Her Lullaby

kotasonvenus tarafından

[Previously title Marigold and Sunflowers] He thought she was a sinful angel of temptation, but the most ann... Daha Fazla

These People
1- Threesome
2- Apple Juice
3- Salad & Tenders
4- Bar
5- Projecting
6- Uno
7- Ragedy Ass Car
8- Strays
9- Mushrooms
10- Auto Shop
11- Insomnia
12- Invisible Watch
13- Truce Cake
14- Raccoon
15- Orange Juice
16- Sister
17- Charity
18- Twenty-Three Six
19- Blush
20- Girls Night
21- Sophisticated
22- Breakfast
23- Swimming
24- Airport
25- Red Lipstick
26- Funnel Cake
27- Dangerous
28- Stethoscope
29- Chill Day
30- I Can't
31- The Law
32- Upset
33- Boundaries
34- Bouquet
35- Texas
37- Birthday Cake
38- Housewife
39- Gold-Hearted
40- Want
41- Apartment
42- Rain
43- Lullaby

36- Uber

1.7K 84 26
kotasonvenus tarafından

I bright smile blooms on my face as I turn to look at my dad. He looked the same a faded haircut, a beard that was sprinkled with a few grays, and smile lines permanently etched from his nose to the edge of his lips.

"Didn't Mama tell you stop calling me that?" I send him a I'mma-snitch look. "What would she say if she heard you?"

He chuckles wrapping his arms around me, "Let's not jump to drastic measures, child. What you're mother doesn't know won't kill her."

I hug him back, "Now you're keeping secrets from your wife?"

He breaks the hug sending me a look of disapproval, "California made you an instigator. You should move back to Texas. Sammy from the shelter you use to work at is hiring."

"As much as I appreciate the offer, I don't wanna." I shrug.

His brows furrowed, "How'd you get here? Why didn't you ask us to pick you up from the airport?"

"I took an Uber."

When I step back closer to Carter my dad finally realizes he's there. He looks at the man behind me then to the suitcases beside him.

Carter holds out his hand for a handshake but my dad was already speaking,

A grateful smile comes to my dad's face, "Oh, I'm sorry man I didn't see you. Thank you for dropping off my daughter. If I knew she was taking an Uber I would've gotten her, but thank you. And you ain't have to bring her luggage."

Instead of shaking Carter's hand, he slides his hand into a fist, dapping him up, but Carter's hand was so stiff my dad had a better chance of doing the handshake with a plank of wood.

I go still, tending to keep my laughter at bay, as my dad thanks my boyfriend and before I could correct him he was inside the house looking for money to tip him.

I look at Carter and we both smile, his more amused as mine was apologetic.

"Come in." I invite him inside the house, closing the door behind us and locking it.

"Are you sure?" He hesitantly step pass the threshold of the house, "I do not want your father wondering why your Uber driver is in your house."

"You'll be fine, cariño." I place my hands on his chest sliding them up to his shoulders to give him some comfort.

He bows his head and I press two kisses on his forehead. I felt like he needed the extra affection.

From behind me I hear someone clear their throat and I turned around as if I had been caught doing something I shouldn't have, but I relax when I see my mom standing in the living room.

"Hi, Mama." I say gently as she welcomes me into her arms and they wrap around me tightly.

She smiles brightly showcasing dimples I wish I had inherited, "Hi, my sweet girl. How was your trip?"

"It was good. We took a private plane." I glance to Carter who looked he didn't want to make any sudden movements though his face was void of any emotions that wasn't calm or gentle.

Mama's smile brightens and her dimples deepen at the action, "You must be Carter." Carter looked held out his hand for a handshake but my Mama swats it away pulling him into a hug. "It's so great to finally meet you."

Carter was stiff before he relaxed into my mom's hold glancing at me.

My mom steps back from the hug, "Come to the kitchen. I made dinner, and you can leave the luggage at the front door." She urges us to the kitchen.

"Delani called saying her and August were on the way." She said as she leads the way.

I never noticed how tall Carter was until he stood in the kitchen towering me and my mom. My mom was five seven while I was just an inch shorter. We were average height but he made us seem like elves.

"Mama I don't really have an appetite right now." I said getting a water out the fridge.

"What's wrong, honey?"

I shake my head, "Nothing." I was gonna open the water but Carter gently takes it from my hands opening it up for me.

I send him a thankful smile as he hands it back to me.

"What did you eat today?" She ask.

"I had a few pineapple slices on the way here." I take a sip a water avoiding both my mom's and Carter's eyes.

"Is that all you ate today?" She asked, worry seeping into her words, and a sense of guilt washes over me.

"You know my meds make me lose my appetite. Plus I also had a smoothie." I feel a large, warm hand slide to my lower back. "And I don't wanna force anything."

"Okay. As long as you're sure." She softly pats my cheek.

I turn to Carter who was looking at me with his brows furrowed, " You should have told me you were not feeling well."

I shrug, "I could handle it."

"Yes, but I don't want you handle it. I want to handle it. I want to make sure you are feeling well and if you are not I want to do my best to make sure you are." His hand was tenderly placed along my jaw, cupping my face, as he tilts my head making sure I was listening to every words.

"Okay." I said softly.

Drawing from my eyes his land on my lips, almost longingly, and I laugh quietly when I realize he was trying to keep it PG around my mom.

I stand on the tip of my toes as I press a quick kiss on his lips when my mom wasn't looking.

Carter looked taken back, looking around the room cautiously as if he was going to get in trouble. I laugh. His cheeks turn slightly red.

"Darlin', why is the Uber driver in our house? Better question, why is he standing so close to my daughter?" My dad's voice originates from the hallway with Carter's back facing him.

"You're good." I whisper quietly before turning to my dad with a bright smile that was filled with innocence. "Bubs, I've missed you so much when I was away."

I haven't called him Bubs since freshman year of high school, and calling him the name now seemed foreign on my lips but familiar at the same time.

My dads eyes soften as they fall on me and my smile turns gentle, "Bubs I would like you to meet, Carter." My boyfriend turns around to face my dad and my fingers secretly draw shapes on his back.

My dad nods walking to Carter clapping a twenty dollar bill in his hand, "Nice to meet. Here's your tip. Good luck your next passenger."

I huff a laugh, "Dad, Carter isn't an Uber driver."

His brows furrow but he takes his money back from my boyfriend, "Well then give me back my money." He puts the cash back in his pocket muttering the word thief under his breath. I roll my eyes.

My mother laughs quietly as she turns off the stove under what I think is to be chicken piccata.

"Bubs, he's my boyfriend." I clarify. My dad's face drops.

Carter steps forwards holding his hand out, "It is nice to finally meet you Mr. Taylor."

My dad looked at my boyfriend as if he was some foreign creature landed from space above, but he shakes his hand anyway. "Carter, was it?"

Carter nods firmly, "Yes, sir."

My dad turns to my mom with a look of confusion and curiosity, "Did you know about this?"

"Abuela told me." She answers not casting him a look as she pulls out plates.

"Why didn't you tell me?"

"I thought it was best Ivy handle your adult temper tantrum." She shrugs pulling a salad out of the refrigerator.

My dad scoffs, offended, as he looks at my mom in betrayal, "Aliyah, is this what our marriage has come to?" He asked dramatically.

My mom rolled her eyes sending my dad a 'really?' look as her eyebrows raise at the sound of her name coming from his mouth, "Yes, Bryce. Our marriage has dwindled down to me letting you find out our babies are growing up." She shifts her weight to one foot as a bored hand sits on her hips

My dad shakes his head in denial, "They're still one year old. I don't know what you're on about."

My mom laughs as she grabs a glass of wine, taking a sip. She rolls her eyes.

I look to Carter, "Come on. I'll show you the room." I smile, reaching for a suitcase but he takes it before I could.

He returns a soft smile and I place a comforting hand on his bicep, "He's all jokes, cariño."

My dad abruptly points at us, "I hope carino is Spanish for Uber driver."

Carter chests rumbles as he chuckles lowly looking down so my dad couldn't see the smiles on his lips, but giving me the perfect view.

I tap Carter's arm, "Follow me." When he nods I start walking sending my dad a be-nice-or... I couldn't think of threat right but he understood the silent message.

When we leave the kitchen I hear my moms voice talking to my dad, "You know he ain't no Uber driver."

"I knew when I opened the door. Don't no Uber driver dress like they going to a business meeting, but what kind of father would I be if I didn't scare him a bit."

My mother's reply becomes quiet to my ears as I walk into my old bedroom, and a wave of memories and nostalgia hits me as I look at the full size bed in the right corner, the tapestry hung on the ceiling above, the faux vines draped on every wall along with other fake greenery.

A brown vanity with a mirror still stood to the left of my bed near the window with sheer white curtains.

Turning on the light I walk in intrigued with everything in sight and when my eyes catch an old, black stereo receiver sitting on my old dresser I was drawn to it.

This was my favorite thing since I could remember. I'd played this almost everyday, sometimes even falling asleep with the music filling my room, and it was the reason why I bought CD every chance I could.

I plugged it in and press the power button. It seemed as if a CD was already in so I pressed play and nothing happened except for the stuttering sound of the CD inside.

I pout slightly in disappointment and fall face first onto the bed. The smell of Mama's favorite detergent wraps around me and there was the comfort of familiarity in the smell.

"I missed this room." I groaned, my voice muffled by the comforter and sheets. I turn on my back looking at Carter who had walked towards the bed, leaving the bags at the door.

"It is cozy." He nods, sitting down beside me but not laying down.

I reach letting my pinky finger fall over his and he glances at our touching fingers to me with a softness in his gaze that made me felt as if I was melting into the mattress.

His hand turns over and interlock our fingers, and he just held my hand.

Looking at him I didn't notice the stuttering of the CD had stopped and Hozier filled the room. I use to be obsessed with the artist during high school and college.

My lips tip upwards as the calming, low voice matched the melody and the lyrics seeping into my ears almost made me feel guilty for not listening to music as much I did in the past.

I closed my eyes listening to the song as my hand still holds Carters, and I relax.

I feel movement beside me and the mattress dips more and peeping one of my eyes open I see Carter laying next to me, stiffly, as if he never had laid still doing nothing before.

I close my eyes again before whispering, "Relax." I bring our locked hands up and laying a kiss to the back of his hands.

"I would be more relax if you were in my arms." His words didn't sound like he was flirting but as if it a was genuine honesty, that made my cheeks grow warm.

"I'm holding your hand." I smile turning my head to look at him and my brown eyes were automatically drawn to his hazel ones as he was already looking at me.

He tugs on our hands gently "It is not the same. I want more." It was a demand that I wasn't going to comply out of amusement and the joy of getting on his nerves.

It always amused me how he would demand and demand yet rarely ask and people were so quick to oblige. He held authority over others and he didn't shy away from it so they would like him, he simply didn't care what others thought about him, he just wanted what he wanted and commanded it.

"Greed is a sin." I reprimand.

"One out of seven." He tugs our hands again in attempt to pull me to him but I stay in place. His voice follows softly, "One I am familiar with when it comes to you."

"Am I the reason why you've gone down such a sinful path of greed?" My tone light-hearted.

"What's a sinner without a saint, girasole?" He replies.

"Still a sinner." I mutter.

"A sinner with hope." He corrects, a tender presence in his voice that seemed to caress the blush on my cheeks he was guilty for.

"Do you need hope?" I find myself asking with how this conversation had turned to subject that shown some vulnerability in him. His eyes spilling stories he never told me and leaving me with thoughts I could interpret.

"Didn't think I did." He whisper almost drowning in the sound of the music.

"And now?" I leaned in closer.

"And now I am holding hands with her."

••••••••••••••••••••••

<3 💿

Okumaya devam et

Bunları da Beğeneceksin

243K 13.4K 76
COMPLETED✔ "Her skin was the shade of dark chocolate and not the cheap shit, the expensive kind. The kind that your tongue slowly massages as your ta...
785 496 24
"You're a wizard,Harry!" Whoops,wrong book. "You're a Light Healer, Aurelia!" Eh....Not as catchy but let's roll with it. One night Princess Aurelia...
6.3K 235 89
Stephanie Walker, A-straight student, sweet,pretty and every parent's dream. What happens when her simple life clashes with the golden boy at her se...
668K 15.9K 61
August & Colin | WRU series | book 1 We take risks. We make mistakes. We lie. We love. We hurt. We lose total control. I took a risk. I paid the pri...