Because we're two different p...

By Noah_says_hello

elizabeth armstrong, daughter of good friends of father Brown, and sid carter's best friend. lost her parents... More

INFORMATION
////////
invited
the ball and comfort
my first time in a police car
William the parishioner
That look?
the desire of friendship.
bike
Who's Ben, what does he want
Do you like like him?
The man on the train
So much going on at once

Ben's secret

35 3 0
By Noah_says_hello

ELIZA POV: THE NEXT MORNING 

The sound of chirping birds woke me up. When I noticed I was holding something, I didn't look. I closed my eyes again, and slowly rubbed my fingers over the rough texture of what I was holding. Then it hit me, it was his shirt. Inspector Sullivans shirt. Shit, what was I thinking last night, actually accepting it. Shit shit shit, I should give it back. 

I groaned when suddenly someone knocked on my door. I wasn't dressed innapropiate, I was wearing a T-shirt and some shorts. I quickly hid the shirt when the door opened. It was Ben, he was smirking.

'Morning sunshine', he said teasingly, 'Shut up already', I replied with a grumpy voice.

He sat down on the bed and looked at me without saying anything. After a while, he finally seemed to have made up a question; 'Where were you last night?', my eyes immediatly found his. I hadn't thought of this question before. What was I going to say? 

'Out', it was the first thing that came to mind, 'In a shirt, without asking me to join you?', I'm pretty sure I was starting to blush

'Yes. Is there a problem with that?', I honestly hoped he'd let it rest, but ofcource he didn't, 'Why were you wearing a shirt?', he was becoming suspicious, 'Because I can, it's not illegal for a woman to wear a shirt, is it?', the sarcasm in my tone was obvious.

'It's too big for you, I mean, did you even take a proper look at the shirt before putting it on?', he was just teasing me at this point...atleast I hoped so.

'So what if it is, I found it on the street, I don't care if it's too big, it's free and it's clothing', I made a point with that, and I wanted him to stop talking about it. The more he continued to ask me such stupid questions, the more I was starting to feel bad. He was the kind of person you could tell everything, and I didn't. I was being dishonest. I didn't like that, I did not like lying to Ben. But he can't find out it's Sullivans. 

'Breakfast's ready', he must've realised I didn't want to get deeper into it, because whilst saying that, he got up and shut the door. He gave me a soft smile before he did so. 

Concentrate Liz

Ben wasn't staying in the presbytery, at least not at night. He stays in a little hotel down the street. 

I got ready and left the shirt on my bed. I put om some wide jeans so they wouldn't stick to my legs, and a striped T-shirt. Everyone always said, and especially Bunty, that blue, white and sage green suit me. 

I didn't see Bunty often. She's in London, the city of life, that's how she describes it. We write to each other, that's what we do. I'm planning on visiting her, London seems like an amazing place, I've barely been there though. 

Before the war, I lived in Oxford with my parents. Lovely, they were. I used to spent my days rotting away in the library, it was like a paradise. I played outside with my friends and only came home for dinner. When the war broke out, my father who was already in the army, got called to fight at the front. I missed him, I mean, I was 16 years old and had a good bond with my dad. 

My mom was devastated when in 1943, he died. I took care of her as good as I could but eventually, in 1944, she died of literal pain. She became physically ill. Each day she got worse. I had to stay strong for her, and so I did. I was sad for a while when she died, but also happy, she had lived a good life. She had loved and lost, and that was enough for her. 

I don't really think about them anymore, father Brown was a good friend of my parents, he always had been. When I was a little kid, he used to tell me fun horror stories. We would spend nights laughing and playing games. To me he's like an uncle. When my parents died, and he found out, he offered me to stay with him and the rest, this was in 1945. I was nervous at first, but this is my home now, and I love it here. 

By now, I was sitting at the kitchen table, eating scrambled eggs, and toast with home made marmalade. Now and then I took little sips from my tea. The sun was shining trough the window, the trees were rousing and the weather looked incredibly fine. Perfect day to go outside. 

'Today, I'll show you the village', It was aimed at Ben, I wasn't looking at him, but I think he knew it was meant for him. 

When we all finished breakfast, Ben and I started our journey through the village. I told him everything about the history of Kembleford, and he was actually interested. 

We visited some people that I get along with really well, and talked to folks that were working in their garden. We went past the florist and he said he needed a moment so I let him be. I told him I'd be meeting him at the ice cream car next to the police station.

I was wondering how much longer he would take. In the meantime I was looking at the police station, specifically at the inspectors office. I could vaguely see a blue silhouette, that must be him. Always wearing that typical blue suit. He seemed to be concentrated on his work, he only moved to take a report from the archives opposite him. 

I was doubting wether we should go inside and see how he's doing, but I immediatly figured Ben, nor the inspector would like it. 

Suddenly someone touched my shoulder and I almost jumped. I turned around to see Ben laughing, 'I specifically told you never to do that again', I wanted to sound harsh but his laugh was contagious and I simply could not contain my laugh. 

'I got you flowers,' he presented me a decent bouquet,'the most beautiful ones', he seemed really proud of himself and I was in an aw. Ben was a kind soul, and I was lucky to be his friend. 

He handed me the flowers and I started blushing. They smelled amazing, like a wild field and...flowers...obviously. We got ourselves an icecream and ate them on a bench in the bright shining sun. 

SHORT SULLIVAN POV: 

I was sick of the case I was working on and had been looking outside for a few minutes already. I was suprised to see Eliza there, she had seemed to be on her own and I was doubting wether I should join her or not, when Ben showed up. I should've known she wasn't on her own, how foolish of me. I was gritting my teeth while watching them. How I hated the fact she hung out with him. Something seemed off about him. 

'Sergeant,' I shouted, and not yet five seconds later, Goodfellow stood inside my office, 'call London and ask them if they have a file on Ben West', Goodfellow nodded; 'Yes sir'

If i was lucky he has a record. That way I'd have an actual reason to dislike him. And maybe, just maybe I'd be able to sort of ruin things between them. I mean, it was obvious he has feelings for her, she's just too obvlivious to see. He isn't the right guy for her, and I will make that clear to her one way or another.

I clenched my jaw when those flowers appeared. I do not know why exactly I was so annoyed by the fact that he was giving her something. I gave her my shirt yesterday, isn't that the exact same thing.

I let out a gasp when the sergeant came in. 

'Seems we have his file,' he handed me it,' here you go sir', he smiled and I nodded with a polite smile. He left my office, and as soon as he did, I dropped myself in my chair and started going through his file. Nothing special was in there, just basic info about him, but then on one page it changed. 

Crimes.

He has a criminal record.

A smile formed on my face. This was going to be the peak of my day. 

I was going to expose him. Once a criminal, always a criminal.

BEN'S POV: 

Whilst Lizzie was telling me about her adventures, I was drowned in thoughts. 

I never told her about my criminal record. I don't think she'd be mad, so I don't know why I still haven't told her. I guess I've always been too afraid she'd look at me differently. Like i'm a monster. 

I looked at her eyes, and how beautiful they were. I've had a crush on her ever since I met her in that train. She never noticed I think, but someone else did. That bloody inspector. I despise him. The way he looked at me when we got introduiced did make me feel like a monster. It was as if he could see right through me, and instantly saw I have a crush on her. The look in his eyes made me feel as if it was wrong to love her. 

One day I'll tell her, how I feel about her. She's never reffered to me as anything but her friend before but maybe that'll change. If only she would see how good I could be for her. What a good husband I would make. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

757K 17.1K 46
In wich a one night stand turns out to be a lot more than that.
1.2M 51.9K 98
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
164K 5.9K 91
Ahsoka Velaryon. Unlike her brothers Jacaerys, Lucaerys, and Joffery. Ahsoka was born with stark white hair that was incredibly thick and coarse, eye...
560K 20.3K 95
The story is about the little girl who has 7 older brothers, honestly, 7 overprotective brothers!! It's a series by the way!!! 😂💜 my first fanfic...