•Far Away• ♡amelia shepherd♡

By riawr1tess

"you make me feel different. different than when i've met other people, just... different." or in which ameli... More

cast
warning
♧ideas♧
1
2
3
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
New Book!
New Book!
on hold.

5

1.5K 64 25
By riawr1tess

12x04
Old Time Rock and Roll

Ophelia walked out of her room, greeted with the sight of an intern walking of Maggie's room, shirt not buttoned.

"Well... this is awkward." Ophelia said, crossing her arms and pursing her lips.

Amelia walked up beside Ophelia. "Well, good morning." She said flirtatioulsy. Ophelia turned to look at her, jealousy in her eyes, but thankfully Amelia didn't see.

DeLuca pulled his shirt across his chest awkwardly, and Amelia left walking into the bathroom to get a shower, leaving the two surgeons standing awkwardly in the hallway.

"I'm just gonna..." Ophelia said, gesturing to her room, before entering it, sliding against the door to sit on the floor, head in her hands.

"You said you were drunk. Can I at least ask if you used a condom?" Amelia asked as her, Maggie and Ophelia got in the car, Ophelia in the middle with the two women on either side of her.

"Shut... up." Maggie said aggresively.

"Merry, can you save me from this awkward situation, please?" Ophelia asked, leaning forward to look at Meredith, "I hate being in the middle of things, and I'm literally in the middle of them right now."

"Look, there is a jumbo box of condons under the bathroom sink. I share, they are for everyone." Amelia told Maggie.

"'Jumbo'? Seriously?" Alex asked incredulously.

"I was being optimistic." Amelia said sadly.

"Wait," Meredith said, realizing something, "That was you making all that noise last night?" She asked, turning to face Maggie, "I thought that was Amelia and-"

"Okay, that's enough talking." Ophelia cut her off. Meredith looked at her curiously, beofre turning back to Maggie.

"Well, you aren't shy. And you have a filthy mouth." She smirked.

"Okay, can we not talk about this? Please, I am begging you." Maggie said.

"So, the intern was good in bed." Amelia said, smirking. Ophelia turned to Maggie and grinned teasingly.

"Intern? What intern? Maggie, what intern?" Meredith asked, laughing.

"Alex can hear us!" She tried to reason.

"Alex doesn't care about this. Do you care, Alex?" Meredith asked. Ophelia leaned forward again and vigorously shook her head at him.

"Do I care about any of this conversation? No." He said, ignoring Ophelia.

"Did he visit lady town?" Amelia asked seriously. "Because I find if they don't go down to lady town the first time, there should be no next time."

"Going to lady town's good, especially when it's done by a lady." Ophelia said seriously.

"Amelia's right about that." Meredith put in.

"No more talking!" Maggie yelled. "If any of you says another word, I will jump out of this car while it is moving. And lady town is just as bad as lady place." She threatened.

"So sensitive."

"Just trying to be nice."

"Bit drastic, but OK."

"Hey, what time do you want me at your house tonight?" Alex asked

"Why are you coming to my house tonight?" Meredith asked, confused.

"You're having a dinner party." He said.

"Oh, the dinner party. No, that's not tonight." Amelia told him.

"No that's weeks away. It's on the-" Maggie said.

"Dinner party's on the 14th, Alex." Meredith finished for her.

"Hate to break it to you, Merry, but it is the 14th." Ophelia said, Meredith turning to her in shock.

"You people need adult surpervision." Alex said, unpausing his music.

"He didn't mean it. I mean, you don't just toss the word "divorce" out there like that. It was just the heat of the moment right?" April said to Arizona and Ophelia.

"You sound like you're trying to convince yourself." Ophelia muttered, earning a slap on the arm from Arizona.

"Maybe he was just mad, or-" Arizona tried to say.

"I'm the one who's mad!" April pointed out, "Divorce? No, I refuse to accept it. Refuse."

"Do you think he's going to that thing tonight?" Arizona asked her.

"Oh, god. Probably." April sighed, "Are you going? Please tell me at least one of you is going."

"I kind of have to be there, I live in the house." Ophelia pointed out, and April heaved a sigh of relief.

"I don't know. I mean, Callie's gonna be there." Arizona said.

"Since when has that been an issue?" April asked.

"It's not. It's just, I don't want to make her new girlfriend feel uncomfortable." She reasoned, "You know, intimidated by me. I mean, if she's even bringing her. I don't know if she's bringing her, do either of you?"

"Well, she's right over there, do you want me to ask her if she's bringing her girlfriend?" April asked.

"Yes, please." Arizona said gratefully.

"You ask about Jackson, I'll ask about Penny." Aprik bargained.

"I dated a Penny once in med school. She cheated on me though." Ophelia said as they walked over.

"Hey, um, about that thing tonight," Callie said as she ran over to the trio. "I'm not so sure any of them cook, no offense, Ophie." She said.

"None taken, although I do make a pretty good turrón, if I do say so myself." The Latina said.

"I will have to try it sometime. Anyway, should I bring food, just in case, so none of us starve?" She asked them.

"You know, I think it's gonna be fine. Um, do you know if... do you if Jackson's coming tonight?" Arizona asked, being really obvious about it.

"No idea." Callie said. She gave Ophelia a curious glance, but she just shrugged her shoulders.

"Are you bringing Penny?" April asked.

"Oh. I hadn't... I didn't know if you'd be OK with that. And, uh, yeah, I didn't want it to be awkward or uncomfortable for her, you know?" Callie said to Arizona.

"OK? Me? Oh, I'm fine. Are you kidding? No, bring her. Totally." Arizona said. Ophelia looked April with a strained smile and wide eye, and April looked back at her with raised eyebrows.

"Bring her, 'cause, I mean, I want to meet her. I mean, I think we all want to meet her." Arizona continued, laughing awkwardly. "Yeah, I mean not just me. Mostly me, 'cause I-"

"I know that I would really love to meet her." April said, saving Arizona from her embarassment.

"Me too." Ophelia said.

"I will see if she's available." Callie said, looking between the three women in front of her.

"Cool." Arizona said, nodding. Callie walked off, and Arizona sighed. "See? I can do this." April and Ophelia both gave her incredulous looks. "I can do this. I'm excited. It's cool, I'm cool.

"Yeah, cool people don't say they're cool." April said, grabbing Ophelia's hand and dragging her with her.

"We're about to get hit with a silver flood. I need fibre-optic intubation on standby for each bed." Owen ordered as he walked through the ER, Ophelia following at his heels.

"I haven't seen a sliver flood in ages." She told him as she tied her trauma gown.

"Well, today's your lucky day." He said, helping her finish tying her traume gown as she was struggling.

"Why do you need a code word for a bunch of old people?" DeLuca asked as Ophelia came to stand beside Ben.

"What? We're not old people. We're senior citizens." A woman on a bed near them said. The rest of the patients began to cause a fuss at those words.

"Look, you've successfully angered Maggie and all of our patients in one day. Good job." Ophelia said sarcastically, patting DeLuca's back with her gloved hands.

"Have fun with that." Ben told him, before walking off and leaving the pair with very angry senior citizens.

Ophelia watched as Cross met Eddie's son. She watched as he told him that his father was dead.

"He had a heart attack." Cross told him.

"Is he alright? Can you take me to him?" The man asked.

"No, I can't. I can't." Cross replied. Ophelia set down her pen and looked up from the chart she was working on.

"What do you mean, you can't? Just tell me where he is." The son demanded.

"Your father is... He... He passed away." Cross finally forced out.

"What?" The man asked, not believing what he was hearing.

"We think he lied about the medication he was taking." The intern said. Ophelia's breath hitched, knowing that was the wrong thing to say.

"What are you talking about? He's dead?" The son asked. "My father is dead?"

"Please just come with men, and we can find someone who can-" Cross pleaded.

"Don't you touch me!" The man cried, pushing Cross to the floor. Ophelia pushed of the nurses station and rushed over to help.

"Sir, I'm going to need you calm down-" she tried to say, but the man turned around and punched her across the face, his ring cutting her cheek.

Owen rushed forward, sensing that the situation was getting out of hand. "Sir, sir." He pleaded.

Ophelai's ears were beginning to ring, and she could tell that Owen had the situation under control, and that he was telling her to go somewhere, but she didn't register any of it, until someone gently pulled her arm to move her out of the way.

"Hey, Oph," April said gently, "Let's get you cleaned up, okay?" Ophelia nodded, and let April take her hand and lead her to one of the empty beds.

Once April was finished stitching Ophelia's cheek, she kissed her forehead and left to look after her patients, Owen walking up to her soon after.

"Hey, Lopez, took quite a hit there, huh?" He said, sitting beside her. Ophelia nodded, laying her head on his shoulder. He wrapped an arm around her back, and placed his head on top of hers, waiting until she was ready to leave.

"Last time I was hit like that, I was 16." She said. Owen looked at her. "I was at camp, and the priest didn't think the work I had done was sufficient enough, and when I tried to explain that I had just done what he had told me to he-" Ophelia broke off as her voice broke, and swallowed thickly. Owen squeezed her shoulders and gently led her to the family room.

"There were 40 passengers on the bus, 8 of them died en route." Owen said to the interns in the family room. Ophelia was sitting in a chair, Owen hovering beside it protectively. "We've lost 6 in the ER already, and many more are in surgery or in critcal care in the ICU.

"All of these people's family are on their way to the hospital right now. When they get here, you will be responsible for informing them that their loved ones have died." He told them. Ophelia looked up at him, shocked he would give such inexperienced people a task like that.

"Why us?" An intern asked.

"Because, after what I've seen today, you clearly need to practice." He looked pointedly at Cross, who looked down, and then his eyes softened as he looked at Ophelia, who was in her own world.

"Now, there are four steps to this. Location, language, body language, and leave." He said to them. "We think of them as the four L's.

"The first L; location. Bring them to a quiet, comfortable place where they won't be disturbed." He said.

It went on like that for a while, Owen taught them the three L's went with them to see how they were doing, before coming to back check on Ophelia, who had been told not to assist in any surgeries that day after the incident involving Eddie's son.

Ophelia had been told to go get some blankets for the grandkids of the patients who had died from the store, so she went to get some, but when she walked in, she was greeted with the sight of Arizona and April crying, and was very confused.

"Are you guys okay?" She asked.

"Abe died!" Arizona cried, sobbing even harder. Ophelia looked to April for an explanation, but all she got was "Jackson wants a divorce!"

Ophelia grabbed the blankets, and left, very confused by the two sobbing women in the linen cupboard.

Ophelia walked back to the family room, seeing a very angry Meredith yelling at Owen.

"Meredith? You OK?" Ophelia asked. Meredith turned her head around, and upon spotting the stitch done by April on Ophelia's cheek, she turned back to Owen.

"Is that what you meant by 'something happened with Ophelia'?" She demanded.

"Well, why don't you tell them how to do it then?" Owen asked her. Meredith turned to him, lifted her pager and typed out a message.

Soon enough, every intern was back in the family room.

"When you walk into a room to tell someone that they're loved one has died, it's more than just a list of bullet points you've memorised. Yours is the face they will remember for the rest of their life.

"They were fine before they met you. They picked up their children from school, they made dinner, and they got a call. The police showed up at thier door and brought them here, with those children, to this room, so that you can give them the worst news of their entire life.

"You are changing this person's life forever. You are responsible for this moment." She let herself lean on the back of one of the arm chairs, "For the instant that person goes from wife to widow is you. All you. Nobody but you. So, this person isn't an inconvenience. They are not a box on a list to be checked off. You are a part of their life now.

"Your words, your face. So take that seriously, and recognize the importance of your role. And respect the fact that that person's pain is the biggest thing in the room. You got it?" She finished off. Ophelia looked at Meredith from her position on the couch, knowing that that speech was purely about Derek.

Ophelia was wearing a black top, with a slit across her chest that showed her cleavage, and some skinny denim jean, and to be completely honest, Amelia was finding it very distracting.

At home, it was complete chaos as they tried to cook dinner, as the guests were beginning to arrive.

"No, those are for the guests!" Amelia protested as Alex took some food off the plate she was carrying.

"Yeah, we came early to eat the best part." He argued, Jo walking off with him.

"Hey, where's Maggie? She was supposed to be here with the ice and people are already showing up." Meredith asked Ophelia and Amelia.

"Maggie got held up at work, she said she's on her way." Amelia told her.

"The dryer finished a little bit early, but the tablecloth's still a little bit damp." Stephanie said, walking up to the pair. She cast a glance at Jo, and the resident's smile fell from where she was sitting with Alex.

"It's fine. Just put it on the table." Ophelia said. Stephanie left to go put the tablecloth on the very empty dining table.

Ophelia followed after her, sitting between Arizona and April on the couch. The redhead and the Latina watched as Arizona chugged the remainder of her wine, jumping up to get some more.

The doorbell rang, and Meredith jumped up to get it.

"Merry, I can get it, you help in the kitchen-" Ophelia said, following her into the hall.

Meredith ignored her and opened the door, revealing a very happy Callie and Penny.

"Hi, Meredith, Ophie. This is Penny." Callie said, introducing Penny to the pair.

Ophelia's face fell as she looked at Penny, realising that it was indeed the person she knew.

The Penny that cheated on her in med school.

--------

2633 words.

duh duh duhhhhh. Next chapter out next saturday :)

its the dinner episode next...

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.9K 333 32
Aurora 'Rory' Grey had just gotten back to Seattle after disappearing for months. But when she returns she noticed a new woman working named Amelia S...
546K 14.4K 50
i don't really like to talk about iraq {lowercase intended} oc x mark sloan ©olivia simpson 2020
43.4K 1.6K 16
You're holding me like water in your hands. grey's anatomy s1━s9 mark sloan & female oc
155K 3.9K 34
This is a fanfic based on Kai Bartley and Amelia Shepherd from Grey's anatomy. It's a work of fiction and begins some time after 18x03 of Grey's. [1]...