Land Of Marrow

By TalesByAsh

This tale is about a secret piece of land hidden from most realms , Known as Land Of Marrow . This wasteland... More

Pandora And The Missing Children
Demetri's Manipulation
Trust Me
Welcome To The Land Of Marrow
New Bloods
Untangling
In Need
Legend Of The Cursed Forest
Meanwhile
Daughter Of Vengeance
Lies And Sacrifices
The Crack Of A Whip
Something Wicked This Way Comes
Lost & Found

Consumed

11 1 0
By TalesByAsh

Odys stands and waits for everyone to notice, the more people see him standing the more quiet the space becomes until complete silence.

" Tomorrow is a big day for you all. I know removing the right to mercy might've made this more difficult for some of you, we will be losing people this time around. It is allowed to hurt but make no mistake, this is a test. A test that will show me who is actually loyal to Marrow no matter what. Even if that means killing someone you love. Don't disappoint me. The list of battles will be posted around tomorrow morning, eat, rest. You are all going to need it." Odys speaks loudly and sternly causing quiet muttering to fill the room as Odys sits back in his seat.

I watch him intently, trying to study him. He doesn't look proud but he doesn't look ashamed either. What game is he playing?

The kitchen doors fly open revealing guards carrying trays of food as they make their rounds to each table.

Helena bumps her shoulder gently into mine " Have you witnessed the pits before? "

" No, This is new to me as well." I reply as I begin digging into my food.

Nova's eyes watch me closely as I can feel the concern, to my surprise, I get the feeling her concern isn't just about Elfie. I look up at her as she quickly looks away avoiding my glance causing me to ignore the awkward tension between us for now.

" Who do you think Odys is going to pin me against? It sounds like he wants it to be challenging to kill your opponent, I don't know who that person would be for me." Sciron shrugs

" I fear with Sage missing, I know who my opponent will be." Satica stares at her food, unmotivated to eat.

" I have a feeling I'll be fighting Tisiphone." Demetri says as he takes a bite of a turkey leg before setting it back down, seemingly disgusted by the thought of eating.

" I feel like that would be too easy, from what I've heard, you two hate each other. If I were Odys I'd put you and Pandora against each other." Helena chirps as she raises her eyebrow at her own statement.

Demetri chokes on his food as he spits bits of turkey out onto his plate before looking at me, eyes filled with worry. I look at him mirroring his expression as I place one of my hands on his.

Nova's eyes stay glued onto her food as she eats small bites in silence.

I know what she's thinking, and I feel the pain building in her chest as if it were my own, the thought of her being forced to hurt Elfie is almost too much to bear.

Odys stands once more as he loudly commands. " Nova and Pandora, when you are finished eating I would like a word with you both."

Nova immediately stands not wasting any time, I take one last bite of my food before joining her, feeling Demetri attempt to tug on my hand before I gently pull away refusing to look back. We approach Odys as calmly as either of us can muster as we stand in front of him like soldiers, waiting for an order.

" You two are looking well... considering" Odys smirks

Nova clenches her fist and looks down as I notice Hecate refusing to acknowledge the scenario playing out in front of her. I keep eye contact as I feel my blood begin to boil at the sight of his smug expression. Odys stays quiet for a moment as a look appears on his face, he almost looked impressed.

" I have a task for you two, consider it a special test of loyalty just for you." Odys says calmly as he analyzes our faces seemingly waiting for a reaction.

We only respond with silence and anticipating stares as Odys proceeds.

" I have two guards waiting outside the doors for you, you both will accompany them on a journey. I expect you to return by morning. I would hate to postpone the tournament. It's my understanding it'll be a memorable one." Odys smiles as he raises his eyebrow.

Nova and I nod as we stand silently. Hecate glances our way, I can feel the worry in her stare. I find myself filled with worry as well, but I do my best to push the feeling away as I know we truly have no choice but to obey.

" You may leave now. " Odys orders

Nova begins walking towards the exit as I accompany her outside, just as Odys said two guards obediently stand right outside the doors.

"Let's go." one of the guards says as they both begin making their way toward the gates.

I patiently wait for Nova to say anything but she stays silent. It doesn't take long for us to arrive at the gates as one of the guards whistles causing the gates to slowly open.

" You're coming with me. " One of the guards says as they take my arm guiding me to a horse while Nova is guided by the other guard to a horse of their own.

Nova and I look back at each other as I wonder if her nerves are running as wild as mine. She gives me a small smile and nods, reassuring me everything will be okay. I take a deep breath as the guard helps me on top of our horse.

" Close the gates! " the guard shouts, we begin making our way through the cursed forest as Nova follows closely behind.

After a while, I notice the cursed forest seems larger than it used to feel, it's as if the decay has spread even further than before. I realize I have no idea where we are heading. I try to take in my surroundings but the view begins blending together feeling as if we've been traveling in circles.

" Where are we going? " I ask the guard as politely as I can.

" I'd try to get some rest, we are an hour or so away, it'll make the time go by faster." The guard replies.

I laugh to myself thinking how foolish resting would be at a time like this as if I trust these guards at all, or Odys for that matter.

After being consumed in the cursed forest for what feels like an eternity, the scenery around us begins to change. Dirt... nothing but miles and miles of flat land it seems, not a single tree to be seen beside the rotting ones we just left behind us.

I notice my chest begins to tighten with the fear of not knowing where we are, I look behind me to see Nova sharing a similar expression to my own as she looks around equally confused. We ride for a little longer before I notice what looks to be a camp in the distance.

As we arrive at the camp I notice twenty tents if not more are pitched in a row with weapons and guards littering the area. The guards come to a stop near a post as they quickly hop off their horses tying their reigns to the post.

"Let's go. " The guard commands as they hold out their hand, I reluctantly take the gesture as I climb off the horse.

Nova and her guard catch up with us as Nova and I are stopped in our tracks by the guards.

" Your job is to choose two trainees to be sent to Marrow to officially become a guard. We don't care who you choose, just make sure they can fight." One of the guards command

Suddenly crowds of children make their way out of the tents as a random guard orders them to begin training, each child chooses a weapon before beginning their battles. The guards watching over Nova and I disappear into the crowd before we are left standing alone surrounded by children hurdling weapons at each other.

I stand frozen in place as I watch these children training... training to kill one another, I begin to feel overwhelmed.

" Let's just do what we have to do so we can make it back in time." Nova says somberly

" Are you kidding me? They are kids! " I shout as I watch her analyze the fights.

" I know..." Nova replies as she takes a deep breath

I shake my head in disbelief as I watch in horror until one child catches my eye.

" I know him..." I say quietly as I see this boy swinging around a sword slightly bigger than him.

" What? " Nova asks as she looks at me

" Dion..." I whisper to myself, as I remember the rainy night I spent looking for the little farmer's boy, the pain his mother felt, the riot, all of it comes flooding back.

Something inside of me snaps as I begin running up to the little boy causing him and his sparring partner to stop and look at me. I analyze the innocent little boy I once knew now looking disheveled with scars across his face. The boy's expression is cold as he seems to not recognize me, he shakes his head and raises his sword to continue his training.

" Dion... is that you? " I ask

" Who the fuck are you? " The little boy curses as his expression changes from cold to confused... almost angry.

" It's me, Pandora! We used to live in Lypiménos together, I was your neighbor. " I plead.

" I don't know who the hell you are, I'm trying to train. Do you mind? " The boy snaps

" No, you don't understand I-" Before I can finish Nova grabs my arm and drags me behind a tent.

" What are you doing?" Nova asks as she looks at me trying to figure out what just happened.

" That boy, he and I used to live in the same village, his mother asked me to find him, he went missing and I discovered that he was taken by someone, I was uncovering secrets the lord of my village was keeping from everyone, his mother figured it out as well, she tried to start a riot against the lord...I don't know what happened after that, I was imprisoned, and blamed for starting the chaos, It feels like centuries ago now but I always wondered who..." I stop in the middle of my sentence as I begin putting the pieces of this long-forgotten puzzle together.

Nova stares at me concerned as I come to the realization.

" Oh my god... Nova ... It was Odys. He was taking children." My eyes widen as my thoughts run wild, I begin pacing back and forth feeling overwhelmed.

" Hey, hey. it's okay Pandora just calm down! " Nova attempts to reassure me as she tries to take my hand.

I recoil my hand from hers as I stop and make eye contact with her. "I'm leaving."

" You're what? Where are you going to go? We don't even know where we are!" Nova shouts

" I don't care. I'll find my way. Im going to kill that bastard before he ruins any more lives." I turn my back to Nova as I begin marching my way to the horses before Nova pulls me by my arm forcing me to look at her as tears begin to fill my eyes.

" Think about what you're doing, you cant kill Odys Pandora! " Nova yells as she places both of her hands on my shoulders looking at me as if I'm crazy for even having the thought.

" Why the hell not?! Look what he's done! " I yell back at her

" I know it doesn't feel like it right now, but Hecate told you right? She told you you're important? "

I try to hear Nova's words but my mind is clouded with only one thought. Kill Odys.

" Listen to me, Pandora! Hecate didn't lie to you. You matter to this war more than any of us, If you're lost to the darkness we all will be. If killing Odys is going to steal your light, you cant do it."

I stare at Nova knowing in my heart she's trying to protect me.

" How do I get past this? He's going to kill so many tomorrow and you choose to stand by and watch him? " I begin to feel my eyes watering as I look at Nova defeated.

" We came here to do a job, let's just finish it so we can be there with our friends. We are all struggling, but fighting violence with more violence isn't going to untangle this mess! We have to be smart about this. You know Hecate, she's got a plan. Just trust her. You can't defeat that man alone." Nova begs as I begin to feel the anger subside, leaving only sadness in its place.

" You decide. I can't choose any of these children to be soldiers for that man. " I say quietly as I walk to the horses and wait, refusing to see who Nova picks.

I stare at the cursed forest noticing the dark ground seemingly creeping its way closer to us consuming the brown dirt, I shake my head assuming I'm imagining it. Nova and the guards return to the horses as one of the guards helps me back on the horse eventually joining me.

" Back to Marrow." The guard on Nova's horse commands as we begin galloping our way back through the decaying trees.

The guards applaud Nova and I's choice of child as I ignore their praise.

Nova must've covered for me...

The ride back to Marrow is filled with the guards talking and laughing over pointless things as I'm trapped in my own thoughts feeling terrified of what's to come. The ride feels even longer than before as I'm in and out of sleep until my eyes open to greet the dim light from the sun rising, engulfing the sky.

" Welcome back ladies. " One of the guards chirps as we make our way back through the gates.

I hear Nova groan as she wakes up, stretching her arms above her head before the guards help us off our horses.

" Good work you two, I'll be sure to pass along your compliance to Odys. " A guard says before leaving Nova and I alone on the quiet roads of Marrow.

" Let's go." Nova says

We make our way to our home, as we reach our door there's a piece of parchment stuck to the center of the wood, Nova rips it off and makes her way inside, I follow closely behind her as she stares at the paper shaking her head.

" Let me see." I say as I reach my hand out to Nova.

Nova looks at me with fear in her eyes as she reluctantly hands me the piece of parchment.

I stare at the paper feeling empty as a tear rolls down my cheek wetting the paper as I tightly hold onto it.

The Parchment Reads:

Battle Of The Pits

Invidia - Laverna

Pollo - Mo

Nova - Elfie

Aris - Tisiphone

Kratos - Sciron

Satica - Sage

Helena - Kit

Pandora - Demetri

Meet at the pits at sunrise. Attendance is required, if you do not show up on time you will be hunted and killed on sight. Signed Odys

I continue to stare, knowing this was coming but I wasn't ready for it to feel so real. Nova takes a deep breath whipping away the tears from her eyes.

" We have to go, Pandora, it will be considered sunrise shortly." Nova says somberly.

" I don't know where the pits even are..." I say as I look at her, fear engulfing my entire being.

" I do. Follow me." Nova takes my hand as we walk out of our home together, leaving the parchment on the floor.

We make our way behind Odys's tower revealing a gate hidden behind vines and bushes, Nova gently pushes the gate open revealing a large gated area, stairs completely surrounding a deep concrete hole In the ground stained with blood and broken weapons.

" We're early. Let's find somewhere to sit." Nova says as she guides me to the stands, choosing a row of stairs, hugging a set of large chairs carved from stone it seems.

" Is that where-" I begin to ask before Nova seemingly reads my mind.

" Yeah, Hecate and Odys sit there. "

" I can't believe this is actually happening... " I whisper as I stare at the large pit feeling my fear overwhelm me.

Nova holds my hand tightly, her sweaty palms letting me know she shares my emotions.

Little time passes before the stands begin to fill with guards and god touched.

" Why isn't everyone fighting? " I ask Nova

" Not everyone does. Odys chooses specific people each year. " Nova replies staring straight ahead.

" Why are Elfie and Kit fighting? They aren't God-touched!" I feel myself getting louder as Nova squeezes my hand seemingly telling me to lower my voice.

" This isn't a normal tournament Pandora. This is a punishment. " Nova whispers

I want to ask a million more questions but before I can Demetri, Helena, Satica, and Sciron sit next to us. Demetri sits on the other side of me, without saying a word he wraps his arm around my shoulder attempting to comfort me.

" How are you okay with this? " I ask Demetri, wondering why we are all obeying Odys.

" Im not. " Demetri replies looking down at me before placing a kiss on top of my head.

" None of us are okay with this Pandora, if we fight it, we will end up losing a lot more lives." Satica says as she gives me a sympathetic look before looking down at her feet.

" Don't worry... I'm sure Hecate has a plan. " Nova says.

Helena looks at Nova concerned but stays silent.

" Where's Invidia? " I ask as I scan the crowd for her

"She's fighting first, I overheard the guards talking, Odys is allowing us to say our goodbyes and wish each other luck before each battle. That's probably why Aris, Kratos, and Mo aren't here yet either, they are probably in the huts." Sciron replies

" The huts? " I ask once more

" Each fighter gets a hut beneath us to prepare in, before entering the pits, sharpen swords, tighten boots, you know. " Sciron shrugs

The crowd is eerily quiet as Odys and Hecate make their way through the stands with a few guards by their sides as they sit on the stone-carved seats. I glance their way but neither of them notice me. I see Aris, Kratos, and Mo enter the stands as they find their seats as well before a loud bell begins to ring causing Odys to stand.

" Welcome. Thank you all for attending without a fight. There is plenty of that to come. Our first battle will be between Invidia and Laverna, I will remind all of you, this is a fight to the death. Only one can leave the pits. The rules are simple, you may use your abilities, by any means necessary. The first to fall will determine our victor." Odys takes his seat once more before raising a hand. " Let the tournaments begin! " He cheers as the crowd begins to roar.

Laverna runs out first with her axe in hand, she refuses to acknowledge the crowd as she tightly grips her axe waiting. Invidia appears in the pit on the opposite end holding a sword in her hand as she lifts it into the air waving it around causing the crowd to go wild as they scream and cheer.

" Begin!" Odys shouts

I look over to Hecate begging for her to notice me, I sense she knows Im staring but she refuses to look as she stares straight ahead. I look back down to the pits as I see Laverna charging at Invidia at full speed, she swings her axe aggressively but Invidia blocks her attack with her sword, the force of the impact causes Laverna's axe to fly out of her hands as she looks at Invidia with wide eyes. Invidia charges towards her raising her sword in the air as Laverna closes her eyes seemingly focusing.

" What is she doing? " I shout as I watch in horror

" She's gifted in the art of seduction... my guess is she's trying to seduce her." Sciron chuckles as he shakes his head.

" This is funny to you?" I shout as I stare at him, my eyes full of judgment.

" This is madness, no way Laverna was ever going to beat Invidia. My guess, is Odys planned that. So yeah, It's hilarious, because this whole thing is rigged." Sciron snaps

"Aren't you fighting Kratos? " Helena asks

" Exactly." Sciron replies

The abrupt sound of Invidia's sword causes the crowd to react as the shouting quiets. I look at the pits only to see Invidia covered in blood with a wicked smile spread across her face as she unclenches her first full of blonde hair revealing Laverna's head detached from her body creating a pool of blood. Deafening cheers and screams erupt from the crowd until Kratos stands.

" Have some fucking honor!" Kratos shouts as the cheering dies down a little.

" Congratulations Invidia. You may find your seat in the stands, I ask that Pollo and Mo find the way to their huts. " Odys loudly commands.

Kratos reluctantly takes his seat and buries his head into his hands.

" Those two used to be really close before Laverna met Senick." Nova says as she quickly wipes a tear off of her cheek.

Demetri uses his arm around my shoulder to pull me closer to him but refuses to say anything, I look up at him before laying my head on his shoulder causing him to sigh. There is nothing for us to say unless someone does something... Demetri and I will be down there soon enough.

Some time passes before Mo and Pollo make their way out, Pollo prances around riling the crowd up as Mo looks frightened.

" Begin! " Odys shouts again

Mo pulls out two daggers and begins walking toward Pollo carefully but before Mo can even blink Pollo sends a burst of fiery flames toward him causing Mo to stop in his tracks, without even attempting to fight against it, the flames engulf him entirely, only the screams of his pain fill the pits until...silence.

" See what I mean? Rigged." Sciron scoffs.

Invidia lets out a scream as she begins crying into Aris, she holds Invidia tightly covering her face from the scene, the crowd begins chanting Pollos name as he struts around the pits seemingly unbothered by what he had done.

" Pollo takes the win! Find your place in the stands, Next we have Nova and Elfie. Make your way to the huts." Odys shouts as he claps for Pollo, A mischievous grin spread across his bearded face.

" Come with me? " Nova asks as she gives me a small but faint smile.

" Nova you can't..." I say seemingly out of breath as I watch her stand.

" I have no choice. Aren't you gonna wish me luck? " Nova says as she holds out her hand.

I hesitantly nod as I take her hand and follow her behind the stands to a large staircase going down, we slowly walk down as we enter a dark cement room with weapons scattered across the floor, the smell of metal and sweat burning my nose.

" You can't do this... We can run! I can try to distract the guards and we can get out of here!" I plead as I watch Nova look through the weapons.

" You know that won't work, we'd be putting everyone else's life in danger." Nova replies as she chooses a small dagger as her weapon and runs her finger over the sharp blade before placing it in her pocket.

I stare at Nova unsure of what to say or do, I feel as if the walls are caving in around me as my eyes begin overflowing with tears. Nova notices and approaches me as she pulls me into a tight hug.

" Thank you for accepting me, thank you for everything. " Nova whispers as I choke on my tears holding her as tightly as I can praying to the gods she won't go.

Nova pulls back and places her hands on my cheeks forcing me to look at her. " Listen to me Pandora, no matter what happens out there, you can't let the darkness consume you. Take it from me."

" What if it's meant to? " I croak as tears continue to fall from my eyes dampening her hands

" Then we're all doomed." Nova says softly as she pulls my head closer, placing a kiss on my forehead. " Now get back up there before Odys suspects something."

Nova lets go of me as she turns her back and faces the exit to the pits. I begin walking up the staircase, I stop and look back at her once more.

" Nova..." I say quietly as she turns around to face me revealing her watery eyes. " Thank you for accepting me as well."

Nova smiles as she nods in response, I quickly continue to run up the staircase, and I stumble through the crowd as I make it back to Demetri. I take a seat next to him as I use my shirt to wipe the snot from my nose.

" It's going to be okay Pandora, She's tough as hell." Demetri attempts to reassure me

I Ignore his words as my eyes are glued to the pits, I find myself anxiously picking at my fingernails as my heart feels as if it's going to beat out of my chest.

Nova is the first to walk out, she pays no attention to the crowd as she stands in the middle of the pit empty-handed. A few moments pass before Elfie slowly makes her way out limping, she is visibly injured but the sight of Nova brings a smile across her face as she tries to walk faster towards her before tripping over her own feet. Nova runs up to her and grabs her arm, helping her stand. The crowd watches in silence as Nova pulls Elfie in closely and wraps her arms around her. Odys stands and glares at the girls as Nova's eyes scan the crowd until they find me, making eye contact with me as she refuses to let go of Elfie. A few people in the crowd begin to boo as they become anxious for bloodshed.

" Fucking Fight! " Invidia shouts

Nova smiles at me before closing her eyes, she whispers something to Elfie, and as I try to read her lips, I make out the words; " I love you."

SWISH

The abrupt sound causes my head to snap toward its source as I look at Odys lowering a bow, I feel the blood drain from my face as I look back toward the pit. A large arrow is sticking out of Elfie's back as Nova's wide eyes are peering into my soul. Elfie falls to the ground as blood quickly pools around her, Nova drops to Elfie's body and begins frantically shaking her.

" Oh god, Elfie no! " Nova screams

SWISH

I watch as if in slow motion , another arrow quickly cuts through the air, piercing Nova's chest causing her body to collapse. The crowd gasps as I glance back towards Odys as he lowers his bow once more with a stern look spread across his face. The murmuring and gasping of the crowd blurs in my mind as I look back at the pits, Nova and Elfie lay silently soaking in their blood as it mixes together.

Every sound, every person, blends together. All I can hear is Nova's words... "Don't let the darkness consume you. " Time seems to be standing still as her words echo in my mind. I look back at Odys, he glances over to me as we lock eyes.

" I warned you both what would happen if you disobeyed me again." Odys shouts as a smirk spreads across his face.

Nova's voice in my mind is drowned out by the sound of my own. " What if it's meant to. "

I stand to my feet quickly pulling my dagger out of its usual place that it rarely left, without second guessing I run towards Odys as I hear Demetri shouting behind me.

" Pandora don't!"

I ignore his pleading voice as I thrust my dagger forward forcing my blade deep into the chest of a man who deserves it, I look up wanting to watch the life drain from Odys's eyes as I realize my dagger is pressed into the chest of a guard. Odys steps back staring at me in disbelief as chaos erupts.

Guards begin filling the crowds as Sciron pushes a guard charging towards me off the stands, into the pits. The crowd becomes crazed as people try pushing their way out only to be stopped by more guards, causing the god-touched to try fighting their way out.

I'm forced back into reality as the thunderous sounds of screaming and fighting, fill the arena, another guard begins running towards me as I grip my dagger prepared to take his life until I'm suddenly swept off my feet as Demetri picks me up, throwing me over his shoulder carrying me away from the chaos. I slam my fists into his back as I try to break free as if my attempts had no effect Demetri continues running as he runs through the gate.

" Put me down! " I scream as I continue pounding my fists into him, hot tears burning my cheeks.

Demetri refuses to listen as he runs to my home, barging through the door with ease, and finally puts me down. I try my best to push past him as I head for the door but Demetri pushes me back and stands fiercely, blocking my way.

" What do you think you're doing?!" I shout at him as his eyes darken

"I'm saving you from yourself! What were you thinking?!" Demetri shouts back his face full of concern.

" I was thinking of solving the problem, the person who just killed innocent people! People we have known since we've been here! The person who takes children away from their homes to be trained to kill for his own selfish fucking needs! I was thinking of killing the man who just killed someone I love!!" I scream until my face turns red as tears continue to profusely pour out of my eyes, as I frantically search through my drawers until I finally find the obsidian dagger, I grip the handle of both blades as I stand in front of Demetri.

" That's not you Pandora, I dont want you to experience what taking a life feels like, you aren't meant for that!" Demetri replies calmly as his eyes sadden.

" Who are you to tell me what I'm meant for? I can handle more than you think I can! I am not a fragile little girl, this is me, and I am going to kill him with or without your help." I attempt to get past Demetri but he only pushes me back harder shaking his head.

I point my dagger toward Demetri as his eyes widen. " Move! " I shout. Demetri refuses to move until I shout once more. " I said move!!!"

Demetri reluctantly steps aside.

" You dont think it will change you, but it will. I can't watch you fall down that path." He begs, his voice full of desperation.

" Then don't." I push open the door revealing guards and god-touched alike scattered across the Marrow grounds swinging their weapons at one another, I watch as the chaos spreads like a disease throughout every individual.

I glance up at the top of Odys's tower as I grip my daggers tightly. I'm coming for you.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

131K 11K 55
A war is brewing in The Faerie Realm; it's up to a knight, a prince, and an outcast to stop it. When a sinister and mysterious master takes contro...
18.1K 722 13
A sellsword with a haunting past that follows her every day. Only a handful of people know about it. Every day, her life hangs in a thread. Can she h...
1.7K 1K 52
{{ THIS BOOK IS THE FOURTH INSTALLMENT IN THE TITULAR SERIES. PLEASE READ THE FIRST THREE BOOKS TO BETTER UNDERSTAND THE FOURTH. LOVE Y'ALL ♥}} The...
366 107 43
UPDATES EVERY TUESDAY AND THURSDAY! In the mystical realm of Veridara, Rhea, a witch with untapped potential, unwittingly steps into a prophecy that...