Out Of Focus (Wattys 2023)

By 159jch

A writer and a stuck-up Australian movie star are both running out of chances to break into Hollywood. All th... More

1. Where Dreams Probably Go To Die.
2. Second & Third Impressions.
3. Oliver's Interlude.
4. Good Day Mate.
5. He Just Said That To The New Oprah.
6. The Literal Red Carpet.
7. I'll Keep Dancing (With Or Without You).
8. Ghosts Can't All Be Not Famous.
9. Tinder Dates/Tinderboxes.
10. Jump, Jump (Everybody).
11. I'm Totally Not Laughing.
12. Sooo, About A Lawsuit.
13. Did You Think We Were Gonna Hug It Out?
14. I'll Take Honesty For 200 Alex.
15. Kentucky Fried Wishes & Nightmares.
16. Divine (Cold Brew) Retribution.
17. No, Nopety, Nope.
18. You're Probably Going To Have To Sedate Me.
19. Is Now A Good Time For The Kangaroo?
20. Oli On The Barbie.
21. There's Something Happening In Room 569.
22. I Feel Like I Should Make A Closet Joke.
23. The Prince Is In Another Castle.
24. Definitely Hate To Burst Your Bubble.
25. OK, So This Is Bad But Also Kind Of Good.
26. That's Definitely A Threat.
27. If This Ain't Some Pretty Little Liars S***.
28. Silly Rabbits & Lucky Horseshoes.
30. Six Peas In A Muffin.
31. You're Not Getting Out Of This One, Movie Star.
32. The Totally Not Awkward Flight.
33. Did You At Least Bring Us A Postcard?
34. I Hope You're Wearing Your Big Boy Pants.
35. Happiness Is What Happiness Does.
36. The Second First Date, I Guess?
37. Well, I F***** That Right On Up.
38. Of Course There's A Catch.
FINALE. No Takesies Backsies.
Author's Note: The Thing About Endings.

29. Hey Siri: How Do I Go Into Hiding?

7 2 0
By 159jch

"I'm still not awake enough for this shit, I think I'm gonna have to break into your stash of K-cups for this buddy."

"Don't you fucking dare," Shayne is saying on a three-way call with Max and Lily. It's a call he's been on for the last ten minutes while trying very hard to avoid Oliver. He's still at the park, but the party is winding down. Tents and flags are being taken down, musical guests are loading up their stuff, and the paparazzi are long gone (thank God for that at least).

"You two have the attention span of a singular goldfish," his sister's voice says. "And I want to emphasize the singular part of that sentence."

"Love you too sis but we need a plan," Shayne says, glancing at his surroundings to make sure no one's noticed the bush he's dived into.

He spots Oliver, who seems to be walking around in a half attempt to search for him, but knows he can't go all out without being insanely obvious. He's about as cute at that moment as the golden retriever Shayne spotted while trying to find this spot. He thinks the guy and girl leading him around might be Oliver's friends from how close they're sticking to him, but he wonders why Oliver's never mentioned them. They're far enough away from him to not be obvious friends, but just close enough for Shayne to pick up on.

If only I had this much luck at figuring out who's stalking me, he thinks to himself as he finally starts to listen to Lily and Max's voices again.

"Sorry, can you guys repeat that?" He asks.

"Did you seriously just space out on us while you're in the middle of a crisis?" Lily asks. "I'm losing sleep for this."

"OK, on that I can agree on it going in the not cool category my dude," Max adds.

Shayne rolls his eyes and sighs, sinking further into the bush. "Oh please, you both probably weren't doing much sleeping anyway. I can hear Max's voice echoing, you gotta be in the same room."

There's a long pause.

"Yeah," Lily says, "consider yourself very lucky you're in a different country."

"Considered and thankful," Shayne says. "But I'm very far from lucky. Any ideas?"

He's opening the message thread from the unknown number now, his finger scrolling back up to the pin drop that has got to be a trap by now.

"Well, definitely no more going into the woods to potentially get murdered, that's a no for me," Max says.

It's the one thing they all collectively agree on with a big ol' YEP before moving on.

"OK, so we still have no idea who this could be right? Any more evidence you can drag up before you meet them?" Lily suggests. "As much as I would've loved to see a video of you fist-fighting a contestant going viral, whoever is doing this is smarter than we're giving them credit for."

"I agree," Shayne replies. "To clarify, I agree with needing some more leads, not the fighting. These texts have me ready to press the block button and just go about my business like I never saw them."

"But how do we get the upper hand?" Max asks.

Shayne's mind starts racing, trying to come up with a plan. "What if we stage a fake meet-up? We can create a scenario that will force the blackmailer's hand and reveal themselves."

"A decoy operation, I like it!" Lily exclaims. "But how do we make it believable?"

"We need to make it seem like we're onto them," Shayne explains. "We can send a message, pretending to have evidence that will expose their identity. We'll set up our own meeting point, to put things into our hands, but instead of me going, what if I loop Oliver in and have him go instead?"

Max interrupts, "Wait, Oliver? Are you sure that's a good idea? What if something goes wrong?"

Shayne considers the risks but remains determined. "Oliver is already involved in this mess, whether he knows it or not. If we want to protect him and put an end to this, we need to include him. Plus, he's an actor. He can handle the pressure."

"Alright, but we need to make sure Oliver is safe," Lily insists. "We'll have a backup plan in place, just in case."

They discuss the details of the switcheroo, trying to iron out the logistics. Shayne takes notes on an app,  typing up the plan as it unfolds in their conversation. They decide to send the message to the unknown number, setting up the meeting at a specific location.

"But what if they trap our trap?" Max voices his concerns. " Like a double trap. We need to be prepared for anything."

"I mean, I have an Airtag I can throw on Oliver, we can also have him  Facetime us in, just in case," Shayne suggests. "That way we can monitor everything."

Lily adds, "This sounds risky. I don't know how you can promise him nothing will happen."

"I don't know if I can either," Shayne says, "but if it is one of the girls, they have to be a thousand times less likely to attack or threaten the star of the show right? Blackmailing and threatening me is one thing, but you can't threaten Australia's sweetheart in his own city right?"

As they finalize their plan, Shayne can feel a glimmer of hope, or maybe it's just his body adjusting back from the insane amount of adrenaline it's been pumping out. They have a strategy, and they're taking control.

"Okay, we're all set," Shayne says with newfound determination. "Let's axe this bitch."

Max giggles, realizing the vague pun that has Lily groaning on the other end of the line before they end the call. Shayne takes a deep breath, knowing that the next steps are crucial. He looks around the park, spotting Oliver in the distance,  seemingly engrossed in a deep lecture (or maybe praise) from Penelope. For a woman that's supposed to be protecting Oliver and ensuring his image stays crystal clean as his agent, she sure is doing a terrible job. Shayne realizes that most of it is in fact his fault, but she could at least pick up some of the slack.

Shayne takes out his phone and types the text to the blackmailer, carefully crafting it to sound convincing. He includes the meeting location and sends it off, his heart pounding with anticipation.

"Now take the fucking bait," he whispers.

As he waits, he realizes he's dreading having to tell Oliver anything about his weird behavior the past few hours if the blackmailer takes the bait. Once he knows, really knows, what's being held over both of their heads; he might go to his dark place again. He might pull back even more than they've already had to wrap up the show. How would he react if this got out before it wrapped, especially after standing in that ballroom and convincing all of these people he was being faithful to the process?

But maybe not all of these people, Shayne reminds himself in a thought, not sure if and when he'll ever trust some of them again. With that thought in his head, he finally gets the answer he needs to decide just what exactly he does next.

UNKNOWN NUMBER

Fine. 10 minutes. If you're late, a Tweet is saved in my drafts. So, don't be late.

Shayne reacts to the message with a defiant thumbs-up emoji, before taking a deep breath, wiping the dirt off of his clothes, and standing up to face the music (the music being Oliver).

Shayne's heart races as he locks eyes with Oliver once again. He can't stop himself from taking in the sight of him—his tousled brown hair, the hint of stubble on his jawline, his pouty lips, and those dazzling eyes that always manage to make Shayne's pulse race. He'd burn the whole world down with a lighter for another night in bed with this man, and he knows the look Oliver's giving him before he turns around to continue a conversation with Harper, means the same.

Shaking himself back into focus, Shayne takes a deep breath and musters the courage to head over. He walks, his heart pounding in his chest, and taps Oliver on the shoulder. The confusion in Oliver's eyes is crystal clear, but Shayne doesn't have time for subtlety or secrecy anymore.

"Hey, Oliver," Shayne says, his voice slightly shaky but filled with determination. "Do you have a moment? We need to talk."

Oliver looks around, clearly surprised that Shayne would address him so openly in the middle of the park. He nods and follows Shayne to a game booth that hasn't been taken down yet, providing them with a bit of privacy as Harper is left with her mouth hanging open.

Once they're out of earshot, Shayne takes a deep breath and begins to confess. "Oliver, I've been blackmailed, about our date."

Oliver's eyes widen in surprise and concern. "Blackmailed? What do you mean?"

Shayne quickly explains the situation, detailing the anonymous texts, starting at the very uncomfortable lunch at his house, the very stupid trip through the woods, the big reveal that Chloe was likely behind it all, and the surprise that it clearly isn't her. He also shows him the photo of the threat that hangs over their heads.

"I don't know who's behind all of this," Shayne admits, the vulnerability in his voice betraying the calm and collected front he's trying to put up. "But I can't let them control us. So, me, Max, and Lily came up with a plan."

Oliver listens attentively, his eyes locked on Shayne's face; dead serious.

"We're going to stage a fake meet-up," Shayne continues, explaining their strategy. "I've sent a message pretending to have evidence that will expose the blackmailer. But instead of me going, I want you to go. I'll be nearby keeping a close eye on you, of course, but we don't think someone from the show would expect me to drag you into this. I'm used to doing these kinds of things on my own."

Oliver looks surprised by the request, but he nods slowly. "You want me to be the decoy?"

Shayne reaches out and gently grasps Oliver's hand, his thumb caressing the back of it, not caring at this point if the blackmailer is watching. "I know it's a lot to ask, and I understand if you're hesitant. But you're already involved in this mess, Oliver. We need to protect you too."

Oliver's eyes search Shayne's face for a moment before he squeezes his hand. "I'm in. We'll do this together."

A small smile tugs at the corners of Shayne's lips as relief floods through him. God, he wants to kiss this man again.

They continue to discuss the details of the plan, their voices mingling with a mix of seriousness and humor. Shayne explains the precautions they'll take, and the backup plans in place, and reassures Oliver that he won't let anything happen to him.

As they talk, Shayne realizes just how lucky he is to have someone like Oliver by his side; and how he would be the absolute last person he'd be doing something like this with before the show. Facing problems head-on has seemed to become more of the status quo in his life lately, and Oliver isn't afraid to face it with him. The romantic tension between them simmers beneath the surface, but for now, they focus on the task at hand—taking back the narrative.

"How do you Americans say it?" Oliver finally asks. "Let's get their punk ass.

Shayne smiles back. "Let's get their punk ass indeed."

***

OK, so maybe Shayne hasn't exactly thought the pin drop location through, but at least it's discreet.

It'd be hard for anyone to accidentally stumble upon anybody in this alley, and his view from the fire escape Oliver's helped him climb up is hidden in just enough shadow to lie flat down on with a bird's eye point-of-view. He's thankful Oliver was able to come up with an excuse to sneak away from the crew and his friends. He's also pretty thankful no one's too likely to realize he's gone as well (aside from Penelope maybe, who's going to chew them out for this).

Shayne peeks over the edge of the fire escape, his heart pounding in his chest. Oliver is down there, standing at the designated meeting spot. He's wearing a hoodie they stole from a costumes rack that he's pulled up over his head to hide his identity (they're certain that the second the blackmailer realizes something's wrong, they'll bolt). He looks both vulnerable and determined at the same time, and Shayne's heart swells with a mix of admiration and concern.

He takes a deep breath, feels the weight of the situation, and pulls out his phone. Opening up the FaceTime app, he dials Oliver's number. The screen flickers to life, and Oliver's face appears, his expression a mix of curiosity and apprehension.

"Hey mate," Oliver says, his voice filled with a mixture of nerves and resolve. "I'm good to go."

Shayne smiles, grateful for the technology that allows them to be connected even when they're physically apart. " We're in this together, OK?"

Oliver nods, his eyes locked on Shayne's on the screen. "I trust you, Shayne. Let's do this."

Shayne's heart swells with a mix of relief and affection before his fingers go to add a very wide-awake Max and Lily to the call as well, who he shushes with his finger.

"OK," Shayne says, his voice steady. "Here's what we're going to do. Stay alert, but try to act natural. We don't want to tip them off.  The backup plan is ready to roll if something goes wrong."

Oliver takes a deep breath, steeling himself for what's to come. "Got it. I'm ready."

Shayne keeps a close eye on the scene below, making sure to capture everything on his phone through a simple screen recording.

"Never thought this is how I'd be using a camera again," he says. "So much for the confessional."

They wait. And wait. And wait. What feels like an eternity passes, but there's no sign of the blackmailer. Shayne's anxiety grows with every passing second, his mind racing with doubts and worries.

"I'm starting to think they won't show up," Max says, his voice tinged with frustration.

"Yeah, it's been way past the deadline," Lily adds, sounding equally disappointed.

Shayne's heart sinks. Did they make a mistake? Was their plan too obvious? Doubts gnaw at him, but he can't let them get the best of him.

And then, just as Shayne starts to lose hope, he sees a hooded figure emerging from the far end of the alley. The figure walks slowly, deliberately, their steps calculated. Shayne's heart skips a beat.

As the figure gets closer, Shayne's breath catches in his throat. They pull down their hood, revealing a head of black hair, a handsome face, stubble, and kind eyes. It's Ethan. It can't be Ethan, but it definitely is Ethan. Ethan should be in California. Ethan should still be in limbo waiting for him to text back. Ethan definitely shouldn't be the blackmailer.

"Oh, shit," Shayne mutters under his breath, his eyes widening in shock.

Shayne watches in disbelief as Oliver steps forward, a mix of confusion and curiosity on his face. He hasn't met Ethan before and has no idea about their history.

"Um," Oliver asks, his voice filled with surprise. "Is this supposed to be like a big reveal or something? Should I know you? Did I get a part you wanted or something?"

Ethan's expression hardens as he looks at Oliver, still oblivious to the fact that Shayne is just above them. "You are as dumb as you look on TV, can't imagine what he sees in you."

"Oh shit," Oliver says, clearly making the same realization that Shayne has without having anywhere near the amount of context. "You must be Ethan. Holy shit man, you flew to a different continent and threatened him just because he's ghosting you? Not a good look."

"Oh shut the fuck up," Ethan says. "You think you're so cool and perfect just because you're trending on the internet every other hour. You don't know what it's like to be a normal person, to have real normal person feelings. All your kind knows how to do is use people up until it's inconvenient or embarrassing and then you throw them to the wind."

"My kind?" Oliver says, crossing his arms, a smirk on his face.

"Celebrities," Ethan says, sounding out each syllable like Oliver is a toddler.

"This good boy gone bad monologue could use some work," Oliver says. "I've got about five scripts my agent's sent over that do it better."

Ethan's smiling now, a big smile that looks unrecognizable to Shayne. "And I've got a scandal that would tear your world apart in my fingers. I think I'm doing just fine."

There's a sudden silence, as the smirk is wiped right off of Oliver's face, his eyes going back and forth between Ethan's eyes and the phone he's now pulled out of his pocket.

Oliver takes a step closer to Ethan, his voice steady. "Listen, Ethan, I don't know what you think you have on the US, but this isn't the way to handle it. Threatening me or him or anyone else is not the answer."

Ethan scoffs, a bitter laugh escaping his lips. "Easy for you to say. You have no idea what it feels like to be ignored, to have your heart broken and left hanging."

Oliver's expression softens, sympathy replacing his earlier defiance. "I may not understand exactly what you're going through, but I do know what it feels like to be hurt. And trust me, hurting others won't heal your pain."

Shayne watches his admiration for Oliver growing with every word spoken. Oliver's empathy and ability to see beyond the surface impress him. It's moments like these that remind him why he was drawn to Oliver in the first place.

Ethan's face contorts with anger, his voice laced with bitterness. "You think you're so righteous, don't you? Just another entitled celebrity who thinks they know everything."

Oliver shakes his head, his voice firm. "No, I'm not claiming to be perfect. But I do believe in treating people with respect, especially after meeting him. Threatening Shayne won't make him change his mind about you or make you feel better. It'll only push him further away."

Ethan's eyes narrow, his fists clenching at his sides. "You don't understand anything. You're just as clueless as he is."

Oliver takes a step closer, his voice filled with determination. "Maybe we both have a lot to learn, but that doesn't excuse our actions. We can choose to be better, to find healthier ways to communicate and resolve our problems. It's never too late to change."

Shayne can no longer remain silent. He carefully climbs down the fire escape, making his presence known. "Ethan, I never meant to hurt you. I've been going through a lot, trying to figure things out. But threatening me and involving Oliver is not the way to handle it. We need to talk, and find a way to resolve this peacefully."

Ethan's gaze shifts to Shayne, his anger momentarily fading into confusion. "Talk? After everything you've put me through?"

Shayne takes a step closer, his voice earnest. "Yes, talk. We owe it to each other to have an open and honest conversation. Let's put an end to this."

Oliver, who has been silently observing, speaks up. "I agree. Let's find a way to move forward where no one else gets hurt."

Ethan's expression softens, a flicker of vulnerability crossing his face. "I... I don't know if I'm ready yet. But maybe... maybe we can talk, really talk."

Shayne nods, relief washing over him. "That's all I ask. No more threats, no more games. Just two people trying to understand each other."

Oliver smiles, his eyes filled with hope. "I think that's a step in the right direction. Just delete the picture man, we'll act like none of this happened."

Shayne watches Ethan closely then, hoping against hope that he'll delete the picture and choose to end this peacefully. He holds his breath, the anticipation building, but then Ethan looks back up at Shayne and Oliver with a strange expression on his face.

"I hope he was worth it," Ethan says, his voice dripping with venom.

Before Shayne can process the meaning behind his words, Ethan quickly presses a button on his phone. Panic shoots through Shayne's body as his phone explodes with notifications, not even ten seconds later. He feels his soul nearly leave his body as he sees the photo and comments flooding in, a moment of privacy made unbearably public.

In a split second, Oliver reacts with lightning speed. He tackles Ethan, sending them both crashing to the ground. Shayne snaps out of his shock and rushes forward, grabbing his phone and frantically swiping it off, hoping to stop the flood of notifications.

"Get off me!" Ethan shouts, struggling against Oliver's hold.

Shayne's mind races, trying to comprehend the situation. Their plan has backfired, and now their lives were being laid bare for the world to see. Panic and anger surge through him, but he pushes them aside, focusing on the immediate task at hand.

"Oliver, hold him down!" Shayne commands, his voice filled with urgency. "We need to get out of here!"

Oliver tightens his grip on Ethan, keeping him restrained while Shayne scans the area. They're still in the alley, with no immediate escape route. The sounds of the city surround them, oblivious to the turmoil unfolding in their little corner.

"Shit, shit, shit," Shayne mutters under his breath. He spots a narrow gap between two buildings and points towards it. "There! We can squeeze through there!"

Oliver nods, his face determined. Together, they drag Ethan towards the gap, both of them working to drag him through the tight space. It's uncomfortable and claustrophobic, but they manage to make it through.

Once they emerge on the other side, Shayne's mind races with possibilities. They can't go back to the park or their hotel. They need to find a safe place to regroup and figure out their next move.

"Is there anywhere nearby we can go?" Shayne asks, looking at Oliver.

Oliver thinks for a moment, his brows furrowing. "There's a skate park a few blocks from here that's usually quiet. We can try going there. I'll text my friends Clide and Cameron. They know about the spot too. Maybe they'll know how to help us?"

Shayne nods, feeling a glimmer of hope. "Lead the way."

They walk briskly through the city streets, their heads low, trying to avoid drawing attention. Shayne's mind is a whirlwind of thoughts, anger, and fear. How could this have gone so wrong? He thought they had a chance at resolving things peacefully, but now their lives were in shambles.

Shayne looks at Oliver, who's roughly dragging Ethan by one arm, his voice heavy with regret. "I'm so sorry, Oliver. I never wanted any of this to happen."

Oliver's eyes meet Shayne's, his expression unreadable. "It's not your fault. We'll figure out what this means."

"Thank you," Shayne says, his voice filled with sincerity. "I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Will you two get a fucking room," Ethan mutters, which Shayne responds to with a very unpolite middle finger, any attempt at peace long gone.

As Shayne and Oliver arrive at the skate park, Shayne takes a moment to absorb his surroundings. The park is mostly empty, with a few skaters practicing their tricks in the distance. The air is filled with the sound of wheels rolling across concrete and the occasional cheers from a few friends. It doesn't quite look like the group that would recognize either of them or care really.

Oliver grabs Shayne's attention, pointing towards a couple of people, and the dog he saw in the park, sitting on a bench near the entrance. "Those are my friends, Clide and Cameron. They're good people, and they might be able to help us figure out our next move."

Shayne nods, his gaze fixed on them "Alright, I'll keep an eye on Ethan while you talk to them. But don't take too long."

Oliver gives Shayne a reassuring smile before walking over to Clide and Cameron. They exchange a few words, their gestures animated, before Oliver points back at Shayne and Ethan.

Shayne watches them closely, keeping a firm grip on Ethan's arm, to make sure he doesn't try anything stupid.

"You're hurting me you know," Ethan says.

"Good," Shayne replies.

"Geez, what would Lily think?" Ethan asks.

Shayne glares back at him. "Lily would be mad that I haven't answered any of the twenty calls she's already made to probably personally chew you out herself."

"Touché," Ethan says.

Minutes tick by as Shayne studies the skate park, his mind still reeling from the recent turn of events, but they have to find a way out of this mess; right? He also can't imagine any of the positive press Oliver's gotten from today will be able to top this; and what in the world are the ladies thinking?

Finally, Oliver returns, a serious expression on his face. He walks up to Shayne, speaking in a low voice. "Cameron suggested something that might help us. It's a little ridiculous, but it might keep us safe a bit while we figure this all out. They're willing to harbor us at their apartment as borderline witness protection."

Shayne's eyebrows shoot up in surprise. "Witness protection? Are we really at that point?"

Oliver sighs, his eyes filled with concern. "Maybe not, but we can't keep running around the city. God help us if we get caught."

Shayne's mind races, considering the idea. It's drastic, but this situation calls for drastic actions.

"Alright," Shayne says, determination in his voice. "If that's what it takes to keep us safe."

Oliver nods, his hand reaching out to squeeze Shayne's free one that's not holding onto Ethan. "We'll get through this, Shayne. Together."

Shayne nods, before letting go of his hand and turning to look towards Ethan. "Well, what are we going to do about him?"

Ethan's eyes widen, he looks borderline mortified.

"Well," Oliver says. "I have a few...colorful ideas."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 86 13
Ian and Julian, BFFs for the longest, end up in a mess after a tipsy make-out session sort- of wild night, which turns their world upside down. Majo...
112K 7.8K 43
Ethan Wright knows what's right and what's wrong. Homosexuality is wrong to him, but then, given the background he's coming (or, more precisely, runn...
2.8M 123K 60
*C O M P L E T E D* "This isn't like that stupid book, Oliver." "What do you mean by that?" "I mean this isn't a love story." - - - - Oliver Green is...
6.4K 693 43
Youngbin Lee has been the target of school bullying for long enough, and it has started to chip away his last bit of confidence. But during a fateful...