Miss Dial

By Mystic_Raven20

Adrien Agreste has always considered Marinette Dupain-Cheng entertaining. Whether it was the endless back and... More

Prologue
Secret Admirer
Handmade
Sweets
School Project
Online Games
Lucky Charm
Cosplay
Modelling
New York
Stupid in Love
Love Language
Protective
Sick Day
Accidental Date
Sneaking Away
Yes/No Hands & Grévin Museum
Alone Together/Goodnight Kiss
Meet the Parent(s)
Adrien's Garden
Kiss In The Rain
PJ Picnic/Pet Names/Pancakes
Pick Up Lines/Cloud Gazing/Living Together

Roles Reversed

553 31 27
By Mystic_Raven20

Adrien

Adrien paced his room like a hungry lion in a cage. After the brief conversation with Félix the previous night, he'd barely slept more than an hour. His cousin had left him with quite the puzzle, and that, along with the kiss from Marinette, had screwed up his brain. Looking at the time, Adrien picked up his phone and dialled his cousin's number. It was midday back in Paris and he was sure Félix would be free to talk.

"Adrien, any news yet?" Félix greeted.

He shook his head. "No, my father hasn't called and I haven't heard anything from Marinette. Seriously, Fé, you need to tell me what this is all about!"

"How do you think she'll contact you?" Félix asked, clearly ignoring Adrien's main query. "Don't you think it's about time you come clean about this 'mystery texter'? She's not stupid and it won't be long until she gets your number and realises it's you she's been sharing all her secrets with."

Adrien sighed. Wasn't that just the question? Why hadn't he come clean yet? The prospect of her knowing terrified him. It was too far gone now to end well if she found out; his window of opportunity had well and truly passed.

"It's just... once she knows it's me it'll change our relationship and I really like where we are at the moment. She's open with me, and funny and cute—"

"Or you're just scared to lose your make out buddy. Come on, Adrien, I think she might actually like you. You need to just give it up, accept the consequences then grovel long and hard at her feet! The longer you allow this charade to go on the worse it's going to be when you're found out."

A scoff left Adrien's lips only to be sucked back in when he realised what Félix had just said. How the hell did he know that?

"Make out buddy? Something you need to share with the class, Félix?"

A few bangs were heard on the other side of the phone; the sign that whatever had just happened had caused quite the mess — if the crash didn't prove it, the obscene cursing certainly did.

"Oh - um - just a lucky guess I suppose. So tell me... was she a good kisser?

"Like I'm going to tell you that. Oh, and by the way, you lost your ability to tell a decent lie from the moment you got with Kagami. So, explain! Now!"

Adrien heard a deep suck of air from the other side of the phone and was almost worried his cousin was about to inhale the damn thing. Félix's voice returned. "Don't kill me okay?"

"Félix!" Adrien growled, his cousin sighing through the phone. "There's a hole you're digging which is getting deeper by the second. Explain!"

"I may have sent someone to keep an eye on you."

Adrien frowned. "What? Why? Félix, why the hell would you want to do that? Listen, if you were that invested in the idea of me and Marinette kissing, why not just send us on a double date?"

"Pfft, we've all tried that; but that's not the point. Your father has this plan which involves you and Marinette. I just wanted to keep an eye on you both — that's all."

"What type of plan? My father couldn't arrange a piss up in a brewery — that's why he has Nathalie."

"I'm getting there. Just give me a minute. I want to enjoy what's left of my life before you murder me. For the record, Kagami can mourn me for 30 years, then she's allowed to move on."

"Félix!!" Adrien shouted down the line.

"I may have sent a Sentibeing over to keep a check on you."

Adrien frowned. Why the hell would he — hang on! Wait a minute! "Medium height, brown hair and a crooked nose."

"Almost the opposite to you? Yup."

The guy that had been following them. It shouldn't have surprised Adrien that Félix would do something so unethical; after all, Félix had always had his best interests at heart, and although his cousin was possibly insane that didn't stop Adrien from being warmed by the care. However; this guy had had both him and Marinette on high alert for the past couple of days — for no reason.

"So, you sent one to follow me — us — why?"

A soft sigh once again made its way into Adrien's ear. He could just imagine Félix running a hand along his jaw in exasperation.

"Your father seems to have some sort of issue with Marinette. We didn't realise until after she got the job. I asked Kagami where she'd gotten the details from and she told me Nathalie had personally approached her asking if she knew anyone qualified and talented enough to take the position; and although Nathalie never mentioned Marinette by name, it was clearly indicated that's who they wanted for the interview. There were just too many coincidences. I had to look into it. Sorry, Adrien."

Rubbing his eyebrows, Adrien tried to comprehend the meaning behind Félix's words. His father was involved with something and needed Marinette for it too... it was about as easy as the last question on 'Who wants to be a Millionaire?'

"So, my father purposefully made Marinette apply to join the company?"

"Yes, but your fathers issues are a whole different story for another day."

"But why? I just don't get any of this! And why did we need a spy?"

"He's going to fire her!"

Perplexed by what he should do, Adrien pulled his things together and headed out of the room towards the elevator. It was 8am and they weren't needed at the centre until noon for last minute fittings. He guessed Marinette would most likely still be asleep.

Wanting to check up on her, Adrien planned on grabbing some breakfast and then heading to her room. The only option he had at the moment was to let her know what Félix had just told him. There was already one big secret held between them, he couldn't afford to have another. From there, maybe he could go and see his father and Nathalie and get this straightened out. Had they both been used as pawns in his game?

The conversation continued with Félix, right up until the moment the phone almost dropped out of Adrien's hand. His eyes widened as he followed Marinette stride through the lobby and out the exit, Gorilla standing in front of the car with the door open for her. Was she going to the office already? Was his father doing this now?

Without a moment's hesitation, Adrien ended the call with Félix, and pulled up his father's contact details. Why the hell was Marinette leaving so early? They weren't needed for hours!

Impatiently stalking around the lobby, Adrien held the phone to his ear and waited — his thumb tapping anxiously against the side.

"Come on! Come on! Come —"

The phone clicked to life, his father's stealy voice sounding through the speaker.

"Adrien? What do you want?"

Taking a deep breath, he tried to play it cool — there was a chance Félix was exaggerating right? There's no way his father would just hire and fire Marinette? It just didn't make sense.

"I - um -" Steadying his nerves, Adrien moved his head from side to side to crack his neck. The uncomfortable tension lingering on the shoulders. "I need to come in and speak to you about something?" Adrien lied.

"Is it important? You know I have a busy day."

Looking around the lobby Adrien thought of what he could possibly say to make his father react; to get the face to face meeting he wanted and needed.

"Yes, it's very important!"

"Is it about your incompetence to turn up at events?"

Reaching to the back of his neck. Adrien began to rub. "I need to come and apologise about that too. I won't take too much of your time. I promise."

Silence burned through his ear as he waited for his father to reply, his feet, once again, sending him into a march up and down the lobby.

"I'll give you ten minutes. Come in now and I expect a valid excuse."

Breathing out, Adrien thanked his father and ended the call, just in time to receive a new message from Miss Dial.

Miss Dial (8:36am): What would be the most inappropriate film to make into a porno?

Suddenly, his mood had transformed from panic and worry to a side splitting smile. Marinette had shocked him last night in more ways than one. He had acted on nothing more than instinctive (and slight idiocy); but he couldn't help himself. She was there all cute, hugging her sketchbook into her chest, and he'd just moved. He'd kissed that smart mouth right off her and loved every... single... second.

Marinette did things to him which he had never experienced before, and if Félix hadn't been so persistent on calling, who knows what might have happened...

Mr Unknown (8:38am): At least ask me a hard question...

He fired a quick response as he made his way out onto the bustling streets of New York. Looking around, he could see the traffic already at a standstill; horns blaring around the area. If he wanted to get to his father quickly, he'd have to walk. There was only one option and that was to try and get to Gabriel before Marinette and talk his father out of doing something ridiculous.

Miss Dial (8:39am): Har har! But seriously? Thoughts?

Almost bumping into the crowds, Adrien swerved and dived through the walls of people, replying to Miss Dial's latest message.

Mr Unknown (8:40am): Okay, okay! This one's easy... Pinocchio!

Chuckling to himself, Adrien continued on to the 'A Designs' office. It wasn't too far away now, just a couple more blocks. He pushed forward, every now and then apologising to those he'd bumped into as he continued his back and forth correspondence with Marinette.

Just as he sent his killer carrot joke, his phone began to ring. His fathers number displayed largely on the screen and the unsmiling face of the top class designer glared back.

"Father?" Adrien asked, joining the group of tourists waiting to cross the road. The building was just ahead, he was almost there.

"Adrien, where are you?" Gabriel said in a way of welcome.

"I'm just about to reach the building."

"That's good news then, thank you. I'll speak to you later. Bye."

Ending the call and moving across the road, Adrien couldn't help but frown. Why was his father ringing him to check that? Was Marinette already there? Was he waiting for Adrien to join them to make his point even more vibrant?

Finally reaching the offices, Adrien signed in and headed to the elevator. Not having to wait too long, Adrien stepped into the elevator and headed for the top floor. In a matter of seconds, Adrien was out of the elevator and heading down the hallway, stopping in his tracks (and slightly winded) as a small hurricane crashed into him.

Grabbing Marinette's upper arms, Adrien looked her over. She looked broken — hurt beyond repair.

"Marinette?" he asked. "What's going on?"

She shook her head, obviously on the verge of crying and it broke his heart. Trying to pull her into him, she fidgeted, hitting his hands away.

"Don't touch me!" she hissed, pointing a finger straight into the middle of his chest. He took a step back to put distance between them. What had he done? After that kiss last night he was sure they were on the same page with their feelings; that she wanted him just as much as he'd come to want her.

"Marinette's what's wr—"

"You know exactly what's wrong! I thought you were different. I thought I had got you all wrong, but once again you managed to trick me. Was anything you told me the truth, or was it all just lies to get me to kiss you?"

The tears were streaming down her face and his heart broke as he watched her call him out for something he didn't do. He hadn't told anyone anything.

"Marinette, please!" he begged, stepping forwards with his arms open.

"Just stop with the games, Adrien! You've won, okay? Once again, I'm the joke! You did a great job at tricking me! I bet you couldn't wait to speak to your father and tell him all about how you got the new employee to fall for your innocence and charm — that she couldn't keep her hands off you. Tell me Adrien, do you always make the girls think you're some kind of hero? You've ruined me."

What? Did she actually believe he had gone out of his way to trick her? Why would he want to do that?

"I'm going!" The huff of her voice had him turning his attention towards her, the anger and hurt radiated from her and he felt like scum – for no reason of his own. His father must have gone ahead and beat him to it.

"Marinette?" Stepping forward, he reached for her arm grasping onto it and pulling her closer towards him.

"Don't touch me, Adrien. I'm done." She knocked his hands off again, his grip loosening as she moved away and further down the corridor.

He wanted to run after her, to forget his father and chase after this girl who both infuriated him and brought the best out of him. But he couldn't do that, could he? He'd promised his father.

Adrien looked between Marinette's back and the doorway to his father's office, before turning his attention back again. He had a choice here. One which could make or break his future... he just didn't know which was which? Looking again, Adrien made a decision and began to move.

"Adrien?" Nathalie's voice stopped him before he could break out into a jog.

Eyes tightly closed, Adrien stopped and looked from Marinette back to where Nathalie was standing in the doorway to the CEO office. Her stance was strong and without emotion – the complete opposite to how Marinette had just left the scene.

"Adrien? Where do you think you're going?" Suddenly his father was there too, siding up beside Nathalie and looking less than impressed by Adrien's advancement towards Marinette's retreating form.

"I'm going after Marinette, I don't know what you –"

"I forbid you to go."

Adrien raised an eyebrow. 'I forbid you to go'? Who did Gabriel Agreste think he was? Darth Vader?

"No," Adrien said firmly.

"You go after her and your part in this company is done." Turning around Gabriel stalked back into the office leaving himself and Nathalie outside.

Adrien knew this was the make or break of him. On one hand he would have security for the rest of his life with his father — continuing in his job and living the life he knew; however, there was the opportunity here to turn around and take a risk. He could march down the corridor and make Marinette speak to him, to tell her he hadn't done anything – that everything she thought she knew was once again her jumping to conclusions.

"Adrien?" Nathalie called, indicating for him to follow her into the office.

He took a step forward and stopped; the conversation from Central Park came back to him. He wanted to get closer to his father yet here he was years later with no development in their relationship. Gabriel Agreste never ever put him first. He never ever cared. Shaking his head, Adrien stepped backwards away from the door.

"I'm sorry, Nathalie," Adrien started. "Tell father I'll clear out my office as soon as I'm back in London."

"Adrien? Adrien? You don't know what you're doing?"

Ignoring the words calling down the corridor after him, Adrien pushed forward as quickly as he could, set on getting to Marinette and fixing this. He wanted the opportunity of a life away from his father and the pressure of his surname, and he was quite sure he wanted the opportunity to get to know this amazing woman more. Out of Gabriel and Marinette... he chose her.

"Marinette," he called again. "Marinette?" Skidding to the halt, Adrien watched the purple butterfly sail over his head. "Shit!" Starting up again, this time faster, Adrien moved towards Marinette, set on beating the perfect purple insect flying above them. He'd never run so fast in his civilian form, but there was no way Monarch was going to take advantage of her. Not now, not ever! Reaching her a split second before the butterfly, he had the smallest amount of moments to put this right and save her. He couldn't fight Marinette. He could never fight Marinette.

"Don't!" she said back, the fight from earlier gone leaving nothing but a broken voice in its wake.

"I'm not leaving you, Marinette." He watched the flap of the butterfly sail over their head. No! No! No! He needed to think. He needed to sort this out now.

"Nope," Marinette laughed. "It seems I'm leaving you."

"I don't work for this company anymore so technically we're leaving together."

That seemed to spike her attention, the butterfly hovering behind her without taking — the anger was dropping. This was it. This was the moment. Now he just needed to make sure his words came out correctly – there was no more room for mistakes.

Come on, Adrien! Just be smooth! Stepping forward, he was relieved to see she didn't move back. Instead she stayed put on the spot and allowed him closer.

"Tell me Marinette — if the roles were reversed — would you mess up the opportunity to discover what you could have with someone who makes you feel free? Someone who makes you smile and laugh when you've lived a life so dark."

He could see her thinking. The sorrow in her eyes transforming as she studied his face. God, Adrien wanted her to believe him. He wanted her to trust what he said and be willing to give him the same opportunity as he wanted to give her. He wanted her! "I promise I said nothing to my father and I will work tirelessly to support you and help you take my father down. I don't work here anymore so I can do that. I can help you start on your own and be the best you can be. But best of all, I can now do this."

Adrien moved forwards and placed a hand on Marinette's waist, pulling her into him as a hand caressed his face. "You're beautiful Marinette, and you bring me to life."

She sniffed, the only indication she had been close to tears. Closing her eyes in a prolonged blink, a tear rolled down her cheek and landed in the crease of her smile.

She was smiling and he thought his heart was about to explode out of his chest.

Moving his head down, he looked into her eyes and waited for the confirmation that he hadn't read her actions wrong. With complete satisfaction, Marinette nodded, lifting up onto her toes and pressing her lips to his in a soft, slow kiss – completely opposite to what had happened the night before.

Taking the opportunity, Adrien pushed harder, complete satisfaction flowing over him as he noticed the butterfly moving away.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

819K 26.7K 26
❝Even if there was no gravity left on earth I'd still fall for you.❞ Sometimes, failing at things can lead to something beautiful; just like when M...
159K 3.8K 31
Saving Marinette from Evilistrator was all that Adrien needed to see Marinette more and get to know her. Once he saved her, he ended up visiting her...
213K 5K 34
Marinette Dupain-Cheng is a lonely girl, her school hates her, she is small and fragile. Everyone seems taller than her, passing through streets, bu...
21.4K 1K 26
Christmas is a time for love, joy and laughter, even if you are a superhero of Paris and have sworn off love. 23 year old Marinette Dupain-Cheng and...