My Own Way

By strength0629

*This is the spin-off to Runaway Bride. I recommend reading it before starting to read this one.* Locked in... More

My Own Way
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24 - Part 1
Chapter 24 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 25 - Part 1
Chapter 25 - Part 2 of 2
Chapter 26 - Part 1
Chapter 26 - Part 2
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Epilogue

Chapter 3

27.2K 513 22
By strength0629

Chapter 3

I felt better waking up from my nap but I had to hurry, I didn't want to be late for work. Taking a very quick shower then I started to work on my hair and make-up.

At work, my make-up was simple, mascara and lip gloss. One of my co-workers suggested that I should put more make-up and do my hair a certain way and I'd get more tips. I just laughed. I wasn't going to waste my money on make-up only to wear it here.

The girls at work were nice but I always wondered what their lives were like outside of work.

Maybe one of them could be a friend, like Emily wants me to have, I thought. I know Emily would be pleased but she wanted me to open up to Blake, to open up to a man and not a woman.

I heard my cell phone beep again. I grabbed it and looked.

One missed call from Blake, and a new voice mail.

As I put my running shoes on and my jacket, I listen to his message over the speaker phone.

"I always get your voice mail... You didn't have to leave this morning, it would have been nice to wake up and see that you were still here...for a change. You know where to reach me."

I'll call him later after work...or something, I told myself.

On my way to work, I kept thinking of what Emily had said during our last session.

I always feel like what I want and what I'm doing is very different of what I should be doing.

I got in the parking lot and saw a spot to park my car.

Don't forget to check the paper for the oil change, I reminded myself. I couldn't forget, my dad would be worried and then both my parents would call none stop until it was done.

I walked into the diner and Maddy was already looking right at me with a big smile then started to walk my way.

"Hey." I said.

"Hi! How are you?" She asked more bubbly than usual.

"I'm fine, you? Were you waiting for me?"

"I'm good and yes I was. You already have a customer waiting for you." She said and her smile got bigger.

I looked over to my usual section and that's when I spotted Blake sitting in my section, in one of the booths.

Crap.

I smiled at Maddy hoping she'd go away, "Thanks."

"He's been here at least 3 times in less than a month, and the food here isn't that great. He only wants to sit in your section." She said giggling. "He likes you, ask him out. That man is fine." She said, referring to his good looks.

"Um..." I tried to think of what to say. I didn't want to laugh in her face but I didn't want to tell her off so I did the only thing I could think of...I smiled.

Maddy seemed satisfied, she smiled back then left.

I went to the back of the diner, grabbed my time sheet and punched in. Placed my purse in my locker and hanged my jacket in our small closet. I stayed in my dark jeans and my black t-shirt. I put on my apron with the diner's logo and walked my way to the front.

I turned my head and saw Maddy and Rachel smiling at me and Rachel nudging her head in Blake's direction.

I smiled my fake smile at them while taking an order pad and a pen then made my way to Blake.

"Why do you always sit in my section?" I asked when I got beside him.

He turned his face towards me and smiled.

"I thought it was obvious, I come to see you. I called you earlier." Blake said.

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah sorry, I was going to call you after work."

"Right." He said sarcastically.

I took a deep breath and asked, "What can I get you?" as I got ready to write.

When he didn't say a word, I looked at him and he had the look in his eyes that I knew very well.

"What can I get you from the food menu?" I rephrased with half a smile.

"My usual." He said with a smirk.

I nodded my head. "Coke with a BLT sandwich with a side of fries?" I asked.

He nodded his head in approval.

I wrote it down, "Won't be to long." I said then left.

I put his order in with our cook and then started up on his Coke.

"Now he's a fine looking man." I heard. I turned and Maddy was beside me, checking out Blake.

He was nice to look at. I had to be blind not to see it. With his 6'2, muscular frame, short dark brown hair that almost looked black, but when the Sunlight hit, you could see the brown. His piercing dark blue eyes which I couldn't look into for long, they made me feel like he could see right through me. That with every lie I had told him, he could see the truth.

"I guess." I said.

"I guess? He comes here and sits at one of your tables. Please know he's here for you." She said.

"Leave it alone Maddy." I warned her.

I never discussed my personal life at work. Emily was right about that, I do keep people at arms length. It's not that I dislike my co-workers or that I don't want to trust them, I just don't want them as friends, as cold as that might sound.

"All I'm saying is that he's cute." She said.

I looked at her and she smiled at me then left me alone.

I brought Blake his drink and was ready to turn and leave when he spoke up.

"Why didn't you stay this morning?" He asked.

"I had things to do." I answered and I wasn't lying for once.

"You always have things to do."

I looked around and I could see Maddy and Rachel looking our way.

"I'm not talking about this here or now." I said in a warning tone.

"Okay. You know where I live." He said.

I stayed there not knowing what to do. Do I just turn and leave? Do I tell him I'll come over tonight and we can talk?

Emily's words still stuck in my head and it was driving me crazy.

Taking a deep breath, I looked at him and made the decision to turn and leave.

I went back behind the counter and pretended I had something to do and look busy. Our boss, Lucas always told us to be busy or at least look like it.

There were no waiters who worked at the diner, Lucas liked that it was only women. We were slim, fit and most of our customers were men. It didn't take a genius to know that they didn't come here for the food. The only male employee other than Lucas was the cook, Martin. He was really nice as was his wife, she'd come here to eat from time to time and she could make me laugh.

When she didn't like her food she'd make us return it and would give us a message to tell her husband. It wasn't a big secret that Martin wasn't a great cook. Martin's wife and I would laugh and talk about watching the brutally honest celebrity Chef on TV and she'd say that Martin needed to learn to cook better or get out of the kitchen.

Both Martin and his wife, Rebecca, were in their 40s. When I started to work at the diner, I was surprised by Rebecca honesty towards her husband's cooking at work. If it was me, I would have exploded multiple times but her husband took it well. The very first time I had to return her plate to Martin along with her message, I was nervous but when he told me to give her a message in return, I could see he held his own. I laughed and knew they were a good match.

"Amanda, your order's up." I heard Martin say.

I walked over and grabbed Blake's order. When I got to his table I put his food down in front of him and was about to turn around when I heard him say, "Hey, sit with me."

I stopped and looked around.

"Can't, I'm busy." I said.

"Oh yeah, I can tell." He answered right back, again being sarcastic.

He was the only one in my section while all my other tables were empty. I rolled my eyes and sat down across from him.

"What?" I asked, annoyed. It was hard enough that I had to actually have a conversation with him, but at work with my coworkers and their customers watching was just harder.

"How are you?" He asked with a small smile.

"Seriously?!" I asked and he just nodded, like it was normal for us.

I wanted to get up and leave this uncomfortable situation but at the same time I could hear Emily's voice in my head to keep going.

"Fine." I answered feeling Maddy's eyes on us. I slowly glanced in her direction and saw her talking with Rachel and both were looking our way.

"I'm fine too, thanks for asking." He said. My eyes went back to him and our eyes locked.

I quickly looked away. "Sorry. How are you Blake?" I asked, feeling like an idiot.

He laughed, "I'm good."

I looked quickly at him. He had a great laugh and an even better smile. Since the day I had paid attention and saw him, I thought he was sexy. I don't know what he saw in me but, he was great to look at and even better in the sheets.

"Are you coming over tonight?" He asked with that look in his eyes.

I smiled, we didn't know much about each other but that look, I knew very well.

"I don't know yet." I said being truthful.

"Well, you know where I live." He said smiling.

I smirked and brought my head down a bit, "Yes that I do." I said embarrassed.

"Wow." I heard him say, I looked at him but his eyes were still on me.

"What?" I asked.

"Nothing, it's just...never seen you blush before. It's a first." He said with a big smile.

I rolled my eyes. "Almost everything is a first with you and me." I told him.

"But that's not my fault." He stated. "We've been doing this...for a little over 2 months and I know your workplace by luck, not because you told me." He said taking another bit of his food.

"I know." I said and looked out the window.

"Come over tonight, we can watch the game. I know you like hockey." He said.

I smiled. Of course he knew how couldn't he? Working with my father had its advantage.

"It starts at 7." I informed him.

"Yeah I know. I have beer, coke...diet coke, chips, popcorn...water...an apple...celery..." He said.

"You have everything from high to low calories, wow." I said smirking.

"Yeah, so you have no excuse. I'll even go buy lettuce and carrots if you want." He said.

I laughed and shook my head. "What am I, a rabbit?" I asked and he laughed.

"Okay." I said making sure my voice was low enough. I didn't need the whole place to hear my answer.

I looked at him and he had a big smile. If I didn't know better I would have thought he won the lottery or something. If he only knew, I'm definitely not the lottery.

"Good. So come over anytime you want, I'll be home." He said, finishing his meal.

He moved in his seat and out came his wallet. He always ordered the same meal so he knew how much his bill was.

He placed his money on the table and started to get up and I followed.

"I'll see you later." He said smiling and I nodded.

"Yeah, I'll see you later. You want me to bring anything?" I asked, being polite.

"No, just you."

"Okay." I said and grabbed the money he put on the table. "Change?" I asked.

"No." He said smiling. "I'll see you later." He said and started to turn and walk away.

I started to clean the table when I heard him say, "Hey, didn't you just start your shift?"

I nodded, "I have a very short shift today."

He nodded, "Oh, you're probably due for an oil change soon. Check alright?"

I looked at him and smiled. "I know, my dad already told me, today actually. Thank you for the reminder."

He nodded his head once, turned and left.

I watched him go and took a deep breath.

Nice bum, I thought to myself.

Well that went well for a first conversation. I smiled, I was proud of myself. Emily will be happy...or she better be.

I cleaned the rest of the table and Sammy came and helped me.

"Hey, I didn't see you come in." I said to her.

"Yeah I know. You were busy but we all saw you." She said laughing.

"I could feel everyone's eyes on me." I said looking at her.

"Do you blame us? It doesn't happen often that you sit and talk with a customer. He is cute though." She said and I laughed.

"You think so?!"

"Yeah, for a male." She answered and laughed.

The way I interact with women wasn't bad, I could talk and be somewhat normal but men and I, was completely different. My coworkers and a few customers wanted to know about my private life, but my whole life was private and I didn't share. I didn't share stories, with men or women.

Sammy was a bit of both. She wasn't into men, she was devoted and in love with the love of her life, Christina. She was a flirt and the first time she made a comment to me about how beautiful I was, I froze. I didn't know how to react and I panicked, she apologized right away. After a couple of weeks, I was more comfortable with her and was able to relax around her. Since then, she was still a flirt but not towards me. We didn't talk about it, which I was very grateful for, we just continued to work.

Everyone at work knows I don't like men, that I'm uncomfortable around them and that I can snap easily if provoked. A few of them asked me why but I never explained. It was none of their business.

When Sammy noticed, I think she understood more about me and my freak-outs. Since then, she has my back and helps me out. She was the only one I could see myself being friends with outside of work.

"I agree for a male, he's nice to look at." I said to her, she made a face which made me laugh.

"So...you guys planned a date or what?" She asked.

I smirked, "That is no ones business." I answered.

She laughed, "That's a yes."

I just smiled.

Once the table was ready I continued to pretend to clean, since I didn't have any customers.

I was so happy for once to have a very small shift. Lucas didn't give me big shifts on occasion, like he was punishing me for hitting the guy that slapped my butt.

When I had trouble coming up with my part of the rent, my parents would help me out. It just reminded me how amazing my family was.

I was done by 6:30 just in time to go home, grab a very quick shower and leave for Blake's place.

After work, a shower was mandatory, I always smelled like grease coming out of the diner. I could smell myself so I could only imagine someone else smelling me. It wasn't very sexy.

I decided to go simple, different pair of jeans and a green t-shirt with my running shoes.

I knew I was going to be a bit late and miss the start of the game but better late than never. I reached Blake's apartment building a bit after 7:15.

I parked my car and made my way inside. Getting off the elevator and I walked over to his front door.

I've been here so many times except tonight was different, I was nervous.

No sex...just talk, I kept repeating over and over in my head, just like Emily had said. That was going to be difficult.

I took a deep breath, knocked on the door and waited.

****Please Vote & Comment! Thank You!!****

Hope you liked 'meeting' Blake for a little bit. Next upload is Thursday!

Have a great night!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

114K 5.8K 33
Finding Happiness Spinoff - Jordan (Cole's best friend) My past haunts me. I don't do relationships because of it. I hook up, one night no feelings...
21K 999 32
"She's right! She's right! I don't cut in the right spot." My hold tightens on my wrist. The red blood oozes out of my wrist. I slide up and grab my...
3.3M 213 5
***Please note that this book has been taken down because it's been published, and you can see only the sample chapters of the published version. You...