To Find Something True

Від _thekimskimchi_

🏆 THE AMBY AWARDS 2023 TOP PICKS - NOVEL FANFICTION CATEGORY 🏆 📚 FEATURED IN THE AMBASSADOR'S NEWSLETTER "... Більше

preface
thanks to; to readers
short info; casts; disclaimer
※ one
※ two
※ three
※ four
※ five
※ six
※ seven
※ eight
※ nine
※ ten
※ eleven
※ twelve
※ thirteen
hints to subplots
i have a question 🥲
※ fourteen
※ fifteen
※ sixteen
※ seventeen
※ eighteen
※ nineteen
※ twenty
※ twenty-one
※ twenty-two
※ twenty-three
※ twenty-four
※ twenty-five
※ twenty-seven
※ twenty-eight
※ twenty-nine
※ thirty
※ thirty-one
※ thirty-two
※ thirty-three
※ thirty-four
※ thirty-five
※ thirty-six
What is Sexual Coercion?
※ thirty-seven
※ pride month special ※
※ thirty-eight
※ thirty-nine (pt. 1)
※ thirty-nine (pt.2 ; BONUS CHAPTER)
※ forty
※ forty-one
※ forty-two
※ forty-three
※ forty-four
※ forty-five
※ forty-six
※ forty-seven
※ forty-eight
※ forty-nine
※ fifty
※ fifty-one
※ fifty-two
※ fifty-three
※ fifty-four
※ fifty-five
※ fifty-six
※ fifty-seven
※ fifty-eight
※ fifty-nine
※ sixty
※ sixty-one
※ final
※ epilogue
letter from Jess to Jiah
Q&A [open]
Special Chapter

※ twenty-six

7 1 0
Від _thekimskimchi_

They left the coffee shop. There were more than five plastic bags in their hands with snacks, coffee, and ice cream for their friends. Seokjin paid them all except for one. Tiramisu that Jiah bought at a bakery for Hoseok.

As they walked, Seokjin spoke, “You looked like you were miles away when we ate.”

Jiah pursed her lips, suppressing a smile. “The wasabi buzzed my brain,” she drawled, making the older man guffaw. “But I was also thinking about the sponsor.”

They passed a mother with a baby in the stroller and smiles formed on their faces. As his smile faded, he said, "That's the problem we have every year. Especially after Jiwoo left us.”

“What’s their connection?” Jiah asked out of the blue. She was aware she shouldn’t ask that. Nevertheless, if it helped her understand the whole situation, she didn't think it would hurt for breaking the rule Yoongi had set for her for the first time.

“Jiwoo is in a relationship with Lee Soohyuk, Kang’s adopted son. And apparently, the family doesn’t favor Jiwoo as they have arranged a marriage for him with someone they have partnered with in business.” Silence again. He inhaled a deep breath and continued, “Soohyuk seemed like a good guy to begin with. He showered and pampered Jiwoo with love. He was the one who made Jiwoo open her boutique at the premise his despicable father owns. And… that’s how the Bejiwoo store ended up in trouble.”

They walked slowly.

“What about the sponsor?” She asked. 

Seokjin seemed to understand the question. “They found out Amber owns an orphanage. They offered her to sponsor their summer vacations, and then–" he turned his head with a defeated face. “The girls were brainwashed by 'good' political statements. Two-faced bitch, you know.”

She blinked. “What makes you say that?”

"Every time they offer a sponsor, they always hold a public party. To show the world they have a positive reputation, obviously. Humble people won’t wander around bragging,” he spat.

The woman shook her head. “We are capable of breaking the ties, aren’t we?”

Seokjin stopped walking, while Jiah who was a step ahead, turned to face the man. “Not when Jung Jiwoo and Lee Soohyuk aren’t here. In any case, they'll kick us out and demand a large amount of compensation. If that happens, we won’t have enough money to rent another place,” he said. “We have stocks and ongoing designs from our manufacturer, to keep the boutique alive. We need to pay them, pay you all, and taxes.”

If they chose to reject the sponsor, then they would be on the verge of bankruptcy.

“That also means, when Bejiwoo is no longer in the business and fashion industry, we have to part ways,” he paused, studying Jiah’s face. There was a glint of coldness and emptiness in his words. “Which is why we’ve been pushing Hoseok into doing stuff we don’t need him to do. We don’t want Jiwoo’s hard work to end in vain.”

That explained why Hoseok has always had a sketchbook with him. With Yoongi and Seokjin as his wings, they pushed him to work on something that could save the store. To keep sketching and sending any potential designs, get them in physical form, and sell them or perhaps, she was wrong about that.

“Hoseok’s also been working hard to find ways to break free from the tie. He’s been sketching for fashion shows. They pay us a huge amount. Good fashion designs could be used for fashion shows, but he needs Amber’s confirmation.” 

Her face filled with puzzles. “Why?” 

“Bejiwoo has a meaning. A display that doesn't match the meaning would be absurd. That’s what she said.” 

Jiah nodded her head slowly. She exhaled a deep breath and said, “But, I don’t understand why they ask for compensation.”

The brown-haired man shrugged. “Me either. It might have something to do with Jiwoo and Soohyuk, I assume.”

They continued their walk. The beige wall of the boutique could be seen on the other side of the road. They only needed to cross the zebra crossing to get to the building. It wouldn’t take long. However, it seemed Seokjin purposely dragged the time by walking slowly, with the woman not wanting to leave him alone.

He spoke again, “You and Hoseok have reconciled, I see.”

Jiah beamed wide and said, “We talked last night. He even sent me home.”

"Hold on." He interrupted their walk. The woman raised her eyebrows at him. “Jung Hoseok sent you home?” He asked. The girl’s head bobbed. "That's... unlikely him," he said, smiling at her nonetheless. 

“It was late when –” she stopped. She couldn’t tell him that she tried to break into the store. Seokjin’s expression bothered her to continue. “It was late when we met.” 

“Oooh.”

“Yup. He talked about baddies and ghosts at night. He didn’t want them to catch me,” she said, giggling at the memory of the words Hoseok uttered that night.

“I’m relieved to see you guys are getting better. I warned the kids to act as if what happened yesterday never happened. Now it seems it is unnecessary.”

Jiah smiled at him, nose scrunching. “Thanks though!”

********** 

Hoseok peeked behind the wall that separated the main area and the office, looking for something. Jiah was talking to Wheein when she caught him at the sight.

Wondering, she glanced around to see Seokjin chomping his gummies as he read something on the desktop. Yoongi was at the pantry, behind the wall, scanning the staff’s schedule.

Wheein was arranging the clothes and hanging them on hangers. Jungkook did nothing but space out with the keyring spinning in his finger. Jisoo was on her counter and Jimin was at the other table, counting and closing the ledger of the day. Taehyung – the customer service representative – seemed to be writing down the customer’s complaints from their website. This was to be sent to Amber and to refer to her regarding each complaint. 

“Are you looking for me?” All eyes shifted to Jiah when they heard, then to the boss. Hoseok became flustered at that.

“N-no," he paused, scratching his covered head. “Gather!” He disappeared into the narrow hall in a blink. 

The staff exchanged glances before halting their tasks and assembling in the meeting room. She heard Seokjin murmur, "That's not Jung Hoseok at all."

As they gathered in the meeting room, the boss was already at his usual seat. No sketchbook in his hand, not even his phone. Just him. All took their seats and he exhaled a deep breath. He looked at them one by one before speaking. “I… I think… we should go on a vacation this spring. After the party.”

All gasped in amusement and amazement except Jisoo, who was squealing. Out of excitement, Jisoo asked, “Where are we going this time?”

“Sarawak,” he said.

Jisoo arched her eyebrows, questioning, “Sarawak again?”

"I want to... replace the bad memories we had there," he said, his small voice trailing behind. “Too bad, Namjoon won’t join us.” 

Namjoon shrugged. “There’s nothing I can do. I have no power to change my exam schedule,” he said, sadly sweeping his glances at his friends one by one. “Say hi to the kids for me.”

Jiah showed him a bitter smile, sensing the weight in his words. However, what her boss said next changed the mood, “uh… it’s just going to be us.”

“Just us?” Seokjin exclaimed. "Are you ignoring the kids now?" 

Hoseok held back a sigh and replaced it with a breathy comment, “No, hyung.” He threw a short glare at the man. “I’ve never ignored the kids.”

Seokjin blinked his eyes multiple times at him. 

“I thought it would be great to go with only us for the first time. For Jiah. She’s part of the family now. Making her first trip as a warm-up is a wise idea. I don’t want to overwork her with the kids,” he calmly stated. Then, his eyes met Jiah's and he smiled. “Is that okay, Jiah? Just us.”

All attention was diverted to her while her view stuck on her boss. With a smile, she said, “Of course.”

Namjoon was heard sighing. “Yeah, right. Too bad I can’t join. It’s going to be fun to have beers with you guys and chat.”

“Maybe next time, Namjoon,” Seokjin said, patting his shoulder. “You’re destined to handle the kids.”

The man in spectacles muttered, "Oh, damn."

**********

The rest of the staff left early, leaving Jiah, Hoseok, and Seokjin to make sure everything was locked, devices and lights shut down and no water tap was left open. After they stepped out of the store together, Hoseok locked the shop. The store had two locks. One at the bottom corner with a security siren, and another one at the doorknob that could be secured with a key. 

She was waiting and watching her boss when Seokjin called, “Lee Jiah.” She tipped her head to the man standing beside her. “We should go for dinner together. My treat.”

Through the reflection of the framed glass on the door, she saw Hoseok freeze. Then, she glanced at Jisoo, who was walking away with the rest. The siblings usually headed home together. She asked, “How about your sister?”

“Ah. She –” Seokjin paused, scratching his forehead. “She’s hanging out with Wheein.”

Jiah uttered a quiet 'ah'. Her eyes then moved to her boss who was still locking the door. She began to wonder what took him long. “Hoseok, do you want to join us?”

Before Hoseok could even respond, Seokjin cut in, “Wait, Jiah. I just want… us.”

Jiah stared at him for a moment. And then, she shifted her gaze to her boss who was slowly getting up. He faced them but smiled at her only. He said, “I thought I could send you home again. But it seems Seokjin can do that today.”

“I think you can –”

“Hey,” he interrupted her, shaking his head with a tight-lip smile. “When two people of opposite sex hang out together, I know what it is–" he shrugged. “I don’t want to interrupt.”

“Jung Hoseok!” Seokjin snapped. “It’s not what you think!”

The shy boss didn’t seem shy at that moment. A knowing smile formed on his lips. “Hitting on my P.A now, hyung?” But the face immediately fell with a wince as a slap from a callused hand reached his arm. “Ow!”

“I said, it’s not what you think!”

Rubbing his throbbing arm, he mumbled, “So cranky, so sensitive.”

“Shut up!” Seokjin’s ears turned bright red as he avoided her and Hoseok’s gazes. Jiah stifled a giggle at the sight.

She curved a smile, a palm extended at Seokjin. “Let’s go,” she cooed.

A shy smile crept across Seokjin’s lips, a hand touched his nape, rubbing it, while his gaze wandered elsewhere.

Hoseok whispered to her, “See that? He’s shy.” Another slap wanted to reach his arm but he avoided it. “Well then. See you tomorrow!” he said.

Jiah and Seokjin nodded their heads.

The boss looked at her, his feet swayed slowly. A light beam on his face. “Bye,” he muttered.

“Bye,” she replied. She watched him walk away. His hoodie covered his head, as usual, and both of his hands were in the hoodie’s pockets. He jogged across the zebra crossing. Loneliness oozed through his back, yet it was obvious to her, that he was trying to mask it.

Her thoughts snapped when Seokjin asked, “What do you want for dinner?"

Jiah hummed, thinking. “I don’t mind anything.”

Seokjin sighed. “Oh, girls. They said anything but ended up disagreeing. C’mon, it’s my treat anyway.”

The young woman threw her head back, laughing. She buzzed for a while before clapping her hands once, facing Seokjin as she said, “Pork belly!”

Seokjin copied her clap and then pointed straight with his index finger. “Let’s get going!”

Продовжити читання

Вам також сподобається

38.3K 2.6K 48
After 2 years of hiding from everyone, Jeon/ Ito Y/N finally became one of the most respected doctors in Japan. While trying to lead her life normall...
156K 6.1K 46
Taehyung is completely devastated upon hearing that Jungkook is getting married in a month. He has always loved the boy but he could never admit his...
683K 23.3K 42
Taehyung is just a simple boy who meets a boy with a strong personality while on a school graduation trip. Two years later, they meet again. Will the...
32.7K 1.2K 125
(COMPLETED) 𝙸𝙽𝚂𝚃𝙰 𝚂𝚃𝙾𝚁𝚈 𝙾𝙵 𝚃𝚆𝙾 𝚂𝚃𝚁𝙰𝙽𝙶𝙴𝚁 𝚃𝙾 𝙻𝙾𝚅𝙴𝚁!!🌹 Social media is one of the media where you found all types of thin...