Love in the Shadows (Book 2)

By writing_by_lettym

After having a rough start, Mia Connors and Steve Rogers are finally free to be together with the full accept... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21

Chapter 22

3.9K 122 264
By writing_by_lettym

"Turning Page" - Sleeping At Last

The waves crash onto the shoreline, making the most beautiful sound. The wind is just strong enough to deliver a cool breeze, but not make it cold. I wrap my arms around myself trying to let the sound of the water settle my mind. 

It's so nice out here, so calm. It's so easy to forget everything else and just pretend that this is it, that nothing else is wrong. There's a peace that comes over me, but it has to fight with the chaos that rattles my mind.

I close my eyes, trying to focus on nothing but the sounds around me, and yet it's the sounds in my head that take priority.

"Mia?" Doctor Larson says, bringing my focus back to her. And it's then that I realize she's been trying to get my attention for a while.

"Sorry." I say, not really knowing how to focus on anything right now. "I'm sorry."

Doctor Larson gives me a sympathetic look as she leans forward. "Mia, I know this is difficult news to process. But I need you to understand that this isn't definitive." She puts her hands down on my most recent test results. "This doesn't mean you won't be able to get pregnant, it just means that it might be a little more difficult." She fans out my MRI, my CT scan, my PET scan, and my ultrasound. "Your body took a lot of damage and you're still healing so it's hard to know what's going to be permanent." I hear her, I'm listening, but my heart is pounding so hard right now it's hard to fully process anything. "I know this isn't something you guys were thinking about right now, and we won't actually know more until you guys are ready and trying."

It's been a month since the fight with the Citrelian army. And after a bit of a scare when I passed out, after a few days of rest I thought everything was just fine.

Until Doctor Larson called me in to talk about my latest scan results. Until she told me she was seeing a few issues that didn't seem to be healing as fast as she had been hoping. Until she told me that based on that she thinks I might have a hard time getting pregnant.

"Mia..." Steve says, sitting beside me, sounding more concerned about my reaction than the actual news.

Things were finally falling into place with us. We had plans for a future, and now it's ruined.

I shift forward, trying to control my emotions so I don't start crying. "When we are at that point in our lives..." I pause, wondering if that day is ever going to come now. "If I did manage to...g-get pregnant, would it be a dangerous pregnancy?" I ask, feeling my hands start to shake. "For the baby?" I lift my hand up, quickly wiping away a fallen tear.

"From your current tests I have no reason to believe it would be. The biggest uncertainty would be the actual conception. But if it were to happen we would definitely be more vigilant throughout the pregnancy."

She's being as reassuring as she can. And despite her saying this isn't a certainty, I can't help but panic at the idea that I'll never be able to give Steve a child. He never even officially said he wanted kids. Last time I asked he said "maybe". But I can tell that he does, the way he was with Esmond made that very clear. As for me, I was never the type of person to desperately want kids. I always figured if the time came and I was with the right person, I'd think about it. And I'm with the right person now but, to know that I might not even get a choice, it hurts.

"Mia..." Steve says again, and I can hear the desperation in his voice.

I haven't even turned in his direction since Larson told us. Because how can I? How can I look at him, knowing my actions might have cost us the future we were planning.

"Is there anything we can do to help this?" I say, trying to keep the conversation going so I don't have to face him. "A surgery? Medication? Anything?"

Larson looks over at Steve, giving him a sympathetic glance. "Right now the best thing you can do is to make sure you take care of yourself so you can heal properly. After some time we'll run the tests again and see if there's improvement."

If...

"I'm going to give you two some time alone." Doctor Larson says, getting up and stepping away. She saw what was happening, what I was doing and what I was avoiding, and she wasn't going to let me continue to do it.

The room fills with silence once Larson is gone. My jaw trembles as I turn my head, suddenly feeling like the walls are closing in on me.

"Mia." Steve says again, his voice breaking. "Baby will you please look at me." he begs, and the agony in his voice finally breaks me.

I bring my hand up to my mouth to try and muffle the sobs. "I'm sorry."

"No."

"Oh god Steve I'm so sorry." I cry out, absolutely losing my control.

"Stop." Steve says, as he grabs my hand and pulls me from my seat. He guides me over and then sits me on his lap. I wrap my arms around his neck, crying into his shoulder. I feel him take in a shaky breath as his hand rubs up and down my back.

"Mia, you didn't do anything wrong. Look at me." He grabs onto my shoulder and pulls me back, putting his hands on my cheeks and forcing my gaze to his. "We are not giving up. You heard Doctor Larson, this doesn't mean it won't happen." I try to look down, but he brings my head back up. "But Mia, even if it never happened. This doesn't change how I feel about you. This doesn't change the future I want with you."

His words make me cry harder, because I feel like he's just saying this to comfort me. "But...I saw you with Esmond." I say, remembering the unfiltered joy he had on his face just at holding my nephew. To have his own child... "How can I deny you that?"

Steve shakes his head as he lets out a deep sigh. "Mia you're not denying me anything." he says, his hand brushing my hair from my face. "I need you to understand that, if it's just me and you for the rest of our lives, I would be perfectly happy with that. If this happens and we do end up having a baby together, I would be happy. If we decide to adopt instead I would be happy. If you wanted to live in a house filled with rescue dogs, I would be happy." I laugh, the first sign of hope peering through. Steve smiles when he sees me smile, wiping away my tears as he pulls my face closer to his. "I want a life with you. Anything that comes after that would be a grateful addition." He means that. Every word. He presses his forehead against mine, his thumb still wiping my tears. "As long as we're together, the rest doesn't matter."

The sound of the door opening and closing behind me pulls me back from the memory I was lost in. It's been two months since we got the news and even though I've been slowly adjusting to it, the anxiety and ache over it still comes and goes. I see Steve crouch down, taking a seat next to me on the same large rock I'm on. I turn, smiling at him as I slide my hand into his and shift myself closer to him, leaning my head on his shoulder. He turns and kisses my head before leaning his cheek on it.

We took our vacation. It took us a little longer considering we needed to take some time to recover from the fight. But eventually we made it out here.

Tony rented us a secluded beach house just like I wanted and Steve and I spent the past three weeks here together. It was just us, doing anything we wanted to. We slept in together as long as we wanted, we cooked whatever we wanted...well I cooked, Steve tried not to burn anything. We had sex...a lot...in every single room and surface of this place. There was hardly a moment that Steve and I weren't touching in one way or another. Cuddling on the couch, holding hands while we did literally anything, my head laying on his lap as I read a book, exchanging random kisses whenever we felt like it.

It was perfect. We didn't have anything back home to worry about. No impending fights, no questions about my past, no concerns about exes or crazy wannabe exes.

Loki is back on Asgard with Thor. They promised to be back when Steve and I returned, and then come and go every once in a while to visit. He'll still be in a probation-like state back home since, while we trust him a little more here after he fought with us, the Asgardians still need a little more convincing. But with Thor on his side I think things will go well for them.

As for Sharon...well let's just say a very talented ex-Russian spy and a very protective tech-savvy father managed to get into Sharon's deleted files and retrieve every record of proof of what she and Katy did. Both are gone from S.H.I.E.L.D. and legally unable to contact either one of us. The empathetic part of me wants to feel bad, but she did this to herself, and just remembering what she put us through makes the sympathy go away.

The only thing that still bothers me, and has a possibility to ruin the happiness we've worked so hard to build, is the news Doctor Larson gave us. I know having kids isn't the most important thing, and Steve has been very supportive in reminding me that as long as he and I are together that's all he needs. And I believe him, it's just taken me a little longer to come to terms with the idea that even if we want it, it might not happen. I guess it helps that we're not at that point in our relationship yet. Once we get there, we'll deal with it.

"We don't have to go." Steve says, bringing our hands up and kissing the back of mine. "We can stay here as long as you want."

I smile, the idea of staying here in our little bubble so appealing. "Believe me I'm tempted." I say, remembering how blissfully happy I've been. "These last three weeks have been..."

"I know." he says, shifting our hands so he can caress his thumb along my thigh. "But..." he teases, already knowing my answer. "You miss everyone."

I turn to look up at him, hoping he doesn't feel bad. "I'm sorry. It's not that I haven't loved being alone with you here, but with Pepper pregnant I just want to make sure she's doing okay, and Nat and I have to plan the baby shower and–"

His lips press against mine, cutting off my rant as his hand slides to my cheek. His kiss is soft and gentle, comforting. He pulls back, giving me a soft smile. "Mia, you don't have to apologize. Or give me any explanation." he says, his thumb gently caressing my skin. "I miss everyone too." I sigh, grateful that he understands. "I really miss Nat." he teases, his tone of voice making it clear he's trying to make me jealous.

You'd think he'd learn by now.

"Oh god me too." I say. "I'm really craving a girls night with her. Maybe with a bottle of wine or two."

Steve groans in annoyance as he rolls his eyes at me. "You're impossible." he says, suddenly reaching for me, wrapping his arm around my waist and pulling me over him until I'm straddling his lap. I'm giggling as I wrap my hand around his neck, leaning in and kissing him.

"Promise me we'll do this more often." Steve says, looking out at the waves before bringing his eyes back to me. "Just me and you."

"Just me and you." I whisper against his lips before kissing him hard and desperate.

Steve hums in response, his hand sliding up and down my bare thighs, reaching the hem of my shorts before coming back down. "Before we leave..." he says in between kisses, "I want to do something...again...something we can't do back home."

"Yeah?" I ask, thinking about all the very inappropriate things we can't do back home unless it's in our room. "What do you want to do Cap?" He pulls back, giving me a devilish smirk.

I let out a yelp as he suddenly moves, standing up with my legs still around his hips and I have to wrap them around him to try and stop myself from falling. I let out a yelp as he jumps off the rock, running along the sand and towards the water.

"Steve don't you dare–"

I cry out as Steve rushes into the ocean, the cold water splashing around us as he holds onto me. We're both laughing as the waves crash into us, Steve holding his stance as he leans in, pressing his lips against mine.

We may not know what the future holds for us, but I can seek comfort in knowing that I have a family that loves me, friends that support me, and the love of my life who will be right by my side, no matter what comes.

***

1 year later

I take a deep breath as the music starts to play. I straighten out my dress, holding onto the flowers in my hand tightly as I step out and turn to face the crowd of familiar faces. I start to walk, keeping a slow pace as everyone watches me. Despite the crowd being full of our friends and family, the attention is still making me a little nervous. Until I look up and see beautiful blue eyes that can't seem to look away from me.

There's a huge smile on his face as he watches me, and a playful smirk that is hiding thoughts he should not be having right now. I give him a quick warning glare, silently telling him to control himself. He gives me a quick wink before I finally reach the end of the aisle and take my place.

The music changes, and then everyone stands up, turning back to face the end of the aisle.

And then the most beautiful bride comes into view as Nat steps out.

I begin to tear up as she starts to walk down the aisle, which is a real testament to her beauty considering I'm the one who helped her get ready so I already knew what she looked like. Her silver, floral laced dress looked absolutely beautiful on her, the tulle of the skirt barely grazing the floor.

I look over at Bruce and see his eyes water as he watches his future wife come closer to him. Behind him Tony puts his hand on his shoulder, giving him a reassuring pat. Once Nat reaches Bruce she brings her hand up, wiping the fallen tear off his cheek.

As the ceremony starts most of us can't control our tears, all of us knowing damn well how hard this journey has been for these two, and how much they deserve their happiness.

Steve's gaze keeps shifting in my direction, and with the way he's looking at me you would think it was him and I getting married. His eyes run over every part of me, slowly, carefully, as words about love and commitment float around the room.

By the time they both finish their vows I'm pretty sure my make-up is a mess as the tears fall on their own accord. When they share their first kiss and man and wife everyone erupts into a loud cheer. Nat and Bruce, who I genuinely feel were the couple that started everything, so it's only right that they were the first of us to get married.

We set up the ceremony in the open field where we would train. They both wanted something simple and not too extravagant, so we hung a few lights along the area, put a dance floor in the middle of the field and set up the tables and chairs around it. It was simple, but absolutely beautiful. And perfect for both of them.

After the ceremony we quickly shift the set up so that it turns into the reception area and immediately we get into the celebration. As soon as the dancing starts I take the opportunity and push Tony to dance with Pepper, really only using it as an excuse to get my little sister into my hands. And Pepper doesn't get her back. No matter what group I end up talking to, Morgan comes with me. I help feed her, change her, and even get her on the dance floor with me.

"Mia you have not put Morgan down all night." Tony says, a huge smile on his face at watching his two daughters.

"I can't help it if she loves to be with her big sister." I say just as Morgan, now 5 months old, rests her little head against my chest.

Pepper starts to get up. "It looks like she might be falling asleep. I can take her if you want."

"No mom, I got her." I say, holding her close and not wanting to let her go. I smooth out her cute little flower girl dress, tucking my hand underneath her to give her support as I gently rock her back and forth.

She manages to fall asleep, and despite my protest Pepper does end up taking her so she can set her down for a nap. But I don't get to pout long about it when I feel a hand on my back.

"Dance with me." Steve says, with a smile. I can tell he's been wanting to ask for a while, but he didn't want me to have to put Morgan down, so he waited.

I take his hand, gladly following him to the dance floor. A slow song starts and he takes me in his arms, holding me close to him as we sway back and forth. I lean my head against his chest, enjoying the feel of his heart beat in contrast to the music.

"Do you have any idea how much I love you." he says, as if he hasn't told and showed me that day after day. I lean back pretending to have to think about it. "Seriously?" he asks, "Do I need to sneak you away somewhere and remind you." he whispers, low enough so that no one else can hear. His hand drops down to my hip, his fingers lightly brushing against the loose skirt of my knee length maid of honor dress.

I chuckle, knowing he would not be able to let that thought go after what happened. I rise up so that I can whisper in his ear. "You already pulled up this dressed and fucked me in it before the wedding even started." I say with a chuckle. "I'm guessing you just want another chance to steal my underwear." I tease, knowing he's upset that I grabbed them off the floor before he could. "You have a problem, you know that? I think you should talk to someone about it."

Steve struggles to hold back his laughter. "Yes because that's exactly what needs to come across Tony's desk. A therapy bill where I discuss why I have such an obsession with taking his daughter's underwear after we have sex."

I tuck my face in his chest as I start to shake with laughter, knowing that would literally be the death of this man. As we're laughing and still dancing to the music the song changes, but Steve stops us.

"Wanna take a walk?" he whispers, turning his head back towards the building. Considering the conversation we just had I wouldn't be unjustified to assume he might want to sneak away for a quickie, but considering there's a softness to his eyes I have a feeling he just wants to get away for a bit. So I nod my head and he takes my hand in his before leading us off the dance floor and back towards the housing building.

It doesn't take me long to figure out where he's taking me, and pretty soon we're up the flight of stairs and opening the access door that leads to the rooftop.

He turns on the string of lights, illuminating the top. From up here we can see past the trees and over the whole reception area, the lights, the decorations, everyone dancing, laughing, and Nat and Bruce unable to be apart from each other, despite knowing they never have to be apart again.

Steve and I go to the ledge and he holds my hand to help me sit down and so I can hang my legs over the edge.

"They really did a good job with all of that." Steve says as he comes down next to me.

"Yeah." I say, mentally picture how this place normally looks to compare it. "You'd never guess that's the training area where I knocked you on your ass so many times."

Steve laughs, not being able to deny it. He reaches over and slides his hand into mine, holding it tight.

"I'm surprised Loki didn't come." he says, his gaze focused on where Thor is talking with Nat, Bruce and Tony.

I turn, giving him a curious glance. "Really?" I ask, knowing that coming to the wedding of the guy who once slammed him several times against the floor is not something I would expect from Loki.

Steve smiles, knowing he can't honestly say he really believes that. "No." he chuckles, correcting himself.

Although, I know the real reason Loki isn't here. "He's actually spending time in Revenia with Emory." I say, having heard the news the last time I talked to him.

"I take it that things are going well for them?"

"I think so." I say, knowing they don't really update me much on their relationship, either out of respect for my past with Loki, or a refusal to admit that they really like each other. "I'm just so happy that he's happy." I say, remembering how hard things have always been for Loki. "Not just because of Emory but, his freedom, his relationship with Thor. He's really made an effort."

Steve nods, as he turns to face me. "All thanks to you."

I smile, knowing I would have fought for him to be happy a million times over. "No, I won't take credit for that. That was all him." I say, knowing that no one can really make Loki do what he doesn't want to, not even me. "I mean it took him a minute to get it but..."

Down at the party a slow song starts, and a few couples go out to the dance floor. In the middle of them are Nat and Bruce. His hands on her waist and her arms wrapped around his neck. They're looking at each other like there's no one else in the world, a feeling I've had so many times while dancing with Steve.

"They look so happy." I say, wanting to just start crying again. I love them both so much and I'm just so happy to see them together.

Steve leans over, pressing a gentle kiss to my shoulder. "You realize you did that right?"

"What are you talking about?" I ask, considering they were previously together before I even came to the Avengers.

"If you hadn't stormed into my room to tell me off for being rude to you, none of this would have happened. We wouldn't have gotten together, Tony wouldn't have gotten rid of his rule, Nat and Bruce wouldn't have gotten back together, and we wouldn't all be here."

I guess in a way the events did trickle down that way. But there are so many moments we're other people changed the course of my life. Steve saving my life, Bucky insisting Steve and I talk things out, Nat pushing me to confess my true feelings. I don't really think it was solely me.

"It feels kind of weird being grateful for the day I told you to go fuck yourself." I tease, that moment still firmly embedded into my mind.

Steve chuckles, but his facial expression tells me he knows I have a point. "It was also the day we had our first kiss." he says, his eyes drifting down to my lips.

"That was some first kiss." I say, remembering him pressing me up against his door after I tried to storm out.

"It's one of the best days of my life." Steve says, and despite the fact that it was a rough couple of days when we were trying to figure things out, it was what started everything.

I bring his hand up, kissing his fingers before holding them to my chest. "What's another?"

Steve smiles, looking at me with so much love and adoration that it almost looks like he's getting emotional. "The day we met."

I feign offense with a loud gasp. "When we both nearly died in an explosion?!"

Steve rolls his eyes. "When we both saved each other from dying...the first time."

It's actually weird thinking about that day considering I spent months not even remembering it. I think about the day Steve told me that story, hearing someone talk about an experience they had with me when I didn't remember it was so bizarre. But when I got my memory back, it's like I got to re-live it all over again. The way he looked at me after saving that kid, when he reached out his hand to help out of the mall. The way he held me close, putting his body in front of mine so the explosion wouldn't hit me. We were protecting each other from the moment we met. And have had to time and time again.

"The day I told you I loved you." Steve says, continuing his list.

"And I didn't say it back." I tease, knowing that's one of the moments in our past I highly regret. I let fear stop me from telling him how I felt.

"At first, but eventually you did and it was also the first time we had sex." Steve says, a flirty smile coming across his face.

"That's definitely top of my list. Along with literally every other time we've had sex."

"The first time I woke up with you next to me." he says, and I try to think back to when that was. "Before we were even together," he clarifies, as if reading the question on my face. The night he told me how we first met, I told him he could stay with me if he wanted to, and he did. "I remember thinking that that morning was so perfect and every morning I didn't wake up with you next to me, was going to be torture."

My mouth drops open in disbelief. "Steve, we didn't wake up next to each other again for two months." I say, knowing his statement couldn't possibly be true or else he would have thought that for weeks.

"Worst two months ever." Steve says. Obviously he's being dramatic, those two months weren't the worst. We really got to know each other during that time, we became friends. But it was hard having all these feelings for each other and not being able to act on them. Spending nights laying awake, wishing he could be there with me. So I guess he's kind of right. Fun days, harsh nights.

"You want to hear one of mine?" I ask, wanting to share my side with him. He nods, looking excited to hear this. "The first time we were up here together, when you confessed your feelings for me." Even though we had already kissed, that was the true moment our relationship changed. "I spent four months thinking you hated me." I say, remembering how little we had even spoken to each other before then. "It was nice to hear that you were just super horny and hated that you couldn't do anything about it." I tease. Steve laughs, but obviously can't deny it. I think back to the first time we were on a quinjet together, the mere sight of me just taking my jacket off had him so riled up. I can't believe I was so blind back then. He looked at me the same way he looks at me now. How did I not put it together?

I look down at our hands still intertwined together, thinking about the difference in the first time we sat here together, and right now. "You know, even though I fought it, I think that was the night I knew I couldn't imagine my life without you." I say as I bring my eyes to his. "I knew I was meant to be with you."

His eyes widen, like my words just caught him by surprise. "That's when you knew?!" he says, looking at me like he's just been betrayed. "Then why did you torture me for two months?"

I throw my head back laughing, not having expected that reaction from him. "My heart knew..." I say, trying to defend myself. "My head needed some time to catch up."

Steve sighs, his hand coming up to rest on my cheek. "I would have waited forever for you." he says, a sweet change from the playful annoyance he seemed to have just a few seconds ago.

He pulls me to him, his lips gently brushing against mine before he fully kisses me. My hand slides up his chest, gripping his collar as I hold him closer.

This never gets old. We're still so enamored with each other you'd think it was our first kiss the way we react.

I pull back, knowing that if I don't stop us we're not going to go back to the party at all. "We should get back. Nat's going to be looking for me. I'm kind of running the whole wedding show."

Steve nods, agreeing with me although he seems a little disappointed. He stands up first, holding his hand out to me to help me up. I dust my dress off before turning towards the exit.

"You know which other night up here is my favorite?" Steve says as we start to walk towards the exit.

"Which one?" I ask, thinking back to all the answers he could give me. Our unofficial first date where he laid out a picnic for us and that ended in some very interesting sex. Coming up here after I gained my memory back, when everything was out there, there was no more hiding our relationship, things felt right for us. Maybe the time we came up here after our first official date, although things were still a little hard for us and Steve was trying to make up for what he did. This has always been our spot. A place we could always be alone, together. Even when we weren't hiding our relationship it was a reminder of how hard we worked for this...for us.

I've taken a few steps before realizing the only thing I hear is the party going on in the background, and Steve hasn't answered my question that he prompted. "Steve?" I say, turning around and wondering what happened. But I don't immediately find him in my line of sight. It isn't until I look down that I see him, eyes bright, nervous smile, shaky breath...

And down on one knee.

"Hopefully this one." he says, finishing his previously unanswered question.

And I completely lose my breath.

I come back towards him, my hand coming over my mouth as I try to control the endless string of emotions coming over me right now.

Steve smiles, looking like he's been waiting his whole life for this moment. "Mia, finding you...having you in my life is the best thing to ever happen to me. And I know you don't doubt it because I've said it a million times, but I will say it a million more, as long as you'll have me. I love you more than I ever thought I could love anyone else. And you love me more than I ever thought I deserved. You have changed me in the most amazing way and continue to make me into a better man every single day we are together. I can't imagine a life without you. I don't want a life without you." He reaches into his pocket, pulling out a small black box, holding it in front of him as he opens it.

"Mia of Revenia, will you marry me?"

I let out a sob as I drop down to my knees, wrapping my arms around his neck and crashing my lips to his. Tears are running down my face as I pull back and place my hands on his cheeks "Yes." I say through the crying. "Of course I'll marry you."

A huge smile comes across Steve's face as he leans forward, pressing his lips to mine again. I don't think he doubted what my answer would be, I think he's just happy to finally have heard it. When he leans back he brings up the small velvet box, and I had almost forgotten about that. Steve knows the ring isn't important to me. There could have been a small chocolate heart in there and I would have said yes. The only thing that matters to me is being with him. But I knew there would be no convincing him because in his eyes the only way to properly propose is with a ring. But as he slips it onto my finger, tears welling up in his eyes and mine uncontrollably running down my cheeks, I can't deny it feels good.

I kiss him again, feeling Steve wrap his arms around my waist as he holds me close. He starts to stand up, taking me with him as he gets us both on our feet. He then crouches down, his arms tight around me as he lifts me off the ground, spinning us both around, our lips never separating. Once he sets me down he keeps his forehead pressed to mine as his hands come up to my cheeks.

"It's you and me...forever." he says with a shaky breath.

I slide my hands into his hair, holding him close to me. "It's been you and me, from the day you first saved my life."

He shakes his head as he leans slightly back. "No Mia, you saved my life." he says. "The second you came into it."

I press my lips to his again, both of us wrapping our arms around each other and squeezing tight. We could stay here forever, and probably would have, if Steve's phone didn't start ringing.

He lets out a frustrated groan as he reaches into his jacket pocket. "It's Nat." he says before even checking. When he pulls out his phone I see a picture of Nat and I on his screen. Every contact picture of our friends on his phone has me in it. He doesn't particularly love it when Bucky calls and a picture of him kissing my cheek comes up, but that's probably why Bucky calls him so often.

Steve answers the call, putting Nat on speaker.

"Did you do it already?!" Nat says, the music in the background unable to hide the annoyance in her tone.

She knew he was going to ask?!

I give Steve a look of bewilderment and it causes him to chuckle. "Yes, just now."

"Fucking finally! Took you long enough Rogers." she yells out. "Now both of you come down here so we can celebrate!" she says, hanging up the call without waiting for him to say anything else. Steve shakes his head as he puts his phone away.

"She already knew?"

I see an embarrassed smile come across his face. "I didn't originally plan on doing it today since it's their wedding but she heavily insisted, threatened me actually, not to take anymore time.

That means she had to have known for a while. "Who else knows?" I ask, knowing it couldn't have been too many people because the secret would not have been kept very well.          

"Bucky obviously, and Tony."

Dad? "Really?" I ask

Steve gives me a soft smile. "Well I had to ask for his blessing." he says as if it should have been obvious. Because it should have. I know Steve is old fashioned. I should have known he would have asked for Tony's blessing before asking me. I'm assuming Tony gave it to him, although I don't think it would have stopped Steve from doing it if he hadn't.

"Callen too." Steve says. "I asked him last time we were in Revenia."

Callen?!

He had definitely warmed up to Steve at this point, but he still had such a protective big brother attitude over me. The last time we were there was only a few weeks ago. And now that I think about it, he did act differently from one moment to the next. Even as we left I could tell there was something he wanted to say to me, but he was holding back. He hugged me so tightly I panicked for a moment that something was wrong. But he just gave me a reassuring smile and told me he loved me and just wanted me to be happy.

And now I know why he said that.

I'm crying again, wishing he was here now to share this moment with me. But we visit Revenia often enough that I know I'll see him soon so we can celebrate together.

"Baby..." Steve says, putting his hands on my cheeks and wiping my tears..

"I'm sorry I can't stop crying." I say, despite the fact that he's probably used to how emotional I am at this point. "I'm just so happy."

Steve smiles, tears lingering in his own eyes as he leans in and gently brushes his lips against mine. "As long as they're tears of happiness." he whispers before sliding his hands down so he can wrap his arms around my waist. He holds me close, his lips against mine, and we begin a new chapter of our life, the start of forever. 

***

3 years later

The shrill sounds of screaming and laughing manage to surpass the sound of the music. People are stepping out of the way as a little person threatens to barrel through them, running like her life depends on it.

"Morgan!" Pepper yells, seeing her younger daughter make her way through the party. But she doesn't get to say much else when her older daughter rushes past her, also running through the crowds. "Mia!" she calls out, her scolding turning into laughing as she watches her daughters chasing after each other.

Somewhere on the other side of the room another playful yell is heard, followed by more people laughing at the commotion.

"Esmond!" Della calls out, just as her child runs past her.

"Oh for god's sake Rogers." Tony says, scolding Steve as he runs right behind him.

After giving Morgan enough of a thrill of being chased I take a larger step, reaching forward and grabbing her by the waist "I got you!" I say, lifting her up into the air.

"Sissy!" she squeals, giggling as I cradle her to me. She throws her arms around my neck, hugging me close as I swing her around.

Esmond celebrates not being caught by running around my feet. But his laughter soon turns into a panicked yell when he's yanked up.

"Where do you think you're going?" Steve says, catching him and tossing him over his shoulders.

Esmond lets out a loud string of laughter as he clutches onto Steve's shirt for dear life. "Uncle Steve got me!" he says, relaying the information to Morgan.

It was us versus them, and while I know I should probably let my nephew and my little sister win the games, they picked the wrong people to play with. Because my husband and I happen to be very competitive.

They're both squirming in our arms, refusing to accept defeat as they try to get away again. An attitude I can 100% agree with.

"Okay okay, we'll put you guys down." I say, looking up at Steve and giving him a sly smile. He brings Esmond down just as I lower Morgan, and we carefully watch each other as we let the little ones go.

They both let out a high pitched yell as they start to run. But neither of them get very far when Steve and I grab them, switching victims as I catch Esmond while he gets Morgan. They laugh as they writhe in our arms until finally we let them both down.

"Hey guys, Uncle Bucky looks really bored, why don't you guys go cheer him up." I say as we release them.

We watch them run off together heading towards Bucky who's sitting on the couch. He barely gets a chance to register them coming at him when they attack, laughing as they jump on him to play.

I feel Steve step up behind me, sliding his arms around my waist as he presses a gentle kiss to my shoulder. We watch Esmond and Morgan play with Bucky, the joy in their laughter filling up the room. I feel Steve's chest expand with a deep breath before he lets out a sigh and I can hear the longing in it. I reach my hand back, sliding it along his cheek as I turn to face him.

Steve and I were so impatient about becoming husband and wife that with the help of Tony's resources we had a small wedding planned and were married within three months of him proposing. We enjoyed being just us for almost two years before we had to have the conversation I was dreading. After some more tests and scans, Doctor Larson analysis didn't change. Her concern over my ability to get pregnant was still there. So Steve and I talked it over and we decided that we would just let things happen, or not happen, and we would be okay with it. I took my birth control out a year ago and we've just been living life.

But despite agreeing to be okay with whatever outcome, there's no denying that, especially when we're around Morgan and Esmond, we can feel the desire to have that together.

But Steve has been nothing but supportive this entire time. Loving me just as much as before and never letting me dwell in the sadness that it wasn't happening for us. He kept his promise in reassuring me that he really would be okay if it was just us for the rest of our lives.

"I love you." he whispers, kissing my cheek one last time before he lets me go. He starts to step away but I grab onto his shirt, pulling him back to me as I press my lips onto his. He smiles as he wraps his arms around my waist, his mouth moving softly against mine.

"Get a room!" we hear Nat call out, and we chuckle as we separate, suddenly remembering there's a room full of people here.

"Or just don't do that," Tony scolds. "At all."

"It's his birthday, he can do whatever he wants." Sam says with a flirty smile. "Or whoever he wants."

Beside him his girl Victoria smacks his chest, warning him about his comments, but she can't help but chuckle along with the others who heard that. Sam laughs as he grabs her hand bringing it up to his lips and kissing her fingers, right above where her engagement ring sits.

The room is filled with everyone that we love. Steve didn't want a huge party so we made it a small gathering of our friends and family. Well, as small as Tony is capable of making anything. Callen, Della and Esmond were able to come and even Thor made it down. Loki stayed away, not out of any awkward reason since he's always invited to these things now, but he had some other things to deal with back on Asgard.

I grab a few snacks as I watch Steve laugh and have a good time with Tony and Callen. My brother came around and stopped scowling at Steve every time we were together. I mean, he kind of had to once Steve and I got married. Even at the wedding he had finally loosened up, and I think it had a lot to do with the fact that Steve asked for his blessing before proposing to me. I can't help but smile as I see them leaning against each other, finding something particularly funny. And to be honest it's probably some story Callen is telling them about me.

"That's cute." Bucky says, coming up beside me.

"What?" I say, turning to face him.

Bucky nods his head in Steve's direction. "The smile you get just from watching him laugh."

I look back at Steve seeing him and Callen laugh again as he puts his arm around him. "It's my favorite thing in the world." I say, knowing that seeing him happy is all I want. I'm just lucky that what happens to make him happy is me.

Bucky reaches his hand up to his heart. "Wow, I will try not to be offended by that."

I roll my eyes at him. "Oh my god Bucky. The fact that we are both married and you continue to do this is unbelievable." I say, even though I can't deny, I think I would be sad if he stopped flirting with me. It's such a strong foundation of our friendship. He doesn't do it as often now that we're both married, but I don't think that's something that's ever going to go away.

Bucky chuckles as he looks over at his wife talking and laughing with Nat at the bar. I can see the love in his eyes, the love that I saw the moment he met her years ago. "It's not my fault you married Steve instead of being in a throuple with Olivia and me."

I can't help but throw my head back laughing. "Did you just say throuple?"

Bucky has continued to be, and will always be one of my best friends. His support throughout the years has meant everything to Steve and me. He was the first person to believe in our relationship and without him I don't know if this would have happened. I bring my hand out, my fingers spinning the bracelet that he got me for the first birthday I celebrated here.

"Maybe I should have bought you the engagement ring instead of the bracelet." Bucky says. "God knows Steve took his damn time giving it to you."

I turn to look at him, giving him a confused glance. "What?" I chuckle out.

His eyes glance down to my wrist. "The day I bought you that bracelet, was the same day Steve bought the engagement ring he gave you."

My mouth drops open, my confusion growing. "You told me you bought that bracelet before I even went on my mission to London."

"Yeah." Bucky replies a little too nonchalantly.

"Steve didn't propose to me until over a year after that." I say, wondering why he's acting like this isn't a little strange.

"I know...what an idiot." Bucky says, still choosing not to catch onto my concerns.

And not that I'm necessarily concerned, I'm just a little confused. Steve has never told me that he held onto the ring for a year and a half. Then again, I never really asked him.

"Why did he wait so long? Or why did he buy the ring so soon if he wasn't ready yet."

Bucky chuckles, as if the answer should be obvious. "Mia, that man was ready to marry you the day you told him you loved him." he says as he looks over at Steve. "He just didn't want to freak you out by asking so soon."

I turn, looking back at the love of my life as I try to process all this new information that I cannot believe I didn't know before. It's then that Steve catches my gaze and meets it, his eyes softening as he smiles at me before turning his attention back to the conversation he's in.

I can't believe he held onto an engagement ring for that long. I can't believe he bought it when we had only been going out for a few months. He was that sure that I was the person he wanted to spend his life with? Then again, when was I sure?

The moment he kissed me, I knew I wasn't going to be the same if I didn't have him in my life. After he confessed his feelings for me I knew I needed to be near him, even if it was just as friends. And when he told me he loved me, that's when I started picturing a future with him. It definitely would have been too soon and I think I would have 100% panicked if he had actually asked me then, but it's the moment that I truly felt like we could actually do this.

"Uh-oh. I did something, didn't I?" Bucky says, watching with concern as I continue to stare at Steve. "He's not in trouble right?"

"No." I say with a small laugh. I put my hand on Bucky's shoulder and I lean in, giving him a soft kiss on the cheek. "Thank you Bucky." I say, hoping he knows I will never be able to repay him for all that he's done for me.

I start to walk away when I see Olivia come in my direction. She grabs onto my wrist, stopping me with a cute little sound of disapproval. I'm about to ask her what's wrong when she leans her cheeks closer to me, apparently asking for the same gift I just gave her husband. I chuckle as I put my hand on the other side of her face, pulling her towards me and kissing her cheek. She gives me a satisfied smile as she lets me go and then walks over to Bucky. I look back at them, seeing how Bucky grabs her the second she's in reach, pulling him to her and pressing his lips against hers. They truly are perfect together, and I'm thankful everyday that Olivia was the nurse in charge of taking care of Steve. I can't imagine who Bucky would be without her.

I continue to make my way towards Steve, and as soon as he catches me going towards him he excuses himself from the others and starts to come to me. He can see the urgency in my step and his brow furrows as concern fills his face.

"Everything alri–"

I cut off his words when I wrap my arms around his neck, crashing my lips onto his. Without hesitation he grabs onto my waist, pulling me to him as he kisses me. He doesn't question me anymore, because he knows we'll talk about it later. Instead he just takes my hand, and leads me back to where my family is.

We continue to laugh and talk with each other, Morgan and Esmond eventually tire themselves out and are put to bed. We sing to Steve as he blows out his candles, and then watch him open the presents everyone brought him.

When he's done everyone asks him for a speech. He tries to decline but the request is so grand he has no choice. He stands in front of everyone, holding me at his side and I can see him start to get emotional.

"Thank you all for being here. Thank you for sharing this day with me. Every single person gathered in this room means so much to me, and I don't know where I'd be, or who I'd be without you guys." He brings our hands up, kissing my fingers. I lean into him, sliding my hand across his stomach.

"Mia, where's your gift?" Clint says, noting that Steve didn't open a present from me.

"Pretty sure she already gave it to him."  Bucky says with an insinuating tone.

"Barnes." Tony warns, not wanting to hear the jokes.

"Several times." Bucky mumbles under his breath, but not low enough that we didn't all hear him.

"Bucky!" Olivia scolds, giving him a death glare.

All jokes aside, it actually reminds me... "I actually do have another gift for you." I say as I turn to face Steve.

"Notice she said another." Sam says, him and Bucky really enjoying this.

"Babe, shut up." Victoria says, giving him a reprimanding smack on the chest.

Steve chuckles as he brings his hand up to brush my hair back. "Baby, you didn't have to get me anything else." he says, already grateful for the party I helped plan, the gathering of our friends and family, the mind-blowing sex we had last night.

But just one more thing...

"The only thing is, I ordered it kind of late so it's gonna take a while to get here." I say, giving him a regretful look.

Steve furrows his brow, not really understanding why that matters. "That's okay." he says with a confused chuckle.

"Like a while." I say, looking a little embarrassed.

Steve gets even more confused. "How long is a while?" he asks, finally taking my bait.

I smile, knowing everything is about to change. "6 months"

The unsureness grows for just a second, before I can see the realization start to hit him. I see his face start to drop, new emotions taking over. I can see hope, then disbelief, and then slight fear. Fear that he's jumping to the wrong conclusion, fear that I'm not insinuating that we beat the odds. "Mia..." he says, his voice breathy and faltering. He's afraid to say it, afraid to ask and not get the answer he's hoping for.

The room has gone absolutely silent, a few gasps having come from people who are already jumping to that conclusion. The only other person who knows this is Nat and I can see the tears already in her eyes.

"I'm pregnant."

Steve lets out a shaky breath as the news finally processes through. With tears starting to fall he brings his hands to my cheeks, looking at me with such unfiltered joy before pulling me to him. He lifts me off the ground, spinning us both around as I hear the reactions of our family. I can hear Pepper crying, as she and Tony hug in celebration. Sam and Bucky are cheering like we just won the super bowl and the others are throwing congratulations at us.

When Steve puts me down his hands come up to cradle my face and he starts wiping my tears away with his thumb. "We're having a baby." he says, like he still can't believe it.

"We're having a baby."

Steve leans in, pressing his lips to mine, kissing me over and over again.

Everyone starts to come towards us, hugs and congratulations happening in every direction we turn to. Pepper and Tony both pull me into a tight hug, tears in both of their eyes.

"Oh my god I'm going to be a grandma." Pepper says, as if the full reality is suddenly hitting her, and she actually starts to freak out.

"Alright relax honey, just breathe." Tony says, trying to calm down his wife.

The next one to approach me is Callen, tears running down his cheeks as he wraps his arms around my shoulders and pulls me to his chest. I hear him let out a soft sob, definitely getting more emotional than I was expecting him to.

"Callen," I say, trying to comfort my brother.

"I'm sorry it's just..." he pulls away before turning to his wife, grabbing her hand and pulling her towards us. "After losing part of our family, it just makes me so happy to see it expanding."

I squeeze his hand, feeling the same things he is right now. I wish our mom and dad could be here, sharing this with us. But the family I gained here became Callen, Della, and Esmond's family too, and we're all so grateful for that.

For the rest of the night Steve remains by my side, not wanting to let my hand go as he continues to bring it up and kiss it. I can feel the nerves start to creep up for both of us, the realization hitting us now that the news is out there. It didn't even feel real to me until I said it out loud. But I know I'm not alone in this. Steve and I aren't alone in this. The family we have in this room will be with us every step of the way, and I have no doubt that the new addition to this family will only bring us all closer together.

***

4 years later

There's total silence as I step into the living room. Very purposeful silence. And it isn't hard to figure out that something isn't right.

"This isn't going to end well for you." I call out, knowing I have to be completely vigilant, because they can attack at any moment.

I can hear the whispering, the planning. I can practically hear them counting down before suddenly two bodies come out from behind the couch, one in each direction. I decide to go for the smallest one, knowing he'll be easier to catch. I grab onto him, hearing him scream as I stop him. With my other hand I put out a force field, stopping my second victim from getting too far.

With a burst of laughter our son runs over to his dad, tapping on the force field caging him in. "Daddy!" he says with a giggle. I drop my force field, releasing Steve. "Mommy won." Grant chuckles, not at all upset that he and his dad didn't outsmart me.

Steve reaches down, picking him up and carrying him as he comes towards me. "Yeah, mommy always wins." he says, leaning in and giving me a swift kiss. Grant squirms in Steve's arms wanting to get down.

"Mommy, slide." he says, asking me to give him a fun way back down to the ground.

I smile as I create a force field, curving it and creating a slide for him to go down on. I see Steve hesitate for a moment, before giving in and setting him on it. We watch him, laughing as he puts his hands in the air and slides down to the floor. He quickly gets up and takes off running towards his play corner with his toys.

I look over at Steve and find him looking at me with a disapproving glare. I chuckle as I slide my arms around his neck, leaning up to bring my lips closer to his. "Wipe that frown off your face Rogers." I say before kissing it away myself.

His expression softens as he wraps his arm around me. "Baby you need to be more careful." he says, referencing what I just did with Grant.

"Steve, everything's fine." I say, wishing he wouldn't worry so much. I know it's an impossible thing to ask, he's always going to worry about his family, and I love him for it. I just hate seeing that look of fear on his face.

Steve sighs as he brings his hand up, brushing it against my face. "You heard what Doctor Larson said."

I grab his hands, bringing them up to my lips and giving them a gentle kiss. "I used my powers when I was pregnant with Grant and he turned out perfect." I say, before bringing his hands down and resting them on my growing stomach. "Sarah's a tough little girl."

My pregnancy with Grant went much better than expected. Like Doctor Larson said the hardest thing was actually getting pregnant, the rest was fairly normal. And while Larson was a little concerned about me using my powers since it takes energy to create the force field, I know that it's safe as long as I don't push myself too much.

"Of course she is, you know why?" Steve says, his hand caressing my stomach. "Because she's your daughter."

We got lucky with Grant. And despite the fact that everything with the pregnancy went well, we honestly never thought it would happen again. I never even went back on my birth control and for over three years nothing happened. Until it did. I got pregnant again catching us both completely off guard. I was a little nervous since I had already grown accustomed to the idea of just having one kid. But Steve was over the moon about it, and even Grant got excited at the prospect of having a sibling. It wasn't what we were expecting, then again, nothing ever has been with us, but as soon as we thought about the idea of expanding our family, it felt right for us.

Steve leads me over to the couch, worrying about me being on my feet for too long, despite the fact that sitting has also become uncomfortable after a while. But as he prompts me to lean back, I already know what he's doing, having gotten used to it after being pregnant with Grant.

Steve leans down, bringing his lips closer to my stomach. "Hi my love." he whispers, kissing my bump. "It's daddy...again. I know you're probably thinking, 'does this man ever shut up'. And the answer is no. You can ask your brother when you get out, I talked to him non-stop the whole time he was in there."

I chuckle as I bring my hand up, sliding my fingers into his hair. He talked to my stomach nearly everyday when Grant was in there. He'd give me a good morning kiss and then Grant one, checking in with me as well as him, despite the fact that Grant couldn't respond yet. Steve took care of me better than anyone could have. He was at every doctor's appointments, going as far as taking notes. He asked things I couldn't even think of and made sure to follow Doctor Larson's care instructions down to the smallest fine print. I didn't have to worry about a thing, between him, Grant's grandparents, and his long line of aunts and uncles, this kid had all the love and support he could ever want. And my pregnancy with Sarah has been no different.

Steve kisses my stomach again before continuing. "I just want to give you your daily reminder that I love you so much. And I can't wait to meet you." He turns to look at Grant, happily playing with the dozens of toys Tony's bought him. "You and your brother are our little miracle babies. You guys fought against the odds to be here." he says, looking up at me. "You get that from your mom."

"They get that from you." I say, continuing to caress his head.

Steve smiles as his hand rests on my stomach. "Now I know you probably don't want to get out of there because mommy has made such a good home for you, but I just need you to know that when you're ready to come out, you're coming out to a great home, filled with so many people who love you." He kisses my stomach again. "I love you Sarah Fay." he says, using the name we chose as soon as we knew we were having a girl. Sarah for Steve's mom, and Fay for my biological mother.

Suddenly I feel a sudden jab against my side. "Oh."

Steve sits up, already knowing the difference between a reaction he should be concerned about and a normal one. "Did she kick?"

"Yeah," I say, grabbing his hand and shifting it. "Right here."

She doesn't move, and I hope it's not a one time thing. "Sarah..." Steve says again, trying to get her attention. She kicks again, this time hitting Steve's palm. He lets out an elated laugh, leaning over me and pressing a kiss to my lips.

"Grant come here." I say, calling our son over and hoping Sarah is still dancing in there. God knows she likes to kick my bladder often enough. Grant rushes over, not wanting to miss this. He's yet to feel his little sister kick and has really hated missing out. "Put your hand right here." I say, grabbing his hand as pressing his finger into my stomach.

She kicks again, pushing against her brother's touch and his face completely lights up, his mouth forming a giant O in surprise. "She's in there." he says, almost like he didn't believe it until now.

"Yeah she is." I say, reaching up and caressing his head. "In two months you get to meet her."

He leans in, amazed at the idea. Which I guess at his age is a total mystery. He kisses my stomach, doing what he's seen his dad do so many times. "I love you sister." he says, his tiny fingers gently going over my bump.

Steve watches his son with so much love and adoration, it's clear he can't believe how lucky we got. I honestly can't either. This family I have here, this life in our own home, is perfect. And that perfection is only growing.

We hear a knock at the door before it opens, meaning that our guests have arrived.

"Anybody home?" we hear someone say, and Grant jumps up, already recognizing the voice of one of his favorite people.

"Grandpa!" he shouts, taking off running and then jumping right into Tony's arms.

Steve stands up, holding his hand out to me to help me. Just as I stand up I see a little body run through and come straight to me, slowing down so that she's careful as she hugs me.

"Sissy!" Morgan says, hugging me as best as she can with my bump in the way. "Happy birthday!"

"Thank you my love." I say, hugging her close.

Tony and Pepper come over saying their hellos. "Happy birthday honey." Pepper says, before putting her hands on my stomach. "Hi Sarah." she whispers, and I can see the tears in her eyes, which she gets every time she sees me. "I just want her here now." she says, eager to be a grandma again.

"Yeah, you and me both." I say, knowing the growing belly is really starting to slow me down.

We hear another knock on the door and then more people come through.

"Uncle Bucky!" Grant says, running over to his other favorite person. As Bucky catches him Olivia comes over to me giving me a big hug.

Bucky and Olivia together decided that they didn't really want to have kids. But that doesn't stop them from spoiling the hell out of the ones around us. Morgan, Esmond, Grant, and soon Sarah. They give them all so much love and attention and seem so happy with just that.

"Happy birthday sweetheart." Bucky says, giving me a tight hug. "How's my little princess doing in there?" he asks, crouching down as if to talk to her directly.

"Attempting to rearrange my organs." I say, noting she happens to be really active right now.

"She's a fighter." Bucky says, looking so proud.

"Like her mom." Olivia says, coming up to his side.

As more people start to come in the living room starts to fill up with even more familiar faces. Sam and Victoria, now married and trying to have their own kids to join the group. Wanda and Vision show up, with their twins Billy and Tommy. I have yet to understand how that happened, but they're happy and that's all that matters. Nat and Bruce are living happily together. Clint shows up with his secret wife and kids that we had no idea existed until recently. Ana shows up, looking as gorgeous as ever and she gives me her usual pat on the butt before she heads off to get herself a drink. By the time Callen, Della and Esmond arrive we have to move everything outside where a giant "Happy Birthday Mia" banner is spread out across the house. 

Thor's ship is the last one to arrive on the landing pad that's set up a short distance from the house, and we all cheer as the last group of people complete our gathering.

"Bestie!" Thor shouts out, hugging me as tight as he can without hurting me or the baby. "Little bestie." he says, giving Grant a high five. "And future bestie." he whispers, looking down at my stomach.

"Hi Loki." I say, seeing him come up behind his brother.

"Hi darling. Happy Birthday" he says, giving me a warm hug. "How are you holding up, is she giving you trouble?" he teases.

"Always." I reply, before looking over at Grant, who's playing with the other kids. "But they wouldn't be my kids if they didn't."

Loki laughs and then I see one more person come off the ship and come towards us.

"Hi Emory." I say, my tone of voice making it clear that what I really want to say is Oh look at that you two are still together just like I said you would. You're welcome.

"Hi Mia." he says with an embarrassed chuckle as he hugs me. "Are you ever not going to look at us like that?"

"No." I say with a victorious smile. "You guys doubted me but I made this happen and I am never going to let you two forget it."

Emory rolls his eyes as Loki just chuckles and leans over to give his husband a quick kiss on the forehead before they go off and join the group.

We laugh and talk for a while, most of us just catching up since it's been a while since we've all been together like this. It used to be a little easier, but with everyone off living their own lives and families continuing to grow, it gets harder to come together. But we always do on special occasions like this.

Eventually Steve stands up from his chair, gathering the attention of everyone as he clears his throat. "I know this is Mia's special day, and in her honor I'd like to say a few words." He looks down at me, his eyes softening with emotion. "Mia I want to thank you for the amazing life that you've given me." he says, already getting emotional. "Because this..." He extends his hand out, signaling to the whole group. "All of this...you brought it together. We've all been through so much." he says, looking around at everyone. "Every single one of us has gone through struggles. And more are going to come in the future. That's how life is, especially for us and the responsibilities we chose to take on." He takes in a deep breath and I squeeze his hand giving him some support. "There may be a lot of uncertainties in life, but there's one thing we can always count on. This family, right here, it's forever. No matter how far we are, no matter what direction life takes us, when we need each other, we'll be there. Always."

By the time he's done I feel a tear run down my cheek, and I wipe it away before bringing my hand to Steve's cheek as he sits back down. "That was beautiful, baby." I whisper, before leaning in and giving him a gentle kiss.

"After that speech even I want to kiss him." Callen says, causing everyone to chuckle.

Every word Steve said is right. We've all proven that time and time again. Even through the hard times, even in the moments when we literally wanted to kill each other, we worked through it. And it's because of that that I know, just like Steve said, this family is forever.

By the time the night finishes up everyone starts to head to their respected sleeping facilities. We're actually spending the whole weekend here together and while we do have a few spare rooms, some people found their own accommodations for the nights. The kids are in bed and once everyone is settled Steve and I head back to our rooms.

I am absolutely drained, but there is just one more thing that needs to be done. I pull out my phone, turning the music on until the soft sounds of Moonlight Serenade fill the room.

Steve turns around, the top two buttons of his shirt already undone as he gives me a look of disbelief. "Mia, you're tired." he says, as if he needs to remind me. But it's a tradition, one I do not intend to break no matter how pregnant I get.

"Dance with me?" I say, tugging on his hand and pulling him to the middle of our room.

He smiles, knowing damn well he's not going to say no. "Always." he whispers as he pulls me close.

We start to sway to the music, a little more gently than usual considering my current state, and I have to slightly tilt to the side to still rest my head comfortably on his chest. We dance in silence, just enjoying being with each other in these few moments of quiet that we get. I feel him take in a shaky breath as his arm around me tightens. 

"Are you okay?" I ask, running my hand up and down his back.

He lets out a small laugh, as if it's a silly question. "I'm so happy with you." he says  "Everything is perfect. You're perfect."

As sweet as his words are, I can't help but chuckle. "Are you drunk?"

"Drunk with happiness." he says.

I pull back so that I can look up at him. "That was so cheesy."

"You loved it." he says, grabbing my chin and leaning down to kiss me.

"I did." I say, sliding my hand behind his neck and pulling him to me again.

I smile, agreeing with everything he said. This is perfect.

"Steven Grant Rogers." I whisper.

"Yes, Mia Stark-Rogers of Revenia."

I smile, loving how my full name encapsulates every part of me.

Our eyes lock, and in his I can see all the love, the passion, and the determination that got us from meeting in the middle of his mission and nearly dying together, to dancing in our room, in our home, with our son nearby, and our daughter on the way.

"I love you."

"I love you more."

"Debatable."

—-------------------------------------------------

In tears...

Thank you guys so much for sticking with me through these two stories. I love Steve and Mia so much and it's so hard to let them go. But I'm also really excited for what's to come. I've already started planning and visualizing the next story and so I plan to keep my current schedule. I'll update on my insta if things take longer but the current plan is to post the first chapter of "I'm Not Yours" in two weeks. Thank you guys again. You have no idea how much you have changed my love.

Love you all 3000!!!!!!!!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

216K 8.5K 11
(Book 1) A new villain is threatening the Avengers. During a fight that the Avengers are bound to lose, something happens. Loki. He saves them, bu...
254K 5.5K 64
Rose doesn't remember much about her past, only how she got her powers. Rose's life completely changed when Thanos and the Avenger's came into her li...
2.9K 104 19
What happens when Tony Stark's little sister is finally shown to the Avengers after being kept secret for so long? Follow Violet on her journey as sh...
4.3K 240 30
It's only been a short time since Lacey Williams grandfather died, leaving her his ramshackle home in a remote rural area. The last thing she expect...