The Lost Princess - A 'Select...

By FidgetingMonk

An abusive adoptive father. A girl longing for independance. A Prince looking for a bride. A family looking f... More

CHAPTER 1
CHAPTER 2
CHAPTER 3
CHAPTER 4
CHAPTER 5
CHAPTER 6
CHAPTER 7
CHAPTER 8
CHAPTER 9
CHAPTER 10
CHAPTER 11
CHAPTER 12
CHAPTER 13
CHAPTER 14
CHAPTER 15
CHAPTER 16
CHAPTER 17
CHAPTER 18
CHAPTER 19
CHAPTER 20
CHAPTER 21
CHAPTER 22
CHAPTER 23
CHAPTER 24
CHAPTER 25
CHAPTER 26
CHAPTER 27
CHAPTER 28
CHAPTER 30
CHAPTER 31
CHAPTER 32
CHAPTER 33
CHAPTER 34
CHAPTER 35
CHAPTER 36
CHAPTER 37
CHAPTER 38
CHAPTER 39
CHAPTER 40
CHAPTER 41
CHAPTER 42
CHAPTER 43
CHAPTER 44
CHAPTER 45
CHAPTER 46
CHAPTER 47
CHAPTER 48
CHAPTER 49
CHAPTER 50
CHAPTER 51
CHAPTER 52
CHAPTER 53
CHAPTER 54
CHAPTER 55
CHAPTER 56
CHAPTER 57
CHAPTER 58

CHAPTER 29

154 4 11
By FidgetingMonk

The entire royal family - which Aurora was now apparently a part of - dined alone, with Kate and Adelaide, in a private room.

They were all conversing softly between themselves, when Elena suddenly asked Kate loudly, "Did you accept the proposal or not?".

Kate choked on her food, and Adelaide thumped at her back.

They were all eating a late brunch, since it was too late for breakfast, and too early for lunch.

"No," she said finally, after taking a sip of water.

"And why not?" Lucian demanded.

"You really want to know why?" Aurora asked him incredulously.

There were like, so many things wrong with that proposal.

"First off, it wasn't romantic -," Kate began.

"It was supposed to be!" Lucian protested.

But Kate continued like she hadn't heard him. "You practically proposed when my best friend was having a nervous breakdown! With a god forsaken stolen ring!".

"A very pretty god forsaken stolen ring," Elena muttered.

Kate glared at her. "Whose side are you on?".

Elena shut her mouth.

"And, AND, you didn't ask my mother, or your parents' permission. Queen Elena practically got to know you loved me through a damn video call!" Kate said, banging her fist on the table.

"But she-".

"Did you just think I'd say okay to become a Queen overnight? Did you even ask me if I wanted it?" she continued.

"You are part of Eric's Selected. Of course you wanted to be Queen!" Lucian pointed out.

"My chances of that was like one in thirty five!".

"Thirty four," Aurora had to correct.

"Yes, thirty four, whatever. Did you just think that just because you're a Prince, I'd just say yes? Lucian, I'm telling you this because you need to hear it really badly - I love you with all my heart, but you're simply incorrigible!" Kate said, pushing her chair, and walking out of the room.

"Should I go after her?" Adelaide asked worriedly.

"Give her some time," Aurora said. "We'll talk to her later".

"I just messed it up, didn't I?" Lucian asked, looking around at the table.

"Unfortunately, I think you just did, son," King Edward said sadly.

"But she said she loved me," Lucian said, brightening up. "She'll come around".

"Not if you act the same way," Aurora said. "You know she's a hopeless romantic. Propose to her in a way she can't refuse. And ask her mother first, for heaven's sake".

"I approve, by the way," Elena said.

"You do?" Lucian asked, looking very surprised.

"If she had agreed to take the ring then and there, of course not. I would have thought of her as a gold digger. But she seems good enough," Elena said shrugging. "But make it clear that we aren't expecting her to marry you like, immediately. You'll have a long engagement, and even after you get married, Vincenzo and I plan on ruling for as long as we can".

"Yeah you may want to tell her that. She's quite worried that she'll have to become Queen immediately," Adelaide said.

There was a short pause.

"We'll have to start planning the ball immediately," Elora said, breaking the silence.

"I thought it was already done," Eric said.

"We're introducing Ella, sorry Aurora to the world, Eric. It has to be much more grander. The original plans have all been scrapped," Elora said. "We'll be needing new invitations, a completely different color theme, and even new gowns for all of us".

"We can use the Victorian-Era themed invite I designed for the Halloween party," Aurora offered.

Elena waved her hand, and a holographic screen appeared, with Aurora's design on it. She swished her hands, and typed something midair, and the words immediately changed.

"Perfect," Elora said. "We can't hand deliver it, since it'll take too much time, especially since we'll have to invite royals from all around the globe".

"I'll send the guest list soon," Elena said, already typing at a screen that had appeared midair.

"And the theme?" Elora asked, looking at the ladies, completely ignoring the others.

"Well, let's not restrict what the others can wear, but the royal family can alone wear a single color," Adelaide said, while Elora nodded.

"For the decorations... Should we go with pastel colors?" Aurora asked.

"Pastel pink," Elora said, and all of them nodded. "Since you know... the lost daughter returning and stuff".

"We need a new floral theme too - and since we changed it from the previous one, we need to act quickly. We won't get so many flowers on such quick demand," Elena pointed out.

"Lilies of the Valley, and baby pink peonies?" Adelaide suggested.

"Perfect. We'll get them in bulk even if we order it a day before the ball," Aurora said.

"Anyone else feel as lost as I do?" Eric asked.

His father, cousin and younger sisters chorused yes.

"I think we'll leave now," King Edward said, carrying his two daughters, and walking out with the boys.

Aurora shook her head at them, and moved the holograph with her invite towards her. She chose a few options, and made it a light pink in color. 

"Looks good," Elora said, and Aurora felt warm as she heard her mother's praise.

"What about the food?" Adelaide asked.

"It can remain the same," Elena said. "We just need to add a few dishes from the culture of the royals of various kingdoms attending, but I think the kitchens are well equipped for the challenge".

"You're already doing a great job of being Aurora's Lady-in-Waiting, Adelaide," Elora said.

Adelaide blushed a pretty pink.

"I've emailed you the list," Elena said, and Aurora quickly sent the invites to the guests.

"What about the birthday cake?" Adelaide asked.

"There's cake?" Aurora asked back.

"Of course," Elora asked, like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"A nineteen layer chocolate truffle cake with vanilla icing, and white ganache in the shape of carnations?" Adelaide asked them.

"Ooh nice," Elena said. "That's Eric's favorite flavor".

"Aurora's too," Adelaide said.

"How are you two so similar?" Elora asked wonderingly.

"Same question here - Lo and I are practically like chalk and cheese," Elena added.

Aurora shrugged.

"Invites, done. Theme, done. Food, done. Cake, done," Adelaide said, ticking of a list that floated in front of her on the screen.

"All we have left is the dress, then," Elora said.

***

Elora and Elena had left to see their seamstresses, while Aurora and Adelaide were in their rooms, seeing if they could find any dresses they liked.

Adelaide looked at the few dresses Aurora had kept on the bed and had tossed them away, saying, "No. No. NO!".

"They don't look that bad, you know," Aurora said. "I wore similar dresses for the previous balls and they were just fine!".

"You can't wear the same thing for the Cannes Festival and the Oscars, Aurora!" Adelaide shrieked, despite knowing that Aurora wouldn't understand the  analogy she had used.

An idea suddenly sparked in Aurora's mind.

"Come on," she said, tugging Adelaide's hand.

"Where are we going?" Adelaide asked, as they made their way to the third floor.

"Be patient, Addy," Aurora said.

Adelaide sighed. 

"Are you happy that I'm your Lady-in-Waiting?" she suddenly asked.

"Why wouldn't I be?" Aurora asked back, confused.

"I mean... I know you would rather have Kate be your Lady-in-Waiting," Adelaide said. "Since you know... I was super mean to you".

"You were mean for like two days," Aurora said. "Both you and Kate are like sisters to me, Addy. I love both of you equally".

Adelaide nodded. "Do you think Kate is acting a bit strange around you?".

""Is she?" Aurora asked, surprised, missing the expression of concern on Adelaide's face. "I didn't notice anything".

"Maybe I'm just imagining it. I mean, she just rejected a proposal from the man she loves," Adelaide said, almost as though she were trying to convince herself.

Aurora nodded absent mindedly.

"Oooh did you hear like five people dropped out of the Selection?" Adelaide asked suddenly.

"Really?" Aurora asked. "But it's only been a few hours since the news came. And they don't even know the true identity of who the Princess is!".

"Yeah," Adelaide said. "But I saw Ashley Thompson and a few others leave before we went for brunch. Apparently they only want the Crown".

"Ashley Thompson? The swimmer?" Aurora asked, remembering the strawberry blonde girl who Adelaide had hung out with at first.

Adelaide nodded.

"Are you okay with it? That you won't be the next Queen?" Aurora asked her.

"Honestly? I'm fine with it," Adelaide replied. "Most people want to become Queen for the popularity, and the glamour. They don't see how dark it can get behind all the glitz, though. I've seen first hand how bad it is".

Aurora could help but feel uneasy as she heard Adelaide speak.

"They want the throne for the power it gives them, but I'm fine without it. I mean, whether or not my relationship with Eric progresses, you're stuck with me, and I'm stuck with you," she continued, grinning at Aurora.

"Oh, I think it's progressed quite a bit," Aurora said, smiling widely.

Contrary to her expectations, Adelaide didn't blush or smile back.

"What is it, Addy?" she asked gently.

"It's silly," Adelaide said, trying to dismiss her worries away, though she didn't meet her eyes.

"Tell me," Aurora insisted. 

"It's just that... I hear a lot of the girls talking on how Eric loves them, and takes them on the most romantic of dates and stuff. I'm not jealous or anything - I understand that he has to do all that, but...".

"It just feels hard," Aurora completed for her.

Adelaide nodded. 

"I trust him completely. He's a gem. But it's been so long since we truly spent time alone. I don't blame him. We're both busy with different things, and I don't want to look clingy either. I understand - he just got his sister back. He's surely overwhelmed, but I just miss him," Adelaide said, and Aurora could hear her voice break.

She made a note to talk to Eric later on.

"Tell him what you just told me," she said softly. "I'm sure he'll understand".

Adelaide nodded, before changing the topic. 

"Where are we?" she asked, seeing the third floor corridors for the first time.

Aurora opened a door and said, "My room".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

16.9K 418 5
Aelin has been brutalized and scarred before, but never like what Maeve has done to her. How has she survived and coped the weeks apart from her frie...
7.3K 110 5
Summer Hathaway! The girl who never does anything wrong. But what will happend when she came on School one day and she was different. Freddy! The cut...
471K 10.7K 46
Maddie enlists in the army. What has she got to lose? Her brothers best friend beats her up, her mom doesn't care about what she does, her dad is rec...
6.6K 380 27
Ally Johnsen was an ordinary horse loving 14 year old girl until the day came that would change her life, forever. After a big fall during a competi...