Love in the Shadows (Book 2)

By writing_by_lettym

After having a rough start, Mia Connors and Steve Rogers are finally free to be together with the full accept... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 22

Chapter 21

3.6K 97 123
By writing_by_lettym

"Alive" - Sia

I feel Steve shift against me and my consciousness barely starts to come to when I feel his hand sliding along my stomach to wrap around me and pull me back against his chest. I feel him let out a soft sigh as his head nuzzles into my back and I'm starting to think he's just starting to wake up too. I slide my hand against his arm trying to let him know that I'm awake in case he is. I feel his smile against my skin before he presses a gentle kiss to my shoulder blade.

"This is all I want Mia." he whispers, his voice still half asleep.

"What?" I chuckle. "My naked body against yours?"

"I mean, that too but..." He shifts us so that I can turn to look at him before he brings his hand up against my cheek. "I want to wake up with you every morning." he says, leaning in and pressing a gentle kiss against my lips. "I don't care where we are, I don't care what we're doing, as long as every morning is like this."

I want this too. This is all I've ever wanted for us. And things seem to be finally  falling into place. The Loki thing settled, my questions about Revenia answered, and now...there's just one thing left to deal with.

We stay in bed for a little bit longer, laughing and joking and just enjoying being with each other. But eventually we have to get up.

We get dressed and head downstairs where Della lets us know she already has Thor and Loki in the kitchen cooking breakfast while she sets the table. And I love the command she has over the guys. I have no doubt Revenia is in good hands with her.

I go to help Della while Steve immediately goes towards Edmond, a huge smile coming across his face when the little guy reaches out for him. With Della's permission he picks him up, flying him around like an airplane before holding him in his arms.

"Seriously Mia," Della says as she nods her head in Steve's direction. "A kid."

I chuckle, knowing Steve and I already covered that subject. And yet, as I watch him play with Esmond, the goofiest smile on his face, I can't blame her for thinking it's what he wants.

"Speaking of children," I tease, "Where are Tony and Callen?"

"They went off together this morning." Della says, "Not really sure for what but I figured it was nice that they were bonding."

It is nice. I love the idea of my families bonding. Kind of wish Callen would give Steve that chance but I know that's going to take a little more time, and granted I'm probably not helping with all the teasing I give him.

Once we've set up, Della heads back into the kitchen to check on the guys while I go over to Steve and Esmond. As soon as I'm close Esmond leans towards me, reaching his arms out. I take him from Steve, holding him close to me as I gently sway him back and forth.

Suddenly a wave of sadness comes over me and I hold Esmond tighter. I haven't even left yet and I already miss him, all of them. I wish we could have stayed longer, everyone could have gotten to know each other better. But we have so many things to prepare for Velaria's return. We need to be ready."

"Are you okay?" Steve asks, noting the tears filling my eyes. I nod my head, managing to control all but one.

Steve steps closer, not asking me anything more about it. He understands what's going on in my head, and he simply brings his hand up, placing it on my cheek and wiping the tear that managed to escape. He leans down, placing a gentle kiss on my forehead. Esmond turns around seeing Steve and raising his hand, wanting to play their high five game from last night. They play their game while I hold him until Della comes back in, Thor and Loki behind her, all of them carrying food. They start spreading it out on the table just as Tony and Callen come back in. Callen sees his son in my hand, Steve with one hand around my shoulder and the other high-fiving with him, and for the first time since we've gotten here, I see a genuine smile directed towards both of us being together.

We all sit and eat, trying not to think about how quickly this is all about to end. Thor told Sif and Hogun to go back to Vanaheim with the ship at a particular time, so we need to make it back to Vanaheim when they do. We haven't specifically said it, but I think everyone here knows we're leaving today. But we don't mention it until we're done with breakfast and have cleared the table.

We're out of time, and we can't postpone it any longer.

Callen and Della, along with Esmond walk us all the way to where the portal to Zathea is; a secret I obviously can no longer keep from them. Emory and Callista joined us as we left the town and we all start to say our goodbyes to everyone. I say goodbye to my friends first, and after I step away from them, I see Loki approach Emory. It may not be something romantic, but it's definitely something.

"Do you guys really have to go so soon?" Della asks, a look of sympathy on her face as I refuse to let Esmond go.

I sigh, finally giving him back to her. "Unfortunately we do. We have a few pending things to take care of at home."

"Everything alright." Callen asks, giving me a knowing look and giving me one last chance to tell him the truth.

"Yeah, it's just..." I feel bad, I genuinely do, but I can't involve him in this. "We're kind of Earth's protectors. There's more of us back home but if something happens we'd like to make sure we're there."

"If?" he asks. "Almost seems like you're expecting something to happen."

I am...but then again given Earth's record, I always have been. "Something always happens." I say with a shrug. "It's part of the job."

Callen gives me an unsatisfied frown and I simply reach forward, wrapping my arms around him and hugging him close. "I'll come back to visit soon." I say, trying to hold it together. "With a new group of friends for you to meet."

He brings his arms around my waist, hugging my back, but I can feel his head slightly shake. "Mia..."

"They need you Callen." I say, needing him to understand that it doesn't matter what I'm keeping from him, he can't abandon the people here.

He hugs me harder, taking in a deep breath. "Why do I get the feeling you need me too?"

"I'll always need you." I say with a shaky voice, hoping this isn't the last time I'm going to be able to hug my brother.

I pull back knowing I'm failing at keeping things together. "Dammit Mia." Callen says, and I can see it all on his face. He's happy to have me, he's sad to see me go, he's angry that I'm keeping something from him, and he's scared that I won't come back.

"I love you." I tell him, knowing I will make it up to him somehow.

He sighs, wiping away all the bad feelings and giving me a soft smile. "I love you too, sis."

Callen then looks behind me and gives someone a small nod, and when I turn I see Steve at my side, his hand gently resting on my back in a comforting touch. I can see Callen relax, almost like he's okay letting me go, because he trusts I'll be in good hands.

"I'd ask you to protect her but we both know she can take care of herself." Callen says to Steve. I try not to react, knowing how ironic his comment is considering a few days ago I nearly died because I, quite literally, did not protect myself very well. "So can I ask something else of you?" Callen asks Steve.

"Anything." Steve replies.

"Can you make sure she doesn't do anything stupid?" he says, as if he's 100% expecting me to.

"Damn." Steve says. "That's a harder request than just protecting her."

"Hey!" I shout, swinging my hand and hitting him in the chest.

"I believe that." Callen says. "She's stubborn as hell."

I roll my eyes at both of them, almost liking it better when they weren't getting along.

"Yeah she is." Steve says, "And I love her for it."

I look over at Steve, annoyed because he knows I can't stay mad when he says cute stuff like that. I shake my head at him, but end up sliding my hand down his arm until I can intertwine our fingers.

Suddenly the five of us that have to leave shift back, all of us knowing this is it.

"Okay." Callen says, taking a deep breath. His eyes lock with mine and I see the determination in them. "I'll see you again." he says, refusing to believe otherwise.

I nod, wanting to believe that, knowing I have to believe that in order to fight.

We don't hug again, we don't say another hurtful goodbye. Instead we slowly start to step away, getting closer to the portal. We exit in the opposite order that we came in. Thor and Loki go first, followed by Tony and Steve.

I turn back to my family, giving them one final wave before I start to go through, and the last sight I see is Esmond's little hand waving at me.

On the other side of the portal my legs nearly give out as I try to keep it together. But Steve is immediately at my side, holding my hand tight and giving me the support he knows I need.

We walk across Zathea in near silence, no one really knowing what to say or do around me. It was a successful trip, and of course part of me is happy, but they can tell I'm still hurting from it. It's a bittersweet feeling and they simply give me a soft smile anytime I look at them.

When we make it back to Vanaheim we see the ship hiding along the back side of the mountains, Sif and Hogun already gone. We get in and prepare for take off, Thor getting us in the air and heading back home quickly.

Given the fact that we're all a little bit sleep deprived considering the time differences on the planets, Thor encourages us to use the beds on the ship to get some sleep. Steve and I head back to the same one we were in last time. But I can't really sleep, despite being tired.

I don't want to cry anymore, but I still feel all of the pain and sorrow in me. Despite having cried so much during this trip, there was also a lot of happiness going on that helped cover up some of those wounds. Callen, Della, Esmond, seeing Carol again, Emory, Calista, getting to see the beautiful night view. It's all left back there on Revenia, and now all the emotions threaten to come crashing out. I'm trying so hard to keep it together as I lay on Steve's chest, not even knowing if he's fallen asleep or not.

My jaw trembles, and I lift it off of him to try and keep it to myself, but based on the way his hand shifts on my back, I know he felt it.

"Mia..." he says, his hands wrapping tighter around me. "Baby it's okay." he whispers, the tenderness in his voice breaking through the walls I was trying to build up. "Let out what you need to. I've got you."

I don't know why his permission makes a difference, but I lose all the control I have. I turn my head into his chest as I just start sobbing, my hands clutching onto him tightly. Steve brings one hand to my head, cradling it against him as his other one rubs up and down my back. He doesn't say anything, no cliche words about how it's going to be okay, no attempt at trying to rationalize things, no coddling and telling me not to be sad. He knows that's not what I need right now. He just lets me cry, comforting me with his touch, making it clear that he's not going to let me get lost in the sadness. He's here, stopping me from drowning.

He lets me cry for as long as I need to, and never lets me feel like it's too much, like he'd hold me forever if I needed him to. But eventually I start to collect myself, bringing my hands up to my eyes to wipe the tears. "I'm sorry." I say, hating how much I've been crying this whole trip.

"You don't have to apologize." Steve says, clearly hating the guilt he hears in my voice.

I continue to wipe the tears that fall as I sit up. "I've been a fucking mess throughout this whole thing."

Steve lets out a deep sigh as he sits up too. "Mia, you act like you aren't allowed to feel everything you're feeling right now. It has been a roller coaster of emotions and you have reacted, honestly, better than I think some of us would have." He brings his hands up to cup my cheeks, his thumb helping me wipe tears. "It's okay to cry, it's okay to feel happy, it's okay to feel sad, angry. Feel all of it Mia, and know that I've got you, your dad's got you, your bestie's got you," He pauses and then sighs. "Loki's got you too." he says, as he rolls his eyes. "And back home you have so many people who love you and will be there for you."

He's right. Of course he is.

But I think I feel guilty because I know there's still a fight coming. I don't have time to be emotional over all of this. Because the second we touch back down on earth we have to go into immediate preparation. But I guess that's why I should get it out now.

Steve leans back against the wall of the ship, putting his arm around my shoulder and pulling me against him again. The crying has stopped but he still holds me, my hand gently caressing across his stomach.

"Can I ask for a favor?" I say, tilting my head up so I can look at him.

"Anything." he says, bringing his hand up to caress my cheek. "Mia I'd give you the world."

I smile, knowing he means that. "Can I start with something small?" I tease. "When this is all over, if I'm still..." No. I can't keep saying things like that. Even though I know there's a possibility I won't make it out of this alive, I don't want them losing focus and making mistakes just for the sake of protecting me. So I let the second part of that sentence go. "Can we take a trip together? It doesn't have to be anything big or far, I just..." We haven't really had a chance to be alone since we got together. After hiding our relationship, Steve nearly dying, me leaving for three months, Loki coming back, what Steve did with Sharon, me nearly dying, then coming to Revenia, not to mention the impending fight we're waiting on...

Damn, we need a vacation.

"I just want us to be alone together." I say. "Just you and me and no one else for miles. Maybe a secluded beach house somewhere?"

I can see the excitement in his eyes as a huge smile comes across his face. "Mia, that sounds amazing." he says, and it's clear he also thinks we desperately need this.

"Yeah?" I ask, not sure why it scared me so much to ask him for this.

"Are you kidding? I get to have you all to myself." he says, leaning down to graze his lips against mine. "It's a dream come true."

I chuckle as I slide my hand behind his neck, pulling him closer as our lips join.

We remain in bed the entire flight, even managing to get a little bit of sleep in before Thor calls us to buckle in and prepare for arrival. Once we're all ready he shifts out of the cruising speed.

A beeping noise immediately penetrates the silent ship the second Earth is visible, and it's not a noise we've heard before, and based on the confused expression on his face, not one Thor expected to hear.

"What is that?" I ask him, looking around as I realize it kind of sounds like it's behind us.

"Message signal." Thor says, putting the ship in a holding position and taking off his seat belt. I do the same, following him back to where there's a small panel and I watch with curiosity, and a bit of concern as he starts to push buttons. "It's been trying to get through for the past thirty minutes." he informs us, prompting a confused expression from the rest of us. So he starts to explain. "Midgard's technology isn't advanced enough to send a message that far. But now that we're close..."

Suddenly another, more familiar sound goes off, and this time it's Tony who reacts, reaching for his phone. He looks at the name and I see his entire body immediately tense. His eyes drift towards me, giving me a concerned look before sliding his phone, answering the video message and projecting it out for everyone to see.

"Director we're through." Maria Hill says, and we barely get a glimpse of her before she steps to the side and Fury takes her place.

"Fury?" Tony says, already knowing this is not good news.

Fury sighs, and I can see what looks like a cut on his cheek. "We have a situation." he says. I can hear the commotion in the background of the video, orders being called out, smoke rising, and what looks like rubble on the floor.

"What's wrong?" Tony asks and I can see his eyes scanning the video, just like mine were.

"There was a break-in at the S.H.I.E.L.D. detention center." Fury says, and then his eyes turn towards me. "John and Stacy have both been taken."

Shit...

"Who was it?" Tony asks, but I have a feeling we all know.

"We're analyzing footage but it seems to be the same people from Indiana."

Shit! We haven't even had a chance to plan. It's too soon.

"How long ago?" Tony asks, his eyes looking over at me, concerned with the fact that I've barely moved.

"About an hour. They worked fast, we barely had time to even respond."

"Was anyone hurt?" I blurt out, snapping out of the fear running through me.

"Five agents down and getting looked at, we lost three."

Fuck. That's blood on my hands. I'm the only reason they're here.

"Mia," Fury says, pulling my attention back to him. "We need to know what's next. You know more about this than anyone."

Fuck. He's right. Get your shit together, you need to be focused.

I take in a shaky breath, trying to clear my mind and think about what they might do next. Velaria made it clear she thought John was incompetent of doing the job she asked of him. So what reason would she have of going and breaking him out. What use could she possibly have for him?

"For information." I suddenly blurt out as soon as the thought comes to mind. Everyone turns to look at me, waiting for clarification. "John has been obsessively looking for me and trying to find a way to catch me. She wants to get information out of him so she can finish what she came here to do."

"Directory Fury." Maria says, pulling Fury's attention away as she hands him something. He looks at it off screen and we wait in dead silence for him. Beside me I feel Steve's hand slide into mine, reminding me that he's here, he's got me.

Fury and Maria have a quick conversation, and while we can't tell exactly what he's saying, it seems like he's giving her instructions.

"Fury?" Tony says, once he starts to get impatient.

Fury comes back to the center of the screen. "It looks like they got the information they needed from him. We have some activity happening in Aubrough."

No! Not again! Fucking hell, the worst thing to ever happen to that town was me showing up.

"Fury we cannot bring them into this again. They've been through enough." I say, knowing keeping the people of Aubrough safe needs to be our number one priority.

"I'm sending agents now, we'll drive them out." Fury says, clearly thinking the same thing I am.

Suddenly my phone goes off, and I rush over to my bag and grab it. I answer the video call, tilting my phone so the others can see. "Nat..."

"Thank god you guys are back." she says, sounding a little stressed out. "We've got a situation."

"We're talking with Fury now." I say, letting her know we're trying to get updated on everything.

"Good." she says, jumping right into it. "There's a large open field just outside of Aubrough if we draw them there it can still fit our plan."

I shake my head, feeling like we're completely lost here. "We thought we'd have more time. We barely have anything together."

"It's okay Mia, the important thing is getting them away from civilians." Nat says, not fazed at all. "We don't always get a heads up. This is kind of what we do."

She's right. I've done last minute missions before. But this one feels...different. Maybe because it's personal, maybe because it's not just about Earth, it's also about Revenia. It's about making sure my brother, my sister-in-law, my nephew, my friends, they're all safe back home. But in order to get that I'm putting my family and friends here at risk. And I know they chose to help, even though I begged them not to. People have already died today, and more have died in the past few years since I came to Earth. Simply because my brother happened to know someone, who happened to know someone here. We never could have guessed that all this would have happened.

But it ends today. All of it. No matter what.

"Nat I'm sending you a list of things to get from my lab." Tony says, already having hung up with Fury after agreeing to a plan.

"A suit?" Nat says, checking the message Tony just sent her.

Tony shakes his head. "No, I brought one. Just some modifications I might need." I don't see a huge pile of metal anywhere, so I'm assuming he has his nano suit.

"Steve?" Nat asks, looking towards him.

Steve shakes his head too. "I have mine, and I have something for Mia as well." What? Where? "I brought them just in case." he says, noting the confused look on my face.

"Thor, I'm sending you new coordinates." Nat says, typing into a computer. Behind her I see agents and a few of the Avengers rushing about, clearly getting things in motion.

"Got it." Thor says, imputing the new information into the ship's database.

"We're really doing this, now?" Loki says, looking a little overwhelmed at how quickly this all escalated. And we haven't even gone through the Earth's atmosphere yet.

"We don't have a choice." Tony says, turning to me. And I can see it in his eyes, he's just as determined as I am.

"We need to finish this." I say, refusing to let these tyrants ruin mine or anyone else's life any more than I already have.

"We'll see you guys there." Nat says, nodding her head before ending the call.

Loki steps forward, nervously clearing his throat. "I know I'm still on some sort of probation but, I'd like to help."

"Good." Steve says. "We're gonna need it."

I can see Loki holding his emotions back, but I know this is about his revenge too. He may be starting to accept my relationship with Steve, but that doesn't change the fact that when the Citrelian army attacked Revenia, his life was ruined too. It's the reason we were separated, it's the reason he thought I was dead. He wants to see an end to this as much as I do. I think it's the last bit of him that needs closure.

"Buckle up." Tony says as Thor starts to prepare the ship to move again. "As soon as we get low enough to travel across the planet we can suit up."

I take in a shaky breath, trying to clear my mind and focus.

"Hey, look at me." Steve says, grabbing my cheeks and forcing me to do just that. "You're not dying." he says, his voice stern, making it sound more like a command. "We have fought through too much for it to end like this. Do you hear me?"

I nod my head, the determination in his eyes fueling my own. My goal has been to put and end to Senkalth and his rule, to avenge my parent's death, and I didn't care if I lived or died doing it. But now...now it's different. I still plan to avenge my family, but now I'm determined to survive as well. I need to be the protector they raised me to be. For Revenia, and for Earth. I'm living for them...I'm surviving for them.

We descend down to Earth heading towards a new destination. Once Thor has us at a low enough traveling altitude we all get up to change. Steve pulls out an extra duffel bag that I didn't even know he had packed and inside is one of his traditional Captain America suits and a mission outfit for me. We change into them and then prepare ourselves as we get closer. 

I can see on the map that we're close, and I lean closer to the window to try and get a look at what we're dealing with. We pass over Aubrough and I can see the S.H.I.E.L.D. agents at the edge of the town, keeping a few Citrelian soldiers from entering. I'm confused for a moment, because it's definitely less soldiers than I was expecting considering she knows the kind of power she's dealing with. But the confusion is cleared up when we get farther out and see a larger group of people gathered together, the army in formation with Velaria standing in front of them.

They're waiting...for me.

In front of them is the open field that Nat talked about, behind them a small forest, a choice I'm sure they strategically made, because on the other side of that forest are their ships lined up, and right in the middle of them is...

I feel all the anger from everything that's happened come rushing over me, all my blame directed at one thing. "That's Senkalth's ship." I say, stepping away from the window and heading towards the back of the ship. "Open the back door."

"Mia–"

"Lower the ship and open it." I command.

He's here. The bastard actually showed up. And it's going to be the last thing he ever regrets.

I'm standing by the door, waiting for it to open when I see Steve step up beside me. I prepare myself for his words of disapproval, for him to tell me that I can't just jump into this without thinking. But the words don't come. Instead he pulls his shield from his back, preparing himself, not to stop me, but to jump with me. He turns and gives me one quick nod, silently letting me know...he's with me.

On my other side I see Tony come up, his nano suit extending along his body, covering everything except his head. There are also no words of caution from him, but instead the same look of determination.

"Your brother and I made you something." he says, holding his hand out and revealing a metal rod about a foot long. And that's when I realize, this morning when he and Callen went off together, this is what they were doing. I don't think Tony told him the full truth of what we were expecting, probably out of respect for me, but maybe Callen just wanted me to be prepared for anything.

I take it, noting it feels heavier than I would have expected. It's then that I notice a small indentation along the side of it. I press the apparent button and the metal extends out, turning into a long staff. It's a Revenian fighting staff, made from Earth's metals. Both my worlds come together into one weapon. It's perfect.

The back door opens and I can see that Thor has circled the ship around and is coming back towards the open field. The ship drops down low enough and as soon as we find a good spot the three of us jump, one after the other until we land a few yards away from Velaria and her army. Far enough that we can still control the situation, but close enough that we can make contact. We hold our ground, the three of us facing her entire army.

Since Thor's ship travels faster than a quinjet, we're here before the others. I just hope they aren't far, since I don't exactly know how quickly this is going to escalate.

"You just won't die will you." Velaria says, raising her voice so I can hear her across the distance between us.

"You would think you'd remember that and not come back to mess with me." I say, refusing to let her try and intimidate me.

Even from this distance, I can see she's annoyed. "This time I'll make sure to do it myself." she says.

I can't help but chuckle, because she's acting like she chose to walk away last time. As opposed to being knocked on her ass by Wanda. I wished she had stayed, Wanda would have ended things right then and there.

"I'll save you some trouble and tell you exactly how this is going to end." I say, taking a small step forward. "You're going to lose. I'm going to be the one who kills you. And your king is going to have to come face me himself. Let's save everybody some time and tell him to stop being a coward piece of shit and come out now."

I can see my words get her again, her reaction much more visible as she shifts her stance. She turns and signals to some people behind her. Steve, Tony and I prepare ourselves, not sure what she's doing. One section of her army separates and two guards come through, dragging two people behind them.

John and Stacy.

God, based on the way they're being dragged out here, it's clear they were taken against their will. After talking with a therapist it came out that Stacy was brainwashed, radicalized so she would help John find me. I don't think he knew what was going on with her. I believed him when he said he loved her and wouldn't do anything to hurt her. Which means it was people inside his organization that did this to her. People who probably really worked for Velaria and not him.

I know Stacy was getting the mental help she needed at that holding facility, and right now, she looks absolutely terrified. I can see cuts and bruises on her face, which means they were using her to get John to give them the answers they wanted. They may have been responsible for what happened in Aubrough last time, but when you look at the whole thing, they're nothing but pawns in Velaria's game, and they shouldn't be here.

Velaria brings her sword up from her back, preparing herself. Behind her the Citrelian army shifts, getting into ready positions. They're back in their normal armor, no longer trying to disguise who they are like last time. Most of them have their traditional swords, but I do see a few non traditional guns that they probably got from another planet, specifically to come and fight us. And, though it's only a few of them, along the edges I do see some of the soldiers with those sonic guns that really pack a punch. I know they take up a lot of energy, which means they probably only have one shot in them, two at the most. Luckily that means they'll probably try to save them and use them at the right moment. We need to be cautious of those.

"I brought reinforcements this time Mia." Velaria says, confident in the strength of her army.

As if right on cue, I see incoming quadjets behind them, coming across the sky as they get closer.  "Funny. I did too." I say, and I see Velaria's smile drop just as the ships pass over her head. She looks up, a little too late because the rest of our team starts dropping from the jets.

The first person to drop is Bruce...or should I say, The Hulk. I feel bad, knowing Bruce tries to avoid changing as much as he can, but I'm grateful for him being here to help. Nat comes out of his grasp and comes to stand behind me. I see Sam's wings pass over us, before Bucky lands on the ground, and then Wanda flies in, using her powers to lower herself down. A rush of wind comes by, and then Thor and Loki finish off the team we have here.

"Nat..." I say, wondering why we're missing a few people.

"Rhodey and Clint are providing ground support near the barriers of the town. Vision will keep an aerial view around the perimeter." she says, already knowing what was going on in my head.

The town may not be that big, but guarding the entire barrier may need one more person. I know Rhodey can fly, but if he's on ground support, that means he'll probably stay in one area to help."Thor..." I say, turning towards him.

"I'm on it." he says, not even needing me to ask.

It genuinely amazes me how connected we are as a team. It reminds me of how my family and I fought back on Revenia. And now it's how my family and I fight here. Together.

"The numbers aren't too bad." Nat says, looking around at their army.

"There's more in the ship." I say, knowing their strategy. "They'll send them out as they need to. Trust me we're seriously outnumbered."

"Good pep talk kid." Tony says with a clear sarcastic tone.

We're outnumbered, but not overpowered. I'm not worried...I'm not that worried.

We can see the other side starting to prepare themselves, which means it's all about to break loose. "What's the plan?" Bucky says, low enough so only we can hear.

"Keep Mia safe." Tony replies.

"No, you keep them away from Aubrough. That's your guy's goal." I reply, knowing I am not the priority. We already know they're here for me, that's what we can expect. But they might, and probably will try to use Aubrough against me as a distraction. Which is why I sent Thor over there to help Rhodey and Clint.

"And yours?" Nat asks, noting my choice of words.

"I don't care about the rest of them." I say, knowing the soldiers in their army are for the most part, also just pawns. We need to take out the people calling the shots. "But Velaria, and Senkalth don't get to leave this planet alive."

No one fights my orders, everyone seems to be on board. Velaria turns around, after telling her team god knows what about us. We don't know what their plan will be, but we have to be ready for anything. Velaria brings her sword up, holding it high for just a moment, before bringing it down.

The Citrelian army runs forward, kicking off our reaction. Tony and Sam get into the air, while the rest of us just start running. And then the chaos begins.

The first soldier to reach me swings his sword and I bat it away with my staff. I spin and swing it under his legs, knocking him onto the ground. I hear the swish of air and lean back just in time to avoid another soldier's blade. I dig my staff into the ground and use it to lift myself up, bringing both of my legs up and kicking her in the chest and sending her flying back.

I look over towards Velaria, and find her standing in the same position she was in before. She's not even bothering to move, and simply watching me fight off soldier after soldier.

Considering she says she wants to take of me herself she's probably just waiting for me to tire myself out. Which means no matter how hard she's trying to put on a brave face, it's obvious she's scared. I suddenly see her tilt her head to the side, as if hearing someone behind her, and then she turns around and starts to walk back through the forest.

I start to run towards her, dodging and pushing past every soldier that gets in my way. I don't know if she's trying to escape, but I can't give her that chance.

Suddenly I see a sonic blast go off, and I turn and see it hit Sam in the air. I run towards him as soon as he starts to fall, seeing that he's not going to be able to recover in time to catch himself. I put a platform under him, bringing him down to the ground until he lightly hits the floor. The soldier that shot him comes forward lifting his sword, trying to get him while he's down. I intercept his blade with my staff, pushing him back and then spinning around, letting the momentum allow for a hard hit on his stomach. I use my force field on him, pushing him down to the ground until he is unconscious. Once I can tell that he's down I run back to Sam, who is still recovering on the floor.

"Sam, are you okay?" I ask, dropping down to my knees next to him.

He groans as he lifts his head to look at me. "Have I ever told you how much I love you?" he says. "And how hot you look saving my life."

I chuckle, letting out a sigh of relief at seeing that he's okay. His wings on the other hand seem to have taken a hard hit.

"I think my jet-pack is out." Sam says as I sit him up.

"And your wings?"

"I think they're still in working order," he says.

I stand up, reaching my hand out to him to help him up. "I've seen you fight. Even without them you kick ass."

He gets up, shaking his head to try and recover. Since he was in the air the sonic blast wasn't in close distance, so luckily he didn't take too hard of an impact. In fact, it seems like he had his back turned, and that's why it's his jet-pack that's out and not him. He gives me a small nod and then we both turn and get back into the fight.

I fight soldiers as I try to make my way to the forest, needing to find Velaria. I'm not bothering to knock them out, just get them out of my way. But when I push back one of the soldiers, he doesn't stay back, instead he comes at me again. He's stronger than most of the others, which means the swing of his sword comes with a much bigger impact. I bat him off as much as I can, putting my staff on his blade and pushing it down to the ground. Suddenly he brings his hand up, swinging it at me and forcing me to back up to avoid getting hit. He slips his foot behind me, causing me to fall back until I hit the ground. He swings his sword straight down at me and I bring my staff up, blocking it from hitting me.

He pushes against me, the blade getting closer and closer and I'm struggling to hold it up. I can practically feel the blade against my cheek when suddenly someone comes up behind the soldier, hitting him along the head and knocking him off of me. I don't even get a chance to catch my breath when the shock knocks it out of me as I see John standing there, a tree branch in hand that he just used to save me.

Oh dear god I'm dead and hallucinating.

I don't really have time to question it because another Citrelian comes, this time aiming for John. I get up, putting up a force field to stop the swing of the blade, and then I swing my staff, pushing him back until a good hit in the head knocks him out. My eyes catch sight of Steve, fighting off soldiers around him, while one is sneaking up on him from behind, his gun raised and aiming right for Steve's head.

I start to run, so focused on Steve that I don't notice the other soldier that comes up next to me, and I barely get enough time to bring my staff up nto protect myself. I'm trying to just push past him, needing to get close enough so that I can protect Steve, but he keeps pushing me back. He manages to grab a hold of my staff and puts it in front of me, pulling it against my chest. I look up and see another soldier coming towards me with a sword, ready to take that final hit. I lean forward flipping the guy behind me and cause him to be the one to take the blade.

I look over, trying to find Steve again, and the distraction allows the soldier to swing the blade at me again. I lean back, falling to the ground as I feel the blade just barely cut my cheek. The soldier comes towards me but I block his sword, bringing my foot up to his stomach and tossing him back.

"Steve!" I cry out, just as I hear the sonic blast go off.

But when I look up I see that he wasn't hit, in fact he's still fighting. I look for the gunman and find his weapon pointed in the air, and Stacy tilting it up. She elbows the gunman in the face, and then pulls the gun away from him, tossing it to the side.

They've both been fighting with us...

As much as I appreciate the help, they are not fighters. They have basic skills but not enough to continue to hold up in the middle of this fight.

"You two need to get out of here." I tell John, swinging my staff and hitting away one of the soldiers that tries to get close to him. He gives me a curious glance, and it's then that I realize how that might sound. "I meant to get to S.H.I.E.L.D. agents so they can take you back into custody." I say, wondering how he could possibly think I meant that they can go free.

He rolls his eyes while continuing to fight for his life. "Offering to let me go back to prison." he says sarcastically. "How generous of you."

I turn around ramming my staff through the guy John's fighting. I kick the soldier to the ground before turning back to face John. "I could kill you right here after everything you've done. I'm offering you a chance to live...in a cell...but alive." Another soldier comes running towards us and I swing my weapon at him, hitting him in the head and knocking him unconscious. "And if I'm being completely honest I'm not even doing this for you, I'm doing this for her." I say, trying to talk myself out of just punching him instead. "You brought her into this. So it's your responsibility to get her away from the fighting and back to the S.H.I.E.L.D. facility that was trying to get her the help she needs." 

John nods, and despite never really doubting it, I can see it in his eyes that he truly does love her and wants to do right by her. It won't undo the damage he's done, but at least he can do some good for the woman he loves.

He starts to make his way to her, and I clear the path as much as I can. He's mainly dodging, focused on getting to her first. Stacy manages to fight off another soldier when she notices John coming towards her and she smiles.

And then we see a blade come right through her back and out of her stomach.

"NO!" John cries out, running towards her. I follow, keeping a barrier on either side of him to help him get to her. The soldier pulls his blade out, looking ready to take on John as Stacy drops to the floor. I throw my staff at him, the sharp end of it impaling him in the chest as he falls back.

"No," John whimpers as he drops down to the ground wrapping his arms around Stacy's still body as he lifts her up and holds her to his chest. "No baby please." he sobs, tucking his head into her neck as he starts crying. "I'm sorry," he whispers. "I'm so sorry."

I see soldiers coming towards us and I quickly put up a force field around us. I know we're in the middle of a battle, but if it had been me...if Steve...let's just say I'd let them kill me before I moved.

A soldier swings his sword at me, hitting my barrier. I flinch, but keep it up. He swings again, this time followed by another soldier, and I can't help the groan of pain. John looks up, his tear soaked eyes looking around and just noticing that I'm protecting him. He gives me a confused look, wondering why I'm doing this. And honestly I couldn't answer him if he asked.

"It's okay." I say, not even sure what I'm talking about. A soldier takes another swing and I feel that one harder, shaking my head to try and focus.

I see John's eyes darken as he turns back to Stacy. He cradles her head in his hand, kissing her forehead. "I'll see you soon my love." he whispers, before setting her body down.

Before I can even catch what he's doing he reaches over, grabbing the sword of the man who killed her, which was within the limits of my barrier. He stands up, swinging it towards the soldiers and I barely have enough time to drop my force field before he slashes it across the soldiers chest. He takes down the two guys who were hitting my force field before going after the others. He's fighting with nothing but rage, no concern for his own life and only focused on taking down as many of them as he can.

And then I turn and see someone watching him, coming through the trees, anger in her eyes to see him going after her army. Velaria pulls her sword from behind her and stalks towards him.

I grab my staff, pulling it out of the man's chest and start running towards her. But when John sees her he doesn't run, he doesn't charge at her, in fact, he lays his sword down. He watches her, hatred in his eyes, but he knows he won't win a fight against her. He doesn't want to win against her. I don't get to him in time when Velaria brings her sword up, pushing it through his stomach and out of his back.

She pulls it out, letting John's body drop to the floor. She swings her sword, letting the blood slide off of it before turning to me, already knowing that I'm coming for her. I lift my staff in the air, and then swing it right down on top of her. She pushes it away with her sword, but I don't let up, twisting and turning it in every direction I can, landing hits to her shoulder, her ribs, her hips and then her leg. She ends up on one knee and I bring my leg up to kick her in the chest. She grabs onto my calf, twisting and spinning me in the air until I drop onto my back. I swing my legs to get back onto my feet, dragging my staff with me so I can swipe it underneath her and knock her down. I bring the end of my staff down but she rolls to one side, avoiding the point of it. She lifts her foot up to try and kick me in the face but I put my staff up, causing her to change plans and instead swing her foot, flipping me over her. I swing my legs so that I still land on my feet and I spin my staff, holding it in front of me as I prepare for another attack.

Velaria swings her sword at me and I block her attack, she tries it again but I just tilt my weapon to stop her blade. I lift my foot up, kicking her in the stomach and pushing her back. She stumbles but quickly regains her footing, coming back to me and swinging her sword with a loud yell. I let her blade hit the middle of my staff and then I spin it, twisting her sword until it falls out of her hand and then I swing my staff, sending it flying across the field.

Without hesitation Velaria pulls out another weapon, a smaller knife, and comes right back at me. I'm constantly swinging my staff, blocking her non-stop attacks. I push her back and she quickly catches herself, suddenly swinging her leg underneath my staff and pulling on it. I quickly react, jumping into the air and following the flow of my staff, keeping a tight hold on it. Once my feet touch the ground again I spin around, letting the end of my staff hit Velaria's other foot and knock her down.

With her on the ground I try to slam my staff down, but she dodges my hit. I get closer and try again, but this time when she moves she brings her foot up, kicking me in the lower stomach and tossing me back. My staff falls out of my hand, sliding a few feet away from me. I don't get a chance to reach for it when Velaria comes at me again swinging her arm to try and get me with the knife. I bring my arm up, our wrists hitting as I block her attack. I lift my leg up, hitting her side with my knee, causing her to stumble back. I make a move for my staff but she comes at me again, and we exchange attacks as I try to shift us closer to my weapon.

I push her back, feeling like I have enough time to finally reach for my staff as I turn towards the ground. But I misjudge her distance and my fingers barely touch the metal when I feel her right behind me. I quickly turn, putting up my force field. She stops right in front of me, stopped by my barrier, but I still feel the pain. I look down and see the handle of her knife on her side, but the blade is stuck right through my force field, and inch away from my body.

I'm not actually impaled, but I can feel the edge of the blade, as if it was holding it against my skin. There's a few seconds where neither one of us knows what to do, both of us a little shocked at the situation. But Velaria regains herself faster than I do, and I suddenly feel her twist the knife, catching me off guard. My force field falters for just a second, but it's enough for her to make her move. She pushes forward, and by the time I manage to reseal my shield her hand is already through, my force field wrapping around her wrist, and her blade fully submerged into my stomach.

I let out a sharp gasp, the pain slowly starting to run through my entire body. A victorious smile comes across Velaria's face, knowing that she once again has managed to injure me. But her smile fades when I feel her try to pull her blade away, but her hand is still stuck in between the force field I've managed to keep up.

She makes the mistake of looking down and I use her distraction to my advantage. I drop my force field and quickly reach down, grabbing her wrist and twisting it until she releases the knife and I catch the handle with my free hand. She tries to pull away but I yank her forward as I lift the blade into the air.

With a small groan I can see the realization hit her, but she doesn't have much time to really think about it before she drops to the ground, her life ending with a knife in her heart.

Killing never feels great. No one should ever be burdened with the task of having to end someone's life. But after what she's put me through, after what they've put so many people through, her death feels like a necessary end.

It was either me or her...and once the adrenaline comes down, I remember the fact that it might just be the both of us.

I stumble back before falling to the ground, my hand clutching my side and immediately feeling the blood start slipping in between my fingers. 

"Mia!" I hear someone call out, and then suddenly I'm picked up and being flown away from the battle.

Tony's boots hit the ground as he sets me down gently, hiding us both behind a large boulder beyond the borders of the fight.

"I'm good." I say, not wanting him to worry. "I'm fine." Obviously I'm lying, I'm not fine, I'm kind of bleeding out right now.

With his helmet down I can see Tony roll his eyes at me as he leans me back against the boulder. He moves my hand and I see him trying hard not to panic. "I'm going to seal this to stop the bleeding." he says, bringing his hand up. "It's going to hurt a bit, okay?"

A spray comes out of his armor, stinging as it hits the wound. My hand reaches out, grabbing his free one and gripping it right for support.

I hold my breath the entire time, trying hard not to move. Once he's done I let out a sharp breath, feeling a little light headed from the blood loss.

"I got her." I say, the adrenaline rush starting to end and the reality of what I did finally settling in. "Dad, I got her."

"Yeah you did." Tony says, his hands coming up to my cheeks. "You're a fucking badass kid." he says with a smile on his face.  "It's time to get you out of here."

"What?" I say, barely being able to register his words before he starts to try and move me.

"You just got stabbed Mia," he says, and it's clear he's in full overprotective dad mode. "I'm not letting you back out there."

"No!" I cry out. "I'm not done, the son of a bitch responsible for my parents death is out there sitting comfortably in his ship." I'm so close. He can't do this. I'm not leaving. "With Velaria dead he's going to come out." I say, needing him to understand. "I have to finish this."

"Mia, this isn't a magic cure, you still have injuries." He looks sympathetic, but as his eyes travel down to my blood stained shirt I can see he's not convinced. "The answer is no."

"I wasn't asking." I say, knowing he can't force me. "We're the Avengers aren't we?" He shakes his head as he starts to stand up, probably trying to find the nearest ship. I grab onto his arm needing his attention. "You told me I was an Avenger." I plead. "Let me avenge my parent's death."

I feel bad for guilting him, because I can see how torn he is. But I'm not leaving this unfinished. "Okay." he finally says, and I can see how hard that was for him. "You're right." he admits. He crouches down in front of me, bringing his hands up to my shoulders. "You're getting out of here and I promise you, I'll take care of Senkalth."

What? That's not what I meant! "No, I'm not leaving. Not again." I say, remembering that the last time I was sent away mid-battle I never saw my parents again and I lost Callen for years. "I'm going to be here to help protect people." I could have protected them if I stayed, I'm not going to be left wondering again.

"I'll do it myself, I won't involve anyone else." he says, as if that's going to make me feel better. I wasn't planning on doing this alone, and I sure as hell don't want him to.

"Dad that's a suicide mission. He'll be surrounded by guards." I say. I'm the only one here who knows what to expect with these people. It would be stupid to send me away

"Well, if I die giving my daughter some peace it will have been worth it."

His words send a freezing cold chill down my spine. "W-what?" I say, hating what he just said. "What the fuck are you talking about, you dying will not give me peace." I shake my head, realizing we're wasting time arguing about this and I start to get up. "I'm going with–" I feel the hard impact of metal around my wrist followed by my hand and arm hitting the boulder behind me. I look over and see part of Tony's armor pinning me to the rock. "Dad what are you–"

His hands come up to my cheeks, forcing me to look up at him. "I promise I'm going to finish this no matter what. They're not going to hurt you again."

He starts to get up, but I quickly lift my free hand to grab onto his wrist. "No dad stop!"

His armor makes it hard to get a good grip and he easily slips out of my grasp. "Keeping you safe is all I care about, I promised your parents and I promised your brother!"

I reach over to the metal band against my wrist and I try to pull it off the rock, crying out when I get nowhere. "Stop! You're going to get yourself killed!" I say as he gets up.

"I've made peace with that."

He's determined, he's practically convinced he needs to die to give me closure on this. But this isn't what I want. I want to avenge my parents, but I don't want to lose another one to get it.

"You can't do this!" I cry out starting to go into a full on panic.

"I love you Mia." he says, giving me one last longing look before bringing his helmet back on.

Fuck! "Please!" I beg, clawing at the rock as if I could dig this cuff out. "Dad, stop!" I cry out as he starts to walk away. "No!" I can't lose him. "Don't!" I won't survive if I lose him too. "Dad please!" What have I done...this isn't what I wanted...oh my god if something happens to him Pepper's going to...oh my god...

"PEPPER'S PREGNANT!" I cry out, and Tony comes to a complete stop, giving me the first sense of hope that I can change his mind. His helmet comes down as he turns to look at me, unfiltered shock all over his face. "She's pregnant!" I frantically say again. "Dad please...mom's pregnant." I'm crying, sobbing. "Please, she needs you to get back to her." He starts to walk back to me. "She needs you. Your baby needs you." He drops to his knees. He's practically in shock from the news, his gaze unfocused. "I need you." His eyes dart to mine, the protectiveness in them changing from die for her to be there for her. A change I'm so grateful to be seeing. "Please don't make me lose another parent." I beg. "Dad please."

Tony's jaw trembles and I can see he's still trying to process all of this. "Why didn't..." He pauses, not bothering to finish the question. Instead he releases my wrist and pulls me against him, crushing me to his body.

I wrap my arms around him, clutching onto him like he's going to change his mind. "I can't lose you either." I say, needing him to know that this isn't a trade off I'm willing to make.

"You won't." he says as he pulls away, his hand coming up to wipe the tears away from my cheek. "You won't, I promise. We'll do this together."

I nod, glad he knows that's all I want from him.

"Can you stand?" he says, grabbing my hands for support as he starts to rise.

I nod my head, still feeling the pain where I was stabbed but knowing I can push through it in order to finish this.

Tony helps me as I regain my footing and we come around the boulder, coming back into the fight. But the second it's into view, we can tell something is wrong. The soldiers are circling around the edge of the battle, forcing everyone in towards the middle. From here it's easy to tell what they're doing. They're trying to trap them inside. If they can circle around them and get all of us in the middle, it's an easy finish. With Sam's wings out Tony is the only one who can fly up and disrupt their plan.

"Dad..." I say, knowing he needs to get out there. He turns to me, not really liking the idea of leaving me alone, but he knows he has to help everyone.

A soldier catches sight of us and runs forward, and it's then that I notice he has my staff in his hands. With a deep scowl on his face Tony steps up to the guy, dodging a swing before grabbing the staff and then hitting the soldier with a blast from his repulsor. The soldier goes flying back, leaving the staff in Tony's hands.

He turns to me, tossing me my weapon. "No one takes my kid's things." he says before taking off into the sky. He heads over to one end of the field, blasting a few soldiers and trying to create an opening in the circle they've made.

I run forward, wanting to do the same thing, obviously on a bit of a smaller level. I start fighting off Citrelian soldiers, trying my hardest to avoid letting them back me into the middle of the circle. Everyone I come across so far has come at me with swords, and that makes me hopeful that maybe we've been able to rid them of all the sonic blasters.

I hear the loud blast and I realize I was wrong. I turn around just in time to see Tony's suit malfunction and he begins to fall. I start running, pushing soldiers down and out of my way, just needing to get to my dad. I drop my staff on the floor and then use my force field to create a barrier around Tony, catching the full weight of him and his suit and slowing him down before he hits the floor. He still lands hard and I feel the impact of it, causing me to stumble and then slide along the floor. I look up, trying to get an indication that Tony's okay, and I see his suit turn on the floor as he tries to regain himself.

I look over and realize that Tony and I moment of distraction was all the Citrelian army needed to finish their plan.

Steve, Nat, Bucky, Sam, Hulk, Loki, Wanda, Tony and I are all standing in the middle of the circle, surrounded by Citrelian soldiers, most with swords, but those with guns start appearing, scattering themselves around the circle.

I quickly get to my feet, panicking that they might attack, and I bring my hands up, putting up a force field dome around us. It's the largest force field I've had to put up, needing extra room around the Hulk, and I push it out as far as I can, trying to give us enough room to move around if we need to.

"Mia, if they start attacking you're going to take all the impact." Loki says, not liking my decision.

"Then let's hurry up and make a plan." I say, looking around and trying to figure out what side is going to attack first.

But not one moves, in fact, the soldiers just hold their places, their weapons slightly lowered, no longer in an attacking position, though they remain cautious. I try to figure out what their plan is, when I see all of their heads turn, their gazes shifting over to the trees. I look forward, and everything goes silent, the only things I can hear are the sounds of my heart pounding in my chest, and every single staggered breath that I take, both of them extremely loud as I watch him come through the trees.

Senkalth.

With a slight smirk coming through the beard on his face he watches me, looking almost amused that he had to come out and deal with this. He's in full armor, despite the fact that he hasn't stepped out of his ship until now. Despite it being hidden behind his shoulder length hair I catch sight of the sword behind his back. With his eyes locked on mine he comes to a stop, his soldier bringing their gaze back to all of us.

Senkalth tilts his head, trying to intimidate me with a single look. "So you are the little princess causing all this trouble."

With my shield at full force I stare right back at him. "Not a princess. And definitely not little."

He smiles, as he steps up, getting closer to my force field. "I've heard great things about this power of yours." he says, as he brings his hands up and rests it against the barrier. "I am curious."

Suddenly he bends his fingers, clawing at my shield as he starts to move his hand. I flinch at the sudden change of contact, but hold my ground as he drags his hand across. He stops, and I stumble a step, not being able to hide the fact that I felt that.

"Impressive." Senkalth says with a devious smile as he looks around to his gunmen. "I'm almost tempted to count out the shots to see how many it takes to get you to drop." He lifts his hand signaling to one of his gunman's and the soldier lifts his weapon, pointing it at me.

"Mia..." Steve says and I can hear everyone behind me shift forward, as if ready to protect me.

I don't know how many of those sonic blasts I can handle, but I can't leave them unprotected. They're all under his command, we don't need to stop all of them, just him.

"You always did send others to do your dirty work." I say, knowing Senkalth is well known for staying clear of the actual fighting and instead sends his generals to fight the battles. It's what he did in Revenia, it's why he left when he was so sure they were winning. "You're a pathetic excuse for a king. You're a coward." I don't take my eyes off of him, needing him to fully understand what's about to happen here. "But you can't hide behind your army forever."

I can see a scowl come across his face, his ego so large he can't handle even the smallest insult. "And your loved ones can't hide behind you," he says. "Face it Mia. Anyone who gets close to you is destined to die." A smug grin comes across his face. "You can't protect any of them."

I can feel my entire body tremble, knowing that the only reason he's saying those words is because of my parents. And the only reason he can say that about my parents is because of him.

Before I can say something in response I see him flick his wrist, signaling something to his men. Suddenly I'm hit with a sonic blast, the impact rattling my force field and causing me to cry out as I drop down to one knee.

"Mia!" everyone behind me yells.

It's not the same as taking the blast straight on, but even a dulled version of that is still enough to knock the wind out of me. Plus with the stab wound still internally hurting, I'm not in the best condition to be taking those kinds of hits.

And yet, my shield still stands.

I feel a hand on my back and shoulder and I turn to see Steve right beside me. "Mia.." he whispers.

"I'm okay." I say, trying to keep him calm.

I see Tony's armor beside me. "Kid, drop your shield, we can take them."

"If you drop your shield I will instruct all of them to open fire at once. Maybe some of you make it, but not everyone will." Clearly for Senkalth it's not just about killing me. He wants to torture me, he wants to see me suffer. He either wants me writhing in physical pain, by attacking me, or lost in emotional pain by attacking the people I love.

I lock eyes with him as I slowly start to get up. I strengthen my force field needing him to know he cannot break me. I have too much to protect.

Senkalth doesn't like my resistance. I can see the annoyance on his face. He reaches behind him, pulling a sword from his back. "Let's get a little more personal, shall we Mia?" he says, before suddenly swinging his sword at my force field.

"Mia!" They call out again.

"I'm good." I say, knowing this hit is nowhere near as hard as the sonic blast.

Senkalth swings the sword again and I can't hold back the flinch as it bounces off my force field.

"You can't hold on forever, you're going to get yourself killed." Tony says.

He's right. I'm holding strong right now, but I've taken so many hits today, eventually it's going to wear me down. Another hit from the sword, and I'm starting to feel it more and more every time. I need to find a way to hold them all back and get us out of this situation.

"Wanda," I say, suddenly getting an idea. I turn back just as Senkalth hits me again. I take a few seconds to catch my breath before finding her. "Throw your magic at my force field."

"What?" she says, the confusion on her face matching everyone else's. "No, it'll hurt you."

"Trust me." I say, taking another swing from the sword. "Please."

Wanda looks around, hoping to get some guidance from the others, but no one really knows what to say since they have no idea what my plan is. If I'm being honest, I have no idea if this is even going to work. I haven't exactly been able to test something like this. But I once trapped Wanda's powers within a compacted force field, maybe I can do it again in a way that will cover the dome I have around us.

Senkalth swings his sword again and I let out a pained grunt, prompting Wanda to make a decision. She steps up conjuring her magic in her hands before tossing it directly at my force field. Instead of resisting it like I do everything else, I try to accept it, absorb it, and it spreads around the entire barrier I put up. It hurts like hell, but I try to hold it as best as I can.

Senkalth swings again, not realizing what I just did, and as soon as his sword connects with my new force field it ricochets off of it and Wanda's magic sends him flying back.

Nearly everyone gasps in reaction, none of us knowing what to expect with this. A few of the soldiers go to help Senkalth up, and  I can see it on his face, he knows I've just humiliated him in front of his army.

He gets up in a complete fit, his embarrassment fueling his anger. "Fire on my command!" he says, promoting all of his soldiers with guns to lift them up and point them at us, or rather, at my force field.

"Mia!" Tony yells out, knowing I won't be able to handle all of their hits at the same time. Wanda's powers clearly work with direct contact, but I don't know if those sonic blasts will react the same way.

"Put the shield down!" I hear Nat yell and I see the Hulk's giant green hand pull her behind him to protect her.

"It's going to kill you!" Steve says, standing on one side of me with his shield up while Tony covers the other as if I'm going to put my force field down and they plan on protecting me from the blast.

But they can't, this will hit everyone multiple times, we'd be down long enough for them to come at us, and we'd be too weak to fight back. Taking all those blasts at the same time will kill me, but dropping me force field will kill us all.

I have to do something...

"Ready!" The gunmen find their aim.

I have to protect them...

"Set!" I can hear their weapons charging.

You are not taking my family from me again.

I summon all the strength I have left in me and focus it to my force field, letting out a deep cry of pain as I push it out in every direction. The Citrelian army, including their king, go flying back, all of them getting hit with a mixture of my force field and Wanda's magic.

I immediately fall forward, losing all strength in my limbs and I hit the floor hard. All the sound around me is muffled and the only thing I hear clearly is a high pitched ringing as my vision goes in and out. I try to use my arms to lift myself, slipping before catching myself and coming up to my hands and knees. I can feel and taste the blood in my mouth, and I spit some of it out, painting the dirt with splotches of red. Everything hurts, things I didn't even know could hurt.

I feel an arm wrap around my waist as someone tries to get me off the ground. Everything still looks a bit blurry, but I can see the fight continuing, the Citrelian soldiers failing to recover in time before getting captured and disarmed. I look forward, vaguely hearing Steve talking to me, trying to get my attention.

And then I see him.

Senkalth, still trying to pick himself up off the floor, looks around. His general is dead, his army is losing, and the one person he came here to kill, just knocked him on his ass and is still alive. He's frantic, he's panicked. He's fucking scared. His eyes lock with mine, and even as I'm struggling to catch my breath, wiping the blood from my lips, I give him a look that lets him know, it all ends here.

And then the bastard runs. He leaves his army, caring about nothing and no one but himself, and he heads for his ship.

A rush of adrenaline runs through me and I manage to pick myself up off the ground and start running. I hear Steve call out to me, but I don't stop, knowing that if I let him get away I will not get another chance at this.

It takes me a few seconds of stumbling before I can get a good speed, keeping my eye on him as he runs through the trees. I'm so focused on him I don't see one of his soldiers coming right at me, jumping to attempt to take me down. But he doesn't get his arms around me when strings of red energy wrap around him, hauling him back and tossing him far. I keep running, seeing more soldiers coming towards me, swords raised and determined to take me down. But they never get to me. My path is clear and I'm being protected by the people I love and who love me, and I continue to run. I can see the end of the forest, and his ship on the other side. I try to pick up my speed, but I'm already weak as it is.

Suddenly I see someone running beside me, catching up to me quickly. I briefly look and see Steve and for a moment I worry he's going to try and stop me. But it's then that I notice he has his shield in one hand, and my staff in the other. He tosses it to me before sprinting forward so that he's ahead of me and then turns around, crouching down and putting his shield over him.

I realize his plan as soon as he sets it up for me and I push my speed a little more. I separate my staff in two before jumping up, landing on Steve's shield. He pushes me up and forward, tossing me into the air.

I fly forward, raising my staff pieces in the air as I see Senkalth come right under my landing point. With one final battle cry I bring my staff ends down the points penetrating him in the back until they pierce through and dig into the ground.

"That was for my parents."

I pull the staff pieces out, letting his body just fall to the floor.

I did it...it's done.

Every inch of me is begging for rest, wanting to just drop to the floor and not move for a few minutes. But as I look around I can see that's not fully over. Citrelian soldiers stand absolutely still, looking down at their dead king, and having no idea what to do next. They were just blindly following orders, because that is what they have been trained to do. They know they can't win against us, and they don't want to die, not for the orders of a king who isn't alive anymore.

I see my friends and family come through the trees, all of them ready to fight, but coming to a stop once they see the enemy standing still, looking more scared than anything. I join the staff together, digging it into the ground and holding onto it, just so I can hold myself up a little longer.

I look around, needing to make a decision for everyone. Any one of these people could have been the one that killed my parents, or my people. Part of me just wants revenge against all of them. But as I look down at Senkalth's dead body, I know the real culprit already got his justice.

So I turn, knowing that, despite having no plans to be a leader, I have to be one right now. "Under Senkalth's rule and command, the leaders of Revenia were killed. Now I, Mia of Revenia, have brought them justice." I say, looking down at Senkalth's body. "We can leave this dispute here and now and end this with no more lives lost."

The soldiers look at each other, confused and completely caught off guard. "You're going to let us go?" one of them says, speaking up for everyone left.

"I don't believe you should die for the mistakes of your king. But let me make something very clear, and you can take this message back to whoever becomes your new ruler. If I ever hear of a Citrelean ship anywhere near here or Revenia, you will not receive this same mercy again."

The soldiers look towards one another and despite the uncertainty, they know it's their only option. With cautious steps they start to move towards their ships. I see the others monitoring them to make sure nobody tries to start this again.

I can't hold on any longer. I start to fall when suddenly an arm comes around my waist, stopping me from dropping all the way to the ground. "I've got you." Steve says as he holds me up. He turns me so that I'm facing him, and I clutch onto his arms, trying to find the strength to stay conscious. Steve puts one hand on my cheek, tilting my head up to look at him. "You did it."

My jaw trembles, a rush of emotions coming over me. "I did it." I say, feeling the tears start to escape.

Steve smiles, wiping my cheeks. "Mia, your parents would be so proud."

"I know this parent is."

We turn and find Tony there, nano-suit back in his arc reactor.

"Dad." I say, reaching for him and falling into his arms. He's alive, we all are...at least I think we are.

"Is everyone else okay?" I ask, knowing I can't see everyone here.

"A couple of injuries but, everyone will be okay." Tony says with a reassuring smile. "Unless of course you count..."

John and Stacy.

They've hurt so many people, caused the deaths of some. In the end they fought with us, not against us. I don't know if I can call it redemption. But they've paid for their crimes with their lives.

Suddenly everything starts to spin and I lose my footing, stumbling back before Steve and Tony catch me.

"We've gotta get you to the hospital." I hear Steve say, and before my mind can fully come back, I feel my feet come off the ground, and then everything starts moving quickly.

My consciousness slips in and out and I have flashes of being taken to a quinjet, getting checked by Tony while onboard, landing and then being rushed to the medical wing. I can barely focus on the question being thrown at me by Doctor Larson as they check all my vitals. They put an oxygen mask on me and I hear them talk about all these tests they want to do on me, and I'm so exhausted I want to scream at everyone to just leave me alone.

"Mia!" I hear someone yell out, and then see Pepper run in, not caring about the nurses warning her and just pushing past them.

"Mom!" I say, some focus coming back at being so happy to see her.

"Oh my god!" she says, seeing the state I'm in.

"I'm okay." I say, reaching out to grab her hand. I pull down the oxygen mask, knowing it's scaring her. "Mom please, don't stress. I'm okay."

Doctor Larson quickly pulls my hand away from my face, putting my mask back on.

"Pepper!" I hear Tony yell out, doing the exact same thing Pep did and pushes through the nurses. As soon as he reaches her he takes her face in his hands kissing her hard, like he didn't think he would ever kiss her again. When he pulls back he keeps his forehead pressed to hers, taking in a shaky breath as his hands drop down to cover her stomach. Pepper lets out a soft gasp, bringing her hands down to cover his.

And then she turns to look at me.

"In my defense," I say, pulling my mask down again. "I had to tell him to save his life."

Pepper chuckles, tears coming down her face. She doesn't seem upset that I told him, she honestly just looks happy that her whole family is here. She reaches one hand out to me and I take it, trying to have a family moment between us.

Until of course Doctor Larson interrupts, pulling my mask back on as a nurse cuts in between us, bringing in a small monitor.

"This moment would be so much nicer if all these nurses and doctors weren't here." I say, rolling my eyes as I lean back on the bed. Tony gives me a soft smile, before guiding Pepper out of the room, wanting to give everyone some space.

"These nurses and doctors are trying to save your life Mia." Larson says, looking just as annoyed with me as I am with them.

"And I appreciate every single one of you Doctor Larson." I say, hoping she knows I'm just teasing.

I close my eyes, all the noise giving me a massive headache, and yet I just want to fall asleep right now.

"Mia, stay with me please." I hear Larson say, and despite how hard I tell myself, I can't seem to open my eyes.

"Mia..." Steve says, and I can hear the concern in her voice.

"Mia talk to me. Where does it hurt?" Larson says, trying to just keep me focused and present.

"Everywhere..." I whisper, not wanting to fight the fatigue anymore.

"Mia, baby stay with me." Steve says. I can hear him, I can hear all of them, but it's just too hard.

"I'm okay...I'm just...really tired." I say, not even sure if my voice is loud enough for them to hear me.

"We need to get her a full check." I hear Larson say. I can't tell what they're doing to me anymore, it's just sounds that keep getting more and more muffled.

"Mia..."

"Okay...just...t...tire..."

—--------------------------------------------------

One more...

I got one more chapter after this. I'm open to do little side chapters if you guys want, kind of like the ones I did with Love in the Dark. But I am also really excited for the next story.

With that being said, I was surprised/not surprised at the results of the next story vote. I had no doubt you guys would like the bucky/steve one but I did not expect it to lead by so much. I definitely didn't expect another Steve story to be second but I don't mind that. But as of now, April 4th 2023, the top voted story is "I'm Not Yours" and so that will be my next book. I already have the story set up on my page so that you guys can get notifications when I start posting it.

Thank you again for all of this. You guys have literally changed me life. And I love doing this.

I love you all 3000!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

261 37 12
"Can't you see? We're never ever getting back together?" "Steve was right if I stay with you sooner or later I will just become like you" A slow burn...
995K 16.5K 35
Mia Connors is a new recruit at the Avengers campus as she's learning the ropes of being on the team, and using her newly discovered powers. She seem...
384K 14K 40
Cassidy Martin didn't ask for any of this, and she doesn't want it. Her powers came to her by an accident, a fluke, and now they're threatening to r...
457K 11.4K 20
The world is in danger and the Avengers are being assembled for the first time. Morgan, a former SHIELD agent, is called back in to be apart of the b...