A Collection of my Writer's G...

By Soft_Serve7

This is a mixture of my writer's games entries. I can't just leave them forgotten. I like to see how I have d... More

The Tributes
Carnival Games: Form (Maxine Carlos)
Carnival Games: Task 1 (Maxine Carlos)
Carnival Games: Task 2 (Maxine Carlos)
Carnival Games: Task 3 (Maxine Carlos)
Carnival Games: Task 4 (Maxine Carlos)
Carnival Games: Task 5 (Maxine Carlos)
Carnival Games: Quarter Finals (Maxine Carlos)
An Ending for Maxine Carlos
Misfortune: Form (Tessa Whitlens) D7
Misfortune: Task 1 (Tessa Whitlens) D7
Misfortune: Task 2 (Tessa Whitlens) D7
Misfortune: Task 3 (Tessa Whitlens) D7
Misfortune: Task 4 (Tessa Whitlens) D7
Misfortune: Task 5 (Tessa Whitlens) D7 *Semi Finals*
Misfortune: Task 6 (Tessa Whitlens) D7 *Finals*
Misfortune: Results and Awards (Tessa Whitlens)
Misfortune: Form (Aaron Cooper) D10
Misfortune: Task 1 (Aaron Cooper) D10
Misfortune: Task 2 (Aaron Cooper) D10
Misfortune: Task 3 (Aaron Cooper) D10
Misfortune: Task 4 (Aaron Cooper) D10
Misfortune: Task 5 (Aaron Cooper) D10 *Semi Finals*
Misfortune: Task 6 (Aaron Cooper) D10 *Finals*
Misfortune: Results and Awards (Aaron Cooper)
Mall Mayham: Form (Rosella Monty)
Mayhem: Task 1 (Rosella Monty)
Mayhem: Task 2 (Rosella Monty)
Mayhem: Task 3 (Rosella Monty)
Mayhem: Task 4 (Rosella Monty)
Mayhem: Task 5 (Rosella Monty) *Quarter Finals*
Mayhem: Task 6 (Rosella Monty) *Semis Final*
Mayhem: Task 7 (Rosella Monty) *Finals*
Mayhem: Results and Awards for Rosella Monty
When in Rome: Form (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: Task 1 (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: Task 2 (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: Task 3 (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: Task 4 (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: Task 5 (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: Task 6 (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: Task 7 (Tyber Mitango) D1
When in Rome: An Ending For Tyber Mitango
Video Games: Form (Gwen Minty)
Video Games: Task 1 (Gwen Minty)
Video Games: Task 2 (Gwen Minty)
Video Games: Task 3 (Gwen Minty)
Video Games: Discontinued
Downworlders: All Entries (Messidina Perlyne)
Hourglass Games: Form (Maisy 'May' Bellon) D10
Hourglass Games: Task 1 (Maisy Bellon) D10
Hourglass Games: Task 2 (Maisy Bellon) D10
Hourglass Games: Task 3 (Maisy Bellon) D10
Hourglass Games: Task 4 (Maisy Bellon) D10
Hourglass Games: Task 5 (Maisy Bellon) D10
Hourglass Games: Task 6 (Maisy Bellon) D10
Hourglass Games: Task 7 (Maisy Bellon) D10 *Quarter-Finals*
Hourglass Games: Task 8 (Maisy Bellon) D10 *Semi-Finals*
Ribbons: Leonardo Nitel (AnonymousRice4)
Sebastiano Radleau: Task 1

Race Through Time: Alina Grenald (aka-anonymous's games)

6 0 0
By Soft_Serve7

!!This contains all my entries for Alina from Task 1 to the Grand Final!!

Form

Name: Alina Grenald

District: 7

Gender: Female

Age: 17

Weapon Of Choice: an axe (duh, she's from 7) but she is good with swords as well.

Appearance: Alina's hair is a red mixed with brown, almost a maroon colour, it has just the right amount of each colour to be described as pretty. Her hair hangs a little below her shoulders and is always a bit messy. SHe is slim, but has an average build standing at 5'7. Though her build doesn't show it, Alina is strong, she has to be to wield an axe. Alina's eyes are round and coloured brown and her skin is lightly tanned.

Personality: so the rest got lost in my emails.... XD

Task 1 <><><><>

Alina did not notice that her knee was bobbing up and down – it was a habit she had had since she was young. She wasn't nervous, not yet, but part of her was scared: scared that she would face the same fate as her sister did four years ago. Alina looked at her leg and placed a hand on her knee to stop the bad habit, the familiar tap-tap-tap stopped leaving the room in tense silence.

"Zoran Birch." A voice broke the silence. Alina's District partner rose slowly and made his way into his private session. His mother was a victor of a past games, Alina wondered why he was so quiet. The again, Alina wondered this about most people but even her own wild personality had seem to disappear.

"Is there a reason that you're glaring daggers at the floor?"

Alina looked up at the voice. He was well-built, charming would be an understatement. His bright blue eyes sparkled like the bluebells in the forest...

"I wasn't." Alina replied, shaking the thoughts from her head. He was a Capitol boy, specifically Zephyr Thorn. But Zephyr was right, Alina had been staring at the floor with such intensity she hadn't even noticed the babble of conversation around her.

"I think it is dead anyway," he chuckled, "I'm Zephyr, by the way."

Alina brushed a loose strand of her wild hair from her face, "You're from the Capitol, right?"

"Yeah. And you're from District 8, right?"

"Seven," Alina replied to him. She was confused that she could be mistaken for the other girl. Yes, they were the same age and their hair colour was slightly similar but that was as close as it got with them. But Zephyr already knew Alina was from 7, he was just trying to start a conversation from the girl who seemed so nervous.

"Of course! I've seen you training with axes, you've got a mean swing on you by the way." He complimented, and he wasn't lying.

From a young age, Alina had always had an axe in her hand. It was like an attachment of her body and the only reason Alina wasn't homesick was because the axe made her feel like she was home.

"Thanks." Alina said quietly, her cheeks turned light rouge but she covered it with her red and brown hair.

"I am having a really hard time trying to remember your name. What is it again?"

"I'm-" Alina began.

"Alina Grenald." The robotic voice answered for her.

Alina looked a little surprised that so much time had already passed, but she could not resist laughing at the impeccable timing.

"I guess I'll see you later." Alina smiled at Zephyr. Her stomach bubbled nervously but she forced her breakfast to stay down as she made her way into the training area. Forgetting about the boy from the Capitol, Alina tried to imagine Penelope doing the same thing exactly four years ago. Had she felt nervous? What did she do?

She remembered her 13 year-old-self, sitting out in the District square as her sister's training score flashed across the screen. She remembered the tears that stained her cheeks and even though it was cold, Alina was in nothing but a small nightgown. The score flashed in front of her sister's image, Penelope's picture lingered a bit longer than the others as her blue eyes – the blue eyes that never matched Alina's brown ones – stared blankly. The number of 4 flashed in front of her face and the young Alina began crying all over began because she knew that someone who got a four would never win, especially her sister who would never harm a mosquito even if it bit her.

Alina dug her fingernails into her palms. She ordered herself to think about the Games – focus! Alina would not be like her sister. It was a miracle that Alina never cried the day she was Reaped – it was because Penelope hadn't. She had to be strong for her mother, father and Wyren. She had to show them that she would try for them.

The automatic doors opened in front of Alina, and she hesitantly place herself inside the room. She felt adrenaline begin to course through her body.

The Gamemakers recomposed themselves as another tribute entered. Some of them had already helped themselves to a little too much wine while others, the new ones, watched each tribute with the same enthusiasm as the first. Nonetheless, they all turned as she spoke her name, unsure of what else to do.

"Alina Grenald." She said loudly, her voice quavering the slightest, "District 7."

The Head Gamemaker nodded, a sign that Alina could begin. Alina pretended her mother and brother were watching, they had no idea what she could do: Neither did the Gamemakers.

Alina gazed around the room for a moment until her brown eyes landed on a large axe. Her body definitely did not show her muscle, so when she picked up the large axe and headed for the dummy targets the Gamemakers were a little surprised. She took two throwing knives from another station and tucked them into her belt. Alina casually made her way to the practice section, telling herself that it was just like home. She could do this. With her positive thoughts in mind, Alina pressed the green button ,put the settings on hard, and stood on the platform.

In through the nose out through the mouth, Alina reminded herself. Then the hologram appeared before her. Alina acted quickly, swinging her axe just below the neck allowing for her opponent to duck – but because she aimed lower it was an immediate kill. She ducked as a whizzing sound passed over her, an arrow, and rolled back up while swing her axe at another's legs before smashing it's head with the butt.

Alina didn't notice the grin on her face as she spun around with her axe in tow and wedged itself into the digital stomach. Another arrow missed her by an inch and she pulled out a knife. Alina had been practicing throwing knives since arriving in the Capitol, so when it hit her opponent directly in the heart she was happy that she could finally do it. Unfortunately, in her moment a hologram tackled her. Alina forced her body up with ease and smashed the hologram's head. She stood up, one opponent on each side of her, and took a breath. She swung at the one to her left, but ducked at last minute and her two opponents crashed into each other. A sword appeared and Alina blocked it with her axe and dodge a fist from her right. She did feigned swinging her axe to the right before slamming it into the hologram on her left then jumping up and cutting the remaining opponents chest open.

The lights around her faded, leaving her panting heavily but she had a smile on her face. Running on adrenaline she ran to the obstacle course and looped her axe in her belt and grabbing a bit of rope on the way. But instead of jumping for the bars, Alina scrambled up a support pole and swung herself up with ease. She balanced on top of the monkey bars and bounded across them and lunged for the lone piece of rope two metres from her. Her body was flung up and, like a bird, she flew and landed in a shoulder roll to take the impact – like she had learnt the day before – and went onto the agility course. She weaved through the poles and side-stepped opponents before easily scaling the rock-wall. Now was the hard part. The tributes were forced to come up with an idea to get past the next obstacle, the problem was that it never repeated something the same time. This time, a single curtain dangled across the drop to the next platform. It was at least ten metres in length and Alina sighed.

She had to come up with something, and quick. Alina used her knot-tying skills to tie the rope to her edge and she sized up the gap nervously. Begging the Gods to make it work, with all her strength, she threw the axe to the other size. It spun around and around before wedging itself into the side of the platform.

"Hell yeah!" Alina jumped in the air with a grin on her face, then remembering where she was, recomposed herself. By now, Alina's hair was matted and clung to her sweaty face but the girl didn't care. Alina stabbed her remaining throwing knife into the side of her own platform and tied the rope onto. She took a deep breath before gripping the curtain in a tight fist and letting her feet dangle mid-air, but not for long. Alina's arms quickly grew tired and her feet found the rope below her but she reminded herself not to put too much weight on it. She slowly shuffled across, holding, swinging then holding again.

She was halfway across when her hand slipped a tiny bit and the rope took her full weight. She screamed as the rope dropped from beneath her, the knife clanged on the ground beneath her. Her knuckles turned white as she tried to calm herself down. The drop was far from fatal but Alina still didn't like the idea of injuring herself. She clung onto the curtain and hurried across, one hand after the other. It was until she was two metres off that the curtain ripped from the ceiling, there was an audible gasp from the Gamemakers that were watching on. Biting her lip to keep herself from screaming every curse-word she knew, Alina began to rock back and forth on the curtain like a swing. She went higher and higher and when she was just above the platform, Alina let go of the curtain and rolled ungracefully onto the platform. Stunned, that she had actually made it across – Alina laughed. Alina had a beautiful laugh, the Gamemakers wondered why she was laughing in the first place, but who cared – she had made it. Calming herself, Alina pulled out her axe and climbed down the remaining rock wall. She glanced at her time on the screen, 6 minutes 47 seconds. Alina smiled again, she had beaten her personal best and that was the hardest obstacle yet.

Alina wondered around the room, seeing what else she could do. She went over to the edible plants station and sifted through the plants. Alina spent a lot of time here in the past days, the trainer was nice and reminded her of her mother. Alina's wild personality was always present when she was at this station. She cursed as a bit of stinging nettle hit her fingers, and the white spots appeared on her finger. Instinctively, Alina searched for something to fix it. She grabbed some leaves off a small reed plant and wrapped it around her finger, sighing as the coolness hit the sting.

As she looked up at the Gamemakers, she was angry that they were not watching her.

"Hey, isn't it your job to be watching?" she yelled at them. She got to her feet and stormed towards them.

None of the Gamemakers were game enough to reply to the young girl.

"Well?" she shouted. Without hesitation Alina flung her axe towards the podium. It hit the forcefield, and sparks flew everywhere before the axe rebounded back. Alina flattened herself to the ground as the axe sailed over her head and crashed into the spear rack behind her.

At least that showed her reaction time, Alina thought with humour. She went to the spears and picked two up. The Gamemakers were now watching, but Alina didn't care if they were or weren't anymore. She looked for the control box to the forcefield and her eyes landed on a small box in the corner of the room. She aimed and threw the spear at the box, missing by half a metre. Alina groaned and took aim again, the laughter of the Gamemakers played in the back of her mind, but with newfound determination, Alina launched the spear at the box and was rewarded with the lights and forcefield turning off.

Slowly, emergency lights flickered on to show the Gamemakers astonishment to Alina. Sparks sprayed off the black box.

"Maybe now you'll pay attention," she told them, "Have a lovely day."

Alina ran out of the training room with tears in her eyes. She knew what she had done was stupid, so why did she go through with it? Alina was going so well, until she broke the lights and forcefield.

"God, I'm so stupid!" she scuffed her feet on the floor.

"Shame, I thought you were smart." A boy, a year younger than Alina, leant against the corridor wall.

"Shut up!" Alina growled at him.

"Hey, I was being nice," the boy held up his hands in defense. He had short brown hair, which matched his brown eyes. Alina compared him to the Capitol boy she had met earlier and decided they must be related, "I'm Skylar, by the way. District 5." He held out his hand.

"Isn't Skylar a girl's name?" Alina retorted to him.

"Ouch," he put his hand to his heart, "That one hurt."

Alina smirked at the idiot, "I'll see you around."

Skylar shrugged at Alina, "Maybe." And he walked past Alina, heading to his room.

Most the boys around here were arrogant, maybe with the exception of Zephyr, but Skylar was different. Alina felt as if he wasn't fully being himself. I guessed he looked like someone who had a plan to win, but didn't everyone. Alina shook her head and skipped to the elevator.

She would have to make an alliance before her training score got out. Of course, Alina did not know that Skylar and Zephyr were already allies and that all she had to do was ask them to join. Skylar was simply testing to see how smart Alina was but even by talking with her, he had come to no conclusion about the wild girl.

Part of Alina knew she could do it, but it was a mistake to destroy the forcefield. But Alina shrugged it off, what could they do to her? She was already here, and she was already scared. They couldn't do anything to punish her. Alina walked into her room and flopped onto her bed tiredly. She'd figured it out later, but all she wanted now was sleep.

Task 2 <><><><>

This task is written from a sponsor's point of view, which is the actual task.

"Well for starters forget the interviews. They are all so rehearsed you won't get to see who the tribute actually is. I'd recommend watching replays of the readings, observe the tribute's reactions, how they respond. When a person is in shock they are generally stripped of any defensive covering, allowing you to see who they truly are."

"That's a stupid idea!" Roux retorted, "You obviously need to see if they have a sense of fashion, how will you do that if they don't dress up for the interviews?"

"Firstly," Neith said through gritted teeth, she was ready to rip the man's head off, "The stylists pick what they were. And secondly, people do wear clothes outside of this place!"

"Shame, that." Turt smirked. Neith clenched her hands into fists.

"I shall go watch them by myself then." Neith snapped and stormed from the room into a spare conference room in the building. She flicked on the television, grabbed the remote and flopped onto the plush leather lounge.

The screen came to life, showing the build-up to the interviews that would be held later that night and Neith had no interest whatsoever in those – she never watched them. She found the replays of the Reaping on a private channel that Gamemakers only had access to, she ordered herself a drink of red wine and began to watch the Reapings....

---

Neith was furiously writing down notes, with her empty wine glass beside her when the next Reaping began. This one immediately caught Neith's attention as she watched on...

"We shall start with the boys!" the escort announced, her bright purple hair was in a ridiculous afro and it wobbled like jelly as she tiptoed to the glass bowl with the male's names. The day was damp and grey, reflecting the mood of every person in the District. A light shower of rain sprinkled down on the awaiting boys and girls as they waited for two unlucky children to be picked. The children shivered slightly, wishing they had brought warmer clothing and Neith laughed at their terror – what was there to be scared about?

The escort quickly dipped her hand in and retrieved a single piece of paper. Like in every other Reaping, everything was silent and every boy was praying that it would not be his name called – not this year at least. The escort stood in front of the microphone and spoke in her accent,

"Zoran Birch."

No one noticed that a girl, whose little brother was scared that this day would come, was quietly thanking the Gods that her brother had been spared. But she didn't count herself out, not yet. Neith watched, a little boredly, as the camera focused onto a boy who slowly made his way through the crowd, his face was emotionless as he made his way to the stage in complete silence.

Neith sighed, wrote some notes and took a sip of wine. She wanted a victor. Someone who could handle themselves, but she didn't want to predict a Career would win – despite being one herself when she was younger. She wanted to be different, but if a Career was her victor – then so be it. She had to be clever about whom to pick.

"And now, for the ladies." The escort smiled. Now it was the girl's turn to worry. Her name was in there at least thirty times, and her final year of being in the Reaping was the highest chance of being picked.

Neith watched with interest, seeing how the girl would react, her pen was at the ready. It would be nice for a girl to win, Neith loved watching it because it was always so predictable. The boy would be so arrogant and completely ignore the girl until he would be stabbed in the back – sometimes literally. The rain could clearly be seen now as it got heavier, but still the District remained still and quiet. She hated how the escort could walk so slowly, and wished that she could find the effort to fast-forward this bit. Slowly, the escort, her afro now slightly off-centre, made her way back to the microphone and unfolded the piece of paper.

"Alina Grenald."

The girl, who had been so thankful that her brother was spared, looked up at the stage. Her stomach twisted but she put a small smirk on her face. She could handle this. The rain had wet her maroon hair and it stuck to the sides of her face. Her chocolate brown eyes showed a hint of curiosity and adventure as the camera zoomed in on her face. Neith smiled at the girl on the screen, the girl was not arrogant – like herself – but she didn't seem overly excited on being picked.

Neith knew that other than the Career districts, District 7 had the best chance of winning. She wrote a note on the girl's reaction, the girl's face wasn't scared nor excited. She was simply amused that it was her turn this year. The girl made her way through the sea of seventeen year olds and into the walkway. None of the children she passed glanced at her – for all they knew, Alina was a walking corpse.

A scream was heard in the distance as Alina's brother screamed out – he had already watched a sister die, he couldn't bear to lose another one. He ran out of the crowd in an attempt to stop her. Peacekeepers came a step closer as Alina embraced the boy. He had black hair, unlike his sister, and he sobbed into her shoulder. Neith made a disgusted noise as the siblings whispered a conversation that would never be heard by anyone else other than the people in it. Neith was about to cross Alina's name off her list – a victor couldn't be soft, but she stopped as she watched Alina gently push the boy away with the same reaction as she had had earlier, a simple smirk. The camera panned out to show the girl, her maroon hair seldom in the ocean of brown and black, and the boy running to his parents.

Neith figured it was the girl's, Alina's, family but she couldn't help but be impressed that the girl had continued to show no emotion, other than a small smirk. Her family was obviously devastated but Alina continued like it was something she wanted to do – but that's how Alina wanted it to look. She watched as Alina walked, with a slight bounce in her step, made her way up the stairs. She took her place next to Zoran as the rain continued to get heavier and the day got darker. Black clouds could be seen in the distance as the escort said a few words, finishing with,

"Let's congratulate this year's two tributes; Zoran Birch and Alina Grenald!" her voice was loud and echoed through the District square along with the discreet sound of the rain hitting the earth. A few people joined in with the applause, but half-heartedly. Alina and Zoran shook hands and were escorted out of the rain and into the dull Justice Building. All of District 7 left the square in silence, the patter of rain echoing their mood of sadness that, once again, two families would not be celebrating that their child is safe this year.

Even Neith was left a little depressed with the gloomy weather and the silence of the Reaping. So far, all the others had been entertaining and sunny – admittedly, Neith thought, a little boring. Neith took a sip of her wine in thought. District 7 definitely had a good chance, though Alina did not look strong her training score was good and the general training had proven she was more than sound with an axe. As for the Reaping, Neith thought the girl was a good candidate. Perhaps not a victor but with the right help, she could go further.

Neith decided on putting an asterisk next to Alina's name, just like several others before her. She would not pick anyone yet, not until she had seen everyone. Neith had to be smart about whom to pick, after all, there was always someone just a little better than you think.

"Now for District 8." Neith said to herself, pen at the ready.

Task 3 <><><><>

 The room was silent aside from the soft patter of her footsteps. A young woman sat, her legs crossed, on a plush white couch leaning nonchalantly on the arm rest while an older lady with bright green hair and light pink skin sat poised on the edge, like a bird ready to take flight.

Alina paced the room nervously. She didn't know what she was worried about, Alina had formed an alliance and managed to get a sponsor – who was currently in the room – so she questioned why her stomach felt like a hundred butterflies. She felt uneasy. From what she had heard, there were meant to be tubes that pushed the tribute into the arena – there was nothing in this room but the couch.

"Sit down would you, girl?" Neith scowled.

Alina glared at the woman. Her long black hair looked like it was just waiting to be chopped up – Alina smirked as she imagined cutting it all off. Alina wondered why Neith had sponsored her – the woman was practically gothic, with everything black, and then there was Alina – no particular style and a much happier attitude than Neith.

"You shouldn't be so hard on her, the poor dear is just excited. That's all." Her stylist, Folia replied to Neith.

Excited? Is that what her stylist thought she was – excited. Alina rolled her eyes, this was what her sister would have had to put up with.

Nonetheless, Alina took a seat next to Folia and the room returned back to silence. Neith didn't want to admit that Alina's footsteps had given the room a less awkward feel. Alina ran her thumb over the watch she had been holding. It was one of the most expensive thing that she had touched. It was black with pure silver edging, Alina knew that a watch wasn't meant to have arrows that spun this fast though. They constantly circled around the face that Alina's eyes got dizzy from following it.

"Tributes, place on your watch." A loudspeaker ordered. Alina thought it sounded like a rusty machine, but she followed the orders, "Also grab a headdress."

Alina raised her eyebrows to Neith and her stylist as she clipped on her watch. Headdress? What was that meant to mean? Alina looked around the room confused, little did she know that it did not mean in this room. Her stylist shrugged while Neith gave her an once-over.

"You better win this." She told Alina, "I don't pick losers." Neith added. Those lasts words echoed in Alina's mind as the watch sent a jolt through her body, and the world almost seemed to swirl around her.

-----

Alina didn't realised that she had closed her eyes. She had imagined herself to be on the floor, not sure whether she was alive or dead. So when she opened her eyes, she was surprised. Firstly, she was standing up and most importantly, not dead. She looked around the room, she could smell the earthy smell of mud and noticed that the brown clay was what made up the room. Pretty carvings and patterns covered the wall, Alina didn't have the word for them – hieroglyphs. In the center was a long golden table, Alina could see glimpses of food and weapons but not much because it was surrounded people eating.

Alina did not know she was standing underground with ancient Egyptians that had been extinct for thousands of years. But she noticed a man – who seemed to overpower the others – sitting at the head of the table, a golden headdress resting on his head. It's golden colour gave it an extravagant look and it had dark stripes down the strips that framed his face. Suddenly, Alina realised what the loudspeaker had meant and she also realised that her feet were wet.

She looked down in panic as the water lapped at her ankles. Other tributes had also just begun to realise that they were trapped. Alina dashed to the table, struggling amongst the crowd but she managed to grab a small pocket knife – which she tucked into her wet socks – and an axe, just like the one she had used in training. Other tributes had also began to reach the table and Alina imagined the table to be the Cornucopia – in other words, she thought, this was the bloodbath.

As the water rose up to her knees Alina felt a pair of arms wrap around her and pull her to the ground. She screamed, water filling her mouth, in fright but quickly twisted her body to take a breath. She bashed the handle of the axe against the attackers head. The boy still fought her, though he was a little dazed, he managed to get his hands around Alina's throat, there was a crazed look in his eyes- almost like he wasn't himself. But adrenaline was coursing through her body by now. Alina swung her fist to collide with the boys head and rolled over. She brought her axe down in one hard swing watching as the boys head lolled, dangling only by its spine. His blue-Brown eyes stared back through the water at Alina, shimmering with a crazed and depressed state. Small dark patches surrounded his sunken eyes. Alina shivered as the water turned red and jumped back up. She did not hear the girl from District 12 coming up from behind her stealthily, but Zephyr and Skylar did. Skylar threw a knife half-heartedly, inexperienced with killing, which hit the young girl in the shoulder. She let out an ear piercing scream, bringing Alina's attention to her. Zephyr was on the move, he lunged for her and brought his hammer down in one quick motion causing the body beneath him to go limp, the victim lay floating on the water: dead.

"You're welcome," Zephyr bowed mockingly. Alina smiled back in thanks but the chaos around them both soon caused them to come back to reality.

"The headdress," Alina said, and Zephyr understood. They waded through the water as the other tributes began to find a way out ducked. Weapons clattered around them as the original inhabitants, Egyptians, began to fight back as well as retreat.

"Up there!" Alina pointed to the Egyptian with the headdress running from the room. The water was still rising, now at Alina's waist. They trio waded through the room, eventually breaking into a swim.

"You realise that we are going to drown, don't you?" Skylar spoke as they reached the Egyptian.

"I'm just doing what the voice said, plus," Alina said, "I have a plan." And she did.

Just as they reached the Egyptian with the headdress, a tall boy from 11 stormed towards them. He was determined to get the headdress. A little blood stained his hands and his ginger hair was wet and matted. He came closer abd Alina immediately knew she didn't stand a chance against him. It was lucky, and luck only, that a Career had decided to stay behind for some kills. He was tall and muscular, and he made a bee line for the District 11 boy with thirst for blood clear in his mind.

Alina sucked in some air and disappeared under the murky water, she quickly pulled a pair of legs under I'm hope it was the Egyptian but it was the District 11 boy. He landed a fist in her stomach and Alina swallowed the water. She came up choking and dazed but thankful that the Career and boy from 11 seemed occupied. She lunged for the headdress and ripped it off the man's head, he spoke in foreign tongue and a stream of words that were useless to Alina came from his mouth.

"Have fun with your staring contest?" Zephyr growled at her, "We have an issue." He gestured to the water that was rising.

"I didn't ask you stay behind," Alina scolded, "So just shut up!"

Alina threw him the heavy headdress and grabbed her axe. She swung into the clay wall with ease and pulled her axe back out. She looped it to her hip and began using her hands.

"How about you idiots stop staring and help!" Alina shouted, she turned to see the Career slit the ginger boy's throat.

The boys joined in frantically, the water rising to their necks by now, and the hole in the wall slowly got bigger. Alina led the way, not admitting that she doubted her plan, and she began digging upwards and away from the water. The water followed them like a tracker, but the slope had slowed it's ascent. Alina shoveled through the mud and eventually levelled out a small space.

"So now we drown?" Zephyr sighed, exhausted from digging, "Great idea, tree hugger."

"I didn't see you coming up with a better idea!" Alina replied with an equal amount of anger, "There probably wasn't another way out. Plus, no one stuck around long enough to get the headdress."

"And it almost killed is, or it still might." Zephyr growled at her.

Alina thought about beheading him then and there but thought better of it. She knew they couldn't stay on here for the entire time.

"We'll be fine." She told the boys. She didn't realise that she said it more for herself than them, "We'll be fine." She repeated softly, clutching her axe in her bloodstained hands.

Task 4 <><><><>

 "We'll be fine."

As she rocked back and forth, clutching her bloodied axe, Alina was still murmuring those same three words. She hadn't noticed the disappearance of her fellow allies, Zephyr and Skylar. Not that she would miss them, sometimes she found the two boys quite annoying. The sun beat down on her back, and as she wondered how it had gotten warm so quickly when she was underground, Alina opened her eyes slowly. She hadn't noticed the rocking of the boat either, or the cheers that surrounded her. But as she stood up slowly, everything came into focus.

Though she did not know it, Alina was in Ancient Rome. The Colosseum, in her time, was long gone but it now stood with all its glory. She was surrounded by Ancient Romans, all cheering and awaiting the battle. The Colosseum was a place for gladiators – a place where blood was spilt. It was only now that Alina took in her surroundings.

She was on a small boat on one side of the arena. The Colosseum was filled with water and had several other boats floating in the gentle rocking of the water. Alina was having trouble trying to balance and as she almost toppled overboard, she spotted the spears that randomly dotted the ground, all sticking upwards waiting for someone to fall. She looked up as the whole crowd went silent. Directly in front of her was another girl, her wavy brown hair was tied in a loose ponytail and her build was small with pale skin. Alina recognized the girl to be Harlow from District 13, Alina didn't really think of her as a threat. Moving her gaze further up, Alina saw a lone man with his hands up in a gesture of silence – he was Commodus, the only Emperor who was brave enough to take part in the gladiatorial battles himself.

"Ave imperato morituri te salutant!" he shouted. And the crowd repeated the phrase.

Alina and Harlow were equally clueless to what the phrase meant. Translated, they would have known that it meant 'We who are about to die, salute you!'

The Gamemakers had not gone easy on the two girls. Usually, gladiators would have been allowed to wear some sort of armour, but today Alina and Harlow stood in nothing but the clothes they wore from the beginning – the simple jumpsuits with their District number on them. Alina still clutched her axe in one hand, the only weapon which she had, and Harlow held a slim sword made of iron. The only other weapons were the spears in the ground as far as Alina could tell.

As she took another look around, she noticed five other boats the same size as hers but she could not see inside them. She had no idea what they contained.

"Tributes." A voice spoke inside Alina's and Harlow's heads, "It is time for you to fight, only one will make it out alive. May the odds be ever in your favour."

Alina could have sworn the voice was right next to her, she was unsure of what to do. But Harlow would do anything to get out of here alive, and she was willing to make the first move. She began paddling the boat towards Alina with speed. Alina scrambled to find her own paddle before beginning to move the boat. Alina had never rowed a boat before nor had she been in one, but Harlow knew enough to get an advantage. Alina was slow in getting her boat to move and Harlow's boat rammed into the back of Alina's causing the boat to spin around and Alina fell to the floor of the boat. Harlow jumped onto Alina's boat with her sword ready. Alina grabbed her axe and got to her feet as Harlow lunged. Alina easily dodged Harlow's clumsy attempt and spun around landing her elbow right on Harlow's back. Harlow cried out as she thrust the sword again at Alina, Alina swung her axe around making a metallic clash. Harlow's sword was lightweight, Alina's axe was much heavier and when Harlow lifted her sword again, she found it was bent. Cursing, Harlow looked for an escape and decided on jumping to the next boat. Alina figured she would rather stay on this boat, but she didn't have much of a choice as a flaming arrow hit the side of the boat with a thunk. Alina looked around curiously and her eyes widened as the flames licked up inside the boat. She quickly jumped to the next one.

Alina decided that she didn't like the Romans. They were crazier than her – and that was saying something.

Alina already knew Harlow was on the boat, but she didn't expect the snakes to be. As she landed on the bow of the small boat, it rocked slightly but the snakes remained coiled. Harlow had been delicately picking her way through the snakes and turned as Alina jumped on. Harlow's face was pale as she froze in place when a snake began slithering towards her. Alina grinned mischievously. She liked to come up with very weird and crazy plans. She carefully picked her way through the snakes until she was a few meters from Harlow – who was picking out her own path, too distracted to notice that Alina had gotten so close. Alina bent down slowly and picked up a snake by its head so it wouldn't bite her – she had learnt how to do this because some older men who worked cutting trees found a lot of grass snakes.

"Harlow!" she called quietly, gaining the girl's attention and as Harlow turned around, expecting an attack, Alina threw the snake at her causing the other girl to scream and jump around frantically. This, of course, woke the snakes as she jumped around trying to get the snake off her. The snake eventually flew out of the boat and into the water as Harlow stared in horror as all the snakes began to move and hiss. Alina hadn't thought the plan through because she realised that she, too, was on the boat. Alina quickly balanced along the side of the boat and jumped for the next one, landing in a commando roll and jumping to her feet. As she looked up, she saw the two huge brown bears sleeping. Alina muttered several curses as one bear yawned and opened its eyes, staring directly at her. She heard the thud next to her and then Harlow quietly cursed.

Harlow was more than mad at Alina, and she let it show when she tackled Alina. Alina knew making more movement was a stupid idea of Harlow's, because 13 is meant to be smart – obviously not. Alina and Harlow rolled around, throwing punches and kicking each other until the hit the side of the boat. They didn't even notice the bear until it's shadow blocked the sun. They both screamed in unison and scattered. Alina thought it would be smarter to get rid of one bear first so she swung her axe at one leg before retreating. Harlow was having her own problems with the other bear so Alina figured it would be safe to focus all her attention on the bear. She dodged it's huge paw and swung her axe into the bear's stomach, and she struggled to pull it out. The bear let out an ear piercing cry and got on all fours and charged at Alina. The boat was rocking furiously by now and Alina stumbled as she tried to get her axe which had fallen on the ground. She ducked as the bear lunged over her and landed on the spears under the water. It moaned in pain an Alina took a quick peek. It was déjà vu for her, reminding her of the Egyptian tunnels as the water mixed with the blood. She shivered and as she turned around Alina was knocked to the ground by Harlow. Harlow had blood covering her face where the bear had hit her and she held a knife in her hand. Alina grabbed Harlow's arm as she tried to stab her and they wrestled each other. Alina lifted her knee up into Harlow's stomach and threw the small girl into the side of the boat. As Alina was walking towards her, Alina smelt a horrible smell. She looked behind her to find the bear Harlow had killed was on fire.

Alina couldn't believe it. It made her hate the Roman's even more – and the Gamemakers. If she ever made it out of here alive, they would get a beating. Alina ignored Harlow and looked for an escape. There was some rope on the side of the boat so Alina quickly tied it to her axe and threw her axe as the next boat – just like she had done in training. It reeled the boat in as Harlow got to her feet. Alina jumped onto the next boat and began to paddle away. She didn't notice that Harlow had quietly crept aboard.

Alina examined her injuries. She had a few claw marks on her arm where the bear had hit here and dirt still caked her hands from being underground. Harlow decided to attack now, taking Alina by surprise and causing them to topple off the boat. Alina thought she would die for sure but, to her own surprise, the spears didn't hit her – or Harlow. Instead she noticed the alligators swimming towards her.

"You've got to be kidding!" she screamed and kicked Harlow aside and swam to the boat. She dug her axe into the side of the boat and hauled herself up. She was shaking from the cold water and she thought Harlow was dead as the girl began to scream. She jumped onto the boat, tired, and Alina easily hit the girl to the side.

"I hate this effing game!" Alina shouted as she bashed the girl. She was angry. She missed her family. She missed working and being normal. She didn't care that her emotions were taking over her.

Alina stood over Harlow, her axe ready to kill. But part of her was hesitating. This was not like training or like killing a bear, Harlow was a real person. Alina met Harlow's gaze, the only thing Harlow was feeling was fear. Fear that Alina would kill her – Alina was fearful that she would kill her. Why couldn't she do it? Alina let her axe fall beside her, loosely holding the end. What would her little brother think of her killing others? The boat suddenly hit the wall of the arena and Alina was thrown off balance. Harlow rolled further to the edge of the boat, scrambling for a hold as her feet dangled above the water. Alina met Harlow's gaze for a moment before breaking it away. It was so easy just to push her off the boat and let her fall to the spears and alligators. It was so easy just to bring the axe down on her body. Alina could have done it. She already has already killed one person, why stop there? Alina moved closer to Harlow, the crowd egging her on as she raised her axe. Alina had already tasted blood once, and each kill made her one step closer to home. So why would she stop when she was already a murderer?

Task 5 <><><><>

Alina had killed animals before, in District Seven, but not once had she thought about killing a human in cold-blood. Yes, Alina had killed at Nitokerty's Feast but it was her only hope at survival, that wasn't in cold blood. Alina could feel the blood coating her hands but no matter how many times she washed them or wiped them on her pants – the blood would not come off. This blood, of course, was metaphorical. Alina could see the blood on her hands, but it was not real. She could see herself bringing the axe down on Harlow every time she closed her eyes – Alina doubted that she would be sleeping ever again. In fact, Alina was so freaked out, that she hadn't noticed the arrow spinning on her watch, taking her out of the Colosseum and into the age of Robin Hood. She also didn't notice Skylar come up beside her.

"I see you made it through unscathed," Skylar said, startling Alina. Alina turned to him, Skylar had mud in his brown hair and a few cuts scattered his arms.

"Don't I always." Alina smiled at him, not wanting her ally to see her anxiety. But Skylar picked it up.

"Who did you kill? I got matched with a kid called Mango, easiest fight of my life."

"Considering you haven't had many fights in your life," Alina smirked, she was going to say Harlow's name but it got caught in her throat – the blood reappeared on her hands again and she looped her axe on her belt and wiped her hands on her pants. She promised herself from the beginning that she would try to win for her brother; did she expect to win by not killing anyone? Alina didn't know what she was expecting but she told herself that she would not hesitate any longer.

"Cat got your tongue?" Skylar teased, but he was stopped by the voice in their heads.

"You stand in the late-medieval period, home to the popular folk figure of Robin Hood." Alina and Skylar glanced at each other, with no words, "As you may have guessed, you're at a festival. This festival is for an archery tournament. Your task, however, is not to win the tournament. Rather that you must retrieve the silver ring that sits on the prize giver's finger: Maid Marian. Good luck, tributes."

"I killed Harlow, for the record." Alina told Skylar before beginning to walk through the crowd, she could see other tributes, some alone while others still had strong alliances. Though Alina didn't completely trust Skylar, she knew that they had each other's backs for the time being. Alina also knew that Skylar wanted that ring as much as she did.

"I'm surprised you haven't noticed Zephyr's absence," Skylar said, walking alongside her. Alina, in fact, had noticed Zephyr's disappearance. She missed the boy's weird Capitol vibe but Alina also knew that if he couldn't make it through a fight then he wasn't meant to be in the alliance.

"Ever heard of the Code?" Alina said, searching for this Maid Marian. To Skylar, she looked very distracted and scattered today.

"You mean pirates?" Skylar raised his eyebrow in confusion.

"'Whoever falls behind stays behind.'" Alina quoted, "Right now, we have to get that ring."

Skylar grinned, "I like your way of thinking!" Alina had changed, she was no longer the frightened girl – she was fierce and fearless. Not like her sister who had been in the Games several years earlier. Not like her sister who had already been killed by this time. No – Alina was stronger. That's why she had been sponsored. She could win, just get the ring and move to the next stage – simple. Alina remembered her own Reaping as she smirked. Some might call her crazy, but she loved every moment.

"Skylar," Alina grabbed his shoulder and pulled him out of view beside a small cart, "I have a plan..."

-----------------------------------------------------------

They split ways at the cart. They knew that a kiss from Maid Marian would be given to the winner of the archery competition – it was all these medieval people talked about – but neither of them were good enough to actually win the competition, they were good enough to kill though.

Alina swiped an apple from a store and munched on it thoughtfully. She had been full of adrenaline and hadn't eaten since the start of the Games – let alone had something to drink. Alina did her best to avoid other tributes, she took a drink from a pail of water while the owner wasn't looking and disappeared into the crowd. She watched as Skylar grabbed a bow and sheath of arrows for the tournament and she also noticed some other tributes alongside him who had the same idea – in fact, almost everyone was there. Alina counted ten before looking around for the eleventh. He was closer than she thought. The tributes in the tournament got ready to fire their first arrows, Alina only glanced at them for a second before spinning around to find herself facing Felix Flammel – none other than Harlow's District partner. Alina swapped her apple for her axe.

He charged at her with impressive speed as the pair rolled on the grass. Alina kneed him in the crutch and snatched her axe off the ground. She had to do this quickly and get to Maid Marian with Skylar. Felix groaned but noticed Alina's cut on her arm and dug his fingers in it. Alina stopped herself from screaming and elbowed Felix in the jaw.

"You want me to kill you? Just like I did to Harlow – it will be all too easy." Alina teased him. His eyes raged like fire as he threw his knife at Alina – who only dodged it by a few centimeters – then Felix punched her in the stomach. Alina moaned but didn't let it phase her. She embedded her axe into his leg before bringing the blade of the axe into his chest. She heard his bones crunch and his body went lifeless. She quickly ran away from the scene, down to the river. She quickly washed her hands, the blood melting away in the pristine water. She sipped the water and then sprinted around to behind Maid Marian. Alina didn't realise she had taken Felix's knife from him – she already had two – but Alina was grateful she had. As she crawled up the bank Alina could see the silver ring in the sunlight sitting on the woman's finger. She got to the top of the bank just in time. Skylar gave a slight nod, one that Alina returned and there plan began.

Skylar didn't aim for the target, instead he aimed for Charlemagne. Skylar hit the large boy in his bicep and let another arrow fly before he bolted. Charlemagne fell to the ground as the second arrow hit him in the chest. All the men in the tournament were confused – as were the tributes – but they didn't realise that Skylar had left a small piece of dynamite just before he took off. The explosion was small, but it was loud. Maid Marian tumbled off her stool while everyone else around the tournament was thrown to the ground.

"Rebels!" Alina shouted from behind the bank, "Disguised as the King's men! They've come to attack!" As if on cue, the King's men arrived to capture Robin Hood. They didn't expect to be attacked by their own people. The knights rode straight into the tournament and a battle began. Metal clashed with metal and blood dripped onto the grass beneath them. It was a hectic and crazy plan but Alina knew that it would work somehow. She ran to Maid Marian just as Skylar reached her.

"How did you know they were coming?" Skylar asked Alina, panting.

"I sent for them. They are really obsessed with catching a guy called Robin Hood. Weird, right?" Alina replied. She grabbed Maid Marian's hand and the lady screamed. Skylar covered her mouth while Alina worked on the ring.

"It won't come off," Alina pulled the ring but it wouldn't come off.

"Imbecile." Skylar muttered, "Switch." They switched spots, Alina holding Maid Marian down and Skylar worked on the ring. He pulled as hard as he could but the ring would not budge.

"I told you." Alina said.

"Shut up!" Skylar snapped and got out his knife, "I'm getting this ring, one way or another!" He cut the finger clean off. The lady bit Alina's hand, making Alina lose her grip. Maid Marian screamed out in pain, while Alina sat there in disbelief. Skylar held her finger with the silver ring gleaming on it. Skylar grabbed Alina and hauled her up.

"Let's get out of here." He said. And they were. The world began to fade around them, taking them to a new age. Alina wondered what godforsaken place would be next as he and Skylar disappeared from the ground.

Task 6 <><><><>

The Gamemakers and tributes were mixed amongst each other. The girl who had been so fond of her axe was sad to find it gone, while others were happy that there was food and drink on offer. It was a masquerade ball: no one knew who anyone was. Soft classical music was played in the background and many of the Gamemakers had taken to dancing around on the dance floor together. The girl who had lost her axe was disappointed in the turn of events, but she was still on alert. Her chocolate brown eyes peered through the mask with curiosity. What had happened to killing people?

The music ceased as a man in a wheelchair came forward and onto the stage ahead.

"A special welcome to our tributes here today," he spoke, "I know you all have your guards up, but I assure you no killing will be happening here, not yet anyway." He added with a sly smirk behind his mask, "Think of it as a pit stop, if you will, but there is one compulsory task. A box sits on a pedestal on the dance floor, it is a death box. You are to put one of your fellow tributes names on a slip of paper and place it inside. I do hope you enjoy yourselves." Chess disappeared from the stage and the orchestra began to play again.

She had never worn a dress, so Alina was amazed to find herself wearing crimson ballroom gown with short white sleeves. A knot of anxiety built up an in her as her hand constantly wondered for her axe. Alina told herself not to worry. Besides, having the axe would give her away. And if there was one thing that Alina valued more than her axe right now: it was her identity. Alina carefully picked her way through the crowd towards the food. Trays were full of rich foods ranging from prawns in fancy sauces to chocolate mousse cake with fresh vanilla bean cream. Alina had never seen something extravagant in her life. Alina grabbed a piece of the mousse cake and devoured it with a single bite, without hesitating she grabbed another before spotting some crackers which were decorated with herbs and salmon. She put one in her mouth and closed her eyes. It was the best thing she had eaten in her life.

"It never ceases to amaze me how they come up with this stuff." Alina gave a small yelp of surprise as Skylar came from behind her. His mask was decorated with blue patterns and small drops of water were a common feature as if water were dripping down his face. Alina studied the boy for a moment, his long sleeves concealed up the tattoos that normally covered his arms but his brown eyes had that small glow that Alina always noticed. She recognized his voice though. Alina swallowed her food before replying.

"That's not hard. You're easy to amaze."

"I have to disagree with you." Skylar grinned though Alina couldn't see it, "How's the food going for you?"

Alina could still taste the mousse in her mouth so she grabbed a glass of clear stuff and downed it. It bubbled in her mouth but tasted nice. She felt a wave of happiness come over her.

"Do you even know what that is?" Skylar asked Alina with a roll of his eyes.

"Nope. That's the best part; I don't know what any of this is!" Alina threw her hands up in the air. She had a buzz in her mind, "Who cares?!"

"Shut up, Alina!" he hissed, and Skylar quickly grabbed her arms and dragged her into a side room, "That wine went straight to your head, didn't it?"

"If I'm going to die, I want to have fun. And that's not the wine." Alina added for good measure. She tapped Skylar's head to make the point.

"Since when did you care about dying!?"

"Since I got a wave of sentimentality," Alina replied then brought her hands to her mouth. She wasn't normally like this, Alina didn't know why she realised it just then, "What was in the food?"

"I have a feeling it's just you."

"Funny," Alina retorted with a fake laugh, "I couldn't help it if I was hungry. And since when did you care if I had a death wish?" Alina questioned him. Skylar faltered for a moment but recovered quickly.

"I'm only being a good ally," he snapped, "Do you want to dance or are you going to continue eating drugged food?"

Alina felt alarms going off in her head. The fuzziness left her body and Alina was left with a popping feeling on her tongue. She shouldn't be distracted, but there was a hidden meaning that Alina couldn't quite grasp. Skylar was arrogant – he wouldn't want to dance just for the fun of it. What would dancing have to do with scoping out who is left. And why did he care if she wanted to die or that she was drugged slightly? Alina sighed mentally: Skylar would always be a puzzle that she could never decipher. No one would care that she couldn't dance. Everyone has masks on anyway. Then again, that didn't stop Skylar from finding her. Alina smiled at the thought of Skylar going up to everyone and being his arrogant self while trying to find her.

"I don't know how," Alina said, her cheeks going slightly red. Not that she had to worry about being embarrassed, no one knew who she was and no one could see her face. Of course, Alina hadn't picked up the fact that her mask was fire. A flame licked up the side of the mask and shades of red and orange melted into each other along with small red jewels following the flames.

"I'll lead. See if you recognize anyone when we're dancing." Skylar grabbed her arm and Alina was dragged along behind him as they went back into the ballroom, "That is, if you aren't still drugged."

"I'm fine," Alina replied stiffly, not caring about his teasing. Now, Alina had to focus. As promised, Skylar led the dance. Alina followed slowly and watched her feet but she quickly let the music control her. When she looked up, confident that her foot wouldn't stand on Skylar's – again – Alina was reminded of her ballot. The name she would put inside the box. Her eyes swept the room quickly but the masks wouldn't give anyone away. Her mind was blank when it came to who was left. Alina figured that most tributes would be around the food, therefore they would be a little more disorderly than everyone else – at least for a while. The food and wine had made her feel happy, so maybe it was meant to ease everyone up and make them less likely to start killing someone. Seemed reasonable, Alina thought with a small shrug.

She was too caught up in her thoughts to notice someone slip the paper into the box. Instead, she caught the person walking away. Alina quietly cursed to herself. She most definitely did not want to be the last one to put a name into the box. The only question bugging her was who. Skylar was out of the question: Alina trusted the he would leave her alone. But who were the other threats. Oddly enough, this year all the Careers were already dead: a very rare occurrence in the world of the Hunger Games. So who else would be a threat, better yet who could she ballot and still leave some competition around for herself? Alina thought back to the bloodbath, the music had become a blur in the background and the dance steps were coming to her automatically, now Alina was in her own mode. If word ever got out that she balloted someone who was ridiculously hardcore – she was dead meat.

Someone who she could remember was Balthier Storm. She unconsciously rolled her shoulders, as if to test them. He was the one who had shoved her to the ground. Alina had only felt the impact of it for a night but it wasn't to say that it did not hurt. He had been one to stay in the shadows at training but in the bloodbath he had given Alina one shove – a hard one, at that – before running off like a coward. Unfortunately Alina couldn't recall any other incidents. Running through a small list, she wanted to keep some people around for the fun and the enjoyment of the Games. Then again, Alina didn't want to waste her ballot on someone who was weak: like someone from one of the 'lesser' Districts. Balthier was probably a good option, he wasn't a huge threat but he was big enough to make Alina worry. She also didn't like the fact that he hadn't made enough appearances like the others. Someone who hid in the shadows – unlike herself – wouldn't be a worthy winner.

"What-" Alina began to say but she realised that the mask did not belong to Skylar. This person had a jade green mask with turquoise jewels. Skylar's was a blue mask mimicking water. Her words quickly changed to, "Who the hell are you?" Which was spoken in the most disgusted tone Alina could muster, without knowing it.

"That's not very nice," the person replied with a hint of Capitol accent – definitely not Skylar. Alina gave an exasperated sigh and shoved the person away.

"Idiot!" Alina muttered, "Just leave me with some Capitol pansy cake while you go off and do whatever it is you do. I don't mind," Alina continued in a harsh whisper to herself, "He was probably some creep trying to feel me up. How could I have been so-"

"Stupid, thoughtless or so senseless to get caught up in your own thoughts. I could continue the list if you want, I have plenty of terrible adjectives that can describe you." Skylar teased.

"Right now, I have plenty to describe you too!" Alina growled at him with her fists clenched. It was lucky she didn't have an axe in hand because a thousand ways to decapitate and de-limb him were running through her mind.

"Couldn't be the last one to put the paper in, could I?" Skylar said, gesturing towards the box where Alina could see only two pieces of paper remaining. Alina cursed quietly under her breath for the second time that day. Forgetting about Skylar's departure, Alina made a beeline for the box.

"Why do I make allies with the most annoying people?" she muttered with the pen poised against the paper. But she would never consider writing down Skylar's name. She would right down the person who was not only responsible for her shoulder in the bloodbath, he was now the person that had distracted her enough for Skylar to disappear. And she caught blue eyes from across the room and Alina knew instantly that he remembered her. So she wrote his name and slipped the paper into the box. She left the pedestal quickly after that and not long afterwards she felt the familiar feeling as the world around her began to fade, the music distorting in the background as she moved on to the next place in history.

Task 7 <><><><> World War II

It was pouring rain, and if Alina hated one thing it was rain. She was completely drenched, and she could feel herself slowly sinking into the mud. She waited and waited for the sarcastic comment about her hair, maybe along the line of looking like a soaked cat. But it never came. Alina waited for him to say something about where they were; more importantly when it is. Skylar's arrogant comments never came but Alina held her breath to hear him.

But he never came. The dawn air was cool and the occasional gun fire of the snipers hidden in the trees cracked through the air. Alina was in army uniform, complete with gun and knife. She studied the gun for a moment, eyeing the trigger. Alina preferred the knife in her pocket. She could smell the putrid stench of foot rot and decomposing bodies, she longed for Skylar. But if he was a target, then she didn't want to be seen with him. But it made Alina scared that she was next; the next kill would be her.

"Welcome to World War 1, tributes," a voice popped into Alina's head, "You are in the midst of war, however you will not be battling them all. You have the simple task of assassination. Adolf Hitler, 25 years of age, fair skin and short dark hair, is your target. You should be able to identify him by his name badge on his uniform. Good luck, tributes. And may the odds be ever in your favour!"

So she was in World War 1. Alina scrunched her nose in disgust. Adolf Hitler was her target. Alina couldn't let herself be weak, not now. Winning the Games was within her reach; only eight people were left. Adrenaline began to kick in, and Alina began to feel like an assassin.

Something beside her stirred, Alina could barely see. She didn't know that thousands of men lay asleep in the muddy trenches, but she would soon find out. Alina cautiously made her way down the trench, a sucking sound each time her boots lifted from the mud. Occasionally a rat would scuttle across her foot but it was too quick for Alina to spot. She kept going, further and further into the maze of trenches. She was wondering how in the world would she find this 'Hitler' person in such a huge place; it was impossible. Her thoughts were soon distracted as more guns began to fire. The sun was rising and a faint glow was cast upon the battlefield. Looking behind her, Alina saw hundreds of men prepare themselves for a day of war.

"Why couldn't everyone sleep?" Alina muttered, and continued her way through the trench.

------------------------------------

Alina had walked for at least an hour. She had grown accustomed to the constant hail of gun fire and explosions around her, and that was when she ran into Balthier. Alina muttered a curse, she thought that he would be dead by now.

"Finally, someone to kill!" he grinned and pulled out his gun. An explosion went off beside them, showering metal around them, Alina acted quickly. First she kicked the gun and loosened his grip on it, then she spun to the side and barreled into him. She pulled her knife from her pocket and slashed his hand. The gun was now buried in the mud. The rain still showered onto them as Alina plunged the knife below his ribs and pulled up towards his heart. Her breathing was heavy as the adrenaline ran through her.

"Finally, you're dead!" Alina mocked even though Balthier was, indeed, dead. That was one less problem on her list. Now for Hitler.

She picked up her speed, dodging stray bullets and metal, and weaved through the men, she kept a straight face as a body came tumbling over the trench and landed in front of her. She was thankful that there were no wars in her time, at least not yet. Distracted, Alina ran into a person; but he looked more like a wrestler.

"Soldat!" the German General shouted at her, "Um Ihre post zu erhalten!"

Alina didn't understand him, who could speak German? She backed away from him, the anger was obvious in his voice, and ran. He was simply telling her to get to her post, which unfortunately meant she would have to fight. Alina didn't want to risk her life any more than she already was.

"Fangen sie!" the General ordered, and a soldier chased after her. Alina ran through the mud, it sprayed up her pants and she lost balanced more than a few times. Her hair stuck to her face and she brushed it away, causing her to run into another person. Tall, muscly, ginger hair and a distinctive scar running along his jaw: Alina knew it was Charlemagne.

"Run!" she shouted. Alina must have sounded desperate because Charlemagne didn't move to kill her, instead he began to run. The pair weaved through the trenches, keeping just ahead of the German soldier chasing them. He fired a shot at the pair, hitting Charlemagne in the leg. He fell to the ground clutching his leg, as well as having a severe asthma attack. Alina stopped for a moment, watching as the soldier closed in. She met Charlemagne's eyes, he wanted her help. He didn't want to die. But Alina left him. She took a corner and sprinted then ducked into a small space filled with a desk and chairs. Another death at her hands, but Alina shrugged it off; so many were already. Right now, she had to get home.

She panted and wished for water, even though it was pouring rain Alina knew it was luck that she hadn't been hit by a stray bullet; and she didn't like to mess with luck. Thankfully, it was luck that Alina noticed the footprint on the ground, it stood out from the others. She bent down, hearing a thud. The knife buried itself in the clay, it would have hit her square in the back if she hadn't moved. Felix jumped on her like she was prey. Alina grunted and rolled around on the ground as they fought. Alina managed to get her knife out and catch it on his hip, but the skinny boy got out of her grip. He went to retrieve his knife but Alina ran her knife down along his back. Felix screamed in agony so Alina quickly covered his mouth and straddled him.

"What's it feel like to be so close to death?" she asked him. Curiously, Alina hovered the knife over his heart. She could almost hear it beating faster and faster as it lost blood, "I'm the one holding the knife, yet I can feel death's cold finger tips begging for me to join him. Is it closer than that?" her voice dropped to a whisper, "Cold fingertips Felix, tell me what it's like?"

Alina plunged the knife through his ribs and into his heart. The life seeped out of him quickly as Alina left the room and running into another person.

"What is it with people today?" Alina sighed exasperatedly.

"Wer bist du?" the man said, translated to 'who are you' but Alina didn't know that. She was too busy staring at the badge sewed to his uniform; the one that said 'Hitler' in clear capital letters.

"Thank God for English letters," she grinned and lunged at the man. Alina knew she had to do this quickly, otherwise he would get the upper hand. A fully trained soldier, even if he was only a messenger boy, could beat her. Alina stole his knife from his pocket and elbowed him in the jaw as he fired his gun – thankfully hitting no one. Alina barely noticed they had moved outside in the struggle, the rain was lighter now and the sun was covered by grey clouds. Hitler fired his gun again, hitting the general who was standing a few feet ahead. Another shot meant he was dead, by now there were onlookers. They both struggled to get the upper hand, Alina thought she was a goner as Hitler's arm went around her neck. She did the only thing she could think of; Alina chomped down on his arm and swung around to stab Hitler. For a moment, Alina felt in slow motion as, for the third time that day, Alina's bloodstained knife went into another victim.

Alina stood in the rain, with Hitler's dead body hanging limp in her arms. Thunder boomed in the distance as she dropped the body to the ground and the men around her stared at her and the two bodies. The general lay at her feet and the messenger boy, Hitler, was slumped against the trench wall. Alina couldn't speak German, but she knew they were angry. The mud splattered onto her face but the rain kept washing it away, the rain also washed away the blood from her hands. Her hair stuck around her face like a mask, like the one at the ball. This time Alina was thankful that the world began to fade around her, the World War disappeared and left all the bodies and murderers behind. All except for her.

Task 8 <><><><> Semi Finals

The three Gamemakers watched on as the tributes travelled through time, until they reached a huge city that none of them knew the name of – nor did they care. The six tributes appeared in the midst of the 21st Century in a crowd of people. None of them knew where they were. But it was exactly where the Head Gamemaker, Chess Winchester, wanted the tributes. Dare and Ravena watched the screens in amazement as fancy cars hurried through the streets like tiny ants.

"You'll see," Chess murmured to Dare and Ravena and then to himself, "My creation will live on."

------

The crowd parted around a lone girl. Her hands were still tinged brown and red from the blood and mud from the War, but it was the least of her worries. She felt so alienated in the crowd, none of them met her gaze as they continued down the busy street. The girl slowly wrapped her arms around herself and told herself to get a grip. She couldn't cry. Even though she was scared, she couldn't cry. Even though she missed District 7, she couldn't cry. The girl pinched the skin on the arm.

"Don't cry," she whispered to herself, her voice was slightly shaky.

Suddenly, the girl remembered her sister – Penelope – who was in the Hunger Games four years ago. Penelope wasn't like her, Penelope was quiet and reserved. She didn't kill anyone but made it past the bloodbath, before District 2 took her.

"Are you scared?" the young girl asked Penelope as they sat in the Justice Building.

"I'd be silly not to be scared, Alina."

"You don't look like it," Alina studied her sister's face. Little did she know, all Penelope wanted to do was cry.

"The trick is not to show it. Even if you want to cry, you have to be strong."

"So if I'm not crying now, that makes me strong, right?" Alina said.

Penelope smiled and looked down at her younger sibling, "That depends, do you want to cry?"

"Yes,"

"I guess you're pretty strong then."

Alina smiled to herself and hugged her sister. That was when the Peacekeeper came in and grabbed Penelope out of her grip. Both of them wanted to cry, but they didn't.

"Don't cry for me, Alina, don't cry for anyone." Penelope whispered and the Justice Building door slammed shut. One week later, Alina watched her sister die on live television. She didn't cry, instead she felt stronger – and she was.

Alina took a deep breath and drifted into the sea of unknown faces. Alina could feel District 7 in her fingertips so she couldn't give up, not yet. So Alina did the same thing the day she was reaped. She put on a simple expression of amusement as she wondered through the crowd.

All the way back in the Capitol her sponsor Neith watched on with a smirk on her face. This was why she had picked Alina: she was strong. And even though her ally was long gone, Alina kept going. Nothing would slow her down, not when she was so close. As rain began to fall on the city, Neith remembered Alina's reaping and somehow, it almost was the same.

Dark clouds grew over the city and the rain began to fall harder. Many people put up umbrellas and from above Alina's maroon hair could be seen amongst the black umbrellas, as if she was the shining opal surrounded by stone. She knew she was different from all these people, but she felt like she was in her time. She shook the feeling off and continued to flow with the crowd. She looked up in amazement at all the shops and buildings she passed. Alina could smell so many different and strange foods, and she could see clothing hanging in windows. Even signs glowed brightly on the dim day. Alina had never seen anything like it, not in the Capitol – not anywhere. She was so absorbed in the street that she didn't even hear the Gamemaker's announcement until the end.

Alina hurriedly stared down at her watch to see a lady with frizzy blonde hair and pale skin. She looked about 50, and Alina immediately knew it was another assassination task. But this lady looked seemingly harmless and Alina began to question why she followed the Gamemaker's orders. The name flashed on the screen, Suzanne Collins. She wiped away the drops of rain which had partly obscured the face just as someone ran into her.

"Cool watch!" the person said and Alina met their eyes. Alina did a double take, as did the girl. They both stopped in the crowd and, once again, the ocean of people parted around them. The rain fell onto both of them as they stared in awe. Alina felt as if she were staring into a mirror. The girl's brown eyes matched her own and her maroon hair clung to the other girl's face just like hers. It was chopped roughly and dangled loosely at her shoulders.

"Who the hell are you?" the both said in unison. They studied each other again. Alina noticed the girl was wearing dark denim jeans with rips above the knees and a patterned purple and navy top which was sleeveless. Alina turned her attention back to the jeans.

"Have you been in battle or something?" Alina asked curiously. The other girl looked down at her jeans and laughed before looking at Alina – who had, coincidently, just come out of World War Two. Even though Alina was wearing similar jeans, with no rips, and a plain black t-shirt it did not hide the fact that Alina had mud smeared on her combat boots or that she had blood and grit on her hands.

"Have you?" the other girl laughed but she liked Alina. Who wouldn't like to meet their exact self in a different universe? Not that either of them knew that.

"Actually, I have. I killed a man named Adolf Hitler," Alina said with all seriousness.

The girl laughed, "Sure."

"I did."

"What are you on? If it makes stuff that real, I want a piece."

"I'm not 'on' anything!" Alina insisted to the girl.

"Cocaine, weed or whatever: you don't have to tell me. But there's this mean party going on if you want to come. I want to trick some of my friends, make them think that they are seeing double."

Alina stared at the girl. Back in Seven, no one would have a party that is 'mean', who would want to?

"I know, stranger danger and all that. Blah, blah, blah. Who cares, right? It's not like I'm some creepy guy dressed up as a girl." The girl grabbed Alina's hand before she could do anything, "By the way, I'm Alina but everyone calls me Lee. What's your name? And, for the record, I'm not some creepy guy dressed up as a girl."

Alina was really confused by this girl. Was this what Alina was like back at home? Or was this some crazier version of herself? Alina decided to let loose. Suzanne Collins could wait for now.

"I'm Alina too," Alina said.

"Okay, this is some creepy shit. Where are you from?"

Alina recalled what Lee had said earlier, "Stranger danger, child." Alina teased.

Lee laughed, "I knew I liked something about you. Now, let's get to this par-tay!"

Lee pulled Alina through the crowd with hesitation – as if they had known each other for years. Is this what it was like in another world? Lee was fearless and wild – Alina wondered how she would have turned out if she was different. Alina had always been so serious about winning when, really, all she was doing was convincing herself to ignore the problems. The fact that her sister had died doing what she was doing, the fact that she really hated the hunger games, the fact that Skylar was gone and the fact that her family, or anyone, could afford any indulgences. If Lee was really Alina, then how would she have been?

"Do you have a sister?" Alina asked as Lee began to lead Alina across a road full of yellow cars.

"Yes," Lee said, she wondered how Alina could have known this, "Her name's Penelope, why?"

"Just wondering," Alina said thoughtfully. Penelope was alive here. If the Hunger Games didn't exist, Penelope would still be alive. Even Alina wouldn't have to worry about her fate of being dead.

Just forget the Hunger Games! Alina told herself. She wanted to pretend she was part of this world.

So, she did.

------

The music was so loud in the club that it shook Alina's bones before she had even stepped inside. Lee pulled her in to join the crowd of sweating bodies as the danced and jumped to the music. Alina had never seen anything so crazy in her life. People were laughing and having a good time – and Alina felt envy wave through her body.

"You coming?" Lee shouted over the music, Alina barely heard her.

"Can we dance first?" Alina shouted back. Lee nodded and the girls were swept up into the mosh pit. Alina let the music flow into her body as she jumped to the beat. She had never done something so outrageous in her life – she was having fun. Alina laughed as she danced with Lee and spun around and around. Suddenly someone grabbed her around her waist. Alina screamed, but not loud enough.

"Help!" she called out for Lee but her cries fell on deaf ears. No one could hear her as the music got louder. Alina was dragged through the crowd. Alina soon realised no one was going to respond to her calls, just like in District Seven, so she knew that it was up to her. The person dragged Alina out into the rain, which had gotten slightly lighter as the day went on. She squinted and shaded her eyes as the person kicked her to the ground. She opened her eyes slightly, just enough for her to see her captors.

Beth and River seemed to tower over her, even though Alina was taller.

"I got dragged out by freakin' kids. That's embarrassing." Alina rolled her eyes as she realised that the Hunger Games weren't quite over – and they weren't easily forgotten. Alina quickly jumped up and recovered from her head spins.

"Look we just need your help to find Su-" Beth began but Alina cut her off.

"I'm not falling for that again, you psycho. I'm not stupid." Alina sneered. She longed for her axe as she clenched her fists together. The girls were only 14 or 15, Alina knew she was stronger. With no weapons, this would be a battle of strength.

"I think that's debatable," River retorted as she lunged for Alina. Alina stepped aside and shoved River behind her into some garbage bins. River cursed as Beth went next. She kicked Alina in the shins but Alina recovered quickly with a swift punch to the temple which dazed Beth a little. River jumped on Alina's back, causing the girls to fall to the ground. Alina muttered several colourful words before kicking River in the face. She heard a satisfying snap as River's nose broke.

"What the hell you crazy b-" River yelled. But Alina barely heard her because Beth lunged again and Alina only just had time to swing her leg around to meet her head. Beth landed on the ground with a thud, but still breathing.

"I'm not going to kill you this time. Next time, if you ever get in my way: watch out." Alina told them. She ran back into the club to find Lee. Then she remembered what Beth was saying about finding someone. Alina still had to find Suzanne Collins! What would happen if she didn't? Would the Capitol come to find her and kill her? She wanted to stay here forever and see her sister in another light of life. But what about her parents and Wyren? Would they want to lose another daughter?

"There you are!" Lee called as she spotted Alina. Alina shook her thoughts away. She shouldn't be getting distracted this much.

"Lee, I really have to go." Alina said over the music. Lee didn't hear her but took Alina back outside of the club where the rain had stopped.

"You're eye looks a bit purple," Lee said as she studied Alina. Alina gently touched her left eye and cringed, Beth must have got a punch in, "Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," Alina said hurriedly, "But I really have to go." She thought about Wyren's face at her Reaping when he ran up once her name was called. How she had told him that she would make it back, that she wasn't going to give up or get distracted.

What do you call this then? She thought gloomily.

"Can I help, or something? The party's got a little to many drugs for my liking," Lee said, even though she wanted to go back to her friends. But as Lee watched this girl in front of her, so small and wide-eyed: Lee wanted to help. To her, Alina seemed afraid of something or someone. Maybe even lost.

"Are you looking for someone?" Lee asked softly, "I'm not completely useless, you know." She smiled.

Alina smiled slightly, "Suzanne Collins, that's who I'm looking for."

"I've heard of her, she wrote the 'Underland Chronicles', or something like that. I've only read the first one," Lee nodded, a bit confused that Alina would be looking for an author.

"She's an author?" Alina said more to herself than Lee. Why would the Gamemakers want to kill an author?

"And I just happen to know where she works. My brother loves her books so he stalked her on the internet," Lee continued to explain to Alina as they walked.

Alina had never heard so many knew words. The internet, books, coffee houses, and so many more. The internet was apparently used a lot to find out about numerous things, such as where people live etc. Lee told Alina not to say they did that though, or it would be considered as creepy. Alina was happy to listen to Lee as she absorbed the scenery of huge skyscrapers and big houses with little kids playing in the front yard. Right up until Lee stopped walking and talking.

"I present to you, Suzanne Collins workplace!" Lee said in a dramatic voice.

"And you're definitely sure?" Alina asked.

"Of course," Lee said, glad that she was able to help Alina, "Now, you want to get in the hard way or the fun way?"

"Fun." Alina said with a mischievous grin, "Because I think it involves climbing."

"It's like we have the same mind," Lee said deviously. Little did they know that they were exactly alike.

The pair wandered to the side of the building where they climbed a tree that was close to the building. Alina felt like she was back in Seven as the bark scraped against her hands. She swung through the branches like a monkey until she was a meter from the building, balancing precariously on a thin branch. Lee thought Alina was crazy, but she liked it. None of her friends would ever do this. As for Alina, well she felt right at home. Alina stared across to the window where she had to jump. The ledge was thin but she could stay on it long enough to open the window. Hopefully, she added in her head.

A lone water pipe ran up the side of the building and Alina smiled to herself. It would be perfect for climbing up. Without any hesitation, Alina pushed off the branch and clung to the water pipe. Her feet struggled for a grip so she wiggled her way up and lifted her feet to the ledge. One hand after the other, she managed to crouch on the ledge while holding onto the wooden border of the window.

"How the firetruck did you do that?" Lee said in amazement.

Alina laughed, "A lot of practice." Alina recalled when she had broken into the school just to get her brother his dinosaur he had left in the classroom, one of many occasions.

She slowly moved to lift the window but it wouldn't slide up, "Just my luck." Alina muttered to herself.

But Lee was already fixing the problem. She dropped to the ground and found a medium sized rock and quickly climbed back up.

"Watch out, Tarzan!" Lee said, not knowing that Alina wouldn't get the reference. In fact she wondered who this 'Tarzan' was. Suddenly Alina saw the rock coming and jumped to the safety of the water pipe. The glass shattered as the rock smashed through and clattered onto the carpet floor.

"I have never felt such exhilaration!" Lee squealed.

"Me neither!" Alina sighed to herself. Lee was crazy.

As they safely dodged the glass on the carpet, the pair made their way through the corridor until they reached a door marked with Suzanne's name on it.

"You keep watch at the window," Alina told Lee. Lee saluted Alina mockingly and kept watch as Alina inched open the door into the room.

Papers were scattered everywhere. The tables, the floor and even bookshelves looked as if they had been constructed from paper. Alina quickly scanned the papers but her eyes froze on the words Hunger Games. She read about Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark and their journey through the Games.

Look for something else! Her mind urged her.

She stopped reading the manuscript and turned her attention the coloured notes stuck around the wall. The all said something about a 'mockingjay rebellion' and the 'game to end all games'. Alina realised that this couldn't be real, ending the Games was...well, she thought it was impossible. But this could end all the suffering in Panem for all Alina knew. The Gamemakers could only want Suzanne killed if all this had the potential to be true.

"Hey, Lee!" Alina called, but no response came. Alina peered out into the corridor to find Lee on the ground," Shit!" Alina cursed and ran to her. Lee was still breathing, meaning that the person hadn't wanted to kill her – unless someone thought it was her.

"I didn't kill her, I realised she wasn't one of us." The boy said. Alina's head shot up to find Balthier at the other end of the corridor.

"So you wanted to kill me," Alina sneered protectively.

"Only if you were a threat," he shrugged carelessly.

They both heard a door simultaneously.

"Balthier, don't kill her. You don't understand," Alina started but Balthier had thrown the chair before Alina knew it. It was too late to dodge, so it slammed into her side. Alina screamed in desperation. She had to stop Balthier, Suzanne Collins wasn't evil – she was the key. If she could save her, then Wyren wouldn't be up for another Games.

Before all this, Alina didn't care. The Games were a part of life, something to be avoided. But being in them explains a lot – you begin to understand what people do in desperation, and what they do for their life. No one gets out alive. You can escape but the Games change everyone: Alina thought she wouldn't be changed, but she was. Her personality had faded in desperation to survive, and now she was trying to save someone's life.

Alina cringed at the pain in her ribs as she hauled herself up. The pain throbbed in her body like the music did through her body. She glanced at Lee, her hair flowing around her like a red ocean, Alina knew she would be fine. She stumbled in pain through the corridor, she had to stop herself from falling down the stairs in a heap. She watched as Balthier effortlessly threw Mrs. Collins to the ground like a doll. But it wasn't him who killed her, Alina could see her chest still rising and falling rhythmically. Just at the moment, Felix and Seydi burst through the door with River and Beth right on their tail.

And just like that all the tributes were together and all of them were wondering the same thing:who would kill Suzanne Collins? 

Grand Final <><><><> Incomplete/unsubmitted

Time fell away from the lone girl, taking every piece of what was once herself with it. Her emotions fell away, leaving nothing but a shell of what used to be a person. The girl felt as if she no longer had anyone who loved her. She felt closer to death than ever before: she created death in this and therefore was a part of the inky darkness that had its fingertips tightly wrapped around her leg.

"Do not cry," she whispered for the second time, her voice was soft like velvet. After all she had come through, nothing seemed real anymore: there was no difference. An ancient Egyptian Feast, a battle in Rome, competing with Robin Hood, a Masquerade Ball, being an assassin in World War II and to being an assassin in the 21st century: the girl had leapt through time like dominoes falling in sequence.

What was it all for?

Survival.

------------------

Wyren and his parents waited in the freezing morning as they watched the screen in front of them. Surprisingly, nothing had been televised all night as the snow fell. The girl in the arena didn't know her family was watching her the whole time, hoping she would make it home.

"Mum," Wyren shook his mother, "Look!"

The screen had lit up showing Alina. Her bloodstained hands, the tears on her face: Wyren could tell she was so close to giving up. But he knew she wouldn't: not when she was this close. Alina had had it rough from the start, one of her allies went out early and the Skylar was out not long after. With only three alive, Alina was against two tributes who had been together the whole games. But Wyren believed she could make it home, but he didn't know what it would cost Alina. After all, humanity was something that could be lost: but the question was, could it be found again? Wyren hoped that it could.

-------------

Alina paced the place with several dead bodies in it. She didn't care about who they were, it would only make it harder. She hid the fact that she knew Balthier, Beth and Suzanne lay on the ground. Felix and Seydi had left and she had no idea to where. The ground suddenly shook beneath her and Alina stared at her watch: It counted up and down randomly. Time was spinning out of control.

She had to stop it.

Alina twisted the watch until a screen popped up in front of her. Codes scrolled through until the watched flashed as the ground shook. Alina made the screen pop up again and tapped on the numbers that went past until a time line appeared. She found the date where she was from: her true home. Without hesitation, Alina tapped the date and this time the world didn't spin around her: everything just went black.

She was backstage. Her hands felt the silk that covered her body and the jewel necklace that surrounded her neck. It was unlike the Capitol to be silent. Hesitantly, her hands reached out and parted the red curtain slightly. The seats in front of her were full, the people of the Capitol filled row after row: but they were not moving. She moved her gaze to the seats on stage to find her competitors sagging back on the fancy lounge and the interview slumped with blood on her beautiful dress.

"Hello?" her voice echoed softly but the entire city was still. "Anyone?" her voice broke in fear. Her heart began to beat faster as she moved closer to Felix and Seydi. As she came around to the front of the couch, she gasped in horror.

Blood covered their bodies. Their eyes were gouged out and a love heart was painted on both their cheeks in blood. She covered her mouth so she wouldn't scream.

A flash of light shone over her and all she could do was to clutch onto the paper that was crunched it her hands. Something she had written when she was in 1945.

Dear Wyren,

I wish I knew how long I'd been in here. I don't have any way of keeping track of time, it's ironic that have been travelling through it. I feel so close to home: I would do anything to make it back. Somehow, though, if I make it back I know I wouldn't be the same girl I was however long ago. I've changed and I don't expect you to understand. Seeing people die at your hands, and at others, isn't like watching back in Seven. It's different. You can almost see their soul floating away and the light fading from their eyes. I thought the Hunger Games would be an honour, but it was not. I remember what you said to me the day of the Reaping too, and I'm afraid to follow your words. I did not stay true to myself as you said, Wy, I have lost myself and in that I have lost you too. All I want to do is run my hair through your curly hair and snuggle up in a tree where I can finally be at home. I want to go back to being me, I want to sing even though I'm terrible: I want to laugh like I haven't seen any pain: I want to smile knowing death isn't there. I don't see the good in others either, instead I search for a small fault in them so I can bring myself to kill them. I still remember the crunch of Harlow's neck and the warmness of her blood: all I want to do is forget everything that happened. If I don't ever see you again, don't be sad. I'm not the sister you once knew, instead: I'm a shell of what used to be a human. Stay safe, little brother, and don't ever let yourself be changed like I have: your personality is worth more than your life, if you can't keep one: why have them both?

Love Alina.

Alina didn't read it again. She knew exactly what she had wrote. She had wrote as if she were giving up, in a way: she was. She had one chance at winning, and now she had lost it. She was so close but threw it away. All because time had caught up to her and she wasn't prepared to face it.

The light suddenly disappeared and she gasped as she stared at her face on the TV. Her hair was grey and her skin was wrinkled. She was thin and the dress flowed around her on the floor. Instead of people, bones were scattered around the entire place. Time was changing. Alina held her dagger one final time and noticed the blood on it. She noticed the blood on her finger, the one that she would draw on something with. Exactly the finger she would use to paint a heart on someone. The blade fell from her grasp and clattered to the floor. Survival was the aim, and she had reached it. But she didn't feel like a person.

Instead of feeling like a victor: she felt like a monster. Then again, they really weren't so different – were they? In fact, they were the exact same thing.

Results <><><><>

Alina, from memory, got third place in these games as I missed the deadline for the final task and therefore received it by default

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

304 22 20
One shots of scenes I can't fit into the gazillion books I'm writing, but that want to get out anyway. These stories belong solely to ME. They come f...
1.7K 432 119
Another collection of short stories for all to enjoy. Some will be about me, my friends, and some will be about random characters that pop into my mi...
74.3K 1.7K 50
I really try to make these creative. ;; all are written by me but not all of these are my prompts!
1K 10 28
I've been in a variety writing almost everything lately and now I really want to share more of my writing that isn't just storytelling. I wanted to a...