Once Upon a Wolf

By misslibbyj

Zoey Porter's life is not a fairytale. She isn't your typical love interest or the object of desire - someone... More

Howl-oo
PART I: Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
PART II: Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 13

177 16 12
By misslibbyj

CHAPTER 13

"Excuse me, did you say wolf?"

I looked at the town's land inspector, who had a puzzled expression.

I nodded. "Yes! W-w-wolf." I stuttered, still reeling from the shock. "A damn wolf!"

His face fell, and he darted his head across the ground. "Wolves! Where?!" he scanned the crowd of faces all looking at us. The barbeque came to a standstill from our commotion. "Where?" he shouted.

"Here!" I yelled. "At the back of the house!"

Alice grabbed my shoulders. "What the fuck are you saying?" she said, looking left and right. "Calm down, Zoey... please." She begged.

"Oh my," the land inspector said, clutching the clipboard against his chest. His eyes reciprocating my fear. He turned to Lincoln. "You know, I heard ghastly stories about large animals roaming these forests. Maybe it's wolves. I should write a report and call in the sheriff or pest control."

Lincoln grunted and pushed his way through, walking towards the back of the house.

Faye smiled and interrupted. "No-no-no, Mr. Callaway," she took his hand gently. "There's no need for that. We live here and I assure you there are no wolves." Her eyes met mine. "This is Alice's friend and..." she chuckled. "I'm afraid she hurt her ankle and the medication she's on made her slightly loopy. I presume she might have seen a fox. They're quite common around here."

Faye looked at Alice and she nodded. "Yes, a fox. I've seen one earlier this morning out at the back." Alice said.

The land inspector frowned with a doubtful raised brow.

I pursed my lips. "No, you didn't Alice, stop lyin —"

"Alice, why don't you take Zoey to the house so she can lie down." Faye interjected.

"I don't need to lie down!" I pulled out of Alice's grip. Why was she not listening to me?! Instead, she was fucking covering shit up! "We need to get out of here now, Alice." I tugged her arm. "I need to talk to you." I whispered to the side of her face. But she wouldn't budge as she looked at me with anxious eyes.

"I still think I need to call in re-enforcement to investigate the area." The land inspector suggested with a deep concerned frown.

I looked around and all the locals were staring at me while Faye guided the restless land inspector away. And then I realized, like a punch to the head. Brett might not be the only werewolf around. Instantly I looked at everyone as suspects. There was probably more. I crept closer to Alice, suddenly feeling self-conscience as my heart drummed inside my chest. "We neeeeed to leave, pleeeese."

"No, we can't, Zoey. Just shut up, will ya?" she whispered back, grasping my arms. I shook my head and looked at her with the same suspicion. I drew my eyes to the back of the house as six men sauntered around the corner.

"Oh, fuck..." I murmured. My eyes met Brett's annoyed gaze, and I clutched my crutch tighter — ready to defend Alice and myself. He was no longer in wolf form but himself with different clothes on. Maddox marched in front; his eyes fixed on me with a growing scowl on his face. His father and the other's behind him.

I felt my legs giving in.

"They are going to kill me," I whispered.

"They're not, just relax, Zoey." Alice said. But I couldn't relax. How could I? My brain went into overdrive of a way to get out of here, but danger was all around. My eyes darted to the car. It still hadn't been fixed. I looked at the forest and shook my head. How far would we run and there might be worse creatures out there? My eyes returned to Brett, who marched towards us, each step heated with anger. My attention darted to the main house.

I could call 911!

"Let's go." I pulled Alice aggressively by her hand towards the main house. My walk turned into a little jog. The throb in my ankle set in, but I was in survival mode. Alice huffed behind me as I dragged her up the stairs.

"Quick," I said behind me as she moaned a complaint, but I didn't hear her. I needed to call for help. We made it to my bedroom, and I locked the doors. I pushed with all my might the heavy chest of drawers against the door — barricading it. I gave a nod in satisfaction.

"That will have to keep us safe for now," I said fearfully and grasped my iPhone.

"Damn!" I cursed with gritted teeth as I looked at the black screen, failing to turn on. "I forgot to charge my damn phone and my only charger is in the living room." I threw my phone on the bed in frustration.

"How long do you plan locking us up in your bedroom?" Alice asked with folded arms.

"Until I can get us the fuck out of here and figure shit out, Alice." I said and searched for weapons. I opened my bedside drawer and my eyes widened in tiny hope.

"Uh huh!" I exclaimed and pulled out the bear repellent spray can. "This will have to do."

"You're expecting a bear?" Alice said evenly.

I gave Alice a narrowed look. "I'm expecting a fucking werewolf." I yelled and lowered my voice. They might listen outside. "And I'm sorry to say it's Brett, Alice. You were right when you said you might have been dating a werewolf. Brett's a fucking wolf! Can you believe that shit?" I waved my hands in unbelieving defeat.

Alice's eyes grew in panic. "How did you know? Did he tell you or show you or something?"

"He didn't know I was there watching them from inside the house. I just watched him murder another big ass wolf —" I paused. "Wait a minute." I blinked hard twice. "Y-y-you knew?"

She breathed in deep. "Oh, Zoey... why were you snooping around?" She slapped her cheeks with her hands that drained from color. "He said you shouldn't find this shit out. That's why you had to go home."

"Wait... what?" I said, feeling panic rise in my stomach from all the emotions I felt. But before I could answer, the door slammed open, knocking the chest of drawers to the side like it was an empty cardboard box.

An intimidating presence stepped into the bedroom. Maddox entered with a harsh expression, with Brent behind him. Nevermind wolves! Maddox looked more menacing. It scared me shitless, staring with frightened eyes at his deadly demeanor drilling into me. His deep blue eyes a tidal wave of wrath!

"I had to pay off the damn land inspector to keep his nose off my land, because of your damn mouth!" Maddox growled and sauntered forward.

Without a doubt, I believed this man was a werewolf, too, and without thinking, I grabbed the nearest thing I could find as my flight or fight mode kicked in.

I couldn't flee anymore. Fighting seemed like the only option.

I gripped tightly the bear repellent in my hand, and I aimed it at the beast of a man. I screamed, spraying as hard as I could into his damn face. He might not have been a bear, but he was an unnatural creature, nonetheless.

Brett flinched in surprise, and Alice gasped.

An unnerving guttural growl erupted from his chest, and I froze, panicking on the spot. I watched in horror as he rubbed his scrunched shut eyes with gritted teeth. Alice seized the bear repellent from hand and tossed the can to the floor.

Maddox seethed; his growls still pulsating. He snapped open his eyes, and it looked feral. His deep blue turned vivid. The pupils lengthened with his jaw clenched tight with anger. His nostrils flared as he breathed in and out.

I had awoken the beast!

Did I just make a colossal mistake?

"You dare defy me, human," he said in a low and dangerous tone that sent shivers up my spine. "That stunt will cost you."

Fuck! Why did I believe that shit would work? Abruptly, he marched forward, and Alice lunged in front of me. "Please! She didn't know." Alice reasoned with her hand held up. "It's my fault. Let me explain to her," she cried.

But Maddox looked like he would have none of it with his face looking pissed as hell. Brett grabbed his arm and moved swiftly in front of his eldest brother.

"Get out of my way, brother." Maddox seethed. "You know the penalty."

Brett nodded and glanced back at Alice, who looked at him with pleading eyes. Her quivering lips mouthed, "do something."

Brett blinked and looked at Maddox. "I can't allow Alice to get hurt. Let her explain to her friend... Please." Brett lowered his eyes to the ground. "You can decide with father what decision to take after the barbeque."

Maddox paused and regarded Brett, pleased with his brother's pleading submission. He narrowed his eyes and glanced at Alice and me.

"Fine, let your human girl sort out this fucked up mess for now." Maddox grimaced and tugged his arm out of Brett's grasp abruptly. "Put her friend on a leash before I do." He turned and exited the room, rubbing his irritated eyes.

Alice left my side and hugged Brett. Brett didn't smile this time, instead he looked at her and then at me. "You shouldn't have disrespected Maddox," he said.

I gulped.

He shook his head gravely. "You're a problem that needs to be resolved." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

156K 9K 34
• Completed • • Highest Ranking • #6 Werewolf February 2022 • Awards • 1st Place Paranormal Category: Splendiferous Awards May 2021 • Summary • ...
3.1M 106K 46
"You were made for me. And I, for you." His breath is right beside my ear and I tightly shut my eyes closed. He leans down closer. "I was made to lo...
264K 15.6K 47
Sometimes, the line between enemy and lover is even thinner than it appears... Monsters exist. But so do Hunters. Evelyn Del Val comes from a long li...
76.3K 3.7K 75
What if all your life you were told your future was bright? That you were perfect luna-to-be, that the boy you love should according to all signs be...