The Last Hero (Villains & Mon...

By raethewriter_

[Completed] "No one's going to hurt you ever again." "No one," he said through his teeth, trying to fight t... More

A Quick Note (Please Read)
Prologue
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Interlogue
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Epilogue
A note from Rae

Chapter 48

113 17 11
By raethewriter_

- Early May, 2046 - (Ten days ago)

It was close to two in the morning when Jamie sat down on the floor of his boxcar to make yet another gruesome plan. He stared down at the blood notes on the floor in front of him, thinking carefully.

A week ago, after Desmond had gotten a terrifying call from Pat that he was being watched, they split into pairs. Jamie went with Amaya to go to the university to retrieve the materials for the project—their only chance of beating Simon and Daija. If Pat had been followed, then it was a good chance that storing the equipment at the university wasn't safe anymore.

That's where he found the first note scribbled in blood. "I see you."

The other two teams went to find Pat, but failed. They had spent an entire night searching. Pat wasn't answering the phone, and Jamie vowed to find him, no matter what it took. Though he told the team that they'd look for him together the next night, Jamie ended up going alone.

He checked around the university again, then ended up searching the factory that they met up at a couple of times before. It was a long distance from both their hideout and the university, so he had no choice but to take the car, park it about ten minutes from the factory and walk the rest of the way so he wouldn't draw attention.

That night, he found another note. "5." He also found Pat's dead body, then he heard a bone-chilling laugh in the factory.

He could've sworn it was Tony's laugh.

Jamie didn't return to the hideout until late morning, making sure that he wasn't followed back to the others. Delivering the awful news to the rest of his team shattered him—especially at the sight of Desmond nearly fainting. Pat's gruesome murder followed him like a ghost, and Jamie's didn't stop himself from mourning him. It wasn't fair. It wasn't his fault.

"How many lives is your plan worth?"

That question kept him up, and even though everyone was reeling from Pat's murder, Jamie had to talk to everyone about the notes he found. It was only a matter of time before Daija and Simon struck, and he didn't want anymore people to die.

"All of you need to get to CJ, and then get the fuck out of the city," he told them.

"There's no point, Jason," Victor had said, "You're close to finishing your project, and even if we left, they'd hunt us down and they wouldn't stop until they caught us. We might as well stick together."

Amaya was silent for a few moments, then nodded her agreement. "He's right. Besides, we knew what would happen when we went with you."

He knew they wouldn't have left, but he wanted to try anyway. When he retrieved the final materials for the project and set everything up in a separate boxcar, he got another note that said, "4, " but by then, he had found who had been following him around the city whenever he was there.

To confirm it, he went into town and delivered Hazel's letter to the coffee shop mostly in the open, and he even smiled at the disguised henchman that he passed on the way in.

He spent a while walking throughout downtown Kunross, turning it into a small game. How much about this person could he find out as quickly as possible? The henchman, Evan, seemed excited—so excited to the point he didn't even report to his leaders straight away upon seeing him. He wanted to be the one to take Jamie and his team in, bask in the victory, and get all of the praise and money he could ever dream of.

Finding out all of the delicate details of Evan's life was almost too easy. An apartment further east, a small son who stayed with his Mom most nights, a team of other henchmen that deeply relied on him and followed his lead.

Jamie snatched it all from him in moments. All it took was a fake location, poisonous gas to get rid of the team, a few extra hours out of his night and gun. He didn't even try to lie to himself about feeling bad. He didn't care. Pat was truly innocent and he had no problem evening the score.

That's what Daija wanted, right? For him to kill without the guilt and do whatever the fuck she told him to? She wanted to know how many lives his plan was worth, yet she keeps wasting lives by sending henchmen to do her work.

That was fine. He'd kill them all.

Jamie sat up straight when he caught himself drifting off. Fuck, he should really get some sleep, even for just a few hours. He crawled onto the mattress on the ground and settled under the stolen blanket. It still smelled like Layla. At the thought of her, he sighed quietly. He knew that she'd lecture him later.

His mind drifted back to the notes. The last one he received was, "3," and Evan had, "2," in his apartment, all planned to be put in the train station's bathroom.

All he could do was hope—as dangerous as it was—that Daija didn't reach, "1" before he completed his work.

— — — — —

Like he promised himself, he woke up early, then continued on with planning. He went into downtown, Kunross to get more information about the newest henchman that he noticed following him to the library a couple of days ago.

Yesterday evening, CJ notified them of another package being delivered to the usual location, so Jamie told Victor that he'd pick it up and that he should stay with the others just in case they're attacked and need to leave immediately. Lately, he had been trying to propose escape plans for the rest of his team even though they said that they would stay.

Even though Victor was firm in his decision in staying, something in his eyes softened when Jamie mentioned that he cared deeply for Layla, and the last thing he wanted was for her to get killed. He listened with a grim expression, and quietly promised that if it came down to it and there weren't any options, he'd get the team out. But only if they tried everything.

Once Jamie picked up the package, he took a more crowded route towards the university, left the box of extra supplies somewhere hidden, then waited for the pair of henchmen to emerge from the university's gym. One of them was alive with excitement, and as he rushed to his car, Jamie paid attention to his companion, who looked tired. The two of them part ways, and Jamie took a few brief moments to memorize the features of the henchman moving to the car.

First, the man met up with a student with a bag slung over her shoulder. The excited smile of recognition and the similar features told Jamie that she was his daughter. Then, once they parted ways, the man went into the car, then pulled out a wristband that was similar to the one Jamie wore while in base.

He knew that he wouldn't be able to strike then, but he did know that his daughter attended Kunross University, so he could start there.

— — — — —

Once Jamie returned to camp, he immediately started his way back to the train car to construct the next part of his plan to lure out the henchman, Zade, and get information.

As far as the last box that CJ sent, Jamie opened it, then smiled softly when he pulled out the vial that contained his most recent request. Truth serum. He was thankful that CJ was able to retrieve it. It'd help him out.

"There you are," Layla's voice came from behind him, and Jamie looked at her to see that her arms were crossed over her chest. "Amaya told me that you snuck out again."

"I had to," he mumbled.

"You promised that you'd stop. Going by yourself is reckless."

"I'd rather go alone than take any of you with me and put you in danger."

She huffed irritatedly at that. "We're supposed to be a team, Jason. Yes, we're keeping an eye on each other and making sure camp isn't found, but if things are happening in the city, then you should take one of us with you."

"I can't, Layla," he sighed out. "These henchmen used to be your friends. What kind of person would I be to take you with me to get rid of them? You saw how it messed up Victor. Besides, it can easily go wrong."

Layla winced at that, and her mouth opened as if she was going to say something, but she stopped and looked away. Jamie's heart tightened at that, and immediately, he dropped what he was doing to step closer to her. "Hey," he started softly, "I know you want to help—"

"Someone has to look after you," she interrupted, then exhaled slowly. "What if one day or night you don't come back? The idea of Daija getting her fucking hands on you again..." her throat bobbed, and she shook her head rapidly to stop her tears from arising. "No. I can't let that happen."

He reached up and gently stroked her cheek. "If Daija gets anyone, it has to be me. Not you or the rest of the team. We've spoken about this already."

"I don't like how quick you are to give yourself up."

"If it meant saving you, then I'd do it without question."

Layla's eyes softened, and she nuzzled her cheek into his hand. Jamie leaned in and kissed her. Like every time he got close to her, he felt a mix of heartbreak and selfishness. He knew he didn't deserve her, but he wanted her. It wasn't fair to want her after everything he'd done, but he didn't care.

But he meant every word. He'd let Daija rip him apart all over again if it guaranteed her and the rest of the team's safety. He desperately wished for more time; not just to keep the leaders away from them, but more time with Layla.

"I have to leave again soon," he whispered against her lips when he broke the kiss. "I have a lead."

"How many this time?"

"Just one."

"And later?"

He thought for a few moments, then answered, "I'll be back before it's time for bed, since it's my turn to take watch."

"I'll be up, so I'll come find you."

Jamie almost missed the glint of mischief in her eyes, and he looked down to hide his small smile. "No distractions, Layla."

"One: You didn't complain last time. Two: I saw that smile," she angled his chin so he was looking at her again. "I thought I told you that you weren't allowed to hide those anymore."

He didn't respond to that, so she pressed a small kiss to his cheek. "One day, we'll be in a position where you can smile at me all of the time and not feel like you have to hide it."

With that, she wandered off to go find Desmond, and Jamie released a long exhale. He allowed himself to daydream about a future with Layla for a few moments, then shifted and got serious.

He had another henchman to find.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.4K 170 2
Content warning for Spoilers (maybe??), death, unrequited love, suicide/suicide mention, and graphic violence!! We all love some good old Stannarrato...
114 41 18
"In a tale of betrayal and vengeance, orchestrates a devastating betrayal that shatters the protagonist's life. Left for dead and fueled by rage, th...
574 30 28
I have restarted this book. I wanted to make it easier to read and more enjoyable. I hope to make shorter chapters and update frequently. :) In the b...
239K 13.9K 90
[Completed] After being thrown into a world of heroism, long lectures about using her powers responsibly, and silly made-up prophecies that she wante...