Six Feet Under.

By wheelsvoid

The daughter of Hades went missing a year ago. Layla vanished from Camp Half-Blood near the end of the summer... More

SIX FEET UNDER
graphic gallery !
table of contents !
prologue !
ACT ONE
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
ACT TWO
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter eighteen

chapter five

100 6 2
By wheelsvoid

CHAPTER FIVE: STRANGE DREAMS

By the time the sun began to rise, the group knew that it was safe to get Alby down and take him back to the Glade. Layla had yelled at Minho for nearly an hour after she had gotten over her shock of remembering someone from her past—even if it was just a name—which he didn't bother arguing back with.

He took each insult with a nod before apologizing for leaving Layla and Thomas behind, which only made Layla feel guilty for yelling. Minho was scared, of course he ran.

The three Gladers slowly lowered Alby to the ground after untying the ivy, their muscles straining after a sleepless night of running from the Griever. Once Alby had safely landed on the ground, they let themselves relax before removing the ivy wrapped around his limbs. Layla hoped that he hadn't lost circulation, as she would feel guilty for being the cause of that too.

Then, Minho took the left arm while Layla took the right one, and Thomas took his feet. Thomas sighed as he lifted the boy's feet, "why do I always get his feet?" He attempted to bring humour to the situation after the long night they had had, and Layla was grateful for it.

She was the one to reply, "you ran into the Maze by choice—face the consequences."

Thomas looked baffled, "the consequences—?"

"Quit whining and start walking." Minho complained, albeit jokingly. Thomas complied nonetheless, walking down pathways and turning whenever Minho said to.

Layla was glad to feel the sun on her skin, despite the comfort she found in the darkness. It meant that she had survived a night in the Maze, which was still as hard to believe as it sounded.

But Thomas... he was the real hero. He didn't hesitate in his decisions like Layla did. He knew what steps to take next and how to outsmart the Griever with ease. He reminded her so much of a boy named Percy Jackson... but she couldn't quite remember who he was. Just the name.

Percy... Percy... Percy... her mind came up blank. She tried desperately to remember him, but all that came up was loyalty. He was loyal as Thomas was, and fought for those who he cared for. Layla knew that she had admired it in Percy, and she admired it in Thomas, too.

"Layla, careful." Minho's voice broke Layla out of her thoughts, and she realized she was stumbling as she spaced out.

She replied with a quick, "sorry." As she focused on Alby and getting back to the Glade, her arms growing more tired as time went on.

When they had finally made it, Layla could see the boys walking away from the Maze doors through slightly hazy vision. Upon hearing the group struggling behind him, Zart turned with a frown on his face, before slowly, it turned into a look of disbelief as he muttered something under his breath.

     Chuck turned around next, and pure joy and pride lit up on the boy's face. "Yeah!" He cheered, gaining the attention of the others. "Yes! Yeah!"

     Layla could hear the sounds of excitement from the boys up ahead, but she was too tired to feel proud of herself. Just a few more steps. The second Layla's foot touched the grass, no longer feeling the cold, hard concrete of the Maze, she began to lower Alby.

She let out heavy pants of exhaustion, just like the boy's did, and watched as Clint and Jeff began to look over Alby's wounds.

     "Watch out, watch out." Jeff warned, not allowing anyone to close. "Easy."

     "What happened out there?"

     "How'd you guys get out?"

     The questions kept coming, but Layla didn't bother answering. She couldn't believe that she had even lasted an hour in there, but she did. She still couldn't grasp onto the fact that she was more scared of heights than she was of Grievers—that was embarrassing. She was tempted to threaten Thomas not to tell anyone.

     "You saw a Griever?" Layla finally looked up to meet the boys' gazes, her eyes landed on Chuck. He had asked the question.

     Thomas nodded slowly, huffing. "Yeah, I saw one." He said, humble as ever. Layla raised a brow, growing more fond of him even then.

     "He didn't just see it." Minho interrupted, not caring about Thomas' humbleness enough to brush over the details. "He killed it." He announced, causing the other Gladers to gape at him in shock.

Layla could hardly believed it had happened herself. She saw it clear as day, and as disgusting as it was, it was an incredible thing too. Thomas had been the first Glader to ever kill a Griever, and that was something to think about. For once, the boys around him began to realize just how important he really was... but Gally? He looked furious.

Alby had been taken up to get medical attention, while Thomas, Minho and Layla immediately went to their hammocks or rooms and passed out. They had been given some time to sleep before the Gathering at Council Hall began. Layla was grateful for being allowed it, and probably would've punched anyone in the face who denied her of some well needed rest. Besides, the Med-Jacks had insisted they get some sleep, and neither Layla, Minho or Thomas were going to pass that up.

     As Layla slept, she began to dream. At first, it started off with things she couldn't understand. She was in the Glade, the sun was going down. She heard the panicked cries of the Gladers around her but she didn't pay them much mind. She was focused on the Maze doors.

     Four. There were four of them, which didn't made sense to her. Had they always been there? Layla was sure there was only one set of doors, so how could four sets of doors possibly be open?

     Then, the sounds of Grievers nearby sent a wave of fear through her. They were coming from every direction, and they sounded angry. She desperately tried to wake herself up, but she remained in deep sleep. It's just a dream! Wake up!

     Nothing worked. She was trapped.

     But then, as if someone was listening, her prayers were answered. The dream shifted, and she was left in complete darkness. Layla couldn't figure out if it was better or worse than the Grievers. It was scarily quiet, and so, so empty.

     Then, she heard voices. "No, I promise you... I heard her!" It came from the darkness—there was no face to match it too, but Layla listened. She could only listen. "She said my name—"

     "Your name?" The other voice sounded upset. A mix of anger and sadness, swirling into chaos. "She said your name?"

     The first voice sighed, "Nico, I know it's hard to believe but she did. And it's worse than that." There was a pause, "Nico, she was asking who I was."

     There was an even longer pause of agonizing silence, to the point where Layla's ears rang. But she ignored it, and thought deeply. She was asking who I was. Layla immediately made a connection, and frowned.

     Out loud, she said, "Percy Jackson?" She had asked who he was last night, albeit mentally, but she had done so anyway. The name was ringing bells, and she could tell the first voice was Percy himself.

     There was a gasp that echoed through the void, before he spoke again, "I just heard her!" He exclaimed, "she said my name!"

     Then, a sigh was heard, but as the second person, Nico, began to speak, a picture began to be painted in the darkness. Too boys stood in the distance, talking. She immediately recognized the taller one as Percy, as he wasn't speaking and he seemed more excited than Nico.

     Percy had startling sea green eyes, and a white streak of hair was seen clearly in the rest of his dark black hair. He wore a bright orange shirt, and blue jeans to match. Nico, on the other hand, was wearing all black. His shirt had dancing skeletons on it, which amused Layla, and his pale skin brought out his dark brown eyes and black hair.

     "Percy," Nico said, "it's been over two years and we've had nothing. No signs, no contact with her, nothing. Now you're telling me that you're hearing voices in your head?" Nico seemed to be in disbelief, but she could hear the slightest bit of hope in his voice.

     "Nico," Percy said calmly, looking down to the shorter boy. "I promise you, I would never lie about this." Nico still looked hesitant, so Percy continued. "I'll... I'll talk to Chiron about it. I'll see if he knows anything. Maybe Layla's trying to send us a message."

     Layla stilled. They were talking about her. These people knew her. They were people who cared about her, and wanted to find her. She felt a warm feeling in her chest at being wanted, and at the fact that somewhere out there, people were looking.

     Then, as Layla nearly got lost in her thoughts, Percy Jackson turned to face her and his widened impossibly wide, before the dream ended and Layla woke in a cold sweat.

     Minho stood at the door, frowning, before saying, "it's time."

     All boys sat around in chairs for the Gathering, aside from a select few and Layla. Thomas was seated in a chair placed in front of everyone, as Gally went on about rules and punishments. "Things are changing." He said, causing the boys to stop talking as they began to listen. "There's no denying that. First, Ben gets stung in broad daylight. And then Alby. And now our Greenie, here, has taken it upon himself... to go into the Maze. Which is a clear violation of our rules here."

     "Yeah..." Fry mumbled softly, "but he saved Alby's life."

     Gally raised a brow, "did he?"

     Layla scoffed, "well, even if he didn't, he sure as hell helped Minho and I." A few boys nodded their heads in agreement, including Minho.

     Gally nearly rolled his eyes at her comment. "For three years," he decided to ignore her, causing Layla to send him a harsh glare. Minho put a hand on her shoulder to hold her back. "We have coexisted with these things. And now, you've killed one of them. Who knows what that could mean for us?" Gally went on.

     Newt lifted his head up, looking up at Gally as he leaned against a post. "Well, what do you suggest we do?"

     Gally pursed his lips, shrugging as if it were obvious. "He has to be punished." The Gladers immediately began to disagree, Layla included.

     "Whoa, whoa!"

     "Come on!"

     "He killed a Griever!"

     "Minho, Layla." Newt stopped the complaints with just two names, keeping everyone on track. "You were there with him. What do you think?"

     Minho and Layla made eye contact, and he nodded, telling her to go first. Layla exhaled, looking around at the boys before turning to face Newt. "I was with Thomas the entire time. He showed leadership, and bravery, and kept me from running off and probably getting myself killed. I think that punishing him for that is... probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard." She said, causing Gally to scowl. "And if anything, we should be working to be more like him."

     She glanced at Thomas, who looked surprised, but thankful. She nodded at him, watching as a small smile appeared on his face, but he looked down to hide it.

     Minho was silent for a few moments as he thought, his arms crossed. "I think..." he finally spoke up, "in all the time we've been here... no one's ever killed a Griever before." Silence filled the room as Minho let them think about what he was saying. "When I turned tail and ran... Layla and this dumb shank," he pointed to Thomas, "stayed behind to help Alby." Thomas had a weary look on his face, as if expecting Minho to be on Gally's side.

     "Look," the Keeper of the Runners continued, "I don't know if he's brave or stupid. But whatever it is, we need more of it." Layla smiled softly, following his train of thought. Then, he said, "I say we make him a Runner."

     "A Runner? What? Minho, let's not jump the gun here."

     "Thomas! Thomas! Thomas! Thomas—"

     "If you wanna throw the newbie a parade, that's fine." Gally's voice cut through the rushed voices, causing everyone to look at him. "Go ahead. But if there is one thing that I know about the Maze..." Layla furrowed her brows as she felt a sudden rumbling in the ground, "it is that you do not..." Gally stopped at the sound of a blazing alarm.

     The Greenie Alarm.

     All of their worries about Thomas and the Griever he killed were suddenly the least of their concerns, and the Gladers immediately began rushing out of the Council Hall to the centre of the Glade.

     "Thomas, come on!" Layla rushed to her feet, quickly grabbing the boy's hand and dragging him outside as she ran up to meet the others.

     "Okay, wait." He mumbled softly, "I know that sound."

     "The box. It's coming back up." Chuck said in clear disbelief, quickly rushing to catch up with the others.

     "It shouldn't be." Minho's brows were furrowed, and Layla and Thomas quickly followed after him and Chuck as they ran towards the box.

     Layla slowed to a stop as Gally and Newt opened the box, looking down at it with confused looks on their faces. Layla struggled to push past the boys but eventually, she managed to do so.

     "Newt, what do you see?" Fry called as he stared down at him. There was a pause, causing Layla to tap her foot impatiently.

     Then, Newt said, "it's a girl." And Layla frowned before getting a closer look at the box. Her eyes widened when she saw the girl. She wore a white shirt, with a blue one underneath. Her pants were dark and her hair was laying wildly on the cage beneath her. Layla was more curious than anything, as this was the first girl that she could ever remember seeing. "I think she's dead." Newt continued, staring down at her.

     Layla frowned, not believing his assumption to be true.

     Gally furrowed his brows, pointing at something in the box. "What's in her hand?" He asked, and Layla quickly took notice of the note that was held loosely between her fingers.

     Newt slowly leaned down, taking the note. He quickly unraveled it, furrowing his brows at what was written on it. "She's the last one... ever." He looked up at the others, pausing for a moment. "What the hell does that mean?"

Suddenly, Layla jumped in surprise, her eyes widening twice the size as she looked down at the girl. Her eyes sprung open as she began to take in rapid breaths. "Thomas..." she breathed out, her eyes beginning to flutter closed once more. Layla immediately looked to the boy named Thomas.

Thomas looked around uneasily as all eyes found their way to him. The look on his face would've made Layla believe that he was just as confused as the rest of them, but she saw the familiarity in his eyes. He knew her.

Gally pursed his lips, glaring at all Gladers who had disagreed with him in the past, "do you still think i'm overreacting?"

—————
lizzie speaks...

unrelated but < minho 3
favourite character

related: the thing abt layla talking to percy in the void is her subconsciously holding onto her real world, and with percy she's able to finally connect to something bc she remembers his name. the more she remembers, the closer she is to getting home, and she can only do these things in dreams btw

btw ik nico said he knew someone died by a buzzing in his ears (he said that in botl right?) but i changed it bc i felt like it okay

"Then, as Layla nearly got lost in her thoughts, Percy Jackson turned to face her and his widened impossibly wide, before the dream ended and Layla woke in a cold sweat."

Layla:

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

27.4K 473 26
"I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm just so afraid we're never going to come back from this." In this last and final chapter of their story, Rosa...
552 38 16
The completed the maze trials but now will they complete the scorch trials. Have they escaped wckd or is it all just beginning? This is a Thomas x Fe...
69.8K 2.4K 24
The daughter of Hades went missing two years ago. Layla vanished from Camp Half-Blood near the end of the summer, leaving no trace of where she could...
61.2K 2.3K 40
Percy has no idea what is going on -- but then again, that's not really a surprise. There's these boys who call themselves the 'Gladers.' Stuck in a...