Out Of Focus (Wattys 2023)

Por 159jch

A writer and a stuck-up Australian movie star are both running out of chances to break into Hollywood. All th... Mais

1. Where Dreams Probably Go To Die.
2. Second & Third Impressions.
3. Oliver's Interlude.
4. Good Day Mate.
5. He Just Said That To The New Oprah.
6. The Literal Red Carpet.
7. I'll Keep Dancing (With Or Without You).
8. Ghosts Can't All Be Not Famous.
9. Tinder Dates/Tinderboxes.
10. Jump, Jump (Everybody).
11. I'm Totally Not Laughing.
12. Sooo, About A Lawsuit.
13. Did You Think We Were Gonna Hug It Out?
14. I'll Take Honesty For 200 Alex.
15. Kentucky Fried Wishes & Nightmares.
17. No, Nopety, Nope.
18. You're Probably Going To Have To Sedate Me.
19. Is Now A Good Time For The Kangaroo?
20. Oli On The Barbie.
21. There's Something Happening In Room 569.
22. I Feel Like I Should Make A Closet Joke.
23. The Prince Is In Another Castle.
24. Definitely Hate To Burst Your Bubble.
25. OK, So This Is Bad But Also Kind Of Good.
26. That's Definitely A Threat.
27. If This Ain't Some Pretty Little Liars S***.
28. Silly Rabbits & Lucky Horseshoes.
29. Hey Siri: How Do I Go Into Hiding?
30. Six Peas In A Muffin.
31. You're Not Getting Out Of This One, Movie Star.
32. The Totally Not Awkward Flight.
33. Did You At Least Bring Us A Postcard?
34. I Hope You're Wearing Your Big Boy Pants.
35. Happiness Is What Happiness Does.
36. The Second First Date, I Guess?
37. Well, I F***** That Right On Up.
38. Of Course There's A Catch.
FINALE. No Takesies Backsies.
Author's Note: The Thing About Endings.

16. Divine (Cold Brew) Retribution.

16 9 23
Por 159jch

"So it's not going to be the best plan, but it'll get the job done, and hey, at least it's not a moody Australian you may or may not have a thing for."

Shayne's rolling his eyes at Max while he combs his hair. Last night had ended about as well as it could given how close he got caught outing himself to his parents (he's not sure how he feels about what led up to it at that just yet).

"You're lucky you and Lily's plans haven't had terrible averages or I totally would have committed seppuku by now," Shayne says.

Max mouths the word "ouch", but Shayne only offers a shrug.

"Listen, Lily's already wrangling your parentals for coffee at the Brew. You'll laugh some more, share some good ol' times, and then rip that band-aid right off."

"What's option two?" Shayne asks.

Max looks puzzled. "We were supposed to have an option two?"

Shayne groans, hurling himself onto the couch and shoving a pillow in his face.

"Why couldn't I have been a lawyer with five kids instead," he grumbles into it.

Max jumps right on top of him, nearly crushing his body with his weight.

"Maybe in another life my friend, but in this one, you have a totally kind of normal writer crisis to figure out. God, are you sure you don't want to write all this down? I still think it's good material."

Shayne shakes his head, momentarily contemplating throwing Max out of the window before he shoves the lanky guy off of him; the latter landing with a THUD on the floor.

"OK," Max says. "I deserved that. Have you talked to Ethan though?"

Shayne shakes his head again, knowing that Ethan is the last thing he should be worried about. He's pretty sure the guy has already texted him about three different apology texts, and he has enough of his shit to deal with.

"What if they try to pull a come to Jesus and send me to conversion therapy?" Shayne asks.

"Aren't you Jewish?" Max asks.

"What? No man, what kind of rock have you been living under?"

Max shrugs, pulling himself to his feet. "One where you're Jewish I guess."

Shayne reminds himself to make a note of just how much of an idiot he is for later.

"On that note," Shayne says, forcing himself to his feet and heading toward the door. "My Catholic ass is off to my own execution!"

Max waves goodbye like a little kid. "Have fun, let them eat cake and all that jazz."

And Shayne notes there probably isn't enough cake (or coffee) in the world to make what's about to happen any less bullshit.

***
Shayne takes a deep breath as he walks towards the Brew. The nerves in his stomach are practically doing jumping jacks, and he can't help but want to abort it all and call it a day.

As he enters the cafe, he spots his family sitting at a table near the window. Lily waves him over, a warning sign in her usually warm eyes. Shayne joins them, taking a seat between Lily across from his parents.

Maribel Bennett is a stay-at-home mom. A third-generation immigrant who met their father while working at a coffee shop back home. She looks a lot like Lily in some way, just older, grey, and slightly shrinking.

Ricardo Bennett is a man all his years, tired under the eyes, with a thick but patchy black beard he's given up on shaving. He has a round face from his mother's cooking and a thin long nose. His black hair is hidden under a hat, and Shayne can't help but remember his balding. He's a farmer through and through; out of his element in this big pond.

Maribel looks at Shayne with a mixture of concern and curiosity. "Shayne, dear, we need to talk. Lily has told us about your... situation."

Shayne braces himself, his heart pounding. He knows he has to address the elephant in the room head-on.

"Mom, Dad, I know this might come as a shock, but I've realized something about myself recently. I'm gay."

Maribel gasps, her hand flying to her mouth, while Ricardo remains calm, his expression unreadable.

"Gay?"

The word hangs from Maribel's lips, a question, a chance for him to take it back if she misheard him. He lets it settle into the ambiance, the hustle and bustle of the coffee shop all but preventing an uncomfortable silence.

"Oh my, I... I didn't expect this," she says. "Why didn't you tell us sooner?

Shayne crosses his arms, his hands searching for a cup of coffee that's not there just yet, Lily's hand squeezing his leg. "I was struggling to come to terms with it myself, Mom. It wasn't an easy realization, and I needed time to understand who I am."

Ricardo interjects, his voice steady and calm. "Shayne, your happiness is what matters to us. We may not have expected this, but we love you. We just don't want you to get swept up in this culture out here. You know there's always a place at home for you."

Shayne's not sure how to take that, there's some acceptance there sure, but also another out; an implication that moving here has made him this way. Maribel looks like she's still in shock.

"I want to be clear that this has ALWAYS been who I am," he says. "Nothing either of you did or will do can change that."

There's a defensiveness in his tone, a dare for them not to push him further. He may not be comfortable, but if he's learned anything in LA it's that he probably never will be.

Maribel looks at Shayne with tears welling up in her eyes. "Shayne, I'm so sorry if it seemed like I'm not accepting you. It's just... it's a lot to process. But I want you to know that I love you, no matter what."

Ricardo reaches across the table, his hand resting on Shayne's. "Son, we may not always understand everything, but we want you to be happy. That's what matters to us. We'll do our best to support you, even if it takes us some time to fully comprehend."

Shayne's shoulders relax, feeling the weight of their love and acceptance. Maybe things won't be smooth sailing from here on out, but knowing that his parents are trying means the world to him.

Lily, ever the mischief-maker, decides to lighten the mood with her wit. "Well, now that we've got that out of the way, can we all agree that Shayne's taste in not dating at all has improved significantly?"

Shayne rolls his eyes, but a small smile tugs at the corners of his lips. "Thanks, Lily. I appreciate your... input."

Maribel's eyes twinkle with amusement, and she leans closer to Shayne. "So, tell us more about this show you're working on, 'Unfiltered,' right? Lily mentioned that the lead actor, Oliver Henderson, is quite the brooding and handsome guy. Have you had a chance to interact with him on set?"

Shayne makes a note to slash his sister's tires later for being Oliver up. His eyebrows shoot up in surprise. He didn't expect his parents to bring up his work, and as happy as it would normally make him for them to show an interest in his dream of writing eventually, his personal life is still a little too tied to the topic of discussion.

Oh, yeah, Oliver's cool, very talented," he says, trying to keep it as low-key as possible.

His parents have already met one guy he might be interested in, the last thing they need to know is that he may be in a love triangle with the most unavailable guy in show business (who's also very mad at him over that same potential love triangle).

Ricardo chimes in, a hint of intrigue in his voice. "I've heard a lot of buzz about this show. They say he's poised to become the next big thing. Quite a serious actor. Have you learned anything from working with him?"

Shayne wonders how short he'll have to be to get them to change the conversation, but does his best to share more; tossing Lily a quick glare.

"Well, he's been keeping me on my toes; and the guy has quite the mouth on him; kind of an asshole," Shayne says.

Lily jumps in with a mischievous grin, obviously getting the fact that he's downplaying. "Shayne REALLY likes working with him when he's not being one though. He thinks he might be a softy deep down."

Shayne shoots Lily a warning look, trying to convey that this conversation is not one he wants to delve into further. But his parents seem intrigued, leaning in with anticipation.

Maribel chuckles. "I'm sensing some romantic tension on set. Hopefully, you aren't leading that poor Ethan on."

Shayne can feel the heat rising to his cheeks, but he tries to maintain his composure. "No, Mom, it's just professional. We have a working relationship, that's all." At least that's what he's telling himself.

Ricardo smirks. "Come on, Shayne, don't be coy."

Shayne's eyes widen in disbelief. "Dad, seriously?"

Lily bursts into laughter, unable to contain herself any longer. "They're your biggest fans, remember? You can't hold out on all of the tea."

Shayne slumps in his seat, feeling a mixture of embarrassment and amusement. "Well, in that case, I'm pleading the fifth."

Maribel raises an eyebrow. "Oh, really now?"

Lily puts her hand in front of her mouth and pretends to zip it, obviously in the loop by now that Shayne will totally fake her death if she says anything else.

Shayne sighs, realizing that his attempt to divert the conversation has only made it worse. He decides to play along, hoping to inject some humor into the situation.

"But if y'all want some tips on how to master Oliver's elimination smolder I got you."

His parents burst into laughter, their earlier tension dissipating into the air. They seem genuinely amused by the playful banter and the lightheartedness of the moment.

Ricardo pats Shayne's hand. "Son, you've always had a great sense of humor. It's one of the things we love about you. Just remember to stay true to yourself, both on and off the screen."

Maribel adds, wiping away a tear of laughter. "And don't worry, Shayne, we won't be calling Oliver's agent to set up a meeting. Your personal life is your own."

Shayne grins, feeling a sense of relief and acceptance wash over him (he can't imagine with his parents and Penelope would be like in the same room). Maybe his parents will never fully understand everything, but at this moment, that doesn't matter. What matters is the love and support they're showing him.

As they continue to chat and share laughs, the cafe's atmosphere suddenly shifts. The noise of the cold brew machine grows louder, followed by a loud sputtering sound. The baristas behind the counter start to panic, rushing around in a frenzy.

Lily's eyes widen, and she quickly stands up. "Oh no, not again! Fuck!"

"Language Lilian," Maribal screams.

"Fudge," Lily replies, practically sprinting over now.

Shayne and his parents exchange puzzled glances, but they can't help but be caught up in the sudden chaos. They join Lily as they rush behind the counter to assess the situation.

The baristas are flustered, trying to figure out how to fix the malfunctioning machine. Lily takes charge, instructing everyone on what needs to be done.

Lily points at Shayne. "Shayne, you're on mop duty! Dad, grab some towels and start wiping down the counter. Mom, can you find a bucket and fill it with water? We need to clean up this mess before it spreads!"

Shayne grabs a mop and begins mopping up the spilled cold brew, cursing under his breath as he does so. His parents, though slightly bewildered, quickly jump into action, grabbing towels and cleaning supplies.

Maribel returns with a bucket of water, and Lily instructs her on where to pour it. As the water mixes with the spilled coffee, it creates a muddy concoction that only adds to the mess.

"Oh God, this is a disaster," Shayne mutters, looking at the coffee-soaked floor.

Lily, always quick with a quip, can't help but make a joke amidst the chaos. "Well, I guess God decided to punish me for keeping your secret. He thought this mess would be a fitting punishment."

Shayne chuckles, shaking his head. "I'm glad I could be a part of your divine retribution."

As they continue cleaning, the customers in the cafe start to notice the commotion. Some are amused, others concerned, but Lily manages to keep the situation light with her infectious energy.

"Attention, everyone! This is just a minor coffee catastrophe. Please bear with us as we clean up the mess. Free muffins for everyone to make up for the inconvenience!"

The customers cheer, grateful for the unexpected treat, and the atmosphere in the cafe shifts from panic to camaraderie. Even Shayne's parents, who had initially been taken aback by the chaos, find themselves laughing along with the others.

After what feels like an eternity of cleaning, the floor is finally spotless, and the cold brew machine has been repaired. The baristas, now exhausted but relieved, take a moment to catch their breath.

Lily claps her hands. "Alright, team! We did it! The Brew is back in business, thanks to our heroic efforts."

Shayne wipes the sweat from his forehead, a sense of accomplishment washing over him. "Who knew cleaning up coffee spills could be so exhilarating?"

Maribel smiles at Shayne, her eyes filled with pride. "You did a great job, dear. You're quite the mop master."

Ricardo nods in agreement. "Yes, I must say, you've saved the day, Shayne. I guess all those years of cleaning up after the cows back home paid off."

Shayne grins, appreciating his parents' lightheartedness. "I suppose all those cow-related chores did come in handy. Who knew?"

Lily claps her hands again, drawing everyone's attention. "Alright, enough celebrating. Let's get back to serving. Shayne, I think you've earned a break. Grab a seat and enjoy a cup of coffee. It's on the house."

Shayne gladly takes a seat, feeling a sense of relief and accomplishment wash over him. As he sips his coffee, he can't help but feel grateful.

Today hasn't exactly been the mess he was expecting, and for some reason, he might actually be OK with it. It might also be OK to take another chance on a potential mess he's been dodging. He pulls out his phone and jots out a text, addressed to Ethan.

Shayne

10:30 A.M.

Thanks for checking in. Can you meet me back at the taco food truck spot? I'd like a chance to apologize.

Shayne waits anxiously for Ethan's response, his heart pounding in his chest. After a few minutes, a message notification pops up on his phone.

Ethan

10:32 A.M.

Sure, I'll meet you there. I could use some breakfast tacos right about now.

Shayne feels a mix of relief and nerves. He quickly finishes his coffee, bids farewell to his family, and heads out of the cafe. The familiar streets of LA greet him as he makes his way toward the taco food truck spot, his mind racing with thoughts of what he wants to say to Ethan.

***

As he arrives at the spot, he spots Ethan standing by the food truck, a slight frown on his face. Shayne takes a deep breath, steeling himself for what's to come, and approaches him.

"Hey Ethan," Shayne says, his voice slightly shaky. "I'm sorry about everything. I've been a mess lately, and I didn't handle things well between us."

Ethan looks at Shayne, his expression guarded. "Yeah, you could say that. It felt like you were avoiding me, especially after last night. I felt like we had such a big breakthrough."

Shayne nods, his gaze fixed on the ground. "I was scared, Ethan. Scared of what I was feeling, scared of the potential consequences. But that's not an excuse for how I treated you."

Ethan's eyes soften a little, his arms crossed over his chest. "Shayne, I understand that you're going through a lot. Coming out and dealing with everything that comes with it is not easy. I just, don't want to feel like I'm on your back burner. I know we said we'd take it day by day, but I feel like I'm getting mixed signals."

Shayne looks up, meeting Ethan's gaze. "I am serious, Ethan. I've been trying to figure things out, and I've realized that there's something here."

Ethan's posture relaxes a bit, and he uncrosses his arms. "I appreciate your honesty. It hasn't been easy for me either."

Shayne reaches out, his hand gently touching Ethan's arm. "I have to tell you something else, that might be a little bit harder to hear; probably the second hardest thing to do today if I'm being honest."

Shayne takes a deep breath, his eyes searching Shayne's. "Oliver Henderson, Oliver, and I... we have something going on, on the set. It was a moment I can't wrap my head around. It's complicated and he's got his demons to face. I just don't know if he thinks something outside of his celebrity bubble can work."

He meets Ethan's eyes again, there's hurt there, but Shayne can tell he's trying to be patient.

"I can't promise that everything is resolved there, which is why I wanted to take things slow," he says.

Ethan's eyes glisten with unshed tears, his voice filled with vulnerability. "Shayne, I don't know what the future holds, but I'm here, right now, if you're ready."

Shayne feels it then, a sinking feeling in his chest that's hard to shake. He thinks he might be trembling actually.

He leans in, his lips softly brushing against Ethan's, a tender and gentle kiss that speaks volumes.

The kiss is filled with hunger and longing, a mix of emotions that have been building up between them. Shayne's lips press against Ethan's, their mouths moving in sync, tasting the sweetness and warmth of the moment.

But as much as Shayne wants to lose himself in this moment, he pulls back slightly, his breath mingling with Ethan's. His voice is filled with a mixture of longing and uncertainty.

"Ethan, I want this, I do. But I'm not ready yet."

Ethan's eyes search Shayne's face, his fingers gently caressing his cheek. "I know. I'll wait for you."

"It's not a fair ask," Shayne whispers. "You're pretty damn incredible for a comedian."

"The jokes hide all of the dark and twisty parts," Ethan says.

They stand there for a moment, wrapped in each other's arms, finding solace and comfort amid their complicated feelings.

As they part ways, Shayne makes a silent promise to himself—to take the time he needs to sort through his emotions, confront his fears, and be true to himself.

He knows that going back to work tomorrow won't be easy, not when his heart is split. He's torn, conflicted, and as far from ready as he can get.

Continuar a ler

Também vai Gostar

Suicide Buddies Por gemma young

Ficção Adolescente

38K 3.6K 53
"My mother once told me there are three, and only three, truly defining moments in your life. One: When you don't know. Two: When you realize you don...
55.5K 1.4K 17
Non-Actress AU Completed as of: 2/1/2023 A short story about a 21 year old boy (you), who's working a regular 9-5 job as a stocker at a local superma...
791K 26.8K 67
Zach is your typical nerd. loves to read, loves to draw, loves to bake, and decorate cakes in his family bakery. and of course, gay. Brian is your ty...
111K 7.8K 43
Ethan Wright knows what's right and what's wrong. Homosexuality is wrong to him, but then, given the background he's coming (or, more precisely, runn...