Ven Degrad: The Prophecy

By 18yearoldwriter

Abandoned at an orphanage by his mother, Ven lives a muggle life, knowing nothing of his blood. However, a th... More

Authors Words
What the characters look like:
Chapter 1: The Past
Chapter 3: Lies Unraveled?
Chapter 4: Inside a Coffin of Lies
Chapter 5: Diagonally
Chapter 6: Platform 9 & 3/4
Chapter 7: The Sorting Hat
Chapter 8: Got Riddles?
Chapter 9: Are you Crazy?!
Chapter 10: McGonagall catches on
Chapter 11: McGonagall Catches On Part 2
Chapter 12: Saving Hazel

Chapter 2: The Orphanage

16 1 2
By 18yearoldwriter

The orphanage was not an ideal place to live. The exterior was made of all wood and some of the windows had cracks in them. The front double doors were also made of wood, but the doorknob would come off occasionally. Winter was the most difficult season, because while you could feel the warmth of a fire on your face, there was no escaping its cold grip on your bones.

The orphanage never got any funding and that's probably why only a few select kids were able to stay at this "five-star" facility. The few adults who came around always love the charming and funny caretaker. The children saw a different side to him. In fact, the term caretaker was rarely used among the children; the word taker would suffice. The only thing he cared about was power. He'd rule over the kids with an iron fist.

Although the caretaker did care for one child, May. For her ability to be obedient to the rules and her words towards those in the committee for the orphanage helps make him look good. That's why it just makes so much sense that her best friend is Ven. The troublemaker of the group.

Recently Ven Rowle believes that his family is still alive. He shouts all the time telling everyone that he'll be out of here someday. "I don't need you!" He usually skips school to solve clues that usually lead nowhere. Ven has been saying this all his life and coming up is his 11th birthday.

Tonight, Ven snuck out late past curfew. He felt this time he was very close to uncovering the truth. He travelled all the way to a library in London just to request a particular book, one which they didn't have. Going from one library he finally found something of interest: an obscure volume by witch-hunters who'd searched every village along the coast for wizards and witches.

Curiously, Ven turned to the chapter on Little Hangleton and read about how a family had been murdered there. Which is why he's here in Little Hangleton. He decided he would visit their house. What exactly he's looking for, he didn't know, but he'd know when he sees it.

While traveling to the house he noticed a small cottage next to their graveyard. The cottage was separate from the graveyard by a stone wall. Although there was no light showing, smoke was billowing from its chimney. So, the Ven decided to investigate.

He knocked on the door and nobody answered. Ven waited for a moment before knocking again. Again, nobody answered. Ven did it one more time and finally a man in his mid-forties with messy brown hair, tall and wearing silk pajamas stood at the front door.

"What do you want!" The man said grumpily.

"Excuse me for disturbing you at this late hour, but I've been wondering if you would be so kind as to answer a few questions for me," Ven said with ease.

"I don't talk to reporters," The man said, about to close the door.

Ven stepped in front of the door to stop it from closing. The man turned around and glared at Ven - obviously annoyed.

"I'm no reporter," Ven said.

"Then what on earth would YOU question ME about."

"It's about those family murders sir. The ones that happened in that house over there," Ven said pointing to the house past the graveyard, "I'm just trying to find out where my family is sir."

The man's face softened. He understood how Ven felt, for he too tried to find part of his family.

"Fine, but only for a moment!" The man said, letting Ven step inside the cottage.

Ven walked into the cottage. It was a small, one-story building, situated close to the where the kitchen window has a clear view of the great, abandoned house. Ven sat down in a chair by a circular table that was right next to the kitchen. The walls, cabinets and farm styled sink were a creme color that had lots of water damage. Other than that, everything was a dark brown color.

"So, what's your name then son?" The man asked, while he made tea.

"Ven, Ven Rowle. Yours sir?"

"Cassian Taylor."

"It's good to meet you Mr. Taylor."

"Now tell me Ven what is it you wanted to ask," Cassian said while he brought tea tray and biscuits, "Help yourself."

"Thank you."

"Your quite welcome. Now the questions."

"Oh right. First off how did you come to own this cottage?"

"Well after my uncle died, we had a funeral for him. Right in that graveyard over there," Cassian said pointing out the kitchen window, "And since I didn't really have anything I wanted to do with my life, I decided I would take on the job."

"Hmm interesting."

"Not to mention I liked a girl who had just moved into the Riddle's house."

"Is that the name of the family who died?"

"Yes, my uncle at the time was the family's gardener. He claimed that the last person he saw near the Riddle House was the dark-haired boy. Sense nobody else had seen him they were sure that my uncle invented him."

"Wow."

"Yeah, but I knew he hadn't done it. I just knew it."

"Right so was your uncle taken to prison?"

"No, it's quite strange actually. The report on the bodies were unable to determine the cause of their death, and my uncle was released due to lack of evidence."

"So how did your uncle die?"

"Well, how he died was unknown. There were no marks of any kind. Kind of like..."

"Like what?"

"How the Riddle's died."

"So your saying that the same person who killed your uncle likely killed the Riddles?"

"Yes, I-I guess I am."

"Show me the graveyard."

"Alright then."

Cassian stood up quickly and grabbed his coat. Ven also did the same. Cassian opened the door.

"A slight rain is coming down."

"Then we better get going."

Cassian and Ven went to the gates of the Little Hangleton Graveyard. Cassian pulled out a key from his coat pocket, unlocked the gate, and pushed it open.

"This way." Cassian said.

The graveyard was unlike anything Ven had seen. It was grand, but also unsettling. Apart from the normal graves, the graveyard also had mausoleums. There were mostly simple headstones to mark the dead's graves, but also several were grander. These were marked with stone obelisks and angels.

When they got to the Riddles family's grave, it was marked by a towering marble headstone. The names of the family members are stated in descending order. Starting with Thomas Riddle, Mary Riddle, then Tom Riddle Snr. They all died in 1943, but the most disturbing thing of all was the statue next to the grave. It was a large imposing winged Angel of Death which stood beside the headstone holding a scythe in its right hand.

Ven drew closer to the angel and could feel a dark presence growing. Hypnotized by the inescapable darkness, Ven couldn't hear anyone or anything around him. Noticing every stony edge of the symmetrical face, the fine point of the scythe in the skeletal hand and the beautiful representation of an angel of death. For a moment Ven blinked and the statue's figure was instilled within Ven's soul.

"They say that the maid discovered their bodies the next day. The entire village could hear her screams from the distance," Cassian said disheartened.

"Were you still alive?"

"No, I was born in 1958. So about 10 years later."

"I see. I have reason to believe that somehow the Riddle family is related to me through the Rowles," Ven said with hope, "But it seems to me that Tom Riddle Senior, never had a son."

"There were rumors."

"So, Tom did have a son."

"It's uncertain if he did," Cassian said, "It was rumored that Tom mysteriously eloped and married Merope Gaunt. The father, mother and son hated the Gaunt family. So, it was very surprising that Tom would marry her." Cassian said.

The rain came down harder. Making it harder to see and make out the names on the gravestones.

"The two then took off to London, but then out of the blue Tom returned to his parents' home and claimed to've been "hood-wrinked" by Merope."

"So Merope blackmailed him into marrying her?"

"No, it was said that the Gaunt family had magic."

"Like witches and Wizards?"

"Exactly and Merope was said to be pregnant. I mean she had to be, the two of them were married," Cassian said, "Well it's four AM so, I think it's time you get going."

"Yes, thank you for this talk." Ven said.

Ven followed Cassian out of the graveyard. Cassian locks up the gates and puts the key in his pocket. Ven and Cassian said their last goodbye and Ven headed off, walking back to the orphanage.

Does this mean I'm related to witches and wizards?

Does THIS mean I could be a wizard?

Or am I just fishing for something that isn't their...

These questions echoed in the back of his mind as he was walking back. It took about an hour to get to the orphanage. Which was really bad news for Ven because everyone woke up around five thirty to six. Nothing would be worse than getting caught and going without breakfast. Especially after this long trip.

Ven got back to the orphanage and snuck in through the back door. He closed it light and swift, making sure no one could hear it creaking. The back door led to the kitchen and on the island was a bowl filled with jelly donut holes. Ven took one just in case he got caught. Then suddenly the lights turned on.

"Sneaking out again I see." Euphemia Rowle said.

"No, just grabbing a before breakfast snack." Ven said convincingly.

"Where did you go this time?" Euphemia said in a I-don't-trust-you tone.

"Just the kitchen," Ven said.

"Have you been to the kitchen when you've been skipping school too?"

"Umm, well-"

"Exactly, now don't lie to me young man! Where have you been all this time?"

"Its not of any importance. Really."

"Ven just tell me, I don't have all day!" Euphemia started to pace.

"Okay. Okay. I was visiting Little Hangleton. Well not exactly, just a house outside of that town."

"Why go to this house?"

"Well, there were these murders. Of the Riddle family."

Euphemia stopped in her tracks and turned towards Ven.

"What did you say?"

"You know, the Riddle family and their mysterious murders. I read it all in this book," Ven said grabbing a book out of his book bag and handing it to Euphemia.

Island Witch-Hunters and Found Coastal Activity.

"Where did you get this?" Euphemia said.

"Well, I tried to find it in a library in London, but they didn't have. Sooner rather than later, I found it in this old vintage shop."

Euphemia was at a loss for words. She knew that Tom Riddle, aka Voldemort, was Ven's grandfather. Not to mention his father's side of the family, but Ven was becoming smarter with age. Sooner rather than later, she knew Ven would figure out that he was a wizard and who his family was. She knew that she was spending time and energy just to delay what would fulfill the prophecy.

But how could she tell him to leave it be? The boy's eyes looked at her with longing. Tell me the truth, tell me the truth they said. But she promised Delphini she wouldn't, and she couldn't go back on her word. For all those many years she neglected Delphini in her younger years, but could she do it again?

"How do you know this book is reliable?" Euphemia said challenging Ven.

"Well, I don't but-"

"Then I see no reason to have any faith in it!" Euphemia said slamming the book shut, "You seem to be fishing for something that is not there."

"I guess you're right. Do you think I should just drop the whole thing?" Ven asked.

"Yes! It's taking time away from your studies. You've been at this for all your life. I think you need to know when you've been defeated." Euphemia said coldly.

"Alright I'll retire."

"Now that's a good boy. Now go up to your room," Euphemia said with a fake smile, "And if anybody asks, you were helping me in the kitchen."

"Alright."

Euphemia took the book from Ven and who knows where she put it. Ven believed that she might burn it to seal the deal, but no matter what happened, Ven still went up to his room.

Ven walked up the stairs into the foyer. The foyer had a grand creme marble staircase, the floors at the bottom of the stairs were a checkerboard pattern, and the moonlight coming in from the windows on top of the doors made the room feel peaceful.

Ven continued to walk up the stairs. To the left are the girl's dormitories, and the right are the boys. Ven went to the right. Ven took off his shoes and bookbag and plopped them on the floor. Then he got underneath the covers on his bed.

Ven sleeps for about an hour until he was woken by a loud annoying bell.

"Get up, get up! Time to get ready for school children," One of the housekeepers, Anna, said.

"Good morning Ven how did you sleep last night?" A young boy around the age of eight said. He came in jumping on Ven's bed.

"Alright! Alright! I'm up Wallace!" Ven said jokingly.

"Ven, will you be coming to school today?" Wallace said, one which he asks every day, "Or will you be skipping?"

"I actually am here to stay for good," Ven said with a sad smile.

"YAY!" Wallace said as he jumped towards Ven with his arms wide open. The two shared a hug.

"Now go get dressed," Ven said.

"Okay," Wallace said running off to his room to get dressed.

Ven decided he would do the same. He put on a green collared shirt and khaki pants with some nicer tennis shoes. Once done he made his bed and made sure his room was tidy. Then he went to the other boy's rooms and checked theirs as well. Once everything was ready, Ven met with Wallace and together they went downstairs. The two of them went to the dining hall.

Each child coming in one by one. Until May came in. She walked right over to and sat next to Ven.

"How'd it go last night? " May said to Ven in a whisper, "Did the book help?"

"No, it didn't lead anywhere." Ven whispered to May.

"It didn't? I was sure I was onto something this time."

"Me too... I think we ought to take a break with all of this."

"Why?"

"Because I think I'm fishing for something that isn't there. I mean look-"

"Ven Rowle." The caretaker said. Everyone's heads turned towards Ven, "Please see me in my office."

Everyone was very confused, even May, but Ven got up and followed the caretaker to his office. Which was on the first floor. When you first walk through the front door its on the left. Right across from the dining room.

Ven was very confused to see a round-faced man, with a tall, chubby build and blond hair.

"Hello Ven," The man said, shaking Ven's hand, "My name is Professor Neville Longbottom. I was wondering if you'd be interested in joining our school."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.9K 71 38
Slytherin shall rise, they're the proclaimed enemies of Hogwarts but it changed, They're the saviour! Gryffindor's bravery has Slytherins. Ravenclaw'...
18.9K 509 39
An alternative version of the Cursed Child (the book that shall not be named). While his brother inherited mischief and popularity, Albus gets his fa...
980 14 19
Albus Potter doesn't mind being a Slytherin. His friends are nice, his classes are enjoyable enough, and he's sequestered far away from his brother...
1.2M 42.9K 73
-·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·--·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡¡|i¹'°¨°'¹~·--·~¹'°¨°'¹i|¡¡|i¹' James Sirius Potter had it all, was loved by all... ...all except Ayla Hill Al...