Miss Dial

By Mystic_Raven20

Adrien Agreste has always considered Marinette Dupain-Cheng entertaining. Whether it was the endless back and... More

Prologue
Secret Admirer
Handmade
Sweets
School Project
Online Games
Lucky Charm
Cosplay
Modelling
New York
Stupid in Love
Love Language
Protective
Sick Day
Accidental Date
Sneaking Away
Yes/No Hands & Grévin Museum
Alone Together/Goodnight Kiss
Roles Reversed
Adrien's Garden
Kiss In The Rain
PJ Picnic/Pet Names/Pancakes
Pick Up Lines/Cloud Gazing/Living Together

Meet the Parent(s)

487 33 24
By Mystic_Raven20

Marinette

If Marinette was shaking anymore she was quite sure her teeth would fall out. She'd been summoned personally by Gabriel Agreste to the New York office, one which was a lot bigger than she had expected it to be. It was early in the morning, which could only mean one thing... This could not be good news.

The eerie silence within the room was a clear indication everyone was still in bed, sleeping off their hangovers before the main fashion show later that evening, one where she was meant to be dressing Adrien. A spiralling in the pit of her stomach made her reconsider that thought. Something internally told her this was not going to go well. Perhaps they had finally come to their senses and realised exactly how under qualified she was and we're going to let her go.

She sat on a chair and felt like a naughty school girl waiting to go in and see the principal, very much like back in her Lila school days. Lila. The name did nothing now apart from bring up unclear feelings relating to Adrien. Adrien. He was the reason she was reinstated at collége; he was the reason Lila backed off a little during their final years; he was her hero. Her brain still couldn't comprehend that it was Adrien who was fighting for her behind the scenes, playing the same mind games with the pathological liar as she had done with everyone else.

Adrien Agreste. Who would have thought it?

She couldn't help but smile; a hand subconsciously reaching for her lips as her fingers soothed over the tender skin. The kiss they'd shared last night was everything and more. She'd never ever imagined a first kiss with someone being that... that... She didn't even have words to express it. It was rough and sweet, and sultry and sexy. Intense. And she wanted more. So much more.

Grabbing her phone from her pocket she reopened the conversation between herself and Mr Unknown. She needed a distraction. A colossal step away from Adrien to think about why the hell she was contemplating kissing the one guy she shouldn't (again)!

Miss Dial (8:36am): What would be the most inappropriate film to make into a porno?

Mr Unknown (8:38am): At least ask me a hard question...

Miss Dial (8:39am): Har har! But seriously? Thoughts?

Mr Unknown (8:40am): Okay, okay! This one's easy... Pinocchio!

Miss Dial (8:41am): 😮 I hadn't even thought about that! You're right, that's just wrong in so many ways!

Mr Unknown (8:41am): Worst thing is, it's probably already out there!

Miss Dial (8:42am): I predict you're searching for it right at this moment! Don't you dare send me a picture! I DON'T WANT IT!!!!

Mr Unknown (8:43am): Chill, babe! I'm not that much of a pervert. I'm a little worried about who you think you're messaging though.

She laughed and shuffled in her seat thinking about what to send him next. Once again, this unknown face was causing her to smile.

"Come out to play, Kitty cat," she whispered, before tapping out the next message on her phone.

Miss Dial (8:44am): Who am I messaging then? Going to give me any clues?

Mr Unknown (8:45am): I thought you wanted to remain nameless, Miss Dial! Has someone changed their mind? I knew you'd fall for me and my charming wit.

Miss Dial (8:46am): Wit? Are you telling me all this time you've been making jokes?

Mr Unknown (8:47am): Has anyone ever told you that you're mean?

Miss Dial (8:48am): Anyone ever told you your jokes are crap?

Mr Unknown (8:50am): I have feelings you know 🥺

Miss Dial (8:51am): Fine then, tell me a joke.

Mr Unknown (8:52am): Right now? With no time to think... *sigh*... if I must. What's a vegetable's favourite sport? Carrot-ey!!!

"Marinette."

Nathalie walked out of Gabriel's office, her face statonic as always as she motioned for Marinette to follow her. This was it. The moment of truth.

She stood up and brushed her skirt down, before gathering her belongings and checking her phone one last time. Quickly, Marinette checked her emails. Nothing from Adrien.

After he'd left last night it seemed he'd gone radio silent and as much as she wanted to message him — she couldn't. Unfortunately, she'd forgotten to get his number, and due to Adrien being such a 'star' of the company, and to stop unwanted advances, no one could get hold of his number without him personally giving it to them.

As she dressed that morning, she thought maybe he would have been in the restaurant for breakfast the same time as her, then maybe they could have rode to Gabriel together but it seemed she was the only one being summoned. Adrien was nowhere to be seen.

Following Nathalie into the room, she saw Gabriel was on the phone talking animatedly to whoever was on the other side. He gestured to her encouraging her to sit in the chair opposite him — his attention firmly placed on the call and not her.

Hesitantly, she sat down and took the opportunity to look around the room. It was sparse and cold — pretty much like Gabriel himself. Only a couple of black and white photographs, similar to the ones in the London office, lined the wall surrounding the singular coloured photograph; Gabriel and Émilie looking so young and full of love on their wedding day. What had happened?

Émilie's green eyes were searching hers, almost lifelike, as they followed her movements in the chair. Marinette studied it. Her attention mainly focusing on the eyes, a colour so familiar to Adrien's in made her heart yearn for him. Taking a deep breath, Marinette closed her eyes ignoring the dull ache in her heart. She really needed to snap out of this.

The portrait proved one thing: Adrien was all his mother. From the colouring of his eyes and hair, to the face shape and posture. Adrien Agreste was Émilie Graham de Vanily's son through and through; not a hint of Gabriel Agreste anywhere to be found.

"That's good news then, thank you. I'll speak to you later. Bye." Gabriel placed the phone down slowly; each millisecond feeling more like an hour as she waited for Gabriel to reveal her fate.

"Adrien," he said, his hand pointing in the direction of the phone.

"Oh!" Oh? She had no idea what to say to Gabriel, all she could pray was that her face hadn't turned to the colour of a fire extinguisher. The last thing she needed was to be questioned about why her face was exploding at the brief mention of his son.

"Yes," Gabriel continued. "Before we begin I just wanted to let you know we will be putting forward a couple of your designs to the board for possible inclusion in our winter line."

They were going to create some of her designs?

She couldn't believe what he was saying. After all these years she had finally made it! Marinette Dupain-Cheng was going to be a showcasing designer for Agreste Designs. Forget kissing Adrien, she could jump over the desk and kiss Gabriel right now – on the cheek that is. She wasn't that far gone.

The smile stretched her lips and she couldn't stop the way her eyes were welling with tears. She'd made it on her own merit. She'd done all this herself. Pride oozed out of her, a slight smugness following it. She had been chosen, and she couldn't be happier.

"There is just one change though. It will not be put forward under your name."

Her smile dropped as did a stone into her stomach. "W-w-what do you mean?"

Gabriel threaded his fingers together and rested his elbows on the table. His fists supporting his chin as he looked into Marinette's eyes – his own cold, grey and unwelcoming.

"Can you remember the documents you signed after we'd offered you a job? The day you'd come to meet with HR."

Marinette nodded, her throat too dry to formulate any words. She'd read the documents forwards and backwards, inside and out. She knew them by heart. Any work that she did for Gabriel during her employment was owned by the company — not the designer. It was a normal stint within the fashion world, but still she thought she'd at least get a chance to present them.

"Our documents have very strict guidelines, Mademoiselle Dupain-Cheng, they're there for a reason. They keep our work safe and our staff. Do you understand that?"

She nodded again, a sinking feeling burying deep into her stomach. It aroused her to the fact she was most likely not going to like what Gabriel had to say next.

"At Agreste Designs, we have clear visions about how our staff are meant to behave. Our policies are ironclad and have fair sanctions for any rules broken."

Marinette felt her nose begin to burn; her eyes prickling and stinging at the edges. This can't be happening.

"And unfortunately, your dismissal to the company will be immediate from now."

Everything inside of her ran cold. Dismissal? Immediate? What?

"It has come to our attention that your interview and interest in this position is not in line with our policies. You have used the opportunity for your own personal gain and that is not how we work here in Agreste Designs, and it's with regret that I have had to terminate your contract imminently. The conversation I had with Adrien this morning was rather... enlightening."

Sitting unsure what to do, and even more unsure if she could actually move, Marinette froze.

Her own personal gain? Conversation with Adrien?

How could it be her own personal gain when the job had changed from what she had originally believed it would be. This wasn't fair. She hadn't done anything wrong. The tingling in her lips reminded her that actually she'd done a lot wrong... more importantly she'd almost done Adrien. She signed a disclaimer to say she would leave the model alone, that she understood interoffice relationships were prohibited. Had he told? Had this all been a game? Had Adrien lured her in just to make a fool out of her?

"Nathalie will escort you to human resources who will deal with your contract. I am very disappointed in you, Marinette. I really thought you had something special to bring to the fashion world."

Wanting to do nothing more than break down and cry, Marinette stumbled as she stood. Her hands shaking as she grabbed her bag, and her top teeth clamping down on her lower lip, dragging along in need to keep control.

Finally securing everything in her arms, she scurried out of the room running head first into a male's body which may as well have been a brick wall. Stumbling backwards, two hands grabbed her upper arms holding her steady.

"Marinette?" The voice asked, "what's going on?"

She shook her head, not wanting to let Adrien see her cry... but it was too difficult, especially when her heart felt like it had just been ripped from her chest. Batting his hands from her shoulders, she stepped away from his grasp.

"Don't touch me!" she hissed, pointing a finger straight into the middle of his chest.

The conversation he'd had with Adrien. What the hell had he told his father? She felt played, utterly played — and it broke her just a little more.

"Marinette's what's wr—"

"You know exactly what's wrong! I thought you were different. I thought I had got you all wrong, but once again you managed to trick me. Was anything you told me the truth, or was it all just lies to get me to kiss you?"

The tears were streaming down her face now and she knew she was ugly crying, but she didn't care. What was the point? There was nothing left here for her, her future was ruined — ripped to shreds and thrown onto the floor.

"Marinette, please!" He stepped forward to hug her and in a moment of weakness she accepted, closing her eyes and settling against his chest; only to open them again and push him away.

"Just stop with the games, Adrien! You've won, okay? Once again, I'm the joke! You did a great job at tricking me! I bet you couldn't wait to speak to your father and tell him all about how you got the new employee to fall for your innocence and charm — that she couldn't keep her hands off you. Tell me Adrien, do you always make the girls think you're some kind of hero? You've ruined me."

Adrien didn't say anything. He just stood there staring. Emotionless. Did he not care? Is this all he wanted? Because she didn't fall for his charm in the past decade he needed to try a new game plan and embarrass her?

"I'm going!"

"Marinette?" Stepping forward he reached for her arm. Pulling her close towards him.

"Don't touch me, Adrien. I'm done." She knocked his hands off her, his grip loosening as she moved away and out of the room.

Sights set on getting this over and done with, Marinette marched down the corridor away from Gabriel's office, whole time not realising she was being followed by a purple butterfly.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

112K 3.8K 18
❝If I was going to give up out of sheer rejection, what was the point in loving you in the first place?❞ *** Marinette Dup...
12.4K 369 21
At a Parisian boarding school for adolescents gifted in the fine arts, brooding pianist Adrien Agreste and aspiring costume designer Marinette Dupain...
Paris By I exist

Fanfiction

29K 1.5K 77
In times where a war between the rich and the poor commences and evil lurks in the darkness, miraculous rebel forces face against corrupted Akumas ma...
19K 550 40
"The magazine that Adrien is currently modeling for, has asked that I provide them with a new medium to present Adrien in. They do not want a photosh...