Latibule

By okamusame

Full title: 𝘓𝘢𝘵𝘪𝘣𝘶𝘭𝘦 (𝘔𝘏𝘈/𝘉𝘕𝘏𝘈 𝘉𝘢𝘬𝘶𝘨𝘰𝘶 𝘟 𝘖𝘊𝘪𝘴𝘩 𝘍𝘦𝘮! 𝘙𝘦𝘢𝘥𝘦𝘳) -~:~- 𝐋𝐚𝐭... More

01 - ᴘʀᴏʟᴏɢᴜᴇ
02 - ʏᴇʟʟɪɴɢ, ᴍᴜᴛᴛᴇʀɪɴɢ ᴀɴᴅ ꜱᴄᴏʟᴅɪɴɢ
03 - ᴘᴏɪɴᴛꜱ & ᴘᴇᴏᴘʟᴇ
04 - ᴋᴀᴛꜱᴜᴋɪ ʙᴀᴋᴜɢᴏᴜ
05 - ᴊᴏʏ
06 - ʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟɪᴛʏ
07 - Qᴜɪʀᴋ ᴀꜱꜱᴇꜱꜱᴍᴇɴᴛ ᴛᴇꜱᴛ
08 - ʜᴇʀᴏ ʙᴀꜱɪᴄ ᴛʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ
09 - ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴇᴅɪᴀ
10 - ᴀ ᴛᴜʀɴ ᴏꜰ ᴇᴠᴇɴᴛꜱ
11 - ᴏɴʟʏ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇɢɪɴɴɪɴɢ
12 - ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀ ᴏɴᴇ
13 - ᴀꜰᴛᴇʀᴍᴀᴛʜ
14 - ᴀ ᴅᴇᴄʟᴀʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
15 - ᴛʜᴇ ᴏʙꜱᴛᴀᴄʟᴇ ᴄᴏᴜʀꜱᴇ
16 - ᴄᴀᴠᴀʟʀʏ ʙᴀᴛᴛʟᴇ
17 - ᴇᴀᴠᴇꜱᴅʀᴏᴘᴘɪɴɢ
18 - ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ʀᴏᴜɴᴅ
19 - ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ɴᴀᴍᴇ ʙᴀꜱɪꜱ
20 - ᴛʜᴇ ʀᴇꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ʀᴏᴜɴᴅ ᴛᴡᴏ
21 - ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴇᴍɪ-ꜰɪɴᴀʟꜱ
22 - ᴛʜᴇ ꜰɪɴᴀʟ ᴍᴀᴛᴄʜ
23 - ᴛᴀʟᴋ, ᴛᴀʟᴋ, ᴛᴀʟᴋ
25 - ᴄʜᴏɪᴄᴇꜱ
26 - ᴇɴᴅᴇᴀᴠᴏʀ'ꜱ ᴛʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ
27 - ᴛʜᴇ ʜᴇʀᴏ ᴋɪʟʟᴇʀ
28 - ꜰᴇᴇʟɪɴɢꜱ
29 - ᴡᴏʀʀɪᴇᴅ
30 - ʀᴀᴄɪɴɢ
31 - ᴘʀᴇᴘᴀʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴꜱ
32 - ᴇxᴀᴍꜱ
33 - ᴀ ᴡᴀʟᴋ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴘᴀʀᴋ
34 - ʟᴜɴᴄʜ
35 - ᴅᴀʀᴋɴᴇꜱꜱ ᴀɴᴅ ʟɪɢʜᴛ
36 - ꜱᴜʀᴘʀɪꜱᴇ
37 - ᴡᴇʟᴄᴏᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ɪ-ɪꜱʟᴀɴᴅ!
38 - ᴘᴀʀᴛʏ ᴘʀᴇᴘᴘɪɴɢ
39 - ᴛᴀꜱᴋ ᴍᴀɴᴀɢᴇᴍᴇɴᴛ
40 - ᴇɴᴛʀᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴇxᴀᴍꜱ ᴠᴏʟ. 2
41 - ᴘʟᴇɴᴛʏ ᴏꜰ ᴄʟᴏꜱᴇ ᴄᴀʟʟꜱ
42 - ᴠɪᴄᴛᴏʀʏ
43 - ᴘᴀʀᴇɴᴛᴀʟ ᴀᴅᴠɪᴄᴇ
44 - ᴅᴀɴᴄɪɴɢ & ᴛᴀʟᴋɪɴɢ
45 - ꜰᴜɴ ᴛᴏ ɴᴏᴛ ꜱᴏ ꜰᴜɴ
46 - ᴘᴇꜱꜱɪᴍɪꜱᴛɪᴄ ᴏʀ ʀᴇᴀʟɪꜱᴛɪᴄ?
47 - ʀᴇꜱᴛ ᴏʀ ᴛᴇꜱᴛ?
48 - ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴇᴀꜱᴛꜱ' ꜰᴏʀᴇꜱᴛ ᴀɴᴅ ᴍᴏʀᴇ
49 - ᴅɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴛɪᴍᴇ!
50 - ᴛɪʀᴇᴅɴᴇꜱꜱ
51 - ᴛʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ ʟɪᴋᴇ ɴᴇᴠᴇʀ ʙᴇꜰᴏʀᴇ
52 - ꜰᴏᴏᴅ ᴀɴᴅ ʀᴇꜱᴛ
53 - ᴘᴏꜱᴛ-ᴅɪɴɴᴇʀ ᴇɴᴛᴇʀᴛᴀɪɴᴍᴇɴᴛ
54 - ɴᴏ ᴛɪᴍᴇ ᴛᴏ ᴡᴀꜱᴛᴇ
55 - ᴛʜᴇ ꜱᴛʀᴇɴɢᴛʜ ɪɴ ɴᴜᴍʙᴇʀꜱ
56 - ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏꜱᴛ ᴏꜰ ᴄᴀʀᴇʟᴇꜱꜱɴᴇꜱꜱ
57 - ᴇᴍᴏᴛɪᴏɴꜱ
58 - ᴀ ɴᴇᴡ "ᴍᴇᴅɪᴄɪɴᴇ"
59 - ᴛᴇɴꜱᴇ
60 - ɴᴏᴛ ꜱᴏ ꜱɪᴍᴘʟᴇ
61 - ᴀ ᴄʜᴀʟʟᴇɴɢᴇʀ
62 - ɴᴀʀʀᴏᴡ ᴇꜱᴄᴀᴘᴇ
63 - ꜰɪɴᴅɪɴɢ ᴄᴏᴍꜰᴏʀᴛ
64 - ᴛʜᴇ ꜱʏᴍʙᴏʟ ᴏꜰ ᴘᴇᴀᴄᴇ
65 - ɪɴᴛᴇʀʀᴏɢᴀᴛɪᴏɴ
66 - ᴛʀᴏᴜʙʟᴇ
67 - ᴀ ꜰᴀᴠᴏᴜʀᴀʙʟᴇ ᴏᴜᴛᴄᴏᴍᴇ
68 - ʜᴀɴɢɪɴɢ ᴏᴜᴛ
69 - ᴀ ʟɪᴛᴛʟᴇ ʟᴇᴄᴛᴜʀᴇ
70 - ꜱᴇᴛᴛʟɪɴɢ ɪɴ
71 - (ᴛʀᴀɪɴɪɴɢ) ʙᴜᴅᴅʏ
72 - ᴍᴏʀᴇ ᴛʜᴀɴ ᴡᴏʀᴅꜱ
73 - ᴅʀᴀᴍᴀ Qᴜᴇᴇɴ
74 - ʟᴀᴛɪʙᴜʟᴇ
ᴛʜᴀɴᴋ ʏᴏᴜ!

24 - ʜᴇʀᴏ ɴᴀᴍᴇꜱ

787 30 61
By okamusame

Previously on Latibule:

Just like that, we were dismissed. I didn't linger to chat like I usually did. Instead, I bid my goodbyes and went as I knew my parents were waiting.

My mind, however, was having a conversation of its own. There was something different in the air.

I looked at the sunset, a strange feeling brewing in the very depths of my heart. I could feel a change coming. If it was for better or for worse, that I had yet to learn.

-~:~-

Latibule — Chapter 24///Hero Names

-~:~-

The two days we were given to recover passed in the blink of an eye and, sooner than I'd hoped, I was walking to school yet again. The pitter-patter of the rain along with the murmurs of the morning crowd accompanied me during the first few minutes of my walk.

Then, to my surprise, a little girl ran up to me and grabbed my sleeve. "Hey!"

I turned to face her, crouching down to be at her eye level. "Oh, hi." I looked around, trying to see if she had a parent in sight. "What's going on?"

"You're Y/n L/n!"

"Uhh, that I am."

"Your quirk is so cool!" the girl exclaimed, innocent admiration in her eyes before she looked at me more searchingly. "Are you okay? You fell in your match against the ice guy."

"Oh, yeah, I am. Thank you for ask—"

"Shiori!" A woman ran up to the girl, taking her by the shoulders. "There you are, don't run off like that!" I stood up and she turned to me. "Thank you so much for looking after my daughter."

"Oh, it's no problem, really," I shrugged it off. "Your daughter's very nice. She just wanted to talk."

"She's L/n from the Sports Festival, mama!" the girl butted in.

"Oh." Recognition crossed the mother's face before she smiled at me. "My daughter admires your quirk. It's quite similar to her own."

"Yeah, yeah, see?" The girl — Shiori — exclaimed, extending her hands towards me. They were glowing, little sparkling dust pooling off of them.

"This is so cool," I gushed, looking at the sparkles before straightening myself up again. My shoulders sagged with regret as I looked at the pair. "It was nice to meet you both," I started, "but I really have to go now. I don't want to miss my bus to school."

"Yeah, come on, Shiori," the mother told her daughter as she gave a nod to me. "We should get going, too."

"Bye-bye, L/n!" Shiori waved at me, hanging from her mother's hand.

I waved back with a smile before walking on. It was lucky that I'd exited home earlier, otherwise I would've most definitely missed the bus.

><><

I rushed to change my shoes before grabbing my bag from where I'd placed it on the floor and rushing towards my classroom. I still had a few minutes before the bell would ring and I wasn't planning on being late, not after I'd struggled to walk on the wet pavement without getting splashed by the passing cars.

I arrived at my seat, most of my classmates chattering on and on about how they'd been recognised. It was true that the Sports Festival had an impact, really. After the encounter with Shiori and her mother, a few more people had talked to me. Some had even told me they'd rooted for me from the very beginning. I mean — who would've guessed?

I leaned back in my chair to start a conversation with Bakugou but the door slid open. In an instant, everyone was sitting down, the excitement carefully tamed as we greeted Mr. Aizawa.

He walked to the front of the class while Tsuyu — Tsu, she insisted I'd call her — pointed out that he didn't have any bandages anymore. It was true but I noticed a scar under his eye from when he'd been smashed into the ground. A wave of coldness washed over me as I remembered the U.S.J. incident. It was the day when I almost started understanding villains. Luckily, the thoughts were long gone by now.

"We have a big class today," Aizawa announced. "A hero informatics."

I froze. I knew I should've looked into theoretical material—

"You need code names."

My vision hazed as I let out the breath I'd been holding for nearly long enough for me to pass out.

The class cheered and Mr. Aizawa's hair rose up. A single glance from him was all that was needed for all of us to shut up again (even if I hadn't said anything).

"This is related to the pro hero draft picks that I mentioned the last time we were in class together. Normally the students don't have to worry about the draft yet — not until their second or third year, actually — but your class is different."

The villain attack, I realized. We have a head start in hero business when compared to our age group.

"In fact, by extending the offers to first years like you, the pros are essentially investing in your potential," Mr. Aizawa continued. "Any offers can be withdrawn if their interest in you dies down before graduation, though. So you'll still have to prove yourselves even after you've gotten recruited."

He pulled out a remote. "Now, here are the totals for those of you who got offers."

I quickly searched for my name. My breath hitched. I was the third! 1786? Who would—

"In past years it's been more spread out," Mr. Aizawa interrupted my thinking. In all honesty, I didn't even know what to think so I really rather listened to him talk. "But there's a pretty big gap this time."

Murmurs started flooding the air but I chewed on my lip, paying them no mind. I knew I'd improved these past months but I didn't think it would be enough for a pro to want to recruit me! Let alone 1786 of them!

"If I scared a pro, they're just weak!" Bakugou exclaimed. I flinched at the sudden voice that managed to penetrate my personal bubble of tuning everything out.

I felt a kick on the back of my chair. I turned to face Bakugou. He raised a brow, as if asking if I was okay. I gave a smile before turning back forward to listen to Mr. Aizawa who'd started speaking again.

"You'll all be interning with pros. Got it?" he asked, making sure that we knew how serious the matter actually was. "Even those of you who didn't get any offers."

"Oh, so we're all interning?" Midoriya asked, confirming what he'd heard.

"Yes. You all already got to experience combat with real villains during the attack on the U.S.J. Facility. But it'll still be helpful to see pros at work — up close and personal, in the field, first hand."

I nodded to myself, making sure to register the information I was given.

"These hero names will most likely be temporary. But still, take them seriously or—"

"—you'll have hell to pay later." The door slid open and Midnight stepped in, her appearance causing excitement in the more... immature boys of my class. "What you pick today could be your codename for life. You better be careful or you'll be stuck with something utterly indecent."

"Yeah, she's got a good point," Mr. Aizawa agreed, stepping a bit to the right to give Midnight access to the table. "Midnight is going to have final approval over your names." He picked up his regular sleeping bag. "It's not my forte."

Despite the statement, he continued talking. "The name you give yourself is important. It helps reinforce your image and shows what kind of hero you want to be in the future. A codename tells people exactly what you represent. Take All Might for example." He left it there and handed each row of students whiteboards and markers that were to be passed on to the next until everybody got one.

I looked down, my mind blanker than the board in front of me. I'd recently learned that I was still discovering and developing my quirk so I couldn't focus on that too much.

What about something symbolic?

My mind wandered back to when I was around 10 and doing research for my future hero name. Back then I'd been way more confident in my abilities and pretty much thought myself a hero already. And now, I was stuck.

I raked a hand through my hair before letting it fall to frame my face once again as I went over everything I knew about my quirk. The name's Energy Manipulation. I can draw energy from the air, store it, and use it later. The Energetic Hero....? No, absolutely not.

I bit my lip, racking my brain. What qualities do I have? What qualities do I want to have? Who even am I?

I knew I valued life, peace, happiness and love above all but what did that give me?

"Now, students, who among you is ready to share?"

My heart leapt to my throat. I hadn't even uncorked my marker yet!

I looked back down at my board. My brows furrowed as my thoughts ran wild. Had I found the one...?

I quickly scribbled down the name I thought of before looking at Aoyama, who'd walked up to present his name.

"Hold your breath," he warned. Then he flipped his board over. "The shining hero: I cannot stop twinkling," he announced, holding the name up proudly.

Midnight took the board and made some changes but let the guy keep the point of his name.

Mina was next. She was thrilled about what she'd thought of — Alien Queen — but Midnight shot the idea down immediately for being too threatening.

I looked down at the board once again. I was convinced my name was okay but what if...

Tsu was next. "I've had this name in mind since grade school. Rainy Season Hero: Froppy."

"That's delightful, it makes you sound approachable," Midnight praised, approving the name right off the bat. "What a great example of a name everyone will love!"

"Froppy, Froppy, Froppy," some of us chanted while I clapped silently and nodded to Tsu to show what I thought of the idea.

Kirishima quickly walked up after Tsu left and showed us the name. "Sturdy Hero: Red Riot," he read aloud for those in the back.

Midnight commented something about the inspiration for the name but I paid no mind to it, planning to go next.

Therefore, as soon as he walked out of the spotlight, I pushed my chair back. "If I may..." I trailed, looking at Midnight.

"Of course, come on here."

Her smile was encouraging and the knot in my stomach loosened as I stood up and walked behind the table.

"It's the best I could come up with," I started, making sure I said that in case the name turned out to be horrible. "The Empathetic Hero: Aura."

"Ahh," Midnight hummed. "It's a nod to your quirk, yes? How you can feel the energy and people's emotions lingering in the air?"

I nodded, a bit nervous.

"In that case, it's brilliant."

I smiled. "Thank you."

I walked back to my seat, letting out a breath of relief as I did so. The worst was over. Now I just had to remember my own alias.

There was a kick on the back of my chair and I turned around to look at Bakugou. He was leaning his face on his fist and didn't even glance at me as he spoke. The murmur was so low that I almost didn't catch it. Fortunately I did.

"Good name," he said.

I couldn't put a finger on why his opinion mattered so much to me. I figured it was because we were friends. Well, maybe not friends because the noun wasn't something that seemed to exist in Bakugou's vocabulary. There were only acquaintances, rivals and enemies. Whatever we were, I'd grown fond of him.

Still, that didn't explain the slight churning in my stomach every time I looked at him or the way my heart seemed to flutter when he spoke. I shook my head, clearing it of whatever I'd started to think. Bakugou probably just cared for me... in his own unique way.

Jirou was next and she had walked up by the time I freed myself of the clutches of my own thoughts. "The Hearing Hero. I'm Earphone Jack," she presented, confident as ever.

After Jirou, everyone came rather fast.

There was the Tentacle Hero: Tentacole and the Taping Hero: Cellophane.

Of course I couldn't forget Ojiro, Sato and Mina's second attempt. The names were the Martial Arts Hero: Tailman, the Sweets Hero: Sugarman, and Pinky, respectively.

Then there was Kaminari. He'd dubbed himself the Stun Gun Hero: Chargebolt. Fitting, I had to admit.

"I hope I can live up to this name," Yaoyorozu started, much like I had. "The Everything Hero: Creati."

"Shoto."

I deadpanned at Todoroki's name. Just that? With a quirk like his, there had to be plenty of ways to put the hero name. Midnight seemed to agree with me but let the boy keep it.

Next was Tokyami, who'd gone with naming himself the Jet-Black Hero: Tsukuyomi.

And then there was Mineta, who didn't even reach to look over the table but presented his name anyway. It was the Fresh-Picked Hero: Grape Juice.

I found his name weird because, well, first of all, his quirk actually didn't have anything to do with grapes except for the color (much less the juice), and, second of all, why'd you want to call yourself fresh-picked. The whole thing just didn't sit well with me.

Petting Hero: Anima. Koda didn't make a sound as he presented the name but it was approved anyway.

The chair behind me squealed and Bakugou walked up. As he passed, I got a glance at his whiteboard. Is it...?

"King Explosion Murder."

I leaned my forehead into my palm. What?!

Needless to say, it wasn't approved of.

Uraraka's name — Uravity — was a different story. It fit her as well as her hairstyle did.

"To be honest, choosing names is going faster than I thought it would," Midnight mused after Uraraka had taken her seat again. "All we have left is young Bakugou, who needs to rethink his, and Iida. Oh, yes, and Midoriya, too."

I waited for the last three, as did we all. After a few minutes, they all stepped up pretty quickly.

There was Iida, who just went with his first name, similarly to Todoroki.

Midoriya ended up with Deku, which surprised us all because it was well-known that it was something he used to take as an insult.

Bakugou, who went right after, was rejected once again as he tried with Lord Explosion Murder. Pretty useless, really. If I had to choose between keeping the word king or the word lord in my name, I would've gone with king because that was a much higher status. It didn't matter, of course, as long as the name threatened to murder somebody.

Bakugou was left to mull over his name as Mr. Aizawa stepped up again.

"Now that everyone's decided on their hero names, we can go back to talk about your upcoming internships."

Ignoring Bakugou's angry grumbles from behind me, I focused solely on what our homeroom teacher was talking about. It could very easily determine my future, after all.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

198K 7.9K 24
【 OLD VERSION 】 You can find the rewritten version through my profile :) ❝ Did you just grow a fucking cactus on my ass? ❞ ➪ ⁱⁿ ʷʰⁱᶜʰ ᵃ ᵍᵃᵐᵉʳ ᵍⁱʳˡ ᵐᵉ...
77.8K 2.4K 29
ɪɴᴛᴇʀᴇsᴛɪɴɢ™ 𝘐'𝘮 𝘣𝘭𝘰𝘤𝘬𝘪𝘯𝘨 𝘺𝘰𝘶 𝘢𝘨𝘢𝘪𝘯 A textfic in which Bakugou texts his childhood friend for the first time in years. But they're...
519K 14.4K 49
*In process of editing* You're Kirishima's estranged twin sister. You've come back to Japan after pursuing a modeling career in America (Don't give m...
82 0 5
I've always believed in the supernatural, like ghosts and stuff. This apparently proved useful in what I would go through in the future. It has alway...