The Legend Of Mira ◇ Sokka

By CancerDaria

I felt his arms wrap around my waist and I closed my eyes, smiling against his chest. "Thank you," He said. "... More

Prologue
Book 1
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Book 2
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Book 3
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44

Chapter 45

595 18 16
By CancerDaria

"Suddenly, they heard something down the hall, in the dark. It came into the torchlight. And they knew that the blade of wing fun was haunted!" Sokka jumped up from the ground and pointed his sword at the fire.

The five of us were sitting around a fire in the woods during the night. Sokka decided that it would be entertaining to tell some scary stories, because of course that's the best thing to do during the night surrounded by trees and wild animals.

"I think I liked 'The Man with a Sword for a Hand' better," Aang told Sokka.

"Water Tribe slumber parties must stink," Toph commented.

"They don't if you know how to tell a story properly and actually make it scary," I said as Sokka sat back down next to me.

"I'd like to see you try and tell a story," He said, looking over at me.

"No thanks, I don't want to think about ghosts while we're surrounded by whatever is out there in the dark,"  I told him.

"Aw, are you scared, Princess?" He asked me with a playful smirk.

"I'm not!" I said, hitting his arm in reply.

His smirk widened and I rolled my eyes.

"I've got one. And this is a true Southern Water Tribe story," Katara told us.

"Is this one of those 'a friend of my cousin knew some guy that this happened to' stories?" Sokka asked his sister.

"No, it happened to mom," Katara said.

I felt Sokka straighten next to me and I grabbed his hand.

"One winter, when mom was a girl. A snowstorm buried the whole village for weeks. A month later, mom realised she hadn't seen her friend Nini since the storm. So mom and some others went to check on Nini's family. When they got there, no one was home. Just a fire flickering in the fire place," Katara spoke.

I felt Sokka pull me closer to him and he clung onto my waist.

Who's the scared one now, huh?

"While the men went out to search, mom stayed in the house. When she was alone, she heard a voice. 'It's so cold. And I can't get warm.' Mom turned and saw Nini standing by the fire. She was blue, like she was frozen. Mom ran outside for help, but when everyone came back, Nini was gone,"  Katara said.

A shiver ran down my spine at her story.

"Where'd she go?" Sokka asked.

"No one knows. Nini's house stands empty to this day. But sometimes, people see smoke coming up from the chimney, like little Nini is still trying to get warm," Katara said.

Suddenly, Toph gasped.

"Wait. Guys, did you hear that?" Toph asked.

I then felt three pairs of arms wrap around me and I frowned at Katara, Sokka and Aang holding onto me.

"I hear people under the mountain, and they're screaming," Toph told us and my eyes widened.

"Nice try," Sokka said, pulling away from me.

"No, I'm serious, I hear something," Toph insisted.

"You're probably just jumpy from the ghost stories," Katara said.

"It just stopped," Toph told us.

"All right, now I'm getting scared," Aang mumbled.

"Hello, children." We heard a voice behind us say.

We jumped up from the ground and ran over to Toph. For some reason, the four of them hid behind me.

"Why are you all hiding behind me?!" I whisper-yelled as we stared at an older woman in front of us.

I could sense an odd energy around her, she felt incredibly powerful, but I didn't understand why.

"Sorry to frighten you, my name is Hama. You children shouldn't be out
in the forest by yourselves at night. I have an inn nearby, why don't you come back there for some spiced tea and warm beds?" Hama asked.

She kept smiling at me in a weird way and I didn't like it one bit.

"Yes, please," Sokka said and I frowned.

The others nodded at the same time.

Why were they accepting help from a stranger?

◇ ◇ ◇

"Thanks for letting us stay here tonight, you have a lovely inn," Katara said as Hama poured us some tea.

We're sitting in the dining room of her inn and I had to admit that it didn't look like the house of a kidnapper. However, I was still cautious.

"Aren't you sweet? You know, you should be careful. People have been disappearing in those woods you were camping in," Hama said.

"What do you mean, disappearing?" Sokka asked.

"When the moon turns full, people walk in and they don't come out," Hama said and I shuddered.

"Who wants more tea? Don't worry, you'll all be completely safe here. Why don't I show you to your rooms, and you can get a good night's rest?" Hama said and we all nodded.

We followed her upstairs and she showed us to our rooms.

"Can Mira and I, um, share a room?" Sokka asked Hama when it was just the three of us in the hallway.

"Are you sure?" She asked, looking at us.

"Yeah," I told her, nodding and she smiled.

"Alright, go on in there. And no funny business," She said, mostly directing her words at Sokka who quickly nodded.

We walked into the bedroom and Sokka took off his shirt as I layed down on the bed.

I watched as he took off his hair tie, letting his hair fall down over his eyes.

"Have I ever told you how good you look with your hair down?" I asked him as he layed down next to me.

Suddenly, a look of realisation came over him.

"I knew it! You're the one stealing all my hair ties!" Sokka exclaimed.

"I have not!" I denied and he leaned in closely.

"It's not nice to lie to your boyfriend, Princess," He whispered in my ear before peppering kisses down my neck.

I felt a blush coat my cheeks at the action.

I was about to reply to his words when there was a creaking sound coming from the door.

Sokka quickly reached for his sword and looked around the room before sighing.

"This place is creepy," I mumbled and he looked at me.

"It's probably as old as that woman," Sokka said in reply and I slapped his arm.

"Now that's rude," I said.

"Hey, I'm just saying the truth!"

◇ ◇ ◇

"Wakey-wakey! Time to go shopping," Hama said as her and Katara stood above our bed.

I opened my eyes with a groan. I hated waking up early.

A few minutes later, I was standing in front of a market stall next to Hama and Katara.

"That Mr. Yao seems to have a thing for you. Maybe we should go back and see if he'll give us some free komodo sausages," Katara suggested.

"I like the way you think," I told Katara and she grinned at me.

"You would have me use my feminine charms to take advantage of that poor man? I think you two and I are going to get along swimmingly!" Hama exclaimed, smiling at the two of us.

Perhaps she wasn't as creepy as I thought. She really could just be an old and kind woman who welcomed some children into her inn.

"Why don't you all take those things back to the inn? I just have to run a couple more errands. I'll be back in a little while," Hama told us.

"This is a mysterious little town you have here," Sokka stated.

"Mysterious town for mysterious children," Hama said before walking away.

We returned to the house and placed all the food down on the dining room table.

"That Hama seems a little strange. Like she knows something, or she's hiding something," Sokka said.

"That's ridiculous. She's a nice woman who took us in and gave us a place to stay. She kind of reminds me of Gran-Gran," Katara said.

"But what did she mean by that comment about 'mysterious children'?" Sokka asked.

'Gee, I don't know. Maybe because she found five strange kids camping in the woods at night. Isn't that a little mysterious?" Katara said.

"Well, she seems nice, although I can sense some weird energy around her," I said and they both turned to look at me.

"What do you mean?" Sokka asked.

"When we first met her I felt some powerful energy surrounding her, like really powerful. I have never felt anything like that from someone," I told them.

"See! Creepy energy!" Sokka exclaimed.

"But I could be wrong," I said, shrugging.

"I'm gonna take a look around," Sokka told us as he started walking up the stairs.

"Sokka! Sokka, what are you doing?! You can't just snoop around someone's house," Katara said.

"It'll be fine," Sokka told his sister.

"She could be home any minute," Aang said as Sokka opened doors and various cabinets in the hallway.

"Sokka, you're gonna get us all in trouble. And this is just plain rude!" Katara said.

"I'm not finished yet," Sokka said as he pulled two doors open.

Suddenly, a few dolls fell out and Sokka stumbled into me as he pulled his sword out.

"Okay, that's pretty creepy," Aang commented.

"So she's got a hobby. There's nothing weird about that," Katara said as she closed the doors.

"Sokka, stop. You've looked around enough. Hama will be back soon and she will kick all of us out," I told him.

"You're the one who said this place was creepy," He said as he walked up another flight of stairs.

"That doesn't mean I want to snoop around!"

He ignored me and tried to pull open a door.

"Just an ordinary, puppet-loving innkeeper, huh? Then why does she have a locked door up here?" Sokka questioned.

"Probably to keep people like you from looking through her stuff!" Katara snapped.

"We'll see. It's empty except for a little chest," Sokka told us as he looked through the keyhole.

"Maybe it's treasure," Toph gasped and Sokka's eyes widened.

"Mira, try to open this door with your super strength," He said.

"No, Sokka. I don't want to invade another person's privacy. Besides, it will be obvious if her door is broken," I told him.

He sighed before pulling out his sword and moving it around the keyhole.

"Sokka, what are you doing? You're breaking into a private room!" Katara looked at her older brother in disbelief.

"I have to see what's in there," Sokka replied as he opened the door and stepped inside.

"We shouldn't be doing this," Aang said.

Sokka picked up the chest and tried to open it without any success.

"Maybe there's a key here somewhere," Sokka said.

"Oh, hand it over," Toph said.

She took off her meteor bracelet and bended it into a key. She put it inside the keyhole and moved it around.

"Come on, come on," Sokka urged.

"This isn't as easy as it looks."

"Guys, I don't know about this," Aang said.

"This is crazy, I'm leaving," Katara said and I nodded before following her.

"Suit yourselves. Do it, Toph," Sokka said.

I heard the key click and Katara and I were over by the chest in a split second.

Our curiosity had gotten the better of us.

"I'll tell you what's in the box," We suddenly heard Hama say.

The five of us gasped and turned around to face her.

Sokka handed her the box and we looked at her hand in anticipation as she took out a . . . comb?

"An old comb?" Sokka asked, his tone filled with disappointed.

"It's my greatest treasure. It's the last thing I owned from growing up in the Southern Water Tribe," Hama said and all of our eyes widened.

"You're from the Southern Water Tribe?" Katara asked.

"Just like you," Hama said.

"How did you know?" Katara questioned.

"I heard you talking around the campfire. And I know that you're from the North," Hama said, directing her last words at me.

My eyes widened at her statement. How could she know something like that?

"But why didn't you tell us?" Sokka asked.

"I wanted to surprise you. I bought all this food today so I could fix you a big Water Tribe dinner. Of course, I can't get all the ingredients I need here, but ocean kumquats are a lot like sea prunes, if you stew them long enough," Hama said.

I smiled as I thought about the dish I had only tried a few months ago. However, when I looked at Aang all I could see was digust on his face.

"I knew I felt a bond with you right away!" Katara exclaimed.

"And I knew you were keeping a secret. So I guess we're both right!" Sokka said.

Katara elbowed him and Sokka looked at Hama apologetically.

"But I'm sorry we were sneaking around," Sokka said.

"Apology accepted. Now let's get cooking."

◇ ◇ ◇

The six of us sat down at the dining table and Hama placed a large bowl filled with soup in front of her.

"Who wants five-flavour soup?" Hama asked and we all raised our hands.

Suddenly, Hama raised her hand and waterbended the soup into each of our bowls.

We all looked at her with shocked looks on our faces.

"You're a waterbender! I've never met another waterbender from our tribe," Katara said as a smile lit up her face.

"That's because the Fire Nation wiped them all out. I was the last one," Hama explained, looking down at the table sadly.

"So how did you end up out here?" Sokka asked.

"I was stolen from my home. It was over sixty years ago when the raids started. The Fire Nation came again and again. Each time, rounding up more of our waterbenders and taking them captive. We did our best to hold them off, but our numbers dwindled as the raids continued. Finally, I, too was captured. I was led away in chains. The last waterbender of the Southern Water Tribe," Hama told us.

Katara stood up and walked over to hug Hama who stared down at her bowl.

"They put us in terrible prisons here in the Fire Nation. I was the only one who managed to escape," Hama said.

"How did you get away? And why did you stay in the Fire Naton?" Sokka questioned.

"I'm sorry. It's too painful to talk about anymore," Hama said.

"We completely understand. We lost our mother in a raid," Katara mumbled.

Sokka looked away as Katara spoke of their mother and I took his hand in mine under the table.

"Oh, you poor things," Hama said.

"I can't tell you what it means to meet you. It's an honour, you're a hero," Katara said.

"I never thought I'd meet another Southern waterbender. I'd like to teach you what I know so you can carry on the Southern tradition when I'm gone," Hama said.

"Yes, yes, of course. To learn about my heritage, it would mean everything to me," Katara said as she bowed to Hama.

"And I'd like you to join too. Maybe one day you can teach the other Northerners the Southern ways of bending," Hama said, looking at me.

I smiled.

"I would love to."

◇ ◇ ◇

"Growing up in the North and South Poles, waterbenders are totally surrounded by snow and ice and seas. But as you probably noticed on your travels, that isn't the case wherever you go," Hama spoke as her, Katara and I walked through a field of flowers.

It was the next day and Hama woke us up early so she could teach us her style of waterbending.

"I know! When we were stranded in the desert, I felt like there was almost nothing I could do," Katara told Hama.

"That's why you have to learn to control water wherever it exists," Hama said.

"I've even used my own sweat for waterbending," Katara said.

"That's very resourceful, Katara. You're thinking like a true master," Hama told her, making Katara smile at the compliment.

"But did you know you can even pull water out of thin air?" Hama said before bending water from the air.

Katara gasped from next to me and I looked at the bending with a smile. I had seen Kairi pull that trick before and I had forgotten all about it up until Hama had done it.

"You've got to keep an open mind. There's water in places you never think about," Hama said before throwing the ice shards she had formed against a tree.

I looked around at the sky and took in a deep breath before feeling the particles of water around me and bending it out of the air.

Hama looked at me with a wide smile.

"Very impressive, Mira. You're a quick learner," She said and I smiled back at her.

"Wow, these flowers are beautiful," Katara suddenly said as she looked at the scene before us.

"They're called fire lilies. They only bloom a few weeks a year, but they're one of my favourite things about living here. And like all plants, and all living things, they're filled with water," Hama spoke.

"We met a waterbender who lived in a swamp and could control the vines by bending the water inside," Katara told the older woman.

"You can take it even further," Hama said before bending the water out of the flowers and slicing through a rock next to us.

"Wow," I mumbled, admiring her unique bending techniques.

"That was incredible! It's a shame about the lilies though," Katara said, looking at the dead flowers surrounding us.

"They're just flowers. When you're a waterbender in a strange land you do what you must to survive. Tonight, I'll teach you both the ultimate technique of waterbending. It can only be done during the full moon, when your bending is at it's peak," Hama told us.

"But isn't that dangerous? I thought people have been disappearing around here during the full moon," Katara said.

"Oh, Katara. Three master waterbenders beneath a full moon? I don't think we have anything to worry about."

◇ ◇ ◇

"Can you feel the power the full moon brings?" Hama asked Katara and I as we walked through the woods under the full moon.

"For generations, it has blessed waterbenders with its glow. Allowing us to do incredible things. I've never felt more alive," Hama said.

I could see her veins pulse as she moved her hands towards the sky.

That was creepy.

"What I'm about to show you I discovered in that wretched Fire Nation prison. The guards were always careful to keep any water away from us. They piped in dry air, and had us suspended away from the ground. Before giving us any water, they would bind our hands and feet so we couldn't bend. Any sign of trouble was met with cruel retribution," Hama told us.

"And yet, each month, I felt the full moon enriching me with its energy. There had to be something I could do to escape. Then I realised that where there is life, there is water. The rats that scurried across the floor of my cage where nothing more than skins filled with liquid. And I took years developing the skill that would lead to my escape. Bloodbending," Hama said.

My eyes widened at her words and Katara looked at me, her face just as shocked.

"Controlling the water in another body. Enforcing your own will over theirs. Once I had mastered the rats, I was ready for the men. And during the next full moon, I walked free for the first time in decades. My cell unlocked by the very guards assigned to keep me in. Once you perfect this technique, you can control anything or anyone."

"But to reach inside someone and control them? I don't know if I want that kind of power," Katara said.

"The choice is not yours. The power exists. And it's your duty to use the gifts you've been given to win this war. Katara, they tried to wipe us out, our entire culture, your mother!" Hama exclaimed.

"I know," Katara mumbled.

"Then you should understand what I'm talking about. We're the last waterbenders of the Southern Tribe. We have to fight these people whenever we can. Wherever they are, with any means necessary."

My eyes widened as I slowly pieced everything together.

"Wait a minute. It's you. You're the one who's been making people disappear during the full moon," I said.

"They threw me in prison to rot along with my brothers and sisters. They deserve the same. You must carry on my work," Hama said.

"I won't, I won't use bloodbending and I won't allow you to keep terrorising this town!" Katara shouted.

Suddenly, her body twisted in an odd way and she began to scream.

"Mira, help me. With bloodbending you can become more powerful than you could ever imagine," Hama said.

"No! Leave Katara alone!" I shouted.

I then felt my own body be controlled and I gasped.

"You should have learned the technique before you turned against me. It's impossible to fight your way out of my grip. I control every muscle, every vein in your body."

Hama moved us around as though we were puppets.

"Stop, please," Katara begged, her eyes filled with tears as she was brought to her knees.

I managed to take in deep breaths and I felt a wave of power come over me.

I slowly stood up and Hama's eyes widened.

"You failed to remember that you're not the only one who draw power from the moon. I am more powerful than you will ever be, Hama. Your bloodbending doesn't work on me," I told her before gathering water from the plants around us.

I sent two waves of water in her direction, one coming from each side.

She quickly redirected them my way and I froze them before they could hit me.

I bended some water from the ground underneath Hama and I tripped her using some ice.

"We know what you've been doing, Hama!" I suddenly heard Sokka's voice shout.

"Give up, you're outnumbered!" Aang shouted.

"No! Get out of here and take Katara with you!" I yelled back to them.

They didn't know about Hama's bloodbending and I knew that they wouldn't be able to stand it.

"No. You've outnumbered yourselves," Hama said.

She then bloodbended Sokka and Aang towards me. I quickly moved away before they could hit me and the two of them landed next to Katara.

I sent a blast of water at Hama who turned it into ice shards and imbedded them into the earth.

"Mira, watch out!" Sokka yelled.

I spun around to see Sokka swinging his sword in my direction.

"It's like my brain has a mind of its own!" Sokka shouted.

He came near me and I used my waterbending to freeze his body to a tree.

"I'm sorry, Sokka, " I shouted to him.

"It's okay. It's a little cold though!" Sokka said.

I then turned to see both Aang and Katara coming at me at a fast speed.

I gathered more water and bended both of them into a tree.

"Don't hurt your friends, Mira. And don't let them hurt eachother!" Hama cackled like a witch.

Katara, Sokka and Aang were then pulled away from the trees and they rushed at eachother.

Sokka's sword was about to touch Aang when the three of them dropped to the ground.

I suddenly heard Hama gasp and my own eyes widened at what I was doing.

I was bloodbending with my brain without even realising it.

"H-how?"

I imagined her falling to the ground and her own body followed my thoughts. I stepped forward.

"I told you Hama. I am the most powerful waterbender in the world and you are no match to me," I said as I bended her against a tree.

I then felt a group of bodies running up the hill towards us. It was like I could feel the liquid in their bodies.

I felt powerful, like I could control anyone. However, I couldn't let such a feeling consume me.

A few seconds later, the group of villagers appeared in front of us with Toph leading them.

"You're going to be locked away forever," One of the villagers said as he put handcuffs around Hama's hands.

"My work is done. Congratulations, Mira. You're a psychic bloodbender," Hama cackled as she was dragged away by the villagers.

I sat on the ground and stared up at the moon.

"Are you okay?" Sokka asked me as my friends all sat around me.

"I am, I just don't like this new feeling," I mumbled and he wrapped his arms around me.

"What feeling?" Katara asked me.

"Like I can control and hurt anyone whenever I want."

◇ ◇ ◇

So, Mira is officially a bloodbender, a psychic bloodbender to be exact. I've wanted to write this chapter since the beginning of book three and I'm so happy I finally did.

I was originally going to make Mira fight Hama with her waterbending to show how powerful she was just with water, but I couldn't pass the opportunity of her becoming a bloodbender.

Do you think Mira will be able to stick to her morals or will she use her bloodbending again?

Anyways, I'm not sure if I'll manage to update next week but I'll try. I have exams coming up so wish me luck!

Daria

01/06/2023

Please comment and vote!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

13.8K 568 20
ᵃ ᶻᵘᵏᵒ ˣ ʳᵉᵃᵈᵉʳ - 𝐂𝐨𝐦𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐭𝐞𝐝 - "𝙺𝚎𝚎𝚙 𝚒𝚝 𝚊 𝚜𝚎𝚌𝚛𝚎𝚝..𝚙𝚕𝚎𝚊𝚜𝚎?" 𝙸 𝚕𝚘𝚘𝚔𝚎𝚍 𝚊𝚝 𝙸𝚛𝚘𝚑 𝚜𝚌𝚊𝚛𝚎𝚍. ➪ A story about a y...
109K 2.5K 22
COMPLETED! 'Aya's my angel and I'm never letting her go.' After seeing Azula strike Aang with her lightening, Aya's entire world fell into a black h...
119K 3K 72
➼ new version!! [Fire Meet Gasoline] Jasmine's life turned upside down after she and her siblings had found a strange boy frozen in an iceberg who la...
17.5K 688 28
𝙚𝙫𝙚𝙧𝙮𝙗𝙤𝙙𝙮 𝙩𝙚𝙣𝙙𝙨 𝙩𝙤 𝙙𝙞𝙨𝙖𝙜𝙧𝙚𝙚 𝙤𝙣 𝙟𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙝𝙤𝙬 𝙚𝙫𝙞𝙡 , ...