Apex | Charles Leclerc

By reesewoop

They say a successful marriage requires falling in love more than once, always with the same person. Nadia h... More

Chapter 0
Portrayals
Playlist
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Announcement
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 73
Chapter 74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Epilogue Part 1
Epilogue Part 2
Epilogue Part 3
Bonus Chapter #1
Bonus Chapter #2
Bonus Chapter #3

Chapter 72

14.5K 524 102
By reesewoop

I'm a bit nervous with how this weekend is going to go because rain in Spa is the worst. It's also disappointing how a lot of people on Twitter would rather watch the drivers put themselves at risk than have the race cancelled/postponed.

Anyway, there's no drama here (I think) 😂

Enjoy!

*****

June 18, 2028 - Canada

"Thank you for agreeing with the online session." I told Estelle as I sat in front of my laptop in the hotel room.

Estelle smiled and waved a hand. "I only agreed because you've been doing great, Nadia. I've only seen this amount of progress from my patients a few times and it's refreshing." This was my tenth session and despite Estelle's kind words, I couldn't help but feel drained. We've moved on from Monza and were currently in the midst of discussing about Charles' accident. To say that this was easier to talk about was an understatement.

With Monza, I don't think I could ever move on from that. That night took a lot from me that I will never be able to replace. But with the accident, I at least know that Charles and I are okay. He's doing great with the current season despite not being the one leading the championship. I don't even think he's affected by that because first, he's just glad that he's back in the car again. And second, one of his closest friends was leading. It's been a long time coming for Max to win a championship.

"You told me that Charles' accident made an appearance in your nightmare a few months ago? Is this the same one that pushed you to speak to someone?" She asked and I nodded my head. "Why do you think you dreamt of it along with the others?"

"At first, I think it was the fact that he almost died. I've seen accidents in F1 and a lot of lives have been lost in the sport." Max told me that another driver had died a few years back because of bad conditions in Spa that would've garnered a red flag if it were in F1. What broke my heart about it was that he was only eighteen, just in the beginning stages of his motorsport career, and the fact that it could've been prevented.

"But that's not the case?"

"No." I said, leaning forward and placing my arms on the desk. "I'm not a stranger to loss, you know that. I think it was the fact he couldn't remember me that made it a triggering event." I took a deep breath, trying to find the proper words to say because I don't think I've ever told this to anyone. "To me, it felt like he died despite the fact that he was physically alright. He may have been alive and well in front of me, but it was like looking at a stranger. Not knowing who I was resembled the loss I felt from the death of my family."

"If a nightmare like that happened again, do you think Charles' accident would still be in it?" Estelle asked and my first instinct was to shake my head. "I'm not that updated with the latest gossip," She began and I smirked, knowing that we both held the same opinions when it comes to using social media. "But from what you've shared, things are going well with you two. You mentioned that he remembered a few more things?"

When we left New York to head to Montreal, he kept humming this song during the entire plane ride. I wasn't familiar with it, but he seemed determined to know the title of the song. It took him a lot of tries using Shazam as he tried to get a title, even sending a voice note to Max in case he knew what it was.

We were unpacking in the hotel room when he cheered in accomplishment, headphones placed over his ears.

"Finally found it?" I asked him when he took off his headphones, sitting down beside him on the sofa.

"Yup. You should listen to this." He disconnected the phone from his headphones so that we could both listen to it at the same time.

I want you

Yeah I want you

And nothing comes close

To the way that I need you

I wish I can feel your skin

And I want you

From somewhere within

It took me a few seconds to register which song this was. I remember the two of us dancing on the balcony of the apartment we were staying in, the two of us barefoot as a musician from across the street sang the song. It was the night I asked him why he chose to have the agreement with me when he could've had anyone else who was more willing.

"Just the little things." I said, shrugging my shoulders, and I saw Estelle's eyebrows furrow in confusion.

"How does it feel that he hasn't remembered the big things?"

"It feels weird that I'm not that bothered by it."

"So, hypothetically, if Charles doesn't remember any of the big things, you'd be okay with that?"

"Not entirely." I said, biting my lip. "I mean, I do hope that he will remember all of it, but if there's one thing everything has taught me— all the pain and agony I went through— is that the little things are just as important as the big things. I've learned how to value everything in my life because I know how easy it is to lose them."

After the session, I went over to the track to hopefully see Charles before he had to prepare for the race. "Nadia!" Someone called for my name while I was walking in the paddock and I turned around to see Kika and Pierre riding a scooter.

"Hey." I smiled as Pierre stopped the scooter and Kika got down to give me a hug. My smile, however, slipped when I noticed a bunch of cameras trailing behind them.

"Not a big fan of Netflix?" Pierre asked, eyes teasing as he gave me a kiss on both cheeks.

"I have a habit of running away from them." I sheepishly said, catching how the cameraman's eyes widened upon seeing me. "Mind if I borrow your scooter?"

Pierre shook his head, passing me the scooter. "I'll see you later, meu tudo." Kika said, smiling at him as Pierre smirked back at her.

"You're way too flirty for your own good." I told the two of them as Kika got on behind me, her hands moving to my shoulder.

"We know." The two of them answered and I shook my head at them.

Just as Netflix was about to stop right in front of us, Kika and I moved in the direction of the Mercedes garage. We weren't going that fast since there were a lot of people in the paddock with it being race day.

"You really hate being in front of the camera, don't you?" Kika asked and I nodded my head, smiling.

"The only camera I'm confident to be in front of is my best friend's." We stopped in front of the Mercedes garage and I hopped off, expecting Kika to move over to Alpine but she parked the scooter instead.

"What? I'm here to scout the competition."

The garage was bustling, people moving around as they made the last minute changes to the car. George unfortunately had a penalty but finishing in the points was still certain. Because of this, they were trying to maximize everything so that Charles would be able to attain for a podium position.

"Ah! We have an intruder!" George said as soon as his eyes landed on Kika and she rolled her eyes at him. "To what to we owe the pleasure?"

"I've been given the task to spy on one of the top teams." I left the two of them to look for Charles. I was about to check George's side of the garage when I bumped into Susie.

"Ms. Stoddart." I smirked, noticing Toto walking behind her. "How have you been? It's been a while since I saw you, Ms. Stoddart." I said her maiden name again when Toto was within earshot and I had to stifle my laugh when his head snapped towards where we were, eyes forming slits.

"I could say the same for you, Mrs. Leclerc." Susie replied, grinning at the obvious discomfort from her husband. "Hon, stop pouting. Nadia does this every time and you always fall for it."

"That's because she's as stubborn as her husband. They're a match made in heaven." He told her before giving me a playful glare.

"Speaking of," I said, catching both of their attentions as they smiled at one another. "Where is my husband?"

"Last time I saw him, he was with Mick."

I didn't need to search for the two because I already knew where they'd be. Charles was leaning against the black wall of the Mercedes motorhome while Mick was standing on the other side, back pressed against Ferrari's red walls. The two of them were holding Ferrero chocolates and I clicked my tongue as I stood by the clearing to the paddock.

"How often have you two been doing this?" I asked them, moving to stand beside Charles and taking one of the chocolates from his hands. He smirked in return, unable to reply since his mouth was full. He did offer me a wink, though.

"I'd kidnap him when you're not with us during race weekends." Mick said, throwing the chocolate in the air before catching it with his mouth. "It's weird how no one has caught us yet. We've been doing this for the past three years."

"What makes you think no one knows?" I asked and the two of them froze.

Charles gulped. "How did Andrea find out?"

"You're not exactly good at hiding, especially when your energy goes to an ultimate high before the race."

"Fuck. We need a better hiding spot." Mick said and Charles nodded his head at him. "What did you tell him when he found out?"

I shrugged my shoulders and crossed my arms over my chest. "I pleaded the fifth."

"But that's only for law enforcement." Charles said, eyebrows scrunched up in confusion.

"Yes, but Andrea doesn't know that." I smiled and I watched as he leaned his head back in laughter. Mick smiled as he shook his head at me, finishing the last piece of chocolate he held in his hand.

"Good girl." Charles said, leaning closer to give me a kiss on my jaw, lips lingering by my cheek before he pulled away.

I stared back at him, feeling my lips pull up into a smirk as Charles did the same expression. My eyes roamed around his face before briefly moving down to see he had tied the top portion of his race suit around his waist, black fireproofs on full display.

A barfing sound interruptef us both and we turned towards Mick who was looking at us. "God, get a room." He said, but you could see the smile on his face.

"Shut up." I pushed myself from the wall and slapped his arm.

"Hey! No injuring the driver." He pouted and I shook my head at him, linking my arm with his as we walked into the paddock, Charles right behind us. "If I wasn't here, Charles would be experiencing a different kind of high before the race." Mick said in a lower voice, wiggling his eyebrows.

"You need to find someone." I scoffed and Mick sighed deeply.

"Trust me, I'm looking. If you know anyone, you know where to find me."

The Canadian Grand Prix was always entertaining to watch, especially with how the drivers barely scraped the Wall of Champions. It's unfortunate for those who had to retire though, because the walk from some parts of the track back to the paddock weren't as nice with them having to walk under the trees since the ground wasn't made for transport.

The next time I saw Charles after he got into the car was during the podium ceremony as the speaker called out their names. Beside me, Susie and Toto were looking up as well, glad to have one of the Mercedes drivers up there. Max was the last one to come out, a huge smile on his face as he waved at the Red Bull mechanics standing with us behing the barricade. The two showered each other with champagne before moving to spray it over us. Before I could even turn away, Susie grabbed my wrist and pulled me behind Toto so that it'd be him covered in the alcohol drink and not us.

He wasn't entirely happy about that.

"Congratulations!" I greeted Charles after the ceremony, right hand holding his cheek as I gave him a peck on the lips. "You taste like champagne." I said, licking my bottom lip as he smiled at me.

"Max practically poured his entire bottle on me." Charles chuckled, ruffling his hair. "Do you have my phone with you?" He asked as we walked back to the motorhome, one hand on my waist.

I pulled his phone out of my pocket and passed it to him, watching as he opened his Instagram. "What are you doing?"

"Max won." He simply answered, moving to his stories before sliding through his camera roll. "Which means I get to post this." Charles showed me the picture of Max wearing the purple apron and I let out a snort.

"He's going to kill you for that."

Charles grinned before posting the photo on his story. "I know, but it's worth it."

*****
This is a very light chapter because I didn't get to write as much today. I literally just finished writing this lol 😂

Reese

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

586K 7.4K 116
She let go of his hand, an action that made him turn and look at her."Whats wrong?", "What are we doing?"he tilted his head at the question."What do...
279K 5.9K 60
Sticking around was never her intention. She just wanted to watch one race and the people around her made everything in their power to keep her there...
37.2K 637 55
Trusting in something new is always going to be a hard expirience. No matter how scary or beautiful it would be, we have to let go and trust in ourse...
51.2K 760 61
When I thought my racing career was over, fate gave me a big chance that brought me many ups and downs, new friends and enemies, new lovers and also...