choices ✨ || 5sos • lrh [COMP...

By eleni_cherie

❝In the end, our choices make us.❞ In which a girl, trying to find a place she belongs to through tv shows an... More

blurb
new girl
0.1 san francisco
0.2 adelaide
0.3 london
0.4 vancouver
0.5 los angeles ;; venice
0.6 new york
0.7 goodbyes
0.8 barcelona
0.9 paris
1.0 drunk
1.1 mexico city
1.2 new orleans
1.3 decisions
1.4 ice cream talks
1.5 ferris wheel
1.6 about stars and fairies
1.7 best friends
1.8 pizza love
1.9 airports
2.0 strangers minds
2.1 secrets
2.2 no dates (special michael bonus chapter)
2.3 funny business
2.5 birthday talk
2.6 supernova
happy endings
final words

2.4 halloween

249 23 105
By eleni_cherie

-i also dedicate this chapter to one of my uncles who sadly passed away due to cancer on 16th November. you'll always be remembered <3 -

»»» song: luca vasta - imperial (i don't wanna dance)

31st October

Halloween. The spookiest day of the year. Originally dedicated to remember the dead, including saints, martyrs, and all the faithful departed. Its origin the catholic Ireland.
No matter if young or old, mostly everyone gets excited for this holiday. Being celebrated all over the world. In some countries more, in some less.

Traditionally, monsters like vampires, zombies and other living deads striking terror into people's hearts that night. However, nowadays it rather shifted to comic heroes and movie characters. The core of the modern interpretation remaining the same though.
-The creeps.
Haunted houses, horror film marathons or just a scary prank.
And of course the parties.

»»»

"Happy Halloween, folks!"
Michael yelled into the microphone as the last drum beats for this night followed. Streaks of hair sticking on his forehead as he joined Calum in the middle of the stage. Luke quickly jogging to them as well. Them smiling widely and clapping their hands. Arms raised up high, waving at the crowd.
The vibrating air was hitting Tally's back as she was taking some last shots. Screams and cheers of the crowd behind her. Yelling their names and I love you's. Only the serious look on the faces of all the security guys remained the same, boring and unfazed.
More beads of sweat were forming on her forehead and her legs started aching by now. And from her close position she could see the tiredness in the band's faces as well. Something that was partially hidden by the animal masks they were wearing for the performance. It was Halloween after all.
However, they still had to take them off occasionally. It got warm enough during a gig anyway due to spotlights and the running around. Masks covering their faces only added to that.
Tally having to fight back a laugh when seeing Ashton's wet hair as he finally accompanied them. Giving her the opportunity of taking photos of him, as well.
Then, the four put their arms around each other's shoulders and bowed, completing their performance. The crowd going wild.

After throwing some last drum sticks and picks into the screaming fans, they ran off the stage. Normal lights switching back on soon later. Staff workers starting dismantling the drums and preparing the stage for the next act. Some artist Tally hadn't heard of before but mainly because she didn't try to keep herself up-to-date with the charts.
Making her way backstage, she heaved a sigh of relief. Brushing past people with basic approaches of costumes. Some with painted face. Some shirts covered by fake-blood and some others a funny headpiece. Anything to be at least a tiny part of the Halloween spirit around.
She even spotted the blue wig of Amy in the hurrying people, making her way backstage as well.
Tally remembering Amy telling her she and Dan would head to a party in Malibu after the gig. Maybe that was why she didn't meet her, like she normally used to.

Squeezing through some stuff people, internally groaning. Even though she loved her job, Tally really wasn't on top form that day. She'd taken another painkiller before the show -just in case. And though she didn't have any cramps, there remained this weird and indescribable feeling of bloating. Plus her overall tired body.
Probably Jess in New Girl described it the best when saying feeling like 'a fat man was sitting on her uterus'. Because that was exactly what it was like.
Indeed the bloodiest day of the year.

»»»

"Are you guys finally ready?" Ashton yelled from downstairs. Him and the other two waiting impatiently for half an hour now.
Calum quickly pressed some more buttons on his controller when noticing Michael was trying to get advantage of it.
"We're gonna leave without you!" he warned then, dodging Michael's attack.
"Just one sec!" they heard Tally's voice, causing them almost simultaneously roll their eyes.
"I swear those two are slowly starting getting on my nerves," the blonde next to him mumbled.
Ashton shrugged, continuing watching them play. "I don't know, I find it cute they're putting so much effort in their costumes. At least more than others." He coughed, eyeing Michael. Calum chuckled, peeking at Michael as well before focusing back on their game.
"Oh, shut the fuck up. You two weren't that creative either."
"At least more than you," Calum smirked to what he scoffed.
"Yeah 'cause it takes lots of creativity to come up with a Jedi costume."
"Hey, just because you all were too lame to make a group costume out of it doesn't mean I couldn't have a Star Wars one."
"Why are you even mocking him? You're the one just having put on a Pikachu -onesie."
Calum nodded. "Exactly. Not even some of the cool Pokémons but the most common one."
"Can you both just shut up already?" he groaned, turning to the giggling idiot. "And you, Ashton? Who are you even supposed to be?"
The older boy interrupted his laughing and gasped, pretending being shocked. "Wow, Michael. Just wow."
"What?"
He shook his head. "Nothing, just wow. How can you not recognise me?"
Michael's brows knit together in confusion. "Why? Am I supposed to?"
It wasn't like Ashton was wearing some obvious costume anyway. In fact, he was wearing normal clothes. Not some he'd actually wear himself, but still normal clothes. He'd look like a nerd to be honest if it wasn't for some fake blood on them and his face.

"Okay guys, are you ready?"
Luke's over-excited voice echoed through the hallway along with footsteps coming down the stairs.
"Are you finally ready?" Calum called out, pausing the game.
"Yes!" Tally yelled. Her being obviously even more jittery than Luke.
They all turned their heads to the direction they were coming from. Wanting nothing more than to finally leave. It was already past eleven after all. Showering to get rid of the sweat and changing into actual costumes took less time than waiting for those two.
And especially Calum seemed wanting to get to this party as soon as possible. Checking the time on his phone for the fifteenth time -not even exaggerating. Ashton noticed him also typing something quite frequently, not thinking much about that though.
"Okay, ready?"
"Oh god, please, just finally show yourself so we can go," the Kiwi whined to what Michael did nothing but agree. And in the matter of seconds, two figures were standing in the entrance. Looking nothing like the persons they knew. And everyone fell silent, just staring at them.
Michael's mouth falling agape. "Holy fuck."
"Are that -?" Ashton started, but was too taken aback by how exact those costumes were to finish his sentence. Same the others.

In front of them standing none other than Jack and Sally from A Nightmare Before Christmas. One of the creepiest film pairings out there.
Tally had even completely straightened her hair, wearing doll-like fake eyelashes. Matching the rest of her make up and the impersonating of the humanoid ragdoll. Completely with fake scars, stitches and even the same patchwork dress. And next to her Luke in a black pin-striped suit. Complete with a bat bow-tie and skeleton gloves. His hair was combed back and completely white along with his face. Tally having painted Jack's face on with black paint.

The girl excitedly clapped her hands, contently seeing their friends in awe. "You like it?"
"Holy fuck," Michael repeated, "That's amazing!"
"You see now why it took us so long," Luke said, before grinning down at Tally.
Tally coughed, crossing her arms in front of her chest. "You mean why it took me so long. I had to paint both of us after all."
He huffed, mimicking her in a mocking way. "Excuse me, but who helped you with the body paint?"
She scoffed. "And who -"
"Guys!"
Both their heads snapping towards Ashton who had one of his dimpled grins on his face.
"You look fantastic, but can you continue your little quarrel in the car?"
Calum instantly jumped up at this, forgetting about the controller on his lap.
"The last one has to buy us candy!" he yelled while storming outside. Leaving the rest dumbfounded.
"Hey.." Tally's brows knit together then, taking a closer look on Ashton. "Are you supposed to be Reid?"
"Finally, thank you!" He grinned, before shaking his head at Michael. Relieved that his costume wasn't the problem after all but Michael's dumbness. "This jerk here wouldn't recognise me at all!"
"Oh now that you say it," Luke nodded, holding his chin, "It does look like him."
The boy in the Pikachu costume grimaced, still not seeing it. "Since when does Reid have blood all over himself?"
"He obviously got shot!"
"Then where's the bullet hole, smartass?"
She giggled, examining it in awe. "It turned out quite well. Told you, you both look like brothers."
Ashton smiled, ignoring Michael's previous comment. "That's what gave me the idea in the first place."
Michael's eyes rolled so far back at the boy's cheesy grin, they almost turned white. "Just move already."

»»»

The bags of Halloween candies Tally had been forced to buy them -everything in between gummybears and KitKats- almost slipping from their hands. It wasn't like they were shocked. No, that'd be exaggerated. 'Surprised' was probably more accurate.
Especially since they almost hadn't recognised the Indian girl walking towards them. Shyly looking away as Calum was gently pushing her forward. The faces of the rest equalling each Friends character when finding out about Monica and Chandler.
And honestly, it did feel similar.
She'd been standing between parked cars in front of Will's house with the loud music and drinking people in the courtyard.
Black pigtails hanging on either side of the brown girl's head. She was wearing a black dress with a white collar and dark circles painted around her eyes. Her signature piercings lining around her ears sticking out a mile.

"Phoebe?"
Tally was the first one to react. Approaching her with a smile and hugging her tightly. Which Phoebe instantly accepted.
"Hey, how are you?"
Tally stepped back, still not believing the girl who'd helped her months ago was standing right in front of her. To be honest, she hadn't believed meeting Phoebe again. At least not so soon.

"Great. And I love your costume! Is that Wednesday Addams?"
Phoebe grinned. "Yes, indeed. It's her." She eyed Tally up and down then, recognizing hers as well. "Yours looks amazing, too. Is that Sally?"
Tally nodded, motioning to the awkward standing guys behind her who were busy throwing questioning looks at Calum.
"Yeah and Luke's Jack."
Hearing his name, the lanky boy looked up from his bag of sour worms and grinned. "Hey." Waving at her, he then devoted his attention back to the sweets.
"Yeah, I heard you guys are together now," she giggled, peeking at the Jedi-dressed boy next to her who was pursing his lips. Desperately trying to avoid the others' piercing glances.
"So wait," Michael barked in then. Curiously narrowing Calum's way-too-low resting hand on the girl's hip. "What's going on? We met Phoebe months ago in -" He paused, his eyes wandering as he was trying to remember.
Calum rolled his eyes. "New Orleans. We met her in New Orleans."
Michael nodded, suspiciously eyeing him again. "Right.. So you stayed in touch all this time?"
It was Phoebe's turn to explain now, since Calum was awkwardly coughing and rubbing the back of his neck. Mumbling a 'maybe'.
She knew Calum had been teasing Michael for something similar and wasn't in the mood for the same happening to him. She found it quite childish, but knew about it. That was all she knew though.
"Pretty much, yes. We kept texting and calling each other."
A mischievous smirk appeared all over Michael's face. "Interesting, indeed. Calum, how come you didn't tell us?" He was clearly enjoying watching Calum's flushed cheeks. Being in reversed roles now.
Revenge was sweet.

»»»

"So how comes you're here? To visit Cal?" Tally asked, taking a sip from her Coke. The two girls standing in a corner as the guys were talking to Will and some other friends. And since Phoebe didn't know anyone in the crowd either, they decided to stay together.
Shaking her head, Phoebe swallowed her own drink. "Nah, I was here for my brother's engagement party and when I told Calum, he invited me to this."
"Of course. This cheeky idiot."
The Wednesday dressed girl laughed. "He really is an idiot."
"And so you guys were really talking to each other all those months?"
Tally still couldn't believe that passed unnoticed by her. Phoebe slightly blushed and quickly took another sip of her beer. "Yeah. I know it's a bit weird since.. Well, you probably remember. When I first met him, we didn't really seem to have lots of things in common."
"Really?" Her brows raised, lips curling up. "I recall you guys were actually talking a lot."
Phoebe laughed under her breath, putting the empty bottle aside. "Cause he was desperately trying to find something we could talk about."
Tally let out a sharp laugh as well. "Sounds like something he'd do." Calum could become quite persistent if he wanted to. "And how comes you guys ended up texting after all?"
The black-haired girl shrugged, leaning back. Tally copied her move. "I don't know. I found him cute and funny, I guess. And talking to him feels easy, never forced."
Glancing at the crowd, she saw him squeezing himself through the sea of costumes. A pair of fairy wings almost poking his eye.
"Tal? I think Luke's looking for you," he said. Loud enough to be heard over the obnoxious party music. Tally was honestly just there for the awesome costumes.

Her gaze wandered to where his thumb was pointing at. Seeing the white painted head of her boyfriend behind a group of superheroes. She nodded, peeking at both of them and smiled. "Alright, see you guys later." She knew exactly Luke was tall enough to find her among the mess of people -which he actually did only a few seconds after she left.
And she also knew Calum only said it to be alone with Phoebe. Which she found was adorable, so she played along.

"Hey, where you searching me?"
Luke narrowed his brows when reaching her. "No, but since you're here now.." His grin looked ten times creepier with Jack's mouth painted on his lips and cheeks. "You wanna dance?"
Her eyes grew wide. "You know I can't dance."
"I'm pretty sure you can," he persisted, his grin growing wider. Remembering catching her dancing to Arctic Monkey only a few days ago. And she sure as hell knew how to move to a rhythm.
Dragging a sigh, she held out her hand for him to grab. "Only one song." "Sure."
And she got dragged to the middle of the crowd by him.
To be honest, she didn't really know what to do now. So she just put her wrists on his shoulders and rested her head on his chest. Closing her eyes, she soon sensed his hands around her waist. Trying to dive into the not so upbeat melody, her body soon moving to the beat.
Luke smiled and pulled her closer, leaning down till his lips were close enough to her ear.
"We can live like Jack and Sally if we want. Where you can always find me. And we'll have Halloween on Christmas."
Furrowing her brows, her eyes slowly opened again. A puzzled smile on her lips. "What was that?"
He smirked. "Just a song I really like." She nodded, leaning into him again. Head back on his chest. "I like it, too."

»»»

"Oh shit."
"What?"
"Oh shit, shit, shit."
They were making their way through the slightly intoxicated people when Luke started cussing all of the sudden. Quickly, he took Tally's hand in his and pulled her behind a wall. Nervously peeking behind it every now and then, only adding to her increasing confusion.
"Luke, what's wrong?"
He ignored her question, again glancing into the other room. The whole scene starting frustrating her and so she simply glanced herself. Trying to make out what tragic thing he might've seen. "Why are we stalking those people?"
"Shhhhh, she might hear you," he shushed her, pressing himself against the wall once more.
"Who? What are you even talking about?" -This boy was surely confusing at times. The music was too loud for anyone to hear who wasn't in a two feet radius of them.

His eyes fell on her questioning ones. He sighed. "You see this girl in the fairy costume?"
She narrowed her eyes at the partying crowd and indeed. Next to the drinks there was a fairy talking to a Mario. She looked familiar, she'd definitely seen her around before.
"She's one of my ex.. flings."
Her eyes grew wide and went back to his, staring at him for a moment.
"O-kay. And why are we hiding? Is she a psycho or..?" She chuckled, not getting his point.
He rolled his eyes, watching Michael passing by, not even noticing them. Seeming like going straight towards the fairy, making Luke squeak and quickly grabbing his onesie. Pulling him back as well.
"What the fuck?!" Michael growled, almost spilling his drink.
"Y-you can't go there."
Arching a brow at his nonsense, Michael took a sip from his cup. "AMD why?"
"Aria's here."
Michael's expression quickly changed from a confused-annoyed one to a holy-fucking-shit one. Green eyes widened.
"Are you serious? Where?"
The blonde pointed behind the wall. Michael leaned a bit forward to peek behind the corner, before facing them again with a slightly panicked look. "Oh fuck. What is she doing here? Did Will invite her, too?"
"I don't know," Luke responded with an anxious undertone.
"Would anyone explain to me what's the matter with her?" Tally interrupted, still not getting anything. "She's one of Luke's ex bimbos," he explained, "And last time we toured in LA she kinda stalked him."
"She didn't stalk me."
"Well, but she showed up at a show and then kept calling you even though you told her it was over. Or not?"
"Actually," Luke coughed and corrected, "She'd ended it last year and then suddenly decided to contact me again."
While they were arguing about the details, Tally was trying to remember any incident but couldn't. She'd probably been oblivious to the back then. "When did this happen?" she asked then, making both their heads snap to her direction.
"Oh, when was it again, Lukey?"
Luke gave him a pissed look. "You know exactly when. In Vancouver."
"Right," Michael cheekily grinned, "Wasn't that when I also found out you had something spare for our lovely Tally here?"
"What?" Tally exclaimed.
"Oh yes, you see, Lukey here rejected her attempts because of you."
Feeling her cheeks heating up, a small smile tucked itself on her lips. She glanced at Luke, him pursing his lips embarrassed. "Why didn't you tell me?"
"Because," Michael continued, undertaking the narrating role, "When we came back a month ago, we heard from some friends who knew her that.. well, she had a little breakdown after he'd told her this." Tally's jaw dropped, covering her mouth with both hands. "Oh my god. The poor girl."
"Poor girl?" Luke repeated, staring at her with raised brows.
"What? She had a breakdown after all," Tally argued.
"Okay true. But that's why I want to avoid running into her. Okay?"
She nodded when catching two familiar shapes from the corner of her eyes. Seeing them going outside to the backyard.

Michael and Luke followed her gaze. A smirk forming on all their faces. "Look who we have there. Our newest otp," Michael said.
"Should we follow them?"
They arched a brow at the grey-blue painted girl. Her quickly holding up both hands in a defending manner.
"It was just a suggestion."

»»»

"What are you doing there?" Ashton giggled when spotting his friends crouched next to the terrace entrance. His cheeks tinted pink from the drinks he'd have.
All three simultaneously shushing him by pressing a finger on their lips.
"Did they hear us?" Luke whispered. The music not loud enough at this part of the house to actually cover their voices.
"I don't think so," Michael whispered back, daring to peek at the pair again. Some other party guests were scattered around the backyard as well. Lucky for them, though, their objects of investigation had decided to settle for the back porch. Making it easier to listen.
Ashton's hazel eyes narrowed them puzzled, not getting it. "Why, what's going on?" he asked in the same whispering tone. Crouching as well now.
"We're observing Calum and Phoebe." A quiet giggle followed Tally's words. The older boy smirked. "Isn't that called 'stalking' though?" He was too drunk to actually care and scold them like he'd probably do at their immature idea.
Michael groaned. "Shut up."
He shrugged and joined them in eavesdropping their friend.

"Look, I just don't get it. Okay?" they heard Calum's voice. He seemed to be mad about something.
"You don't have to," Phoebe's voice responded in a much lower tone.
"What are they talking about?"
"No clue."
"But, Phoebs, he's a jerk and you- you're running like a puppy as soon as he calls."
"I do what?" she gasped, "You literally got no right to say that."
"It's true though, isn't it?" Calum said. "He sent you a text and all of the sudden you've got to leave tomorrow."
For a while it was silent -well, except the music and people's chatter in the background obviously- and it made them wonder if the two were still there.
Ashton's level of thinking rationally and logically was low enough for him to start leaning to the side. Trying to see around the corner. Luke quickly pulling him back by the shoulder. Preventing him from being seen by them.
"Guys, I start to believe that's none of our business," Michael spoke under his breath.
"Me too."
Tally and Ashton nodded. However, right when they wanted to move the two started speaking again. Making the four go back to their previous positions, forgetting what they'd had just said.
"You don't understand and I can't explain."
"Oh, I think I do understand pretty well. You always complain how he keeps dumping you for other girls, but you forgive him every fucking time!"
"What do you expect me to do? I know it's stupid but I can't just switch off my feelings!"
Their voices started to raise.
"Your feelings?"
A small silence followed.
"Y-yes, my feelings."
Calum audible huffed at this.
"How can you still have feelings for him?"
"I-I don't know."
"Okay."
"Why do you even care, Calum? It's my messy life and my stupid decisions."
"Are you serious now?"
"Yes."
"Wow. I wonder if you ask your other friends the same."
She remained silent again. "What's your problem?" she snapped then.
"Why is it so bad that I care for you? Did that asshole make you so used to be treated shitty?"
"You just care too much. You shouldn't care so much for someone like me," she breathed. Voice shaky.
"I do though. Maybe that's just my stupid decision."
"Why?" And there was actually a little spark of something like an expectation in that simple question.

The four wannabe spies exchanging glances.
-Yeah, why? Though they could imagine why. It was pretty obvious after all. He liked her.
"I.. I don't know."
Michael facepalmed himself. "Oh, you idiot."
"You.. don't even know," she sighed, before the sound of steps followed
"Phoebe -wait!"
And it went quiet.

Ashton, who had sobered a bit down by now, was the first one to speak out loud what everyone else was thinking. "What the fuck just happened?"
"In general or right now?" Luke asked, jokingly.
Ashton thought for a moment. "Right now."
Tally leaned to the side and carefully glanced at the terrace. It was empty. "I think she ran off and he ran after her."
"Seems all girls are drama queens," Luke sniggered under his breath
Earning once more Tally's elbow against his arm.
"No, wait," Michael said then, pointing outside. "He's coming back."
"That's not good," Ashton said.
Tally nodded, staying up then. Hands on her hips. "Okay, listen. I'll go find her. She's alone and upset and probably needs someone to talk to." "And that someone is you?"
"Dead right, Hemmings," she countered to Luke who was pursing his lips. "And you try to calm him. Obviously without mentioning that we were listening to their fight. Alright?"
She was sounding serious while giving them orders, like a general. And it was funny to them. So the three guys raised a hand to their forehead, saluting. "Alright."

»»»

"Hey."
The Wednesday-dressed girl looked up, seeing Tally standing next to her. Quickly, she wiped under her eyes before offering her a small smile.
"Oh, h-hey."
"Is everything alright? Why are you sitting here all by yourself?"
Of course she knew why but chose to let her speak about it only if she wanted to. Also it'd be quite embarrassing to admit they'd been listening.
Phoebe's green eyes were staring at her for a few seconds, before she averted them again. Her hands resting on each side of her. Fingers clutching into the grass she was seated on. The pounding of the music rang faintly in her ears. She sighed then, glancing over her shoulder to the direction of the house.
"You probably know Calum better than I do. Maybe you can explain to me what's going on with him."

Tally nodded, glad that Phoebe actually felt like talking about it. It was in Tally's nature to try and help out people.
"What happened?" she asked. Taking a seat next to her she noticed how dry the grass felt.
"Remember I mentioned having an on-off thing last time I saw you?" She nodded again, pulling her legs closer.
"So I do know how stupid that is and I swear I don't have a low self-esteem for keep letting my ex mess with me -" "But?"
Phoebe sighed again. "But I can't help it, you know? He once was so sweet and caring. And I remember the nice things he did for me. He was my first love after all."
Tally pursed her lips. That was probably what Calum meant by her always running back to him.
"And what does Cal have to do with all this?"

Phoebe started chewing on her lips as her eyes laid on the dark ground. "Calum keeps telling me I'd deserve better and that I'm a fool. Not with these words, but I know that's what he means."
"And isn't he right?"
She glanced at Tally and back down. "Probably."
"So why are you sitting here alone while everyone's inside, partying like in a teenie show?" It honestly reminded her a little bit of those house parties they'd used to have in almost every Vampire Diaries episode. Phoebe giggled, shrugging. "I don't know, we argued. It was stupid." "Okay."
"Basically, I got a text from my ex asking where I was. And I recalled not having studied for a test next week yet. And Calum kinda assumed I wanted to go back for my ex."
"So you only want to leave to study?"
She shrugged, fumbling the hem of her dress. "Y-yeah?"
"I think the reason you were mad at Cal wasn't because he was wrong. Rather because he was right," Tally stated. Staring into the wide sky above them. She could even spot some faintly shining stars. She faced Phoebe again then. "Are you actually still in love with your ex or with the feeling and memories?"

The brown girl's lips fell agape, blankly staring at her. "Wow," she breathed then, "You should write self-help books."
"I'm serious," Tally laughed.
"So am I 'cause I actually think that's it."
Tally smiled, a yawn escaping her mouth which she quickly covered. What time was it anyway?
"Well, at least we now got to the root of the problem," she said then, "I think you've got to realise that the person you're in love with only exists in the past. And you can't just bring him back. He simply changed. We all do but he chose to change in a way that is harming and hurting you. And others."
"With others you mean Calum, right?" Tally nodded.
"Can I ask you something?" Phoebe asked then, shifting her body towards her. "Does.. does Calum have a crush on me or something?"
"I don't know. I didn't even know you guys were texting up until a few hours ago," she laughed.
Narrowing her brows, Phoebe hummed. "I knew he had his reasons with the boys. However, I assumed he'd have told you something at least."
Tally cocked her head, confused. "Why?"
"I don't know. He once told me you'd give great advices. So I just thought -" She dragged a sigh. "Nevermind."
"You know," Tally started then, "Calum is a quite complicated person. In all those months I know him, I still can't really put a finger on what type of person he really is. I know he's fun to be around with and a pretty laid back guy." She paused. "I think people sometimes mistake him for a party- or fuckboy, but he's a good soul and quite deep. Just a little scatterbrained. He simply isn't the type to straight up show his feelings. But he's also quite withdrawn at times he's insecure. Which he tries to hide. And I think in the case going on between you two, these insecurities might be that you still hang on your ex. And that's actually why he neither told me nor his best friends. And he simply disguises that with the obvious fact that Mikey would seek for revenge."
"Scratch self-help books. You should become a therapist!" Phoebe exclaimed, laughing.
Laughing under her breath, Tally rolled her eyes. "I'm just good in analysing people." -The reason Luke always joked she should become a member of the BAU.
Phoebe smiled, nodding to herself. "I guess I'm understanding him a bit better now. Thanks."
"And to come back to your previous question: I do think he has a crush on you."
She furrowed her thin brows. "I thought he didn't say anything."
With a smug grin, Tally leaned over and winked. "Why would he have insecurities otherwise?"
Phoebe's eyes grew wide.
"He's a good guy. Like, he does have his past with girls like the rest -I mean one of Luke's exes is literally on this party- but I actually believe all of them undergo a change. One way or another. I think if he indeed has feelings for you, that they're real and not just superficial."
"He really is a good guy," Phoebe whispered, smiling. "And he's a great listener. And he always knows how to cheer me up."
Tally smiled, agreeing. "True. I forgot to include that in my analysis."
"You know," the Indian girl said then, "I like him a lot. Texting with him is always the highlight of my day."
"Aw, that's cute," Tally cooed.
"He doesn't deserve to be treated like this." Her eyes got teary. Tally noticed her breaking voice. So she scooted closer and put an arm around her.
"I think," Phoebe sniffled then, "I think I should take a break of guys in general. Take some time to reevaluate and just focus on school and my novels."
She just needed some time to find out what she really wanted. So no one would get hurt anymore. Neither her nor Calum.

»»»

Surprisingly the streets were not as empty as someone would expect at five in the morning. The pavements filled with costumed friends strolling back home from parties and bars. Some yelling, some laughing loudly. Swaying in each other's arms. The sky a cold black.
Their car driving north, passed palm trees and skyscrapers.
Michael had fallen asleep on one of Will's couches. Drooling over his onesie. So they'd decided to let him peacefully continue his sleep there. Knowing he'd rather die than stay up in this drunk state and probably trip on his way to the car.
And since the rest had had a few drinks too many in the course of the night as well -or didn't even have a driving licence like Tally- they were now cramped in an Uber. Ashton on the passenger's seat and the others in the back. Not wanting to wake up her family -something unavoidable, they'd offered Phoebe to sleep at their house. She could sleep in the empty guest room.

Everyone being half-asleep by now. Ashton's cheek almost sliding down from his fist, making his eyes abruptly flutter open.
Luke had his forehead pressed against the cool window. His eyes growing heavy with every minute that passed when suddenly feeling something putting weight on his shoulders. He glanced down, smiling. Tally had fallen asleep, her tired head laying against him. Her blue makeup being smudged at some parts by now. He turned his head back to the window and laughed under his breath. Same applied to him, he noticed.

"Hey, Cal," Ashton called quietly and Luke glanced at their friend on the other side of the seat.
The black-haired boy seemed to be lost in his thoughts. Propping his chin on the palm of his hand while observing the passing buildings.
Ashton got only a humming as response, making him shift in his seat to look back. "Are the girls sleeping?" he asked Luke then. His blue eyes wandered to the potentially newest group member next to Tally. Green eyes shut as well. "I think so."

"Calum," the dirty-blonde said again. Eventually getting Calum's attention this time.
"What?"
"Why didn't you tell us about her?" Luke instantly eyed Ashton. Him quickly sitting back at his stare. Knowing it was maybe somewhat hypocritical of him asking this. He couldn't help but being curious though. Although they all knew the answer already.
Calum slowly took his hand down, facing them and shrugged. "Had my reasons."
"Mike teasing you?"
Biting down on his plum lips, he moved them from one side to another. "Not only," he said, uncomfortable shifting in his seat. He then lowered his gaze, looking at the sleeping girl next to him. Her head slowly dangling with every of the car's movements. "It's complicated."
"Why?"
"It's complicated."
"Okay."
They grew quiet again. Accepting the fact their friend didn't want to talk about it. And to be honest, it didn't even surprise them considering they knew what those 'reasons' were. They'd wait for him to open up on his own.
"By the way, did you guys know Aria was at the party, too?" Luke asked then, changing topics.
Both their heads perking up, staring at him wide-eyed.
"No way," Ashton gasped, gaping at him. "Did she see you?"
He shook his head. "Nah, me and Tal hid behind a wall."
Not even Calum could suppress a chuckle. This actually lifting his mood. "Very classy, Luke."

More trees and houses began appearing. Less and less people on the streets. The night fell quietly around them.
Soon the car stopped in front of their house and Ashton took out his wallet to pay the driver. Luke got out, placing his arms around the still sleeping Tally and carefully lifted her. Carrying her against his chest, he shut the car door with his foot and made his way towards the entrance. Somehow managing to keep his balance.
He knew he could've simply woken her up. However, he decided that would be too cruel considering how cute she looked -and how whiny a forcefully woken up Tally could be.
Calum watched his best friend carrying his girlfriend. Feeling a hot ache streaming through his chest. His brown eyes wandered to Phoebe then, whose cheek was slightly touching his arm. He gulped, unbuckling himself. He lifted her on his arms as well, carrying the sleeping girl to the entrance.
All three now standing in front of the gates, waiting for Ashton to finally get out the keys.
As adorable as both girls looked, they started getting heavier each second that passed. It was early in the morning after all and they were equally as tired.

As Ashton twisted the key in the key hole, Calum looked down at the caramel-coloured girl in his arms. Not able taking his eyes from her.
She was beautiful, in every way possible.
Her lips slightly parted, loose streaks from her pigtails swaying in the night air. He noticed her eyelashes moving then, her eyelids uncovering her irises. Locking gazes with his for just a second before closing again. And he could swear he saw a shadow of a smile crossing her lips then.
And he felt lost.
The hardest thing being to watch someone you had feelings for, love someone else.

»»»

srsly how much do you hate my long-ass chapters? I always try to short them as much as possible and always fail. also there are probably gonna be 3-4 more chapters before the epilogue!
btw what do you think about the new cover?
thanks to everyone who's still reading this story, it really means a lot :)
-Elenixx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

258K 6.2K 35
"That better not be a sticky fingers poster." "And if it is ." "I think I'm the luckiest bloke at Hartley." Heartbreak High season 1-2 Spider x oc
976K 16.8K 42
What if Aaron Warner's sunshine daughter fell for Kenji Kishimoto's grumpy son? - This fanfic takes place almost 20 years after Believe me. Aaron and...
43.6M 1.3M 37
"You are mine," He murmured across my skin. He inhaled my scent deeply and kissed the mark he gave me. I shuddered as he lightly nipped it. "Danny, y...
23.8K 609 10
Emily McCall comes back from a trip that lasted a year. She's excited to see her friends and family. Emily doesn't know the secrets that Beacon Hill...