A Muse Her

By EliBees

Mateo has a terrible, awful crush on Maia Jefferies, the painfully beautiful best-selling novelist who lives... More

A Muse Her - Blurb
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Epilogue

Chapter 36

179 17 0
By EliBees

"I'm sorry about that with Saskia," Mateo said as he and Maia sat on a blanket under a big blooming tree at the edge of the park beyond the market. "I didn't think she'd approach us like that."

"It's okay. We knew they were following us." Maia shrugged as she ate a brownie from the basket of treats they picked up from the market. "But I have to say, she's mighty bold and very beautiful. I can see why you fell for her."

Mateo raised an eyebrow. "Can you?"

"Yes." Maia chuckled. "You definitely have a thing for curvaceous women."

"I do." Mateo grinned, sliding his hand over his hip. "I prefer women I can hold on to."

"Mm, but what I don't get is you knew those other men and women who kept circling around us were ploys to distract you from me," she said, looking away from him as the irritating itch of jealousy snaked its way around her heart. She knew he was promiscuous, but the thought if him wanting someone else without her struck a nerve. "Is that how you were with her? Always looking for someone else?"

"That's how I used to be and I got tired of it. I was never satisfied and I never wanted to get close to anyone or believed I could until I read your books and I met Saskia." Mateo curled his fingers around her chin, turning her face to his. "But I told you, I only saw what I wanted to see in her and I'm not looking for anyone else. I love you, Maia," he said, kissing her softly. "I don't want anyone else in our relationship unless we both agree to it."

Maia slid her hand to his cheek, searching his eyes for anything other than the truth swirling in his brown depths. "Are you sure?"

"Yes. You're all I want, liefje," he said, taking hwr hand and kissing her palm. "Is this what you want?"

"Yes," A smile tugged at her lips as the grip of jealousy released her. "I'm sorry. I think I just got a little unsure for a second."

"There's nothing to apologize for. I think that's what our exes were hoping for," he said, leaning over and pressing a kiss to her forehead. "It's also why I'm always going to check in with you. We're still getting to know each other and I never want you to do anything you don't want just to appease me."

"I know and thank you," she said, pressing her forehead against his. "I love you, mijn prins."

"I love you too," he said, kissing her softly. "Now that we cleared that up, I would love to know what you think of the city so far, mijn prinses? Does it give you the same vibes as Vijverwoud?"

"It doesn't give me the same vibe as the manor," Maia said, leaning away from him and gazed out at the rolling green grass that bled into the sea wall at the edge of the park. There were groups of people enjoying their lunch while inconspicuously snapping a few photos of them as they ate or passed by. "But so far, I like it. The people seem nice enough. I'm sure that's because I'm with you, but it has a lovely feel like Amsterdam."

"That's good, but the people aren't being nice because you're with me," he said, shaking his head. "That has everything to do with how lovely you are."

Maia raised an eyebrow. "You don't give yourself enough credit, sir. It seemed to me like everyone was happy to welcome their prince home."

"Yeah." He laughed. "It's been a long time since the people have received me the way they did today."

"And after what you've been through," she said, threading her fingers through his. "I'm sure it feels good."

"It does," he said, bringing her hand to his lips. "But it feels even better with you here."

Maia was falling in love with Oost den Burg and its people. After they spent the day in the city, Mateo took her out to the countryside where she met a few farmers who lived in the smaller hamlets and villages that supplied the produce, meat and grains for the country. She learned that Oost den Burg was fairly self-sustaining and only imported goods that wouldn't grow in the maritime climate like bananas, mangoes, oranges and lemons.

And when the people greeted them in the small towns beyond the cities, Maia finally got to see the common prince Mateo had been branded as.

He didn't think twice about helping a few farms load hay into their bars or turn the townsfolk down when they invited them for a drink at the country tavern. Not that she expected him to act any differently, but it was comforting to know that Mateo was the same thoughtful and helpful man he was regardless of his title.

Yes, Maia was in love with Mateo, the country and the people except when she was thrust into the clutches of the Women of Endowment. She didn't much care for Oost den Burg's group of high society socialites. The women who paraded themselves as charitable philanthropists – which they were and they did it well – but Maia had trouble following proper etiquette.

She hated leaving half her food on her plate of miniscule offerings. Meeting after fucking meeting to plan the next fundraiser or charity event – which could have been planned and sorted through emails, but left her exhausted by end of the day. She'd barely written a word in the last few days and she was constantly apologizing to Eline for failing to read the tasks she'd given her.

She felt like she hadn't seen Mateo in a week because she was always fast asleep by the time he got home from his day. She didn't even know what he was doing because she was so busy they hadn't even had time to talk.

The only good thing that had come out of these soul-draining engagements with the Women of Endowment was that she'd managed to get closer to Gesina, which proved to be somewhat useful. She told her that Sven had left and gone home, but she hadn't opened up about Jorien's plans or his feelings about Mateo getting involved in royal affairs again.

"Maia, you look more exhausted than me," Gesina said, sliding a hand over her stomach as they toured the rooms of the library set for refurbishing. "You should take the afternoon off. I can handle the rest of this."

"Are you sure? Anna – I mean the Queen seemed like she really wanted us to do this together," Maia said as she jotted down a few notes about the layout of the room. "I don't want her to think I'm not pulling my weight."

"Yeah, it's fine. We've done most of this wing of the library," Gesina said, patting her hand. "I'm used to the demands. You haven't had much of a break since you got here and you need to rest up before Adrie's hen do tomorrow." She nodded, looking over Maia's shoulder. "And it looks like Hendrik's here to pick you up anyway."

Maia turned around and a tired smile tugged at her lips at Mateo striding through the library toward them. "What are you doing here?"

"My meetings finished early so I thought I'd see if I could steal you away," Mateo said, slipping his arm around her waist. "If that's alright with you, Gesina?"

"Oh it's fine. I was just telling Maia she should take the afternoon off," Gesina said, waving them away. "Me and the curators can handle the rest."

"Thank you," Maia said, slipping her notebook in her purse. "I'll send you and the curators my notes on the space later."

"Sure, just enjoy the rest of your day," Gesina said, kissing her cheek. "We'll catch up after the weekend."

"Come on, liefje," Mateo said, guiding her out of the library. "I've got a nice relaxing afternoon prepared for you."

"Oh do you?" she said as they walked down the steps to the waiting black sedan.

"Mm-hm," he said, helping her into the car. "But I'm not happy that I had to hear from Eline that you've been struggling these past few days."

Maia pursed her lips. "What a tattletale. I told her I was fine and you didn't need to be bothered by this. You've been busy too."

"I'm never too busy to be bothered by you." Mateo hooked his fingers under her chin. "And you don't look fine to me. You look exhausted."

Maia's lip trembled as tears pricked the corners of her eyes. "Oh God I am," she said, wrapping her arms around his waist and pressing her face into his chest. "I don't like all of these meetings and I hate eating like a bird again just to fit in with the rest of the ladies in the endowment." She cried. "I'm hungry. I don't know how Eline and Gesina do it."

"It's alright," Mateo cooed, rubbing her back. "I'm sorry I haven't been around much either. I've been too caught up in trying to get Jorien to trust me and I haven't been here for you."

"It's okay." She sighed. "You warned me about this, but I guess I didn't realize how intense this was going to be."

"You have the right to take a step back," he said, massaging the back of her neck. "You haven't had the time to write and these duties my mother has placed on you shouldn't get in the way of that."

"I know, but I wanted to do these things. It's helping our image and I thought I could get information out of Gesina about Jorien's plans," she murmured. "But I've got nothing."

"Don't worry about that," he said, kissing her head. "I've gathered enough information to know what I need to do about Jorien."

"You have?" she said, looking up at him.

"Yes," he said, wiping her tear stained cheeks. "And I'll tell you what I know after I've taken care of you."

"And how are you going to take care of me, lekker ding?"

The grin that curled over his lips sent a tingle down her spine. "First, I'm going to feed you," he said, kissing her softly and trailed his lips along her cheek to her ear. "And then I'm going to take you to my room of desires,' he whispered, sliding his hand over the curve of her ass. "And indulge in you, mijn prinses."

"I'd like that," she said, wrapping her arms around his shoulders and pressing a soft kiss on his neck. "I need that, mijn prins."

A/N:  Interesting to see Maia get a little jealous over Mateo's past. I'm glad they nipped that shit real quick though. I'm also concerned about Maia leaving Gesina to help with the refurbishments...you think Gesina was being genuine about Maia leaving with Mateo? Also, I'm curious about what Mateo has assessed about his brother? I want to know if he's still thinking he can 'make Jorien see the value in love' or whatever. I dunno, personally, I'm not convinced and I don't think Mateo being back for this short time is going to do anything to change his brother. The man has been planning this new vision for at least two years....like come on Mateo.

A Muse Her is now complete on Patreon!!! 🥳🙌🏾 It will be complete here in and around 20th August, but if you don't want to wait, you're more than welcome to join the Little Bees on Patreon and binge it to the end!

As always, thank you so so much for reading!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.9K 2.4K 33
~What if you find your soulmate but he's already dead?~ Charlotte is a last year Psychology student, hating the dorm-life she moves into an apartment...
2.6K 234 15
(Attention: definitely not the story I'm most proud of... wrote this in my free time, wasn't too into detail - at all. I actually don't recommend thi...
21.1K 510 23
As a princess who's sunk a yacht and been caught kissing popstars, Nina doesn't seem ready to ascend the throne. But when she's told to fake date Pri...
395K 12.2K 49
"You are mine now. Just remember one thing nobody gets the privilege of bringing that smile on your face and touching you" he clenched his fsts and m...