twelve.

CHAPTER TWELVE

❝Drink in the moon as though you might die of thirst.❞

Sanober Khan

✦✧✦

"Oh. My. God." Luna's jaw drops. Amelia Earhart is standing in front of their motorcycle, clad in a leather jacket, leather boots, and skin-tight pants, and she's not even mad. 

"What's the rumpus, ace?" Amelia says in her perfect, 1930s-style voice. Luna feels like she might faint. 

"Look, lady, could you get out of the way?" Larry asks, slightly annoyed. 

Amelia frowns. "Lady? Who are you calling 'lady'? The name is Amelia."

And then a spear punctures the front tire of the motorcycle. "Well, that's a bummer," Luna sighs.

Larry looks up, and so does Luna, and they make eye contact with the Egyptian soldiers now gaining on them. With a heavy, annoyed sigh, Larry grabs Luna's arm, pulls her out of the sidecar, and runs down yet another labyrinthine corridor, Amelia trotting close behind.

"Amelia Earhart," she continues, still as perky as ever, "perhaps you've heard of me?"

"Oh, right." Larry nods, somewhat preoccupied. "You're, like, this famous pilot or whatever."

Luna hits him on the arm with the hand that isn't holding the tablet. "Um, she is not just a 'famous pilot or whatever'. She's the most famous female pilot! She was the first female pilot to fly across the Atlantic solo, the first woman to receive the Distinguished Flying Cross, and the first woman to attempt to circumnavigate the globe."

Amelia looks slightly taken aback, but pleased. "What she said. And now if you'd wipe that perhaps-permanent look of alarm off your kisser, I was wondering if you might be so kind as to tell me exactly where I am."

Larry's scanning pathways, searching for the best way out, so Luna answers for him. "You're in the Smithsonian Museum--or under it, I guess."

"And we're in kind of a dangerous situation right now," Larry adds, peering around a decidedly huge crate marked MOUNTAIN GORILLA - 1902, "so you might not want to be anywhere near us."

Amelia gives Luna a saucy wink (honestly, what a queen, reader), and then slides cozily up to Larry, who jumps out of his skin. "Wow, you're fast." 

"What's your name, flyboy?" she asks cheekily.

"Uh, my name is Larry Daley." Larry's far too distracted to notice that Amelia very certainly finds him attractive--which is information Luna finds highly important.