MAMI ✔️

By LyssahTraicey

After Hannah's brother dies in prison while on an undercover mission for the FBI she starts exchanging letter... More

Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty One
Chapter Twenty Two
Chapter Twenty Three
Chapter Twenty Four
Chapter Twenty Five
Chapter Twenty Six
Chapter Twenty Seven
Chapter Twenty Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty One
Chapter Thirty Two
Chapter Thirty Three
Chapter Thirty Four
Chapter Thirty Five
Chapter Thirty Six
Chapter Thirty Seven
Chapter Thirty Eight
Chapter Thirty Nine
Chapter Forty
Chapter Forty One
Chapter Forty Two
Epilogue

Chapter Twenty Eight

9K 434 60
By LyssahTraicey

HANNAH'S POV

"Ever been on a plane before?" I ask Diego as we walk through the gate into the plane.

"No it's my first time." He replies clearly excited.

"It might get bumpy at some point but other than that its smooth sailing the rest of the way." I assure him.

We find our seats and since its Diego's first time flying I let him have the window seat. It's a small plane meaning there's only two seats on either side of the aisle which makes me happy. I was not looking forward to dealing with someone cussing me out for being too big and taking their seat space. I'm a thick girl so I always have such kind of problems but thankfully I don't fly much. Diego helps put our bags in the overhead compartment before we both sit down.

"How long is the flight?" He asks.

"Approximately five hours if there's no delay on the layover." I answer him.

"Cool." He nods taking out his headphones.

I smile at this because it's not like I expected us to talk the whole flight over. I came prepared with a good book to keep me occupied.

Diego taps me just as I'm finding my bookmark so I turn to face him.

"You okay?" I ask him.

I don't want to make him uncomfortable by encroaching on his seat. Five hours is a long time to be uncomfortable. He nods at me and smiles.

"Yes I'm perfect. I just wanted to say thank you again for everything. You being here means the world to me especially since Santi can't be. I'm glad you two are together, you're perfect for each other and I get a big sister." Diego answers.

His words bring tears to my eyes because I realize that Jada was right, Santiago coming into my life means my family is getting bigger. The brothers think I am making their life better but they are the ones healing parts of me that I didn't realize needed healing in the first place.

"And you are the small brother I never had. It's a pleasure to be here Diego and I'm glad you invited me to be part of this milestone with you. I'm sorry Santiago couldn't be here but I am happy to be here for you in whatever capacity until he is." I promise him.

I am really tempted to tell him that Santiago will be getting out soon but the last time we talked he still hadn't heard the verdict from the parole board. It's making me anxious because it's not like I can call him and I don't want to risk sending another letter until I know of his current situation. Santiago also wants to surprise Diego once he's out and I don't want to ruin whatever plan he has.

Diego bumps his shoulder with mine since the space between seats is too small for us to have a proper hug. I smile bumping his back. I never knew having a small brother could be this much fun. I've always been the baby of the family, I'm even the youngest in our friendship group but with Diego in my life, I'm not anymore.

It doesn't take long for us to be airborne and Diego has a huge excited smile on his face the whole time. The pilot manages a perfect ascend minus bumps and the rest of the flight is just as smooth. There's a layover in Nashville, Tennessee that takes less than an hour meaning we make great time.

"So this is where you'll be spending the next four years?" I ask Diego as we maneuver our way out of the airport with our luggage.

I only have a duffle bag since I'll only be here for a few days but Diego has a couple of suitcases and bags with him. The kid is literally relocating his life across the country since he will be here for the next four years of his life and maybe more if he sets down roots. He might have been born and raised in Phoenix but it doesn't mean he has to go back there once he is done with school.

"Even the air is different." He comments looking around in wonder.

"Are you excited?" I inquire.

"Yes and honestly a little scared, I've never left Phoenix and now I'm all the way across the country." He confesses.

"And that's how you know that you're growing. It's time for you to spread your wings and soar. You need to discover who you are and sometimes that requires you to leave your comfort zone." I reassure him.

During all my big moves, Darius was there with me so I was never alone. I feel honoured that I can be here for Diego just as my big brother was for me.

"Thanks Hannah." He says smiling at me.

"Anytime, now let's get a cab to our hotel before it gets dark." I reply.

Diego nods and waves a taxi down for us. After loading up all our bags we get in and off to the heart of Providence we go. We aren't staying at the university, I booked a hotel room nearby. It will give us time to explore and learn about the place before Diego has to report in for school. He will be staying at the dorms but I didn't want to stick him in there just yet, he has the next four years of his life for that.

"This is nice." Diego comments as a bell boy helps us bring our bags into our room after we're done checking into the hotel.

"Thought I'd pay a little extra and be fancy so I booked us a suite, we each get our own bedroom and bathroom but we share everything else."I explain.

I never get to spend my money on things except for basic bills and since Darius left me a hefty inheritance I can afford to spoil Diego for a week.

"Awesome." Diego grins looking around happily.

I tip the bell boy before closing the door and walking further into the room.

"Why don't we get settled in. I'll order us room service and get some much needed rest. We have a lot of exploring to do tomorrow." I suggest.

"Okay, I'll go call Sofia first." Diego says jumping up from the sofa he was perched on.

I smile at his excitement wishing I could call my boyfriend as well, or boyfriend to be but that's not possible and its kind of sad. But I will not be sad forever because he is getting out soon. And I can't wait.

My phone rings as I'm unpacking my bags in my room and I retrieve it excitedly thinking it's Santiago but my smile fades once I see who's calling me.

"What?" I mumble my phone stuck between my ear and my shoulder.

"Hello to you too best friend. I'm doing okay, thanks for asking." Jada retorts sarcastically.

"I'm sorry. I thought you were Santiago." I apologize for being curt with her.

"You still haven't heard from him yet?"

"No and I'm worried. I wish there was a way for me to know but all I can do is wait until he calls me." I answer.

"I'm sorry bestie but keep being positive, I'm sure it all worked out fine." Jada encourages.

"Thank you, I'm trying." I mumble.

"You'll be fine, you both will be. How's Providence? Have you settled into the hotel?" Jada asks.

"I'm actually unpacking right now, the flight was okay and Rhode Island is nice but different. I haven't left Phoenix in years so it feel strange being away but excited as well. I was due for a vacation." I reply.

"I'm glad you're getting a chance to catch a break and explore. I want you to have fun." Jada demands.

"I will. So how's the honeymoon going? Where are you again?" I ask.

Jada and Tom decided to go on sort of a world tour for their honeymoon. They've been gone for a week with two more to go.

"Greece, and Hannah, it's beautiful. You need to come here one day, I'll send photos." She gushes.

"I don't know if Santiago is a traveling person and you know I don't travel well alone." I reply.

"That man is smitten with you, he'll go to hell for you if you ask." Jada asserts.

"Thanks Jay but currently I'm focusing on waiting for him to get out of prison." I confess.

"I know darling and he's getting out. Do you want me to ask Tom to make inquiries?" She offers.

I am so tempted to say yes but that would be using Tom wrong and it's only been a week anyway.

"No that's okay, let's wait for a couple more days before Tom goes flashing his badge around." I reply.

"If you say so. Anyway, I gotta bounce, hubby and me are going on a cuisine tour. I like the sound of that, hubby. Hannah I'm married. I am a wife with a husband." Jada rambles excitedly making me laugh.

"Enjoy your honeymoon wife, say hello to that husband of yours. Bring me something nice from Greece." I request with a laugh.

I'm happy that my two best friends found their happily ever after in each other. I can't wait to get that with Santiago. All in due time.

"I will and definitely, have fun as well. Say hello to Diego. I love you."

"I love you too."

We both hung up and after I am done unpacking, I decide to take a shower since I can still hear Diego chatting away with Sofia. The distance will be brutal for them after spending all summer glued to the hip but if it's true love which obviously it is, I believe they will make it work. Or if it doesn't right now and they break up, if they are meant to be then they will find each other again when the time is right.

After my shower I change into a comfortable pair of sweatpants and a matching hoodie. Diego is in the bathroom so I order room service so that it'll be here by the time that he's done.

"Dinner and a movie." I suggest to him when he joins me in the living room half an hour later.

The kid sure does take long showers.

"Yes as long as I get to pick the movie." He demands.

"Only because you've asked so nicely." I retort giving him the remote.

He ends up picking Entergalactic which turns out to be a good animated movie that we both enjoy as we eat our dinner.

Diego is a vibe as always and we end up staying up till well past midnight watching movies and overfeeding on snacks. It's not like we have a schedule to adhere to.

When we finally go to bed at one am, I am out like a light in minutes.

✉️✉️✉️

It's been two days in Providence and I think Diego is in love. We had a tour of the campus yesterday and Brown is an amazing institution. It's definitely worth all the hype for an Ivy League school. I can see Diego flourishing here amidst all the other nerds like him.

"How about this cafe, it looks nice enough?" I suggest as we walk past a nice looking establishment.

We've been exploring the city all morning and are looking for a place to stop for lunch.

"Okay." Diego replies.

He holds the door open for me and even though its lunch hour, there's not a lot of people so we easily spot a free table. A waitress approaches us and after giving us a rundown of the specials Diego and I make our order. We are served in less than ten minutes and since we have worked quite an appetite all morning we immediately dig in.

"Can we please go to the bay after this? I want to see all the cool boats." Diego requests us we enjoy our food.

"Only if we can go for a ride." I concede.

"Okay." Diego nods.

Arizona is a landlocked state so sandy shores isn't something we experience. Now that we are here I want to go see the ocean, it's been a while since I've dipped my feet in sand or take a beach walk.

"Excuse me." A deep voice rumbles startling me.

I look up to find a tall, dark, handsome stranger staring down at me.

"Hi." He greets.

"Hello." I reply but Diego doesn't say anything.

"Sorry to intrude but I saw you across the room and couldn't't help but think you're the most beautiful woman I've ever seen. I just had to tell you. I'm Clay." He introduces holding his hand out.

I take it and he surprises me by kissing the back of my hand. Oh wow. It's been a while since I was hit on and I have no idea how to react. Clay is a handsome man but I only have eyes for one man at the moment.

"Thank you but ..." I begin only for Diego to cut in.

"She's not interested." He speaks out more curt than I would have been.

"Diego!" I scold.

He's taken the words right out of my mouth but he doesn't have to be rude.

"I was talking to your sister here little man." Clay says casting a glare towards Diego.

I do not like the way he looks at him.

"Don't talk to him like that." I demand.

"Can I have your number?" Clay asks completely ignoring my previous comment.

I don't even have the chance to reply before Diego steps in.

"No!"

"No." I echo a bit more calmly.

"Why?" Clay asks.

"I'm dating someone." I answer.

"You're not married so you're still fair game." Clay grins looking at my bare left hand.

I gasp offended wondering what kind of man acts as so crass. It's disgusting and I immediately get into defensive mode.

"I'm not interested, please leave." I request politely.

"Come on beautiful, it's just digits." Clay entices winking at me.

He moves to touch my hand and I immediately cringe moving away.

"This is my sister in law dude so I suggest you take a walk before I make you." Diego demands getting up with a pissed off look on his face.

I never knew Diego could get so angry. I realize that we are attracting attention from the people around us so I need to end this and fast.

"You being an insistent jerk isn't making me anymore interested in you. Please go away." I ask him.

Clay makes no move to leave and Diego looks about ready to punch the guy even though Clay is taller and buffer than him.

"Is everything okay?" A waiter asks approaching us.

Thank God!

"No, this man won't stop harassing me and my sister." Diego replies.

Each time Diego calls me his sister my heart flutters.

"Is this true miss?" The waiter aks.

"Yes." I nod.

"Excuse me sir but I'm going to have to ask you to leave." The waiter demands.

"Fine, I don't do fatties anyway." Clay scoffs and storms off.

The waiter apologizes profusely and offers a pie for dessert on the house.

"Are you okay?" Diego asks as we leave the cafe twenty minutes later.

"Yes I'm good, it's not the first time a man has turned aggressive after I've turned him down."I assure him.

Clay thought he hurt me by calling me a fattie but I've been called worse all my life. And besides I am confident in my body with a man who likes me for me. I do not need his approval.

"We can go back to the hotel." Diego suggests.

"Are you kidding? No way! We came here to have fun and there's no way I am letting an insignificant man like that ruin our day." I assure him.

"Okay and he was wrong anyway. You're very beautiful." Diego compliments.

"Thank you. Now let's go, the beach is calling to us." I reply.

Diego smiles and waves a taxi down for us.

The beach is as fun as I expected it to be and we spend the rest of the afternoon there.

I'm enjoying the sunset while Diego looks for sea shells when my phone rings in my purse. My heart races once I see the caller ID. Finally the call I've been waiting for all week.

"Mami."

"Cesar? Hi!" I respond excitedly happy to hear his voice.

"Hi baby, how are you?" He asks.

"How am I? How are you? It's been a week, I was getting worried." I demand.

Santiago has a habit of disappearing on me but then prison is unpredictable. That's why I am so happy that he is getting out so he can always be acceccible to me. I hate going for days without talking to him.

"I know, I'm sorry." He apologizes.

"It's okay, so how did it go?" I ask referring to the parole hearing.

"The ..." He starts but we're cut off by Diego.

"Is that Santi?" He yells running towards me.

Wrong timing kid!

"Yes." I nod putting the phone on speaker so we can both talk to him at the same time.

"Hi Santi." Diego yells excitedly sitting next to me

"Hermano, how are you baby brother?" Santiago asks.

"Great, we're in Providence." Diego cheers.

"So I heard." Santiago replies his voice getting a scolding tone to it.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you, must have slipped my mind." Diego apologizes smiling at me sheepishly.

"No it didn't, you were just afraid I'd tell you to stop bothering my girl." Santiago points out.

"Yeah." Diego mumbles digging his heels into the sand nervously.

"I wouldn't have stopped you Diego, I'm glad Hannah is there with you." Santiago assures him.

"Me too. We are having the best time." Diego grins looking at me.

I silently fist bump him in agreement.

"I'm glad. So is Brown everything you wanted it to be?" Santiago asks.

"Yes and so much more. Thanks you to you both for talking me into following my dreams." Diego answers happily.

It's obvious that he already loves the place and I know he will bloom here.

"You're welcome." I reply.

"You deserve to hermano. I hope you're taking care of Hannah." Santiago asks.

"Yes he is. He's taking after you, a bit too much if you ask me." I reply recalling the incident that happened at the restaurant.

That could have had an ugly ending if the waiter hadn't intervened.

"I feel like there's a story there." Santiago asks.

"There isn't." I reply a little too quickly.

I don't want to worry him unnecessarily. We handled the situation quickly and thankfully nobody got hurt.

"Yes there is. Some dude tried to hit on her earlier." Diego rats us out.

I expect Santiago to overreact but his response surprises me and Diego as well.

"There's nothing wrong with that, Hannah is gorgeous so she will attract men wherever she goes." Santiago says calmly.

"How are you so okay with this? Shouldn't you be more jealous?" Diego demands.

"I am jealous but I trust my girl." Santiago replies making me smile.

Isn't he just the best? Is this what it feels like to date a secure trusting man? If it is then I love it.

"You two are perfect for each other." Diego mutters.

"I know." I grin making Santiago laugh.

My phone flashes a low battery charge warning and I cuss out. Diego's already shut down an hour ago meaning we have to cut our conversation short. I didn't even get to ask him about the parole hearing outcome and I can't while Diego is here.

"Hannah's phone is shutting down." Diego informs Santiago.

"I'll catch you two later then. Take care of yourselves. I love you both." Santiago says.

The phone shuts down before we can reply.

Did Santiago just confess his love? Yes it was to both of us and I already know that he loves me but we agreed to wait until he's out to say the words. I decide not to dwell too much on it because he said it to Diego as well. It was probably a slip of the tongue but it did feel good.

"Help me find sea shells?" Diego requests stirring me from my thoughts.

I nod and get up to join him in his hunt.

We manage to find three. He lets me keep one, saying he'll keep one and send the other to Sofia. He is so cute and romantic. Just like his big brother who I can't wait to be released already.

I hate that I don't know the outcome of his trial but like Jada advised I'm choosing to remain positive. We take a taxi back to the hotel after enjoying sea food at a restaurant by the beach. Best way to end a good day.

✉️✉️✉️

"Be good okay and study hard. Remember what brought you here in the first place and don't stray." I request Diego as we say goodbye at the University gate.

We've been here a week and now it's time for me to head back to Phoenix. Diego is already settled in and ready to start this new phase of his life alone.

"I won't, I promise." He assures me.

"Good. Now come here, give me a hug." I request him.

Diego smiles and hugs me tightly. We have grown so much closer over the course of the week and I like that our bond is stronger.

"Text me when you take off and call when you land." He demands as we pull apart.

"Bossy and protective, you really are Santiago's baby brother." I tease.

"I know." He grins puffing up his chest.

I laugh and tweak his nose to show him that he's still a kid to me.

"Bye kid, see you soon."

"Bye Hannah."

He holds the door of the taxi open for me and closes it once I'm settled in. I roll down the window and wave at him until he disappears out of sight.

Diego is going to be alright. If he is anything like his brother then he will flourish here and I can't wait to see the man that he grows up to be. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

7.6K 485 26
❛ . ╱╱ ❪ 𝘤𝘳𝘰𝘴𝘴𝘰𝘷𝘦𝘳 ❫ ━━━━━━━━━━━━━ in which lovers from rival gang families team up with a duo of eccentric cops. ( ✦ )...
3.7K 190 29
Ada is 20 years old and a very beautiful lady. She losses her dad in the hands of some gang. Sad and having no parents and any other family member...
55K 1.4K 32
It was simple. She was beautiful. And I almost killed her. ---------- cover by AvaBrielle being edited
189 0 8
DISCONTINUED ❥ 𝐀𝐍𝐆𝐄𝐋 𝐏𝐑𝐎𝐃𝐔𝐂𝐓𝐈𝐎𝐍𝐒 ˚₊· ͟͟͞͞➳❥ "𝑪𝒐𝒖𝒍𝒅 𝒔𝒕𝒂𝒓𝒕 𝒘𝒊𝒕𝒉 𝒉𝒂𝒏𝒅𝒔𝒉𝒂𝒌𝒆 𝒃𝒂𝒃𝒚, 𝒊𝒎𝒎𝒂 𝒏𝒆𝒆...