35 | The Hanging Tree

"We have to get her out of there

"We have to get her out of there. They're going to kill her," Cato urged as he stood up from his seat, turning away from the blank screen to look at Katniss and Finnick. The two looked at their friend with sadness, clearly distraught by the program as well.

"I don't know if Coin will agree to that," Katniss mumbled, turning her gaze to her lap guiltily.

"She has to!" Cato yelled out before calming himself, trying not to gain the attention of the medics, "She has to."

"She could still be alive," Finnick said, trying to make Cato feel better, but clearly he was also distressed. 

"They won't kill her when they can use her as their prop."

"You saw her. She's not usable anymore," Cato argued, pointing at an empty screen.

"They'll find a way. Whether it's torture or manipulation. They always find a way," Finnick explained, glancing at both of them as he spoke.

"But for now, we need to remain silent here. If we let all of District 13 know that we're fragile, they'll no longer see us as valuable. And, we'll never get them back."

-

Cato went on a few days pretending not to know anything. He could feel the concerned stares as he walked by in the halls, but still, he refused to let them see him falter.

He needed to be strong. He needed to get Celeste back. 

So, he pretended to be a good citizen of Thirteen. Attending all his duties, training harder, going to meetings. Hoping that one day, he would be rewarded for his hard work. And yet, that day did not seem to be coming anytime soon.

"Cato," the boy heard as he finished his work in the kitchen, drawing his attention toward Katniss.

"Don't you know you're on propo duty?" Katniss joked, causing Cato to look at his arm in confusion. Oh. He must've read it wrong.

"Sorry. It's all just beginning to blur together at this point," Cato mumbled with a sigh, shaking his head to wake himself up.

"Well let's get to the control room."

-