nineteen.

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

CHAPTER NINETEEN

❝Everyone is a moon and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody.❞

Mark Twain

✦✧✦

Somehow, Larry manages to convince Luna's parents and Dr. McPhee that the trip to London is extremely necessary without telling them practically anything. Luna's going, because she works with Larry (actually, it's because she has the magic time powers, reader, but obviously you can't tell anyone that), and Nicky's going, too, because he's sort of grounded and Larry's not letting him stay in New York by himself.

Luna packs frantically, knowing that Larry and Nicky will be there in an hour to pick her up, and sure enough, they're right on time. So Luna hugs her parents goodbye, lets Nicky take her suitcase, and hurries out to the taxi, which drives them to LaGuardia.

The flight to London is quiet: it's late at night, so almost everyone's sleeping. Larry snores in the aisle seat, and Luna rests her head on Nicky's shoulder, only half-watching whichever Fast & Furious movie Nicky's chosen to watch and thinking about Ahkmenrah, below them in the belly of the airplane. Outside her window, the clouds part to reveal the moon, round and full above the ocean below.

When their plane lands, it's barely sunrise in London, and both Luna and Nicky have finally drifted off. But they get up anyway, make it through customs and security with no hitches, and take a taxi to their hotel, which is just a block from the British Museum. Luna and Nicky both want naps, so Larry lets them sleep until just after noon, when they venture down to the lobby, grab sandwiches from the café there, and head out into the chilly January sunlight.

Luna wants to ride on the London Eye, and so does Nicky, so they spend half an hour in a pod all to themselves, watching the Thames flow past and the cars on the opposite side of the river go by. Sunset's at five-thirty, and the museum closes at five, so they've only got a few more hours to sightsee.

Larry buys coffees at a shop just off the Thames, and they lean against a metal fence, watching the afternoon sun slide lower and lower, its rays bouncing off the water and making everything shine.

"Beautiful, huh?" Larry says, hands deep in his pockets, staring at the river.

"Yeah." Nicky nods.

"Isn't this cool? Us in London?" Larry picks up his coffee, turns away from the river. Luna follows him, knowing it's just about time to head back to the hotel and change clothes.