On the run

By EmelySwift

Penelope Cooper is not who she appears to be to everyone in her life. 4 years ago, in the middle of nowhere... More

Character Aesthetics
One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six
Seven
Eight
Nine
Ten
Eleven
Twelve
Thirteen
Fourteen
Fifteen
Seventeen
Eighteen
Nineteen
Twenty
Twenty One
Twenty Two
Twenty Three
Twenty Four
Twenty Five
Twenty Six
Twenty Seven
Twenty Eight
Twenty Nine
Thirty

Sixteen

154 9 2
By EmelySwift

I'd kept myself busy the entire day, even finding something over lunch I wanted to talk to Alice about. It was nothing in reality but I told him I needed to talk to her about an upcoming meeting and we grabbed lunch out which I knew for a fact he was waiting for. Me alone in his office was exactly what he wanted today. I could see his frustration getting worse and worse as the minutes passed, me ignoring every one of his calls and texts, begging me to come into his office. I hadn't reminded him I had work tonight, nor had I told him what I was working. As I'd left the office at 5 I said I'd see him tomorrow and the way his jaw had clenched filled me with such a giddy pride I couldn't stop smiling the whole drive home.

A quick change and I was immediately driving to the pub, getting here just before six to an essentially empty workplace. A few stragglers in the back corner but otherwise empty. It had picked up over the past 5 or so hours, not massively though, it was still a quiet Monday night. I'd spent most of the night just sat with Dean chatting about his husband and whatever the hell argument they were having this week. I'd met Harry a few times, he popped into the pub once a month or so. He was lovely and I got on with him the same way I did with Dean.

"You're quiet tonight Pen." I looked up from the piles of napkins I kept folding, knowing we'd probably have enough here for the next week but I still kept folding.

"I have got a lot on my mind." I gave him a little smile, flicking my eyes up to him for barely a second.

"Well, I'm all ears." I sighed. "Personal or work?"

"Work."

"Here or the office."

"Kind of both."

"Oh." I put down the cloth giving me his full attention.

"I have been offered a significant pay rise."

"That's good right? How significant?"

"Like over double what I was making." He looked as shocked as I was. "I know. Turns out Lord Douche may not be as douchey as we first thought." I rolled my lips together. "He was here on Saturday night, from like 10 onwards so he saw everything and he didn't like it, says I'm not safe and wants me to quit."

"I want you to quit. Only reason I've not fired you is because I know you need the money and you might end up elsewhere." I nodded. "So, are you going to take it?"

"I don't know. It's a hell of a lot of money Dean. My job isn't that important, that wage doesn't make sense. I have a feeling that he's doing it for another reason and I dunno." I shrugged.

"What do you mean another reason?" I raised my eyebrows and stared at the napkins in my hand, shuffling uncomfortably. "Are you sleeping with your boss?" I bit my lip and looked up at him as he laughed. "Jesus Christ. How many times?"

"A few." I giggled, looking around the empty bar. "No one can know Dean."

"No, obviously. That's major though. You've not seen anyone since you started here."

"I don't have time."

"Is that why he wants to pay you more? So, you'll have more time for him?"

"That's what I'm worried about. But he's offering me 70k Dean. How the hell do I say no to like 4 grand a month?" His jaw dropped. "And he offered me that yesterday morning after forcing me to nap because he had seen me here and worked out how little sleep I've been getting. He just showed up 2 hours early. You know how good I am at not saying things I don't want to but he just dragged it all out of me like I'm an open book."

"Wait, you told him? About whatever you won't tell me?" I nodded.

"So, like, how do I know he's offering me this money because of the job, because I work hard and I deserve the wage and not because of whatever else."

"Does it matter if he has an alternative reason for it? You hate working here, I hate having this place, you will only quit a second job if you have the money and that- that's way above what you could be earning at any second job. You need to take it."

"Yes, it matters. I feel like I'm pimping myself out if that's why he's doing it. I've known the guy a month. I don't even fully trust him but my brain just has this stupid weak spot for him and you know how I feel about weak spots Dean. It's stupid. If he was offering me this without the intimate side then yeah, alright. 70 is excessive but I'd take it because it would put me in such a good position. I'd have more time to do whatever, I'd have a good amount of savings, I'd be safer there, I wouldn't have all the shit from the guys here, I'd have a normal sleeping routine. It makes sense. I know, in my head that taking it, the pay rise and his demand to quit here, it's the best option. I know that's what I need to do but it just- it feels wrong." My head was shaking as I rambled, stopping when the door at the other end of the bar opened and I turned my head to face it. "Shit."

"What?"

"Lord Douche."

"THAT-" I turned and stared at him as he smirked, looking back to me. "Oh, I get it. I'd rail him if he was my boss too."

"DEAN." I laughed, standing up from the stool. "Keep your mouth shut or I'll make your life a living hell."

"You already do."

"Ha- ha." Alex sat down in the spot he said he'd been in on Saturday, seemingly swallowing the booth with his vast size. I felt less confident here. I don't know why. Being in the pub made me feel very insecure and wary. It wasn't like at the office where I had some sense of security that I knew who was coming in and out. Here I didn't know who was around, apart from the few low life regulars. I think Alex could tell, the way he sat up a little, craning his neck to see who was in, like a bodyguard sizing up the threats against me. That alone seemed to settle me bizarrely. "Hey."

"You didn't tell me when you were working." I shrugged.

"Want a drink? If you ask nicely I think Dean might buy it for you." I looked back at Dean who was stood as close as he could in the bar, pretending to act very busy but he was 100% trying to listen in. I looked back to Alex who raised an eyebrow. "His husband might kill him though." Alex nodded once, a breath of a smile on his lips. "You don't have to be here."

"I told you, if you're here, I'm here." I sighed, imagining myself waving a white flag of surrender to him being here. I knew to pick my battles, and this wasn't one that was worth it. Especially when him being here made me feel like I had a second pair of eyes looking out for trouble.

"Did you drive here?"

"No, I flew." I rolled my eyes.

"Alright funny man. You're not drinking if you drove. You've got meetings in the morning and I'd rather not be telling them you're in hospital in a coma." I turned around before he could say anything back. "Just do him a coke Dean." Dean was smirking at me, leaning to grab a glass before very slowly filling it up.

"He really is a 6-foot 8 god."

"You thought I was lying?"

"Exaggerating a little. You don't lie."

"I lie a little." I smirked as we talked quietly, making sure Alex wouldn't hear us. "He's pissed with me."

"Why?"

"I did something at work today and ignored him. That's the most I've spoken to him all day."

"What did you do?" I took the coke from the bar, smiling innocently as I stood up, pushing my tongue into my cheek until Dean's eyes went wide. "Penny, you little minx." I laughed at Dean, turning around, and walking the drink to Alex.

"What are you two talking about?"

"Nothing in particular."

"Then why'd he call you a minx?"

"If you're going to be here, you can sit quietly and not ask any questions."

"Quit."

"No." I shook my head, smiling at him. "I haven't decided yet."

"Is that why you skipped our lunch appointment this afternoon?"

"No."

"Then why did you?" He'd moved himself a little closer as he lowered his voice. "I had something very important to talk to you about."

"That's exactly why I had other people to see." I stood up, keeping my eyes locked on his, heat rushing to my cheeks as it always did in Alex's presence. Stupid fucking weak spot. This would be so much easier to do if he wasn't the embodiment of my perfect man. "It's quiet. Probably won't be any trouble tonight and we'll close about midnight. Shout if you need anything, I've got a job to do, can't be sat here all night." 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 167 16
A photographer with a secret blog and a pop star who's lack of a love life is ruining his career, team up to fulfill both of their wants. She gains p...
73.1K 2.6K 20
Started- April, 6 2019 Completed- June 17, 2019 Status- completed and editing. How would you feel when your normal life take a huge u-turn and put yo...
5.3M 155K 56
*** This story is now FREE!!!*** After a traumatic breakup with her college sweetheart, Aria Davenport meets an older, more sexually experienced busi...
527K 14.9K 31
[Warning: I was 16 and had so much to learn when writing this] A one night stand gone wrong. Poppy Adams never spent more than one night with a man...