๐“๐‡๐„ ๐๐ˆ๐†๐‡๐“ ๐–๐„ ๐Œ๐„๐“...

By maiamaiacrocodile

โyou know, you're pretty cute, considering you're 4,000 years old.โž โthank you?โž luna clair loves museums. sh... More

THE NIGHT WE MET.
i. mixtape
ii. prologue
PART I.
one.
two.
three.
four.
five.
six.
seven.
eight.
PART II.
nine.
ten.
twelve.
thirteen.
iii. entr'acte.
fourteen.
fifteen.
PART III.
sixteen.
seventeen.
eighteen.
nineteen.
twenty.
twenty-one
twenty-two.
twenty-three.
twenty-four.
PART IV.
iv. epilogue
pick the next story i write!

eleven.

1.1K 32 17
By maiamaiacrocodile

CHAPTER ELEVEN

❝I am not the same, having seen the moon shine on the other side of the world.❞

Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

✦✧✦

Plan: get down to the Archives, find Ahkmenrah and the others, retrieve tablet, stop Kahmunrah from doing whatever evil and typical spurned villain thing he's planning on doing. Fairly simple to the naked eye, but entirely complex when carried out.

Luna, Larry, and Nicky are running on five hours of sleep and three cups of coffee each, which makes planning this thing a far more cranky affair than any of them would like it to be. Nicky's scanning maps of the Smithsonian and the Archives on his laptop, Luna's researching Kahmunrah (so they know what they're dealing with, and because she's a huge nerd, reader), and Larry's working on how best to get down to the Archives themselves without security clearance.

"Okay, so the Smithsonian is actually nineteen different museums," Nicky says, squinting at his laptop screen, "seventeen of which are in D.C., and eleven of which are on the National Mall."

"Which museum are the Archives in?" asks Larry, looking up from his notepad.

"Not in." Nicky shakes his head. "Under. From what I can tell, the Archives are underneath the National Mall, all the way from the Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial."

"So if Ahkmenrah's tablet is down there..." Luna suddenly understands the full gravity of the situation. Her heart quickens.

Nicky nods. "The biggest museum in the world is coming alive."

They all look at each other for a moment, understanding and worry passing between them, then Luna taps her pen pointedly on the notebook she's been writing down little bits of information in. "Alright. Kahmunrah, fifth king of Egypt. One of the briefest, bloodiest reigns of any pharaoh ever recorded. Passed over for his baby brother, because his father considered him too violent to rule."

"Shocker." Nicky rolls his eyes and takes a massive bite of the beef jerky stick he's holding.

"He took the throne after Ahkmenrah's 'mysterious' death," Luna continues, making finger quotes around the word "mysterious". She remembers the night Ahkmenrah told her about how he died. She remembers the way he felt in her arms. She remembers the way her skin burned against his, like two fiery stars colliding.

"So that's the guy we're dealing with." Larry sets down his pencil, chewing on his lip pensively. 

"He comes to life tonight." Luna nods solemnly. "With everything else in the Smithsonian."

They leave the hotel at four-thirty p.m., with just enough time to get to the Smithsonian Castle--the place they've determined has the best entrance to the Archives--before they close. Luna's backpack has everything they could possibly need in it: extra flashlights, a laptop (just in case), water bottles, a pen and notepad, and walkie talkies (in case they get separated). 

The security guard checking their bags is in his late teens or early twenties, and when Luna asks about his day, his eyes light up and he chats animatedly to her about his mother while half-assedly searching her backpack, and the adoring smile she gives him at the end is enough to seal the deal. He zips her bag up and hands it to her, his eyes shining, and Luna knows without a doubt that he definitely didn't feel the zip ties, rope, and boxcutter hiding at the bottom. (Definitely don't ever try this, reader, unless you're on a quest to save an ancient pharaoh and a bunch of museum exhibits from another ancient pharaoh who wants revenge.)

"Nice one." Nicky slaps Luna on the shoulder, grinning. "I honestly thought you might get him to ask for your number. Oh, and maybe genuflect on his way back to the desk."

"Ha, ha." Luna rolls her eyes, but she's honestly pretty proud of her acting. "Mr. Daley, what's the plan?"

"Get a security clearance card somehow, get down to the Archives, find Ahk, stop Kahmunrah, go home and sleep for a week." Larry nods appraisingly. "That's just about it."

"So...how are we getting a security clearance card?" Nicky asks, running a hand through his hair. 

Luna gasps. "Oh, my god."

Both Nicky and Larry turn to see what she's looking at.

Right at the back of the hall, there's a massive stone archway, encrusted with gold and covered in hieroglyphs and ancient Egyptian drawings. It looks regal, majestic, and at the same time, cold and dark. A sign in front of it reads: The Gate of Kahmunrah--Mythic Door to the Underworld. And right in the center, there's an indent that looks just like Ahkmenrah's tablet. The hair on the back of Luna's neck stands up, and that glowing feeling inside her arises again. It's been quiet the whole trip, but now it pulses, thrums inside her like an electrical wave.

Larry glances over to his left, where a pudgy, curly-haired security guard is harassing a little girl about the CapriSun stain on her shoe, and a smirk appears on his face. "Watch this."

Luna and Nicky pretend to be interested in the Al Capone display behind them, but they're actually listening to Larry poke and prod the security guard, until finally, he hits Larry in the chest with his flashlight. Larry spins his arm around and pins the flashlight against the other side of his head. The guard--Luna thinks she heard his name was "Brandon"--is awestruck and slightly terrified. She grins when they bro-hug, and grins even bigger when Larry returns, holding "Brandon's" ID tag in the palm of his left hand. 

Nicky leads the way toward the employee-only doors they saw when they first walked in, and Larry confidently swipes the tag in the card reader. The light flashes from red to green, and Nicky pushes the door open for the three of them, grinning like a Cheshire cat. 

"What's next?" Luna asks, adjusting her backpack on her shoulder and hurrying to keep up with Nicky and Larry's long legs (they're all short, reader, but Luna is extra short).

Larry opens his mouth to reply, but then two men turn into the hallway, and he grabs Nicky and Luna and pulls them into the nearest open door--which is conveniently marked "Locker Room". 

Nicky slams the door behind them and sighs. "Well, so much for our leisurely tour of the Archives."

"Oh, this is good." Larry walks over to an open locker and pulls out a dark blue sleeve, waving it at them. There's an official-looking patch on it that reads Smithsonian Institution. He pulls one out, holds it up to his chest to see if it'll fit, and then slips it on. "Come on, put these on."

"Do you really think people will be convinced we're night guards?" Luna asks, frowning. "I'm pretty sure most people think I'm twelve when they first see me."

"You're not twelve?" Nicky fake-gasps. "My whole life has been a lie."

Luna swats him on the arm. "Is there any other disguise that might work better?"

Larry opens the locker to his right and shrugs. "Want to be a cleaning lady?"

Not in a million years. But for a disguise, it'll do. So Luna pulls her hair up into a low bun and sighs. "I guess I'll check it off my bucket list."

Five minutes later, they're all dressed and ready to go. Nicky's staying behind to guide them through the Archives, laptop set up and plugged in with every map you could possibly want on the screen. Luna adjusts the walkie talkies to the right channel and then hands one to him. "There you go. Stay on that channel unless we say otherwise. When we find the others, we'll let you know."

"We'll meet back up at the top when we can," Larry adds, adjusting his tie. "When you leave, make sure to grab one of those uniforms, and if someone tries to get in, there's a closet to your right. Hide in it, even if they can't get in, and don't come out until they're gone."

"Holy shit, I can't believe we broke into the Smithsonian." Luna laughs quietly, slinging her backpack back onto her shoulder.

"Does it really surprise you, though?" Nicky raises his eyebrows, and nods appraisingly when she shakes her head. "Nah, we're pretty damn cool. Good luck!"

Larry opens the door for Luna, and she leads the way out into the hall, newly clad in khaki pants and a blue polo shirt, her sweatshirt and jeans shoved down into her backpack. 

"Alright, Nicky," Luna says into the walkie talkie. "Talk us down to the Archives."

"Okay, at the end of the hall, turn right, and there should be a stairwell coming up on your left."

They follow his instructions, and when they get to the stairwell, Luna radios back. "Okay, we're here."

"It's kind of a maze down there," Nicky replies. "The underground tunnels connect a bunch of different buildings. This might get a little complicated."

"And we only have--" Larry checks his watch-- "twenty-eight minutes until sundown."

"When you get down to B level, take another left--" Static cuts across Nicky, and Luna stops on the stairs, adjusting the volume.

"Nicky, can you hear us?"

More static.

"Go up a few stairs," Larry says, gesturing for Luna to go up.

She moves back up to the landing, fear spiking in her belly, and then Nicky comes back over the radio. "Are you guys okay? What happened?"

"Yeah, fine. I think we're too far down for the radios to work." Luna sighs. "Look, stay up there, and when we get back within range, we'll let you know. Can you tell us where to go from he--"

The door to the stairwell opens and two real security guards step in, laughing and joking. Luna's heart jumps into rhythm, beating like a bongo drum, and she and Larry race down the stairs and slam into the door on the left, hurrying down the hall in front of them before the guards can reach them.

At the end of the hall, there's a door that reads Archives--Restricted, and Larry swipes the ID card again. Thankfully, "Brandon" is a very influential man down here, and the card works. 

Larry pushes open the door and they walk into a dimly lit room. On their left is a massive metal-fenced wall, barricading them from what looks like a lot of crates and wooden boxes. "That must be where they are," Luna whispers. It's cold down here, which makes sense, it being underground. She slides her backpack off and pulls her hoodie out, slipping it on and pulling the sleeves over her very cold hands.

There's a security booth that, thankfully, is empty, but there's a camera on the side, which could pose a problem. Larry edges toward it carefully, peering around for any loopholes or anything like that, but there is none. He pulls the ID card out again, holds it up to the camera, and presses the button.

A loud buzzer sounds, and then a nasally voice says, "ID." A moment of silence, then: "Brundon!"

"Hey!" Larry says, in his best ambiguous-male-growl voice.

"Later, dude!" says the voice over the speaker, and the metal-fence-door opens. Luna breathes a sigh of relief. Her palms are sweating, which is never good, but the glowing feeling pulses uncomfortably. They're close.

Larry pulls out the flashlight he stole from the locker room and flips it on, shining it at all the crates, figures, and many, many metal shelves full of very important documents, people, and artifacts. "All right. Where are you guys?"

Luna slides her own flashlight out of her bag, but something strange is happening: the glowing feeling is pulsing in a direction. It's guiding her, leading her to the tablet. She looks back at Larry. "Mr. Daley?"

"Um, Luna, I think at this point, you can call me Larry." He chuckles nervously.

"Uh, Larry? You know that magic glowy thing that happened at the museum last time we did something like this?"

"Yeah?"

"It's happening again. And I think it's leading me to the tablet." Luna swallows hard, her throat oddly dry. (Magic glowy things will do that to a person, reader.)

Larry's eyes widen slightly, and then he gestures with his flashlight. "Then by all means, lead the way."

It's eerily quiet inside, which means the sun hasn't gone down quite yet, and Luna focuses on the pulsing inside her. They turn right, past a massive wooden crate with a canvas over it, and Larry starts to unlock it, but Luna grabs his arm. "Don't."

"Why not? Isn't this--?"

"No." The glowing feeling throbs again. "It's not them. They're further down." A flash of metal--Locks--Squishing-- Luna closes her eyes against the vision of the future and when it passes, she laughs. "That's a massive octopus that you're about to unleash at Kahmunrah."

"What?"

"Oh, did I mention the time control thing?" Luna has a strange urge to laugh again. It isn't funny; it's terrifying, but laughing seems natural. "Yeah, I can change time and see the future. It's pretty cool."

Larry isn't sure quite how to respond (which is completely natural, reader, and we won't blame him); he opens and closes his mouth a few times like a fish, and then keeps walking. Luna pulls her hoodie tighter around her and follows. 

They walk around wax figures, more crates, and something that looks an awful lot like a cannon wrapped in plastic (Luna hopes that's not still usable), their flashlights turning the creepy dark room into a slightly-less-dark and still-creepy room full of boxes. 

Larry stops, staring around at everything, and the glow thrums happily within her. Luna points to a final metal door that leads into another room. "There."

"Are you sure?"

"Very." She pushes the door open, her heartbeat quickening, and leads the way through the doorway. Her jaw drops. "Oh, my god."

Wax Egyptian soldiers are standing, frozen, in a circle around a ornately robed figure who must be Kahmunrah. They're all pointing spears at a red shipping container, the door propped slightly ajar. "It's them," Luna breathes, suddenly at a loss for both words and air. The thing inside her (we'll call it "the glow" from now on, reader, just to save time and confusion) is outmatching her heartbeat for pace and intensity, and it's taking her breath away.

Larry walks carefully around the Egyptian soldiers and peers into the container, shining his flashlight into the open space between the two doors. "It's them, alright. Damn it! Dexter has the tablet and I can't reach it." He attempts to push the doors further open, but they won't move. "And the door's stuck!"

"I think I can fit in there." Luna joins him and stares at the tiny space. "Here, shine this inside for me." She hands him her flashlight and backpack, and slips deftly between the doors, ducking so she won't hit her head.

Larry whistles quietly. "Thank God you're tiny."

"Excuse you, I am petite," Luna retorts, but in this instance, she's also pretty glad she's small. She weaves between Attila and Sacagawea, frozen in battle stance, and leans over the miniatures to grab the tablet from Dexter's little hands. The minute she touches the cool, smooth metal, her hands warm and the glow buzzes happily, heating up inside her.

"We've got about two minutes," Larry says. "I'm gonna go turn on the lights." The flashlights disappear and Luna's left in the dark for a moment, doing a sort of half-plank so as not to sit on Jed, Octavius, the cowboys, and the Romans. Then the lights come on with a loud thunk, and she can see again. 

"Whoo, okay!" Larry reappears in the open space, grinning. "Come on this way and--"

The tablet and the thing inside Luna both begin to glow and hum. "Shit!" Luna jumps off the crate she's standing on and lands next to Attila, but one of the soldiers' spears is blocking the door and then--

Kahmunrah's face changes from wax to skin in a split second and he shouts something in Egyptian. The soldiers move toward Luna, attempting to shut the door to the container, but she raises the tablet and they stop, tilting their heads to the side in confusion. 

Kahmunrah looks Larry up and down, also very confused, then looks past him at Luna. He says something in Egyptian, and when neither of them respond, he says, "Parlez-vous français?"

Larry shakes his head slowly, hands raised halfway into the air.

"Ah, English. English, perhaps." Kahmunrah nods, satisfied.

"Um, sorry--who are you?" Larry asks, his voice slightly higher than normal. Luna clutches the tablet tighter to her chest, and then realizes that everyone in the container with her is awake, too. Attila lowers his spear, surprised that she's beside him. 

"Hey, little lady!" Jed tips his hat to her, grinning. "You came!"

"Of course we did," she whispers. "We wouldn't leave you guys to fight this dickhead."

"You have a strong heart," Octavius says, his tone slightly proud. "And a foul mouth, both of which I applaud."

"I am Kahmunrah, great king of the great kings," Kahmunrah says now, and Luna notices for the first time that he has a slight lisp. "And from the darkest depths of ancient history, I have come back to life!"

"Uh-huh." Larry nods, unimpressed, his hands still raised in a half-surrender.

"Perhaps you did not hear what I just said," Kahmunrah says, looking slightly hurt. "I am a centuries-old Egyptian pharaoh. I was dead, but now I have come back to life!"

"Yeah, no. I heard that." Larry gestures vaguely at all the soldiers. "I got that. Welcome back."

Kahmunrah looks so confused, Luna would almost laugh if she weren't so terrified. "Who are you?"

"Larry. Larry Daley. Daley Devices."

"And this child? You brought a child with you?" Kahmunrah leans around to look at Luna.

"My name's Luna, and I'm not a child. I'm eighteen, you asshole." Luna flips the bird at him, even though he probably has no idea what it means. Attila snickers. 

"It's funny, though; we actually know your brother, Ahkmenrah," Larry says, oddly conversational.

"Luna."

Luna whips around at his voice, almost dropping the tablet. Ahkmenrah's sitting at the back of the container, behind the other Huns. His jaw is open slightly, like he can't believe she's real.

"Ahk," she whispers, and in an instant, he's standing beside her, his arms around her waist, holding her close. She reaches up, touches his face, his shoulders. "Are you okay? Are you hurt?"

"No, I'm fine." Ahkmenrah searches her face, his crystal eyes full of worry. "Are you alright?"

"Fine. Better now." Luna gives him a small smile, her stomach doing cartwheels at his touch. Everywhere he touches burns like fire, but she doesn't mind.

"So you know baby brother," Kahmunrah replies, wrinkling his nose. "Oh, the favorite son. You know, Mother and Father always gave him the best of everything, and I do mean everything. They even gave him the throne. He had a bigger temple. Ahkmenrah this, Ahkmenrah that."

"Oh, gods, get over it already!" Ahkmenrah calls out of the container, pulling Luna closer to him. 

"Get over it?" Kahmunrah laughs humorlessly. "Well, I'm about to take over the entire world, so you can just stick that up your papyrus, favorite son!"

Ahkmenrah looks at Luna, gives her the I'm-so-sorry-this-is-how-you-had-to-meet-my-nutjob-brother look, and says very seriously, "Don't give him what he wants."

"Give me the tablet, young child." Kahmunrah steps past Larry and holds out his hands expectantly toward Luna.

"Don't give it to him, little lady!" Jed shouts, pulling his tiny gun from his tiny holster and pointing it directly at Kahmunrah's forehead. Luna doubts it would do much good (maybe give Kahmunrah a blister, reader), but she appreciates the thought.

"Silence!" Kahmunrah replies. "Silence in there!" He points a finger at the door warningly. "Don't make me come in there!"

"I won't be muzzled!" Jed plants his feet, his mouth set in a determined line. 

"Yeah!" Octavius nods, brandishing his spear beside Jed, standing with him in solidarity.

"Look, that tablet is more powerful than you, Luna, a small, weak child, could possibly imagine." Kahmunrah seems to think this is a negotiating tactic that will work out for him. Luna would very much like to kick him in the balls. "Bringing things back to life is just a parlor trick. With it, I shall unlock the Gate to the Underworld and bring forth my army from the Land of the Dead."

"Oh, then by all means, please take this magical iPad and bring hell down on our heads," Luna says, in the sweetest and most childlike voice she can muster. "Because there's nothing more encouraging than a dumb villain's evil plan to wake up dead people from the underworld."

"Fine." Kahmunrah sighs as if Luna's just massively inconvenienced him. He waves a hand at his soldiers and says something in Egyptian. Two of the soldiers march forward, shove the container door open, and wrench Ahkmenrah from Luna's grasp. Her heart shudders to a stop. No.

"You give me the tablet," Kahmunrah says, as his soldiers level their spears at Ahkmenrah's neck, "or I kill him."

Ahkmenrah locks eyes with Luna and mouths, "No," his expression fully serious and fully calm. He doesn't even seem fazed. She's freaking out inside. She can't lose him. The glow throbs angrily, painfully. The tablet in her hands begins to shine again.

Larry holds up a hand, attempting to direct the attention away from Luna, clearly unsure of what she might do. (To be fair, reader, Luna's also not sure what she can do.) "Um, so I just--I'm sorry, I thought you wanted the Cube."

Kahmunrah wheels around, finger still raised slightly. "The Cube?"

"The Cube..." Larry pauses for dramatic effect. "Of Rubik."

Kahmunrah pauses, clearly weighing his options, then points to Larry. "All right, what is this 'Cube of Rubik', then?"

"The--the--the Cube," Larry stammers, thinking on the spot. "You know, it's the Cube that turns all who oppose you to dust? That one?"

When Kahmunrah looks confused (and rightfully so), Larry shrugs. "Whatever. I thought-- It was my bad, 'cause-- You know what? By the way, your brother--" He points to Ahkmenrah, who gives a little sarcastic wave-- "he didn't want to mess with it, either. Yeah, he wanted to play it safe, too. Just, you sort of struck me as a next-level sort of guy, so I was--"

Kahmunrah shouts that same word in Egyptian and every soldier (except the ones guarding Ahkmenrah) turns their spear on Larry. "I am not my brother, Larry," Kahmunrah says, advancing slowly, menacingly. "I will kill you and your friends in the blink of an eye." He gives another command to the soldiers, and they withdraw their spears. Luna sighs in relief. "Now take me to this Cube of Rubik."

Luna wishes she could give Larry the vision she saw earlier, wishes he could know exactly what she's thinking--

The tablet in her hands pulses and glows. 

Water everywhere--Screaming--A giant wooden crate--

Larry gives an almost silent gasp.

Did I just share a vision?

(The answer is yes, reader.)

But there's no time to process, because Kahmunrah gestures to her. "Leave my brother here. I want the girl and the tablet to come with us. As collateral."

The soldiers guarding Ahkmenrah lower their spears and Luna breaths a sigh of relief--until their spears are poking into her back, urging her forward. One of the soldiers growls something that sounds rude in Egyptian.

"Hey!" Ahkmenrah's suddenly angry, and he jumps forward, pushing the soldiers back a few steps and saying something else in Egyptian that also sounds kind of rude.

"What did you say?" Luna whispers.

"I told them that you can walk yourself and to keep their hands off of you." Ahkmenrah's hand rests on her waist for a millisecond, but then Kahmunrah's commanding his soldiers and they're all marching forward toward the crate that houses the giant octopus.

Larry leads the way, somewhat nervously, and when they reach the crate, he does a sort of HGTV-reveal pose. "Here it is."

"Open it," Kahmunrah commands without any pretense. 

Luna steps back, hugging the tablet to her chest tightly, her heart beating heatedly against the cool gold of the tablet. The octopus is wrestling around in the crate, and the squeaking is putting everyone on edge.

Larry flips the first lock, his hand shaking, and he pauses before the second lock. Takes a deep breath. And then jumps out of the way as eight massive tentacles spring out of the crate, whipping and turning and hitting soldiers left and right. 

Kahmunrah is too stunned to see Larry grab Luna and pull her down a side corridor, away from the very angry octopus and the Egyptians, but as they sprint past the rows of boxes, they hear him shout, "Come back here! Come back here with my tablet! I still have your friends!"

Luna opens her mouth to say something, but Larry just nods, understanding. "We'll get them. I promise."

It's like a maze among all the shelves, and multiple times, Larry and Luna have to run back the way they came to find a new path. Luna's out of breath, there's a stitch in her side, and her hands are sweaty, which makes it hard to hold onto the tablet, but she won't let Kahmunrah have it, not while she's alive and breathing.

They reach another dead end and Larry looks around at Luna, gasping for air. "Which way?" he pants.

Luna closes her eyes, begs for another vision. The tablet glows in her hands. Wood cracking--Golden eyes--Motor revving--

She grabs his hand and pulls him back to the fork they just passed. "Here--"

And there it is. The massive octopus.

Larry's jaw drops.

The octopus sees them. Its eyes narrow. A tentacle thrashes out, aimed directly at Larry's chest--

And it stops. Right before impact.

Larry's eyes are closed, his fists clenched against reality, but then he opens them, frowning. "Wait, what--? Are you--Is this--?"

"Yes." Luna sighs, the pulsing inside her really very uncomfortable. "Come on."

She pulls him down the lefthand path, past an angry-looking hippopotamus, frozen mid-roar (it's actually called "chuffing", reader, and it's very cool), and just to the right of the Egyptian soldiers looking for them. 

"Why are we here?" Larry's completely at a loss, and to be honest, Luna doesn't blame him. She just doesn't have time to explain. "What is--?"

Time spins back into place and a vintage motorcycle flies off a shelf and onto the floor in front of them, driven by a golden-haired man in a dressy 19th-century cavalry uniform. He whoops loudly, waving a flag, and the motorcycle skids to a stop. "Take the wheel!" he shouts.

"What?" Larry is so confused.

"I said take the wheel!" The man hops into the sidecar, grinning excitedly--and Luna has to admit, a little vapidly, even though he's absolutely gorgeous. "Oh, we're in it now! I love it! I love it!" He holds out his hand to Luna. "Here, little lady, sit here! I'll stand!" He directs his next comment at Larry. "Just keep her straight; I'll handle the rest. Now, charge!" He points directly at Kahmunrah and the soldiers.

Larry pauses, glances at Luna, who's very uncomfortable sitting in the sidecar with a solid piece of gold in her arms, then his eyes narrow and he leans forward over the handlebars, revving the engine. They zoom forward, straight toward the Egyptians, and Larry yells, "So what's the plan here?"

"We're Americans!" the man yells back. "We don't plan, we do!"

"Actually, that's really not true!" Luna adds, slightly concerned with the way this is going.

The man appears to have not heard her (or maybe he's ignoring her). "Now hold on!" 

Luna slides as low as possible in the sidecar, gripping the tablet even more tightly. Her heart rate has got to be off the charts. The man leans over and knocks the soldiers over with his flag pole, whooping loudly still. One of the soldiers jumps out of the way and hits a crate, which opens and a troop of kangaroos come leaping out.

Larry doesn't falter, just steers the motorcycle around a corner, the tires skidding noisily on the concrete floor. 

"See that?" the man hollers. "Act first, think later! Works every time! You're in good hands! General George A. Custer of the fighting U.S. 7th Cavalry, at your service."

"Oh, God." Luna closes her eyes and rubs her temple. 'Good hands' is a slight overstatement.

Custer whoops once more, this time very excitedly, and stands up--directly into a low-hanging shelf. Luna bites her tongue to keep from laughing. Larry whips his head around, concerned, but Custer sits up, waving and holding his nose. "I'm good! I'm good! Fly, you fools!"

So they speed on, past more soldiers, crates, and animals, and Larry breathes a sigh of relief. "I think we're--"

And then he almost hits a woman.

✦✧✦

hehe i love this movie. and yes, before anyone asks, i AM using the original script, as i've said before, because ahk was at the museum in that one and some of the lore is way cooler than in the final draft (but i'm not complaining). it'll be a combination of the two plus my own storybuilding, since luna's there, as well. i hope y'all enjoyed this chapter!

also 1.5k reads is pretty cool! i love all your votes and sweet comments <3 they're definitely great motivation for me to keep writing, so i appreciate it.

q: favorite character in battle of the smithsonian?

a: abraham lincoln. i quote him daily. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

58.3K 1K 17
Scarlet Smith had never acted the way a 16 year old girl should. I guess it didn't help she was the adopted daughter of Larry Dailey, the night guard...
51.3K 1.4K 40
"It says here you were born in 1776?" Larry Daley read the old brown sheet of paper in front of him. Rowena just smiled, but her eyes said more. "Tha...
77.4K 2.2K 13
Nathan Jung loves visiting the American Museum of Natural History as much a boy his age enjoys video games. But after finding himself locked in one n...
68.7K 1.9K 16
[Takes place during Secret of the Tomb] Emma Daley had been working alongside her father as a night guard at the Museum of Natural History for a good...