Out Of Focus (Wattys 2023)

De 159jch

A writer and a stuck-up Australian movie star are both running out of chances to break into Hollywood. All th... Mais

1. Where Dreams Probably Go To Die.
2. Second & Third Impressions.
3. Oliver's Interlude.
4. Good Day Mate.
5. He Just Said That To The New Oprah.
6. The Literal Red Carpet.
7. I'll Keep Dancing (With Or Without You).
8. Ghosts Can't All Be Not Famous.
9. Tinder Dates/Tinderboxes.
10. Jump, Jump (Everybody).
11. I'm Totally Not Laughing.
12. Sooo, About A Lawsuit.
13. Did You Think We Were Gonna Hug It Out?
14. I'll Take Honesty For 200 Alex.
15. Kentucky Fried Wishes & Nightmares.
16. Divine (Cold Brew) Retribution.
17. No, Nopety, Nope.
18. You're Probably Going To Have To Sedate Me.
19. Is Now A Good Time For The Kangaroo?
20. Oli On The Barbie.
21. There's Something Happening In Room 569.
22. I Feel Like I Should Make A Closet Joke.
23. The Prince Is In Another Castle.
24. Definitely Hate To Burst Your Bubble.
26. That's Definitely A Threat.
27. If This Ain't Some Pretty Little Liars S***.
28. Silly Rabbits & Lucky Horseshoes.
29. Hey Siri: How Do I Go Into Hiding?
30. Six Peas In A Muffin.
31. You're Not Getting Out Of This One, Movie Star.
32. The Totally Not Awkward Flight.
33. Did You At Least Bring Us A Postcard?
34. I Hope You're Wearing Your Big Boy Pants.
35. Happiness Is What Happiness Does.
36. The Second First Date, I Guess?
37. Well, I F***** That Right On Up.
38. Of Course There's A Catch.
FINALE. No Takesies Backsies.
Author's Note: The Thing About Endings.

25. OK, So This Is Bad But Also Kind Of Good.

14 7 8
De 159jch

The Twitter comments are JUST AS BAD (if not worse) as Shayne was expecting:

@RealityFan247: Wait, is Oliver sneaking around with someone behind the scenes? This can't be happening! 😱 #Unfiltered #Scandal

@TVAddict101: Just when I thought this season couldn't get any crazier, now we have Oliver embroiled in a secret affair? Poor ladies if this is true. 😢 #Unfiltered #LoveBomb

@ShipsSailin: OMG, imagine being Sophia, Harper, Chloe, or Liz right now! If the rumor is true, they must be devastated. Sending them all the love and strength. 💔❤️ #Unfiltered #Heartbroken

@RealityWatchdog: Not gonna lie, I'm a bit disappointed if Oliver is playing games behind the scenes. It seemed like he had a real connection with the remaining contestants. 😕 #Unfiltered #Disappointed

@CarLady83: Oliver, Oliver, Oliver... what were you thinking? The drama just keeps getting juicier on #Unfiltered. Can't wait to see how this plays out!

@RealityJunkie22: I can't even keep up with all the twists and turns on this show. Oliver better have some serious explaining to do if this rumor is true! #Unfiltered #CaughtRedHanded

@HopelessRomantic76: I've been rooting for Oliver since day one, but if he's cheatinggggg #OliverIsOverParty

The last hashtag used is trending actually, and Shayne makes a note that Oliver will probably want to curl into a ball and die if (and when) he sees it. He's sliding the phone discretely back into his pocket as Penelope continues her lecture.

"You," Penelope is saying, pointing at Oliver from the chairs she's put them both in her hotel room (the determined crisis room for now). "You promised me you wouldn't be an idiot! That you'd focus on your career and push through."

She's pacing back and forth. Shayne can spot an empty pack of cigarettes on her bedside table that he's sure she's all but blazed through in the past few hours.

When Oliver doesn't say anything, failing to meet her eyes, she turns to Shayne; nearly melting him with them.

"And you promised to be careful even if you were both idiots!"

"Um," Shayne says. "Sorry."

That sends Penelope over a very fragile edge. "No, you'd be sorry if there was proof to indicate you in all of this and not just him. Thankfully, I can do damage control for just him; call in a favor a couple of Aussie paps owe me. If someone had seen you though Mister American? You'd be groveling at my damn feet begging me to put you out of your misery you ungrateful-"

"That's enough Pen," Oliver says, finally breaking the silence while standing up to meet her gaze, a whole head taller.

Shayne has to admit it's a ballsy move just to defend him and makes a mental reminder to write Oliver a cool obit if Penelope kills him (because that's the only thing he'll be writing if he's caught in all of this).

"I'm tired of you holding your connections over me like you're a damn puppet master," Oliver's screaming. "We were friends first, and you treat me like I'm just supposed to be this unfeeling pretty white boy."

Penelope purses her lips, her fingers reaching towards her pocket, but coming up with nothing (Shayne guesses she thought she had more cigarettes).

"OK," she says, crossing her arms in defeat but also eerily determined. "Here's how this is going to go then, friend. We have two options."

She takes a dramatic pause, Oliver and Shayne looking back and forth between themselves as she draws out the suspense.

"Option one, I do nothing. I drop you as a client, this thing gets out, blows up and you take the collateral from there. You'll both likely be pariahs by the end of the week and will never work in Hollywood again."

Both of the men's eyes widen. "Uh, how about that second option?" Shayne asks, his question met with another glare from the older and tired woman.

"You'll both like and hate option two," Penelope says.

"We're listening," Oliver adds, settling back into his seat next to Shayne, reaching over to interlock their fingers.

Shayne is pretty sure this is the boldest fuck you he's witnessed in his life. Whoever this Oliver Henderson is that skated as a kid, takes him to weird diners, texts him at inappropriate times, and gives him kisses that make his heart nearly stop he'll take him.

"OK option two," Penelope says, eying their joined hands. "I've changed my sheets and requested clean ones so I'll leave and guard the floor for a few hours, you two get this out of your system, and then I do damage control while you both stay a very safe distance apart until this show is finished. I'll come up with an excuse to keep Shayne as barely involved in the rest of this as possible, and you focus on convincing these ladies you still actually care."

It's a monologue at this point, and both Shayne and Oliver's mouths fall open in response. Shayne has a lot of questions, but Oliver asks the biggest one.

"Um Pen," Oliver says. "Get it out of our system?"

Penelope sighs. "I don't get paid enough to spell that out for you. You've auditioned for enough of this kind of romance flicks. You know exactly what I mean."

Shayne looks mortified and for the first time since they've gotten to the room, Penelope Suarez smiles like the damned Cheshire Cat.

"I'll be back at midnight," Penelope says. "Please be dressed."

"But what if I wanna go with option one?" Oliver asks.

Before he can say much else or protest, Penelope's out the door, closing it and locking it.

Oliver and Shayne find themselves alone, their hearts pounding in their chests as they face a big question mark. The weight of the situation hangs in the air.

Shayne turns to Oliver, his eyes searching for something, permission maybe, or maybe an answer. "Are we going to do this?" he asks.

Oliver's gaze softens as he cups Shayne's cheek, his thumb gently brushing against his skin. "We have a chance. I'm tired of letting it slip away. So fuck it."

A shiver runs down Shayne's spine at Oliver's touch, his doubts slowly dissolving in the warmth of their shared desire.

"OK," he whispers, his voice barely audible, but filled with a newfound determination.

With a mixture of eagerness and trepidation, they stand, their bodies drawn to each other as if pulled by an invisible force. Their lips meet in a tender kiss, a slow and deliberate exploration of the emotions that have been simmering beneath the surface.

It starts with gentle brushes, their lips tentatively touching, as if testing the waters of their newfound connection. But the sparks ignite, and soon the kiss deepens, their mouths melding together in a passionate dance.

Shayne's fingers find their way to Oliver's hair, tangling in the soft strands as he pulls him closer, craving the taste and touch of the man who's driven him to this absolute insanity. Oliver's arms wrap around Shayne's waist, pulling him tightly against his body (and their bodies make it obvious they NEED not WANT this).

Their lips part, and they both gasp for air, their eyes locked in an unspoken agreement.

I guess we're doing this then, they say.

They shed their morals and guilt, clothes falling to the floor like discarded worries, leaving them exposed and vulnerable, yet utterly alive.

In the quiet darkness of the hotel room, they explore each other's bodies, mapping out the contours of pleasure and vulnerability. Every kiss, every touch, carries something; more likely an escape from the fake reality they've both been forced to swallow.

As they explore each other's bodies, Shayne's fingers trace the lines of Oliver's sculpted chest, marveling at the firm muscles beneath his touch. He lets out a playful chuckle, his voice laced with affection.

"You know, I could get used to seeing this secret six-pack hidden under those shirts of yours, multiple times a week."

Oliver's laughter fills the room, a melodic sound that intertwines with the intoxicating atmosphere. "And here I thought you were only interested in my charming personality," he replies a hint of playfulness in his voice.

Shayne smirks, trailing his fingertips along Oliver's defined abs. "Oh, I appreciate the whole package, trust me. But your body is a work of art."

Oliver's cheeks flush, a mixture of embarrassment and delight. "Flattery will get you everywhere," he responds, his voice tinged with a mix of gratitude and desire.

As their bodies move in sync, their conversation becomes a delightful mix of sweet whispers and playful banter. They share stories, hopes, and dreams between stolen kisses on the clean bed.

At one point, as their laughter subsides, Oliver's voice fills the room with gentle sincerity. "Shayne, are you sure about this? We can stop if you want."

Shayne shakes his head, a soft smile gracing his lips. "No, Oliver. I don't want to stop. Not now, not ever. I've been waiting for this moment for far too long since I saw a glimpse of the real you in the garden if I'm honest."

Oliver's eyes sparkle with affection and understanding. "Then let's keep going," he whispers, his voice filled with determination and a touch of vulnerability.

With renewed passion and a shared sense of adventure, they continue their exploration, their bodies moving together in a beautiful symphony of pleasure, connection, and white-hot bliss.

Time fades away as they lose themselves in each other, their laughter and moans filling the space. It's there Shayne realizes you really can have it all, and you can have it again and again and again. All you have to do is ask.

"More," he says.

***
"Ladies, I know you've probably seen the rumors circulating online," Penelope's voice is saying with empathy Shayne's pretty sure he's never heard before. "I want you to know that we take these allegations seriously, and we are investigating where in the world they came from. Your emotional well-being is our priority, and we're here to support you."

Production has gotten everyone together in a sealed-off ballroom typically reserved for parties on the main floor. The ladies are all sitting in chairs at the center of the room with Oliver sitting across from them. The rest of the production crew, Shayne and Lisa included, are pressed back against the walls; watching it all play out.

It's 12:30 a.m. but you definitely couldn't tell from looking at everyone. Everyone looks like they're riding adrenaline highs (which Shayne is very thankful for considering what he's been up to tonight).

"I just hope they don't shut us down," Lisa is whispering into his ear. "It's the last thing I need. I haven't seen my kids in weeks."

Shayne feels a pang of guilt in his chest, knowing that he's just as much to blame for being here as the guy who just took his body to a new plane of existence.

"We'll be fine," he says. "If anyone can defuse this it's Penelope."

Sophia, with tears in her eyes, is the first of the ladies to speak up first. "This is heartbreaking. I thought you were different," she's looking at Oliver while she speaks. "I don't know how to process this."

Oliver states back at them all silently, obviously not taking this well at all.

Harper, her voice filled with uncertainty, adding, "It's hard not to feel hurt and betrayed. We put our trust in you, and now it feels like we're being played."

Chloe is harder to read as she responds, "I don't want to believe it, but the evidence seems overwhelming. I just hope you have some answers for us."

Liz, her voice steady but her eyes revealing her inner turmoil, says, "Just tell us it's not true? It's the least you could do."

"It's not true," Oliver's voice says, lying so effortlessly that even Shayne believes him; and he kind of hates himself for it.

This situation is nuclear, and can't get out, but to know that the guy he's falling for has hurt this group of women he's gotten to know isn't an easy pill to swallow either.

"Pen figured these kinds of rumors would start circulating closer to the end of the show to stir the pot," Oliver continues, his script perfectly rehearsed. "Some of our show's competitors are jealous about how much more authentic we are and how we're stealing their ratings so effortlessly. But it's not just about the ratings to me, it's about building something real."

Oliver's still looking towards the ladies, but Shayne can swear he's looking through them and right at him. This shouldn't be how it has to happen. They should be able to both run to each other, admit that things have gone too far, and run off into the sunset. Unfortunately, it's just not that easy anymore (not that it was any easier before).

"We want to believe you," Chloe says. "But I think we all need a bit of space tomorrow."

The other ladies nod their heads in agreement.

"Fuck," Lisa says with a low groan. "So much for the Opera House date."

There's a moment of silence before much else is said, but Shayne knows he and Penelope likely prepared for all of the possible scenarios after he left her room to get changed.

"I completely understand ladies," Oliver says. "I hate to think that people are putting your faith in me into question. Even if we don't go out I'd still like to make it up to you all."

Oliver looks back and forth between them all, clearly searching for any signs of hope.

"There's a private atrium just down the hall," Oliver says. "In the morning I'd love to take some one-on-one time with each of you to talk things through and see where your heads are at. I know this situation isn't ideal, but I wouldn't want any of you to continue if you aren't comfortable."

The other ladies all stare back at him before all of them nod, get up out of their chairs, and start walking toward the door.

"Ladies we'll have envelopes with times slid under your doors!" Lisa is yelling. "Please try to get some rest."

With that, they're gone, leaving Penelope and Oliver in the middle of the room; and the rest of the crew circling them. Looking around, Shayne can tell everyone likely has questions they aren't asking; but are trying to restrain themselves. He imagines, like Lisa, everyone is pretty concerned about losing their jobs. Shayne wonders why he's not, not concerned at all. (Lily and Max are going to kill him.)

Oliver clears his throat as he stands up and makes a half-step around Penelope to address the crew. Shayne can tell he's trying very hard not to look at him as he opens his mouth to speak.

"I appreciate everyone's understanding," Oliver begins, his voice filled with a strained calmness that betrays the turmoil Shayne knows must be happening inside of him. "These allegations are baseless and we are working tirelessly to find out where they came from. You are not just my crew, you are my friends. Your support means the world to me."

He swallows hard, and Shayne can see the tension in his jaw. He's keeping up an appearance for the crew, but it's clear he's shaken. It's then Shayne realizes that Oliver isn't just fighting for his reputation, but for the jobs of all the people around him who have believed in him, worked with him, and cared about him.

"And for the record," Oliver continues, "None of this would have been possible without each and every one of you. I'll do my best to set things right. I'm sorry for the position this has put you all in."

The room is silent as Oliver's words hang in the air, heavy with it. Shayne can't help but admire the courage he's showing, even if it hurts to see him dealing with it alone, truly alone.

Lisa breaks the silence first. "We're all in this together, Oliver. We trust you," she says, her voice echoing the sentiment Shayne sees on the faces of the rest of the crew.

The affirmation seems to help Oliver, who nods and offers them a weak smile before finally allowing his eyes to rest on Shayne. Their eyes meet, and for a moment, it feels like they're the only ones in the room. Oliver's look is full of unspoken words, but mostly apologies for what they both know has to happen now. They're right back where they started, but what they just did, now makes it a thousand times more painful.

"I'll see you all in the morning," Oliver finally says.

As everyone starts to disperse, Shayne can't help but linger, watching as Oliver is surrounded by Penelope and a few others. He wants to go to him, to offer comfort and assurances, but he knows that's not possible, not now.

Shayne walks out with the rest of the crew, leaving the grand ballroom behind him. He knows there will be sleepless nights ahead, questioning glances, and unending whispers. He also knows that Oliver needs him, in a way neither of them will be able to escape now. He wants to fight this, to screw the distance he's been told to keep and kiss him without caring about the consequences.

"You coming, Shayne?" It's Lisa's voice that startles him. "You look like you could use some rest."

Shayne sighs, his eyes searching for literally anything else to play off what he's been lost in thought about.

"Actually," Shayne says, his eyes turning to meet her frazzled ones. "I could use a late-night cup of coffee if you feel like getting out of here."

Lisa reaches out, a motherly tenderness he hasn't felt in years, as she loops her arm through his.

"I would love that," she says. "But the paparazzi are crowding the entrance. Think we can get by and keep our heads down? If I remember correctly, you did get an interview mister production assistant to slash future writer hotshot."

Shayne laughs as they make their way into the hall, the doors of the ballroom slamming shut behind them. "I'm sure we can hold them off. I've been practicing my 'no comment' look."

Shayne and Lisa navigate their way through the bustling hallway, trying their best to blend in and avoid the prying eyes of guests that have whispers of their own. They keep their heads down, shoulders hunched, as they make their way toward the nearest exit.

As they reach the hotel's side entrance, Shayne steals a glance back at the closed doors of the ballroom, his mind still lingering on Oliver. He wonders how he's holding up, alone in the aftermath of the storm they've stirred. A pang of guilt washes over him, but he knows they have to tread carefully for now.

Outside, the cool Sydney night air provides a much-needed distraction. It's cooled down since he and Oliver's trip out earlier in the night, and he can't help but wonder if even mother nature is disappointed in them. Lisa leads the way, her experience with evading paparazzi evident in her confident stride past a tiny group without so much as a glance.

They walk in silence for a while, the weight of the situation hanging heavy between them. Shayne can't help but feel a mix of gratitude and guilt towards Lisa. She's taken him under her wing, offering support and guidance even when she's had her shit going on outside of this mess.

Finally, they find a quiet café tucked away in a side street. They slip inside, grateful for the anonymity it provides (and the overnight hours). The café is dimly lit, with cozy booths and the scent of freshly brewed coffee wafting through the air.

They settle into a booth, and a friendly waitress comes to take their order. Shayne opts for a strong black coffee, hoping it will help clear his mind and chase away the tangled thoughts that have been consuming him.

Lisa leans back in her seat, her eyes weary but filled with determination. "You know, Shayne, I've been in this industry for a long time," she says, her voice tinged with a touch of nostalgia. "I've seen my fair share of scandals, rumors, and controversies. It comes with the territory."

Shayne nods, taking a sip of his coffee. "I can't imagine how you've managed to navigate it all," he admits, his voice filled with genuine admiration.

Lisa smiles a hint of sadness in her eyes. "It's not easy, that's for sure. But you learn to develop a thick skin, to compartmentalize, and to focus on what truly matters. And right now, what matters is supporting Oliver and helping him navigate this storm."

Shayne leans forward, his gaze locked with Lisa's. "I just wish I could do more," he says, his voice laced with frustration. He knows he has to leave it there, knows he can't tell her much more without risk.

Lisa reaches across the table, placing a comforting hand on Shayne's. "I understand, Shayne. But you've been around him enough by now. Oliver is strong and a sharper cookie than he looks. He'll find his way through this, for all of our sakes."

Shayne takes a deep breath, knowing he wants her to be right, knowing that she has to be right. He has to trust himself to stay far away from Oliver, and he also has to trust Oliver to fix their mess without interfering. It's odd to put his career in someone else's hands and can't help but understand now why I contract was even on the table in the first place.

***

It's about an hour later when they start their short trek back to the hotel, its lights beckoning them back, but also still very obviously surrounded by camera flashes and news crews.

As they walk down a quiet street, Shayne is the first to break the silence, tossing his empty to-go cup into a trash can. "Lisa, can I ask you something personal?" he says, his voice tentative.

Lisa glances at him, her eyes filled with kindness. "Of course. What's on your mind?"

Shayne takes a deep breath, his words hesitant. "You mentioned earlier that you haven't seen your kids in weeks. How do you manage to balance your career and family? I can't help but feel guilty for being here and not being able to be there for the people I care about."

His words are Oliver-coded, but he knows she'll never know the true intent behind them.

Lisa's expression softens, and she slows her pace, giving Shayne her full attention. "Oh, Shayne, I understand how you're feeling. Balancing a demanding career and personal relationships is never easy. It's something I've struggled with for years."

She pauses, a hint of sadness touching her eyes. "I have two kids, a boy, and a girl. They mean the world to me, but there have been times when my career almost wrecked my marriage. My husband, he's a chef, and he's never understood why I'm so passionate about working in production."

Shayne listens intently, sensing the weight of her words. He realizes that Lisa has experienced her fair share of sacrifices and challenges in pursuit of her dreams.

"But you know what?" Lisa continues, a touch of determination in her voice. "I've learned that it's okay to chase your passions and have a career that fulfills you. You shouldn't have to give one or the other up. It's OK to be selfish."

She glances at Shayne, a gentle smile tugging at her lips. "The key is communication and finding support from those who understand your dreams. It's not always easy, but when you surround yourself with people who believe in you, who understand your ambitions, it makes the journey a little less lonely."

Shayne takes in her words. "Thank you," he says sincerely. "I needed to hear that. Sometimes it feels like I'm torn between two worlds."

Lisa places a hand on his arm, her touch warm and reassuring. "You're not alone."

A small smile tugs at Shayne's lips, gratitude filling his heart. They continue their walk, the weight on Shayne's shoulders feeling a little lighter; until his phone vibrates in his pocket. He lifts it out carefully, making sure Lisa doesn't spot the screen. It's an unread message—an unread message from Oliver.

Shayne opens it immediately, the words on the screen so simple, yet filled with longing. There's also a picture of the keychain he gave Oliver attached to it.

BUTTHEAD KANGAROO

I wish I could see you. I'm sorry.

He remembers the advice Emily, one of the first few contestants to go, gave him what feels like a lifetime ago, at that moment: fame has a price.

Continue lendo

Você também vai gostar

FLEEING AND FEELING De H E R

Ficção Adolescente

1K 86 13
Ian and Julian, BFFs for the longest, end up in a mess after a tipsy make-out session sort- of wild night, which turns their world upside down. Majo...
793K 26.9K 67
Zach is your typical nerd. loves to read, loves to draw, loves to bake, and decorate cakes in his family bakery. and of course, gay. Brian is your ty...
6.4K 692 42
Youngbin Lee has been the target of school bullying for long enough, and it has started to chip away his last bit of confidence. But during a fateful...
4.3K 175 19
Logan had a hard weekend in Australia and his team only made it worse, when they told him he needed more online presence - nedded to ake a brand out...