A Muse Her

By EliBees

Mateo has a terrible, awful crush on Maia Jefferies, the painfully beautiful best-selling novelist who lives... More

A Muse Her - Blurb
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 39

183 15 6
By EliBees

"Enjoy your night, liefje." Mateo pressed a kiss to Maia's hand as they stepped out of the car. "I hope you'll want to join me later."

"I'm sure I will," she said, kissing his cheek. "Don't have too much fun without me."

"I don't think I could," he said, sliding his hand to the small of her back. "You in this dress is all I'll be thinking about."

Maia grinned. "You can thank Demetri for that," she said, stepping away from him to slip her arm through Eline's. "Come on, I'm sure Adrie's waiting for us."

"Yes and I'm ready to get drunk!" Eline exclaimed. "Enjoy your evening, boys!"

Mateo laughed, shaking his head at his sister as they walked to the illuminated red carpet of Luxe restaurant on the edge of the canal. He sighed watching Maia's hips sway in her short black dress that accentuated her curves and the ropes of beaded pearls that swooped over her bare back. His eyes trailed down her legs to her black stiletto heels and he bit his lip hoping and praying he'd get to have her with those shoes on later.

"So, now that Maia's back side is out of view," Demetri said, chuckling. "What do you have planned for us tonight?"

"We're going to have drinks with my friend Gerrit," Mateo said, grinning. "And when Maia's ready to meet up with us, I'm going to take you both to a members only club, if you know what I mean."

"Oh, I certainly do," Demetri said, smoothing a hand over his burgundy blazer. "And I'm honored, Prince Hendrik."

"It's just Mateo," he said, patting a hand on Demetri's shoulder. "I'm not a prince tonight."

"Well alright then, Mateo." Demetri nodded. "Let's get this evening started."

Mateo and Demetri walked further into the city past a few lively bars and clubs to a basement bar tucked away in a small side street. The tall bearded man standing beside the door nodded to them as he let them inside the smokey dimly lit tavern.

"Mateo!" A burly man wearing a bright red paisley top and a pipe hanging from his mouth called as he walked out from behind the mahogany gold plated bar. "I was wondering when you'd stop by," he said with his arms wide.

"I'm sorry it took me so long," Mateo said, giving the man a hug. "Cornelis, this is my friend Demetri, Demetei this is Cornelis."

"It's nice to meet you, Demetri," Cornelis said, holding out his hand to him. "Welcome to my little humble tavern."

"Thank you," Demetri said, shaking his hand. "It's a nice place you have here and it smells like you've got some good stuff here."

Cornelis laughed. "I certainly do and I've rolled out my signature blend for you guys tonight," he said, nodding to the back of the tavern. "Gerrit's at our old table in the back. Enjoy yourselves. I'll be around to catch up in a bit."

Mateo patted Cornelis on the shoulder. "See you soon. We'll be here for a while," he said as they weaved through the tables to the back of the tavern.

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but how does someone like you become friends with a guy like Cornelis? He doesn't seem like he'd run in your circles."

"Yeah, I guess my circle probably isn't what you'd expect," Mateo said as he pushed through a solid oak door that led to a garden at the back of the tavern. "My closest friends and I were a bunch of prep school misfits who didn't really buy into the life that was expected of us."

"I see," Demetri murmured. "Oo, that handsome waiter from the bakery is here. Don't mind me if I ditch you and your friend to chat him up a bit."

"You won't need to do that." Mateo chuckled as they neared the table with the curly black haired gentleman sitting on his own with a bucket of beers and wine, rolling a blunt under a canopy of hanging plants and fairy lights. "That's Gerrit. He owns most of the bakeries in the city and we've been friends since grade school."

Demetri grinned. "Well this night just got even better."

Gerrit looked up at them and a bright smile spread across his lips. "Mateo," he said, standing to give him a hug. "I'm so glad you made it."

"Of course, I'm sorry I haven't been able to catch up with you until now," Mateo said, patting him on the back before turning to Demetri. "Gerrit, this is Demetri, but I think you two have met before."

"We have," Gerrit said, smiling. "He's my favorite customer."

"Oh? Didn't know I was your favorite," Demetri said, holding out his hand. "It's nice to see you out of your usual flour stained apron."

Gerrit laughed. "And it's nice to finally know your name," he said, gesturing to the table. "Sit. Sit. We have lots to talk about and plenty to drink and smoke."

"We certainly do," Mateo said, sitting down across from him and plucking a bottle of beer out of the bucket. "I'm guessing you want to know how and why I came home with a fiancée?"

"I know why," Gerrit said, offering the blunt to Demetri before he started rolling another one. "You've been looking for someone to settle with for a while, what I want to know is how you managed to convince that lovely woman to want to marry a scoundrel like you?"

Demetri let out a bark of laughter as he lit the blunt. "You clearly haven't read any of Maia's novels because you'd know exactly why she fell for Mateo."

"Oh?" Gerrit said, raising an eyebrow. "So she has a thing for promiscuous men, huh?"

"I'm not like that anymore and we're not going to sit here and talk about my sex life," Mateo said, taking a drink. "But to answer your question, I didn't have to convince her of anything. We just compliment each other very well and that's why I love her."

"Indeed you do. Spending all that time away certainly did you well," Gerrit said, chuckling as he passed Mateo a blunt. "There was a time when you weren't so modest about these things."

"Things are different with Maia," Mateo said, lighting the blunt. "I don't want to do anything to lose her or her respect."

"No you shouldn't. I'm proud of you," Gerrit said, pouring himself a glass of wine. "As long as she's not trying to change who you are to fit her needs. You still have to be yourself."

"It's not like that." Mateo sighed. "If anything, I'm the one guilty of trying to make her fit into my royal life."

"Trust me, Mateo. You don't need to feel guilty of anything," Demetri said, shaking his head. "If Maia didn't want to be here with you, she wouldn't be. She's been looking for someone like you for a long time."

"She's told me that so many times ans I believe her," he said, taking a toke. "But sometimes I still don't think I deserve her."

"You do," Gerrit said. "After everything Saskia put you through, you deserve someone who loves you despite your many flaws."

Mateo chuckled. "Thanks, I appreciate that."

"You're welcome." Gerrit grinned. "And now that we've gotten that out of the way," he said, pouring Demetri a glass od wine. "I'd like to know more about you and how tou ended up in Oost den Burg."

Demetri smiled. "I'm happy to share, but you've been asking a lot of questions and I want to know how a baker, a prince and tavern owner became friends."

"Ah, I'm sure you would," Gerrit sais, leaning back in his chair. "It all started with us breaking out of prep school and an intense game of Dungeons and Dragons."

Mooie Ding >> Lekker ding! Lekkerrr ding! Eline went home with Adrie so Willem's bringing me to find youuu! <<

Mateo >> Okay, liejfe. See you soon. <<

"You sure you don't want to come with us?" Gerrit said with his arm draped around Demetri's shoulders as they stood outside the tavern. "We can wait for Maia."

Mateo chuckled, reading the plea in Demetri's eyes and the unspoken words in his gaze asking him not to ruin this moment with Gerrit. "No, you two go ahead. I think Maia might be too drunk to do much else tonight."

Demetri grinned. "Besides you."

"Matato!" Maia yelled out the car window as it rolled to a stop beside them. "I found you!"

"Yes you did, mijn prinses," he said, laughing as he caught her stumbling out of the car. "Did you have a good time with my sisters?"

"I had the best time!" She giggled, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and pressing her lips against his cheek. "But now I want you."

Demetri let out a bark of laughter. "Mm-hm, what did I say?"

Maia grinned, looking around Mateo. "You can come too – Oh!" she said, waving her hand between Gerrit and Demetri. "I like this."

"I like this too," Gerrit said. "And maybe next time you two can join us."

"It's a date, baker man! As long as your brownies are there too."

"Of course. How about I send some home with Demetri?"

"I'd love that," Maia said, pulling away from Mateo to wrap her arms around Gerrit and Demetri. "You beautiful men have a lovely night." She kissed their cheeks. "And be good to each other."

"My God, you're a mess," Demetri said, laughing as he kissed her cheek. "You be good too."

Gerrit looked over Maia's head and grinned at Mateo. "Never, under any circumstances, are you to let this woman go."

Mateo laughed. "I don't plan on it."

"Good and you, Maia," Gerrit said, kissing her cheek. "Are the best thing to ever happen to my Mateo."

She looked back at Mateo with her glossy eyes full of joy. "He's the best thing that's ever happened to me too."

"I'm glad you think so," Mateo said, holding out his hand to her. "Come on, liefje. Let's get you home and get some food in you."

"Oo, yes," she said, slipping her hand in his. "I want fondue and some nice bread to dip in it."

"Of course you do," Mateo said, bringing her hand to his lips before opening the car door for her. "You two have a good night."

"We will. Get home safe." Demetri waved.

"You too!" Maia called as Mateo slipped into the car behind her.

"I had a really good time tonight," Maia said, wrapping her arms around him and kissing his cheek.

"I can tell," Mateo said, sliding her legs over his. "I'm glad you enjoyed yourself."

"I did." She sighed, resting her head on his shoulder. "I'm sorry I'm too drunk to go to the club you wanted to take me to."

"Don't worry about that." Mateo chuckled, kissing her head. "We can always go another time."

"True," she murmured and a soft laugh escaped her lips. "Not surprised that Demetri was going to ditch us, though."

"I am," he said, resting his cheek against her head as Willem zig zagged his way through the streets full of people spilling out of bars and restaurants. "I thought he'd enjoy that place with us."

"He would've, but Gerrit is far more interesting than –"

"Fuck!" Willem roared as a car's horn blared and screams broke out on the streets. "Brace yourselves!"

Mateo's heart clenched in panic as he caught a glimpse of the utility truck speeding toward them. He didn't have time to think. There was nothing he could do but hold Maia close and pray she wouldn't get hurt when the truck collided with their car.

Her terrified screams and the way she held onto him for dear life would forever be etched in his mind as the car spun off the road and crashed into the barrier between the road and the sea.

"I'm so sorry," Mateo whispered as the car tumbled over the edge of the road and plummeted into the sea.

Maia never should've been there with him.

Jorien sat up in his bed with heart pounding as he stared at the message from Saskia.

S.E. >> It's done. There's no one who can stop you from being king. <<

His brother was gone.

A/N: 😧😬 The night started it out so well 🥰 I love a good bit of men gossping and having a good wholesome time and Maia with her drunken self 🤣 but why did it have to end so tragically 😭 I promise not to leave you hanging for too long because I can't handle this kind of cliffhanger myself!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

101K 2.3K 50
Tristan Morales and Olivia Young's relationship came to an end because Tristan decided on moving to London to continue with his studies. Heartbroken...
7.2K 304 34
"Yours Truly" is the story of Maia, a cynical, strong-minded and hardworking young woman, who stumbles upon Tristan, a reckless, charming but sarcast...
632K 10.8K 28
What happens when a good girl becomes determined to make her brothers best friend fall in love with her? Drama, sexual tension and jealousy of course...
40.3K 1.4K 28
[COMPLETED] Highest ranks: #1 chubby [15042020] #2 fat [25052020] #3 fatgirl [12012021] #10 fakefriends [23082020] #10 neighbour [10092020] "Hi .My...