real people - j.k.

By pettigrews_puthay

Lynna is comfortable with her simple life, floating by with her bestfriend. Josh is occupied by his up and co... More

notice
one
two
four
five
six
seven
eight
nine
ten
eleven
twelve
thirteen
fourteen
fifteen
sixteen
seventeen
eighteen
nineteen
twenty
twenty one
twenty two
twenty three
twenty four
twenty five
twenty six
twenty seven
twenty eight
twenty nine
thirty
thirty one
thirty two

three

199 8 9
By pettigrews_puthay

Lynn's POV

"You wanna come with me tonight?" I asked, going through my bag.

"I can't. I know I'll get a drink, and I know I won't stop, and I have to be up at 6 to get my plane." Frankie sighed. "But update me on mystery man."

"I will." I smiled, going in to hug her goodbye. "Love you, be safe."

"Love you too." I left out her apartment, heading down the hall towards the bar. I waited for the elevator to chime, finally the doors opened.

"Oh, sorry." I said, backing away from the door.

"Oh, no, you can come in here." The girl smiled, making room for me.

"You sure?" I asked, only making the girl nod. I joined her in the elevator, trying to be smooth. She looked familiar, but at the same time, she didn't.

"I know this is odd, but I feel like I've seen you before." I spoke, trying not to weird her out.

"Uh, maybe we've met, I'm not sure. I'm Veronica, Ronnie, Kiszka." She smiled.

"It doesn't sound familiar. I'm Lynna Ceira." I smiled. "Do you live in the complex?"

"No, I'm visiting my brothers, I happened to be in town." She said.

"That's sweet." I said. "That's so weird, I cannot place you for the life of me."

"Maybe I just have one of those faces." She shrugged.

"Maybe." I laughed. "It was nice meeting you."

"You too."

I excitedly waited for the band to go on the stage, preparing my sketch. I had got the twins mostly done, I needed to move onto the other two.

Once they took the stage, the singer introduced them, once again failing to recognize himself. I groaned knowing this would be tantalizing still not knowing his name.

It was odd just how quickly the singer found me in the crowd. His eyes laid on mine for a moment, before sending me a smile. I had to do everything in my willpower to not look like an idiot.

The music moved on, carrying the time. They were pretty good, I was growing fond of their music. I liked when they sang 'a change is gonna come.' I had been familiar with the song for years, as my grandmother had a thing for Sam Cooke, she even met him once.

I couldn't help but steal looks to the singer, even though I was drawing the bassist and drummer. I was almost sure he looked to me as well.

I wasn't sure what I'd do after this project, I had grown so attached to it. I really enjoyed drawing these boys, their features had me in awe. And maybe the fact that, I wouldn't have an excuse to show up to their shows once I finished.

The band's night came to an end, I was already waiting for the next gig. I took a break from my drawing. I went to the bar to get a small drink.

"What brings you here tonight?" A voice rang, but not the one I was hoping. I looked to see a man, maybe a few years older than me.

"Uh, just took a little break." I said, attempting to smile. I wasn't one to be rude, but I had the feeling he wasn't necessarily wanting to be friends.

"What drink are you getting?"

"That one, the 'Red Head.'" I said.

"Well, you're not a red head." He smiled.

"Good observation." I nodded, not being able to avoid being snarky.

"Something wrong?" He asked, his face flickering in a way that alarmed me.

"No, just tired." I said.

"You should smile, it would look so much better." I felt myself almost throw up internally.

"Uh, yeah, I'm gonna head back to my seat now." I forced the smile, hoping to leave smoothly.

"Hey now." His hand wrapped around my wrist, making my insides freeze. I stood still, unsure of how to get out of this.

"Hey." Another voice greeted, lightly touching my shoulder. "Who's this?"

I looked to the man talking to me, surprised to see the singer.

"Do we know you? I can't seem to place your face." He said, moving his look towards the man. The singer looked down to my arm, which the man was still holding, and moved closer to me.

"Are you gonna let go?" He asked, the edge in his voice intimidating even me. The man released my arm, still having a stare-off with the singer. The silence between them was almost comical, if the circumstances had been different.

The man left in a huff, finally allowing me to let out a breath.

"Thank you, so much." I said, never more thankful for a man. He smiled, giving my shoulder a slight brush, a small 'you're welcome.'

"No problem, I saw that guy try and talk to a few girls, none of them returned the feelings." He laughed.

"I thought I was done for." I laughed.

"Well, isn't a great thing I was looking for someone?" He smiled.

"Who are you looking for?" I asked, hoping to keep the conversation going.

"I don't know her name." He said, I felt my heart drop at the 'her.' Maybe he had found a girl he fancied a lot.

"That's a bummer, maybe she's around here somewhere." I smiled, trying not to show the slight disappointment I had.

The bartender dropped off my drink, also sliding a drink to the singer. He was still looking to me, a humorous smile on his face.

"What?" I asked, a confused smile finding my face.

"You're not very great at picking up on hints." He grinned, taking a sip of his drink.

"What do you mean?" I laughed, trying to understand. He looked at me, waiting for it to click in my mind. "Oh, wait, you were looking for me?"

"Yup." He smiled.

"Wow, that makes me feels like a main character." I said, causing him to laugh. "Why are you looking for me?"

"I would like to see the picture you've been drawing of us." He said, surprising me.

"What makes you think I'm drawing a picture of you?" I smiled, trying to play with him.

"Maybe because you've showed up to the last few shows, yet you don't pay attention to the music, instead focus on that sketchbook." He said with the, somehow warm, smirk never leaving his face.

"I do pay attention to the music." I corrected. "And other things, I can multi-task."

"Other things?" He repeated. "Well, can I see the picture?"

"No."

"No?"

"Not yet. It's not finished." I shrugged.

"Why's that mean I can't see it?" He asked.

"Because. It'll be better finished." I said. "I'd rather you see it complete."

"When will I get to see it then?" He asked, seeming very into our conversation. It was odd having all his attention on me. Even I tended to look away, just out of pure nervousness.

"I'm not sure, maybe another show, maybe two if I want to get the finer details for all of you." I said.

"We have a few more here." He said.

"I know, I have a list." I said, before realizing how creepy that sounded. He raised his eyebrows, seemingly amused. "I mean, not in like a stalker way, I just wanted to be able to finish it. My friend from here got it for me."

"You're fairly dedicated." He smiled. "I still really want to see it."

"Sorry, no can do." I said.

"Have you drawn me yet?" He asked, failing to hide how excited he seemed for my answer.

"I drew you first, actually." I smiled, earning a cocky look from him.

"Really?" He smiled.

"Well, you're the frontman, it only seemed right." I said. "Oh, and I have a complaint for you."

"About what?" He asked confused.

"You never introduce yourself. I have all of their names, but you haven't ever said your name. It's rather frustrating actually." I said. He quickly grew a smile at my complaint, in such a different way. I didn't know how to describe his faces. He had so much emotion in his looks, it was hard to think of how to describe his looks and not seem repetitive.

"That really works you up, doesnt't it?" He laughed.

"Yes, it's hard to refer to you as 'the singer,' when I know all the others names." I said.

"How often did you need to talk about me?" He asked, an almost knowing grin on his face.

"Um...just to myself really, thinking about drawing and things like that." I stumbled, knowing that was a pathetic attempt.

"Ah, I see." He obviously didn't buy that. "What do you think my name is?"

"Are you kidding me?" I laughed. "Okay, I think you look like a...Micheal."

"That's fucking weird." He said. "My middle names Michael."

"No way." I laughed. "Lucky guess."

"Maybe." He said. We didn't speak for the slightest moment, being the first time since he came over here.

"Hey, why don't you come over there with me and my brothers?" He asked. His tone didn't seem pushy, he sounded like he truly wanted me to go over there.

"Uh..."

"You don't have to or anything, I just figure you could get to know us. You know, considering you draw us. Could add something more to your art, perhaps?" He asked. I knew he was just trying to get me over there, but I loved it.

"Okay." I laughed, rising up from the stool. He smiled gladly and led the way through the bar.

"Hey, guys." He greeted the boys. "This is..."

He trailed off looking to me, realizing he forgot to ask my name.

"Lynna, but you can just call me Lynn." I smiled to the boys. "Wait, what's your name?" I wildly looked to him, somehow also forgetting to ask for his name in the moment.

"I can't believe you don't know my name." He said, acting as dramatic as possible. I rolled my eyes playfully, almost forgetting the boys were watching us.

"It's Lee." He smiled. I had a strange feeling that wasn't right. I looked to his brothers faces, who both looked either confused or amused.

"You're such a liar!" I laughed.

"You're really going to tell me I don't know my own name?" He said, faking offended. I looked at him for a moment, trying to decide if I believed him or not.

"Hey, Josh!" Someone called out from a few feet away. "You left this backstage!"

I looked to him, I wore the smirk this time, proud of myself and how that worked out.

"Josh." I repeated. "That's rather basic, isn't it?"

"Wow, I invite you over here, introduce you, and you attack my name?" He said, trying to keep an upset look on his face.

"I don't know if I'd say introduce, you didn't tell me their names." I said.

"You know their names." Josh said.

"But what if I didn't?" I smiled, Josh also had a smile tugging at his lips.

"Josh is in an ornery mood tonight, isn't he?" The one I knew to be Jake, laughed.

"Yes, he is, is he always like this?" I looked to him, playing along. I loved the energy I felt, I wasn't sure how to even describe it.

"He's been like that since the womb." Jake laughed.

"How would you know? I was out before you." Josh chimed in, not being able to let that float.

"5 minutes." Jake groaned, as if this was a common conversation.

"Your point?" Josh responded, the sassiness lacing his voice. They looked to each other for a moment, only amusing me further.

"Let me get a chair." Josh finally said, confusing me for the slightest moment. I was nervous to talk these boys, despite the welcomeness that radiated from them. I was awkward in bigger groups. I could be the extrovert, but if there was another extrovert, I went quiet.

"You can sit down." Josh said, wondering why I was still standing. I would, but he was holding the chair.

"Don't I need the chair to sit in?" I asked.

"No, I'm sitting in it, you take that seat." He said, as if it was the most obvious thing.

"But, this is your table." I said, confused.

"And, this chair is uncomfortable, so you get the cushions." He said.

"Are you sure?" I asked, nervously, I didn't want to seem pampered to the boys.

"Sit." Josh ordered in a soft tone. I listened to him, almost liking the way he ordered me to sit. It was sweet in an odd way.

"Lynn here has been drawing a picture of us for the past few weeks." Josh announced to the boys. I felt my cheeks burn, wishing he would've said that differently.

"Really?"

"Can we see?"

"Uh, I would show you." I said nervously. "But, I don't want to ruin the end affect. I think it'll be nicer to just see the finished project."

"I tried to talk her into letting me see, but she wouldn't budge." Josh complained.

"Are you any good?" The one named Sammy asked.

"My friend thinks so." I laughed. "I've never asked a professional, but she is an art major."

"Can we see some?" Josh asked. I looked at the boys for a moment when I decided to be brave.

"Sure." I smiled. I dug in my bag for a moment, pulling out the sketchbook I had. I flipped to a page with a few decents, making sure to stay away from the picture of them. I handed it to Jake first, he was closest to me. Once he looked through them, an impressed look on his face, he passed it to Daniel.

"Those are really good, like seriously." Jake complimented.

"Thank you." I smiled, slightly loving this newfound validation.

"So, this is a bit odd, but I think I've saw you outside of here before." Jake said.

"See, I swear I've seen you two before this too." I said.

"I think I figured it out." He said. "That girl you brought here last time, I think I've saw her a few times around our apartments."

"You're kidding." I laughed. "Frankie? You've saw Frankie around your apartment complex?"

"Yeah, I saw her at this girls party, Delaney's party to be specific." Jake smiled.

"No fucking way." I smiled, and also causing all of them to look to me. "I know Delaney, we live in the same building, Frankie too."

"Wait, you live in the same place as us?" Josh asked, looking more shocked and excited than ever.

"I think so!" I said.

"That's so cool, and you didn't know this beforehand?" Josh asked.

"No, I mean Frankie thought she saw Jake at our apartments, but I brushed it off." I said.

"What apartment are you in?" Jake asked.

"18." I said. "You guys?"

"51." Josh answered.

"Hey, that adds up to 69!" Sam announced after a moment. I thought for a second, realizing he was right. I felt my face go warm, praying the boys didn't see that.

"Meant to be." Jake smiled, obviously amused at my embarrassment. I looked to Josh, surprised to see him look a bit embarrassed too. I didn't take him as one to easily get embarrassed.

"These are really good, Lynn." Daniel said, snapping my attention from the Sam comment.

"Thank you." I smiled to him before he looked back to it, while sharing with Sammy. I could tell those two were sweet, Sam might be an ornery sort of guy though. Jake seemed a bit shy, but very sweet. Josh...I wasn't going to speak too early.

"How long have you lived there?" Josh asked.

"I'm almost at a year." I said.

"Wow, we've only been there for about 4 months." Josh said.

"This is so cool." I said. "It's so odd."

"It is odd, are you sure you haven't been stalking us?" Josh asked, failing to sound serious.

"Yes, I'm wildly obsessed. I even moved to the apartment 8 months prior to you, just to get closer." I answered. He smiled to me, taking everything in me to tear my look from him. He had something addicting to him, I wanted to just look at him. Maybe it was his comforting smile, or his soft eyes, something was endearing about him.

We all made our way out of the bar, giggling our butts off. Sammy was stumbling, having drank a bit much.

"Do you have a ride, Lynn?" Josh asked after we began to split up.

"I was planning on walking down to the bus." I said.

"You have to know I can't let you do that." Josh said. "It's way too dark."

"You don't think I'm capable?" I asked, playing with him.

"I think you're fully capable. But, I also know people on drugs are fully capable of being irrational." He answered smoothly.

"I'm not scared of them." I lied. I wasn't necessarily scared, more worried.

"No?" He laughed. "Either way, I can't let you walk alone."

"I don't want to make you walk." I said, trying to quickly shut that down.

"I mean, I'm going to do whatever you need to, but you could just take the car with me and Jake." He offered, the smile on his lips enticing me more.

"Do you realize how shady that sounds?" I asked.

"Lynn, love, look at him." He said, pointing to Jake from beside me. Jake was staring in oblivion, in his own world. He looked rather goofy to be completely honest.

"It's the sweet ones that will ruin you." I laughed, still looking to Jake.

"C'mon, I'm taking you either way." He shrugged, sliding his hand into mine. I was surprised by the gesture, but did not try and stop it. His fingers laced through mine, creating a warm feeling throughout my body.

He walked fast for a short guy, almost pulling me.

"Jake, let's get to the car." Josh smiled, slapping his twins arm. "Would you like to hold my other hand?"

Jake gave him a 'done-with' look, causing Josh to put his hand down.

"I don't want your hand anyways." Josh huffed, a bit offended. Josh continued to hold my hand as we walked down the block towards the car. He liked to move his hands when he spoke, so his fingers would wiggle, even though I held them. I wasn't sure if he meant the holding to be in a slightly romantic way, but I loved it either way. It was sweeter with him than anyone I had met before, and that was a tad conflicting.

Once we got in the car, Josh talked even more avidly. Music played, Josh trying to get me onto 'good music.' I did like lots of their music, but I liked to let Josh talk. Jake looked done with him at points.

We drove through the streets towards our building. This whole night had been bizarre. I wasn't even expecting to talk to Josh, I didn't know his name even, and now they're driving me to where we all happen to live. I loved it so much though, I wouldn't ever go back to this morning.

"Maybe you guys could come over for dinner sometime? You don't have to or anything, but the invitations open." I offered, not wanting this to end here.

"Might as well, we have to take advantage of living so close." Josh said as the slow elevator moved up.

"Great, I can cook just about anything you'd like. Or if we just hung out, whatever ends up happening." I said. They both smiled, actually seeming happy at the idea.

"I gotta get off, but thank you so much for the drive home and everything." I thanked, going out the doors. I was confused when Josh jumped out the doors, looking to him confused.

"What's wrong?" I asked, holding the door for him. I didn't want him to miss the elevator when he could just go up now.

"I'm walking you to your door." He said.

"Why?" I asked.

"Why not?" He smiled.

"Because my apartment is all the way at the end of the hall." I said.

"I don't mind." He shrugged. I looked to Jake, wanting him to help out. Don't get me wrong, I would love for Josh to walk me, but I didn't want him to think of me as a burden.

"He's not gonna take no for an answer on this one." Jake smiled. I let my fingers fall from the door. Josh smiled triumphantly, only making me laugh at his face.

"You need to let people be nice to you." He causally said.

"What do you mean?" I asked, lost on where he pulled that from.

"Every time I've tried to offer something, you've countered it." He said.

"I'm sorry, I just don't want to put you out, that's all." I explained, not wanting him to think I didn't want his attention. I would hate for him to think I didn't care for his attempts.

"You don't need to apologize, I was just saying." He smiled.

"I really do appreciate things like that, I promise." I said.

"Well, then let me do them. I honestly don't think you could go a whole day, and let me do things for you, without you resisting even a bit." He said.

"How can you be so sure? You've only been talking to me for a few hours." I laughed.

"Just in these few hours, I've deducted that. Like with the chair earlier, I bet you would've tried for a while if I hadn't told you to sit down." He said. I looked at him for a moment before giving in.

"You're right." I smiled, with a small hint of embarrassment, I wasn't sure why. We laughed for a bit longer before we reached my door.

"Well, it was nice to finally learn your name, Lee." I joked as I unlocked my door.

"I — ," Josh was quickly cut off by the dark blob bolting out of my door.

"Sergio!" I called.

"You have a cat?" He asked, confused considering our buildings rules.

"I'm not supposed to!" I said, scrambling after the cat. Josh was quickly behind me, trying to help. Sergio ran back by me, crossing close to Josh.

Josh chased him, it was rather funny. Just when I thought the moment couldn't get any better, Josh fell forward. He had attempted to grab Sergio, only resulting in him tripping himself.

I couldn't help but burst out laughing at him, causing him to give me the dirtiest look, making me laugh more.

"Never helping you get your cat again!" He said, failing to hide his own laughter. I chased Sergio, but then Sergio came to a stop by Josh's legs, pausing to sniff him. Josh quickly took the opportunity, grabbing my cat.

"This was not a good first impression on your cats behalf." Josh said, raising up from the ground.

"He's being weird, he got out last week two, but that was more Frankie's fault to be honest." I smiled, petting the cat Josh was still holding.

"Do you think I have bad luck now? I got tripped by a black cat." He asked, almost seeming to be pondering it.

"You'll probably get hit by a rouge piano tomorrow." I said, causing him to giggle.

We walked back towards my door, both entering since Josh had the cat. He dropped the cat off on my couch as I set down my bags.

"So, was there a certain day you were wanting to hangout with me and Jake?" Josh asked, eager for my answer.

"I'm free tomorrow and Monday." I shrugged, trying to sound slightly flexible, my work schedule not helping.

"If you're down, tomorrow night would be a good night. Usually we go to our hometown, but we can't this week." Josh said.

"That sounds perfect actually, would you like me to cook?" I asked, trying to keep down how much I was smiling. I was so excited, especially about the fact that he actually wanted to hangout with me.

"You could, if not, we're fine with take-out." He shrugged.

"How does chicken-spaghetti sound? It's basic, I know, but it's so good." I said.

"Whatever you make will be lovely." He smiled. "So, I'll see you then?"

"Yup." I smiled, Josh walked towards the door, which I followed to be a good hostess. "Goodbye, Josh."

"Goodbye, Lynna." He smiled, exiting the door. It was so odd, I wanted him to walk back in. I craved his presence back, I wasn't sure what to make of it.

All I knew, was that I was going to count every last second until tomorrow evening.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

19.5K 499 11
Sky is invisible. That never seemed to bother her though, but that is until Jake Kiszka, the only person she wants to be noticed by, starts dating h...
117 0 9
An enigmatic girl at a bar catches the attention of a young guitarist, enticing him simply by existing. In an attempt to get to know her, she gets aw...
303K 6.3K 200
Jess is offered the opportunity of a lifetime to photograph Greta Van Fleet on their upcoming tour but is blindsided by how quickly one can fall in l...
85 5 6
Catch-22: a dilemma or difficult circumstance from which there is no escape because of mutually conflicting or dependent conditions. Even if you kne...