On the Way Down

By JenniferFarwell

SECOND CHANCE ROMANCE / ROMANTIC SUSPENSE ⋆ They say you meet the same people on the way up and on the way do... More

Author's Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three

Chapter Sixteen

129 16 18
By JenniferFarwell

Landing in Vegas is always an experience, between the desert winds that bounce the plane around during the final approach and descent, and the view of the Strip from overhead and then from the taxiway. My flight there on Friday evening is no different, but I hardly notice the turbulence since my head is still somewhere in the clouds. It's difficult to believe it's only been three weeks since I was last here, with all that's changed since then.

Just landed. ILYK when I have my suitcase and am outside.

I send the text to Phoenix. A heart bubble reaction from him appears beside it almost instantly.

Once I'm off the plane and weaving past people and the airport slot machines, I expect to head for the baggage carousel to wait for my suitcase, and then to the passenger pickup spot outside. But when I exit the gate area into arrivals, Phoenix is at the carousel for my flight, waiting for me with a heart-stopping smile.

"Hi, you." His arms are around me before he finishes the second syllable. I melt into his hug on the spot, like the days between my birthday and now were hallucinations and we're picking up where we left off when we finally said goodnight.

"I thought you were meeting me outside the terminal?" I tilt my chin up to look at him. Our lips meet, and our kiss is soft and sweet. It's the family-friendly airport version of what I'd really like to do right now, and it's over far too fast.

He keeps an arm around my waist and peers into my eyes. "I couldn't wait that long to see you."

"The whole extra few minutes?" I tease.

"Too much to handle when I know you're here. Besides, you shouldn't have to lug a suitcase through here and across the bridge."

My suitcase is small, and although it's crammed with multiple outfits and pairs of shoes to be prepared for anywhere we might go during the three nights I'm here, it rolls and isn't heavy. I easily moved it from my condo to my car, then from my car and onto the shuttle from the parking lot to the terminal at the airport in Burbank, and then to the curbside bag check, but I'm not about to point this out or do anything but appreciate his thoughtfulness and gentlemanly behavior.

It doesn't take long for my suitcase to show up on the carousel. Phoenix pulls it off and takes hold of its handle, then threads the fingers of his free hand with mine. We make our way to the doors, and a wall of desert heat hits me when we step outside.

"I thought we could stop by my place first and go out for dinner in a bit," he says, after we've crossed the street outside the terminal and are on the pedestrian bridge to the parking garage. "I made a reservation at Salt & Pepper, but if there's somewhere else you'd like to go instead, I'll change it."

"Don't change a thing. That sounds amazing."

I'm not exaggerating, because anything involving him and me and the lights and glitz of Las Vegas truly does sound amazing. Other than mentioning Salt & Pepper just now, Phoenix has been mysterious about what our plans are while I'm here, and has only said there are some places he would like to take me. The more he's resisted spilling his secret itinerary for us, the more curious I've become.

My first hint at how carefully he's planned our time together happens soon after we reach his SUV in the parking garage. Once I'm settled into the passenger seat, Phoenix shuts my door for me and puts my suitcase in the back. After he slides into the driver's seat and turns the engine on, the stereo speakers come to life, revealing the opening notes of "Perfect," the song the string quartet played when we arrived at the candlelight concert last weekend. I steal a glance at him while he pulls out of our parking spot.

"Is this a coincidence, or did you choose this song for our drive?" I'm pretty sure I know the answer, which makes it impossible for me to hide my smile.

If his face brightens any more than the megawatt level it just lit up to, he'll give the Luxor's sky beam a run for its money. "I'm putting a new playlist together. It's a work in progress."

That's fitting, because we're also a work in progress right now, in a sense. I'm already smitten with the idea of new songs to reflect our new memories and next chapter.

The drive from the airport to where Phoenix is staying takes about twenty minutes. I've seen some of the rooms at his place when we've FaceTimed, and so I'm aware we're going to a house and not a hotel. Knowing this doesn't stop me from being surprised when we turn into the driveway of a home with a two-car garage and succulent garden out front. It isn't what I pictured temporary, on-location housing to be, even though he's been out here for an extended amount of time.

Once we're inside, with the front door closed and my suitcase in the foyer, Phoenix wraps his arms around me from behind and kisses the back of my head. I place my hands over his, enjoying the comfort and ease of this.

"What time is dinner?" My voice is soft, matching the mood of the moment.

"Seven-forty-five." His mouth skims the edge of my ear, sending a delicious shiver through me.

"When do we need to leave?"

"In about an hour, but I can bump our reservation if you'd like more time to get ready."

If we move our reservation later, I doubt I'll want to use the time for choosing an outfit or touching up my makeup or hair. "Getting ready won't take me long. I was wondering how long we have to keep doing this."

"This?" He holds me tighter and kisses my head again, but then releases his arms from around me. "Or this?" His lips brush against my shoulder, and then the side of my neck.

I close my eyes and focus fully on the sensations coursing through my body and how the touch of his mouth feels against my skin. When I turn to face him, and when our lips meet this time, it's the opposite end of the spectrum from our brief airport kiss. Here, finally alone again, the passion of last weekend crashes through. His fingers tangle in my hair and caress the back of my neck, and then his hands roam to my waist. He pulls me closer to him, until my body is pressed tightly against his, as though we could and should meld together right here. It's tempting to suggest skipping dinner and staying in tonight in favor of continuing this.

Even so, I'm the one to slow things down and come up for air first. The way Phoenix gazes at me when we break apart, with adoration in his eyes and his dimple on full display, just about knocks any remaining air out of my lungs.

"I'm so happy you're here." He tousles my hair, then lowers his hand to my shoulder. What feels like a million tiny sparks dance everywhere over my skin when he gently runs his fingertips along my arm.

"Me too."

If how my visit has started is any sign of what's to come, then my hope for this weekend is that what happens in Vegas doesn't stay in Vegas at all, and that my birthday and the next couple of days are only the beginning for us.

༺☆༻ ༺☆༻ ༺☆༻

The last time I walked past the game tables and slot machines at The Auriga, I was in a very different frame of mind. Then, Ava and I strode past everything to exit out the doors Phoenix and I just entered, when we were en route to meet up with our Uber and I was anxious and preoccupied. Now, I'm happy to be back, and to view The Auriga through a rosier lens.

We head in the same direction as Nebula, which is close to the escalator we'll ride upstairs to Salt & Pepper. The escalator and the curtain of sparkling star lights that surround it soon come into view, catching and holding my attention as we get closer. I'm so transfixed by the shimmering lights, I miss Phoenix slowing down until he touches my arm.

"Hey, man," a familiar voice calls out. I shift my gaze to where the voice came from and spot Nash approaching us. "Del, it's wonderful to see you again. You just missed Torin."

His gaze flickers from Phoenix to me, and then back to Phoenix, a question in his eyes. I'm not certain how close their friendship is, but I suspect Nash wasn't aware until now that I'm in town or that Phoenix and I are back together. He may not even be aware that we used to date, unless Torin, Phoenix, or Ava has mentioned it to him.

"Torin is here?" I inquire.

"Sound check," Nash explains. "Are you coming to the show tonight with Ava?"

"I didn't know Ava was here," I admit. "I also didn't realize you guys have a show. Don't you play on Saturdays?"

"We switched nights with the band that's usually on Fridays, since they have a private gig tonight. Ava didn't tell you?" My face must reflect how baffled I am about the repeated mentions of Ava and her being in Vegas, because Nash continues. "She has a work thing here this weekend and came a night early for the show."

"Ah, no. She didn't mention that." This seems odd, since I saw Ava earlier this week for my postponed birthday dinner with her and a few other friends, and I told her I was flying to Vegas this weekend to visit Phoenix.

"You two should drop by if you don't have other plans. I'll add you to the list." He claps Phoenix on the back. "Gotta jet. Catch you both later, I hope."

I wait until Nash is far enough away to be out of earshot, then lean in closer to Phoenix. "We don't need to go."

He places his hand against my back and guides me to the escalator. "We might have to."

"Ava didn't tell me she'd be here, so I doubt she's expecting to see us."

"Maybe not, but Torin will want to see you when Nash tells him you're here."

He may be right about this, but it's not as though I see Torin every time he's in L.A., so he shouldn't be upset if I don't see him tonight.

"It's fine," I insist. "I'll smooth it over with him later."

Phoenix's face is practically a flashing billboard that puts his concern on full display. In his expression, I read what he hasn't said, which is something that also just crossed my mind. Torin is bound to have questions if Nash mentions he saw me with Phoenix, and I'm sure he'll have a few choice words for Phoenix, too. He was there for me every bit as much as Ava was six years ago when my heart was destroyed, and it's why he's so protective of me now. I can't imagine what dealing with him and Ava as a tag team will be like if we go to the show. It's better if I handle Torin on my own, after I'm safely back in L.A.

We get to the top of the escalator without saying anything more about Torin or the show, and I consider the matter settled for now. I step off, ahead of Phoenix, and am about to get on the next escalator to the third floor when a young woman in a sequined mini-dress approaches us.

"I'm sorry to bother you, but would you mind taking a photo of my friends and me?" She holds out her phone.

"Of course," I agree.

I take the phone from her and wait until she's standing beside two other girls in front of the sparkling curtain of lights. As I snap a few photos of them, it occurs to me what a gorgeous backdrop it is. Phoenix must have the same thought, because as I pass the phone back to the girl, he takes his phone from his pocket and asks if she would mind taking a photo of us.

Standing next to him, with his arm around my shoulder and our heads close together, reminds me of when we used to pose like this in front of step-and-repeats for event photographers. We became pros at it then, because of how often we did it. Positioning ourselves this way seems natural, like two puzzle pieces locking into place.

The girl raises the phone to take our picture, but then does a slight double take. She stares at Phoenix for a moment, recognition flashing across her face. Her eyes flicker to me next. While I'm not nearly as easy to identify as he is, if she was a fan of Phoenix during his early films, then there's a chance she also recognizes me. I don't get to find out if she does, because she passes the phone back after taking our picture and thanks us again, but says nothing else. She's still studying us with a thoughtful look when her friend grabs her arm to pull her away.

"Should we take one more?" Phoenix asks me.

His question pulls my attention away from the girl and back to him. He extends his arm out to take a selfie of us and turns his head to kiss my cheek right before he takes the photo, which catches me by surprise and brings a smile to my face. The phone chimes while he takes a second selfie, and a message pops up on the screen. My gaze lands on Torin's name on the sender line, then moves to the message below it.

What the hell are you doing with Del?

My phone chimes next. It doesn't take psychic abilities to guess who texted me and why.

༺☆༻ ༺☆༻ ༺☆༻

There could be some drama up ahead at the hands of protective "big brother" Torin. And here Phoenix was concerned about Ava.😬

What songs do you think Phoenix should include in his new playlist for Del, for their second time around?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

235K 2.1K 67
"Why can't we be together?" "Because then i'll have to kill you." - Cassie lived with her big sister Ariene, She never really knew her parents, Cassi...
265 37 35
**Please Note: This Story Contains Explicit Content** Margot finds herself face-to-face with her past when she encounters Kev after a decade apart. D...
1.2M 26.1K 59
[COMPLETED] _____________________________________________ "You're worth more than a fucking deal, Amara." __________________________________________...
96.6K 1.4K 11
*Completed* *Unedited* *10 chapters available for read* [This is a spin-off of 'A Sacrifice To Remember' but can be read as a stand alone] **** When...