The Blood of Amietta

Door DreaMarinWrites

A loner with a bad attitude and a misplaced princess are forced to work together to free themselves from a hi... Meer

Harmed
I. The Diner of Poisoned Food
II. The Mayor of Moonwake
III. The Owner of the Pub
IV. The Sheriff of Moonwake
V. The Mayor's Council
VI. An Identity Revealed
VII. Family
VIII. Noelani's Promise
IX. The Double Agent
X. A New Vision
XI. The Lies We Tell
XII. The Prince of Nirasus
XIII. The Seal Unbroken
XIV. An Improvised Escape
XV. Goodbye Moonwake
XVI. The City of Ventura
XVII. The Smell of Wine
XVIII. A Journey Awaits
XIX. Roselak
XX. Arabelle's Disapproval
XXI. A Decision
XXII. The Southern City
XXIII. The Charmer of Kosa
XXIV. Captured
XXV. The Liberation Camp
XXVI. Where Oceans Meet
XXVII. Constellations
XXVIII. The Detour
XXIX. The Messenger
XXX. The Return
XXXI. A Sea of Mirrors
XXXII. The Motives of a Desai
XXXIII. A Familiar Face
XXXIV. The Wise Woman of Folnar
XXXV. The Pain of Parting
XXXVI. A Relationship Repaired
XXXVII. Twice Bound
XXXIX. The Gift of Clarity
XXXX. Storm The Castle
Healed

XXXVIII. Talk

58 6 0
Door DreaMarinWrites

Nervously, I pace back and forth in my cabin. It's well after midnight and I should be in bed if I'm expected to wake up at the crack of dawn. I won't sleep tonight. I'm too wired. A few hours ago a letter from Evadne arrived at the camp, filled with good news and bad news.

The Liberation camp has been secured with minimal damage. However, Reina has discovered our location, and she knows that we have the Niraki, which means that our time is running out. Noelani and I need to overthrow the queen as soon as possible

Freya has advised us to wait. Realistically, we have weeks until the queen would arrive at the Ranch, if at all. She might choose to bide her time instead, waiting for us to come to her.

I wonder what Noelani thinks about all of this– ultimately what we do is her decision. I feel odd– restless– not being able to talk to her about this. It feels wrong.

I'm torn. We are nowhere near ready to use the Niraki, but it is our best chance. If we just had a few more weeks...

I feel myself grow frustrated. I need to talk to her. There's no way around it.

"Noelani." I reach out, trying to remember the communication spell I casted before. Last time it was completely subconscious, so it takes me a few tries to get it this time.

"Noelani," I try again.

"You're back," she responds dryly.

I can feel how annoyed she is with me. I sigh– It's not like she doesn't have a reason. I bite my lip sheepishly. She's been trying to connect with me for two days, but I didn't want to break Freya's rules.

Yeah, right, a voice pipes up. You're just too afraid to hear what she has to say.

"I'm sorry," I say lamely.

Noelani scoffs.

"I am," I argue. "I'm sorry."

We're both silent for a few minutes. I don't know how, but I can tell that she's still there waiting for me to say something.

I sigh, feeling my anxiety rise– are we really doing this now?

"Noelani–" I start.

There's a sudden knock on the door before I can finish. I scowl at the piece of wood, frustrated with the interruption. Before I can really process what's happening, the knob turns and Noelani is standing in the doorway of my cabin.

I freeze, taking in her disheveled appearance. She's only dressed in a thin nightgown, which is surprising considering how cold it is outside. Her nose is bright red, for Deities sake.

Her eyes meet mine for a brief second– she looks different. I can't explain it, but she's not the same as before.

Noelani's face scrunches up as she takes in the crowded space. There's barely enough room in here for a bed and a table.

"This is much smaller than my cabin," she informs me dryly. "How have you survived the last two weeks in here?"

I chuckle, refraining from mentioning that this is a step up from sleeping on cots out in the Northern cold.

"I think it's cozy," I say instead.

The princess scoffs.

I ignore her snobbishness and grab her hand, pulling her into the cabin and locking out the cold air behind her.

"You're not supposed to be here," I remind her. "How did you find me?"

Noelani smirks, taking the four steps to my bed and making herself comfortable.

"Why?" she asks. "Are you going to tell on me?"

She leans back against the pillows, stretching out her back and simultaneously raking a hand through her inky black hair. I watch as she folds her legs beneath her, the fabric of her nightgown rising a few more inches. My eyes feast on the exposed skin of her smooth, caramel-colored legs.

"Mila?" she asks, catching my wandering attention.

"We should talk," I tell her, averting my eyes.

Because if we don't talk, I'm going to keep thinking about the fact that she is in my bed, barely dressed.

I blush darkly. This is too much to take in, yet my eyes refuse to leave hers.

Noelani cocks her head to the side. "Talk?" she questions with a smirk. "Are you sure that's what you want?"

I swallow hard. "Yes. Talk. That's why you're here, isn't it? You read Evadne's letter. We need to figure things out."

She stares at me for a minute– taking in my flustered state, no doubt.

"I was already on my way over here before you reopened our connection," she tells me. "I was going to barge in here and pester you until we worked things out. That was my plan."

"Was?" I ask, swallowing nervously.

She nods.

"And now?"

Noelani smirks, her eyes raking my body up and down. "Now I don't want to talk."

I take a deep breath, my heart pounding in my chest.

"But we need to talk," I remind her.

There's so many things to talk about, and I don't just mean Evadne's letter.

"How is it after all this time you're still so nervous around me?" she asks, ignoring my response.

I frown. "I'm not nervous," I tell her.

"No?" Her eyes glide over me. "Your hands are shaking, Mila."

I ball my fists, taking a couple steps towards the bed. "I'm not nervous," I repeat, firmer this time.

She raises an eyebrow and I sigh.

"You're here, in my cabin, after two weeks of not seeing you," I explain. "You've barged your way in here, taking over my bed– and not to mention the fact that you are half dressed."

I place a knee on the mattress, my leg dangerously close to Noelani's.

"I'm not nervous, Noelani," I tell her. "I'm just trying not to break Freya's agreement."

You shouldn't be here. But I refuse to say that to her because we both know that's a lie.

Noelani reaches for me, catching me off guard as she grabs the bottom of my shirt and pulls me fully onto the bed. I land half on her and quickly try to scramble away, but her arms wrap around my waist, keeping me in place.

"And if that's exactly what I want?" she asks huskily against my ear. Her hand wanders underneath my hemline.

I shiver involuntarily. "But the throne– and Evadne's letter," I protest weakly.

She groans, her motions freezing. "I think we've talked enough for tonight."

I frown.

"We can talk in the morning," she assures me, her fingers reaching up to smooth the wrinkle between my brows. "Please, Mila. Don't make me beg."

I blush. The thought of her begging makes me feel flustered.

"I mean, I wouldn't be opposed–"

She tugs on my shirt, pulling me closer and planting her lips on mine. Suddenly, all I can think is finally.

I kiss her back enthusiastically, my arms bracing my weight from crushing her completely while she tugs on the hair at the nape of my neck. My whole body is on fire, each section lighting up as she brushes her fingers across each body part. Her kiss is hot and tender, full of desire and a love so fierce that there's no way to truly describe it.

It's just her. It's all her.

She tugs at the tie around my waist, effortlessly loosening my pants and sliding them down my hips. My elbows buckle when she touches me, leaving a trail of goosebumps across my thighs. She places a hand on my hip, effortlessly turning me over. I don't even protest as she unbuttons my shirt to slowly kiss her way down my naked chest.

I gasp, my hands reaching to grab her head to slow her down. "Too much," I breathe out.

She pauses, peering up at me from between my legs. It's a sight I know will be burned into my memory forever– those thick, dark lashes, red stained cheeks, and that signature smirk of hers.

"I love you," I can't help but to say, my voice thick with emotion. I can't explain it, but I'm not afraid anymore. I just love her, and I simply want her to know it.

She leans forward, kissing me on the lips. "I love you too."

I smile wickedly, not missing a beat as I slip her shirt off. "I know."

I knew the moment she opened that damn door– I could see it on her face, raw and vulnerable in a way she's never been before.

She glares and I chuckle. "You're too cocky," she complains.

I marvel at the smooth skin of her chest. Deities, she's beautiful.

"You love it," I smirk.

She rolls her eyes, but she doesn't bother to correct me.

"Mila," she says softly.

I pause, my gaze lifting to reach hers.

She places a hand on my cheek, her thumb delicately tracing the curve of my bottom lip.

"This means something to me too," she tells me. "It's not just sex with you. It never was."

I nod, my vision going blurry with tears. I'm taken off guard by how much I needed to hear that– I had no idea, but she did. I lean my head into her hand, taking a moment to savor the feeling of just being in love.

Noelani's here. She's here in my cabin telling me that she loves me. Part of me never thought this day would come, and part of me knew it always would.

I know there are a lot of things we need to discuss, and doing so would certainly be a better use of our time. But I simply don't care.

I lean forward, kissing her lips lightly. "No more talking," I whisper playfully.

A beautiful smile takes over her features as she slips a leg between mine. Noelani's hand moves lower until it rests just below my waist. She caresses me softly.

"No more talking," she promises.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

5.5K 255 20
Avery always thought that she had her next five years planned out. Finish college, get a degree in psychology, start working, get back into dating wo...
15.6K 1.4K 29
A royal bloodline gets divided by rebels' attempted regicide, casting Alvina from her throne and into hiding, as Quinn, the bastard brother, is force...
8.6K 436 55
Being gay is hard. Like really hard. Especially for a socially awkward introvert like Queen, who grew up single for fear of being out there. When Que...
436K 28.6K 39
Highest rating: #19 in fantasy! Edlyn has never fit in. With her unusual white hair and silver eyes, she sticks out from her village of brown. To mak...