let it fly | cato hadley

Door seungielovebot

"I should be heading to bed," Cato said as he gets up from his spot before turning back once more. "Thank you... Meer

00 | Characters
- ACT I -
01 | Celeste
02 | The Rooftop
03 | Mentors
04 | Me & the Devil
05 | Cato
06 | Careless
07 | Limbo
08 | The Last Night
09 | Let the Games Begin
10 | The Aftermath
11 | Welcome to District Four
12 | The Beach
13 | Uninvited Guest
- ACT II -
14 | Katniss
15 | History Repeats Itself
16 | Deja Vu
17 | Tension
18 | The Deal
20 | Game Time
21 | It's a Bloodbath
22 | Fog
23 | Blood Rain
24 | Run
25 | Tick Tock
26 | Reunion
27 | The Real Enemy
- ACT III -
28 | District 13
29 | First Broadcast
30 | Be the Mockingjay
31 | Her War
32 | District 8
33 | Message for President Snow
34 | What Happened to Celeste?
35 | The Hanging Tree
36 | Rescue Mission
37 | Propaganda
38 | The Visser Siblings
39 | Back Home
40 | All Downhill From Here
41 | Squad 451
42 | Underground
43 | The Lizards
44 | War is Over
- EPILOGUE -

19 | Butterflies

2.5K 57 2
Door seungielovebot

"Knock knock," Finnick teased, poking his head into Celeste's room again.

"Are you going to do this every day?" Celeste groaned, sitting up from her comfortable position to face him.

"Every day? We only have like two more days left until we're in the arena," Finnick defended, though he was obviously joking. Celeste rolled her eyes at this, tossing a pillow in his direction.

"Yes, Finnick. How can I help you?" she whined, causing Finnick to chuckle and climb into bed.

"I heard about your little outburst from Haymitch. So you decided to join the rebellion after all?" he replied, shifting the tone to be more serious.

"I did. I wanted to see if he could offer me a better deal than Snow," Celeste admitted, looking at her hands.

"So that's why Snow called you? We all thought you were in trouble. It took like 3 Peacekeepers just to hold Cato back from following you," Finnick questioned, eyebrows furrowed.

"He does love using me," Celeste remarked.

"So what was the deal?" Finnick asked, moving on.

"He said that if I kill Katniss, then he'd make sure Cato got out of the arena alive," Celeste admitted, turning back towards Finnick.

"So what did Plutarch offer you?" he asked, leaning in closer.

"He promised to save everyone I love," Celeste confessed, a small smile now spreading on her face. She knew Finnick would never be able to know what exactly went down in that room.

"So Cato and your sisters?" Finnick repeated with a laugh.

"Haha so funny. It's more than just that,," Celeste replied with a playful eye roll.

"Yeah, okay. Whatever helps you sleep at night," Finnick teased, causing Celeste to throw another pillow at him.

"You know, I'm starting to think you're the violent one in the relationship. I've never had Cato throw a pillow at me," Finnick teased, rubbing the spot that got hit by the pillow.

"You're such a big baby."

-

A few hours later, Celeste and Finnick were getting ready for their individual assessments with the rest of the group. Celeste sat fiddling with her fingers as she waited for her turn, zoning out.

"Yo, Butterfly. I bet you can't get a better training score than me," she suddenly heard Cato tease, causing her to look up with a smirk.

"Oh, you're so on," Celeste agreed as Cato grinned. From the corner of her eye, she could see Finnick looking at the two, bewildered.

"You two are so weird," Finnick chimed in, playfully rolling his eyes.

"Hey, don't hate the player, hate the game," Celeste replied, putting her hands up in defense. The two boys laughed at that, shaking their heads at Celeste's comment.

"Cato Hadley," A voice suddenly spoke out, calling him in for his evaluation. Cato's face fell, once again realizing where they are. A common habit of his the past few days.

"I'll look out for your score," he mumbled under his breath before making his way toward the doors and disappearing.

Celeste stayed pretty silent after that, waiting for her turn. Eventually, Celeste made her way into the room and took one glance up at the game makers before sneering and grabbing her spear and a few knives. Celeste spent a few minutes brutally mutilating each dummy, imagining each one as a different person from the Captial.

Snow. Rosewood. Ambrose Wilkshire.

Though no one from the viewing deck would ever know that. To them, she was just another pawn in their game.

Once she was done destroying the dummies, Celeste viciously threw her spear, landing directly in one of the target's chests. 

No words. Just silence.

With one last bow, Celeste made her way out of the room as a few of the game makers slowly clapped.

"How do you think you did?" Finnick asked as soon as she exited the room. Celeste just shrugged and kept walking.

"I didn't do anything special. How about you?" Celeste replied.

"Same. Though I am pretty wicked with my trident," Finnick joked with a smirk, making Celeste laugh.

"Not like the scores really even matter anymore, anyways."

-

Later that night, Celeste, Mags, Finnick, and Hyacinth all sat on the couch, waiting for the scores to come out.

"No matter what, you two should know we're all very proud of you," Hyacinth cut in as Mags nodded. Celeste and Finnick both chuckled at that. Funny, just a year ago, they were saying the same thing to their tributes.

"We know you are," Finnick replied, smiling gently at the two. Celeste reached her hands out, gently squeezing both of their hands.

"Thank you. For everything you've done for us," Celeste added, causing the two to smile as well.

Their moment was cut short though by the TV blaring Ceasar's them song.

"Welcome ladies and gentlemen to the tribute evaluation. After three days of careful consideration..." Ceasar began to say, only getting about halfway through his introduction before Celeste zoned out, waiting for Cato's score.

Interestingly enough, Celeste, Cato, and Finnick all received the same score of 11. Hyacinth and Mags cheered at their scores as the two laughed. There was no way what they did deserved an 11. This was all just a big joke.

The two laughed even more when it was revealed that both Katniss and Peeta received a 12. A score so impossible, no one had ever received one before. And knowing both of them, what they showed in that evaluation room was definitely not worth a 12.

"They're really just giving scores out, aren't they?" Finnick joked, rubbing his cheeks from laughing so hard.

"Hey, higher scores make for a better show. Maybe they're just trying to make it more entertaining," Celeste replied, trying her best to come up with an actual reason.

"I bet Cato's proud of himself," Finnick commented, causing Celeste to chuckle again.

"He probably earned his. He seems very determined this time around," Celeste answered, shivering as she remembered how Cato sliced through the holograms.

"Yeah, determined to save you," Finnick shot back.

"Whatever keeps him alive, I guess."

-

"Wake up, Celeste! It's interview day!" Celeste heard Hyacinth yell out from the hallway, causing her to groan.

Celeste didn't bother getting ready for the day, leaving all the dirty work to her prep team. Instead, she opted to walk around in her pajamas.

"Nice outfit there, Princess," Finnick teased as they walked down the hall.

"Why get ready if they're just going to take it all off anyways?" Celeste argued back, causing Finnick to shake his head.

"Touche."

-

Finally, after two hours of getting her hair and makeup done, Celeste was ready for Cassiopeia.

"My gorgeous girl, you're here!" Cassiopeia shouted as Celeste made her way into the room.

"Here, I have the most gorgeous dress for you to wear," she continued, pulling Celeste towards a beautiful white dress that looked like a simpler version of her wedding dress.

"Oh my god, Cassiopeia. It's beautiful, thank you," Celeste gasped, covering her mouth.

"I wanted to give you one last spectacular look before you go back in," Cassiopeia replied with tears in her eyes.

-

After getting dressed and saying another 'thank you' to Cassiopeia, Celeste made her way backstage where the other tributes were waiting.

Interestingly enough, Celeste noticed the same Butterflies that decorated her dress embroidered on Cato's tux. Celeste laughed at that, but stayed silent, letting him concentrate on getting ready for his interview.

The group stayed relatively silent for the interviews, too focused on what the others were saying.

Cashmere and Gloss went on together, using the fact that they're siblings to their advantage. Next, Enobaria went on and once again exploited her vindictive attitude to get more sponsors. Finally, it was Cato's turn.

"Ladies and gentlemen, you know him as the vicious victor from the 72nd Hunger Games, Cato Hadley!" Caesar introduced as Cato joined him on stage.

Most of Cato's interview went relatively normal, asking him questions about his games and how he's liking being a victor, all of which Cato answered as his normal, charming self. 

Then, the questions about Celeste began.

"So, Cato. You know it's coming. Celeste, how do you feel about her volunteering?" Caesar suddenly asked, causing the crowd to go quiet. Cato also went silent for a moment, swallowing in resignation.

"I think Celeste did what she needed to do," he responded, much shorter than before.

"But how did it make you feel?" Caesar repeated, trying his best to get Cato to spill.

"I was angry at first and then it just turned to sadness. Her volunteering meant that one of us wouldn't get home. I just didn't want to accept that," Cato admitted, looking towards the ground as he spoke. Caesar sent the boy a sympathetic glance as the crowd all sighed in sadness.

"Well, I'm very sorry about that, Cato. Now, last games you mentioned how you were all ready to win. Do you feel that way now as well?" Caesar asked, trying to move on. Cato just let out a resentful laugh before shaking his head.

"I don't ever think I'll be ready," Cato replied, a bitter smile on his face.

"And why is that?" Caesar questioned, eyebrows furrowed in confusion, seemingly oblivious to Cato's bubbling frustration.

"Because winning in means losing Celeste," Cato finished as he looked into the crowd's eyes, causing the crowd to awe in sadness. Celeste swore she saw a few of the crowd members wiping their tears. Celeste stayed frozen at that, feeling the stares of the other tributes.

"You okay?" Finnick whispered in her ear, causing her to turn around.

"Yeah, I'm okay. I knew I was going to be brought up," Celeste replied, smiling sadly at Finnick.

Soon though, it was Celeste's turn to go and her mood suddenly shifted.

"You know her, you love her. Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome Celeste Visser!" Caesar introduced her with a smile. Celeste walked out with a grin as deafening cheers rang from the audience.

"My my, Celeste you sure look stunning. I must say, those butterflies do look a bit familiar. Are they the same ones on a certain loverboy perhaps?" Caesar instigated, causing Celeste to laugh as she looked at the butterflies. 

"They are, yes," Celeste replied mindlessly playing with the pattern.

"What do they mean? Is there some special meaning to them?" Caesar asked again, getting excited.

"It's a little inside joke between us. I was wearing butterflies on my dress the day we met," Celeste confessed, making sure to keep most things just between them. From the corner of her eye, Celeste could see the way Enobaria teased Cato for the matching outfits, causing her to giggle.

"That sounds fascinating! Now, Celeste. I've got to say, I was very surprised when you volunteered," Caesar began, shifting the topic.

"I was too," Celeste jokingly replied, knowing damn well it was a lie.

"Do you have any regrets about it? Now that you know that your lover and closest friends are going to be going in the arena with you?" Caesar questioned and Celeste watched the way the crowd leaned closer in anticipation. Celeste just shook her head and chuckled.

"I don't regret volunteering, no. I just don't think I could live with myself if I let Annie or Mags go into that arena again. You may not know this, but the games severely traumatized Annie, and I just couldn't watch her go through all that for the second time. Sending her in again would be cruel," Celeste admitted, a sad smile on her face as she played to the crowd. Though, she was glad she was able to throw in one last snide comment before she died.

"That's right. You were the one who mentored Annie," Caesar acknowledged with a solemn look.

"Yes. I was just trying to protect her."

"Do you have any other regrets?" Caesar asked, once again leaning closer.

"Just one," Celeste responded, nodding her head with a frown.

"And what is that?" Caesar asked, all eyes on Celeste.

"I think I'll always regret not getting to grow old by the ocean together," Celeste admitted, directing her teary gaze toward Cato. Cato froze at her words, tensing his jaw and looking towards the ground. The crowd all choked up at that, tears in their eyes. 

"Well, I must say, that was very touching. Now, Celeste. I have one more question for you. Are you ready to win?" Caesar questioned, once again causing the audience to lean in.

"I'm not planning to win," Celeste admitted, another smile spreading on her face. The crowd all cried out at that, upset at Celeste's words.

"Well, that's too bad. I'd just like to say, it's been a pleasure watching you grow into the gorgeous young woman you are today. I don't know how we're going to say goodbye to you," Caesar finished, giving Celeste a short hug before she bid her farewells. The audience was filled with cries and objections, seemingly trying to persuade Celeste to at least try, but Celeste ignored them, chuckling at the outburst she caused.

"Ladies and gentlemen, for the last time. Celeste Visser!"

-

Celeste spent the rest of the interviews on the platform, trying her best to keep her composure. One more night and she was back fighting in that arena. One more night before she loses everyone she loves.

Finnick joined her a few moments later, grabbing onto her hand for comfort. Celeste didn't pay much attention to the rest of the interviews, besides giggling at Johanna's outburst and clapping for her as she stormed up the stairs.

The only other people Celeste paid any mind to was Katniss and Peeta. Katniss came out in a lavish wedding dress, no doubt Snow's idea. But the thing that struck her the most was the transformation of the dress from a wedding dress to a Mockingjay, a stunning symbol of the rebellion. Celeste wished she could've seen the look on Snow's face when he saw the wings.

Peeta, though, undoubtedly, had the best interview. Not that it surprised Celeste, he had always been good at charming the Capital. The one thing that did shock her though, was Peeta's final line before leaving the stage.

"If it weren't for the baby," Peeta suddenly huffed out, causing the audience to erupt in protest. There were screams from all around begging for the Capital to stop the games or let everyone go back home. Celeste chuckled at his masterful plan before slapping a hand on her mouth, covering up her laugh by turning her head in Cato's direction. Cato wasn't doing much better, pressing his lips together as a smile began to form on his face. He too turned to Celeste and raised his eyebrows at the crowd's reaction, causing her to laugh again.

Really? Celeste thought. They're fine with sending children to the Hunger Games until it's an unborn baby? At what age does it make it okay to torture children?

She didn't get to think long though, because a moment later she felt Beetee reach for her hand as the tributes all raised their hands in unison, a sign of unity between the districts. A second later, the lights flashed off as the crowd continued to yell. Celeste laughed as she made her way down the stairs in the dark, reaching out for Finnick to stabilize herself a few times.

"Well that was interesting," she commented with a laugh, finally back in the waiting room. Finnick laughed with her as Johanna joined their group.

"What a shit show that was," Johanna interrupted, chuckling at the crowd's screams that were still going off.

"The best show I've ever been to," Finnick replied with a smile.

"Do you think they're going to cancel the games?" Peeta suddenly asked, making his way over with Katniss. The three others all looked at them with an uncertain look.

"Probably not. It would make them look weak and they hate looking weak. Who knows though, you really stirred up the Capital," Celeste answered with a reassuring nod.

"Celeste," Cato yelled out as he walked past, causing Celeste to turn around.

"Meet me up on the roof tonight, please. One last time," he whispered into her ear, causing her to nod. With one last smile, Cato walked away, following Enobaria to their suite.

-

Celeste was right. Snow didn't cancel the games, though not for lack of trying on the tributes part. So, one last time, Celeste made her way to the roof. As usual, Cato was already waiting for her, observing the quiet streets.

"It seems like the people aren't happy about the games still going on," Cato commented as soon as he noticed Celeste standing next to them.

"Not now, but as soon as those games start, they'll go back to cheering," Celeste replied, keeping her gaze on the empty streets. She was sure the Capital went on 'lockdown' after the outburst, being ordered to go to their homes while the Gamemakers pretended to debate.

"So this is our last night," Cato said instead, finally turning his attention towards Celeste. Celeste bit her lip as she nodded, keeping her gaze on the streets.

"I'm gonna miss this roof," Celeste joked, though there was some truth in that.

"Me too," Cato confessed with a hum.

"Did you mean what you said? About your regret?" Cato then asked, eyes boring into Celeste's face.

"Every word of it. I know we got a taste of it, I just wish it could've been forever," Celeste admitted, finally turning towards Cato with teary eyes. Cato blinked rapidly at her response, swallowing hard.

"I would've loved to grow old by the ocean with you," he mumbled, head falling ever so slightly.

"I know," Celeste replied with a sad smile, finger lifting up his chin.

"I don't know how I'm going to fight in that arena knowing you're in there too," Cato admitted, gaze softened.

"You have to, Cato. For me. I need you to try. And if it gets too hard, come and find me," Celeste whispered, locking her eyes with Cato's. The boy just nodded, blinking again.

"Okay," Cato muttered with a gulp, gaze stuck on Celeste. The two stayed silent for a moment, just glancing into each other's eyes until Celeste leaned in, connecting their lips. The kiss was short as Celeste tried to avoid getting her tears all over Cato.

"Cato, I really don't want to sleep alone tonight," Celeste mumbled as she pulled away, looking up at him with hopeful eyes.

"Okay, let's go to sleep," he replied, grabbing her hand and leading her toward her room. And for the first time since she arrived, Celeste felt at peace. Tomorrow, they would have to fight to the death. But tonight. Tonight was theirs.

Ga verder met lezen

Dit interesseert je vast

8.7K 313 18
Victor! Champion! Winner! All the words used to describe Y/n, words he felt were wrong. It had been months since he had won the games with Cato and t...
273K 6.9K 27
Aria Mitchell, victor of Panem's 70th Hunger Games, wanted it all to end; the pain, the nightmares, the exhaustion of living in hell under the devil...
10K 251 19
naomi odair, 72nd hunger games victor and her brother, finnick odair, 65th hunger games victor get dragged back into the games for the third quarter...
45.1K 1.1K 22
❖ Book 2 of 3 ❖ 【 Slow burn fanfic 】 ║ Catching Fire Reimagined║ It's the year of the 75th Annual Hunger Games. Isla Dunne, victor of the 73rd Hunger...