š’Æš‘œ š’©š‘’š“Œ šµš‘’š‘”š’¾š“ƒš“ƒš’¾š“ƒļæ½...

By o_Iridescent_o

š»š’¶š“‡š“‡š“Ž š’«š‘œš“‰š“‰š‘’š“‡ š¹š’¶š“ƒš’»š’¾š’øš“‰š’¾š‘œš“ƒ: š’Ŗš’ž š‘€š’¶š’¾š“ƒ š’žš’½š’¶š“‡š’¶š’øš“‰š‘’š“‡ š™±šš˜šš˜šš” š™¾šš—ššŽ šš˜šš ššƒšš‘ššŽ šš‚... More

š•‹š•™š•– š•Šš•™š•’š•”š•œš•š•–š•• š•Šš•–š•£š•šš•–š•¤
š“˜ š“‘š“®š“°š“²š“· š“š“½ š“£š“±š“® š“”š“·š“­š“²š“·š“°
August 19th, 1993
August 20th, 1993
August 31st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 1st, 1993
September 2nd, 1993
September 6th, 1993
September 9th, 1993
September 9th, 1993
October 16th, 1993
October 28th, 1993
October 31st, 1993
November 5th, 1993
December 19th, 1993
January 2nd, 1994
January 16th, 1994
February 6th, 1994
February 25th, 1994
March 16th, 1994
March 19th, 1994
April 2nd, 1994
June 3rd, 1994
June 6th, 1994
June 8th, 1994
š”¹š• š• š•œ š•‹š•Øš• 

December 18th, 1993

54 7 29
By o_Iridescent_o

𝒞𝒽𝒶𝓅𝓉𝑒𝓇 𝒮𝒾𝓍𝓉𝑒𝑒𝓃

Nothing, absolutely nothing beats the night.

It brings a calm to an otherwise bustling world, a calm like no other. One that only comes when the world stills enough to allow the gentler side to shine. One that can be seen from anywhere. From a lonely cabin hidden away from all and even in the city that never sleeps.

The night brings out a different side everywhere it touches. Even the dungeons of Hogwarts.

This moonless night was the most drastic. The only light was the faint glow of the stars and a forgotten candle that shivered at even the smallest of vibrations sent through the room. At the window, there was nothing but the green glow of the lake, the murky water impossible to see more than a few feet into. The air hummed that odd noise that can only be heard on the most empty nights, that hum... buzz... or rather echo...

The dungeons at night were a near void, but never really one. For voids are lifeless... but even the dungeons, even after everyone has gone off to bed... are never truly lifeless. The dungeons at night are home to the glows of candles and stars, moved with vibrations from nowhere, neighbors to the lake, and sung to by that odd hum of the air.

The dungeons are a hauntingly beautiful place at night...

...

Iris jolted up from her sleep.

Hands gripping onto her sheets, bracing her as she frantically searched the room. Eyes darting to every corner, every shadow, searching... prepared to find the dangers she faced in her sleep.

But as with all nightmares, the panic would eventually fade, and reality would creep back in. Grounding you back to reality and leaving the nightmares to simply be nightmares. And the fear would fade to the back of the mind but never leave. After all, nightmares are driven by something that doesn't simply disappear; instead, that fear sits back and waits to return for another time.

So Iris took a deep breath, glanced around one last time, and then allowed her head to hit the pillow again. Instantly falling back into her sleep.

The duality of the night is perhaps the best thing about it. For as beautiful... as gentle... as calm as they can be... the night is also home to so much pain...

~~~~~~

Iris wasn't often the last in the room to wake; usually, she was the one already up and about just as the others began stirring. But it was a day... one of those days where things just weren't right.

Iris clung to the warmth of her bed for as long as she could, but it was never going to be long. Not on a Hogsmeade day, and certainly not with her roommates... and besides... she had a date.

Iris was very rudely pushed from bed when Sally-Ann threw a pillow in her face, "Up, up Blackwell, I can't live vicariously through you if you miss your date with Diggory!"

Grumbling, Iris made her way to the bathroom, "Hate Hogsmeade days, should never have gotten my slip signed. Maybe I can take it back, and fucking burn it."

Shooting the girl a glare while touching up her makeup, Sally-Ann yelled out, "Fix that attitude, and do something with that hair! No one wants to snog Cousin Itt!"

Shooting Sally-Ann the finger, Iris snapped back, "Cousin Itt got more action than you ever will, Ann!" Giggles from the girls could be heard as Iris slammed the bathroom door shut.

Sighing as she locked the door, Iris turned to the sink, grabbing at the edge as she leaned over. Closing her eyes for a brief moment before looking into the mirror. Glancing over her face, everything absolutely perfect... but her eyes dark, dull. The deep blue of her eyes nearly nonexistent in the dark green.

It was a day... why was undetermined still, but it was a day.

Shaking her head, Iris turned on the sink, throwing water into her face as she muttered to herself, "Cousin Itt is a stud."

~~~~~~

Iris hurried through the halls with a bounce in her step, mood repaired as she made her way towards the courtyard. The girls laughed a few steps behind, Sally-Ann even venturing to poke some fun, "How regressive is this, in a bad mood all morning, but you throw a boy her way, and suddenly she is dancing around."

Turning mid-step to smile at the girls, Iris defended herself, "I am getting out of this damned castle for the first time in months, going on a date with the hottest boy at this school, and planning on scoring a kiss. I am allowed to be as excited as I very so please."

Throwing a smirk at Sally, she added, "And you are certainly one to talk Sally-Ann," she stopped as she clasped her hands and mimicked a dreamy look, "'oh Draco, I love you,' 'oh Draco I do.'"

Bumping shoulders with Iris and pushing Valeria away for making kissy faces, Sally glared, "I hate all of you."

Jane and Tracey just laughed, holding up the back of the group while Iris joined to walk alongside Valeria and Sally. Valeria looked toward Iris as she thought over something, "Have you had your first kiss yet, Iris?"

All the girls looked to the one in question, watching as she smiled, a sign that sent off a chorus of awes. Nodding as her eyes glazed over in memory, "On my eleventh birthday, Ryker Peverell. We grew up together, he's two years older, and even at thirteen, he was dreadfully attractive."

She hesitated a bit as the smile fell but continued anyway, drawing in her curious group of friends, "The adults were all teasing about how old I was getting. Started rambling about their younger years. Thinking back on their firsts, first kiss, first boyfriend. So many couldn't even remember names... something about firsts never really being great, great coming later.

"But no regrets. Because life is about taking those steps. Anyways, to eleven-year-old me, that was the worst conversation ever. My first kiss had to be great, memorable...."

Her smile returned, "My birthdays were always horribly boring, big get-togethers with all these old people. So Ryker and I would always adventure off after cake, return back later for presents. We went to the fountain, the sky was clear, the stars bright..." her eyes closed for a moment, reopening as she spoke,

"I was sitting at the edge, hand waving around the water wearing my green dress, he was stood hands in his pockets, wearing that suit his father forced him into. We were laughing at something, and I just kinda watched him for a moment, and then just stood up and kissed him, just for a second, before giving him a big smile and running back off to the party." She laughed, "Hardly a proper kiss, but memorable. A great first."

The girls watching her, eyes dazed as they were lost in the moment, Tracey was the one to speak for everyone, "Man, does Diggory even stand a chance here...."

A jolt of emotion flashed through Iris as her smile turned a bit forced, "A huge childhood crush is all that was. Haven't seen Ryker in a little over two years." She waved as she switched subjects, a smirk overtaking her lips, "Now, moving on from me, have all of you had your first kiss?"

Jane cringed back, "That is a memory I am very content never thinking back on. I have so many regrets."

Sally-Ann nodded aggressively in agreement, while Valeria, on the other hand, smiled, "Mine was over the summer with that muggle girl in Paris. Totally cliche but so worth it," she smiled to Iris, "a great first."

Tracey remained quiet, a sheepish smile overtaking her as she looked away, "I haven't had mine yet."

Iris nodded as she bumped shoulders with her, "Holding out for a great first then, good choice," she looked at Tracey as they neared closer to the courtyard where they were meant to meet before leaving for Hogsmeade, "You know, you should just go for it."

Tracey sent her a curious look, the roommates also giving Iris their attention, "With Theodore, I mean. You ask him out, if he says yes, you either find out if it works or if it is time to move on. If he says no, he is clearly not worth putting all this energy into. But either way, this crush holds you back. The pining for a guy and never doing anything about it, just leaves you pining. Never getting to experience many firsts."

The girls reached the courtyard, Iris's eyes immediately landing on Cedric, but before she left, she sent Tracey one more look, "Life is too short to be wasting time like this. Live to the fullest or whatever, right? Go for what you want."

And then she was off, not without sending Sally a glare for the rather inappropriate comment she made.

And Tracey was left, mulling over the words of the girl as she walked towards her date with a full smile. Iris Blackwell was the embodiment of going for what you want. And Tracey did find herself envious of that kind of bold.

~~~~~~

Iris was good with people, with getting to know them. Good at noticing things, at putting together all the traits that make a person who they are. And in just a few hours, Iris had learned much about Cedric Diggory.

First was caring.

When he saw Iris approaching, the first words out of his mouth were about the cold, eyes locked on her green sweater. No coat. No gloves. No scarf. The ground was covered in snow, the lake frozen over..., and yet Iris Blackwell was dressed for fall.

Iris laughed as he insisted on lending her his coat and waved off his concerns, her high tolerance from the cold sending her on her way, eager to leave. A few minutes into the walk, he moved on to giving up his scarf, something Iris would take even if only to humor the boy.

He was also capable of being a tad bit stubborn, at least when it came to the well-being of others...

Next was patience.

So incredibly patient.

Iris had taken the initiative to start the day off with shopping, needing to buy presents for all the girls. And Cedric was a real sport the whole five hours they spent walking around. Looking at clothes, jewelry, books, and shoes... so many shoes. He even proved to be rather good at the whole endeavor himself, responsible for spotting the new boots that Iris was now the proud owner of.

He insisted on carrying the bags and won on that front when Iris discovered that she could not, in fact, shop with only her eyes.

Then was the calm about him.

Conversation was light, easy. He was smart and contemplative and easy. He never pried. He loved talking about his family, his friends, and quidditch. And he loved listening. He never questioned when Iris ignored anything too personal, never asked for more than what she was willing to ramble about.

Cedric Diggory was just so easy to fall for. Everything about him was what everyone deserved from a relationship. He's the the kinda guy you get and never let go of.

There was one flaw... at least in Iris' mind.

That was the romantic in him.

Once the pair had decided to head off to lunch, he tried leading Iris into the devastating tea shop called Madam Puddifoot's. Iris took one look through the window to see pink everything and a couple doing things one should not be doing in public... and decided that The Three Broomsticks, a local pub, was much more appealing.

And that is where they sat for maybe a bit too long, lost in conversation, food finished, and drinks just freshly filled.

"I just can't accept that you haven't watched Dirty Dancing. At some point, being a pureblood just isn't an excuse... just imagine not even knowing who Patrick Swayze is...."

Cedric hadn't stopped smiling all day; another thing about him he is just so happy, "Well, I guess we will just have to get together over the summer, you can show me all these movies."

Iris pouted, "Ah, I wish magic wasn't so bad with technology. I miss movies and my walkman. I was using our radio the other day, and two hours in, it starts going haywire... almost killed my tape."

Cedric nodded before tilting his head, a question coming to mind, "Do you miss the muggle world?"

Humming, the response came quicker than Cedric had been expecting, "Honestly, I just miss a lot of the freedoms of being out of school in general. There just isn't much to do here. Can't go bowling, can't go to the cinema, can't go out shopping when you please. The only allowed time off-grounds is once every few weeks to some little town where the biggest attraction is some shack."

She licked her lips, eyes shifting out the window, "The charm of Hogwarts, hell even Hogsmeade wore off rather quickly." She turned back to Cedric, "We have been sitting here just talking for three hours because we have nothing else to do, no real activities."

Cedric smirked, a glint in his eyes, "At least the conversation is nice."

Iris laughed, shrugging her shoulders, "I don't know, personally, I think it's been a bit dull."

Flashing his perfectly white teeth, he feigned hurt, "Ah, and here I thought I was doing all right."

Playful... sometimes, he could be playful.

The two settled into silence for what felt like the first time today. Conversation halted as Iris returned her gaze back out the window, thinking.

Then in a second, she was up, grabbing half her bags as she looked over to Cedric, "I know what we can do."

Smiling at her, he didn't even hesitate. Grabbing his half of the bags and even reaching for the ones in her hands as the two quickly left the pub.

~~~~~~

If Cedric were a girl, Iris would have felt the need to have a deep conversation over following someone into the woods on a first date. But considering he probably stood a good chance in a physical altercation and also that Iris knew she wasn't a creep, it could go overlooked.

But he was never deterred, completely trusting and fully content, just going wherever Iris took him. But even he seemed a bit shocked when they arrived at the Great Lake, the castle just a small ways off in the distance.

"That was a quicker walk than the actual path to the village."

Iris shrugged, moving to help Cedric place the bags safely underneath a tree, "I may venture into the woods a bit more often than I should."

Following Iris onto the frozen surface of the lake, he watched as she took out her wand, doing her little twirl with it, "That is completely dangerous and breaking so many rules."

Raising an eyebrow, she smirked at him, "But you followed me, did you not?" Then she looked at his feet, "Now jump."

Eyebrows knitting together, he did as told, eyes widening as Iris flicked her wand, transforming his shoes into skates mid-air. The sudden change threw him off balance on landing and sent him toppling over.

Iris's laugh instant as she quickly transformed her own shoes, without the jump, of course, before pocketing her wand. Kicking off lightly, she began slowly circling the boy as he fought through his own laughing to get himself back up.

"So the jump wasn't necessary."

Looking rather proud of herself, Iris changed direction, circling the opposite way, "Necessary in that it makes me rather happy to watch. Can you skate?"

Finding his balance, he nodded, "My house is close to a lake, my mother always loved skating and made sure I grew up able to as well."

Kicking off harder, Iris took off, turning to glide backward and still give Cedric her attention, "I grew up in New York. Always cold, and skating was how I spent most of my winters."

Following after her at a slower but steady pace, he watched her dance around on the seemingly never-ending sheet of ice, "New York, as in the city? No wonder you find here so boring."

She moved back to Cedric to begin circling him again, "Lived in upstate New York, the state, but we were in the city pretty often. I loved the city for how much there was to do. Going out to just do something, even just once a week, was enough, though. I preferred home, the forest was in our backyard.

"If you couldn't tell, I am very fond of the outdoors," she shot him a smile before shooting off again.

Conversation ended yet again, but this was the good kind of quiet. One of those moments where conversation just ruins it, really. For two people who had been talking all day, this one moment of simply enjoying the silence was necessary.

And Cedric seemed perfectly content just watching. Moving at his own steady pace as he watched Iris fly around. She looked as free and natural as he felt when on a broom, and it was... breathtaking to watch.

How graceful, how confident she was in every move she made. It was the attitude that either scared people away or drew them in. And for Cedric, it was the latter.

Watching as she went for a spin, he saw the mistake just as she felt it. Rushing towards her as her ankle awkwardly twisted, he made it there just as she landed hard onto the ice.

Eyes wide, he leaned over her, relaxing when she burst into laughter. Shaking his head, he poked her ankle, surprised but relieved to find it caused no pain. Now allowing himself to join in laughing, he teased her, "And here I was about to compliment you for being a pro."

Grabbing his hand to get help with standing, she shook her own head, "It's been a while since I've done that."

Strong arms proving useful, Iris was up in an instant, "What? Spun, or fallen?"

Looking up to meet his eyes, Iris found that she and Cedric Diggory were very close. Laughs subsided, but her smile refusing to fall, she looked into his eyes, voice suddenly a lot quieter, "Both."

Cedric gripped her hand a bit tighter, face a lot more serious than it was a moment ago, lost that growing blue fire in her eyes, "Huh."

Iris made the move first. Leaning in, lips quipped and nearly brushed his as her eyes dared him to make the final push... and he did. Hand finding her cheek as his lips met hers for all too brief of a moment.

He pulled back, only for Iris to quickly grab his neck and pull him right back.

And so safe to say another great first took place that day, and it was also the day of a damn good kiss.

~~~~~~

Iris wasn't even fully sat down for dinner when the questions came rushing toward her.

Ignoring them all as she filled a plate, Iris allowed them to tire themselves out, only paying attention when the only question that mattered came out, "So how was it."

Smiling, Iris dropped her fork, "Cedric is pretty amazing. And a great kisser."

And so went the squeals, ones Theodore Nott sent a glare from Iris's side, "Please never do that again."

Jane shushed him, causing the boy to scowl as he attempted to return to his meal in something resembling peace.

"So when is date number two."

Finding her eyes moving to where the boy of the day was sitting, clearly going through the game of 20 questions just as Iris was, she smiled, "Well, it would be after break."

Sally-Ann shoots her hands up and claps, "So we have a second date on the table. Ahh, I am happy for you!"

And so went dinner. A group of girls doing what they do best when one goes on a date. Ask every question, analyze every detail and so many squeals. It's fun, it's supportive, and it's just... normal. Comfortable. Just sitting around reliving the excitement and joys of the day with people who support with everything they have.

"So we have to mark this in the notebook, right?" Tracey reminded the girls.

Valeria smirked, "Ah yes, December 18, 1993. Iris's date...."

Iris blinked, going rigid.

Valeria and the girls were still talking, still laughing. She could see it. But the words spoken were lost on her as her breath caught in her throat.

Iris jolted up, catching her group's attention and Theodore, whose eyes brows knitted together as he noticed her face.

Someone called after her, one of the girls. But Iris was deaf to it.

She hurried by the tables, hurried towards the doors. Towards her exit.

She was shaking.

She was just a few feet away when she was roughly grabbed by the arm.

Jolting back into reality, Iris pulled her arm back, rounding on whoever grabbed it.

Hermione Granger looking shocked as she stared into the dull eyes of the girl before her. "Sorry I was calling you, but you didn't seem to hear."

No response, Iris was aware of her surroundings now, but she was still very much so not there.

But as always, Hermione was unbothered by the lack of response. As always, she kept going, not taking even a second to take in how the girl before her was slowly and surely crumbling. She goes on talking, rambling. Nothing worth listening to at that moment

Iris's breaths were shallow.

And then...

"Excuse me?"

Iris was back. Cold. Dangerous, eyes ready to kill as she grew taller. As her shoulders set back. As her head tilted and eyes bored into Hermione. Her two words froze the girl in her spot, stopping her rambles, "What was that, what you just said."

Hermione took a step back, the action bringing attention from nearby students.

"I just said that Harry showed us the picture you gave him," her voice wavered. A crowd was forming.

Iris let out a dry bark of a laugh, a sound that reverberated through the quieting hall, "No, what did you just think in your head," she leaned in voice going deathly calm, "what are you trying to imply."

Hermione blinked, "What did I... think," she was hit with a spark of realization," you can—"

Stepping closer Iris silenced her, "What are you getting at Granger." The teachers shared a look.

Suddenly at a loss for words, Hermione hesitated, regret flashing through her as she realized she had to face what was to come. She was too far in to go back now, and so she straightened and took another step away. "The man in the picture, your father," Hermione flinched at the glare Iris sent her, "he, the man... in the picture, he was your boggart."

Iris straightened up, voice still that deathly and unwavering calm, "And what do you think that means." Iris' finger twitched... and her ankle rolled, the ankle where her wand was tucked into her boot.

Remus Lupin began walking hurriedly towards the girls, pushing through the growing crowd.

Growing more confident as Iris gave her some space, Hermione continued, "I saw the look that boggart gave you... and how you reacted. If he hurt—"

Remus reached the front of the crowd, but it was far too late.

"Stop!" A demand. A demand that stopped Hermione and Remus both in their tracks. A demand that everyone in that room felt in their bones.

"My father is dead."

Four words. Four words that echoed through that room. Four words that changed Iris Blackwell forever in the eyes of everyone. Four words that held so much venom, so much pain.

Eyes ablaze, Iris didn't stop, "My father was a great man. If you ever... if you ever so much as think about him in any way that makes him any less than great...." Her jaw clenched as she took a second to breathe.

Eyes closed as she hesitated, and when they reopened, they were soft...

Meeting Remus's pained gaze over Hermione's shoulder, Iris let out a sigh, "My father is dead.... And I forgot it's December 18, he is dead and... I forgot."

Clenching a fist as she began shaking again, Iris turned, making her leave. This time without interruption.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

313K 9.3K 72
ā šˆ šØš§šœšž š›šžš„š¢šžšÆšžš š„šØšÆšž š°šØš®š„š š›šž (šš®š«š§š¢š§š  š«šžš), šš®š­ š¢š­'š¬ š šØš„ššžš§, š‹š¢š¤šž šššš²š„š¢š š”š­, š„š¢š¤šž ļæ½...
8.7K 136 55
COMPLETED!!!! You are your own character, this is a Harry Potter related story about Draco Malfoy and you, you started with your third year at Hogwar...
5.7K 231 22
Harry has decided to return to Hogwarts for his eighth year, and is looking forward to a normal year. Well except for the fact that. he will be enter...
1.2K 46 29
ā You can stop seeing what you don't want to see. But you can't stop feeling what you don't want to feel. āž How bad can it get? Hatred, Hesitation, L...