Tranquility

A/N: I don't own Smallville or any characters and places in the DC universe. Nor do I own the episodes that these chapters are based on and contained from.

I also don't claim to be a writer. My inspiration is simply to get a creative outlet going.

I only own Tyla Nevin and what pertains to her character story.

____________________________________________________________

Lex stared at the chess board, deep in thought while he set up the pieces one by one. Tyla would be coming back at any minute from the Metropolis PD. She had made it her new LuthorCorp project to set up housing for reforming criminals, mostly for youth and young adults. She had recently taken that project back from Lionel, but Lex would be lying if he didn't say how much it worried him that she was in unsavory neighborhoods for the better part of the day. Especially if Lionel was once focused on them. He never cared about the community as she did.

The door opened and he looked up to see the beauty. He gave her a small smile as she set her bag and coat on top of the piano bench, then walked over to greet him. "Well, the jet is informed about this weekend. And I think my mother will be okay with the next weekend for Thanksgiving." She added just after kissing Lex on the cheek. "Do you think we could send the jet over for Oren and Ana?" She glanced over at the board and smiled before she sat down opposite him. However, she frowned as she looked at Lex. He had reverted back to stoicism. "What's on your mind?" She asked.

"Is Second Chance Halfway House part of your plan?" He blurted. It was a name that he often heard his father mention on the phone a number of times. Tyla's Tabula Rasa program may have included helping halfway houses through charities to build upon their potential.

She pressed her lips and then moved a white pawn one square up to initiate the game. "It might," she replied. "Cleaning up and investigating your father's handiwork is best worked from the inside out."

He moved a black pawn over to defend himself to goad her moves. He got up and moved around to lift her to her feet, wrapping his arms around her waist. "It's a little bold, don't you think?" He asked. "You know he's not going to like it."

"He might be preoccupied with something else. My projects were either a distraction or he's using them to fund something else." She wrapped her arms around Lex's neck. "You don't need to be concerned, Lex. I promise I will be okay."

"It's not like you're commanding howling wind anymore," he said. "I can't help but want to protect you."

She sighed. This comment wasn't coming out of nowhere. Lex was feeling scared. To him, she was vulnerable. "Well, for the sake of honesty, I might miss being Clairvoyant sometimes." She admitted. "I've even put The Miracle Angel on hold for a bit. I used to do favors for people and now I'm asking for them. At least with this project, it feels nice to do some investigating and helping."

Lex raised an eyebrow. He didn't know that she really enjoyed being useful to others. In a way, running LuthorCorp had put quite a distance for her. "And trying to find out my father's plans is helping," he concluded. "If this is the right thing to do..."

The blonde nodded and then looked over at the abandoned chessboard. She guided him back towards the couches and gestured for him to sit. "It is," she reassured him. "I just know it."

Lex didn't say much. Instead, he just wondered if maybe her former powers have left her more perceptive than before. He watched her move her knight in defense and decided to focus on the game. It did dawn on him that she didn't tell him to cease protecting her. Perhaps, he would do some investigating on his own.

****

Mrs. Luthor, this is Dr. Harden calling from Smallville Medical. I was the attending doctor during your last visits. I took a look at your stress tests, but it seems to me that the migraines that you are experiencing are due to something else. I would like to speak to you when you have the chance. You know how to reach me. Talk to you hopefully soon. Goodbye and Happy Thanksgiving.

Tyla felt a knot in her stomach as she heard the voicemail message. She wasn't sure what to think. She told the doctor that she felt dizzy and that she may have fainted a few times, but it was nothing that the doctor needed to do further investigating. But she excused herself out to the deck of her father's home, while Lex was taking both their bags upstairs. She dialed the number and pressed it to her ear. "Um...Hi, this is Tyla Luthor," she said, her voice more nervous than she would allow. "I thought I would call you back after my flight."

"Hello, Mrs. Luthor, I was prepared to give your results on Monday. Have you been having any more fainting spells?" There was shuffling of papers at the other end. Something that made Tyla increasingly worried.

She looked back to hear the commotion of Ana, announcing her arrival. The muted sound caused her to smile. She quickly waved before turning back to the phone. "No, nothing so serious." She replied.

"Still feeling dizzy?"

"I-uh, I felt it this morning but nothing orange juice didn't fix," she took a deep breath. "What is this about?"

"Well, looking at your levels, you're increasingly pushing your body to intake for two. So naturally, you're going to need more iron and certain vitamins."

"F-f-for two?! Are you saying-"

"Mrs. Luthor, you're pregnant."

She almost droppedthe phone. The next thing that she heard was the pounding of blood in her ownears. Whatever Dr. Harden was telling her, it was moot. She looked back to seeLex through the window, giving Oren a pat on the back before speaking with herfather. She took another deep breath and rested her hand on her stomach. Therewas a life inside her....and she was tempting fate by going against LionelLuthor.