Out Of Focus (Wattys 2023)

By 159jch

A writer and a stuck-up Australian movie star are both running out of chances to break into Hollywood. All th... More

1. Where Dreams Probably Go To Die.
2. Second & Third Impressions.
3. Oliver's Interlude.
4. Good Day Mate.
5. He Just Said That To The New Oprah.
6. The Literal Red Carpet.
7. I'll Keep Dancing (With Or Without You).
8. Ghosts Can't All Be Not Famous.
9. Tinder Dates/Tinderboxes.
10. Jump, Jump (Everybody).
11. I'm Totally Not Laughing.
12. Sooo, About A Lawsuit.
13. Did You Think We Were Gonna Hug It Out?
14. I'll Take Honesty For 200 Alex.
15. Kentucky Fried Wishes & Nightmares.
16. Divine (Cold Brew) Retribution.
17. No, Nopety, Nope.
18. You're Probably Going To Have To Sedate Me.
19. Is Now A Good Time For The Kangaroo?
20. Oli On The Barbie.
22. I Feel Like I Should Make A Closet Joke.
23. The Prince Is In Another Castle.
24. Definitely Hate To Burst Your Bubble.
25. OK, So This Is Bad But Also Kind Of Good.
26. That's Definitely A Threat.
27. If This Ain't Some Pretty Little Liars S***.
28. Silly Rabbits & Lucky Horseshoes.
29. Hey Siri: How Do I Go Into Hiding?
30. Six Peas In A Muffin.
31. You're Not Getting Out Of This One, Movie Star.
32. The Totally Not Awkward Flight.
33. Did You At Least Bring Us A Postcard?
34. I Hope You're Wearing Your Big Boy Pants.
35. Happiness Is What Happiness Does.
36. The Second First Date, I Guess?
37. Well, I F***** That Right On Up.
38. Of Course There's A Catch.
FINALE. No Takesies Backsies.
Author's Note: The Thing About Endings.

21. There's Something Happening In Room 569.

19 7 3
By 159jch

"I'm kind of doing something stupid I definitely shouldn't be doing, and will regret in the morning. I need you to talk me out of it."

They're words coming out of Shayne's mouth over the phone to Lily (thank God for international plans to rant to your sibling) as he's shoving his toothbrush into his mouth.

It's the same night of the solo date he was forced to chaperone AGAIN, and as glad as he is that it's over, he can't shake the image of a VERY shirtless Australian out of his head.

"What happened to me telling you to stay focused? Do you even listen to the words that come out of my mouth? Wait, I'll answer that question for you, a BIG nope," Lily says.

Shayne spits a bit of toothpaste into the sink and rinses out his mouth.

"This man was practically teasing me," he says.

"Shayne it's like nine million degrees outside there and the man was practically dressed to the nines, if what I've seen on Twitter has anything to show for it. I'm sure he wasn't teasing you. He was just hot."

"You don't get it he is hot," Shayne says.

There's a moment of silence on the line.

"You're a plague," Lily finally says. "But I'm here to talk you out of your stupid idea whenever you're ready to share."

Shayne takes a deep breath. "So, it involves me embarrassing myself at his hotel room door that's probably guarded with UFC fighters or something."

Lily sighs notably from nearly 7,500 miles away. "Go on, I'm listening. And dear God please tell me it doesn't awkwardly involve making fun of the contract he wanted you to sign to force you both into discretion just for looking at each other with fuck eyes."

"No," Shayne says. "But now that you've mentioned that again, maybe I should just drop it."

Lily gasps. "Oh no, no, no. I'm paying international prices to listen to this. You're telling me what this plan of yours is, and then I can decide if and how I'm talking you out of it."

Shayne wonders whose side his sister is on because it surely can't be his. She's just getting off on his pain and suffering (which I mean he also did today, but it was different right?)

Shayne paces back and forth in his hotel room, phone pressed to his ear, as he contemplates how to explain his ridiculous plan to Lily.

"Okay, hear me out," Shayne begins, his voice laced with a mixture of excitement and hesitation. "I was thinking of leaving him a note, like a funny one, with some cheesy pickup line or something. You know, just to break the ice and show him that I'm still interested."

Lily lets out a laugh on the other end of the line. "Oh, this should be good. So, you're planning to win him over with your wit and charm? You could just send him the five billionth text if that's the case."

Shayne rolls his eyes, even though his sister can't see him. "Ouch! But it doesn't stop there. I also thought about leaving a small gift with the note. Something to make him smile."

"A gift? Please don't tell me you're planning on serenading him with a ukulele or sending him a singing telegram," Lily jokes.

Shayne groans. "No, nothing that extreme. Just something simple, like a funny keychain or a cute little toy. Something to make him laugh."

Lily's voice takes on a more serious tone. "Shayne, look, I get that you have feelings for this guy, but you need to be careful. This plan of yours might seem harmless, but it could backfire in so many ways. Remember, he's a public figure, like hot shot paparazzi stalking a public figure, and you're both in the middle of a borderline romantic minefield."

Shayne's shoulders sag as he absorbs his sister's words. "I know, Lily. It's just... I can't help but feel this connection with him. And I'm torn between it, whatever the hell is going on with Ethan, and the consequences of ignoring it again."

There's a moment of silence before Lily speaks again, her voice filled with compassion. "Shayne, I understand that this is complicated, and I won't pretend to have all the answers. I just want you to know there's a cost, there's a fallout and it could ruin your life."

Shayne lets out a sigh. "You're right, as always. Maybe we should just keep this friendly flirty friendship going instead. I can't pull off a rom-com big gesture."

Lily's voice softens. "That sounds like a much wiser approach. And who knows? Maybe friendship will lead to something more. Just take it one step at a time and be true to yourself."

Shayne smiles, grateful for his sister's advice. "Thanks, Lily. I appreciate your support, even when I come up with crazy ideas."

Lily chuckles. "That's what siblings are for, right? To keep each other grounded and remind each other that we're both a little bit insane."

Shayne laughs, feeling a sense of relief wash over him. "Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm glad I have you in my corner."

With their conversation winding down, Shayne hangs up the phone and sits down on the edge of the bed. The thing is, as much as he hates to admit it, he's going to do it anyway. He's already snuck off to by a kangaroo keychain when everyone was distracted at dinner and the note is already folded in half at his bedroom table.

He doesn't know why he expected Lily to be able to talk him out of it, or why he let her think she did, but it was nice to have the objectively right thing to do.

"I'm such an idiot," he says while shoving both items into a tiny bag and throwing a sweatshirt over his head. This is a bad idea, the pinnacle of bad ideas; and yet here he is definitely about to just ignore it all.

"Room 569 here I come," he says to himself.

Shayne takes a deep breath and glances at his reflection in the mirror. "Okay, Shayne, you can do this. Just a quick drop-off at his door, no big deal."

With his heart racing, Shayne leaves his hotel room and navigates the corridors with stealth, careful to avoid any security personnel. He can't help but feel a surge of adrenaline, knowing that he's taking a risk by sneaking around like this. It's exhilarating and terrifying all at once.

As he reaches the door of Room 569, Shayne's hand trembles slightly as he takes out the keychain and the note from his bag. He glances around nervously, making sure no one is watching, before he quickly places the items outside the door. He breathes a sigh of relief, thinking he's gotten away with his little escapade.

But just as he's about to turn and leave, the door swings open, revealing a shirtless Oliver standing there, a surprised expression on his face. Shayne's eyes widen, and he feels his cheeks flush with embarrassment.

"Oh, uh, hi there," Shayne stammers, trying to play it cool despite his heart pounding in his chest. "I, uh, just thought I'd leave something for you. It's, uh, nothing."

Oliver looks down at the keychain and the note, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips. He raises an eyebrow, amusement dancing in his eyes. "Well, this is quite the surprise. Should I be flattered by your sneaky delivery?"

Shayne's face turns a shade redder as he struggles to come up with a witty response. "Oh. I thought I'd give you a taste of my secret agent skills. You know, just to keep things interesting."

Oliver chuckles, his laughter filling the hallway. "I must say, you've certainly succeeded in that, quite charming actually."

Shayne's heart skips a beat at Oliver's words. "Charming, huh? Well, I'm glad it had the desired effect. I figured a little humor goes a long way in breaking the ice on the rollercoaster we seem to be on."

Oliver leans against the doorframe, his gaze fixed on Shayne. "Well, consider the ice thoroughly shattered. So, what's the story behind the keychain?"

Shayne shrugs, trying to maintain an air of nonchalance. "Oh, just a little something I stumbled upon. Thought it suited your personality. I'm all about spreading the joy, or the joey, in this case, you know?"

Oliver's smile widens, and he takes a step closer to Shayne, their eyes locked in a playful exchange. "Well, consider me thoroughly joyful then. And to think, all this from a sneaky late-night delivery."

Shayne's heart flutters at the closeness between them, and he can't help but let his guard down a little. "I'm glad you appreciated it. It's all part of my master plan to make you smile."

Oliver chuckles softly, his eyes sparkling. "Well, Shayne, I have to say, your master plan seems to be working quite well. Especially after that barbecue date, loved the place, but if these women keep bearing their souls to me I'm going to need a straight jacket."

He directs Shayne to come into his room, picking up the keychain and note as he does so.

"As opposed to a non-straight jacket?" Shayne asks.

"That joke was inappropriate Mate," Oliver says, closing the door behind them.

"Oh you know you're laughing a little bit," Shayne adds, before taking in the view.

Oliver's room isn't much of a room at all really, it's a suite (only the best for the show's leading man right)?

The suite is spacious, with floor-to-ceiling windows that offer a breathtaking view of the city skyline. The decor is modern and elegant, with a touch of Australian charm. A plush sofa and armchairs are arranged around a sleek coffee table, creating a cozy seating area. A large flat-screen TV hangs on the wall, inviting them to relax and unwind.

Shayne can't help but let out a low whistle as he takes in the luxurious surroundings. "Wow, Oliver, this place is incredible. You're living the high life, aren't you?"

Oliver chuckles and runs a hand through his tousled hair. "Well, the perks of being on a successful TV show, I suppose. But enough about that. I want to know what you think of Sydney so far. Are you enjoying your time here?"

Shayne's gaze shifts from the magnificent view to Oliver's face, a warm smile forming on his lips. "Sydney is amazing, truly. The energy, the sights, the people—it's all so vibrant."

Oliver's cheeks flush slightly, and he clears his throat, trying to regain his composure, obviously distracted by something. "I'm glad to hear that. There are so many places I want to show you while you're here. The beaches, the Opera House, the hidden gems that tourists often overlook. We'll have to plan some outings."

Shayne's smile falters slightly, a hint of disappointment crossing his face. "As much as I'd love that... Can we even be seen alone together here? Seems more like a prison outing than an actual vacation."

Oliver's expression turns serious, and he nods. "You're right, I forget how screwed up my life is sometimes when it comes to actual choices."

"Maybe we can plan a tiny group outing with production without the contestants," Shayne suggests. "I've been dying to see some actual kangaroos."

Oliver chuckles but still looks a little sad as he makes his way over to the couch and plops down, the muscles in his chest tightening.

Shayne follows him slowly, taking a seat on the furthest edge of the couch to avoid any surprises while Oliver holds his gifts in his hands.

"I remember before fame when someone could give me stuff like this and I wouldn't even have to bat an eye," Oliver says. "I could put it in my room or on a table, or my keys, and no one would say a word. Now everything I do, everything I say everything I feel-"

He pauses for a beat, his eyes locking with Shayne's.

"It's all scrutinized like my life's a cheap script for everyone to revise and critique," he finishes.

Shayne stares back at him, he's not sure what exactly to say if there's a right thing to say. He's worried about putting his foot in his mouth again when it comes to Oliver's problems, and he knows he'll never exactly understand them.

"I told you I wanted to be a writer right?" He finally asks the flustered shirtless man, who seems to get out of his head for a moment.

"I don't think so," Oliver says. "If I'm being honest, there's a lot about you I still don't know; but I'd like to. It's just hard to get to know anyone real when you have five billion cameras shoved in your face."

Shayne nods. "It's why I moved to Hollywood, cut my teeth, and chase my big dream. I got inspired by the big Cameron movies growing up, icebergs, and blue people. The guy has balls, big balls."

Oliver frowns. "Dreams aren't everything mate. There's always a cost. Take it from a guy who has his."

"My point," Shayne says. "Is that it's never too late to pick up your balls and write your own story; who gives a damn what people think?"

Oliver tilts his head. "This isn't a movie or show Shayne. I have real-life obligations that could sink my career. Hollywood doesn't like the bad boy gone good gone bad again. There's already too many black sheep."

Shayne sighs, annoyed that Oliver is missing his point.

"Just open the note," he says, pointing to the piece of paper Oliver has placed on the table.

Oliver raises an eyebrow, curiosity evident in his eyes. He unfolds the note, revealing Shayne's neat handwriting scrawled across the paper. As he reads the words, a hint of a smile forms on his lips.

"'Hey Oliver, I hope this little gift brings a smile to your face. And remember, you have the power to create your own story. Don't let anyone else dictate it. P.S. Watch out for kangaroos, they can be real troublemakers.'"

Oliver's smile widens, his eyes meeting Shayne's. "You know how to make a guy feel special, don't you? This note, the gift... It means a lot to me, Shayne."

Shayne smirks. "I'm glad you liked it. Just wanted to remind you that you're more than the character they see on TV, more than the expectations they have of you. You have the power to break free from those constraints."

Oliver leans back against the couch, a thoughtful expression on his face. "You know, maybe you're right. Maybe it's time I start thinking about my own story, not just the one the public wants to see."

Shayne nods, a sense of hope swelling within him. "I believe in you, Oliver. You have so much potential, both on and off the screen. Don't let anyone or anything hold you back."

Oliver glances over at him. "Thank you, Shayne. Your support means more to me than you'll ever know. And I want you to know that I'm here for you too, in whatever way you need me."

Shayne's cheeks flush. "I appreciate that, Oliver. It means a lot to me."

They sit there in comfortable silence at first, so quiet you could almost hear a pen drop other than their breathing.

The air in the room crackles with anticipation, the unspoken tension between them growing. There's a magnetic pull drawing them closer, inch by inch, on the couch. Time seems to slow down as they move, their eyes locked in a hypnotic dance.

Shayne's heart pounds in his chest, his senses heightened. The desire to feel Oliver's lips against his own becomes almost unbearable. He can see the same yearning mirrored in Oliver's eyes, a silent invitation that begs to be answered.

Without breaking their gaze, Shayne closes the remaining distance between them, his hand reaching out to cup Oliver's cheek. The touch is tender, a gentle caress that sends shivers down both their spines. Oliver leans into the touch, his eyes fluttering closed for a brief moment before reopening to meet Shayne's.

Their lips brush against each other softly, a featherlight connection that sparks a fire within. It's a kiss that speaks of longing and unspoken words. Slowly, their lips mold together, a delicate dance of exploration and tenderness.

But the initial gentleness gives way to an overwhelming surge of passion and desire. The kiss deepens, becoming more fervent and urgent. Their tongues meet, a sensual tango that ignites a wild inferno between them. They taste each other, almost like it's the first time again, savoring the intoxicating flavor of their connection.

As their kiss grows more fervid, their hands begin to roam, eagerly exploring each other's bodies. The buttons on their pants are undone, Shayne's sweatshirt comes over his head, and the room is filled with the sound of their ragged breaths and soft moans. They battle for control with their tongues, a playful struggle that only heightens the intensity of their encounter.

But just as things start to escalate, a knock on the door shatters the momentary bliss. They freeze, their eyes wide with a mixture of surprise and frustration.

"Oliver, we need to talk. Can you open the door?"

It's Chloe's voice, sweet contestant Chloe that's about to ruin their lives (and is also the biggest cock block). Shayne and Oliver exchange a fleeting glance, a mixture of disappointment and understanding passing between them. They quickly straighten their clothes, attempting to regain some semblance of composure.

Oliver clears his throat, his voice betraying a hint of annoyance. "Uh, give me a minute, Chloe. I'll be right there."

Shayne takes a deep breath, his mind racing with a whirlwind of emotions.

"We have some more to talk about," he says.

Oliver nods. "You got that right mate."

With that, Shayne scrambles, hurling himself into a nearby coat closet, half-dressed, and slamming the door shut (he makes a note that the closet is nearly the size of his room which is super depressing).

As Chloe stands outside the door, Oliver takes a deep breath, putting on a composed face. He opens the door and Shayne watches through a crack as he greets Chloe with a polite smile.

"Hey, Chloe. Sorry about that," Oliver says, his voice calm but his mind still reeling from the interrupted moment. "What did you need to discuss?"

Chloe's gaze flicks briefly to Oliver's slightly disheveled appearance, but she quickly regains her professional composure. "I just need to vent," she replies, stepping into the room. "Can I ask you something? Lately, I've been feeling like something is off between us. We haven't been as connected since we arrived in Australia. Is there something on your mind? Something distracting you?"

Shayne can tell Oliver is VERY caught off guard by Chloe's observation. He tries to maintain his composure, appearing to be desperately searching for an explanation that won't blow up his life.

"Oh, uh, no, nothing like that," Oliver stammers, a touch of nervousness creeping into his voice. "Just the usual pressure of the show and everything. It's been a lot to handle, you know?"

Chloe studies him for a moment, her expression unreadable. "I understand the pressure, Oliver, we're all feeling it too."

Oliver nods, his mind racing to find a way to steer the conversation away from his true distractions. "You're right, Chloe. I'll make sure to refocus and give my best. The show comes first."

Chloe's gaze softens, a hint of concern in her eyes. "I'm glad to hear that."

As Chloe continues to talk his ear off, Shayne refocuses his attention on the coffee table where he realizes they both left the note and keychain in plain sight.

While Chloe is engrossed in her explanation, Shayne is trying not to hyperventilate.

In a moment of panic, Shayne decides to take matters into his own hands. The army crawls out of the closet, his heart pounding with every inch he moves closer to the coffee table. He tries to muffle his laughter, knowing that the situation is absurdly comical.

As Shayne reaches the coffee table, he can hear Chloe's voice getting louder. She's just inches away from spotting him. With a surge of adrenaline, Shayne grabs the note and keychain, slipping them into his pocket. He glances up and sees Chloe turning her head in his direction, suspicion evident in her eyes.

Thinking quickly, Oliver distracts Chloe, knowing that Shayne needs a few more seconds to make it back to the closet. "Chloe, have you seen the latest episode of that show you told me about back at our dinner? The one with the doctor whose life is an absolute mess"

Chloe's attention shifts to Oliver, her curiosity piqued. "No, I haven't seen it yet. Was it good?"

Oliver nods enthusiastically, gesturing for Chloe to come closer. "Come on, let me show you. You won't believe the shenanigans. I think there was a kangaroo in this one too that kicked a guy in the balls!"

As Chloe moves closer to Oliver, Shayne hurries back to the closet, sliding inside just in the nick of time. He can't help but let out a muffled chuckle, relieved that he managed to retrieve the incriminating items without getting caught.

Inside the closet, Shayne takes a moment to catch his breath, his heart still racing from the close call. He can hear snippets of Oliver and Chloe's conversation, their voices filled with laughter and curiosity. Shayne's mind races, contemplating what his next move should be.

As the conversation between Oliver and Chloe continues, Shayne realizes that he should probably get comfy it might be a while.

One thing he knows for sure about balls tonight though, his are very blue.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

326K 10.8K 78
Oliver Pierce. Basketball player. Popular. Tall, blonde hair, handsome. Asher Williams. Football player. Popular. Tall, dark hair, handsome. They ha...
After Dark By Z

Teen Fiction

13.9K 483 42
《 This is a BoyxBoy story 》 William Caddel wants to live. Between crushing expectations and the strictness that comes with them that seems like such...
180K 4.7K 40
"Remember this - don't fuck up my life more than you already have, pretty boy. You're gonna regret it." Even while knowing that he felt nothing towar...
8.3M 228K 61
Warning this book is rough. Not edited. We wanted privacy. We wanted a normal relationship with no high expectations. But that's hard when you have...