gold rush ♬ {𝐭𝐫𝐢𝐬𝐭𝐚𝐧 �...

By immortalpoetssociety

Emma Gilmore is the twin sister of Rory Gilmore, the lead singer of her band "Oblivion" and a new student at... More

🎸
i. the pilot
ii. hellton
iii. my deers
iv. antisocials
vi. sweet sixteen
vii. sweet oblivion
viii. physical touch
ix. to define is to limit
x. won't even know
xi. home
xii. eternal flame
xiii. fight or flight
xiv. sorrows
xv. parent's day
xvi. dad
xvii. prom
xviii. prom 2
xix. fireworks
(rolling stone)
xx. welcome to new york

v. grandparents

5.4K 140 30
By immortalpoetssociety

Time is valuable. Personally, I'm mortified of losing it, of wasting it, of seeing it fly away. One of the things I'm scared about time is the fact that it always has to end, everybody has to die. If I think about it too much I'll get into an existential crisis, so I'll just get my point: with death and the shortness of time, we'll eventually reach regret of not spending our valuable time with someone whose last seconds just ended. It's a memento moris. The reminder of death. The reminder of the elderly and the sick people in our lives. The reminder of cherishing life.

The twins' grandparents aren't that old or sick, but they're older. Emma thinks about it a lot and regrets the time they spent apart due to the family feud, although she understands and respects her mother's decision. Rory feels the same way. They've talked about it a hundred times, especially when they were little kids in their beds at night, every eve of every holiday.

This whole thing is one of the reasons why they chose to spend their days with their grandparents. Here's to making memories!

Rory arrived at the country club and learned the intricacies of golf and of the entertaining society she was surrounded by. Everything with Richard went smoothly.

On the other hand, the day of Emma and Emily didn't go as quite as planned.

Emma hears a car arrive in the driveway.

"Grandma." She runs for a hug.

"Emma! Hello."

"So, I was thinking. I should give you the Grand Tour. We start with Mrs. Kim's and then maybe walk around and get lunch, because it's already 12am. Then, we have to..." Emma stopped her rambling when she looked at her grandmother's shoes. 

"What's wrong with my shoes?" Emily said kind of aggressively.

"Nothing. It's just... can you walk in them?"

"We're taking the car."

"No. Grandma, please. That's useless. Star's Hollow is not that big, it actually should be called Small Hollow, and there's no parking spots anywhere. Do you have a pair of snickers in your car?"

"Why would I have a pair of snickers? I don't even own one."

"I can lend you one of mom's."

"Oh, no. That's definitely not necessary."

"You'll miss the true Star's Hollow experience if you don't walk. Trust me."

"Okay, but nothing with rhinestones or zebra stripes or batteries or that sings, makes animals noises or moves on its own."

"That'll be hard to find, but..." And she disappears into the top of the stars with a sarcastic smile.

✯✯✯

"I feel ridiculous." Emily confessed.

"You look great."

"I look like a Clydesdale."

"You look like you're comfortable."

"People are staring."

"Because you look great."

"Yeah. What a shame you're grandfather isn't here. He'd fall in love with me all over again." Emma smiled at her grandma's irony. 

When they entered Mrs. Kim's Antiques Emily was extremely confused.

"I think we came in through the storeroom."

"No. This is it." Emma spoke innocently.

"This is the Antique Store? This is ridiculous!" It was the Emily's word of the day. "No one can run a quality business like this. This place is dusty and disorganized, and you can't possibly- Oh, wow! That's gorgeous! Look at the woodwork, it's exquisite. I wonder if it has a mate."

Emma was smiling ridiculously.

"Grandma, look at this. It has flowers all over it."

"Yes, it's very pretty." Emily was adored by every single piece in that 'storeroom'.

"Is it something special?"

"Do you like it?" Emma nods to the question. "Then it's something special."

This moment warmed Emma's heart. She felt like she was making a real connection with her grandmother, something she always dreamt, something that always felt untouchable, impossible, unreal, it had only felt like a dream until this very day. 

"Hi." Lane's soft voice announces her presence.

"Lane, this is my grandma. Grandma, this is my friend Lane." Emma introduces the two of them.

"I've heard a lot about you. You are very good friend to Emma and Rory. I appreciate it."

Lane looked at Emma with a smile.

"It's nice to meet you." Her gaze switched to Emily and to Emma again. "Can I talk to you for a sec?"

"Go. I have a lot of looking to do here." Emily leaves the girls alone and dives into her scavenger hunt. 

"Problem." Lane starts talking.

"Hit it." 

"I don't know if we'll make it on time to your grandma's surprise."

"No! Really?"

"Brian has to go to the dentist. My mother is sending me to help in the church. But Dave is free. He said maybe you could just do a duet instead of the whole band." Emma had a frown on her face. "I'm sorry. I know that's not what you planned." 

What Emma planned was to play a song with the band to her grandma as they arrived home from the Grand Tour. In her mind, it was the perfect opportunity to share this side of her with Emily. In her mind, it was perfect.  

"Don't apologize. It's fine. Can you tell Dave to be at my place around 3pm and prepare the things?" 

"Yes, of course."

"Okay, thanks." The girls turned their attention to the sound of the two voices in the store.

"That's mid-19th century. Done with the finest wood." It was Mrs. Kim severe voice.

"Is it missing an inlay?" And Emily's sharp voice too.

"No!" That felt like an insult to Lane's mother.

"I though it was missing an inlay." 

"It's in perfect condition." It was a very defensive affirmation.

"How much?"

"3500$ for the pair."

"You must be joking."

"No, no joke."

"They're nice, but they're not that nice." I love when Emily accentuates a few specific words. 

"Not a better pair on the East Coast."

"2000$." She makes a offer.

"You're from Hartford?"

"Yes."

"Huh."

"It hardly matters where I'm from. I know these pieces are overpriced."

"Look on the bottom."

"They're not signed."

"Look on the bottom."

"Are they signed?"

"Look on the bottom!"

Emily looks on the bottom.

"They're signed." Her stubbornness almost went way. Almost. "How do I know that's authentic?"

"You have my word."

"And a letter of authentication?"

"That too."

 They kept bickering. That's not the best word to use. Lane said that "It was like watching the William sisters." Emma wished she had popcorn. I say it was a fascinating interaction. 

Emily ended up buying the Antique piece with a free delivery and a lowered tax.

"I like that woman!" That's what she said when her and Emma were at Luke's waiting for their hamburgers. "And you know what? I like these shoes."

"Let's see how you like the burgers then." 

Luke arrived with their plates shortly and when Emily took a bite she said:

"I like it." 

No one on earth would guess this. No one would ever expect to see Emily Gilmore in snickers eating burger, fries and soda at a diner. Lorelai couldn't believe it when they stopped at the Inn for a quick visit.

"Is that my dear mother?" Lorelai was startled. It was completely different person in her eyes.

After a family conversation and a chat with Michelle in french, the grandmother and the granddaughter went outside. Emma wanted to show her something.

"So, the horses are up on that hill and the tennis courts are down there."

"It's certainly impressive."

"And... this is my favourite place."

"The tool shed?" Emily laughed.

It wasn't a tool shed. It was a home.

"No. This is where we used to live." Emma opened the door happily. "When mom, Rory and I moved here, this was our apartment. I know it looks small, but it's really pretty. Come on."

Emily froze in fear.

"See, we had our bed right over there." Emma continued. "Mom put up this really pretty curtain around the tub so it looked like a real bathroom. And... we would just sit outside at night when the Inn would have parties and we'd just listen to music and feed the ducks..."

Emily dissociated in the middle of Emma's explanation. At one point she put on her sunglasses because she was feeling faint and then she walked away, leaving Emma clueless between memories and terror. 

"Grandma." She shouted. "Where are you going?"

"Home. I'm not feeling so good."

"Wait for me, then." Emily stopped at her granddaughter's words.

"No, Emma. I'm sorry. I have to be alone."

Emma didn't know how to act. She went home too, but she took a faster rout. She arrived before her grandma and the whole band was there. Apparently, Brian's dentist cancelled and the church already had enough volunteers. Her friends made the effort and the sacrifice of showing up, of helping her. Now, she had to tell them that everything was gone to waste and couldn't even tell them why. 

Everybody was disappointed when she explained. They were packing their things when Emily opened the door of car. Emma looked at her grandmother with a fragile hope in her eyes. Emily didn't say a word, she put the car in reverse and left.

"I'm sorry, Emma." Lane patted her back

The band went home with empathy on their faces. Emma had a frown on hers, again.

The Gilmore girl went to her room to hide. Her family wasn't coming home any time soon, because they planned to meet at Luke's for dinner. I hate how plans are flushed down the drain in seconds, how dreams escape without saying goodbye, how disappointment and sadness are always a step away from us. Emma definitely didn't want to think about her grandmother right now, so she opened a book and jumped on those water.

She couldn't read. That's one of the worst feelings ever. However, she was forcing herself to not stop, to not think. She eventually cave into her thoughts, but different ones. Her mind started to wander through the confusing wonders of a tall blond with an irritating smile. Why? For many reasons, but mostly because, while she was reading, one of the paragraphs that she actually payed attention to talked about the event of the Gold Rush. It reminded her of him because, in some ways, he was a Gold Rush: the thing that everybody wants.

She hated herself for thinking about Tristan, again and again and again. Emma was determined to not like him, she didn't like a Gold Rush.

This metaphor woke the inspiration in her and she grabbed her guitar and composed her thoughts into a scrap of a song.

But I don't like a gold rush, gold rush
I don't like anticipating my face in a red flush
I don't like that anyone would die to feel your touch
Everybody wants you
Everybody wonders what it would be like to love you
Walk past, quick brush
I don't like slow motion double vision in rose blush
I don't like that falling feels like flying 'til the bone crush
Everybody wants you
But I don't like a gold rush

Emotions are something very peculiar.

✯✯✯

Emma sat on of the empty tables at Luke's.

"Hey, Emma. How was things with the grandma?" Luke tries to start a conversation.

"I don't understand her. What is life? Let me tell what it isn't: wonderful. This ain't a wonderful life. Frank Capra lied to all of us." Luke smiled. "Why are you smiling? It's a sick thing to do, you know. Finding pleasure in the misery of others."

"You sound just like your mother." That made Emma smile a little.

"Thanks. By the way. Can you give me  a cup of coffee?"

"No."

"I really need coffee, right now."

"No, you don't."

"Luke, please." She was using the puppy eyes.

"No."

"C'mon, Luke. The day you face Emily Gilmore you'll understand." Luke pours the cup.

"It's a brain changing experience." Lorelai sits down after kissing Emma's forehead. "Hi, sweetie."

"Hi, mom."

"Grandma called." Emma shivered to the sound of those words. "It's not your fault that she left." Emma lowered her head. "Look at me. It's not your fault. It was hard for grandma to see the place where I ran away to. I mean, I ran away from her and I chose to live in a 'tool shed' rather than her princess castle. It probably hurt. It probably still does."

"I just wanted to share with her something meaningful to me, to us."

"I know, honey. But that's just not how things work with the Gilmores." Lorelai hugs her daughter and her other daughter walks in.

"I loved it. I think I fell in love with golf." Rory stopped talking when she noticed Emma's expression. "What happened?"

"It doesn't matter. Tell me everything about your day." Emma wouldn't share this meaningful thing with her sister. The meaning wasn't great at all.

"So, the sauna was incredible..."

Please imagine the sound of their chattering slowly fading away as the lights become weaker and weaker. Do you hear the silence? Don't turn on the lights.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

347K 9.8K 43
She was the perfect small town girl. She was smart, kind, and polite to everyone she met. But she had big dreams, dreams that went far beyond the tow...
295K 11.8K 44
Hayden Gilmore was like the many women in her family who came before her; pretty, smart and addicted to coffee. And growing up in the small, close-kn...
17.6K 243 21
"𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐰𝐨𝐫𝐥𝐝 𝐰𝐚𝐬 𝐨𝐧 𝐟𝐢𝐫𝐞 𝐚𝐧𝐝 𝐧𝐨 𝐨𝐧𝐞 𝐜𝐨𝐮𝐥𝐝 𝐬𝐚𝐯𝐞 𝐦𝐞 𝐛𝐮𝐭 𝐲𝐨𝐮." "𝐖𝐡𝐚𝐭 𝐚 𝐰𝐢𝐜𝐤𝐞𝐝 𝐠𝐚𝐦𝐞 𝐲𝐨𝐮 𝐩𝐥𝐚�...
1.3K 44 4
Annabel Lee Gilmore was doing just fine living her normal, bland life in Stars Hollows with her twin sister, Rory, their mom, Lorelai, her best frien...