Scales In The Ruined

By DanielleDoustAllen

Twins. The oldest, a warlock. The youngest, a shadowhunter. Both were raised in lives the other could not fol... More

-Season One-
When Two Became One
Birthday Wishes
The Shift in the Shadows
No Worse Ways To Be Introduced
Not Your Secret To Share
When One Becomes Two
Portal Shards & Cheesecakes
Fucking...werewolves
Double Potions
Shadow's Of The Past Shrouds Us
Mission Impossible
Small Trinkets of Time
Two Never Becomes Three

Late Night Bonding

4.9K 164 55
By DanielleDoustAllen

Inside one of the many bedrooms that littered the New York Institute, two sisters just reunited were talking about their lives with a movie going on in the background.

"I'm sorry, you were what?" Clary looked at her sister horrified.

"Kidnapped." Kassidy casually said as she took a handful of popcorn, shoving it into her mouth.

The redhead paused the movie, and gave her full attention to the girl laying next to her. "Are-are you okay?"

"Oh, yeah." Kas waved off the concern. "It was a long time ago." She went to reach for the remote to unpause the movie, but Clary pulled it away from her.

"Absolutely not." She held the control over her head. "You do not just drop that bomb on me and not explain. What the hell happened?"

Giggling a tiny bit, Kazzie began explaining. "Okay, so when I was ten most of the downworld knew Magnus Bane took in a child. Mainly because he took me to business meetings for learning purposes-"

"Learning purposes?" Clary question.

"My dad wanted me to know the dynamics of other species at a young age, so that way when I get older I'm able to take up the mantle of Brooknly's High Warlock." She cocked her head. "If he ever retires, anyways-" She continued the story. "Since my dad is the High Warlock of Brooknly, he is basically Judge, Jury, and Executioner among the warlock's in New York."

Clary popped a piece of popcorn in her mouth. "That's a lot of responsibilities for one person."

"Well, normally they have warlock's under their tutelage, second's if you will." Kas threw a piece of popcorn into the air, catching it in her mouth. "If you can't contact the High Warlock of your area, then you go to their second. I've been Dad's since I was fifteen." She scratched her nose. "Moving one. Uh-one day he did something that some people didn't agree with and in retaliation, three warlock's and a vampire ambushed us and took me hostage for nineteen hours."

"Oh, my god." Once again, the redhead took a second to process what she heard. "That's horrible, how'd you escape?"

"I didn't." The blonde clicked her tongue. "They shot me up with something that nullified my magic, so I was anciently useless but luckily, my father found me and those four were...never heard from again." She fiddled with her necklace before holding it up for Clary to see. "After that scare he made me this, whenever I'm in trouble it sends him a signal. He has a bracelet that does the same thing."

"And you were okay after this?" The shadowhunter questioned her sister, seeing that the encounter seemed to have little effect on her now.

"No, not at all." She shook her head. "I had more than my fair share of issues after that, but after time it did get better. Joking about it was definitely a big coping skill. Anyways-" she changed the topic. "-ask me another."

Clary signed before laying down. "I'm asking all the questions, that doesn't seem fair."

"Well..." Kas turned over to lay on her stomach. "I know almost everything about you, so asking questions would be kinda pointless."

The redhead snorted a little. "I just realized how creepy you are."

"Creepy?" The blonde fake gasped. "I am not creepy, I just watched you from the shadows."

"Yes." She nodded slowly, trying and failing to get a straight face. "Like a creep."

"Okay, you know what..." Kas, smiling, threw a pillow at Clary's face, who yelped as she covered her face with her arms.

"Hey!" Laughing, Clary took hold of the pillow that was thrown at her and threw it back, hitting Kas in the face with a thump.

"Oh, it is on." The warlock gave her sister a playful glare before snapping her fingers. Once the snap filled the air, ten pillows appeared in the air and began pelting the shadowhunter.

"Oh my god!" Clary squealed as the pillows basically swallowed her whole. "Kazzie, stop it!"

"Do you yield, little sister?"

"We're twins!"

"Do you yield or not!"

"Yes-yes I yield!" As if that was the magic word, the pillows poofed out of existence and the twin's laughter once again filled the room.

"Never-" The blonde said in between giggles. "-never get into a pillow fight with a warlock, especially a Bane."

"Noted." Clary's face began hurting from the amount of smiling she's been doing since she's met her twin, making her think of all that the two had missed growing up.

"Okay." Kas began, cutting off Clary's train of thought. "Back to the questions. Ask away."

"Fine." She scrunched her nose with a tiny smile. "Since I'm you claim to know everything about me-"

"I said almost everything."

"-and I'm curious about yours, what's both of our favorite colors?"

Clicking her tongue, she tilted her head. "Purple. But not purple-purple, the cozy type of purple that's in the sunset when it bleeds into the orange and pink."

"Wow." The redhead nodded. "I was right, you are creepy."

"I will summon the pillows again." She narrowed her eyes playfully.

"Alright, I won't mention the creepiness again." The shadowhunter held up her hands in surrender.

"Thank you." Kas gave a satisfied nod. "And as for the second part, forest green."

"Forest green?" Clary blinked. "Isn't that the color of your magic?"

Signing, Kassidy's head hung low. "I can sense your judgment."

"No, no judgment. Just...is it normal for a warlock's favorite color to be their...magic color?"

"I don't know. It's not like I go up and ask. Can you imagine, 'Yes, hello. Lovely to meet you, what's your favorite color'? I'm not Buddy the Elf."

"Well I don't know!" Clary defended herself. "You and Magnus are the only warlock's I know."

"Then you need to expand your social circle." Kazzie gave her finger guns.

"Rude!" The redhead pushed the blonde's shoulder. "Wait,-" she suddenly remembered something else she wanted to know more about. "-since we're on the topic of magic, I need to ask. How are you a warlock and I'm a shadowhunter? Shouldn't we both be the same thing?"

"Not...necessarily, it's not as complicated as you might think." Kas started to explain. "When my dad first met both of us, he was curious about the same thing too. So, of course that involved lots of research and he started looking into twins born from Shadowhunters."

"Wha-why would Magnus start there?" Her brows furrowed. "That seems like it would be a deadend."

"Because a Shadohunter giving birth to alive twins is very, very rare. Borderlining on impossible." Kazzie told her gently. "Only one of the children actually survives the birth."

"What?" Clary's voice was almost a whisper.

"Yeah...it's sad, but people hypothesize that the angel blood that runs through Nephilim picks a fetus leaving the other, essentially defenseless against the power of the runes that are painted on the parent." She licked her lips. "Basically making the other fetus a...a mundane."

"But then...how are we alive?" She pointed between them. "That doesn't make sense."

"Well, like I said how it's almost impossible, there have been a few exceptions to this and that's when my dad's research really started." Kas said. "While he was digging, he found out there had been two successful births. Only because one of the twins in both of those, was a Downworlder."

"You're kidding!"

"Nope. One of them was a Warlock, the other a Werewolf. And once that connection was established, he dug some more and he found a common denominator. One of the parents from both parties were experimenting with demon blood on themselves."

"Oh..." Was what all Clary said, before realizing her mother could have been the one doing the experiments. "-but our mother would never-"

"I didn't say it was Jocelyn." Kassidy cut her off and began elaborating on which 'parent' it was for them. "Valentine may hate us, but he does know of the powers we carry. He wanted to make himself stronger. What must have happened is he was experimenting on himself, and it couldn't have been more than an hour later when him and Jocelyn...ya know." She leaned against the headboard. "Then while we were in the womb, you must have absorbed all the angel blood leaving me to take the demon. Like I said, not as complicated as one might think."

"Wow. So what we were was not set in stone? I could have been the Warlock and you the Shadowhunter, that's...kinda interesting."

"It is. Our entire lives could have been flipped-flopped." As the warlock said those words, she just stared at her sister almost like it just occurred to her that she was bonding with the person she had been missing her whole life.

At the expression Kas gave Clary, she couldn't help but feel slightly overwhelmed. She had never seen someone gaze upon her with such adoration and sadness? "What?" Clary questioned. "Why are you looking at me like that? Is something wrong?"

"No!" Kassidy said quickly. "It's just...I missed you." A bitter smile appeared on her face accompanied with unwashed tears that sparkled in her eyes. "I really, really missed you."

That made the redhead's heart sink. If she was being honest with herself, that could have been the saddest thing she had ever heard. Quickly, she pulled Kas into a hug. The warlock froze, caught off guard by the hug, only to melt into it and nuzzle her face into her sister's shoulder.

"You don't have to anymore." Clary whispered into the hug, tears gathering in her eyes. "I promise. I'll never leave you again."

—-------

Clary has fallen asleep an hour or two ago, leaving Kassidy to her own devices. Kas wanted to sleep since it's been awhile since she got a good night's rest, but the adrenaline from the ambush mixed in with the greater demon still pumped in her veins.

Knowing she wasn't going to sleep anytime soon, she decided to kill some time. Putting on something she didn't mind sweating in, Kassidy quietly left the room and headed down to the training areas. Picking up the kalis (fighting sticks), the warlock began going through the motions on the nearby punching bag.

After a half an hour, Kas felt a present in the room with her. "What?"

"Can we talk?" Jace took a step closer.

She paused her movements briefly. "No."

The shadowhunter walked towards her. "Kas, please."

When she didn't say anything, he knew one way that would get her to look at him. Kassidy went to strike the dummy again, but before it could make contact a different set of wooden sticks blocked the blow.

"Really?" Kas rose a brow.

Jace gave her an unapologetic shrug. "I got your attention, didn't it?" He then pushed her away from the bag and began striking her.

Kassidy followed the movements in suit. Up, down, left, right. The two moved in sync. After a few more beats, the warlock saw on opening, using the momentum of her opponent, she slid her kalis of his and spun around so the bag was in front of her. Using a tiny bit of her magic, she kicked the bag making it fly towards Jace, who ducked just in time before it could hit him.

The shadowhunter pointed one of his sticks towards her. "That wasn't fair."

"Life's not fair." Was all she said before rushing at him, bringing down both of her sticks harshly.

Expecting the attack, Jace brought his kails up in time to block. "Kas, I'm trying to apologize."

"And I'm trying to practice in peace." Kassidy said. "Guess we both can't get what we want."

Groaning, he pushed her away causing them to circle one another. "Why are you being stubborn?"

"Stubborn?" The warlock let out an unamused chuckle as she twirled the sticks in her hand. "If this is you apologizing, don't." She did a backbend to avoid the swipe from her boyfriend. Using it to his advantage, he did a low spin kick, sweeping her off her feet, landing on the ground with a huff.

When Kassidy didn't get up right away, Jace offered his hand to help her up, but she just glared up at him before swiping his legs out from under him. Once he hit the floor, she turned him onto his stomach and dug her knee into his back. After a few moments of struggle, the blonde shadowhunter let out a sigh before tapping the floor.

"I win." She commented before pushing herself up. Placing the kalis back onto the rack, she went to walk out only to stop, suddenly curious about something. "How'd you know I'd be awake?"

"Because you always have trouble sleeping after missions." Jace said it like it was common knowledge.

"Well...I guess you do know me." Kas crossed her arms over her chest, turning to look at him as she referenced the fight that happened at her apartment.

"Yeah, I do." He agreed with a sigh. "And I want to keep knowing you and I want to keep learning new things about you."

Finally deciding to hear him out, the warlock brought her chin up. "Continue."

"Baby, I'm sorry."

"For?"

"For everything." The shadowhunter clarified. "I shouldn't have been the one to tell Clary about everything knowing how much it meant to you.

Kas licked her lips before popping them. "That was shitty of you."

"And you're not a coward or a liar. You're actually the most honest person I have ever met and I'm...an idiot for forgetting that." He took her hands in his, rubbing his thumbs over them.

"What you did wasn't okay." Kassidy looked up at him through her lashes as her anger was slowly depleting.

"I know." Jace grimaced at the tone his girlfriend carried.

"It hurt."

"Tell me what I need to do to fix this, and I'll do it."

"I just need you to trust me." Was her answer. "Even if I do have secrets, because if I do then it's-it's a good reason. Okay, can you do that?"

"Yeah, I can do that." He nodded. "I trust you, with everything in me." Giving her a light peak on the lips, Jace pulled her into a hug.

"I hate fighting with you." Kas' voice was muffled since her face was pressed into his shirt.

Jace tucked her head under his chin. "I do too."

—-------

We finally got some sister bonding time! I had a lot of fun writing their little conversation. Did you guys like reading it? Cause I know Clary get's a really bad wrap in S1, especially in fanfic when she has a sister. But, I do think that her wanting to know more about her twin (that she didn't know existed till hours ago), is in character. Do you guys think so?

Also, do you think Kas forgave Jace too fast? I'm kinda on the fence about it, but I think it worked out. But, if you think it was to fast, bare-in-mind, Kassidy doesn't know half of what Jace said about her. She only knows what he said to her. Make sense?

Another thing, did the whole reason on how one's a warlock and the other's a shadowhunter make sense? Because I tried to make it not confusing and honestly, making up the reason was the first thing I did when I began thinking up Kas' character. Let me know if it was!

Anyways, make smart decisions!

-DA

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

78.2K 1.4K 18
What if Clary had a twin? What is she was Calmer than her sister? What happens when they hit 18? What if she catches the eyes of Alec Lightwood and M...
94.6K 2.5K 34
Elizabeth Fray is the fraternal twin sister to clary fray. Even though they were twins they were nothing alike were clary was an artist and outgoing...
205K 3.1K 25
Shadow Hunters are people that are half angel half mundane (human). They protect the human word from the demon world, downworlders. Kayla Wayland is...
48.9K 977 15
Clary Fray has a twin. Skylar. Skylar and Clary are complete opposites and had never got along but there world took a turn on their 18th birthday. Wi...