My Own Way

By strength0629

*This is the spin-off to Runaway Bride. I recommend reading it before starting to read this one.* Locked in... More

My Own Way
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 - Part 1
Chapter 24 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 25 - Part 1
Chapter 25 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 26 - Part 1
Chapter 26 - Part 2
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue

Chapter 4

26K 529 27
By strength0629

Chapter 4

I could hear noises coming from inside his apartment and the door opened.

Blake stood there with a big smile wearing jeans and a black shirt which made his blue eyes stand out.

"Hi." I said smiling back.

"Hi, come on in." He said, backing up to let me in.

"Thanks."  I walked in and noticed he had cleaned up.  He wasn't a messy guy but when I left this morning the place wasn't this clean.

"Sorry I'm late." I said feeling guilty.

"You're not late... You look great." He said and closed the front door.  "You had a really small shift at the diner today. I don't know how you do it."

"Yeah it happens.  Wait, do what?" I asked, while taking off my running shoes.

"Pay your bills... I know you don't live at home so..." He said walking towards his couch and I followed him and sitting on my foot at the opposite end of the couch.

"Well, sometimes my parents help me out.  Plus my boss is a jerk…it's his way of payback for misbehaving." I confessed.

"Misbehaving?"

"Yeah." I said, shaking my head.

"Can you or…do you want to explain?" He asked.

"Um..." I could still hear Emily in my head and it was driving me nuts.  Telling me to continue and talk.  "I had a customer the other day and he was...rude...and my boss thinks I handled it poorly for some reason." I answered.

"What did you do?" He asked with a smile, it was obvious he was curious.

"I um...I hit him upside the head." I said looking down and biting my lip.

"Really?  He must have been pretty rude to make you do that."

"Yeah and he still sits in my section." I added.

"What did he say?" Blake asked.

"He didn't say anything." I answered, checking the TV for the score of the game.  My team was losing but I didn't care.  My home team was my favorite team, win or lose.

"Okay? Did he do something?"

I looked at Blake for a second before deciding to answer.  My mom always told me sometimes you could tell if someone was good or bad news.  Obviously it didn't work out to well for us but she said, sometimes you could feel it, in your stomach or your heart.  A 'red light' turns on in your head, giving a warning sign.

I didn't really know Blake, I knew his body pretty well as he knew mine but other than that, I didn't know him.

I couldn't feel the 'red light' but nothing was telling me that he was good either.  I decided to take a chance.

We were staring at each other when I answered, "He slapped my butt."

"What!" He said loudly.

"Anyways, my boss didn't agree with the way I handled it so...he cuts my hours when I do something he doesn’t approve of." I said.

"He's lucky I wasn't there or I would have kicked his..." he started saying but I cut him off.

"It's not for anyone to handle but me." I stated.

He just looked at me, like he was trying to read me so I didn't break eye contact like I usually did, which was difficult.

"Well...then your boss is more than just a jerk." He said.

"I still need the job." I said.

"What changed?" He asked.  I had no idea what he was talking about.

"Huh? What do you mean?" I asked confused.

"This is our first real conversation.  You never talk.  It's always been difficult to get a full sentence out of you.  What changed?" He asked.

My eyes went big.  There was no way I was going to start saying that my therapist told me to or that I was even seeing a therapist.

"I've said plenty of sentences with you." I answered.

"The sentences you say or better yet the words you say, isn't a 'normal' conversation.  'Take off your pants' doesn't count." He said with a smirk on his face.

"I don't know what you're talking about, that is a perfectly good sentence." I said breaking eye contact again to check the TV.

"I'm not saying it's not a good one, it's a great one but this..." he said pointing to the both of us, "has never happen before." He said, referring to our conversation.

I looked around the room trying to think.  "I don't want to lie but I don't want to say it." I said in a low voice and not looking at him.

For me to say that was a big deal.  Lying came naturally for me, certainly if I didn't want to answer. 

"Okay." He said and I looked at him.  Our eyes connected and I was surprised.  He didn't push.

He smiled his great smile with his perfect teeth and I was in shock.

"You're not going to push?" I asked confused again.

"No.  If and when you want to tell me, you'll tell me.  I'd rather you say that than lie to be honest.  I don't like being lied to, like most people." He said and he glanced at the TV and then his eyes came back to mine.

"I'm not used to that." I confessed.

"Used to what?  Being honest or not being pushed?" He asked with a look I didn't know.

"Both.  Usually people push and I don't want to answer but they keep pushing so..." I said.

"Okay well...with me...just be honest.  If you don't want to answer, say so.  I won't push because I don't like being pushed myself, I don’t think anyone does.  I'll do the same with you.  Deal?" He asked.

I looked down at my hands to think then looked back at him.

"I'm not use to people not pushing." I confessed.

"Even your family?  Your dad at work, he doesn't seem like the pushing type."

"He's probably the only one." I said.  "...Okay, I'll try my best.  I don't want to say 'deal' or 'you have my word' because I don't want to break it.  If you really don't push, then I won't lie.  Is that okay?" I asked, feeling nervous.

"It's perfect." He said smiling again.

"Can I ask you a question?" He asked making my stomach turn into knots.

I nodded my head.

"I know your dad doesn't know about...whatever we are, but are you still going to ignore me when you come to the garage?" He asked.

I put my hands on my face to cover my reaction.  I felt like an idiot. 

I put my hands back down on my lap, "I'm sorry.  I know that's really mean, it's just...he's my dad.  My dad would tell my mom and my mom is like a detective.  She asks questions after questions… it never stops…ever.  Feels like being stuck in an interrogation room." I said, trying to explain.  "It's not you, it's me." I said being very serious.

It took a second to register but I thought back to what I had just said and I started to laugh.

He looked confused which made me laugh more.

"Sorry, it's just the most cliché line ever." I said trying to regain my composure. 

When I saw his lips forming a smile I knew he understood.

"I met your mom a couple times when she came to the garage.  Derrick and I were working on the same car and he introduced me.  She's nice...and yes, lots of questions." He said with a big smile.

"See!  She gets it from my grandma.  They are very similar but when I tell her or even if my dad tells her, she denies it." I said shaking my head.

I heard him chuckle and then say, "I get it.  Well you never know, you might get it when your older too."

"Then I should go into law enforcement.  If I’d be anything like my grandmother, I could be a great detective." I joked.  "A pet detective would be awesome too." I said but mostly to myself.

He laughed.  "I used to have those movies growing up, even though they were old.  My mom, she gave me the card that came with the first one, 'Ace Ventura Pet Detective', and at the bottom you'd sign your name, then you'd be safe to have your business." He said teasing.

I smirked and said "Like a glove!" in my best Jim Carrey voice but failed poorly. 

He laughed, "Awful!  That was awful!" He said.

"I had to try!  My dad and I use to watch that movie and the other one when I was a kid.  Pretty sure he still has them." I said.

"Good to know.  Those movies won’t ever go bad or be overplayed he’s too good of an actor in those movies." He said and I nodded in agreement.

It was going good, talking and barely looking at the TV.  I was surprised because I didn't know if we were going to get along.  I didn't with most people...well everyone and with him, it was good.  For him to make me laugh was good, for him to make me even mention my parents or grandmother was something that had never happened before with someone other than family or Lisa.  It was strange and different but it was nice at the same time.

We talked during the game.  When we'd hear the horn, announcing that a team had made a goal, we'd check to see which team and watch the replay.  Now and then we'd check to see how the teams were playing then we’d continue our conversation.

When a fight broke out I said it made the game interesting.

Blake laughed and asked if I liked violence.  I looked at him in surprise and was taken aback.

"I don't like violence but sometimes I think I'm the cause of it." I said.

It was silence for awhile after that.  I was in my head and I knew he wanted to ask but thankfully he didn't.  He proved to me that he didn't need to know everything right away.  I was surprised that he kept his word that he didn't push.  I understood why he asked with my comment and with the story about the guy at work, but I hadn’t expected that question.

"Where you live, do you have a roommate?" He asked after awhile.

I smiled.  "Yeah, Lisa, she’s a bit of a handful but she's great.  She's like my second mom at times but I wouldn't trade her." I said.

"You've known her for awhile?" He asked smiling.

"I met her on my first day of school.  She was my first friend." I said smiling.

He was still smiling but his eyes wanted to ask something.

"What?" I asked.

"You didn't have friends before her?  I mean before you started school?" He asked.

I thought back to my answer and was surprised by how much I was saying about myself and then my anxiety kicked in.

I guess it showed on my face because he immediately said, "Sorry, scratch that. It's good you have a friend you've known for so long."

"Yeah.  She's great." I stated, feeling paranoid about everything I had said so far tonight.  "What about you?" I asked, hoping to get the attention away from myself.

"I have a few guy friends but that's about it.  I don't have siblings, my mom raised me alone.  My dad left when I went 6 and I never saw him again." He said.

I looked at him and when he finally made eye contact with me I could see the hurt in his eyes but seconds later it was gone.

"Your mom must be a pretty amazing woman then." I said with a small smile trying to cheer him up.

"Amazing is the best word to describe her." He said smiling.

I was glad he was telling me more about himself, for him to open up to me made me feel better.  I wasn’t sure if it was the beginning of trust but maybe something like it.

"What are your friends like?" I asked, being curious.

"I'm not sure if that is a good word.  They're more like family.  Sometimes they're great to have around and sometimes I want to kick their asses.  They’re not blood but just as good." He said.

"That's good."

"Yeah, it's always been us four since High School.  We've been through a lot… They're good guys to have around."

I smiled at that.  I didn't know a lot of people, I always kept to myself.  I couldn't imagine having more friends, just the thought of it made me extremely nervous.

After the game we continued talking and I finished my can of Coke he'd given me during the second intermission.

"I should go." I said making sure not to look at him.

"Okay." I heard him say.  I lifted my head to look at him and he was smiling.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing."

"Then why are you smiling?" I asked again but in a different way.

"I’m smiling because we actually for the first time, since I’ve met you, had a conversation, a real conversation.  Also the fact that you're not staying or sleeping over...it's different.  I'm seeing a different side of you.  It's good.  Close to three months and I finally know you like Ace Ventura Pet Detective.  Progress."  He said teasing me again.

I rolled my eyes.

"What ever made you have the turn around today or tonight, I'm glad you did." He said still smiling.

"I should go." I repeated.

I smiled back and slowly got up.  He walked me to the door and I put my running shoes back on.

When I was ready I looked at him and smiled.  He came closer to me, to kiss me but I took a step back.  He gave me a look of confusion and I laughed.

"I'm not kissing you because if I do, I'm not sure I'll leave." I said as fast as I could.

He nodded and smiled giving me the impression of being proud.

"Do I get a hug?" He asked.

I though for a second and shook my head.

"I would love to know what's going on in that head of yours." He said.

"A lot..." Was my answer. "but if I hug you, I'll want to kiss you and if I kiss you..." I stopped talking and I felt my face heat up instantly and I heard him chuckle.

"I'm that good huh?" He asked laughing.

I didn't answer, I bit my lip.  Knowing my face was still bright red.

"I should go." I said for the third time.

"I hope I'll see you soon.  If not, I'll come to the diner and see you." He said.

I looked at him and said, "Poor you, the food there is horrible."

He laughed, "Yeah but my waitress is pretty great." He said and I smiled.

"Until next time." I said and opened his front door.

"I'll walk you to your car, it's late and it's dark." He said.

"No.  I'm good, honest." I said.

"It's late, let me..." He started to say but I cut him off.

"No.  I don't want to start saying goodbye all over again because I just embarrassed myself enough for one night.  Also, I have pepper spray in my purse so I should be good." I said.

"Pepper spray?" He asked and I wiggled my purse so he’d look at it, without opening it.

"A girl can never be too careful." I answered.

"I wouldn't want to be on the other side of that bottle." He said making me laugh.

"Night Blake, thank you, I had fun." I said for once actually being honest.

"Me too, hopefully we can do it again sometime." He said and I nodded.

"Night." I said and got out of the apartment.

"Night Amanda, be safe...  Hey, can you at least text me or something when you get home...so I'll know you're okay?" He asked.

"That, I can do." I said smiling.  "Bye."

"Bye."

I walked towards the elevator hearing his door close.  Once inside the elevator, I couldn't hold my smile in anymore. 

"I did it.  I really did it."  I kept whispering over and over to myself in victory.

When I made it to my car, I felt relieved.  It was dark outside but I had learned that you just walk as quickly as you can.  Also, I always held the pepper spray bottle in my hand while still inside my purse and my car keys in my other hand.

I drove home feeling happy and proud of myself for once.  I knew Emily was going to be proud of me as well.

When I got home Lisa was already asleep.  I got my cell phone out and texted Blake telling him I was home.  Seconds later I received 'Glad your home safe.  Sweet dreams Amanda.'

I wrote, 'Night Blake', and pressed send. 

I went to my room still smiling inside.  I knew falling asleep was going to be difficult but I had to try.

****Please Vote & Comment!  Thank You!!****

Hope you all liked the chapter!  (knowing a bit more about Blake...)  Next upload is Tuesday, have a great day tomorrow and a wonderful weekend! xx

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

358K 16.5K 33
[ Highest Rank: #64 in Teen Fiction ] [ Highest Rank: #191 in Random ] (i'm currently re-editing this, so i'm sorry if it's messy) When Danielle's mo...
66.2K 1.5K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
11K 164 15
Meet Riley brooks. Age 18. She was bullied her hole school life so she is shy round people but that's not the only reason shes shy, Riley's beaten by...