The Obsidian Marks ✔️

AriaOfStorms

Hated by her lineage, Iliya Dalaminai dwells in self isolation, awaiting the day her cousin marries so she mi... Еще

| Authors Note |
| Prologue |
| Chapter One |
| Chapter Two |
| Chapter Three |
| Chapter Four |
| Chapter Five |
| Chapter Six |
| Chapter Seven |
| Chapter Eight |
| Chapter Nine |
| Chapter Ten |
| Chapter Eleven |
| Chapter Twelve |
| Chapter Thirteen |
| Chapter Fourteen |
| Chapter Fifteen |
| Chapter Sixteen |
| Chapter Seventeen |
| Chapter Eighteen |
| Chapter Nineteen |
| Chapter Twenty |
| Chapter Twenty One |
| Chapter Twenty Two |
| Chapter Twenty Three |
| Chapter Twenty Four |
| Chapter Twenty Five |
| Chapter Twenty Six |
| Chapter Twenty Seven |
| Chapter Twenty Eight |
| Chapter Twenty Nine |
| Chapter Thirty |
| Chapter Thirty One |
| Chapter Thirty Two |
| Chapter Thirty Three |
| Chapter Thirty Four |
| Chapter Thirty Five |
| Chapter Thirty Six |
| Chapter Thirty Seven |
| Chapter Thirty Eight |
| Chapter Forty |
| Chapter Forty One |
| Chapter Forty Two |
| Chapter Forty Three |
| Chapter Forty Four |
| Chapter Forty Five |
| Chapter Forty Six |
| Chapter Forty Seven |
| Chapter Forty Eight |
| Chapter Forty Nine |
| Chapter Fifty |
| Epilogue |
| Playlist & Achievements |
| Acknowledgements |

| Chapter Thirty Nine |

285 22 39
AriaOfStorms

The City of the Lost was more beautiful than Iliya ever imagined.

Standing on the dock between Azuris and the City, she was overwhelmed by the sharp, jagged slate covering the ground. Two carved paths forked away from one another, one heading into rolling fields of grass while another dipped into a mountainscape of shale.

Ocean slammed against their docked vessel.

The Onyx Sea was known for treacherous weather, rocks becoming pointed weapons ready to destroy even the toughest boats.

Within a world of stone was a wilderness of glistening minerals. From engraved arches to quartz lined walkways, Iliya had never seen so much crystal growing straight from the ground.

Dusk crept in, enhancing the rows of glowing blue and violet gems, golden wisps of light flickering beyond a veil of swirling smoke.

A dangerous and lovely place built to protect each and every soul.

As her party disembarked around her, she couldn't escape the nagging weight of the books stashed in her pack. A gentle fog parted into the sky and offered them enough light to find the entrance into the City.

"We call it Oilá Spiora," Sorein murmured into her ear, scaring her stiff. He chuckled lightly. "Spirit Island."

She hummed her response, offering a nervous smile. Sorein rarely spoke the Azurian language, either using the common tongue shared around the world or Therisi with her. Iliya often wondered how he balanced his love for Azuris with their sacred rituals.

No one knew the full extent of their country's inner workings.

Brushing past her, Sorein stood at the head of the group with foreign rigidity present on his features. She watched The Prince's patient waiting pay off as everyone eventually turned to him.

Iliya stared at the whirling barrier of mist protecting the City from outsiders, honing in on the figures walking through.

From the wafting shapes unfurling around her, she knew even this was an enchantment.

Intention mattered here.

"The City of the Lost is one of the most heavily guarded places on this planet," he said firmly. "Do not chase or engage with spirits, especially those who appear to you as loved ones. There are several creatures within the City who would use this to prey on you."

She stepped out from between Noah and Nixian, noticing a small silhouette standing on the other side of the barrier.

"Once you enter these gates, there will be exactly six hours before the atmosphere begins leaching into your lifeforce," Sorein continued, eyes settling on Elliott. "If you start feeling dizzy or faint for any reason, leave the veil immediately. This shouldn't be a problem, but if it is, I'll know I've warned you."

As he spoke, Iliya found herself lost to the image of a young girl who looked eerily similar to her. The only difference being dark brown hair and darker green eyes. She reached out to touch the wall when a voice snapped her out of it.

Tugging her back by her elbow, Sorein glared down at her. "What did I just say?"

Iliya blinked, the girl disappearing. "I-I'm sorry..."

"Mimics feed off your Mana," he warned her softly. "Don't let your guard down like that."

Becoming acutely aware of his hand still lingering on her arm, Iliya took a step back and looked around. He'd shielded her from the attention of the others, but Noah's focus was drawn away from Ezre's orders.

Iliya shook her head and dragged herself back into reality. Her grandfather was explaining the logistics of their mission within the Temple, Elliott at his side with glazed eyes and crossed arms. As he continued, Nixian's own posture changed, gaze shifting to the corner of his eye and honing on Sorein.

She steadied her shaking core and found her way back to Noah's side – her friend's attention skipping back and forth between her tightened hands and Ezre. Multitasking.

"We'll take an hour to regroup, before making our way into Azuris' capital," Ezre explained, finishing up. "As guests in Sorein's home, I expect nothing but respect."

"How long before we reach the Azuris?" Elliott asked.

Iliya bit her lip to keep from joking about how they were in Azuris already. She didn't feel like fighting with her cousins brother.

"Ten or eleven miles north east," Sorein replied. "Three hours if we make good time."

He appeared less than amused by his lack of geography.

"What happens when we make it to Espova?"

Ezre shot her a glare, but Iliya lifted a brow at Elliott. A cursory glance to his tightened fist was the only external reaction she gleaned.

As the men around her dispersed, Iliya found her way to the docks alone. She leaned against a water logged post, splinters of wood jutting out of the water and found it sturdy enough.

Pulling out the newly obtained book from Nioreir, the one that caught her attention most, with a thick hardcover and one word embroidered on the front.

Ionsia.

Familiar. So familiar on her tongue.

She had scoured her brain for hours and still couldn't place why she recognized it. The word was heavily rooted in Fae language, but the vocabulary was absent.\

The binding opened up to a tattered first page with more initials. D.R. Damien Ravellier. His cursive was fluid and winding around the center line.

The next section turned to a beautifully printed script.

Iliya found trouble within the first few lines, her eyes glued to the page.

"Mana is the essence of all life and with it, immortals hold the ability to both heal and harm the world around them. This fundamental give and take is what balances the universe and provides stability for life and death."

Iliya's mouth went dry as she continued.

"Only when this balance is tampered with can true corruption exist. Someone born with this corruption becomes Ionsilical, imparting them with a gift and a curse."

Vaguely aware of the tears burning her eyes, she took a deep breath. Glancing over her shoulder, she made sure the others were still distracted before returning to the page.

"Able to manipulate the tethers between the living and deceased, an individual with Ionsia can read and alter the emotions and intentions of another, often presenting as extreme empathy. These ties appear as cords of light with the wielder's Mana and can be used in combat when necessary."

Iliya fought the urge to slam the book, blinking back more tears. No.

No.

Not her Raesa.

If it even was her Raesa and not another lie.

"However, when repressed for lengthening periods of time, Ionsilical people will experience outbursts that can lead to natural events and disasters. The curse the bearer suffers is to absorb the Mana around them. To a fault."

Her heart thundered in her chest, pounding into her ribs as if they were a prison.

"This will one day result in death."

Slamming the journal in her lap, Iliya rubbed her hands against her cheeks roughly. Hiding her muffled cries was challenging enough.

"Whatcha reading?" Noah asked, squatting down beside her.

No. No, not now.

She couldn't control her breathing, trying and failing to speak as she rasped out one breath at a time. Iliya shook her head, trembling.

This was impossible.

Everything they had been shielding her from.

All the lies they told her.

Noah put a hand on her shoulder, face contorting with concern. "Illie, what's wrong?"

She shook her head again.

Not here.

Not now.

Even if she could trust him, she didn't even know where to begin. Iliya was certain there was more scrawled in the pages of this book if only she could bring herself to look.

"Distract them," she pleaded, waging war with her lungs. "Please, keep them distracted."

Noah's eyes hardened, his lips pulling into a tight frown. "We're about to leave for Espova," he replied softly. "I wanted to compliment your underhanded jab earlier, but I don't think now's the time."

His joke was an anchor in her storm, another emotion to latch onto.

Iliya huffed a laugh. "I don't like him."

"Me neither," he said. "Now, what's wrong?"

"Not here."

"Alright," Noah agreed, offering her a hand up. "We'll still need to get out of here though."

Iliya took his hand, wobbling as he hoisted her into a walk. He didn't ask questions, didn't demand answers. She admired his kindness and understanding, thinking it was something to strive for in the future.

If she had a future.

They rejoined the group, her quick steps stopping at Sorein's side.

"Are you ready?" he asked.

Iliya forced a smile, concentrating on the sound of crashing waves and how the gently rolling fog mirrored something in her friend's eyes. Yes, the silver was much brighter here, at his home.

"I am," she answered. "I'm quite excited to visit your estate, maybe even meet your family."

She knew Azuris was a world of castles and stone architecture, much like Luverie. They didn't refer to their homes as estates like the Therian people. But the word castle felt odd in her mouth and she didn't like the sound of it, so she ignored it.

Sorein paled though, turning his head toward the rocky path ahead. Away from her.

"Of course."

Perhaps it'd been wrong, she shouldn't have only meant to make herself feel better, but–

The look almost appeared guilty.

Noah nudged into her shoulder, gesturing them forward. She almost missed the warning glare he shot Sorein over her shoulder.

Almost.

But when she opened her mouth again, Ezre shouted directions through the fog, interrupting her thoughts.

Travel in rows of two, keep up, don't lose anyone in the fog. Simple, mind numbing instructions. Another tool she could ground herself with.

Iliya rubbed her eyes one last time, counting the glowing stalagmites as they passed the City Gates.

Later.

She would worry about such things later.

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

64.9K 10.9K 122
🌟WATTYS 2023 SHORTLIST 🌟WATTYS 2023 FANS CHOICE AWARDS NOMINEE 🌟WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST 🌟Editor's Pick (Reading Radar) Feb 2024 🌟 Featured Wattpa...
665 115 16
Prompt: "Fairytales are real" and there couldn't be anything worse." "Hi, my name is Rue, and my fairytale is worse than Cinderella's and Snow White'...
949K 68.4K 80
❖ QUEENKILLER, KINGMAKER Book 1 ❖ Feudal Southeast-Asia filled with magic, daemons, and a royal conspiracy. This is Isla's quest for the truth, and h...
Luminous jeidafei

Фэнтези

1.3M 72K 115
Born with glowing green eyes. Destined for rotten luck. Peasant girl Meya Hild was "given" the opportunity to become a Lady. At swordpoint. By merce...