The Princess & the Football P...

By caniirove

Summary: "They say they want to make the monarchy more modern, to be closer to the people, but then your pare... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38

Chapter 24

1.1K 18 6
By caniirove

Author's note: This chapter may feel a bit weird because here Declan still is playing for West Ham, but in this alternative universe he never leaves 😁

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"Shouldn't we knock? What if she's home?"

"She isn't. She said she was going out with Roberta to that art gallery."

"But are you sure it wasn't tomorrow?"

"It was today."

"I still think we should knock just in case. What if she changed her mind and we ruin the surprise?"

"Philip, can you please stop talking and open the door?"

"Fine" he sighs.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"See? There is no..."

"Mum!" I scream when I hear them walking into the living room.

"Eleanor!"

"What are you doing here?"

"I live here?" I snort.

"Weren't you going to that art gallery with Roberta?"

"That's tomorrow, mum."

"Told you..." my dad whispers.

"What are you doing over there, tho? Where is your shirt? Are you... Eleanor! Is there someone else with you on that sofa?"

"I..." I mumble, looking down.

"Charles?"

"What? No! I'm with... I'm..."

"Hello" Declan says with a shy smile, sitting up.

"Rice!" my dad says. "I knew it!"

"What are you talking about? Who is this boy?" my mum asks.

"This is Declan. My boyfriend."

"Your what?" she yells.

"My boyfriend" I repeat. "You knew I was seeing someone."

"That's... That's... Philip, say something!"

"What do you want me to say?"

"Your daughter is half naked with an also half naked boy! A boy she says is her boyfriend!"

"And?" he shrugs.

"And? And? Philip!" my mum says, hitting him in the arm. "This is not ok!"

"Why not? This is her house, and she is an adult. She should be able to do whatever she wants and with whoever she wants."

"Thank you, dad" I say.

"She should... Did you know about this, Philip?"

"That it was a thing, no. That they fancied each other, yes. I've known for months."

"What?" my mum and I say at the same time.

"I already told you, Ellie. I noticed the way you looked at him when we met him before the World Cup. And I also noticed the way he looked at you, the smiles you shared..." my dad shrugs.

"Wait a minute. The World Cup? Please tell me he isn't one of them."

"One of them" I chuckle. "Mum, he is just a football player."

"Exactly!" she yells. "You can't date a football player! You are a princess, the future Queen! And he is..." she says, dramatically moving her hands in the air.

"Not enough?" I snort. "He is more than what you were when you met dad."

"Eleanor!"

"What? It is the truth and you know it, mum. Yes, you had your degree, a PhD and all that, but when you two met, you had no idea about what you wanted to do with your life. You had no job, no money, and were living with your parents. Declan already has a very successful career, his own money, his own house. He can take care of himself, and you couldn't say the same."

"That's... that's..." my mum says, her cheeks bright pink. "Urgh!"

"Wait, Letizia! Where are you going? What about the party?"

"There is no party!" she yells, closing the door behind her.

"Party? What party?" I ask.

"Since we aren't going to be here for your birthday, she wanted to organise a surprise one just for the family. Us, uncle Jamie, your grandparents, grandmama..."

"Grandmama is coming?"

"Yeah... Guess I'll now have to tell her it's been cancelled."

"Good luck with that" I chuckle.

"She's coming anyway, isn't she?" he says, scratching the back of his head. "And when she finds out about the reason why there is no party..."

"She knows I'm seeing someone, I told her over Christmas. But she'll definitely want to meet you" I say, looking at Declan.

"What do you say, Rice. Are you ready to meet my mother?" my dad asks him.

"I... guess?" he mumbles.

"I'll leave alone you so you can think about it. Or go back to what you were doing, whatever you fancy. It was nice seeing you again, Declan."

"You too, sir" he replies.

"You don't have to meet her if you aren't ready yet" I say once my dad has left.

"I already met your parents while being topless and you on top of me. It can't be worse than that, can it?" he chuckles. "And you said she was ok with us dating."

"That's what she said, yes" I sigh.

"Eleanor, you already met my whole family in one go and when you weren't expecting it. This is the least I can do."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure" he says, caressing my cheek.

"You are so brave, Declan Rice" I laugh, slowly pushing him down until he is laying on the sofa once again.

"That's what they say" he smirks. "Are we gonna continue where we left it?"

"If we want to survive meeting my family, we are gonna need this, yes. But don't tell my grandmother" I say, brushing my lips against his.

"It'll be our secret" he smiles before kissing me.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"I thought we were having a surprise party!"

"That got cancel, grandmama."

"Why?"

"Because mum and dad caught Ellie making out with her boyfriend" Sophie says with a big smile.

"He's here?"

"He's outside with David."

"Then ask him to come in! Poor boy, waiting outside like a beggar or something" she laughs.

"Close" my mum whispers.

"Letizia, darling, did you say anything?" my grandmother says, arching an eyebrow.

"Nothing, nothing. Just clearing out my throat."

"I see... Anyway, go find that boyfriend of yours, Eleanor!"

"Yes, sorry" I say, quickly leaving the room.

"Oh..." my grandmother says when Declan and I walk in, looking at him from head to toe.

"Grandmama, this is Declan Rice, my boyfriend. Declan, this is my grandmother" I say.

"Ma'am" he smiles.

"Ma'am? I'm the Queen Mother, show some respect!"

"I..." Declan says, looking at me while his cheeks turn bright red.

"I was just teasing you, boy" she laughs, taking his hand on hers. "Aren't you handsome?"

"Thank you... Ma'am?"

"Yes, ma'am is perfect. Ellie taught you well, didn't she?"

"Yeah" Declan says with a nervous laugh.

"So you play football, uh? On which team?"

"West Ham, ma'am."

"Oh, West Ham! My sister was a fan! Did Ellie tell you about it?"

"I already knew when she told me. I got to meet her years ago at an event."

"Would you look at that!" my grandmother laughs. "Did she tell you that she became a fan because the man she fancied also was a fan?"

"She actually did, yes" Declan smiles.

"A bit like Eleanor" my uncle laughs.

"But she liked football before meeting Declan. Rose didn't. And Declan... That's Irish, right?"

"Yes, ma'am. My grandparents are Irish, but I was born and raised here."

"Where exactly?"

"Kingston."

"Oh, that's a nice area. Letizia, darling" my grandmother says, linking her arm with Declan's. "Why don't you call for some tea and the cake? Talking without eating or drinking something is too boring."

"Of course" my mum says, trying to force a smile.

"Now, where were we... Oh, yes, Kingston. Always lived there?" my grandmother says, walking with Declan and making him sit on a sofa with her.

"She seems to like him" my dad whispers.

"She does, yes."

"Maybe a bit too much" Sophie chuckles when our grandmother laughs at something Declan has said, resting her hand on his thigh and squeezing it.

━━━━━━❃━━━━━━

"That went well" my dad says once everyone has left, Declan included.

"It surprisingly did, yes."

"Why surprisingly?" he laughs.

"Well, I was introducing you a boyfriend who isn't perfect Charles. And I'm pretty sure you told me that footballers were a big no."

"Who? Me?"

"Yes, dad. You. What made you change your mind?" I ask him.

"You did."

"Me? How?"

"By being happy."

"I... I don't get it."

"Ellie... Eleanor. Since you came back from Canada you've been different. But not in a bad way. Like Camille said last summer, you are glowing, and I'm pretty sure it is all because of Declan. You love him, don't you?"

"I do" I say, nervously playing with my hands.

"And he loves you too. I mean, he met all of us today, didn't he? Only someone truly in love would do that. Or someone too stupid, but I don't think that's the case" he chuckles. "I can't remember the last time I saw you this happy, Eleanor."

"I don't know if I've ever been this happy. Or if I've ever felt what I feel for Declan with anyone else" I confess.

"Oh, Ellie" my dad says, hugging me. "My little Ellie. She's in love!"

"I am, yes."

"Could he be the one? I think he is the first boy we all like."

"All but mum" I sigh.

"Your mother will come around, you'll see."

"You think?"

"She will, Eleanor. She loves you more than anything. But you have to promise me something."

"Anything."

"You and Declan must be extra careful when you see each other. If the press finds out before you are ready, it may hurt you. Especially Declan and his career."

"I know. But David has been helping us, we are in good hands."

"The best. Though you may want to ask him to get you something to put on the door so what happened today is just a one time thing. If you know what I mean..."

"I know" I laugh.

"Maybe a rice bowl sign or something. I don't know."

"Dad!"

"It'll be like a secret code" he says with a teasing smile.

"Thank you, dad."

"What for? The secret code idea?"

"For supporting me. For respecting my choices. I love you."

"I love you too, Eleanor" he says, kissing the top of my head and hugging me a bit tighter.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

44.5K 444 82
Amelia moved to loughborough to get away from her past. The girls go with her. A fresh start, or so she thinks. Amelia plays for England ladies Rugby...
39.5K 900 37
DJ liked one thing and one thing only. Her niece Gabby. Her 6-year-old niece Gabby made her small world feel bigger. So when Gabby told her she wante...
146K 3.5K 32
A nemi story... Nick Jonas & Demi Lovato... what happens when these two friends work together on the neon lights tour?
1.1M 40.6K 93
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...