40 | All Downhill From Here

A few weeks passed after Cato arrived back from Two and Celeste had gone back to her usual business of avoiding Cato as much as possible

A few weeks passed after Cato arrived back from Two and Celeste had gone back to her usual business of avoiding Cato as much as possible. Only this time, she didn't seem to be trying as hard. 

Occasionally, Celeste would even allow herself to be caught by him, giving him a few minutes before returning to her duties. And while it wasn't much, it was still progress.

Besides her habit of avoiding Cato, Celeste often found herself training for war. At first, Celeste and her doctors were against the idea of fighting again, worried that the battlefield would only trigger her time in the Capitol. But President Coin did not seem to care about that. Not when she needed as many victors on the field as possible -- especially the victors captured by the capitol.

And Celeste, according to them, was the only suitable option seeing how damaged the other three were. In truth, Annie was never in the running to be the star survivor, not with her reputation after the games. And Peeta was too much of a flight risk to even consider, at least for now. 

So, that left Johanna and Celeste. 

After the numbers were dialed down, both girls were put into training to prepare for a test of eligibility. Katniss, too, joined them during training sometimes after she healed up making for a surprising trio.

"Have you talked to Cato recently?" Celeste heard Katniss mutter as the three begrudgingly stretched. Unlike Celeste, Katniss and Johanna had an urge to fight. But even they despised training.

"A little," Celeste replied, continuing to pay attention to her stretches.

"Remind me why you're not talking to him again?" Johanna cut in, "I thought your sessions with the doctors were going well."

From beside her, Celeste could hear a smack before Johanna let out a quiet yelp, causing her to roll her eyes.

"They are," said Celeste, finally turning towards the other girls, "It's just complicated."

"Complicated like your fear to apologize to him?" Johanna teased, shooting Celeste a knowing look. Celeste rolled her eyes at this.

"Alright. Changing topics," Katniss cut in, growing visibly uncomfortable by the two's dynamic. Johanna and Celeste let out a chuckle at that but swiftly moved on.

"Hey did you hear about the big wedding?" Celeste chimed in, smiling ear-to-ear as she thought about two of her closest friends getting married. Both Johanna and Katniss nodded.