Re:Zero - No More Secrets

By Ja_K515

Natsuki Subaru has been trying to keep the existence of Return by Death a secret. However, after waking up an... More

Arc 2 - Prologue
Arc 2 - Chapter 1
Arc 2 - Chapter 3
Arc 2 - Chapter 4
Arc 2 - Chapter 5
Arc 2 - Chapter 6
Interlude - Rem
Arc 2 - Chapter 7
Arc 2 - Epilogue
Interlude - After Memory Snow
Arc 3 - Prologue
Arc 3 - Chapter 1
Arc 3 - Chapter 2
Arc 3 - Chapter 3

Arc 2 - Chapter 2

937 23 1
By Ja_K515

Ram: "And that should be it."

Subaru: "Thanks you two. Now that we got that over with, we can get to work."

In the wardrobe of the Roswaal mansion, two maids were taking measurements and picking out clothes for the newly hired butler. Since his warning stated that the Shaman would attack on the fourth day, they planned to assimilate Subaru into the manor first, then tackle the matter the next day while they made preparations. They also had him help with the chores that day since he already knew what needed to be done.

Rem: "Subaru-kun, I think I understand this plan of yours a bit. However, are you sure that you'll be able to pull it off?"

While Subaru was getting his measurements taken, he used almost all of his concentration to hold back his fear of Rem and Ram. In his last loop, Rem had tortured him to death in the forest. Subaru did not want a repeat of those events, making him extremely wary of the pair.

Subaru: "Look Rem, I get it's a crazy plan, but I know what I'm doing."

Ram: "Barusu is choosing to act as bait, and since losing him isn't a big deal. I'm ok with it."

Rem: "I understand Nee-sama. I'm just worried that Subaru-kun isn't really think-"

Subaru: "Are you serious? I'm not thinking this through? How about you come up with a better plan then?"

Rem: "Well, I-"

Subaru: "Exactly, you can't. Even Roswaal, your master, told you both to follow the plan I came up with."

Subaru had let out his frustration on Rem. He knew she didn't fully trust him, but it was still infuriating. He didn't want to give her a reason to kill him, but he also couldn't stand her saying he wasn't taking this seriously. Of course, he was taking this seriously. It was his life on the line after all, he knew how painful dying was. Why couldn't they understand that?

Rem: "..."

Subaru: "Sorry, I went too far. I'm just under a lot of stress right now. I'll see myself out."

As he walked out of the room and into the hallway, he let out a deep sigh, trying to calm down. His hands were very sweaty, his throat was dry, and his stomach was tense. He just needed some space so he could think.

Rem: "Subaru-kun."

Behind him, the blue-haired maid had caught up to him without him noticing.

Rem: "Did you have some sort of problem with Nee-sama and me in another loop? If so, I'd like to know what it was and what I can do to atone for it."

Subaru didn't know what to say. He hadn't forgiven Rem yet for what she had done to him, but he also knew that technically, the Rem here in front of him hadn't done any of that yet. It felt unfair to blame this Rem for the actions of a different Rem, yet he couldn't let his guard down around her.

Subaru: "Look Rem, I shouldn't have snapped at you, and I'm sorry. But why do you think something happened in another loop?"

Rem: "Because when you're around me or Nee-sama, you seem on edge about something."

He'd been caught, even though he tried to hide it.

Subaru: "Look, what happens in a loop stays in a loop. It's better to think that way."

While he thought that way, it was still hard to put into practice. It was not easy to erase the traumatic memories associated with the person who caused them.

Rem: "But if it's bothering you this much, shouldn't we discuss it?"

Subaru: "Rem, have you heard of the parallel worlds theory?"

Rem: "No, I haven't. What is it?"

Subaru: "Basically, every choice you make creates a new timeline, like branches on a tree. Even the slightest change is on a different line. Every choice ever made and all of its consequences exist all at the same time."

Rem: "I believe I understand, but what does this have to do with our previous topic?"

Subaru: "What I'm trying to say is that there's no point in fixating on the actions of a different Rem."

With those words, Subaru then left Rem to ponder as he went to start on the chores Ram had given him.

△▼△▼△▼△

Ram: "Did Barusu say anything when you caught up to him?"

Ram was still in the wardrobe when her sister returned.

Rem: "Subaru-kun didn't deny something happened. However, he wouldn't say what happened. He just said it was better to not think about it."

Ram: "That is troubling."

Ram could see that he was hiding his true feelings about the sisters, specifically Rem. However, she knew that forcing a conversation about this matter would not bear fruit. He was polite to them, but it felt forced. His outburst at Rem earlier showcased that.

Rem: "He did tell me about something called the parallel worlds theory."

She then told her Nee-sama everything Subaru had told her.

Ram: "While I do understand where Barusu's coming from, it doesn't put me at ease."

Rather it did the opposite. If Subaru did have something against the sisters due to a previous loop, it could cause problems down the road. Even after all that, everything hinged on whether or not he was telling the truth about his abilities.

Rem: "I'm still concerned about whether or not he is telling the truth."

There were still many doubts in the minds of the sisters, especially Rem. How could they not be wary when he was covered in the Scent of the Witch? It was possible he had hired assassins and helped take them down to gain everyone's trust. As well as spying on the manor to gain information on the staff to trick them into believing he had gotten to know them through time travel. However...

Ram: "Roswaal-sama has asked us to wait and observe, so that is what we will do."

His story was so convenient, it explained a lot about why he knew certain things, but it was also outlandish. If he was so innocent, why the Witch's scent? For the time being, they could do nothing. If Roswaal chose to believe him, then they had no choice.

Rem: "Understood Nee-sama, I still have some chores to tend to in another part of the manor, if you run into any trouble, please call for me."

And with that, the maid sisters, along with Subaru, did their chores for the day.

△▼△▼△▼△

Subaru: "Why can't I follow my own advice?"

While doing his chores Subaru was lamenting the fact he couldn't keep a cool head around Rem. When he snapped at her, he had just given them more reasons not to like him and not trust him. If they didn't trust him, things could go very wrong. Even after killing the Shaman, there could still be problems he would face when it came to the sisters.

Subaru: "This isn't the same Rem, as the one from that loop. I just can't believe all of it was a lie. That day, when she smiled on the way back from the village, she seemed genuinely happy. I have to believe she's better than that."

But saying that, and believing it are two different things. He could still remember the cold way she looked at him, the disgust in her voice as she tortured him. All of it was burned into him. His bones breaking, his leg being cut off, and his throat being slashed. All of it was remembered clear as day to Natsuki Subaru.

He knew it probably had to do with how he acted in that previous loop. I mean he was super suspicious, asking questions all the time, hiding out in the forest with a knife, and above all he had the Witch's Scent.

Subaru: "How do I get them to trust me?"

While he felt more at ease not that he had told Emilia about his struggles, and informed the rest of the mansion about the incoming threat. It felt like earning the trust of those two was still far off. He was worried that if they didn't trust him enough, Roswaal would give the ok for his execution.

While doing his chores, Subaru ended up finding the forbidden library.

Beatrice: "Don't you have anything better to do than bother Betty I suppose?"

Subaru: "Oh come on Beako, we're tight aren't we?"

Beatrice: "You and Betty getting along in another loop is impossible in fact. Try better at lying I suppose."

Subaru: "You're so cold to me Beako, it's enough to make me cry. Who did you you get that cold attitude from? You should be outside playing with kids your age."

Beatrice: "Betty doubts there are any kids her age I suppose."

Subaru: "You look pretty close in age to the kids in the village, although you seem to get frustrated easier than them. So I guess they're all ahead of you in maturity."

As Subaru kept talking, a vein on Beatrice's head got closer to bursting.

Beatrice: "Betty is a very old Spirit I suppose! Betty is older than you by over 400 years, do not treat her like some kind of child I suppose!

She started yelling at Subaru. While he knew she was a very powerful spirit, he just couldn't resist teasing her.

Subaru: "Oh are you? Well, if you keep acting that no way, no wonder I was mistaken. How does it feel to be less mature than a bunch of village kids?"

Beatrice: "Enough I suppose!"

With that, Beatrice sent Subaru flying into a bookshelf with magic.

Beatrice: "Do you have nothing better to do than to annoy Betty I suppose? It's bad enough that you're filling the library with that foul stench of yours I suppose."

Subaru: "Foul stench?"

Rem had told him that he had this stench on him in the last loop when she tortured him.

Beatrice: "The stench of the Witch I suppose."

Subaru: "Which Witch does the stench refer to exactly?"

Beatrice: "How unaware are you I suppose? The only Witch that matters, the Witch of Envy I suppose."

He had heard that name before. When he first met Emilia, she had called herself by the name Satella. When he met her in another loop and called her by that name, she got very upset and said how it was an insult to call someone by the name of the Witch of Envy.

Subaru: "What exactly did this Witch do?"

Beatrice: "Everyone and their child knows about the Witch of Envy I suppose. You are quite uneducated in fact. She is the Witch who ate half the world. It is said she can't comprehend human speech and wants to devour everything I suppose."

Subaru: "I see. But why do I have her scent on me?"

Beatrice: "No clue I suppose. Perhaps she has an interest in you. She may have even given you your abilities I suppose."

Subaru's eyes widened in shock. Normally in these kinds of stories, the hero was summoned by some kind of goddess to save the world. But for Subaru, he had just learned that he was brought here by what was considered the most evil person in the world. She had taken him and forced him to die over and over, and all for what? What did she want him for?

Subaru: "It doesn't matter."

Beatrice: "Hm?"

Subaru: "It doesn't matter who it was. All that matters is that I try to help everyone. That Witch can go to hell if she thinks I'll follow whatever plans she has cooked up for me!"

He shouted that last statement, proclaiming it from the bottom of his heart.

Beatrice: "A marvelous declaration I suppose. However, you should still be careful in fact."

Subaru: "I know, I will. Thank you Beako."

Subaru then began to leave the Forbidden Libary, but as he was about to leave...

Beatrice: "One thing you should know I suppose."

Subaru: "Hm?"

Subaru stopped and turned to look at Beatrice.

Beatrice: "Whenever you talk about your repulsive ability, the Stench of the Witch increases I suppose."

That was concerning. It seems like talking about it could be bad news around people who are sensitive to the smell.

Subaru: "Thank you for that warning Beako. I'll make sure to be more careful."

And with that, Subaru left the Forbidden Libary.

△▼△▼△▼△

What should he do about Rem? How should he approach her? That was the main question on Subaru's mind well into the night. He paced back and forth in his room, trying to come up with an answer to this question.

Then all of a sudden, there was a knock at the door.

Rem: "It's me."

Subaru: "Come on in Rem. I'm not doing anything weird."

Rem: "That just makes it sound like you are doing something weird."

With that, she entered Subaru's room.

Rem: "I've made the modifications to the jacket. It should now fit you."

She handed the jacket to Subaru. He then tried it on.

Subaru: "Thank you Rem, a perfect fit as always."

Rem: "I see, so I've done this for you before."

She wasn't surprised to learn she had done this for Subaru before. It made sense if he followed the same path of becoming a servant at the manor. Of course, she would be the one to modify his jacket.

While he was alone with Rem, he decided that he should relay some of the information Beatrice gave him.

Subaru: "Rem, there's something I should tell you."

Rem: "Yes Subaru-kun."

Subaru: "Look I don't know why but for some reason, I have the Stench of the Witch on me, and according to Beako, it will increase if I talk about my powers. Just letting you know if you're wondering why it's stronger."

Subaru turned to face her. She seemed to be processing the information.

Rem: "I see."

Subaru: "..."

Rem: "How did you know that I can smell the Scent of the Witch?"

Subaru: "Uh..."

He forgot that Rem told him that information in a previous loop.

Subaru: "Ah, well, it was Beako. Ya, she told me that you should be aware since you can smell it, and it wouldn't be good to have you wondering why it was happening."

Rem: "I see."

She could tell he was lying but figured that it didn't really matter. He was aware of the stench and how it affected her.

Subaru: "Look, I really don't know why I have that smell on me. Beako thinks she might have something to do with my powers. But I have no clue why she'd do that to me in the first place."

Rem was surprised at how openly he was talking about the Witch. Even if he said he didn't know, it still didn't help her trust in him.

Subaru: "Rem."

Rem: "Hm?"

He couldn't keep running away. Sooner or later, he had to face Rem, even though it terrified him. If he were to continue staying at the mansion and continue being a part of their lives, he had to face the Rem that was in front of him now. Not the Rem who had tortured him.

Subaru: "Tomorrow, I'm going to trust my back to you. So, please... Help me take down this Shaman and save everyone."

Rem was surprised. Over this past day, he had shown nothing but apprehension and fear towards her.

Rem: "Sure thing Subaru-kun."

She then got up and left him alone in his room.

Subaru: "Well, there's nothing else, is there?"

He could only sigh as he made it through his first day at the Roswaal manor.

Subaru: "This is the fourth time... I really don't want there to be a fifth. Only thing left to do, is tackle tomorrow and hope everything goes well."

And with that, Natsuki Subaru went to sleep.

※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※ ※

Authors Note

Hi everyone, this chapter is shorter than the others, but I still think it's important. We get some info dropped and some development in the relationship between Subaru and Rem, and also some banter with Beatrice because who doesn't love that?

This chapter was originally going to be a bunch of separate chapters, but once I got down and started writing I realized that the ideas I had for each chapter were just way too short. So I combined them.

I've got more ideas for this fic coming up, so I'll try to keep writing more.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

21.4K 617 19
Subaru Emiya-Tohsaka, a magus, was on the hunt after a dead apostle until suddenly being transported to a another world. How will the world and it's...
1.3K 54 8
Re: Forgotten happened. The VOTW finds Subaru slowly dying and stops his Return by Death to reincarnate him into the Cardinal World. His wishes entan...
37.9K 875 31
After running away from all his problems with Rem, Subaru feels he can finally live in peace. However, other forces have another idea on what to do w...
1.5K 48 5
Natsuki Subaru was transported to a fantasy world of swords and magic with no special abilities whatsoever followed by many unfortunate events befall...