Once Upon a Wolf

By misslibbyj

Zoey Porter's life is not a fairytale. She isn't your typical love interest or the object of desire - someone... More

Howl-oo
PART I: Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
PART II: Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34

Chapter 7

167 15 4
By misslibbyj

CHAPTER 7

The next day wasn't that much different. Except for walking into Alice, locking lips with Brett in the library. I was looking for her all over the first floor of the lodge. It wasn't my fault I caught them nearly in the act.

"Hey, Zoey. Are you ready for the hike?" Alice said, still pulling down her top with redden cheeks.

"Yeah, sorry for barging in on you guys." I said, lowering my eyes.

"No worries. I'll be right back; I forgot my sunhat. Meet you guys outside." She reached up and kissed Brett on the cheek and ran past me in a rush.

I looked at Brett, who looked unmoved. "Hey, Brett." I greeted with an awkward wave. "I hear there's a breath-taking waterfall to look forward to at the end of our hike." I tried to initiate a conversation, to get to know him a little better. For Alice's sake, I wanted him to accept me and treat me like a human being, for crying out loud.

Brett walked slowly to me, his face stoic. He didn't respond, but exited the library, leaving me alone. I sighed. Oh, well, Alice couldn't say I tried.

My presence unsettled Brett. Whether we were eating at the dinner table, lounging in the living room, walking through the forest, or chilling on the deck. He kept grabbing Alice greedily. Like he was possessive of her when I was near. But so was I, dammit, and made my presence known at all times. Mostly to piss him off. What else could I do? I tried to speak with his sister, Willow, but she couped herself in her room. I could only take the twins' teases and endless questions in small doses, and there's no way of attempting a civil greeting without a blast of Savina's icy breeze. Nobody else talked to me. Besides, Alice always kept me in the loop, to his annoyance. Was he controlling or overprotective? That was still to be determined.

I tied the laces on my boot tighter as Alice and I stood at the entrance of the house. The leggings and tank top were perfect for the hike through the forest, Brett planned for Alice. Alice leaned casually against the railing, adjusting her floral scarf that wrapped neatly around her hair. The twins joined us after their jog. Both Zack and Mike were shirtless, their T-shirts dangled from the side of their shorts. Their chest glistening from beaded sweat. I didn't want to get distracted by their sculpted torsos and looked away — focusing on taming my hair by slipping on a cap.

We waited for Brett and another man I'd never met that would join us on the hike. I stood against the pole of the deck and observed the compound. The people roaming, going about their business like each of them had a specific role to do. They were all family or good friends. A little community of Brett's people. I hadn't noticed it before, but at the very far end, a group of men seemed to train — military style. I watched Brett's father scolding at one young man.

I breathed out and folded my arms. "What the heck is going on here?" Why would a few of the men train like they were in the marines? I wasn't sure whether to ask questions or just move the fuck on. I leaned towards the latter.

"You girls ready for the hike?" Mike asked, jumping on the deck with his twin following behind.

"Aren't you tired?" I asked. "You guys just came from a jog, and you still have energy for a hike?"

Zack laughed. "Yeah! That's child play for us."

"Excellent," I said, already huffing from the exertion and we didn't even start. "Is the hike grueling? Like, is it high up or something? Are we climbing up a mountain?"

"Nah, it's no biggie. It's just a little incline." Mike answered, and I nodded, breathing a sigh of relief.

Brett came out of the lodge and carried a backpack filled with refreshments. We all got ready and followed him into the forest. Once at the edge of the woods, another man joined us. He looked slightly older than Brett, with black curly hair that matched his dark eyes. He wore denim shorts and a T-shirt that fitted his well-formed body.

"This is my good friend, Claude," Brett said. "The eldest son of my father's right-hand man."

I've seen Claude before. He and Willow were constantly together in and out the main house.

Brett introduced Alice as his girlfriend. I had to introduce myself as Alice's best friend. We walked east into the woods with Brett and his friend, Claude, leading the trail. The sun rose high in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the lush greenery of the forest. The rays dancing in between the branches with the scent of pine and moss tickling my nose. My boots were already struggling on the uneven ground. My unfit body not adapted for nature. I glanced quickly at Alice, who seemed to take it in her stride with Brett right there to assist her with a helping hand.

The trail wound its way through towering trees, with the sound of birds chirping and leaves rustling as we ventured deeper into the wilderness. The leaves were wet and muddy beneath my feet from last night showers. Zack and Mike laughed and made jokes, teasing, and taking jabs at my weakness as I lagged once again behind. They said this was a breeze. Yeah, right! To Hercules maybe! I grumbled inside as I huffed with already achy legs. I made a mental note to take spinning classes back home as I struggled to catch my breath, trying my utmost best to keep up as we trailed up a ledge.

Brett and Claude watched throughout the woods as they led the way. Keeping an eye on the surroundings. Now and then, I glanced behind — making sure no bears ran up on me. Damn, I couldn't believe I forgot the bear repellent!

"Why do you keep looking back?" Zack asked with a tilt of his head. 

"I'm making sure no bears are on my tail," I breathed out.

The twins broke into laughter and moved up the trail, fluently bouncing from rock to rock.

As we hiked deeper into the forest, the trail grew rockier and steeper as we made it half-way through. I couldn't help but feel anxiety with every step. The bumpy terrain proved to be more challenging than I had anticipated.

Suddenly, my foot stepped on a loose rock, making me stumble forward. My ankle twisting awkwardly under the weight of my body as I tumbled to the muddy ground. Pain shot through my left leg, causing me to wince and cry out! The sound of my distress echoed through the woods, catching the attention of the group.

"Zoey!" Alice yelled out. "Are you okay?" she rushed to my side; concern etched across her face.

I winced, tears welling up in my eyes. "I... I think I broke my ankle," I managed to say through gritted teeth, my voice filled with pain.

The twins secretly chuckled, and Alice narrowed her eyes at them.

Alice knelt at my side with the guys standing and waiting behind her. Her eyes widened at the sight of my injury. "Oh no, Zoey, it looks so bad. We need to get you some help," she said frantically, and turned instantly to Brett, who looked on without sympathy. "Help her, Brett?!" she retorted.

Brett rolled his eyes and moved towards me, bending down and examined my ankle by removing my boot and sock. Thank goodness I manicured my toes with cherry red nail polish last night. My body jerked as he touched my bare skin, making me feel awkward as he examined my ankle bone and grimaced. "Your bone is not broken, just sprained." He said as his fingers inspected as gently as he could.

"Ouch!" I shouted.

"I'm not even pressing hard." He said, looking at me. "If I did, you could say you broke your ankle then." Why did that sound ominous? He huffed and took charge, scanning the area for a suitable place to rest. He spotted a fallen log a short distance away. He raised me up by my arm and Alice helped me hobble over to it, gently supporting my weight.

Once we reached the log, Brett reached in his backpack, rummaging through its contents. He pulled out two water bottles and handed it to Alice and me. "Here, take small sips and try to stay hydrated," he said, his voice even.

I nodded, taking the water bottle with a trembling hand. I took small sips, trying to calm my racing heart and ease the pain in my ankle that was swelling up.

"Oh, fuck dude." Zack chuckled. "This is what happens when we hang out with human girls. They'll fucking break."

I didn't fully grasp what Zack had said, my mind numbing to the pain that I only felt. Alice knelt beside me. "We should wrap your ankle to provide some support," she suggested, pulling off her scarf and wrapped it around my ankle gently, applying slight pressure to reduce the swelling.

Brett watched with an unreadable face while Claude watched with folded arms. "We can't continue the hike, Brett." Claude said and looked at me with a small smirk. "She's injured."

Brett grunted and nodded.

Mike, always the jokester, tried to lighten the mood. "Well, Zoey, you've managed to turn our hike into a dud." He chuckled, giving me a smug grin. "But don't worry, we've got your back."

I blinked; this was the first time they made me feel wanted. Amid the pain, his reply brought me comfort. I smiled weakly.

"Speak for yourself," Brett grumbled, earning a disapproving look from Alice and turned to Mike. "You're carrying her back home, since you've got her back."

Mike didn't hesitate to slip his arms around my waist.

"Hey!" Zack stepped in. "Mike said we've got her back. He included me, too." He looked at Mike. "I can carry her."

"No, I already got it handled." Mike argued and lifted me up in one swift swoop. Picking me up like I was nothing. I swallowed hard, feeling my body tense up. I never been manhandled like this and, well... Mike smelled earthy this close to him. I might have held my breath.

"Why you're panicking?" he said, amused.

I snapped my eyes at him. "Huh? I-I-I'm not. What are you talking about?"

Your heart is picking three more beats." He answered.

"Why does Mike get to have all the fun?!" Zack whined.

"Shut up!" Brett yelled at the twins. "Let's get moving." He took Alice's hand, and we all marched behind.

My arms gripped Mike hesitantly across his neck tightly as he walked with ease down the rocky path with me in his arms. 

"Fuck," he hissed. "Get that thing dangling from your neck away from my skin will ya." I glanced at his bare chest and noticed my silver necklace touching it. Mike hissed like it stung him. He rolled his eyes. "Anytime would be great."

"Sorry." I said and tossed the necklace to the side of my neck, away from him. Tiny red marks etched his skin. 

The bumpy trail shot unpleasant pains in my ankle and up my leg. I grimaced at each throb, gritting my teeth. "Damn, you're weak." Mike chuckled. "How long would your ankle take to heal?"

I shrugged. "I don't know, maybe two weeks or so. If it was broken, it would've been 6."

"Fuck, that's long," he blurted.

"It's human biology, Mike."

"Well, I'm here for assistance whenever you need it." He smirked with a suggestive wink.

He is flirting with me!

"You do realize I'm older than you, right?" I narrowed my eyes, determined not to be a cougar, even though I was only a year older. "I'm 22 years old."

He chuckled roughly, "age is nothing to us."

I raised my brows with an attentive smirk. "Good to know."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

76.3K 3.7K 75
What if all your life you were told your future was bright? That you were perfect luna-to-be, that the boy you love should according to all signs be...
70.4K 2.1K 43
Iris has had a difficult life, running from her past and living like a nomad. She is not a regular wolf. She curses the Moon goddess for the gifts sh...
295K 8.8K 42
Your basic: Cliche, Kidnapping, Alpha, Mate, Lovey Dovey -Werewolf Book When Sia finds herself searching for her best friend in the local forest, it...
2.1M 54.5K 39
BOOK 1 He hovered over me in silence while I gathered my senses. "Why are you here Deacon?" I finally asked. I heard his gruff sigh before he knelt d...