Love and Other Delusions | Ch...

By Anneti-social

Lumine is forced to go back to Liyue after a little accident in Inazuma. She stays under the care of Zhongli... More

Return to Liyue
Cold in Snezhnaya
A wave of Goodbyes
A short trip to Mondstadt
A song of chance
Return of the Hero
Hide and Seek
The Hunter
The Rebel
Waverider
On the shores of Narukami
The Witch, the Fox and the Puppet
Retracting Waters
Tidal Wave
Celestial Voyager
Momiji Dyed Battle
What Now Remains
Distant Crackling
Tide Withholder
Vortex of Turmoil
Fickle Cloudstrike
Havoc: Formless Blade
Havoc: Annihilation
Teapot to Call Home
The Puppet's Strings
Irodori Festival
The Puppet's Eyes
Bottoms Up
Strings
The Masterplan
Morepesok
Welcome Wagon
Empty Seat
Finale

Rustles from afar

558 28 0
By Anneti-social

"A new drink?" Lumine asked.

"It's a new blend that they are serving just for this occasion! People over there are lining up for it!" Paimon pointed towards the drink stall. There was, indeed, quite a long line.

"Do you want to try it?" Lumine turned to Childe, who was already eyeing the stall.

"Sure." He shrugged.

"Three it is then." Lumine said. "I'll go wait in line." She said.

"Okay!" Paimon said, waving at her as she walked to the line.

Paimon the turned to Childe. "There is so much more people out here at the second day." She commented.

"Yeah, I expected that there'll be less since the opening was yesterday." Childe agreed.

"More people from other nations are just arriving today, maybe that's why." Paimon said.

Childe shrugged. "Maybe." He said. "Are you guys going to hang out with your friends today?"

"I think Xingqiu is pretty busy today so we probably won't bother him for the time being." Paimon said. "We might run into Kazuha and Venti here though."

"I see." Childe nodded.

"Why? Were you planning on going on another date?" Paimon raised an eyebrow with a cheeky smile.

Childe laughed. "That would be lovely but as much as I want Lumine to myself, I know she has a life outside of me." He said.

"Then what are your agendas for today?" Paimon looked at him confused.

"Don't look at me like I have no life outside of Lumine." Childe furrowed his eyebrows, looking a little offended.

"I was going to keep a lookout for someone. I can't risk him being in this area since that guy's dangerous." Childe said.

"Oooh, the balladeer." Paimon said, finally realizing who the agenda was. "But isn't he only a threat to you because he's after-"

"No." Childe denied.

Paimon laughed. "Okay Mr.I-have-a-life-outside-Lumine."

Childe looked away.

Paimon raised an eyebrow, her cheeky smile not leaving her face. "Is this what a flushed Ajax looks?" She teased. "I'm a little surprised. Paimon always sees you openly flirting with Lumine but here you are blushing like crazy."

"I'm not blushing. Plus, Lumine's not here so there's no reason for me to be flirty." Childe said.

"Uh-uh. But aren't you the type to brag about your relationship though?" Paimon crossed her arms.

Childe was about to oppose until he recalled of the time that he did occasionally brag about it. "I- yeah, you... yeah." He reluctantly agreed.

"See, so why deny now?" Paimon asked.

"I'm not denying. Sure part of it is because of Lumine but The Fatui is no joke to go up against. Specially a sneaky little brat like him." Childe explained. "It's my form of precaution if you will."

"Precaution for what?" Lumine butted in the conversation, holding two glasses of the special drink. One glass being larger than the other.

"Paimon's taking this one." Paimon grabbed the smaller glass.

"I guess we're sharing." Lumine shrugged.

"Is it just me or is this color a little darker than the one Paimon has?" Childe asked as he watched the two take a sip from their respective drinks.

"Maybe it's because it's on a larger glass, the other ones they served were the same shade as Paimon's." Lumine said. "Come on, try it."

Childe did as he was told. It was sweet, a little creamy, and it had a fruity after taste; lavender melons and sunsettia. But there was an unknown flavour to it.

"Interesting." Was all he could comment from it.

As they enjoyed their drink, Childe's eyes wandered around to scan their surroundings. Still in awe about how successful the festival is.

"It's almost time." A distant voice whispered.

"Did you hear that?" Childe asked.

"Hear what?" Paimon asked back.

Childe's eyebrows furrowed. "Are any of your friends nearby?" He asked again.

"I haven't noticed anyone, why?" Lumine answered. Childe's eyebrows furrowed once more. He could've sworn he heard a familiar voice.

But if they're saying they didn't, it probably was just his imagination. Or maybe he heard someone who sounded like someone he knew. He shook his head. "Nevermind."

***

Night fell and the three crossed paths with Kazuha once again. He was unexpectedly joined with Ayaka and Ayato, though Ayato left shortly after. He was a busy man indeed.

Ayaka was delighted that her social circle was slowly expanding. Given that two of her friends are travellers, she was excited to hear about their respective travels.

The now five-man group kept each other company. Talking about the festival and other sorts.

"If I were you I'd get away from the crowd by now."

Childe turned around. Nothing.

"Ajax, is something wrong?" Lumine asked, noticing his stiff posture. He looked like he was holding his breath.

She gently laid her hand on his. Upon contact, his shoulders slowly dropped and his breath seemed a little shaky.

"I thought I heard something." He said.

"Is it a bad guy?" Paimon asked, instantly panicked.

"It sounded more like a warning." Childe said. "I heard it saying something like getting away from the cro-"

Before he could finish his sentence he felt a painful pang in his chest. His eyes widened, beads of sweat started to form on his face.

He felt sick. Dizzy. Everything was starting to get fuzzy.

"Ajax, are you okay? Do you need anything? Water? Do you need to lie down?" Lumine asked, a slight panic evident in her voice.

He was visibly shaking. His feet felt wobbly despite the fact that he was sitting down.

It was odd though, the whole time he felt something else was happening in him. He can feel a little bit of element trying to escape his body.

"I need... I need to go get some fresh air for a bit." He stood up.

"I'll come with you." Lumine said.

"No, no need. I won't take long." He said.

"I insist." Lumine looked at him with determined eyes.

He sighed in defeat. "Alright."

***

His fingertips felt a little numb. But since it was dark, you'll be able to notice the faint light on it.

Electro.

"Ajax, do you have your delusion with you right now?" Lumine furrowed her eyebrows.

"I'm not trying to use it." He replied.

"That's not my question." She said.

"I do but-"

"I thought you hid that already?" Lumine looked at him confused.

"I did." He said. "I haven't touched it in a while. Maybe that's why it's malfunctioning." He explained.

"Malfunctioning? Did that happen before?" Lumine held his hand, which startled him a little. "And why do you even have it right now?"

"No, it never malfunctioned. That's why it's odd." He said. He can feel his knees getting weaker.

"Where is it then? Just take it off you!" Lumine said, clearly frustrated.

"No! I have to keep it on me! It's for emergencies!" Childe argued.

"Emergencies? What if that's the cause of the emergency then?" Lumine asked.

"It's not!" Childe argued. "This is my only last resort okay? This is my back-up plan and I'd appreciate if you don't take it away!"

"Back-up plan to what? I'm here to be your back-up!"

"I don't want last time to happen again!" He yelled held her shoulders tightly.

She looked at him stunned. A little surprised when he grabbed her. His grip loosened after noticing her expression.

"I don't want last time to happen again, so if I have to play dirty with using a delusion then so be it." Childe said in a much softer voice. His head casted downward, eyes staring at the sand beneath them.

"But it's hurting you." Lumine said.

"Believe me, not having you would hurt me more."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

24.8K 1.4K 25
As the last marriageable child of the noble Kanjou Commission, you will do anything to save your family from the shame of the Almighty Shogun's disgr...
696K 30.5K 45
โ WILL YOU TAKE ME AS YOUR BRIDE? โž ยป----------โœ„ A year after you heard rumors of something happening to your old childhood friend, someone had att...
47.7K 1.5K 40
"...im not gonna lie, that was pretty cringe." What happens when an impulsive but also immature person gets chucked into a game that they're in love...
40.2K 848 19
Lumine and Childe have been Genshin High's best couple ever since they started dating all the back in 5th Grade. Others may say that they don't reall...