The Rise To Power; A Smallvil...

By CosplayCopia

The aftermath of Lex's possession by Zod left the Luthors disheveled, to say the least. With Tyla's powers go... More

Zod
Sneeze
Wilt
Guardian
Reunification
Outcome
Tranquility
Concealed
Hydro
Justice
Red
Intrusion
Potential
Struggle
Adversary
Architype

Stationary

19 1 0
By CosplayCopia

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based on and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

Night fell, and the blonde secluded herself in a sci-fi novel in the quietness of her bedroom. It was a long night for the Luthors. Tyla had launched her breakthrough with her stem cell research. They were one step closer to finding out a way to regrow neurons. Something that was just in its infancy, but LuthorCorp funding was helping it along. It gave her time to avoid Lex, who was busy uncovering his father's plan with rejuvenating someone past death. It didn't work the first time, so what made things any different now? But with her husband preoccupied, she was able to pick up her prenatal vitamins from the doctor.  She stared that the bottle, trying to find the words to tell Lex but lately, nothing came to mind. She knew eventually she had to say something but somehow nerves got the best of her.

She heard the door open from their bedroom and quickly, she stashed the vitamin bottle in the drawer of her side table. She was settling back into her book when Lex walked in. He was tired but it didn't rid the look of skepticism that he gave her. "I didn't expect you awake," he said, trying to rid his business demeanor for something more loving but her shifting bothered him. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah," she squeaked. "Why wouldn't I be?"

He took a step closer and kissed the top of her head. "For one, we haven't seen much of each other lately," he pondered. "I was suspecting that it was something I did." She was about to say yes, as a matter of sorts but instead she shook her head quickly as she bookmarked her page. "Ty...you've been distant since Thanksgiving. Are you sure you're okay?" He reached over to caress her arm. "You know you can tell me anything, right? I'll always be here for you. Always."

A small smile passed her lips. "I know," she whispered. She leaned over and kissed him softly on the cheek. "Just come to bed?"

It was enough for him to believe her. He was trusting her that she would sort out whatever is on her mind before she told him. Her process was still something that he needed to get used to. He shrugged on a shirt and his sweatpants before he pulled back the covers. She looked up at him and patted at the spot next to her, jokingly before he slipped into the covers. With one arm wrapped around her waist, he leaned in to kiss her. "Have I mentioned to you how much I enjoy seeing you in our bed?" He teased.

"Perhaps once or twice," she replied with a soft giggle. She lifted her finger to press against his lips before giving him a word of caution. "Not tonight, baby."

Just then an alarm blared in their ears. It caused the two of them to flinch. Several security officers barged into the master bedroom and Tyla curled against her nightgown. She eyed all the pistols that were waved around the room, investigating for an intrusion. Instantly, Lex got up and moved to help Tyla off the bed. "Mr. Luthor. Mrs. Luthor, there's a been a breach," one of the guards said.

"What's the code?" Lex asked immediately, letting two of the guards flock to Tyla to whisk her away.

"142."

The blonde blinked. "What's code 142?"

"Everything's gonna be fine. We're safe," he reassured her as the group made their way towards the panic room in the study.

"Lex...we don't have a safe code," she added. "What's 142?"

"I'll tell you everything once we're in the panic room." He followed the security officers as each corner was met with lights and an officer yelling that the area was clear over the shrieking alarm. There was a rush in his ears, more from the blood that pumped up as he watched Tyla look around the study in confusion.

"Mrs. Luthor, right this way, come on," one of the officers said.

Lex stopped frozen in his tracks. He felt electricity buzz through him. He stared into Tyla's eyes in horror and yelled out in pain before he felt like his world was going dark.

But all Tyla saw was a static rush pouring through her husband's body. "Lex?" She said, turning around. She watched as the current that ran through his body turned gray and then he disappeared in a flash. "Lex!" She pulled away from the officer who grabbed her arm and moved forward. "Where'd he go?"

"Mrs. Luthor, we've got to get in the panic room!" The officer yelled, reaching over to pull her into the room.

"Lex!" She called out, saying his name over and over as the door shut.

****

As the door closed behind them, Lex reappeared into the study, breathing heavily. It was now quiet. No alarm. No rush of security guards. No Tyla. He walked around, puzzled. Had they made their way out the door instead? He went to go inspect in the hallway, but his vision blurred, turning into static, and then all of a sudden, he was back in the middle of the room. "Tyla?" He called out, looking around. "Tyla?! Hello?! Is anyone...here?" There was no response. No indication that he was even making an impact. Outside seemed just as quiet. There was no wind. "What the hell is going on?" He walked towards the hallway that led out towards the grounds of the manor but once again, he saw static, and he appeared in the middle of the study. He was trapped. He let out a sigh. "This is insane," he growled, turning to his desk instead.

He reached for the phone on his desk. Perhaps he could call Tyla but instead, his hand turned into static upon his touch. He looked at his hand, raising it to him as it glinted black and white. More static. Odd. He looked around, trying to see what else he could do but he felt hopeless.

****

Tyla stood around her office while the officers began to sweep the entire manor. She bit her lip and looked down at her cell phone. Lex had disappeared. She had just called Chloe to tell her to come to see her. She didn't know who else to talk to. Clark was not going to come; she knew that much. As far as all the weirdness that had been happening, it seemed like the other blonde would know what to do or help. She would be able to aid the Miracle Angel in all things weird. She frowned, leaning against the desk as one of the officers came in.

"Lex's car is garaged. There's no movement on any financial accounts," he said, following a concerned-looking Lionel with Lana in tow.

"He must have taken the jet," Lionel said, trying to show a modicum of worry to his daughter-in-law.

"All negative," the officer said, looking towards Tyla for direction.

The blonde sighed, inhaling deeply before she nodded. "Leave us please," she said, softly. "Go find him. He can't just have dropped off the face of the earth. There's always traces." No matter how minute.

As the guard left, Lionel took another step toward her. He reached out to comfort her, but Tyla moved back and towards the window. "Tyla...please... you must be exhausted, at least rest."

"Lionel asked me to take you to a suite at the Metro Seasons Hotel. For your safety. If someone's come for Lex, then they're going to go for you now," Lana added.

Tyla shot an incredulous look. "You two getting me out of the way for something?" She asked.

"Why would you think that?" Lana asked.

"Oh, I don't know. Maybe because security refuses to let me see any of the surveillance footage "as per Mr. Luthor's orders." I don't think Lex would freeze me out from tapes in my own home." She narrowed her eyes at the two of them who looked almost defeated.

"Tyla, you're in shock," Lionel said. "They said you told them that you saw Lex turn into static and then he disappeared. It was dark, perhaps in all of the chaos-"

"I'm not crazy," she hissed. "What's 142?" She watched as Lana and Lionel exchanged a look. "You know what it means."

"No but we can find out," Lana reassured her.

"You're a terrible liar, Lana Lang." Tyla gave out a laugh of disbelief before she gestured them to the door. She knew that there was something that was being kept from her. Was it being kept from Lex too or was he involved? "You two overstayed your welcome." She added a warning, dismissing them.

The two of them sighed as they turned to leave the room. Tyla felt the uncertainty grow within her. She pressed her lips together and took every ounce of her energy to follow them out to close the door. But she pretended to close it, only peaking through the sliver of a opening to overhear the conversation as they made their way down the hall.

"Get me, Dr. Chavez, Lana," Lionel demanded, softly. "The Genome Technology."

"Yes sir."

*****

Lex heard the shriek of a car that could be no other than Tyla's Lexus. He bolted upright from the floor on the balcony and then looked around the study. He all but ran down as he heard the pair of footsteps that came from the front door. He started to call out her name, hoping that she would respond. "Tyla! Tyla!"

"Thank goodness someone believes me," Tyla said, tossing the keys into her purse. "You're the first person that doesn't think I belong in Belle Reve."

There was no recognition of his calling out. He rushed over from the downstairs steps to meet them. "Thank God, you're all right."

"You know as well as I do how strange things get in Smallville," Chloe responded. "Don't worry. We'll find him."

Lex waved his hands. Neither of the women turned to look at him. He ran forward and tried to wrap his arms around Tyla in an embrace. But he fell through, his vision became static and then he was standing right behind her in shock. He watched as the two women walked on.

"So, where exactly was Lex when he vaporized?"

Tyla walked over to the middle of the room and then looked up to the ceiling. "Around here," she said, before pointing towards the bookshelf. "I was somewhere over there."

"Oh no," Lex whispered. "You can't see or hear me."

"Well, doesn't Lex back up all of his security footage on the internal server? Even if his father locked you out, you've always said he was one step ahead of him." Chloe marched over to Lex's laptop and started to turn on the device.

The other blonde bit her lip. "To log in. I believe it's Julian."

"That's my girl," Lex sighed, walking over to them. If anyone knew him, it would be her.

"Okay..." Chloe said, looking through the folders for the footage. She rested on one that asked for another password. "How about a second one?"

"I don't know..." Tyla looked down. "I never needed access to them."

"Ty.... It's your birthday."

"Well, why don't we try "Tyla?" next?" Chloe typed the password, but the computer beeped back at her. "Ixnay. Do you have anything else?"

"Tyla! Your birthday!"

Tyla groaned and rubbed her hand against her eyes, feeling a headache come on. "Um...try my birthday?" She asked.

"Yes!" Lex banged his fist against the desk, but his hand went into static, and he almost fell through.

Chloe typed up the password and the computer beeped to life. The files were all covered in code. "Oh...he encrypted them." Not just anyone could get in.

"Damn it!" Lex walked away. He had forgotten that he had done it. Only a few keyboard strokes would make them useable.

It seemed like Tyla knew what it means. "The one time he listened to me," she murmured.

"Don't worry, we'll just upload the whole hard drive, and I'll work on it later."

"Chloe, the way he just disappeared, I worry that I won't be able to get him back."

Lex sighed as he watched his wife turn to the front of the desk, scanning around the study before looking back at Chloe who started to hook up her external hard drive to download the files.

Chloe gulped. "We're gonna get him back," she reassured him.

"I love you so much," Lex hoped he was getting through to her. He wanted her to hear him so desperately.

"I feel like his father is behind this too," Tyla added. "I said something to him. He knows more than he's letting on."

"It's the 142, Tyla!" Lex yelled, hoping that he could get to her. "It's one of his projects. He's funding it in-"

Tyla took a deep breath and shook her head. "I need my pills," she warned.

Lex blinked. "What?"

"Okay, um...how about you grab them, and we'll crack this back at the Daily Planet? Either we'll get a week's worth of footage of Lex sipping bourbon and diddling on his computer, or we'll actually hit the jackpot." The computer beeped again, and the download was complete. Chloe took the hard drive, stuffed it in her bag and then walked with Tyla out to the hallway.

"Tyla, wait, don't go," Lex turned to follow them but then there was a man who appeared in between him and his beloved. In a flash of static, the man was blonde, with a thin mustache and beard. His glasses seemed to reflect some source of light.

"How does it feel, Lex? To have your whole life ripped from under you?"

Lex stopped in his tracks and glared at the man. "Do I know you?"

"Well, you should. You were the one who signed my life away."

Lex's eyes widened. "You're the 142." He was what he was searching for before his father found out. He growled and lunged at the man but in a flurry of static, he passed right through him. He fell to the floor with a thud and a shout of pain. Lex turned around just as the other man disappeared into static then, Lex was left on his own again.

****

"I know that "Lex Luthor Lost" is a juicy headline but tell me again why we're searching for the root of all evil," Jimmy Olsen asked as he walked with Chloe, unbeknownst that Tyla was right behind them. She popped a vitamin in her mouth and then cleared her throat, causing the man to turn around and chuckle nervously.

"I'm doing this for Tyla," Chloe interjected, breaking the tension between the two. "We've gone through a lot. She stands by Lex trying to make amends. I've seen it."

"Women are such a mystery," Jimmy muttered as Tyla glared at him and pushed past.

"Finding Lex is a bigger mystery. Where's Clark when we need him?" She turned toward Chloe with a look of skepticism.

Both women cringed as Jimmy piped in. "What does Clark have to do with anything? What can that guy do that I can't?"

Tyla exhaled sharply and then looked to the ceiling in annoyance. She forgot that the photographer might not be privy to the fact that Clark was not like the rest. "You know what? You're probably right. Blame it on long friendships." She lied.

"Well, I can tell you that he wouldn't brave the rush-hour crunch just to get Chloe's favorite vending-machine cuisine, all so that the hunt for Lex is on. Which.... can I get you anything from the basement buffet?"

This earned a laugh from the women. Chloe could feel the jealous tone of her boyfriend but also the rising need to make sure that things were okay between him and Tyla. "Thank you, but I'm okay," Tyla replied. She was more preoccupied with finding Lex instead. Chloe's computer was running through all the algorithms possible to decrypt the files. It was a long process, one that made them tear away from the computer quite often. It was just after a while that the computer beeped and it popped up with thousands of files, dated.

"Okay, so I'm in," Chloe replied, sitting down at her computer. "I just have to pull up last night's footage and..." She pulled up a window showing Lex disappearing in a sparkle of static. There was bit of extra noise to his left. It too looked like static. It was barely visible.

"There's something there," Tyla pointed at the specks. She squinted. "Can you make it any clearer?"

"I think I can do that," Jimmy said. "It's gonna take some time." He looked over their shoulder and squinted as well. "I could barely make it out, but it kinda looks like an outline of a person."

Tyla gulped. Her hunches telling her that the someone was something unnatural. Something strange was definitely going on. She was about to speak her theories when her phone rang. She looked down at her pocket, puzzled and then fished out her phone. "Tyla Luthor speaking." It caused the other two to bristle slightly, only just.

"I know what happened to Lex Luthor." The voice said. Someone that she couldn't recognize.

"Who is this?" She asked.

"If anyone knows we're talking, we're both in danger." With that, the phone grew silent. Whoever it was, they hung up.

Chloe watched as Tyla blinked at her phone, unsure what to make of it. "What's going on?" She asked.

"Um.... nothing, maybe an update," Tyla mumbled before turning towards the computer. "Chloe, I have another favor. Can you look up at projects containing a code 142? I mentioned it to Lionel Luthor, and he seemed awful skeevy about it."

Chloe looked over to Jimmy as if to say that Lex wasn't the only Luthor threat and then nodded. "It's not much to go back."

"I'll give you my access if you need it," She started to say, taking one of the business cards on the table and writing down her access code. She pushed it across the desk to her and then began to make her way out the door. "I'll be right back." She ran up the stairs and out of the Daily Planet in a rush. She was about to make for her car, unsure where she was going to go until static hissed behind her.

"Did anyone follow you here?" It was the voice. He pushed up his glasses and looked down at her expectantly.

Tyla shook her head. "What happened to Lex?"

"I took him, and if you ever want to see him again, you'll keep your mouth shut and listen to exactly what I have to say."

She frowned. She balled her hands into fists. "That's not going to work unless you have a modicum of information that will help me know that you're not going to hurt him."

The man ignored her and walked past her. All she could do was follow him. "Do you know your husband has a secret lab hidden insider LuthorCorp Tower called 33.1?" He asked.

"I would have access to his files." She replied, defiant.

"That wouldn't make it secret!" The man snapped before turning back to her. "They run experiments on the people who have been infected by the meteor rocks. When patients are released from Belle Reve, instead of freedom, they get a one-way ticket to a secret laboratory."

She narrowed her eyes. She would have known about this. "How do you know all this?"

"Cause I was one of them...till I broke out last night."

"Why should I believe anything you have to say?"

"See, that's the point. Nobody believes me – I'm a former mental patient. But you...you're Lex's wife. Once you blow the whistle on this place, people will have to listen, right?"

"No, I mean..." She rubbed her hand over her eyes. "Where's your evidence? You don't have any proof. At this point, you're just slandering Lex."

"Of course, I do. I can take you there," the man showed her a purple and silver card that made her gasp. It was an access card. "You can see for yourself."

"Where did you get that?" She raised an eyebrow. If she went with him, she might be able to figure out what this patient was talking about, but she would also have to figure out how to release Lex. This man was the key.

****

"You said you were infected by the meteors," Tyla said as both she and the man rode the elevator. "What exactly happened to you?"

"I was an electrician, working up in a radio tower last year when the meteors hit. I got thrown off and somehow when I woke ...I- "

"You ended up with some type of ability." Tyla finished for him. He looked at her uneasily, wondering if perhaps she was working on this as well. "I know more than you realize. I...I've lived here long enough for some friends to get affected."

It put him at ease. "I can move through alternate frequencies. I can shift into planes of existence that nobody knows exist." It earned a look of disbelief from her. "Hey, if you think I'm strange, wait till you see some of the other people on this floor."

"If you escape, what makes you think they're not going to just grab you the minute these doors open?" She asked.

"If I have to sacrifice myself to get the truth out, then so be it." The man gave her a final glance and then looked up at the number counter as it reached to the 33rd floor. He swiped the security card and then the elevator stopped. Then the floor indicator beeped once more revealing 33.1. It was already putting the hairs of the back of her neck on end. "Besides, they're not going to grab you."

Tyla frowned. For once she wished she still had her powers back to defend herself. The man might use her as collateral damage. The doors opened into dank, bleak darkness. As they took a step from the elevator, the lights started to come on in waves. What was revealed was a vast and mostly empty space. "I don't understand," the man exclaimed. "This is wrong. It was here. 24 hours ago, it was all here.... the holding cells, the labs."

She looked around. It was nothing, the only evidence was a key card that seemed to stand for storage. She walked over towards a desk and looked at the papers that were scattered. One was a form, something that indicated moving, but she couldn't read it. She folded it quickly and stuffed it in her pocket as the man was trying to process, looking around frantically. "Where is Lex?"

"What did that bastard do with everyone?" He raised his voice and ran his hands through his short-blonde hair, threatening to pull it out from stress.

"I know that you believe that something was here but clearly nothing has been here for a long time," she started to say.

"I'm telling you; it was here!" He shouted.

"Okay!" She exclaimed, putting her hand out to try to calm him. "Okay, I believe you...just relax. We'll figure out where everything was moved to, but first I need you to tell me what you've done with Lex. I need to talk to him."

The man breathed heavily and then looked over at her. "I put him in a place where he can't hurt anyone else," he said, softly. It was almost an eerie calm. He started to flicker. Static started to consume him, and he disappeared.

"No!" Tyla ran forward and tried to grab him, but he disappeared on the spot, leaving her in what was 33.1.

*****

Lex paced around his study, sighing impatiently while trying to figure out how to get back to Tyla. Every second that he was gone from her was every second that the lunatic 142 was running around and causing havoc. He had only caught wind of the project when his secretary mentioned one of the scientists wanting to talk to him. He had no idea what it meant, and it raised a red flag in his mind. Someone was doing something in his stead. He was hellbent on figuring it out who but that was before he became trapped in this technological puzzle.

Static hissed behind him and 142 appeared in the study, walking towards him with a look of hatred on his face. "What did you do with 33.1?"

"I didn't do anything," Lex replied. "I think it's pretty obvious I haven't gone anywhere." He raised his hands in annoyance, looking around at his study which now he felt pretty sick of.

"Don't lie to me."

"It's the truth."

"The truth?" 142 gave a wry laugh. "The truth is you kept me locked up in a concrete bunker just when I was about to go back to a normal life."

"A normal life?" Lex asked, confused. "You think you were ever going to have a normal life? Whatever you are accusing me of doing, it's clear that the plan was never going to be in that case."

142 stared at him. "Where are the other patients?!" He raised his voice.

"If I knew, don't you think I'd tell you?"

There was silence between them before 142 spoke. "I didn't want to have to resort to violence, Lex," he started to say. "You're not giving me much of a choice here."

"Okay, calm down...we'll work something out."

But 142 started to panic, he was breathing heavily again unable to control the anger that was boiling inside him. "Maybe when I bring Tyla here," he noted. "We'll see if you talk." Static hissed around them and he disappeared in a burst of black, white, and grey. He left Lex feeling helpless, dreading what was going to happen to her.

*****

Tyla came back to the Daily Planet with the second wind of hope. She ran into the basement, where Chloe was sitting at her desk, combing through files that were shut away from even Tyla. It seemed like 142 was carefully kept close. She slammed the folded piece of paper on her desk. "It's not Lex," she breathed, trying to catch her breath.

"It's not Lex what?" The other blonde asked. A chuckle bubbled in her throat. She knew this game almost by heart now.

"Lex...whatever 142 is, it's not his project," she unfolded the paper and then showed the signature.

"It looks like it says Lex Luthor."

"Yes, but Lex would never write the t.h. like that," she said, pointing at the signature before setting it down. "I need you to do a handwriting analysis. Compare it to one of the projects that both Lex and I are working on."

"This is a long shot, T," Chloe said, picking up the paper. "It looks like he signed off on whatever this project is."

"Long-shot but it's something to go by. I've seen him sign hundreds of proposals and projects. If he wrote his name like that, it would have been smudged on the side. Where's the smudging? Look at our marriage certificate. The line across the "t" stops drags past the "h". This line just stops before."

Chloe raised her eyebrow. From personal assistant to heading her projects and now being partly an owner, she would know Lex's work regiment by now. "I'll give it a shot," she started to say before Jimmy came running over to them.

"I think I found something that you might like," Jimmy said with a grin on his face. He motioned the women to follow him as he veered towards one of the rooms in the basement. There was an array of classic-looking radio equipment. A few speakers lined the desk in the middle of the room. Both blondes looked at each other quizzically before Jimmy spoke again, typing a few strokes along the keyboard. "I was trying to see if I could find out what that thing was on the screen, but it looked like static, so I thought maybe I could bring out the static and I stumbled on this. All right, just listen carefully." He fumbled with a knob and there was whirring on the screen. The video showed Chloe and Tyla from this morning in the study. An outline of static was sporadically flying about as they talked.

"Password protected."

"To log in. I believe it's Julian."

Then there was a screech. So loud that Chloe winced and Tyla quickly put her hands over her ears. The static hissed and it went back to the two of them talking. "Right there. Did you hear that?" Jimmy asked.

"How could you not?" Tyla mumbled.

"That's a radio frequency. And after scanning all the footage of today, that sound kept coming back. So, I tried blending the narrow-band frequency modulation with the UHF modulation-" He looked up from his screen to see Chloe giving him a stumped look. "Okay, it's better if I just show you." He adjusted the knobs on the equipment and the static started to give away.

"Ty...I'll find my way back to you. I promise."

It was Lex on the radio!

"We're gonna get him back." That was Chloe's voice on the radio but now it sounded like Lex was right next to them. But the video only showed the two women.

"Oh, my goodness..." Tyla started to say just as Lex spoke again.

"I love you so much."

"It's him," she confirmed, looking down at Jimmy.

"Lex was in the room. You just couldn't hear him," he explained.

"Or see him," Chloe added.

Tyla took a step back, wiping a tear of joy from the corner of her eye before she spoke again. "He heard everything that we said."

Jimmy sighed. "Look, this may sound absurd, but I think that Lex may be trapped in another frequency. Okay, kind of like a radio.... the A.M. and F.M. are different frequencies but they move through the same space."

"Frequency? Like in static?" Tyla asked. "I think the person behind this is connected to the 142. I just talked to him, he has Lex, and he thinks that Lex put him in some lab where they're doing experiments on him, and other people like him."

"That's why you got the paper!" Chloe said. "That's why you said it wasn't him! Let me do some more investigating on it." The look on her face lit up, like all the connections started to piece together. She was going to get a hell of a story with Tyla's help.

"Can we communicate with him?" Tyla asked, turning back to Jimmy as he looked at the video.

"There seems to be some sort of frequency loop in the library, so as long as you're in that room, it might be possible. I actually have something better. If I can triangulate the signals in that room, I might have a way of squeaking Lex out of that frequency."

"We gotta go back then."

****

Chloe stayed behind. She told Jimmy and Tyla to go ahead to the manor while she investigated 142, and Lex's fake signature. It was indeed fake; something forged that only Lionel may have done. She had compared the word Luthor between his, Lex, and Tyla's writing only to find that the t.h. was significant in Lionel. The only thing was that the r was different. It didn't match anyone which could only mean that someone was working for Lionel or with him.

She then went through the rest of the hard drive that she downloaded the files from Lex. It seemed like he was onto his father's work. Along with copies of the forms and contracts that bore the fake signature were the building schematics of level 33.1. There were boxes in the schematic, with numbers. She stumbled on 142. She clicked it open but then the window popped up as file unavailable. Then the files started to close themselves and all of the files began to spontaneously delete themselves just as she saw the silhouette of Lionel Luthor walk through the door.

"I think it must be some kind of a glitch or.... I don't know much about this stuff, but I do know that when you hack into a secure operating system, you could pick up some very nasty viruses." He said as he walked over to her desk.

"I guess I better take that to heart," Chloe said, exasperated as she leaned back on her chair. She watched him as he moved over to her side to pretend to press keys to stop the files from deleting.

"Miss Sullivan, LuthorCorp considers any breach of security a very serious matter, and you know that."

"Do you?" She got up to face him. "Mr. Luthor, I'm trying to find your son. Tyla is trying to find him. There was no breach!"

"I appreciate the sentiment. In fact, I was hoping, being the diligent reporter you are, that you could provide a clue that would help me find Lex."

"Well, the only clue I had was a little lab called 33.1, otherwise known as "meteor-freak central" but you put a stop to that."

"You're not in high school anymore, Miss Sullivan. Meteor freaks is a bit passe. This is the real world." He looked at her indignantly and began to walk out of the office.

*****

"So.... you need all of the stuff from the car?" She looked around the study as she moved a couple of cases near Jimmy as he started to look for an outlet. All of Jimmy's equipment was stuffed in stacks in the backseat of her Lexus. It was obscuring her view on the way here. As she parked, she all but jumped out of her car to help him with the number of cases that littered there.

"If you want to bring him back....and you can talk to him," Jimmy replied. "He doesn't like me, you know."

"He doesn't like most journalists," she started to say about to turn to the corner to grab Jimmy's laptop computer. When she came back, she added to her previous statement. "He has a thing about people assuming the worst of him."

"He's made a lot of mistakes," he replied, but he heard Tyla sigh as she sat down on the floor next to him. He started to set up and he looked over at her. She looked defeated. "You really think he tries?"

"I think it's hard for people to separate Lionel from Lex. He feels it," she replied. "So yes, he is trying. Chloe will figure out this 142 deal and you'll see how separate it can be."

"He's lucky then. To have you give so much faith. I can see why Chloe trusts your word." He pressed two cords together and the generator started to hum. "Okay, I'm going to try to get the frequency here so you can at least hear him. Then I'll get to triangulating him. It might take a while, but it'll start with seeing him and then bringing him back."

Tyla nodded. "Should I talk to him?" She asked uncomfortably. "What do I say?"

"Whatever you want to say to your husband."

She gulped and got up. She scanned the room, wondering where she would need to look. She took a deep breath and then decided on looking at the ceiling. Somehow, she had it in her head that he was floating. Just like the particles of static drifting through the ether. "Lex?" She squeaked. "I know you can hear me. We're going to get you back...I'm...sorry I didn't realize it sooner. That you were here with me. You're always here with me." She took a deep breath, realizing her hands were starting to shake. "I...know how much you care. I know how hard you work for us. I know I've been distant too. I was trying to figure out what to say. I wasn't sure how I could but-"

It bothered her that she couldn't see him. She couldn't know that Lex heard her and rushed down the stairs to see her. He was now standing right in front of her as she looked around and talked. He wanted to reach out and kiss her, but he could only watch as tears started to fall down her face.

"I miss you, Lex...I really do. I don't know if I can do this without you. We're trying to get you back, but I'm really scared. I love you...so much."

"I love you too, Tyla." But he knew that she couldn't hear him yet. He looked over to Jimmy who was still turning on all of his equipment before fiddling around with the knob to look for the frequency.

Tyla sniffled and wiped the tears from her face. "Please...please don't leave us here. I don't want to have this baby without you." Jimmy looked up, stunned. It was the same look that Lex was giving. "I know I should have told you right away. I guess I just...I never thought-" She felt a jolt of electricity and then a hand rested on her shoulder. She turned around to see the man, 142 grabbing her. Jimmy instinctively ducked under Lex's desk, to keep from being seen. Tyla screamed.

"STAY AWAY FROM HER!" Lex yelled. The screens of the monitor and the laptop flickered with static. The radios shrieked and the lights in the room almost exploded with voltage.

Tyla looked around as the lights flashed wildly. "Lex, you are here," she gasped.

"I'm sorry I have to put you through this," 142 said, softly before turning her towards the bookshelf. He reached out a knife and put it to her throat. "Either you tell me where you moved 33.1...or you can say goodbye to Tyla Luthor."

"Whatever Lex has done in the past, I can make him stop," her voice shuttered in fear. "He'll listen to me." In her peripheral, she saw Jimmy peek up from the desk. With a shaken hand, she motioned him to wait, subtly.

"You hear that, Lex?" 142 raised his voice. "Even the love of your life wants you to come clean and tell the world what you've done."

"Let her go," was all Lex could say. 

"You can see him??" Tyla asked, trying to distract him. Through the corner of her eye, she saw Jimmy crawl on his stomach towards his equipment.

"Where is 33.1?" 142 shouted.

"I told you; I don't know!" Lex shouted back. "Now let go of her!" The lights started to flash again, and the monitors sparkled static like lightning.

"Lex! If you can hear me, it's going to be okay."

142 looked over to her, shaking his head. "Well, then, let's get this started." He started to press the knife against her skin, but he didn't see Jimmy sneak up and knock the man in the back of the head with one of the suitcases. The man fell forward to the floor.

Tyla breathed out, placing her hand on her neck before turning to Jimmy. "I didn't know you had it in you." She thanked.

"Why do you think my radio handle is "Jimmy the Infuriator?"" He let out a nervous laugh before 142 started to get up.

"Lex is a dead man."

"Don't let him get away," Tyla ordered before rushing over to the knife to kick it out of the way.

"He's not going anywhere." Jimmy lunged towards 142. "Where is Lex? What's the frequency?" The sound of footsteps echoed in the hallway. It caused Jimmy to look over to see Chloe enter the study. 142 started to shift, the static started to consume him. Tyla knew what that meant. He was about to disappear. She needed Jimmy, he couldn't go with him. She ran forward and pushed Jimmy off 142 then she grabbed a hold of the other man and disappeared with him.

"Tyla, what are you doing?!" Chloe exclaimed, running over to help a gasping Jimmy.

"Okay, that can't be a good thing." He managed to say.

"We need that radio frequency jammer now," she turned over to the equipment.

Jimmy ran over and started to adjust it. "I think I'm picking up on something." He started to say.

"Well can't you just find it and like...push something?"

"Sure...there's only like a gazillion frequencies to hone in on," he mumbled. He needed to hear them first. Maybe Tyla could break through.

But Tyla had fallen to the floor as 142 rolled away. They were in the alternate frequency; it wasn't much for them to do. But at least Lex was there with her. He rushed to her side. "Honey," he said, trying to coax her awake. She was barely stirring when 142 crossed across the room to pick up the knife. A wave of static shook and it was in his hand.

"She wanted to say goodbye in person," he sneered.,

Lex growled and turned around to rush at him. He tackled him to the ground, causing the knife to fly out of his hand. They grapple to the floor. 142 lifted up, kneeing Lex's side. Then as Lex fell back, 142 crawled over to grab the knife again.

Chloe looked down, seeing that the knife disappeared. "Jimmy, hurry," she warned.

"Whatever frequency they're in, I have to jam the exact same one," he started to explain.

"So, what's the problem? Do it!"

He chuckled. "Sure, no problem. There wouldn't be. Just that I'm getting too much interference." He turned the knob, and he heard some noise, it sounded like shuffling.

Lex and 142 wrestled. 142 snatched at the knife and raised it to swing at Lex. The billionaire dodged it and punched 142 in the face. He cried out. Static hissing all over the place.

"I'm getting some cross-talk," Jimmy added, hearing the cry. "Chloe, do you hear that?" He clicked the knob, trying to triangulate but it was a struggle. He had to move the knob much more slowly, hopefully, he could hear another sound.

Lex straddled 142. The knife was upright to his chest. They struggled, a fight between strengths as 142 tried to push the knife up to Lex. Lex grunted, using the final bouts of his energy to turn the knife onto 142. He pushed forward, plunging the knife into the man's chest. 142 cried out again, slowly becoming motionless as the blood pooled on his chest. Lex sighed and then crawled across the floor to where Tyla was just straightening herself up. "Ty...honey...I'm here."

"Lex!" She exclaimed. "You're here! You're okay."

"Why did you come here?"

Tyla looked over to Jimmy and Chloe who were struggling with the frequency. She realized that she was in the other frequency. "I had to find you," she said. "I needed to give you a fighting chance."

"You shouldn't have done that."

"I would rather be trapped here with you than never see you again."

"I got something!" Jimmy exclaimed as he stabilized the frequency. He started to triangulate to try and get the two Luthors to appear. "I'm getting them...come on..."

Lex looked down at Tyla's stomach. "Is it true?" He asked.

"Of course," she said. "I'm pregnant, Lex."

"I'm going to be a father?" He leaned in and kissed her. He pulled her tight in an embrace, not daring to let her go.

"Okay, if I bypass the oscillator and go direct. I can increase the agitator and-" Jimmy adjusted the equipment, flicking the switches. Suddenly, the lights and monitors started to short circuit. In a flurry of smoke, there was static whirring and a form started to flicker in front of them. Lex and Tyla began to appear from the static, corporealizing themselves back to the study. Jimmy looked down and cleared his throat, feeling uncomfortable watching the two of them kiss.

Chloe giggled as Lex and Tyla pulled away, looking over at them. "Welcome back."

*****

Jimmy sighed and looked at the cords that were strewn on the floor. Level 33.1 was definitely a bust. "Whatever was on this floor wasn't your typical cubicle farm," he mumbled. "There's enough power pumping in here to light up Metropolis."

"Something tells me it wasn't just for the fluorescent lights," Chloe quipped as she walked over to him with papers in her hands from the forgotten desks and shelves.

He sighed again. "Well, it's just a matter of time til I get to the bottom of it," he added.

"You really manned up and got right into this fight," Chloe said, impressed. It was agreed upon by her and Tyla that she would get the story to bring down Lionel. Not once was there a mention of a photographer but perhaps she could wedge him in somehow. It seemed like he was developing some skepticism when it came to Lex Luthor.

"Still wish Clark was here to help?"

"Come on," the blonde said with a chuckle. "Clark Kent can't hold a candle to the Infuriator." The two of them smiled at each other before the elevator doors opened and Tyla walked in. Immediately, Chloe felt guilty, but it was instantly realized that her friend was the one who gave them the extra key to come down here.

"Hey, find anything interesting?" She said coming up to the couple.

"Not yet," Chloe said, letting Jimmy clear his throat and walk off. She lifted up the papers in her arms. "I'm hoping this could give me a start. I've got to say that I'm peaked though. Lionel never sees me for social calls."

"You think that there might have been a secret lab?"

"I think this 142 was telling the truth but he didn't have all the facts."

Tyla nodded and looked down. "So, you know this wasn't Lex." They wouldn't be walking around so calmly during the day if he didn't give the two of them access, and Tyla was here checking in on them. They weren't the ones that they had to sneak past. "I actually came to say that Lionel is seven floors above us now."

It was the warning that made Chloe nervous. "Are you kicking us out?"

"No, but I can't watch over you here and do my job. Lionel has an extra pair of eyes now."

Chloe shook her head. "What?"

Tyla sighed. "I was hoping she told you already." She took a deep breath and blew it out nervously. It was as if she was chewing on the words. "He hired a personal assistant. Lana."

Chloe took a step back. She didn't know. In fact, the woman only said that she got a job at LuthorCorp but not what. She had assumed Tyla was the one who hired her. "No, that...would mean..." She would know about this.

The other blonde sighed again, feeling awkward as she pulled out another form. It was the employment contract that Lionel had Lana sign. She handed it to Chloe. "I think we might need to do another analysis," she said although this came out sad. Chloe looked down. Lana had written the date. 14th. The t.h. vaguely familiar. Then her phone rang, it was her own personal assistant. She was probably late for a meeting. "Take the time that you need but be careful," she warned, before turning around to walk to the elevator. "Tyla Luthor, speaking."

Chloe sighed, looking down at the paper. This was her friend, but it was clear what side she was going towards. Especially because of how close she was to Clark; it was dangerously close to blending two territories that didn't need to be mixed.

*****

Lex slammed the papers onto his father's desk, trying to find some shred of evidence that proved that his father was doing things in his name. Chloe told him about her findings, but he needed to see them for himself. He reached over to a folder, reading over the contents.

"It says on the door out there that this is my office...my private office," Lionel walked in with his arms outstretched as if he was saying that he came in peace. "Obviously, that doesn't mean much to you."

"You're doing projects in my stead now?!" Lex pointed a finger at him as he yelled.

"Oh, you must be talking about 33.1," his father replied. "It's just a clinic, nothing for you to concern yourself. It's not dirt that would soil our corporate image."

Lex scoffed. "Don't give me that. Your fascination with the meteor-infected started long before mine. I would think that your methods would have been a bit better though," he said with an air of disappointment. "Secrecy has left you a long time ago. So, what did you do with it?"

"With what?"

"33.1!"

"Oh, I moved it.... the whole shebang.... to a top-security location. I would give you the coordinates, but it seems like your lovely wife is pulling the strings," Lionel walked over to the chair across from his desk. "I suppose she didn't take my suggestion under advisement."

"Knowing you, it wasn't a suggestion," Lex mumbled. He was all too aware that Lionel loved his threats. He moved away from the desk and began to walk out the door. He needed to meet with his loyal partner instead. "I will get to the bottom of this, Dad. I did it once before."

"If a race is a game that you want to play, then so be it, Lex," Lionel called out, certain that he was still in earshot of his son. "You have your players, and I have mine."

****

Lex stood outside Tyla's office, waiting for her. It was the familiar click of her heels that made him smile now, anticipating. He felt like there were apart for months rather than a handful of days. But when he spied on her red stilettos, his smile turned into a frown. "Tyla, what are you doing? You should be off your feet. Not on heels and walking around. Have you eaten? Can I get you something to drink?"

It caused his wife to laugh loudly as she approached her door. Her fingers played with the keys before she opened it. "Lex, babe, I'm pregnant, not dying," she reasoned with him.

It made him let out a nervous laugh as she walked through. "I'm sorry. I just...I want to make sure you're okay." He said, albeit sheepishly.

"No, I'm sorry. I wanted to tell you differently. I just...I wasn't sure if Jimmy's plan was going to work. I was overcome with emotion," she started to say.

Lex reached for her hand and held it. "Ty...listen, this is the best news I've ever heard. The woman I love is carrying my child...our child. What more could I want?" He reached up with his other hand and cupped her cheek.

"Well now I know what to give a man who has everything," she joked, giving him a kiss before she smiled but then it faded. "I feel guilty. I wanted there to be a little more of a celebration between the two of us, besides your long-awaited return," she started to say.

"Well, I'm back," Lex replied, glancing over to where her personal assistant sat down the hall. "We could tell Mercy to hold everything, and we go home."

"Lex, I-"

"No, hear me out. How does this sound? A massive array of flowers and candles filling the room while you receive world-class treatment."

Tyla licked her lips together. She knew what he was getting at. A spa treatment from yours truly he would probably say later. "Ah," she giggled, reaching over to the door, and pushing it shut before she wrapped her arms around Lex to give him a thankful kiss.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

Pieces By Cece

Fanfiction

1.6K 105 23
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 3} A rocky road had revealed in front of Lex Luthor but at least, he was not one without his Miracle Angel...
915 56 22
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 4} In the aftermath of the second meteor shower, Lex and Tyla find themselves in the middle of an all-out...
1.3K 69 9
The Rise To Power; A Smallville Saga {Part 1} This is a short collection of moments where Lex Luthor finds a friend in the corporate world; Leaving h...
2.9K 147 3
This takes place after the end of Season 2. National City is still reeling from the Daxam invasion. A portal stands outside of the city proper, a chi...