four.

CHAPTER FOUR

❝The moon is the first milestone on the road to the stars.

Arthur C. Clarke

✦✧✦

Luna doesn't want to worry anyone or freak herself out, but she might be going crazy, because she swears that she's touched that tablet before. That feeling within her is a deep, ancient, supernatural magic, and she never thought she'd say that, because magic isn't supposed to be real, but then again, she's currently incredibly attracted to an Egyptian pharaoh who's been dead about four thousand years. (To be fair, he's one sexy pharaoh.)

But that glowing sensation hasn't gone away; if anything, it's gotten stronger. Luna thinks maybe she should mention it to Ahkmenrah, since he has the most experience with the tablet, but she hasn't gotten the chance yet. She, Larry, Nicky, and Ahkmenrah are hurrying around the museum, checking up on the groups of exhibits searching for the old night guards.

On one particular stroll toward the Hall of Miniatures, Ahkmenrah drops back to walk next to her, his eyes glittering with excitement. "You're taking this very well," he says, grinning at her. "Considering you only found out two hours ago that this museum comes to life every night, and you're currently talking to a corpse."

"Well, I haven't had much time to freak out, have I?" Luna laughs wryly. "I've been torn between almost dying and trying to stop three geriatrics from stealing a priceless historical artifact. I'll panic about this later."

Ahkmenrah chuckles softly. "Beautiful and funny, too."

Oh, wow. Luna's face heats to about 1,000 degrees, but Ahkmenrah doesn't seem to realize what he said--or maybe he just doesn't care. She quickly changes the subject. "Can I, uh, ask you something?"

"Anything."

"When I first picked up the tablet, there was this weird...I don't know, the best way I can describe it is a glowing feeling in my chest. And I remembered something, from the first time I ever came here..." Luna can't find the words to explain how it felt. "It's like magic déjà vu. Is that normal?"

Ahkmenrah frowns, thinking hard. "I'm not sure," he says finally. "Perhaps, like the old night guards, the tablet affects you in some way, maybe enhancing a quality you already possess?"

"But it doesn't do anything to Nicky or Mr. Daley," Luna muses. Is there something wrong with me? she wonders secretly.

"A true puzzle." Ahkmenrah nods seriously. He really has the most beautiful eyes; they're the same blue-gray as the harbor during a storm.