Crack The Job

Af Ink_dreams09

"We should do it." "So... You mean?" He looked confused, trying hard to not misunderstand her words. "Marry m... Mere

Crack the Job - Introduction
1- The Honesty Hangover
2- Hope Shines
4- Feelings Revisited
5- Uncharted Proposal
6- Midnight Conversations
7- Drama Ensues
8- Twisted tales
9 - Odds and Evens
10- To Fake or Not to Fake
11- Play it Well
12- Chaotic First Day
13- Costumed Troubles
14- Status: Married
15- Unspoken Gaze
16- In Between Good and Bad Luck
17- Calling Trouble
18- Hidden Truths
19- Two husbands can keep a secret
20- Between chanced meetings
21- Of Truth and Confessions
22 - The Feeling of Love
23- Magical Surreal Love
24- Frauds, Disputes and others
25- Not another Yellow File

3- The Marriage Deception

220 31 35
Af Ink_dreams09

Siddharth

I couldn't believe my eyes. They fell on her pretty round curious eyes. I noticed her locks falling so prettily round her neck. It was as if I was seeing that same college girl with a wide smile always on her face, her eyes like the shining waves that once made me fall head over heels for her.

"What happened bro?" I turned, startled at his sudden interruption. That's when I realized that Sanjay had been introducing his wife to me, who was looking weirdly at me, her eyes shifting from the cameraman and me. My dumb mind clicked that I was getting in the middle of their photo session.

"Sorry. I .... didn't notice it." Flashing a stupid grin, I quickly pulled Sanjay towards me. "Why didn't you tell me that you invited Payal?" I was annoyed that he never felt the need to inform me.

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Payal? But I don't even have contact with her. It's not like we were close."

"Then what is she doing here?" I pointed towards her. There she stood, her earrings dazzling in the light as she looked up to meet my eyes again.

My nervous impulse worked a little too fast as I turned around in no time, hitting my head against the wall. The fan near the bride and groom played a great role as the curtains beside me, whirled around me when I tried to move. I shoved it away, taking gasps of fresh air.

I noticed my friend shaking his head as if he was done with my deals and his wife looked clearly amused as she watched me struggle with a curtain. How will I ever face anyone? I facepalmed at this ridiculous situation and turned to where Payal was standing.

There was no one.

"Man, you must be kidding me. You told me you are over her. What's this behaviour?"

I looked at Sanjay. "You didn't see her? She came here!"

He rolled his eyes and turned to his wife, whispering sweet things, I assumed. I sighed, getting down the high platform stage of the bride and groom.

I didn't know about anything but I, at least, knew that I saw her for sure. I am pretty sure of that theory. I took long strides towards the entry and exit doors, excusing myself from the people crowding the entrance.

I rushed towards the parking lot but didn't notice anything. She was nowhere to be seen. The little feeling that was ignited was now completely worn off. I sighed at the thought that I missed her again.

"Siddharth, you are here, come have some ras malai." My brother called me with his mouth stuffed with ras malai.

★★★

Payal

I hunched over in a corner, behind the food stall, peeking at Siddharth who came running outside. His eyes searched the place keenly.

I released a sigh of relief when he gave up on his mission of finding me. Now that my brain is working, I remember the groom from my college. He was friends with Siddharth and I barely met him two or three times on campus.

No wonder I didn't remember him at first glance.

As I was about to stand up, I noticed Siddharth coming towards the food stall. My heart thumped loudly against my chest and I felt horror striking the bells near my ears.

I don't want to get caught here.

He stood there, eating the ras malai with a look of absolute bliss on his face. The more I looked at him, the more my insides rolled and the rats inside my stomach groaned in hunger.

I took a couple gasps of breath, waiting for him to leave the counter. Just when I saw him leaving, I felt a hand on my shoulder. "What are you doing?" The high-pitched voice of my sister nearly blasted my eardrums. I looked at her, shocked and startled at the same time.

Of course, I gained the attention of Siddharth and the people around me.

I took the loose end of the saree draped over my shoulder and half-covered my face and ran like a chicken without it's head. In that crazy moment, I stumbled over a table and ended up with an injured toe but I couldn't care less at that moment.

I turned to see my sister standing like a shocked statue before I entered the wedding hall.

★★★

"Wow, that was hilarious!" Shruti shouted over the phone, my anxiety taking over me as her roars of laughter reached my ears.

"It's not funny. I am pretty sure he saw me. What should I do now?" I applied the ointment on my toe, leaning against the window of my room. A gust of breeze made my loose strands of hair fall over my eyes.

"What else? He still doesn't know anything about you. It was a coincidence and as much as I remember, Sanjay was never close to us. No worries girl. You are safe," she giggled. She was surely finding the whole situation funny.

I sighed. "It's not because I am worried or something. Just... I had a feeling." I didn't know why I felt as if something was going to happen. And my hunches told me that it would be related to Siddharth.

"Feeling? I know that." I heard her clap her hands when she continued, "You felt your heart beating loudly and you are overwhelmed right now. Am I right?"

I nodded nonchalantly. "Yes." I was surprised at her accuracy.

"That is what happens when you are single for too long. Want me to hook you up?"

I rolled my eyes. I am mad for even believing her. "Go on your date with Abhiraj."

Unlike me, Shruti was experienced in matters of the heart. She has been dating Abhiraj for the last seven years since the night of our college fest. The day when I rejected Siddharth, she announced her official date with Abhiraj.

Although they never actually proposed, their relationship was clear.

"Siddharth is his friend though. Should I get his number for you?" She was in a great mood of joking and making fun of me.

"Just leave it. Do you want your darling to get beaten up?" I smirked, fully sure that Siddharth wouldn't tolerate this behavior after knowing Abhiraj started dating my friend on the day when he got rejected.

I kind of felt bad for him.

"Then die single. Whatever." I smiled as I hung up the call. I lay down on the bed, staring at the ceiling. What if he had noticed me? What if I had talked to him? Would it have been awkward?

Of course, it would be. I sighed, rethinking about that college fest night. If I had said yes then, what would have happened? Would I have had a real boyfriend then?

"Payal, dinner is ready!" My sister's voice penetrated my thoughts. I ran out to the dining hall and saw my brother-in-law talking over the phone. Slowing down my steps, I walked to the kitchen to offer her a helping hand.

"Jiju, when I get the job, I will go back to my rented apartment and I will also pay you back. Thank you so much for everything." I knew I sounded quite formal right now but I had to say this out loud.

"What... are you talking about? That's all fine," he stuttered before resuming his eating.

As I took a dig at the food, I noticed their worried glances falling over me. Till now, I ignored it, thinking that I must be mistaken but when I saw them whispering and shaking their heads, I noticed something was wrong. "What happened?"

I put down my spoon just when my jiju decided to spill it out without wasting time. "Payal, I guess you have to stay here a little longer." My eyes looked up at him and then turned to Anvita Di who simply looked away. "I will tell you the truth. You can't get the job in the Pegasus Plaza."

My heart dropped to the bottom. "But why? I didn't even go to the interview. So how do you know that there is no chance for me? What's happening?" I busted out.

I had a plan of settling in Mumbai with a stable job and of course, after getting kicked out of my third job, I was losing my hope. And now, this news wasn't helping me.

"Not every job can be suitable for you. You can try looking for other jobs. You will get something. So, just eat now."

I looked at my sister. "But why not here? What do I lack? I need to know."

"You are not married." My brother-in-law paused to look at me, "That's what you lack."

I kept on blinking like an idiot as my sister looked at his husband and back at me, shaking her head. I was as confused as anyone in my situation would be. "You mean I got rejected because I am not married?" I toned down my voice and saw the couple nodding slowly in front of me.

"What kind of a fucking hell!" I stood up and slammed my fist against the table, raising my voice to the maximum point, scaring the couple out of their lives.

"There goes this girl." I heard my sister mumble under her breath. "Hey, sit down first."

After some time, I was fully aware of the situation. Pegasus Plaza is the part of the Star Group- which is one of the leading companies right now. The CEO of Star Group, Dev Ahuja strictly believes in planets guiding us and destroying us. He does everything only after setting the right time for it- a time that will specify good luck.

He is an orthodox believer in religion and decided to get proper advice on a way of handling business so that his business prospers. And there he learnt how only married employees can bring prosperity and sales to his Pegasus Plaza market.

Since then, he always made jobs available only to married people in his market.

"Such a crappy man. Who makes this kind of rule? Is he an idiot?" I uttered my first thoughts after hearing that story.

"Whatever. And Pegasus Plaza contributes twenty -two per cent to the total profit of the group. And it gives profitable results so no one questions it whatsoever."

My brother-in-law further explained how the Star Group totally belonged to the Ahuja family. Every sector of the Group is handled by someone in the family. But as all the three sons of the Ahuja family is right now not married, Pegasus Plaza is managed by a trusted employee.

"But do you want to get the job so badly?" Anvita Di asked, seeing my crestfallen face.

I just needed a job.

"There is one way." My eyes sparkled a bit as I heard my brother-in-law. "How about faking it?"

~•~

Sunday update!

So how was this chapter?

Hope you liked it!

Please do vote, comment and share.

Fortsæt med at læse

You'll Also Like

54.9K 3.1K 49
/BOOK 1 - PROPOSAL SERIES/ ••• "Your body language says you're enjoying yourself" Leo chuckled still glancing at his menu card, Getting no response h...
250K 18K 34
8 different character ,4 different love story connected to each other's. 1st couple A guy who is landlord of many lands workaholic fell in love with...
477K 26.4K 41
~Bhuva Agarwal~ Meet this bubbly and charming girl who brings a smile on everyone's face. Fiesty yet innocent, sweet yet sarcastic, loyal and stubbor...
150K 8.2K 71
" I would never be a second choice to anyone. If I need to compete with someone else for your love, I would gladly make it easier for you by taking m...